Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Don't Cry for Me, Sirocco

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, smores said:

I found this really strange.  On other seasons they have invoked the "I'm your superior" thing and told the offending person what to do.  So I was really surprised that Joao and Hannah didn't basically step in and force Travis back to the boat and into his room until they had a chance to talk to Sandy about the issue.  That's what I would have done, were I in their shoes.  

It's particularly egregious to me given that he hit her in the face with the seat of the van when they were headed out for the evening.  Hannah and Aesha both were making a big deal (rightly so), about it.  Travis blew it off, Jack just kept trying to ask if they could be on a double date.  Hannah kept trying to get him to apologize for hitting Aesha in the face, which resulted in Travis saying "I don't see any bruising, so it's fine"  And yet Aesha then says that if she was the person who was slapped no one would make this fuss? Fuck right off.  

Perhaps use the juice to address the fire?

I'm really weird about telling time.  I can look at the clock or my watch and I KNOW what time it is, but I can't translate it into words right away, I have to think about it sometimes.  It drives my husband nuts.  He'll ask what time it is and I'm fairly likely to just hold out my arm so he can read my watch.  If I do answer, sometimes it's an awkward phrasing, like "ten past two thirty" instead of 2:40.  I don't know why, but it's like there's a weird block there.

LOL! I'm part of the generation that couldn't do math without a calculator.  I used to get asked what I would do if I didn't have a calculator and did I think I'd always have one with me?  I'd say yes, I planned to.  (I always thought it was a weird question given that people had calculator watches back in the 80s)  Turns out that yep, we pretty much do always have calculators with us everywhere now with our phones, so HA! I was right.  I've pointed this out to my parents several times.

That's part of the job when you are a chef, though.  Even if you do everything right and execute the dish perfectly, the guest just might not like it.  I've had things that I've ordered at a restaurant and it turns out that I just didn't like it.  The food was made properly, it was me who didn't like it.  Sometimes you have preferences, where 98% of people would think it's seasoned properly and the guest you have think the food is bland.  If that's the case, you need to adjust and season to their taste.  I have a relative that drowns everything in salt, I swear they must go through a shaker a month.  If I tasted any food that they had on their plate, I'd think I was trying to eat a salt lick.  Meanwhile, I rarely salt anything once it's on my plate, so they think everything I eat is bland.

Aesha is the worst. Talking about she would have laughed it off because it was a joke. Then on the after show saying that Joao is just self righteous and wants to be a hero. She’s officially annoying.

• Love 5
On 8/20/2019 at 12:31 AM, zoltana said:

On a better note - Ben's coming, Ben's coming!!!

Which brings us to the WWHL show several weeks ago when the "Ben is coming back" speculation started. The photo of Ben and the current cast all together at a restaurant is what sparked the speculation. Anyway......Hannah was asked by Andy if Ben was coming back and her response was, "Sorry, no". That was a big lie but I guess she was told not to spill the beans by production.

• Love 4
On 8/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, whydoievencare said:

However, there is this thing where the hour is divided into 100 units (a plant where I worked as a nurse used this) and times would be written as 10:25 (meaning 10:15am) or 13:50 (meaning 1:30pm).  I can't remember why this was used, but it was.  I agree June is lacking for whatever reason, but perhaps this is where her confusion lies?

You have GOT to be kidding. That makes no sense at all.

My husband and I both used military time on our jobs although we were not in the military. In military time, 10:15 would be 10:15 in the morning. !0:15 at night would be 22:15. Military time is based on a 24 hour clock.

What you described above is chaos, IMHO.

Edited by luvthepros
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, SimonSeymour said:

I randomly stumbled upon this show a few months ago after holding out for years, and now I’m hooked. I need to go back and read all of your comments about last night’s episode, but can someone please explain to me how the tipping works? $14,000 divided by 8 is $1,750, not $1,100. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Sandy doesn’t take a percentage, but even if she does, it still would be more than $1,100. ($1,555).  

Maybe the crew we rarely see (bridge crew, engineer) also get a cut?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, scrb said:

Is the yacht registered in France?

Isle of Man.  Douglas is the capital.  You can see the name written on the stern of the boat.  Isle of Man is self governing Crown Dependency.  Queen Elizabeth is, among her other titles, the Lord of Mann.  Their economy is dominated by insurance, online gambling, offshore banking, internet, all sorts of ways to get money flowing into a small-ish island between Ireland and Great Britain whose entire population could comfortably attend college football games together at a range of stadiums throughout the SEC and Big Ten.

15 hours ago, langford peel said:

I think based on past performance everyone is going to hate Ben.

Better yet, assign June to be his assistant.   Hilarity will ensue.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I felt sorry for June but Hannah, for once, is right.  June could have been the most amazing third stew ever and she would still go because she's the newest.  Period.  That's typically business.  Of course, June is not the amazing stew.  Good grief, the girl doesn't even know that a quarter past an hour is 15 minutes past, not 25.  (Face palm.)  

I don't fault Joao for saying the low tip was mostly due to the food issues.  I mean, the primary mentioned it himself as the only issue.  I like Anastasia but given that she was bringing just a few charters ago that her food saved the tip for the entire crew, it goes both ways.

I truly don't understand why the interior doesn't use some kind of cover while serving the food.  It's not like they're taking 5-10 steps from the galley and then putting the plates on the table.  And covering the food once it's plated might prevent issues like hair in the food (although, as I pointed out last week, all the females have long hair and their hair is always down, it seems, when they're serving.) 

I actually loved Joao a little bit for jumping on Travis for slapping Anastasia.  That is NOT funny.  It infuriated me that Travis tried to lessen what he'd done, saying it was a joke.  Putting your hands on someone is NEVER a joke.  I think I'm even angrier at Jack and Aesha for defending Travis.  There is no defense.  I mean, Travis hit Aesha in the face with the car seat.  She laughed it off like it was no big deal, which probably encourages him to continue to be a major drunken douchebag.  

Hannah, if you really can't stand drunk Travis (which is pretty much anytime Travis is off work), then quit sending him mixed signals.  Tell him flat out you are done with him, other than in a professional capacity.  The end.

And if Travis is drinking to excess because he hasn't been home and he wants to forget, then fucking GO HOME.  

I really don't want Colin to go, although I understand his motivations.  If he leaves, Joao is screwed.  Colin is really the only true worker he's got.  

Based on previews, unless the editing monkeys are screwing with us, it looked like Jack and Aesha were in a bottom bunk together.  The comment was mentioned to move Aesha into Jack's cabin (meaning that Travis would move into hers), as June would be leaving and Aesha may not want to share her bunk with the new male chef she didn't know.   If that happened, that would mean that Aesha would have the bottom bunk in Jack's cabin, since Travis had the bottom.  That would mean that Travis moved into Aesha and June's former cabin and June left.  So I'm hoping that once Captain Sandy talks to Colin, and begs him to stay, that he does.  Of course, he may go talk to June and June may tell him to stay, she doesn't want it, etc.

I don't dislike June.  She seems harmless although she's pretty dense.  Colin is far and away the better worker.  

Also looks like from previews that Anastasia is going to screw up, going back to third stew position.

A little OT but when Anastasia was chef, was Hannah her boss?  Because if not it seems like Hannah was out of line telling Ana that she was struggling and her food was hit or miss.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

I just think that there are those who view Junes challenges with insight and objectivity and then those who believe she deserves to be roasted at the stake with no remorse.

I'm not seeing any of that, and I haven' seen it even in sections you've quoted directly, but I could have missed it I suppose.  I think Hannah gets more of this, steadily, over time, than June ever has.  I see a lot of people bending over backwards to explain reasons why June doesn't answer her radio--I see a lot of understanding that there are people who process things at different rates--but I see a lot of people coming to the conclusion that she is not right for this job.

Surely you aren't arguing, though, that it is okay for someone who is laid off to say "bullshit" right to the face of their former boss?  I'd never swear (even a mild swear) at a boss.  We all understand the frustration of being laid off--that's not it.

• Love 10
On 8/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, Lizzing said:

At the risk of wildly going off toipc, if someone in their 20s doesn't know that a quarter of an hour is 15 minutes due to "digital technology" then this whole world is fucked more than I thought.  At the very least, they should have grown up watching TV and understood that Barney? Power Rangers? Thomas The Tank? or whatever the fuck was a half an hour in their childhood. 

Preach. If the kids aren’t taught in school their parents should do it. I learned this shit in kindergarten. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

This response is very similar to June’s response to both Hannah and Capt Sandy, that criticism of her job performance is a personal attack and if they only knew she was a nice girl, they wouldn’t say such things. It’s not like posters have some kind of June voodoo doll, wishing badness on her and celebrating her sadness. She sucked at this job, it was unpleasant to watch, now she’ll likely be leaving. That’s about as much commitment to “hating on” June that i’ve witnessed 🤷🏻‍♀️

To be fair, Capt Sandy said that June could’ve been the best at the job and this would’ve still been how it went down. All of this goes to Capt Sandy being an incredibly poor manager, more concerned with her screen time than anything. 

Speaking of, did anyone catch that Capt Sandy favorite moments clip show after the episode last night? It was so incredibly awkward, I cringed hard and wished her thirst would be sated already. 

Well I've admitted to sharing a bit of a connection to her so no worries. I express my understanding of her situation. I express my sadness of how she's perceived. I express my disappointment at the lack of kindness that is applied to June's situation. There's nothing wrong with advocating a bit of care when dealing with someone like June even if it is inconvenient. My argument is that being inconvenienced is all the excuse needed to blow off another person without much thought.  I noticed Hannah's dismissiveness and I'm just expressing how sad it is that people allow themselves to be so put off by a person like June to the point of not wanting to even be bothered. There was an air of coldness and detachment from some of the crew when dealing with June and I get some people don't want to be bothered with figuring out a way to give off a pleasant demeanor and air in a fast paced work environment but I do think there is way too much emphasis on excusing lack of decency by putting it all on the "culprit" which in this case is June.  I just like to share how I can relate to someone like her and why it isn't just black and white. I don't think being a bit nicer is a fairytale way of wanting the world to be even in the workplace. Just sharing my insight, as a person who can relate to where June is coming from. 

I used to work in a 3 floor flagship store (The Gap) in Herald Square Manhattan. New seasonal employees for the Christmas season. I would talk a cashier through a complete sale while at my own register ringing up my own customers and bagging items with a line that stretched across the store. I did it with a smile in my voice and never let the cashiers think they were being a bother cause I didn't want them to feel bad about asking for help. (Cause I know I used to feel super awkward when I was new and each and every mistake took a toll on me and made me wonder what my supervisors thought of me) They were so hesitant and very concerned about "bothering" me and I nipped that in the bud. Was I stressed the hell out, did they make mistakes that I had to start the walk through over while I'm still trying to maintain my line? Yup, but what are you gonna do? Roll your eyes, suck your teeth, give off bad vibes, make them feel bad cause they are messing up? Nah, not my brand of teamwork.  I like to advocate for the little guy/underdog that's all. I've always been that way.  

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

I'm not seeing any of that, and I haven' seen it even in sections you've quoted directly, but I could have missed it I suppose.  I think Hannah gets more of this, steadily, over time, than June ever has.  I see a lot of people bending over backwards to explain reasons why June doesn't answer her radio--I see a lot of understanding that there are people who process things at different rates--but I see a lot of people coming to the conclusion that she is not right for this job.

Surely you aren't arguing, though, that it is okay for someone who is laid off to say "bullshit" right to the face of their former boss?  I'd never swear (even a mild swear) at a boss.  We all understand the frustration of being laid off--that's not it.

My defense of June comes from a place where I think it's shitty to have such disdain for someone based on issues that, to me, obviously stem from something other than them "just being unlikable" or being bad at their job.

That's just me. It doesn't have to be what anyone else observes but I know I observed it. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, 65mickey said:

It's not that kids today don't know what an analog clock looks like or not knowing that one with the big hand on 3 and little hand on 6 means 6:15. It's that I don't think too many of them would say "let's meet at quarter past 6 for dinner or school starts at half past 8."  Isn't it far more common to say lets meet at 6:15 for dinner and school starts at 8:30?  I haven't heard half past the hour in years. Most people June's age use smart phones and apple watches for telling the time. They are not looking at analog clocks. Terminology changes with technology. 

Not to mention I grew up with analog clocks and welp my brain just didn't process that whole quarter til stuff until I was older and ran into people who used those terms. I can't recall using those terms with my friends. Then again we didn't really schedule our meetings. We were outside hanging out with whoever was around and went home either when the street lights went on or the sun went down. No half past this or quarter til that flying around til maybe I had a job. Good thing too cause I didn't have my basic time telling skills down til I was well into my teens anyway so that terminology would have really fucked me up. LOL!!!!

• Love 1

The chef should make sure anyone serving their food has clean hands and their hair tied back..... 

June is not well suited for a job on a mega yacht. Sandy could have given her a heads up that it was possible she wouldn’t be needed for the next charter. 

Attitude reflects leadership- and Sandy is not a sound leader. 

Ayesha is a hypocrite. She shared her history as a sexual abuse survivor yet laughs it off when her friend drunkenly slaps a woman ( who is also her friend). 

Jack was amusing in a “ good time Charlie” kind of way, but now he just looks like a lazy loser. 

Don’t want Colin to leave but he is way too good for that life. No doubt he is probably meeting tons of girls now- he should go home, meet a nice girl and settle down. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

I see things a bit differently WRT June & Anastasia. 

I see no kindness, humor, encouraging attitude, general positivity (except on herself when trying to tell herself "*I* got this!") I see an ice cold, disingenuous person when I see Anastasia. Putting others down and "I don't have time for this" or "I'm doing a job that requires actual BRAIN power" upon getting promoted to chef. Even putting down Aesha with that comment, who even now, praised having their "dream team back together" & "we missed you!" Anastasia just looks out for #1...Anastasia. & The chef role was for cred, not kindness of her heart. She bluntly told Travis off about his drinking but that's all the credit I'll give. She knew she was being filmed and it was her "duty to those who've had their personal space violated." I just don't like this girl's demeanor. And with her talking head "duh" to Cpt. Sandy over the "struggles in the galley" comment.  No wonder she can't take criticism and deflects and blames...she's damn full of herself without the account to cash those checks her mouth writes. 

I see why June left the pan on stove. Ana could've been working on something and stepped away briefly. After her attitude toward June in general and even once when June asked "are guests up?" Ana sniped "how should *I* know? I'm in the galley!" June said "It looked like you were plating a plate of food. " June is sick and f'n tired of explaining herself to these cold stones. Treating her like an idiot at every turn. I've been there and done that. I think June has an overall gentle nature and is kind. Being an author and activist does take smarts. No one except on these forums has brought attention to June's accomplishments-also pointing out her passion for the industry and the ocean. She's pretty, a newbie to the boat & an easy target for mean girls.

Travis should've been gone especially after the slap heard round the world. Can't believe he couldn't muster a "sorry" for hitting Aesha with the car's seat. A**ho*e! Jack is lazy & in heat...bad combo.  Still, the romance between him and Aesha is sweet and refreshing. 

Colin's over it & I'm over it. 

I miss BD original when it was season 1-3. 

THANK YOU!!!! 

Especially the to the bolded. It may not have been overtly obvious but June was faced with a rather rude and disinterested reception upon arrival. Which of course set the stage and immediately put June's defenses up. Defenses that didn't serve her well but still. If you leave yourself open to it a lot of evidence and explanations to June's behavior/ reactions presents itself in the footage.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

The chef should make sure anyone serving their food has clean hands and their hair tied back..... 

The hair in question was apparently a short male hair so it was an issue of it being pulled back.

10 hours ago, smores said:

That's part of the job when you are a chef, though.  Even if you do everything right and execute the dish perfectly, the guest just might not like it. 

Not the way Sandy has done it. Previous guest criticism of the food has come from the stew because it makes it more comfortable for everyone the guest doesn’t have to complain directly to the chef’s face and the chef can vent about how the guest sucks rather than having to stand there and take it with a smile on their face.

Sandy has done everything wrong in managing Anastasia from not listening to her when she first stated that she would rather be third stew, Sandy applied pressure, guilt, praise, and promises of support to get her to take the job. She then went about to undermine her and destroy her confidence from pulling Travis even during dinner service, all the other chefs have had access to a deck hand to help them with dinner service, to making Anastasia stand there while she asked the guests to tell her everything that was wrong so she would “learn” which is a question designed to get at the nitpicks and hyper focus on the smallest of things they probably wouldn’t notice if not asked to be critical. Anastasia might have been in over her head but Sandy put her hand on her head and forced her to drown.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

June could have been the most amazing third stew ever and she would still go because she's the newest.  Period.  That's typically business. 

I agree. There was more to this comment originally, but I accidentally erased it and couldn't remember what it was when I went back to correct it. 🤦‍♀️

3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

A little OT but when Anastasia was chef, was Hannah her boss?  Because if not it seems like Hannah was out of line telling Ana that she was struggling and her food was hit or miss.

The chef is her own department head, however, part of the chef stew's job is to give the chef feedback, especially from the guests. I think we even saw Mila complaining when that didn't happen. With Hannah and Anatasia, though, Hannah was pretty upfront with Anastasia about wanting her back in the third stew position. She was manipulating Anastasia but Anastasia knew it and knew she could rely on Hannah to support her decision to leave the kitchen.

Edited by Passing Strange
typo
3 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I didn’t see anyone bending over backwards to explain June not answering her radio. I guess some of us just don’t get the big deal when one of the deckhands puts hands on another employee, another can’t clean a banister properly, another loves to make crude jokes in front of the boss, and another has a breakdown, can’t deal with the job she agreed to take and expects to be able to waltz into her old position?? Let’s not pretend that these are your typical bank or marketing firm employees here. 

I can’t speak for anyone else but I will argue that it’s totally cool to tell a former boss that something is bullshit. Having worked with several lousy managers in my career I don’t have the attitude that “the boss is always right.” While yes it was stupid of June If she plans to use Sandy as a reference, I am not privy to that information.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Preach. If the kids aren’t taught in school their parents should do it. I learned this shit in kindergarten. 

I'm pretty sure my 11 old son doesn't know about a quarter til or half past, But now that I know it's such a sore spot with so many people I'll rush right home and make sure he's got it all down pat... LOL. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, BluBrd47 said:

I didn’t see anyone bending over backwards to explain June not answering her radio. I guess some of us just don’t get the big deal when one of the deckhands puts hands on another employee, another can’t clean a banister properly, another loves to make crude jokes in front of the boss, and another has a breakdown, can’t deal with the job she agreed to take and expects to be able to waltz into her old position?? Let’s not pretend that these are your typical bank or marketing firm employees here. 

I can’t speak for anyone else but I will argue that it’s totally cool to tell a former boss that something is bullshit. Having worked with several lousy managers in my career I don’t have the attitude that “the boss is always right.” While yes it was stupid of June If she plans to use Sandy as a reference, I am not privy to that information.

Well to be fair some of us were coming up with plausible reasons why she's would take her earpiece out or turn down the volume. I did it to offer up an explanation that didn't suggest June was being a purposeful douche, trying to avoid any task that may be conveyed through the radio by Hannah.  Considering she was usually shown performing some sort of chore when not answering the radio I found it funny to think she was trying to avoid work by ignoring the radio.

But yeah, there have been some truly dickish behavior from a number of the crew that I feel reached much further into absolutely unacceptable territory than any of June's infractions. But what do I know? LOL!

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

yeah, there have been some truly dickish behavior from a number of the crew that I feel reached much further into absolutely unacceptable territory than any of June's infractions. But what do I know? LOL!

Just because other people are worse doesn’t mean that June shouldn’t be criticized. There isn’t much to say about Jack being a lazy asshole who refuses to do his job, Travis being an alcoholic who should be fired, Colin being nice but sort of boring and Aesha being inappropriate but all of those things have been stated.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Just because other people are worse doesn’t mean that June shouldn’t be criticized. There isn’t much to say about Jack being a lazy asshole who refuses to do his job, Travis being an alcoholic who should be fired, Colin being nice but sort of boring and Aesha being inappropriate but all of those things have been stated.

Meanwhile there's a lot MORE to be said about a person who confuses the time. hhhmmmmm.

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I am definitely critical of June’s job performance not critical of her being bitter over getting laid off. She wasn’t told she was being let go for bad performance. She said clearly that her issue was the dishonesty with which the situation was presented.

Edited by BluBrd47
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Yours Truly said:

Meanwhile there's a lot MORE to be said about a person who confuses the time. hhhmmmmm.

Because there is more to discuss and a difference of opinion. Everyone being in agreement about something doesn’t typically lead to discussion so I don’t understand the mystery.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BluBrd47 said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but I will argue that it’s totally cool to tell a former boss that something is bullshit.

I swear up a storm at home, but I'd never swear at anyone out and about, and especially not if it could come back to bite me professionally or personally!   To me it's just wrong.  But to each their own.

And no, this is not to imply any of the rest of them are so great and wonderful and June is awful.  I can assess each of them separately.  I don't need to approve of mildly bad behavior just because someone has terribly bad behavior.  That's whataboutism.  

ETA:  Anyone who doesn't understand a quarter of an hour never had three other siblings who all also loved cake.  Ha!  Quarter of a cake--the cake is round--the clock is round--quarter of an hour!  

Maybe one of Anastasia's earlier cakes...mmmm!

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 9
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Because there is more to discuss and a difference of opinion. Everyone being in agreement about something doesn’t typically lead to discussion so I don’t understand the mystery.

Not a mystery just an observation.

Well, actually, picking apart the actions of a person like June with such disdain does pique the curious side of me a bit I must admit.  The crews behavior is so outlandish at times and rather boorish and it's interesting to see people who behave the way they do have so much side eye for June. The ease in which they weren't too interested in making her feel included just reflect on what passes as normal and acceptable interactions now a days (Well then again, I experienced that in my youth too). 

My interest of conversation lies with the Junes of the world and how quickly they are regulated to "not worth it" territory only to be dismissed without a second thought.  Which happened when she was easily dismissed and sent home without another thought. Just expressing how disappointing I find that to be is all. 

Totally agreed with her when she said it was bullshit and glad that she stood up for herself and didn't putter off all nice and quietly so that noone was made to feel uncomfortable for her dismissal. No one worried about her comfort level the whole damn time she was there with her awkwardness and confusion so why the hell should she skip off without anyone having to feel bad. Which at the end of the day they really don't so I'm with her. Fuck 'em. 

:-)

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I swear up a storm at home, but I'd never swear at anyone out and about, and especially not if it could come back to bite me professionally or personally!   To me it's just wrong.  But to each their own.

And no, this is not to imply any of the rest of them are so great and wonderful and June is awful.  I can assess each of them separately.  I don't need to approve of mildly bad behavior just because someone has terribly bad behavior.  That's whataboutism.  

ETA:  Anyone who doesn't understand a quarter of an hour never had three other siblings who all also loved cake.  Ha!  Quarter of a cake--the cake is round--the clock is round--quarter of an hour!  

Maybe one of Anastasia's earlier cakes...mmmm!

Who has the mildly bad behavior versus the terribly bad behavior? To me June was in the first category the rest in the second. We probably just have a difference of opinion there and that is totally cool. If you have to make a judgement call about who is going to remain employed on a boat you definitely have to use some elements of whataboutism. I think we happen to disagree with how Sandy employed it and that’s totally cool too.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

y interest of conversation lies with the Junes of the world and how quickly they are regulated to "not worth it territory" only to be dismissed without a second thought.  Wh

I am not June’s job counselor, though if I were I would tell her that her skills and challenges don’t appear to make yachting a good fit for her and perhaps she should look into something that more strongly fits with her strengths, she calls herself a yoga teacher so concentrate on that which is also a way to travel and see the world because it’s often easy to pick up some classes under the table. It’s a message board about discussing a tv show and she is a stew and not doing a very good job of it, pointing that out doesn’t mean she is being dismissed as not worthy as a human being.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Not a mystery just an observation.

Well, actually, picking apart the actions of a person like June with such disdain does pique the curious side of me a bit I must admit.  The crews behavior is so outlandish at times and rather boorish and it's interesting to see people who behave the way they do have so much side eye for June. The ease in which they aren't too interested in making her feel included just reflect on what passes as normal and acceptable interactions now a days (Well then again, I experienced that in my youth too). 

My interest of conversation lies with the Junes of the world and how quickly they are regulated to "not worth it territory" only to be dismissed without a second thought.  Which happened when she was easily dismissed and sent home without another thought. Just expressing how disappointing I find that to be is all. 

Totally agreed with her when she said it was bullshit and glad that she stood up for herself and didn't putter off all nice and quietly so that noone was made to feel uncomfortable for her dismissal. No one worried about her comfort level the whole damn time she was there with her awkwardness and confusion so why the hell should she skip off without anyone having to feel bad. Which at the end of the day they really don't so I'm with her. Fuck 'em. 

🙂

Wish I could love your post a thousand times. If I feel passionate about these issues perhaps it was because I was  quite the blond space cadet in my 20’s. I also suffered a lot of personal dramas that affected me and made me seem even spacier. I have learned to compensate for my weaknesses over the last twenty years with the help of some patient managers and pure grit. You would probably be surprised at how grateful those former coworkers at that NYC store you describe are for you 🙂

Edited by BluBrd47
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

I am not June’s job counselor, though if I were I would tell her that her skills and challenges don’t appear to make yachting a good fit for her and perhaps she should look into something that more strongly fits with her strengths, she calls herself a yoga teacher so concentrate on that which is also a way to travel and see the world because it’s often easy to pick up some classes under the table. It’s a message board about discussing a tv show and she is a stew and not doing a very good job of it, pointing that out doesn’t mean she is being dismissed as not worthy as a human being.

I was assessing the crews treatment of her. And yes there is a strong distaste for June that I find odd but again differences of opinion are going to happen. 

It's informative to gauge the different thought process that goes on when responding to different kinds of people. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BluBrd47 said:

Who has the mildly bad behavior versus the terribly bad behavior? To me June was in the first category the rest in the second. We probably just have a difference of opinion there and that is totally cool. If you have to make a judgement call about who is going to remain employed on a boat you definitely have to use some elements of whataboutism. I think we happen to disagree with how Sandy employed it and that’s totally cool too.

I'm not even thinking about it in terms of who should leave.  I am isolating the swearing and calling it mildly bad behavior.  It's not falling down drunk, it's not slapping someone, it's not half-assing your work for weeks, but that doesn't excuse it.  And I agree that Sandy is a bad manager too.  I've had some amazing bosses and some awful bosses, and one of the hardest things I've ever had to do was keeping my reactions to some things one boss did to me inside so I wouldn't endanger future career possibilities.  

I wasn't operating from the "June shouldn't have been let go because X Y or Z are worse or did this and that."  I just mentioned the swearing in asking @Yours Truly if it bothered them at all--you answered and said you didn't--to each their own, as I said above.  I don't think it was wise and I didn't find it pleasant, just as I don't find watching others bleepity-swear pleasant either!  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Colin said on Twitter that she had really wanted to be out on deck. I’m sure she could have cleaned a banister better than Travis. I’m not sure saying that yachting isn’t the best industry is technically correct, although I respect your opinion.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BluBrd47 said:

I’m sure she could have cleaned a banister better than Travis.

That was Jack. Given that she couldn’t deal with her radio, process things quickly, or do anything like even shout for Anastasia that her pan was filling the galley with smoke I don’t think she would have thrived on the deck where reacting quickly is typically more important not to mention knowing distances and clock placement which is often used to describe the locations of other things in the water. She also struggled carrying things up the hill for the picnic so I don’t think she would have been up to the tasks physically.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Jobiska said:

I'm not even thinking about it in terms of who should leave.  I am isolating the swearing and calling it mildly bad behavior.  It's not falling down drunk, it's not slapping someone, it's not half-assing your work for weeks, but that doesn't excuse it.  And I agree that Sandy is a bad manager too.  I've had some amazing bosses and some awful bosses, and one of the hardest things I've ever had to do was keeping my reactions to some things one boss did to me inside so I wouldn't endanger future career possibilities.  

I wasn't operating from the "June shouldn't have been let go because X Y or Z are worse or did this and that."  I just mentioned the swearing in asking @Yours Truly if it bothered them at all--you answered and said you didn't--to each their own, as I said above.  I don't think it was wise and I didn't find it pleasant, just as I don't find watching others bleepity-swear pleasant either!  

I get it, although I really find saying something is bullshit is less offensive than scratching your vagina?? Yes that wasn’t in front of Sandy but still! 

To be fair I grew up in a family that used a lot of profanity. I actually think Aesha is hilarious if not always professional. 

14 minutes ago, BluBrd47 said:

Wish I could love your post a thousand times. If I feel passionate about these issues perhaps it was because I was  quite the blond space cadet in my 20’s. I also suffered a lot of personal dramas that affected me and made me seem even spacier. I have learned to compensate for my weaknesses over the last twenty years with the help of some patient managers and pure grit. You would probably be surprised at how grateful those former coworkers at that NYC store you describe are for you 🙂

Well Thanks for that! :-)

I was one also and like you learned to compensate for my weaknesses over the years. Hugely beneficial because, not to pat my own back, but I'm quite the capable adult and am VERY well versed in so many things now. Deliberately being made to feel "stupid" by those time telling geniuses (LOL) gave me the motivation to always be as informed as possible before speaking on anything. Not to say I'd always have the answer but I learned to be silent until I knew exactly what I was talking about. I also learned how to correct myself and correct anyone who would think it was okay to try to inflict shame and embarrassed on the off chance that I didn't catch myself and did say something stupid or to more accurately describe it misspeak.  I became quite the force to be reckoned with. I do feel frustrated with people I come across who haven't made the adjustments necessary but I remind myself that it's not my place to chastise anyone. It's not my right to take out my irritation out of someone who is lacking. I don't know when that became an acceptable response. Some people will always have their quirks. I don't think people should get in the habit of deciding which one's deserve public humiliation and which one's are cool to laugh off.  Cause then you find yourself witnessing a drunk slapping an unsuspecting female, expecting the "cool kids" to just laugh it off while everyone else is "overreacting".  Just sayin'.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4

Did I miss something or wasn't June getting a handle on the routine? Was that her 3rd Charter? And besides the pan (which was Anatasia who left on a hot burner to begin with btw) did June contribute to any real and true chaos to any of the charters. Aside from inducing a million eye rolls from Hannah what exactly did she completely Facocked and on a regular basis? 

I get the safety issue about the radio and how hella annoying it was to not have her respond but now that I really think about it what was so stand out terrible about her performance? Her turn downs were not perfect, got it. She didn't push some chairs back in. Okay, better kiss that tip goodbye <sarcasm> the forgotten forks on the picnic. Oh please lets rewind every season and they've forgotten way more important shit than some plastic forks. Alcohol, food, etc. What else? I mean, she hardly sent the interior into chaos so I'm trying to think back to what made her sooooooo much worse than any other stew and their mistakes?

Seems a bit out of proportion is all. 

It's going to be funny when we see Stacia's upcoming mistakes. By then mistakes will be taken in stride I'm sure. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Aside from inducing a million eye rolls from Hannah what

And praise from Hannah when she did something positive. All we saw of June being on the groove was setting up the table centerpiece and responding that she would go on break to her radio so bare minimum but fine. Starring at a smoking pan is a pretty big deal. Anastasia acknowledged it was her fault but so was June’s lack of action which she didn’t think was a big deal.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, BluBrd47 said:

Also, why on earth would Nastia leave the galley with a pan on the stove? Isn’t that common sense 101?

She complained earlier about how the ovens were going off and on or just a total lapse in judgement. 

19 minutes ago, BluBrd47 said:

Also, why on earth would Nastia leave the galley with a pan on the stove? Isn’t that common sense 101?

Welp, I'm sure she knows what a quarter past the hour means so she gets a pass doncha kno'. 

😉 Lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 8/20/2019 at 12:02 AM, LotusFlower said:

Exactly.  Colin’s swap idea was ridiculous.  I think he’s just been really unhappy since day one, and saw this as an opportunity to leave.  But it won’t fly for the reasons you stated.  

The part that surprises me is the tv angle.  I always got the impression he enjoyed being on tv and the whole reality tv-fame thing, so I’m surprised he’s ok with walking away from that.  For this season and I guess future seasons.

I agree he’s homesick, but I actually think it’s the crew that he’s uncomfortable with. Other than J-Wow, he hasn’t bonded really with anyone. Colin is more wholesomely goofy whereas Jack, Aesha and Travis are vulgar and overly sexual. Hannah and Anastasia are cold and superior acting. Then there’s June who isn’t interested in him. He’s been more of a friend to her than she has to him. He’s over pretty much all of them, but I agree, Colin will not be the one who goes home. It’s definitely June, who undoubtedly got pregnant either before or after filming. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, msblossom said:

So you think June stays and Colin leaves? I don’t see it  

It does appear she’s pregnant, obviously I’m speculating...

I was taking about her being pregnant, she is not pregnant, she recently talked about being sick on IG and doctors not knowing what’s wrong with her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

There's nothing wrong with advocating a bit of care when dealing with someone like June even if it is inconvenient. My argument is that being inconvenienced is all the excuse needed to blow off another person without much thought.  I noticed Hannah's dismissiveness and I'm just expressing how sad it is that people allow themselves to be so put off by a person like June to the point of not wanting to even be bothered. There was an air of coldness and detachment from some of the crew when dealing with June and I get some people don't want to be bothered with figuring out a way to give off a pleasant demeanor and air in a fast paced work environment but I do think there is way too much emphasis on excusing lack of decency by putting it all on the "culprit" which in this case is June.

It's a job, not play camp. June was hired to do a job - a job that she is apparently mediocre at on a good day. A job that requires her to be able to: tell time so she knows what shifts she is on; wear her ear piece for the entire time she is on a shift so that the captain and crew can communicate with her; carry out her duties in a timely and efficient manner without bitching about them. These are basic, essential aspects of the job she was hired to do. What I have seen is someone who is slow and spaced out when doing her job and needs her supervisor to check her work to make sure she's done it properly; refuses to wear her ear piece until her Captain finally bitched her out and traded radios with her to make sure she wears it so, yanno, her crew members can communicate with her and include her in their communications; and someone who seems to bitch about her job - walking to the top of that mountain for the guests lunch, I think she made a comment about laundry or something else. She has also been evasive and weird when the crew was asking her questions in an attempt to get to know her better. So yeah, she's a weirdo, she's bad at her job (except when it involves throwing cheap Party City feathers on the table for a Mardi Gras theme), ignores the basic rules of the boat (including DOING something about a smoking galley), and is stand offish and difficult to get to know.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

It's a job, not play camp. June was hired to do a job - a job that she is apparently mediocre at on a good day. A job that requires her to be able to: tell time so she knows what shifts she is on; wear her ear piece for the entire time she is on a shift so that the captain and crew can communicate with her; carry out her duties in a timely and efficient manner without bitching about them. These are basic, essential aspects of the job she was hired to do. What I have seen is someone who is slow and spaced out when doing her job and needs her supervisor to check her work to make sure she's done it properly; refuses to wear her ear piece until her Captain finally bitched her out and traded radios with her to make sure she wears it so, yanno, her crew members can communicate with her and include her in their communications; and someone who seems to bitch about her job - walking to the top of that mountain for the guests lunch, I think she made a comment about laundry or something else. She has also been evasive and weird when the crew was asking her questions in an attempt to get to know her better. So yeah, she's a weirdo, she's bad at her job (except when it involves throwing cheap Party City feathers on the table for a Mardi Gras theme), ignores the basic rules of the boat (including DOING something about a smoking galley), and is stand offish and difficult to get to know.

Well the pressing her on information about herself was more intrusive than anything but hey that's just me. I think the only question that got lobbied at her was if she had a boyfriend. That's being nosy not trying to get to know someone but tomato tomahto.

Hey, I'm all about managing my anger and frustration when dealing with challenging people, in life and at work.  Unfortunately that's not everyone's philosophy and I get that. That's the world for ya. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BluBrd47 said:

Colin said on Twitter that she had really wanted to be out on deck.

It's funny how we've seen a number of stews who would rather do deck crew work, but none of them have come across as fundamentally incapable of doing interior work. They've seemed entitled, immature, and resistant to authority, but they've still done the work even if it was with a completely snotty attitude. We've seen Tiffany and Rocky act like this. We've seen deck crew be forced to do some interior work. For the most part they haven't acted like June either. The reality is that most don't come across like June because there is something about June that is  fundamentally unsuited to this environment.

• Love 11