Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: It's All About the Money, Honey

Rule #1: Keep your personal phone and your work phone separate.

Rule #2: Don't hire a dimbulb bimbo to run your organization.

Rule #3: Don't sleep with your employees.

I just can't anymore.

• LOL 3
  • Love 15

oooohkay so we are back where we were a season ago, aren't we?

On the plus side: Kelsey and Zane can homp all they want now they are at the same employee level again.

As the Social Media strategist, Lauren should have access to Kelsey's Millenial SM accounts, and her Millenial and private SM should be kept sepperate. (imho, its a very Millenial problem that they often let these things overlap on purpose, because followers)

Nice realisitation from Josh that not letting go of Liza isn't good for her either, but he wont stick to it. And does he really expect Claire to not take the job if he manages to make more money? It sure sucks that she would have to move to LA, but honestly, why can't Josh just move his business to the West Coast or open another studio there.

In this episode, there actually was some chemistry between Charles and Liza. It was cute. But his assessment of her rushing to Chicago was absolutely right, and he has every right to be pissed that Josh keeps popping up all the time.

Diana's wedding dress will be so over the top, I can not wait.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 7

The soft pink dress that Diana tried on was so pretty and feminine. I don't know what kind of wedding she and Enzo are planning to have, but I liked it. On the other hand, I don't think that big fancy wedding gowns are reserved for 20 somethings. I say wear whatever you want (although maybe not the off white mandarin collar jumpsuit that Lauren had her eye on). I can't wait to see what kind of insane dress she  ends up wearing. I hope it's a wedding dress sized version of one of her huge necklaces!

I don't know why Josh has to stay in New York. He could open a tattoo shop in LA. And it's not like he has a huge network of friends and family in New York. As far as the show is concerned, his only friends are Liza, Lauren, Kelsey, and Maggie so there's nothing keeping him in New York.

Even though I was never a huge Claire fan, I am totally fine with her decision to take this job and move to LA. She is trying to provide Gemma with a future full of possibilities. No parent wants their child to struggle or be trapped due to their own financial situation.

I understand why Claire thinks this is a good opportunity. As she pointed out, two years ago she was working at a bar. She has no savings so if something were to happen, even something as minor as a medical emergency, she would be screwed. When she met Josh, this was her dream job and she finally has it. Why should she turn down a promotion just because he lives in New York? She could have gone back to Ireland after having the baby and he would have been faced with the same decision.

I really felt for Kelsey. I've been in situations when everyone is looking at the men in the room. Even after she started talking, they were still looking at Charles.

As soon as Kelsey shot that video, I knew she was going to accidentally post it to her insta stories instead of sending it to Zane. GIRL, that is why you (1) don't post while drunk (2) do not sign into your professional account on your personal phone.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even though I was never a huge Claire fan, I am totally fine with her decision to take this job and move to LA. She is trying to provide Gemma with a future full of possibilities. No parent wants their child to struggle or be trapped due to their own financial situation.

However, it is not her child, it is their child.  And apparently in New York state, a parent cannot take the child and move out of state without the other parent's permission or the court's permission.  Now this may get complicated if Claire isn't a U.S. citizen, but I seem to remember something about her getting her citizenship (or maybe I hallucinated that?)  At any rate, there are more factors to be considered by Claire than just what she wants to do, and it doesn't appear that she was factoring them in.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In this episode, there actually was some chemistry between Charles and Liza. It was cute. But his assessment of her rushing to Chicago was absolutely right, and he has every right to be pissed that Josh keeps popping up all the time.

Quote function not working right for me, so I've got Aulty's quote in ElectricBoogaloo's quote box..

I almost always see chemistry between Charles and Liza except when he is kissing her supposedly passionately.  When he gives her those quick goodbye style kisses, there is chemistry.  When they were being prevented from doing anything physical but were together close, I saw chemistry.  When she kisses him, I see chemistry.  However...when he is giving her a "making out" kiss, it's awful, and I remarked on it from the very start way back when he kissed her at the clothing store she worked at during her brief stint away from Empirical.

• Love 3

What?! Why would they reset everything and have Kelsey look like a competent business woman one minute and then firebomb her just a few scenes later?  and yes many many of us have had the men in the room dismiss us even when they agree with us or only look at the other men in the room.  I’m still fuming over the guy who agreed with my 38 YO self in a meeting by saying “the young lady is correct.”  Thanks OLD MAN.  so freaking condescending and my male friend who was in the room COULD NOT figure out why I was so mad after. “What? He agreed with you?”  Come on show! Just let her be competent!

And that “I’m not going to see Josh anymore” is just Ross/Rachel/Emily level bullshit. Which I guess to be fair Charles didn’t ask her to...  I’m so disappointed in you Liza. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The soft pink dress that Diana tried on was so pretty and feminine.

It was lovely, but it looked more mother of the bride than bride to me. Not even a statement necklace and earrings would change that. Diana was right to want something else.

Also, Claire is allowed to live her life. She shouldn't be tied to New York just because Josh is there. It sucks, but that's how it goes.

As soon as Kelsey shot that video, I knew she was going to accidentally post it to her insta stories instead of sending it to Zane. GIRL, that is why you (1) don't post while drunk (2) do not sign into your professional account on your personal phone.

As soon as she told the men her Instagram handle, I knew it would backfire on her. But props to her for knowing that leaving Millennial was the right thing to do for the company. That showed a level of maturity she hasn't had much of for a long time.

• Love 6

As for Kelsey's plot - meh, even though I always wondered where exactly her professionalism was hiding that was some heavy-handed writing. Look at the idiotic millennia who can't keep her private and public social media accounts apart *sigh* 

I agree that Josh should set up shop in LA - moving on for the good for the most important woman in his life (hint: it's not Liza). Of course that's not going to happen but I hope they're not going for a custody battle - no idea about the legal details but I remember that Bode Miller's custody battle was dealing with a similar scenario and it was pretty bitter and messy. And what the hell is up with Maggie? Why does she think the only reason for Claire to move is the money? Shouldn't Maggie of all people respect a woman's right to have her own career? Not the first time she's giving bad advice this season.

I wish I could be more invested in Liza's love-life but I really don't care anymore. I'm here for Diana's wedding dress - and that's about it. I would have liked to see that mandarin-collar jumpsuit with the lettuce hem, he! Seriously though, the little conversation between Liza and Diana in the bridal shop was the best part of the episode.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

Yeah, I'm getting sick of this Josh/Liza/Charles triangle. I think she's still a tiny bit infatuated with him because they've remained close friends and he makes her feel younger (pun intended), but playing someone in her 20s for so long is starting to go to her head and it's annoying. I really, really, really hope that she doesn't jeopardize her relationship with Charles because even if he weren't in the picture, she and Josh would never last because in the end, he is too young and immature and insecure for her.

I hope Clare goes to California because she deserves her American tech company dream and has obviously worked hard for it.

Can't wait for Diana's wedding!

Also, I'm not feeling sorry for Kelsey. She does not have the maturity and confidence to run a whole company. If not for Liza, she would have flopped a long time ago.

Edited by politichick
to add something
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, politichick said:

Also, I'm not feeling sorry for Kelsey. She does not have the maturity and confidence to run a whole company. If not for Liza, she would have flopped a long time ago.

Yeah, when Charles was at that investment meeting and said something like, "Every decision she has made since taking over has been excellent," I wanted to add "...as long as she has acted in consultation with Liza".  Remember just a few episodes ago, Kelsey wanted to text something work-related in anger or retaliation, and Liza counseled her not to?  (Can't remember what it was, but I think they were in a bar or at a function at the time.)  And wasn't it Charles' relationship with Liza that almost ruined the company, and yet Kelsey was doing the.exact.same.thing with Zane?  

• Love 4

Can someone please answer me this question: Are we all absolutely sure this baby is Josh's? Am I the only one waiting for the twist at the end, after Josh packs all his boxes, where some evidence comes to light that Gemma might NOT indeed be his child?

I'm fine here on my island of one, stoked for next week when Josh calls Liza out. They can't move on because they still love each other. Sometimes love doesn't look like what you thought it would look like and is, indeed, inconvenient.

And while we all have to take a magnifying glass and some flint to find chemistry between Charles and Liza, it's jumping off billboards and off my TV set every time Nico and Sutton share the screen. 

Kelsey is a petulant child. I'm sick of her playing Boss Woman. Go away. Give the job to Diana. Charles is a buffoon and I wouldn't trust him or Kelsey to run an ice cream stand let alone a publishing empire. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

But props to her for knowing that leaving Millennial was the right thing to do for the company. That showed a level of maturity she hasn't had much of for a long time.

She left Millennial!?  What the hell is she going to do now?  I didn't get that.

Oh my God Kelsey, this is why you keep your personal and professional accounts separate, and you ALWAYS make sure that you know where your sending a picture! Double check! I have never been all that impressed by Kelsey's business savy, but that was just embarrassing. I assume she is stepping down from her big exec job but will stay an editor, and honestly stepping down was probably her best move at that point. Of course why they dont just give the job to Diana (who has not flashed her Instagram followers OR tried to create a rival company lately) is anyone's guess.

I did feel bad about all the guys in the boardroom just talking to Charles at first, that really sucks, especially when your a younger woman. 

Josh really should just move to LA with Clare and their baby. He can open a tattoo studio there, and while thats certainly going to be a challenge, its not like he has a whole lot tying him to New York. He and Liza need some distance from each other. He needs to put his daughter over his ex girlfriend. 

Liza has such serious grass is always greener syndrome with Charles and Josh. With Josh, she feels like she wants someone more mature and stable, and with Charles she wants someone more young and fun. She just needs to commit to Charles and stop hanging out with her ex she clearly still has feelings for, or leave him and go to Josh. Just pick!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I almost always see chemistry between Charles and Liza except when he is kissing her supposedly passionately.  When he gives her those quick goodbye style kisses, there is chemistry.  When they were being prevented from doing anything physical but were together close, I saw chemistry.  When she kisses him, I see chemistry.  However...when he is giving her a "making out" kiss, it's awful, and I remarked on it from the very start way back when he kissed her at the clothing store she worked at during her brief stint away from Empirical.

I feel the same way. I think it’s because it doesn’t look like he kisses her on the lips when he initiates it. I haven't watched Peter Hermann enough to know if he always kisses awkwardly but it definitely takes something away from me in their scenes, which is unfortunate since I definite saw a stronger connection between Charles and Liza before they stated dating 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Can someone please answer me this question: Are we all absolutely sure this baby is Josh's?

Yes we are, they did a prenatal paternity test in the first episode.

And lets not forget, this baby takes away the pressure of Josh wanting a kid from a potential happy end with Liza, so I do not expect any twists there.

• Love 4

As they were in the meeting with the investors, I kept wondering when someone would bring up that they had missed payroll for at least 3 months in the past year (or so). I'm surprised anyone is still working at Millennial/whatever Charles's new imprint, and even more that people still think it might be an investment. (And at least one of times they missed payroll was because their last investor withdrew all her funds...)

And Claire has been head-hunted to be a senior program manager at Google? What experience does she actually have? The last work she was doing in tech was as an intern or something, right?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Aulty said:

Yes we are, they did a prenatal paternity test in the first episode.

And lets not forget, this baby takes away the pressure of Josh wanting a kid from a potential happy end with Liza, so I do not expect any twists there.

Thank you! I don't know how or why I missed this, but I appreciate the clarity. Now I can stop looking for potential anvils!

23 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Kelsey is a petulant child. I'm sick of her playing Boss Woman. Go away. Give the job to Diana. Charles is a buffoon and I wouldn't trust him or Kelsey to run an ice cream stand let alone a publishing empire. 

OMG so true. I was surprised when Kelsey was promoted over Diana. That was a big mistake. I was also surprised Diana didn't resign when that happened!

18 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I did feel bad about all the guys in the boardroom just talking to Charles at first, that really sucks, especially when your a younger woman. 

Normally, but not when the younger woman is incompetent.

Maybe Liza, Josh, and Charles should just become a thruple!

I think the costume department must hate Duff.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

I think the costume department must hate Duff.

Short and curvy doesn't usually fit well with current and faddish fashions.   It reminds me of  the way Alyssa Milano is styled on Project Runway All Stars because she has a similar build and rarely wear something that  I think flatters her on that show.   In style doesn't doesn't necessarily mean it's going to look good.

I'm tired of the Josh/Liza/Charles triangle.  I really hope that The Walking Dead keeps Nico Tortorella too busy for a fully involved season 7 of Younger.  Let the character move to California early on.  

• Love 3

It was obvious to me that Kelsey was uncomfortable being the head of Millennial from day one and felt like she was in over her head.  I don't know if putting her in that position was as much an insult to Millennials as it was a confirmation that maturity and experience count for something.  Because they should, even though we know that they often don't.  It looked to me like Kelsey was actually relieved to be given the opportunity to step down.  She took that out rather quickly.  I think she was thinking about a way to get out all along.  I fear that the show won't give the position to Diana even though she deserves it.  As far as Josh goes, if the show wants to make him scarcer, it will make him follow his daughter out to California.  Then it will have to find something (or someone) else to use to threaten Charles' and Liza's relationship, because you know they can't just leave it alone.

• Love 1

If Josh wants to franchise his business, it would've been plausible if he asked Infinitely 21 if they could set up shop over in California and manage a location over there, allowing him to travel between New York and LA. That would keep him in the show (with limited screen time) and get the sponsorship he's looking for AND would allow him to see his daughter more often.

Although I really can't be on board with him still being on the "Liza was the one that got away" train. His main priority should be finding ways to co-parent and support his kid now, period.

Edited by Eri
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Eri said:

If Josh wants to franchise his business, it would've been plausible if he asked Infinitely 21 if they could set up shop over in California and manage a location over there, allowing him to travel between New York and LA. That would keep him in the show (with limited screen time) and get the sponsorship he's looking for AND would allow him to see his daughter more often.

See this makes sense to me. I’ve seen the posts of “he should just move to CA” and I don’t know much about successful tattoo shops or the culture around them but I imagine he had to build a customer base and word of mouth over time. I don’t know it’s as easy as just set up shop somewhere else. Plus I imagine when they say CA they mean Mountain View, is he going to set up in San Fran? Not exactly cheap or easy to find real estate for a shop. 

Ok and that’s all the real world stuff I’m going to apply to a show where the main character should have been in SOOO much trouble with HR if not fired immediately. (I’m HR.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MissL said:

Plus I imagine when they say CA they mean Mountain View, is he going to set up in San Fran? Not exactly cheap or easy to find real estate for a shop. 

Claire specifically said she was hired for Google in LA.

Edited to add: a quick and superficial search through Google indicates that New York is home of Google's second largest office - she could have requested staying there (for family reasons).  

Edited by morakot
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, MissL said:

See this makes sense to me. I’ve seen the posts of “he should just move to CA” and I don’t know much about successful tattoo shops or the culture around them but I imagine he had to build a customer base and word of mouth over time. I don’t know it’s as easy as just set up shop somewhere else. Plus I imagine when they say CA they mean Mountain View, is he going to set up in San Fran? Not exactly cheap or easy to find real estate for a shop. 

Ok and that’s all the real world stuff I’m going to apply to a show where the main character should have been in SOOO much trouble with HR if not fired immediately. (I’m HR.)

Yeah, the whole plot is silly and the writers are all over the place - it just came to mind as Josh had been talking about expanding his business for a while now and he got good publicity with that magazine article written about Inkburg a season or so ago (I can't recall the specifics but didn't he get a reward of some kind?). 

The advert was successful enough to go national so I assumed Infinitely 21 would have other offices outside their HQ and LA is another fashion-conscious city. If his pitch is taken seriously and they follow through with the temporary exclusive idea, it would mean more exposure for *his* brand too if he decided to go in that direction. It could possibly work, but I was wringing my hands when he they made a "deal" after only 5 mins of conversation - get it in writing Josh, it's Business 101!

Edited by Eri

I’m surprised Claire’s green card application wasn’t in jeopardy when she and Josh divorced since their marriage was the whole reason she was allowed to stay. You can’t just say oops after a few months and end the relationship with those things. She would have been deported for marriage and immigration fraud. 

Since this is fictional and we have to overlook such things, I agree that Josh should look into expanding his business on the west coast. He was already thinking about expanding or changing up his business anyway, so why not do so to be with his kid. 

Sometimes this show is annoying how they will make things fine until suddenly it’s not. Kelsey is a smart business woman until she once again gets drunk and makes an immature decision for not the second or third time. Josh and Liza have been fine being friends all season until suddenly they can’t even be friends or in the same room anymore. It’s important for Liza to be absolutely truthful to Charles and their relationship until suddenly it’s a bad thing that she wanted to be the one to tell him about the photo in the ad. 

I’m happy Diana is getting her dream wedding, but I want her to be involved in the business decisions too. Diana should have been at that investors meeting too given her seniority in the company. I’m surprised since they used the Kleinfeld’s name that we didn’t get cameos from them given the popularity of Say Yes to the Dress. 

(edited)

I thought Maggie was terrible with Josh this episode. Claire wasn't trying to cut Josh out of the baby's life or deny him access but there was a great opportunity for her professionally and for her daughter in terms of being able to support her better financially. It's appalling that Maggie's first thought was that Josh should sue for custody. Given that part of Josh's character has been a kind of carefree attitude and that he's come close to giving up his tattoo shop more than once, it would make so much more sense for him to choose to move with them to California. Plan B wasn't much better. Josh finding a way to earn more money still keeps Claire from professional advancement. Also, how is one man doing tattoos in a Forever21 a business model that scales?

Kelsey telling Liza to delay telling Charles about the ad campaign felt like more terrible writing. 

The Instagram story... I can't. Kelsey is NOT responsible enough to run the company, I'm glad she was able to make the mature choice.

Edited by aradia22
Edited because Claire is Gemma's mom and Caitlyn is Liza's daughter
  • Love 1

However...when he is giving her a "making out" kiss, it's awful, and I remarked on it from the very start way back when he kissed her at the clothing store she worked at during her brief stint away from Empirical.

I agree. After reading this board, I can't unsee it. 

Also, the other big issue with Kelsey's social media mistake is that it highlights once again that she drinks too much and makes bad decisions when she does. If this was a serious drama, someone would have already accused her of being an alcoholic but because this is a comedy, they just keep glossing over it.