Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Don't Cry for Me, Sirocco

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Jsage said:

No one seems to be faulting Anastasia for not being able to stick it out as chef for the last few charters so why should Colin be expected to? His mental state indicates depression and anxiety, just like Anastasia is expressing the anxiety she is feeling. If Sandy can praise Anastasia for being honest and allow her to step down, she should do the same for Colin and allow him to leave. Yes, the crew will be sad to see him go and all of us will too, but his mental health should be the fist and foremost concern.

This. We forget that you have to be around these people 24/7 without any respite. When Hannah and Joao are the “nicest” and most stable members of the crew you are in deep shit. Add in a womanizing ego maniac and it is time to say goodbye. 

These idiots are also acting out to get screen time and perhaps be invited back next season. So much of their behavior is exaggerated. Colin doesn’t need to do that as he is already a fan favorite and if he leaves on a high note he only reinforces that. The honest expression of anger and disgust at Travis after he was justifying hitting Anastasia and was backed up by the rest of the crew is enough to make you say I don’t want to be around these people. The money isn’t worth it and it is great drama for TV purposes.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, missyb said:

The yachtie life was not for him and he knew it. The Bravolebrity part? Thats another story.

It seems (at least from what we saw) that one of the worst parts of it was the going out with a bunch of drunk idiots. Me? I'd stay back on the boat and read a book 🙂

• Love 16
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

It seems (at least from what we saw) that one of the worst parts of it was the going out with a bunch of drunk idiots. Me? I'd stay back on the boat and read a book 🙂

I think he's probably contractually obligated to participate in these outings.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Special K said:

I think he's probably contractually obligated to participate in these outings.

I think that’s right and that is enough for you to want to quit. It’s just not worth it. Not everyone is Tamra Judge or Ramona holding on to Bravo “stardom” with overly gelled fingernails until they bleed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Sad that in today's society that the younger generations cannot tell time on an actual clock face (all digiital) read or understand cursive, even signatures in printing (looks like a 6th grader wrote/signed something) or read an actual book from the library (paper pages and binding!) SAD!!! Technology is not all it is cracked up to be. I'm only in my 50's but WTH?

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Do they really not teach kids to tell time using a clock face anymore? I remember learning that as part of school in like maybe 1st grade.

2 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

They still do in New York lol. My kids range from 9-15, they all learned with a clock face, at home and in school.

That said, my dad is in his 70s and has always had a mental block when it came to referencing time by quarters. If i said we were meeting at, say, a quarter to 1:00, he always clarifies out loud “12:45”. To be fair, he has never thought the quarter in time meant 25. That might just be a June ~specialty. 

1 hour ago, VAMom said:

My kids learned this in elementary school and they are now 12 and 14, they absolutely know what a quarter past an hour is.  They’ve also read library books.  I am sad about the lack of cursive.  June is not terribly smart, that isn’t a reflection on today’s education.

I don't think it's generational or regional.

Maybe June never grasped the concept. Adrienne Bailon is 35 and a New Yorker. Completely clueless.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It was my impression that the guest barfed not because he was drunk but because he was seasick from the rough seas--some of the guests, and even Aesha when running breakfast food, could not walk stably!  It was morning, wasn't it?  I mean he could have had a hangover that added to the motion sickness, but it was mostly the motion.

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

It was my impression that the guest barfed not because he was drunk but because he was seasick from the rough seas--some of the guests, and even Aesha when running breakfast food, could not walk stably!  It was morning, wasn't it?  I mean he could have had a hangover that added to the motion sickness, but it was mostly the motion.

yes that was my impression as well. A lot was made about the roughness of the sea. (And I recall my little boy barfing from the top deck of a boat taking us to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef. Just like the guest, it ended up making an unpleasant view for the folks down below (fortunately just on the plastic screen). They quickly got us a bucket.) But when you gotta barf, you gotta barf.

• Love 6

I randomly stumbled upon this show a few months ago after holding out for years, and now I’m hooked. I need to go back and read all of your comments about last night’s episode, but can someone please explain to me how the tipping works? $14,000 divided by 8 is $1,750, not $1,100. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Sandy doesn’t take a percentage, but even if she does, it still would be more than $1,100. ($1,555).  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, spunky said:

I’m officially over Aesha. She thinks it’s okay that Travis slapped Anastasia, and is mad at Joao because he was ready to beat the snot out of Travis because it was a “joke”. Nothing about a man hitting a woman is funny. The same way Jack’s tasteless rape joke wasn’t funny. Those three are just trash and need to be fired instead of June. Joao was taking names this episode, he was just ready for those two clowns. I personally feel as though João wanted to knock either Travis or Jack out a long time ago, he just needed a reason. I guess he didn’t have bail money.

I don't get it, and I'm kind of pissed at Aesha, as well.  I don't understand how someone who has experienced a crime of violence against women (rape being an act of violence) could possibly condone Travis' behavior, whether drunk or not!  

I really don't like Aesha at all - she continually goes low, with her sexual innuendos or flat out overtly sexual comments and behaviors, and now, she defends a drunkard slapping a woman, claiming "love tap"??  I have no respect for a woman that goes along with that.

She saw how shocked and upset Ana was, and yet, she still defends Travis?  

I'm not always a fan of Joao, but good for him for snapping at Travis!!

Also, so very sad that Colin seemed to have reached his breaking point with this low rent crew.   

• Love 17

I think there are a couple other people than just the filmed "cast." Such as the guys who are actually making sure the boat runs. I don't recall whether all the numbers were in dollars or euros, but I think the extra couple of people explain the difference.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, SimonSeymour said:

I randomly stumbled upon this show a few months ago after holding out for years, and now I’m hooked. I need to go back and read all of your comments about last night’s episode, but can someone please explain to me how the tipping works? $14,000 divided by 8 is $1,750, not $1,100. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Sandy doesn’t take a percentage, but even if she does, it still would be more than $1,100. ($1,555).  

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

I think there are a couple other people than just the filmed "cast." Such as the guys who are actually making sure the boat runs. I don't recall whether all the numbers were in dollars or euros, but I think the extra couple of people explain the difference.

I think the Captain gets two shares.  I don't know how many invisible real crew there are.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Special K said:

When Anastasia got all "I'm going to do something" about Travis, I was sure she was going to report it to Sandy.  Then when she was summing up in her conversation to Travis ("there are never any consequences to your actions"), I was SURE she was going to say, "And of course you know that I have to report this to the Captain."  But no. 

There seems to be an unspoken rule in the yachting world that you don't involve the Captain in off charter crew shenanigans, so I'm not surprised.  I remember a BD season where Kate was accused of telling Captain Lee about damage done to one of the staterooms by a crew member off charter.  Kate had not told him, he saw damage himself and asked about it.  She was adamant that she'd never do that, almost in the vain of "snitches get stitches". 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

🙄 just watched the aftershow clips and hes defending what he did! Apparently its a cultural thing (Hannah says its not as a fellow Aussie) and everyone should just ease up and it was just fun etc. and Jack and Aesha defend him again. His attitude towards Anastasia is just awful, you don't get to dictate the terms of how someone feels or ambush them with an apology without giving them a chance to process or say their piece. https://www.bravotv.com/below-deck-mediterranean/season-4/episode-12/videos/did-anastasia-surmava-want-to-make-travis

Hannah says the first week there Jack slapped her on the arse and she had to tell him off for it. He tried to pass it off as a joke. https://www.bravotv.com/below-deck-mediterranean/season-4/episode-12/videos/hannah-ferrier-it-is-not-acceptable-to

Then in another clip Travis and Jack are talking about how they would have thrown the guest who puked overboard and hit him if they'd been thrown up on because you just don't do something like that to another person. Personally I would be way more likely to forgive someone who threw up by accident than someone who deliberately slapped me. https://www.bravotv.com/below-deck-mediterranean/season-4/episode-12/videos/aesha-scott-and-the-cameraman-never-got-an

Travis might be my most hated of all time from both Below Deck Med and Below Deck classic. Hated Chandler from last season of Below Deck but at least he had the grace not to go on the aftershow and make excuses for his shitty behaviour.

In Travis' head hes a "nice guy" who calls out Mila on her homophobic remarks and I'm sure thinks of himself as a feminist cause he hits women the same as he hits men.His support of Anastasia when she was a chef means he can do whatever he likes and she should just smile and nod. In reality hes an angry drunk who can't take any accountability.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
14 minutes ago, Lamima said:

There are like 2 engineers or something like that. Or a first mate and an engineer or something. Help drive and run the boat.

Well-that is a good thing for anyone on a charter with Captain Sandy - she really seems to prefer to be all over the ship instead of in the wheelhouse, driving it!  She doesn't seem to do as much "captain" stuff like Captain Lee, and she really enjoys being on camera and the center of attention.

Comparing her to Captain Lee - Sandy is constantly checking on/helping out with the deck crew's responsibilities - we've seen her supervising/assisting with setting up the toys, etc.  I don't EVER recall Lee doing any of that!  I guess that's a good thing, but is it, really?  She also spends a much larger amount of time with the guests than Captain Lee.  He maybe has one dinner or meal with the guests and advises them when they have to change itineraries.  Sandy is all about screen time - from her "pacing" and worrying over what to do about a chef while being filmed, to being all huggy and lovey with Joao (and now, Jack).  Captain Lee is a salty guy, but he also seems to receive a lot more respect from his crews.  Sandy, to me, is just too friendly and crosses a superior/crew line too many times.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, spunky said:

Her whole time confusion wasn’t a big deal to me. It was the fact that she saw the overheating pan and went on about her way. I do believe there is something going on with her cognitive wise. It appears as though it takes her longer to process things. 

I think so too which is why she's so focused on people understanding that she's a good person. She knows her slowness will frustrate and aggravate people but hopes that they are the type of people who respond to the type of person someone is first and not just on their abilities. She NEEDS that learning curve but unfortunately it's more common for people to berate and be negative than it is for people to step back and figure out a more diplomatic way to offer feedback and criticism. You can tell off the bat that she had some anxiety about how she would be received.

The pan situation was so sad to see cause you can tell she just decided it wasn't her place to override what Anastasia started.  I believe in her mind June was all well I guess this is what she's meant for it to do and I don't want to mess with what she's got going on. I don't think she trusts herself to make decisions which is why she like direct instruction. I hope she eventually finds her stride when it comes to dealing with things and finds whatever works for her. She's got some challenges in front of her for sure. 

• Love 8

June- you could almost see the wheels turning, trying to figure out what the word "redundant" meant, and then when it dawned on her, she reacted (badly). She really is a dim bulb that one.

Sandy- she is too invested in the crew stuff. Example- she was silently showing that she was 'psyched" when Joao went to reprimand Jack for not doing anything but moving the rag up the banister.

• Love 3

Travis deserved to be fired for striking Ana. And shame on Aesha for condoning that behaviour as being 'playful' or 'having fun.'  She needs to take several seats. 

Not sad to see June go (hopefully not Colin!) but I found Captain Sandy was very cold in how she handled the news. I find Sandy very hot/cold in her moods. She was very lovely to Mila who was absolute shit as a chef, and gave her many chances, but was sorta like. "okay, June, see ya. Nothing personal. It's yachting." Anyway. Even though June is a complete airhead she did deserve a bit more warmth. She may not have fit into the role, but it was kind of disturbing how the three girls were embracing, and Aesha was proudly saying the dream team was back. Seems two faced to me. 

I'm on the fence with Joao. He has behaviour has improved this season, but I feel he is trying very hard to conceal his alter ego...the Jwow misogyny still rears his ugly head from time to time.

I adore Colin. He mentioned on WWHL that he now has a girlfriend. I hope she's a  keeper, and treats him well. He deserves so much happiness, and success. He's a solid gold dude. ❤️ I wish the world had more people like him. I hope he stays on the boat, and does not give up his job so June can have it. 

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Well-that is a good thing for anyone on a charter with Captain Sandy - she really seems to prefer to be all over the ship instead of in the wheelhouse, driving it!  She doesn't seem to do as much "captain" stuff like Captain Lee, and she really enjoys being on camera and the center of attention.

Comparing her to Captain Lee - Sandy is constantly checking on/helping out with the deck crew's responsibilities - we've seen her supervising/assisting with setting up the toys, etc.  I don't EVER recall Lee doing any of that!  I guess that's a good thing, but is it, really?  She also spends a much larger amount of time with the guests than Captain Lee.  He maybe has one dinner or meal with the guests and advises them when they have to change itineraries.  Sandy is all about screen time - from her "pacing" and worrying over what to do about a chef while being filmed, to being all huggy and lovey with Joao (and now, Jack).  Captain Lee is a salty guy, but he also seems to receive a lot more respect from his crews.  Sandy, to me, is just too friendly and crosses a superior/crew line too many times.

I agree. Captain Sandy is very thirsty for camera time. She wants to be the star and insert herself in almost all the situations. It's like she was hanging back in the shadows to jump out and ask the guests about the food. Multiple times. I don't recall Captain Lee ever doing that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Barbara Please said:

It's like she was hanging back in the shadows to jump out and ask the guests about the food. Multiple times. I don't recall Captain Lee ever doing that. 

I agree she's thirsty, but I think in regards to asking about the food, Ana was basically on probation and Sandy was her probation officer. She wanted to know whether any improvement was showing. I agree that Ana was way too "it's something's fault other than me." I kinda liked when Ana said "stuff gets cold, I'm plating all by my little wee self, etc." and Sandy just said "we'll put the plates in the oven." Duh.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Jlina said:

Thing is it isn't "a quarter passed," it's a "quarter past" meaning 1/4 of a 60 minute hour.  The context in which it's said means it literally cannot mean 25 minutes. It's almost more of a word problem than a math problem.

Y'all I gave up Sling TV figuring this show wasn't worth $20 a month!! But dang I'd of liked to see this 🙂

The point is I understand the confusion. And I meant quarter past, ooooppps there's that pesky addle brained moment some if no most people experience. Actually that's a perfect example of the point I was trying to make. Silly mistakes are a part of life. We all have Jessica Simpson moments and it isn't for anyone else to try and calculate, analyze to the tee A quarter past whatever means a quarter of an hour then your mind has to go to what is 1/4 of an hour which would be 60 divided by 4.  That is actually a math equation, but the thing is most people already know or automatically understand the wording (a quarter past, a quarter to) is 15 when it comes to time. How do people know this? Welp, in my case I'm pretty sure I was corrected by someone when I assumed a quarter past the hour was 25 minutes. Other people probably put two and two together and the logic just jumped out at them which is awesome. All I'm saying is that I don't find it such a Oh My God thing to see someone confuse this.

Not for nothing, i just recently saw a meme that said something like "I hate when I ask for the time and you tell me a quarter past..., Ummmm, I didn't ask for an algebraic equation." That tells me that it is something that catches people. Not just June and me. LOL 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, scrb said:

June seemed to work hard, she’s nothing like Jack.

When she said she was getting into a groove , I knew she was a goner.

Did Bravo not tell her she could be off the show?  Was she really counting on that money from the full charter?

She’s pretty which is good for TV but not emotional enough for reality shows though she got a little heated to be let go.

Would Bravo recast her instead of someone like Aesha, whose outlandish behavior is better suited to trashy TV?

The girls were two faced though, hugging her, trying to be consoling and then celebrating gleefully about Ana staying and June going.

I guess Ana didn’t want to leave either, again for money or wanting to be on TV.

See that's what I found to be a legitimate gripe of June's. IF she wasn't told ahead of time that the position may in fact be temporary and that she may just be a placeholder then I agree with her annoyance. Reality or not, business is business and the employers aren't the only ones who should be allowed to call shots. A person has a right to have all the information before moving forward with taking a position. It's already a short gig from beginning to end and she was coming on in the middle of it which made it even shorter. I don't think it's wrong for her to expect to be able to finish the season.

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She frequently messed up, ignored a burning pan and getting into a grove literally involved her successfully being able to layout decorations that Aesha gathered for her on a lazy susan.

Messing up isn't the same as belligerently and purposely doing as little as possible which is the case with Jack. I'd rather have someone who does some kind of work and isn't constantly trying to hide somewhere avoiding work than the hot mess Jack is. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Special K said:

Do they really not teach kids to tell time using a clock face anymore? I remember learning that as part of school in like maybe 1st grade.

I learned with a clock face but also had digital watches. I'm Gen X so I'm still among the old school crew. I still had a problem with time for a while. I recognized my issues with processing things, I get through life just fine. I'm not special needs or anything but things tended to go over my head but over the years I've recognized the pit falls and basically built my confidence up enough so that I don't let misspeaking or confusion turn into a potential shaming moment. I don't allow mean spirited reactions and I rather cleverly shoot down insensitive and rude responses a lot of people tend to have. Not with me you don't. Which is why I'm a bit protective of June. She just hasn't found her stride and hopefully she figures out how to process things in a more timely manner as well as find a way to defend herself against people who would like nothing more than to cut her down because of it. I'm rooting for her. 

5 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

They still do in New York lol. My kids range from 9-15, they all learned with a clock face, at home and in school.

That said, my dad is in his 70s and has always had a mental block when it came to referencing time by quarters. If i said we were meeting at, say, a quarter to 1:00, he always clarifies out loud “12:45”. To be fair, he has never thought the quarter in time meant 25. That might just be a June ~specialty. 

Nope me too... I'm over it now tho.. LOL

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

See that's what I found to be a legitimate gripe of June's. IF she wasn't told ahead of time that the position may in fact be temporary and that she may just be a placeholder then I agree with her annoyance. Reality or not, business is business and the employers aren't the only ones who should be allowed to call shots. A person has a right to have all the information before moving forward with taking a position. It's already a short gig from beginning to end and she was coming on in the middle of it which made it even shorter. I don't think it's wrong for her to expect to be able to finish the season.

I'm wondering if the employment laws on the yacht is subject to European laws since it's located in French ports.

Is the yacht registered in France?

Or would Bravo be the employer and they can make the cast sign contracts which supersede local laws?

Or would they be subject to local taxes for instance.  When NBA players go play in Toronto, they have to pay Canadian income taxes for income they earned for that particular game.

Though typically the IRS doesn't tax you for income earned overseas up to a certain amount.  Maybe on a reality TV show, with tips being shown on TV, these cast members are grossing well into 6-figures, in which case they might be well over the income limit for avoiding double taxation.

If tax laws apply to the cast, then maybe employment laws do, and I know that in Europe, it's generally harder to terminate people.  They don't have at-will jobs, meaning the employer can terminate any time.

So maybe June would be off the show but Bravo is liable to pay the full value of the contract she signed.

If that were the case, maybe this whole thing is another fake controversy and they encouraged her to act upset, even if she's still going to walk away with as much money as she might earn in a year.

Or maybe she really wanted to be on TV as much as possible, including beyond this season.

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

For a quarter she said it literally had nothing to do with time. 

And. What's the point?

June comes up with lame explanations, most likely to try and make it not sound so dumb. To me it sounds like her quickly trying to wave off one of her dingbat moments with something she THINKS sound better than the reality.

Doesn't ever work tho.

What is so hard to believe that June just gets confused? I'm not understand the obsession of trying to make June into this whole other thing. Is it that important that she's label a villain in this crew of BD? It's so odd to me. 

5 hours ago, dosodog said:

We do.  I started substitute teaching this year, in 4 different districts. Every district at one point, had a section on teaching time for kinder and 1st grade.  But not after that. 

I strive to be a kind person....I so would have started messing with June by using military time.

As a whole, we seem to be more aghast at June telling time and June ignoring the smoke, rather than Travis slapping a co worker hard enough for me to hear on camera.  Regardless that he was drunk, what his intent was, whether the crew likes him.

Since it's tv, I'm inclined to believe Capt. Sandy knows, but. Has to have Bravo's permission to fire.  

THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

What is so hard to believe that June just gets confused?

Because it’s not that she just gets confused it’s a consistent pattern of behavior along with lack of taking responsibility for her mistakes and acting like she is some special snowflake that everyone should just deal with the fact that she isn’t very good at her job. Her reaction to getting let go by Sandy with her “but I helped them!!!” was such whiney ridiculous bullsuit. You were on a list of backup people available at the last minute to work on a reality show at the lowest position if not you there would have been someone else. Perhaps someone who wouldn’t be flumoxed by even the most basic of tasks and elementary school skills like telling time and to sound an alarm/get help when there is smoke or a fire (an adult should do more but she couldn’t even do what I would expect of my seven year old niece).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't think it's generational or regional.

Maybe June never grasped the concept. Adrienne Bailon is 35 and a New Yorker. Completely clueless.

THIS!!!!! 

I knew she was going to make a mistake on the hour cause I had the SAME problem!! The hour hand gets close to the next hour when the minutes are in the last quarter range and I would have a hard time telling what the hour was cause it's about to be 9 (in the case of this video) so I'm sure she saw the hour hand lingering right around the 9. Man that's used to drive me crazy and counting the minutes (5, 10, 15, 20) Yup I used to have to do that around the clock as well. So you see it took me a while to grasp all that so it's no wonder that half past, a quarter til, a quarter after didn't come into play until waaaaayyyyyyy later. Lol.

Ain't nobody got TIME for that, when you're still trying figure out what the little hand and big hand are trying to tell you. LMAO!!!!

Oh and yeah, I grew up in New York too.. Hee!

Sandy is all about screen time - from her "pacing" and worrying over what to do about a chef while being filmed, to being all huggy and lovey with Joao (and now, Jack). 

I was so frustrated with Sandy about being all proud of Jack for arranging the toys. Does she realize the whole time he was working on his "artful display", Colin and Joao were probably doing grunt work and cleaning the rails Jack half-assed earlier? 

• Love 14

Captain Lee is a much better leader than Sandy.  He would not have put up with Jack and Travis.  Lee would give Jack one warning about his "work avoidance issues" then would have sent his ass home.  Travis' drunken behavior was an embarrassment to the boat.  If that were not enough Travis struck Ana.  I think Captain Lee would be really tempted to physically remove Travis' sorry ass from his boat.  

• Love 17
33 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Because it’s not that she just gets confused it’s a consistent pattern of behavior along with lack of taking responsibility for her mistakes and acting like she is some special snowflake that everyone should just deal with the fact that she isn’t very good at her job. Her reaction to getting let go by Sandy with her “but I helped them!!!” was such whiney ridiculous bullsuit. You were on a list of backup people available at the last minute to work on a reality show at the lowest position if not you there would have been someone else. Perhaps someone who wouldn’t be flumoxed by even the most basic of tasks and elementary school skills like telling time and to sound an alarm/get help when there is smoke or a fire (an adult should do more but she couldn’t even do what I would expect of my seven year old niece).

The consistent pattern is that she doesn't process quickly. Why is that translated into something she should be treated meanly for and deserving of nasty reactions? Her lame explanations are stemming from her insecurities and embarrassment over making stupid mistakes. 

Someone not being good at their job doesn't mean it's okay to make them feel bad. Sorry if that's too elementary for some but it's sorta sad that the go to treatment of some with obvious disadvantages is to be angry and resentful. 

She also has a right to be angry about being let go. I don't know of anyone who would skip out of a job after being prematurely let go just cause with a smile and a wink and a "No problem"... As bad at her job as some would like to think she was that wasn't the reason she was given for being let go. The reason she was given is definitely grounds for her to be upset. "Oh sorry, don't need you anymore, see ya." Come on in what professional environment would that be okay? And yes, this show is categorized in a somewhat professional way. 

Just because she's had challenging moments with her job doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the right to be upset at how that all went down. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Sandy- she is too invested in the crew stuff. Example- she was silently showing that she was 'psyched" when Joao went to reprimand Jack for not doing anything but moving the rag up the banister.

When I was in college and went shopping with one of my friends, we would egg each other on against our better judgment to buy a cute shirt or whatever by saying "get it!  get it!  get it!"  

It was almost the same tone as Sandy telling Joao "Get him!"  but hers was more urgent, yet gleeful, like someone siccing a dog on someone else!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

The consistent pattern is that she doesn't process quickly.

Or process at all or take RESPONSIBILITY for her actions.

When you take a temp job you aren’t guaranteed it will last and how she responded to Sandy illustrates that the short term gig world of yachting isn’t for her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SimonSeymour said:

2 hours ago, PaperTree said:

I think the Captain gets two shares.  I don't know how many invisible real crew there are.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

2 hours ago, Lamima said:

There are like 2 engineers or something like that. Or a first mate and an engineer or something. Help drive and run the boat.

The captain, first mate, and engineer share in the tip. The first mate is the actual department head that the bosun and the engineer report to.

There's not enough transparency on the show about ordering supplies, but I think there is an off screen purser who helps with the ordering. For sure, a decent amount of it goes through the chief steward/stewardess. But there is a very distinct type of cheapness when the chief stew has had to order special props and decor for guests for theme parties. Normally a ship stays in a region long enough for the chief stew to really get to know many of the vendors; the show doesn't really allow for that.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

The consistent pattern is that she doesn't process quickly.

To me, it just means this is probably not the right job for her.  The fact that her slow processing means others have to work harder does become a workplace issue.  Or that maybe a fire starts in the galley.  Not that she should be treated unkindly, but work is work, and jobs have specific standards.

Having said that, I think that if she were a little more socially at ease in general, people might be more helpful to her.  But socializing is - again - part of this particular job.  It's your job to interact smoothly and professionally with strangers all day while serving their needs.  She just doesn't seem cut out for this work at all, and her processing speed is not the only issue.  Plus, she seems absolutely miserable.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Or process at all or take RESPONSIBILITY for her actions.

When you take a temp job you aren’t guaranteed it will last and how she responded to Sandy illustrates that the short term gig world of yachting isn’t for her.

Did she know it was a temp job? That's the issue. It seems like she wasn't told that there were some kinks in the crew line up and that her position might be temporary. That's where I have the most issue. It's a seasoned gig, slotted for a particular timeframe. One would assume the position is guaranteed until the SCHEDULED end of the season unless some fireable offense has occurred. The reason she was given for being let go wasn't based on her work performance it was based on some unprofessional ish and yet she's wrong? Nah, homie.. LOL

Responsibility for her actions? LMAO... You would think the girl was responsible for drowning a guest or losing the Tinder the way her minor work infractions have been trumped up to mean so so much. HEEEEEEEEE!

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

The reason she was given is definitely grounds for her to be upset. "Oh sorry, don't need you anymore, see ya."  Come on in what professional environment would that be okay? 

Just because she's had challenging moments with her job doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the right to be upset at how that all went down. 

Seriously? I'm trying to think of a professional environment I've had in the last thirty years where it's not okay. Layoffs and firings happen all the time and for any reason the company can come up with. The only exception would be a union job, and those are few and far between these days. And the general rule is, 'Last Hired, First Fired', which certainly fits June's situation.

That doesn't mean June doesn't have a right to be mad or upset, but welcome to the modern job market.

• Love 19
24 minutes ago, Special K said:

To me, it just means this is probably not the right job for her.  The fact that her slow processing means others have to work harder does become a workplace issue.  Or that maybe a fire starts in the galley.  Not that she should be treated unkindly, but work is work, and jobs have specific standards.

Having said that, I think that if she were a little more socially at ease in general, people might be more helpful to her.  But socializing is - again - part of this particular job.  It's your job to interact smoothly and professionally with strangers all day while serving their needs.  She just doesn't seem cut out for this work at all, and her processing speed is not the only issue.  Plus, she seems absolutely miserable.

You are right on the money. I agree that it's a very unfortunate place to be in. For her and her co-workers and I don't disregard the extra work she causes. My take is just about the negative ways things are being handled with her. There's nothing wrong with sympathizing and giving a boost to someone in Junes position and I don't think that she should be carried for her entire career but I do think it's not completely unreasonable to give people like June A) A bit of a learning curve. B)Some understanding in general with regards to her social discomfort and C) Patience and encouragement even when she's faultering or even GASP shooting herself in her own foot with flimsy excuses cause she's too embarrassed to admit her mistakes. 

I come from the ancient clan of the kind hearted I can't help it... LOL!

3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

All of these things are when you don’t sign a contract, there is also about a week and a half left.

I'm sorry do you know the particulars of June's hiring?

I'm seriously asking. Do you have some info that the rest of us don't?

Just wondering...

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, dsteele said:

Seriously? I'm trying to think of a professional environment I've had in the last thirty years where it's not okay. Layoffs and firings happen all the time and for any reason the company can come up with. The only exception would be a union job, and those are few and far between these days. And the general rule is, 'Last Hired, First Fired', which certainly fits June's situation.

That doesn't mean June doesn't have a right to be mad or upset, but welcome to the modern job market.

You're right.

And Yeah, my point wasn't that it can't happen it was more to outline who is just going to skip out of a job that does that on such short notice all smiles? I've been laid off and it was done VERY regretfully with some semblance of concern and reassurance which was reflected in the form of SEVERANCE. LOL. 

Expecting June to be all kumbaya about it is funny to me that's all. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 3

I think that it is unfair the June is the one to go. Anastasia was the one to mess up the cooking, not June. Anastasia was the one who said she could do the job, not June. Anastasia was the reason a new crew member had to be brought in - not June. 

June hasn't done anything wrong, Anastasia has, therefore she should be the one to go. She created the mess in the first place ! 

As for the smoking pan, she was keeping an eye on it, she wasn't ignoring it. And as for the rest of the stuff, she is just a little slow, but i think most of that is the editing for the show, she hasn't done anything really wrong at all !

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

June hasn't done anything wrong, Anastasia has, therefore she should be the one to go. She created the mess in the first place ! 

June has done many things wrong. Sandy is the one who created this mess in the first place and didn’t give her the support needed. Rewatching season one of the original series I was reminded that even Ben had CJ to help him with dinner service and sometimes at lunch. Sandy pulling Travis from helping even at dinner service was crazy bullshit.

Anastasia did a favor for the boat because Sandy said that is what she wanted and that she could do it. Anastasia is also the one who decided that she could no longer handle it, Sandy wouldn’t have fired her but Anastasia also realized that she might lose her job. Anastasia also demonstrated that she was much more of an asset to the boat and the interior team than June.

I think that it is unfair the June is the one to go. Anastasia was the one to mess up the cooking, not June. Anastasia was the one who said she could do the job, not June. Anastasia was the reason a new crew member had to be brought in - not June. 

As for the smoking pan, she was keeping an eye on it, she wasn't ignoring it. And as for the rest of the stuff, she is just a little slow, but i think most of that is the editing for the show, she hasn't done anything really wrong at all !

she wasn't ignoring it. And as for the rest of the stuff, she is just a little slow, but i think most of that is the editing for the show, she hasn't done anything really wrong at all !

It was a smoking dry pan that isn’t something you keep an eye on.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, snarts said:

There seems to be an unspoken rule in the yachting world that you don't involve the Captain in off charter crew shenanigans, so I'm not surprised.  I remember a BD season where Kate was accused of telling Captain Lee about damage done to one of the staterooms by a crew member off charter.  Kate had not told him, he saw damage himself and asked about it.  She was adamant that she'd never do that, almost in the vain of "snitches get stitches". 

It's actually funny because the mothership has a long history of Captain Lee punishing the crew and firing crew for off charter shenanigans. He has grounded them and confined them to the ship. He fired hair model Trevor and Dane for off charter actions.

The thing that was astonishingly stupid about the damaged wall panel snitching discussion is that there is no way Lee wasn't going to investigate when an engineering work order comes in saying that the wall panel controls for their $10,000 Japanese robot toilet were damaged. Kyle had asked to use the room for a wank in private. Nico, Lauren, and Ben decided to get wasted, barge into the room, and trash it. Kyle ended up leaving the room as the group got rowdy. You are right about not squealing because Kyle could have extricated himself from the mess, but he didn't.

Sandy is a massive micromanager, but it's amazing how often she doesn't notice or catch developing issues.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

All of these things are when you don’t sign a contract, there is also about a week and a half left.

I haven't seen the contract, but it would be very unusual not to include a termination clause. First, because almost all 'gig' jobs do. Second, because in several instances Lee and Sandy have referred to their ability to fire any of the crew members at will. I vaguely recall Lee discussing this during the Rocky debacle, which is reflected here:

"However, Rosbach can fire the crew once they’re on board. 'I can’t speak directly to if anybody gets fired or something to that effect, but I can tell you that I do have that authority, yes,' he said."
https://tinyurl.com/y68chf9m

Also here:
"Captain Lee has the authority to fire anyone on the boat he deems unfit. That said, incompetence (to some degree) usually makes for darn good Below Deck, and a rotating cast would make for pretty bad Below Deck. So, some people who wouldn't make an hour in yachting get to try their hand at it for the full six weeks."
https://tinyurl.com/y6ky4vvs

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I do agree with this.  If you take a promotion and you're replaced, your old job is filled.  If you screw up the job you're promoted into, you don't have the right to go back to the other job.  At least not in most workplaces.  Last in, first out really only applies with people doing the same job.

I think Anastasia is now the one who is "redundant."  Failing at that job was the risk she took by taking it, and she should have offered to leave the boat when she talked to Sandy about it.  It seems, though, that there was an unspoken (or unaired) agreement between Sandy and Anastasia that Sandy had a chef "on call" because I think Sandy said something like, "I'll see if that chef is still available."

If this is the case, that they had a chef waiting in the wings for when Anastasia inevitably cried "Uncle," then even more they should have warned June that it might be a very temporary gig.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, dsteele said:

I haven't seen the contract, but it would be very unusual not to include a termination clause

In yachting you often sign a contract for a specific charter period.

4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

In yachting you often sign a contract for a specific charter period.

Of course. But that's a separate issue from a termination clause. The length of a contract doesn't mean you can't be terminated before its conclusion.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dsteele said:

Of course. But that's a separate issue from a termination clause. The length of a contract doesn't mean you can't be terminated before its conclusion.

I didn’t mean to imply you could.