Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Talk

• Start Topic

I had given up on this show after the horrible season 2, but now that season 4 just came out I thought I’d give season 3 a chance. 

This show is disgusting. I’m up to episode 6 and I guess what we’re supposed to learn so far from this show is that serial rapists are people too and we just need to  forgive them and give them a chance, because underneath all the rape, they’re just good people at heart. 

What the fucking fuck? Why is this show retconning to make Bryce the poor sad victim!?

I hate Ani and her goddamn stupid fake-sounding omniscient narration. I hope it ends up that she killed Bryce because otherwise her character is just the worst. 

Why is the discussion for all episodes crammed into one thread? I don’t remember it being that way for season 2. I can’t read anything that’s been posted because it’s not separated by episode. That’s the dumbest way to discuss a streaming show where all episodes drop at once. By the time I will have seen the whole thing, I’ll have forgotten what I wanted to discuss from earlier episode. 

• Useful 1

Finished the season!

Now that I have read everyone else’s thoughts I’m glad I am not alone in hating Ani! That was a complete writing fail, because I think we were supposed to actually like her. Best line of the season was Justin saying “Fuck off!” to Ani. I wanted to punch her myself when she confronted Jessica with her “I slept with your rapist, what did you do!?” bullshit.

I really hope they got enough backlash about her that they wrote her out of season 4. If I start season 4 and hear her grating voice start narrating, I am done for good. 

The Tyler storyline was excellent. The scene of him confessing what happened to Clay is some of the strongest acting I’ve ever seen, in any medium. Everything else in the season though... 🤮 Well, isn’t is awfully convenient that Monty gets killed offscreen just at the exact moment when they need a scapegoat to blame for the murder? For a moment I was actually wondering if Tony paid the cartel guy to have someone take him out in jail, but I think that’s because I’ve also been binging “Breaking Bad” at the same time. 🤣

• Love 3

Have been rewatching Season 3 to prep for Season 4 and I have rethought my position on Ani. On second watch I found her COMPLETELY ANNOYING. I feel badly for the actress who does a great job with what she's given--this is completely not her fault and she is an excellent actress--but this is a structural error. For a series where so much is made of explosive secrets, who confides in whom, a character like Ani is a huge mistake. There are so many scenes where something interesting is happening onscreen and then Ani's voice floats over, telling us how to feel about it, bringing the momentum to a screeching halt. Like when Jessica made her "apology" at the rally--an amazing scene, she is able to take control of the moment and turn it into this righteous, powerful carol sung by the unheard....until you hear Ani telling us "Jessica was fearless...." Shut UP!  We know her! We've watched her evolve and grow for two seasons now! You just moved here two months ago! Anyone would've been a better narrator than her but I'm especially bitter that Sheri wasn't brought back.

• Love 9

I'm just now watching this season.    So far I'm just a little halfway through the season.    While I get that the British can make the end of the world sound great, it's totally unbelievable how everybody seems to be willing to share everything so easily with Miss Ari.    It was great seeing Justin be the one to push back on her interrogations.    And now that it's been revealed that she's had sex with Bryce, I'm calling it that she's the one who murdered him.    She seemed 'oh so convinced' that Bryce is a good guy that perhaps when shades of old Bryce appeared, i.e. he wants sex when she doesn't want it, she snapped and took him out.   Actually the fact that dead Bryce told Clay to go after Ari might be telegraphing her involvement in his demise.

It seems obvious that Clay is innocent the way Ari's suddenly willing to throw him under the bus.    Guess I'll find out in a few more episodes.   

On 9/2/2019 at 11:22 AM, truthaboutluv said:

I guess that answers my question about what the general viewer reaction was to Ani's character. That said, people need to take a chill pill and get a fucking life and learn to separate fiction from real life. And oh the irony of bullying an actress because you disliked her character on a show ABOUT the effects of bullying, among other things. 

Truly sad that people can treat her that way.   I didn't care much for the character but that doesn't give anyone the right to harass and bully the actress.    As several noted it is ironic the bullying she received considering the anti-bullying stance of the show.     With that said even though I wasn't thrilled with her role, I'm glad she's still with the show in Season 4.     Will be interesting to see if they do anything different with her character.    Plus now that she's made it a season on the show, maybe they'll pass the narration ball to someone else.

• Love 1

I really dont get it hannah telling the story made sense where did this english girl come from its rediculous all of a sudden they cant have a scene without her the story in this season should have been told by bryce she ruins it i cant watch it with her 

• Love 1
On 8/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, bettername2come said:

3x08

Why the hell is Porter allowed to have any kind of role in this investigation? What were they thinking? I love the subtle shade everyone throws at him about him and Bryce having issues and "Hannah went to an adult." I love that everyone stands up for Clay and I like that that was Porter's plan all along. Zach continues to be a decent and fair guy, respecting Clay and his desire to do what's right even if he doesn't consider him a friend. The scene between Tyler and Clay was good; I really liked Clay's awkwardness when he wanted to hug Tyler but was hesitant to ask if he could. I'm glad that secret's finally out even if it's just to Clay.

The way Tyler clung to Clay after a few seconds of the hug was really heartbreaking. You could tell how much he'd been holding in and needing the hug...

On 8/24/2020 at 8:47 PM, Eddieboy said:

I really dont get it hannah telling the story made sense where did this english girl come from its rediculous all of a sudden they cant have a scene without her the story in this season should have been told by bryce she ruins it i cant watch it with her 

Bryce narrating it could have been interesting. Or possibly different narrators each week?

• Love 1

Finally watched the finale. I feel like it went on too long. As nice as the scene with the photo show at Monet's was, I feel it might have ended better with the Thanksgiving at Clay's house. Or at least to have deleted the awkward scene of Clay meeting Ani's Mom. Or with Bryce's mom and grandfather (I was confused, because I thought at first Ani's mom was saying he'd died because she felt his pulse).

Though I suppose the Monet's shot was needed to juxtapose with the pulling the guns from the river shot. And I guess I understand the Winston thing at the end...that they needed the guns and Winston cliffhanger to preview season 4. Maybe part of me, without having watched Season 4 yet, but being spoiled on the ended, wishes it had just ended with this season. OK, I sort of wish it had just ended with Season 2, but I like Tyler's story arc in this one. And a few other parts. Not so much Ani though...

• Love 1

When a series wants to redeem a teen rapist, they need to do some research before they develop his character and events that create him.  Serial predators, who are sadists, are not amenable to therapy or change. They have no conscience and their tears are always for themselves, not others.  Their good deeds are part of their manipulative side.  So, letting a nice person defend him is not only a disservice to the story, but an insult to rape victims.  When, Ani got on the bed with Bryce twice!  She knew him……horrible. 

The flashbacks in time and who dunnit scenes were reminiscent of How To Get Away With Murder series.  It worked a little better there.  I don’t hate this show., but it can be annoying.   It’s much better than Euphoria.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1