Type keyword(s) to search

The Righteous in the Media

• Start Topic

Danny McBride's Righteous Gemstones Trailer: John Goodman Runs a Hellish Family Business in HBO Satire

Created by and starring Danny McBride (Eastbound & Down, Vice Principals), the half-hour satire centers on the Gemstones, a world-famous televangelist family led by patriarch Eli (The Conners‘ John Goodman). McBride, Adam Devine (Workaholics) and Edi Patterson (Vice Principals) respectively co-star as Jesse, Kelvin and Judy, Eli’s three children.

Per the official synopsis, “the clan carries out a long tradition of deviance, greed and charitable work” — and, at the very least, the first two items on that list are on full display in the trailer above, with a side of sexism and sibling rivalry.

Family Guy joke:

Chris is trying to learn to play a musical instrument, but it sounds awful.

Lois:  Chris you can’t play one note over and over.

Peter:  Yeah, you’re not Danny McBride.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:41 AM, Jessi85 said:

HBO says it's been renewed, but I don't see anything about a premiere date.

https://www.hbo.com/the-righteous-gemstones

It's October 10, 2021, per the linked article***.  

https://releasedate.me/the-righteous-gemstones/#:~:text=Gemstones Season 2-,The Righteous Gemstones Season 2 Release,Trailer%2C Cast%2C Spoilers and News&text=HBO Channel revealed data about,back on October 10%2C 2021.

***I couldn't find anything else that stated an Oct. 2021 date, so I'd take this source with a grain of salt.  Although they do have a (supposed) schedule for the airing of episodes (2x01 on 10/10/21 through 2x09 on 12/5/21).

• Love 1

High praise from Eric Roberts. “I've never been involved in a working situation, both in front and behind the camera, that was as much fun or as rewarding as Righteous Gemstones, and I mean that.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hbo-crave-righteous-gemstones-season-2-eric-roberts-john-goodman-danny-mcbride-televangelist-megachurch-203642329.html

It's always nice to catch him in a project of quality, giving a good performance, as he has in this show. There was a time when he looked like the next "great American actor" (Roger Ebert in 1986: "The movie industry does not know how he will turn out, but he holds the potential to be mentioned with Brando, De Niro, Hurt and the others who come surrounded with the aura of a special talent"). And it's easy enough to go back to his early films, King of the GypsiesRaggedy ManStar 80, and see it wasn't a mirage. In those days, he was even picky about the roles he would take. But his personal life took some dark turns, his acting got hammier and more mannered, and before long he was saying yes to everything, much of it straight-to-video garbage.

True, a lot of actors in their sixties would gladly trade places with someone who works all the time, has 600+ IMDb credits, and still gets supporting roles in films by Christopher Nolan and PT Anderson. But Roberts is an interesting "what might have been" case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Popples said:

Baby Billy's Elixir Promo

Yes, I legit freeze framed and slo-mo-ed to catch all the side effects they fly through:

Side effects may include:

• Fatigue possibly due to anemia
  • Diarrhea, especially if treatment is for the abdomen. Symptoms tend to appear a few days after the start of treatment and will go away a few weeks later.
  • Heart disease
  • Nausea can occur at any time during treatment, or shortly afterward
  • Muscle and joint stiffness
  • Swelling in the affected area
  • Sore skin and skin burns
  • Drop in sex drive and infertility or early menopause, especially if treatment is for the pelvic area
  • Loss of appetite and difficulty swallowing, especially if treatment is aimed at the head, neck, or chest
  • Dry mouth, with treatments aimed at the head, neck or mouth
  • Alopecia, or hair fall, which is normally temporary
  • Cognitive problems or projects with thinking, such as attention span, memory, comprehension, reasoning, judgment, and multitasking
  • Diarrhea or constipation
  • Fatigue
  • Hearing impairment
  • Infertility
  • Loss of appetite
  • Low blood platelet count and blood clotting problems
  • Low red blood cell count, leading to anemia
  • Low white blood cell count, increasing the patient’s susceptibility to infections
  • Moodiness
  • Mucositis, or inflammation of the mucous membrane
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Reduced libido, or less interest in sex
  • Dry, sore skin
  • Brittle and flaky nails
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2023 at 11:44 AM, aghst said:

I think East Bound and Down and Vice Principals were only 2 seasons each.

Wonder what made McBride really go for twice as many seasons this time around.

Eastbound and Down was 4.