Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Chippings said:

Dancing Detective, anybody?  Beautiful scenery and I love Will Kemp such a lot.  The plot (the mystery itself) seemed hard to follow, but maybe that was my fault.  Thumbs up ?      

Can't wait to watch it. It is waiting for me on my DVR. Saw an ad while watching the HMM channel and Kemp had a really strong New Yawk accent. So funny. I love this guy.

5 hours ago, Chippings said:

Dancing Detective, anybody?  Beautiful scenery and I love Will Kemp such a lot.  The plot (the mystery itself) seemed hard to follow, but maybe that was my fault.  Thumbs up ?      

👍For me. Wasn't familiar with Will Kemp, but he was very likeable. Good looking and I enjoyed his accent. He and Lacey had decent chemistry. I'd watch it again, which is my barometer.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Chippings said:

Beautiful scenery and I love Will Kemp such a lot.  The plot (the mystery itself) seemed hard to follow, but maybe that was my fault. 

I think the plot was mostly the filling for beautiful scenery, Will Kemp hamming it up and dancing.  And I didn't mind that because it was a gorgeous movie to look at.  

The mystery was a little thin but I didn't mind that as much either.

I wonder how they'll get them to work together if there's a sequel.

• Like 4

I rarely watch Hallmark movies but this one caught my attention since it was filmed in Malta.  I found it quite boring - the plot was thin (barely existing) and it really didn't make any sense why Lacey's character was the detective on this case.   At least who did the murder made sense.   They might have just forgotten the whole mystery angle and had focused on a dance competition and had Will Kemp dancing around scenic Malta - that would have at least made sense.

There was another fairly recent mystery movie filmed in Malta which was much better.  I can't remember the name of it.  At least it was a real mystery story set in a beautiful location.  

I finally watched this last night and enjoyed it. I'm not much of a mystery fan, so while I agree the mystery was a bit thin, that didn't bother me. I do like Lacey and Will together (Love, Romance and Chocolate is one of my favorites), so that and, as @Irlandesa said, Will hamming it up and dancing were more than enough to keep me entertained for a couple of hours. I would watch it again, and would even be interested in a second one.

• Like 3
(edited)

Just watched Lacey and Will in The Dancing Detective; Deadly Tango. Those two have superb chemistry on screen. There was a couple of moments with Lacey chuckling and she just oozed that chemistry towards Will.

As for the dancing.......Lacey did pretty well throughout the movie. I do believe, however, that Tango at the end of the movie, was mostly danced by Lacey but the close up intricate foot work was danced by a pro. Fabulous dance! Will Kemp, a trained and pro ballet dancer, is always a pleasure to watch him dance.

I don't think the mystery and sleuthing aspect of the movie was "too thin" as other posters have said. I thought it was just right. Enjoyed this movie very much and I'll keep it on my DVR as I will watch it again.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 6
(edited)

Watched the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries: Something New “early days” movie tonight — I enjoyed it actually, with some caveats.  I liked the young actress, Skyler Samuels, who played Aurora — there was something about her demeanor that I really liked.  She wasn’t too Hallmarky and had a calm, pleasant personality.  She really does not look like the Aurora (Candace) we knew for years, but that didn’t bother me.  Really liked Evan Roderick, the young Arthur too.  Great to see Steve Bacic — I always enjoy him.  Marilu Henner was surprisingly fine — this was set in 2008 so they aged her backwards and it was no biggie.  She was not successful yet in her real estate biz, and it was well done, seeing both Ro and her mom in the earlier career years, where they’re finding their footing.  The huge misfire for me was Sally.  Too silly, not a good actress at all.  I love Lexa Doig so those are big shoes to fill, but this actress should not come back for future Aurora movies.  The mystery was fine with several possible ways it could have gone.  I was glad to see the series back.  

Edited by MerBearHou
Looked up the actual actors’ names
  • Like 7

The AT Mysteries were always my favorite, but I thought Cameron was the weak link. I know a lot of people will miss her, and her style was very different from Samuels’, but I hope there’s not too much fan backlash and they move forward with this series. 

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the AT prequel. Young Arthur is a cutie and he and young Aurora had nice chemistry. I was wondering how old Aurora was supposed to be here because  they jumped back 15 years to 2008. Roe mentioned to Sally or someone that it was going to take some time adjusting to living with her mom, because she'd lived alone for 8 years.

If she left for college at 18  and remained away for 8 years, that would make her 26. Assuming she received her degree at 22, there's a gap. She said she finished 1 year of grad school elsewhere and now was back home to finish the Master's degree. Most Master's degrees are only 2 years duration, so there are 2 unaccounted for years.

I know I am thinking much too much about a silly TV movie but stuff like this takes me out of the movie.

Assuming Aurora was 26 here, I guess Candace played her as 41?

2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Assuming Aurora was 26 here, I guess Candace played her as 41?

I think that fits because in the last one with Candace, they had flashbacks to her and Sally in high school and mentioned it being 20-some years ago.

But then that raises the question of how old was Aurora supposed to be in the first movie that Candace was in? I guess it doesn't matter if they keep doing new movies with the younger cast and they overlap when the old ones were supposed to take place?

I enjoyed the new one and I like the actress. I liked Candace as an actress, but I am also fine with them continuing without her.

I also was amused at the end when Sally and Ro were all, "let's never mention this again. Ever." I guess to explain why we never heard about Sally's ex-fiancé before.

• Like 3

Oddly Marilu Henner looked younger in the prequel then in the earlier AT movies.

And I loved the calm and rational AT...and given this was her first murder case, it makes sense.  By the time we got to the start of the original movies, AT would seem more hyper and wanting to solve the mystery.

• Like 4
On 6/9/2023 at 11:16 PM, MerBearHou said:

The huge misfire for me was Sally.  Too silly, not a good actress at all.  I love Lexa Doig so those are big shoes to fill, but this actress should not come back for future Aurora movies.  

But I was impressed that she sounded like Sally. Though I'd be just fine if they had Lexa Doig play younger Sally - I would totally buy it.

• Like 3
On 6/3/2023 at 9:53 PM, Irlandesa said:

The mystery was a little thin but I didn't mind that as much either.

Totally agree on both counts. And I finally realized why the plot was so problematical.  Lacey's character didn't actually solve the crime, as in, piece together clues that pointed to someone's guilt. Instead, she pieced together clues that pointed to someone's true identity, and that was basically all it took to decide guilt.  There was no recitation of clues/factors, such as when/how she would have snuck in to his room to do the poisoning, or what she used to poison him and why.  I also kept waiting for the two of them to have the conversation where they craft their back story as a married couple, and for there to be some explanation of what her supposed position in the company was, which the other senior personnel definitely would have asked her about.

I did find it very entertaining in spite of all that, and Will Kemp was the reason, even though that type of character could easily have become annoying played by someone else.  I liked how she kept mockingly calling him the names of former TV detectives.  He looked familiar to me, but I couldn't place him until I checked IMDB and found that I knew him from Girlfriends Guide to Divorce.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, abbyzenn said:

There was another fairly recent mystery movie filmed in Malta which was much better.  I can't remember the name of it.  At least it was a real mystery story set in a beautiful location.  

That was "To Catch a Spy" with Nathalie Kelley and Colin Donnell.

My favorite part was when Aida was talking about having Ro be careful and take care of herself, and Ro said, regarding getting involved in trying to solve the mystery, "Don't worry. I won't be doing anything like this again."

I also noticed that twice they made reference to people taking a taxi, which was a nice little nod to how different it was "way back" in 2008.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Oddly Marilu Henner looked younger in the prequel then in the earlier AT movies.

Well, sort of.  She looked soooo heavily made-up here.  In the earlier AT movies, she just looked like an actress playing a role who had on the appropriate amount of make-up to film a movie.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:16 AM, MerBearHou said:

She was not successful yet in her real estate biz, and it was well done, seeing both Ro and her mom in the earlier career years, where they’re finding their footing.  

The one thing that didn't ring true, was all the stuff Aida was saying when she initially turned down the listing lead that the other woman gave her.  

On 6/10/2023 at 12:16 AM, MerBearHou said:

The huge misfire for me was Sally.  Too silly, not a good actress at all.  I love Lexa Doig so those are big shoes to fill, but this actress should not come back for future Aurora movies.  

And, truth be told, the actress was a completely different physical type as well.  It sort of made it laughable when Ro put on Sally's coat and that ex-girlfriend tried to run her over...even a cursory glance would have caused the ex- to know that it wasn't Sally.

• Like 2

I finally saw the last Garage Sale Mystery that had been completed but shelved due to the college admissions scandal. 

I don't need Lori back on my screen but it's a really good series and I miss it. 

• Like 1
On 7/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, Irlandesa said:

I finally saw the last Garage Sale Mystery that had been completed but shelved due to the college admissions scandal. 

I don't need Lori back on my screen but it's a really good series and I miss it. 

What is it called?

I'd got out of the habit of watching HMM when it appeared they'd given up on mysteries and just happened upon the Aurora Teagarden prequel that's being re-aired tonight. I'll have to tune in more often to see repeats of the mysteries from the last few months, and then catch up on comments so as not to get spoiled.

Am really looking forward to seeing the Lacey Chaubert mystery that was apparently filmed in Malta? I wonder if it's the same island (Gozo) that Madame Blanc films on?

So happy that HMM didn't abandon mysteries altogether. I'll forever miss Emma Fielding, Gourmet Detective, Martha's Vineyard Mysteries and Crossword Mysteries, though. And there were characters on all the others that I loved and will miss as well (Cassie and Maurice from Morning Show Mysteries, Fincher from Hailey Dean, Dani and the rest of the non-Lori cast of Garage Sale Mysteries, etc.)

Someone upthread mentioned Darrow & Darrow and that was another great series that ended too soon.

• Like 3

September's new movies look good.

Niall Matter and Heather Hemmens look like a promising pairing: 

Come Fly with Me                                                                                                 

This movie has a good pairing as well: Guiding Emily

• Like 1
On 8/22/2023 at 8:23 PM, Ele said:

September's new movies look good.

Niall Matter and Heather Hemmens look like a promising pairing: 

Come Fly with Me                                                                                                 

This movie has a good pairing as well: Guiding Emily

Both look like they would be pleasant to watch. 

I tune into the Hallmark Mysteries channel to watch mysteries... not the two movies that are going to be airing on that channel in September.

Both look interesting, but they aren't mysteries and should aired on the main Hallmark channel instead.

• Like 3

I hear you, JayJay1979, but to be fair, the name of the channel is Movies & Mysteries.  I think Hallmark feels it's appropriate to put the "serious" movies on this channel rather than on the "romantic" channel.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2023 at 1:39 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I tune into the Hallmark Mysteries channel to watch mysteries... not the two movies that are going to be airing on that channel in September.

Apparently, there will be a new September mystery called Mystery Island, starring Elizabeth Henstridge and Charlie Weber, on Friday, September 29 at 9pm EST. Plot summary: When a visit to a mystery themed resort goes wrong, a local detective and a vacationing British criminal psychiatrist team up to solve a real murder.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I enjoyed Guiding Emily.  Sarah Drew offered a realistic portrayal of someone suddenly losing her sight. Some folks may balk at the coincidence of the pairing with the guide dog, but I could hand wave that because it made for a sweet story. 

• Like 9
On 9/8/2023 at 10:42 PM, Clawdette said:

I enjoyed Guiding Emily. 

I enjoyed it too.  In fact, I probably more than enjoyed.  I really like Sarah Drew and she was very good in this role.  There was beautiful scenery.  I absolutely loved the dog.  I teared up when Katie was saying "goodbye" to Garth (I could never do that).

And it was so good to have Antonio Cupo in the love interest role again.  He and Sarah had terrific chemistry and he looked amazing.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I enjoyed it too.  In fact, I probably more than enjoyed.  I really like Sarah Drew and she was very good in this role.  There was beautiful scenery.  I absolutely loved the dog.  I teared up when Katie was saying "goodbye" to Garth (I could never do that).

And it was so good to have Antonio Cupo in the love interest role again.  He and Sarah had terrific chemistry and he looked amazing.

I agree with all of this. Plus, it was good to see that the actor who played Mark was given a decent role and not his usual goofy colleague/ the guy who dumps the girl. Sarah Drew is a strong actress and I'm glad this was a good script for her.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought the Hallmark movies are streaming on a Peacock. I can’t find Guiding Emily. Or is it because it’s an HMM movie and not “Hallmark”? I wanted to do a double feature with Notes of Autumn tonight 😕

From what I recall, it's only available for 3 days to match its On Demand availability. But it might end up back there.

• Useful 1

Did anyone watch Come Fly with Me? I missed the first 20 minutes or so, but the movie was kinda disappointing as there were too many subplots. It felt like the usual plots of Hallmark movies rolled into one. Her job was a cool concept and they should have rolled with that. Hemmens and Matter had great chemistry, and would love to see them paired in another movie.

Edited by Ele
1 hour ago, Ele said:

Did anyone watch Come Fly with Me? I missed the first 20 minutes or so, but the movie was kinda disappointing as there were too many subplots. It felt like the usual plots of Hallmark movies rolled into one. Her job was a cool concept and they should have rolled with that. Hemmens and Matter had great chemistry, and would love to see them paired in another movie.

I watched it.  I liked it if only because the female lead was shown to have a very demanding job that required a lot of her and her family, but there was not even a mention that she give up her career or cut back.  Just lots of admiration for her dedication and skill.  Not that common coming from Hallnark.

I do agree that the subplots were muddled.  I thought the daughter needing a heart transplant was just a bit too much for  a Hallmark movie and saw the pilot stepping up and flying to get the donor heart from the get go.

The two actors did work well together and seemed plausible as a couple.

I would've preferred the plot somehow focus more on her training with the Thunderbirds, but I am a little bit of a geek about that kind of stuff.

• Like 2

I missed it. I’ll look for it upcoming and hope that they show it once more before sending it to streaming. I’ll ask for a spoiler, though,, what did she fly to transport the heart? The craft shown in previews don’t just drop out of the sky at any old landing strip.

I watched "Come Fly With Me", mainly because of the storyline with the US Thunderbirds...I have seen them numerous times at Air Shows & they are so cool, so I appreciated the times in the movie where we got some shots of the Thunderbirds in action.   The leads had nice chemistry & the 2 daughters were cute & I enjoyed their friendship & storyline.   

• Like 4
On 9/18/2023 at 6:52 AM, Daff said:

I missed it. I’ll look for it upcoming and hope that they show it once more before sending it to streaming. I’ll ask for a spoiler, though,, what did she fly to transport the heart? The craft shown in previews don’t just drop out of the sky at any old landing strip.

She flew a non-military small private plane.  The sort of plane you'd expect in that circumstance.  I was multi-tasking while watching, but I think she borrowed it from one of her colleagues who owned it for personal use.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
On 9/4/2023 at 5:21 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Apparently, there will be a new September mystery called Mystery Island, starring Elizabeth Henstridge and Charlie Weber, on Friday, September 29 at 9pm EST. Plot summary: When a visit to a mystery themed resort goes wrong, a local detective and a vacationing British criminal psychiatrist team up to solve a real murder.

Quoting myself, since I watched the new mystery. The ending was clever, but ultimately a disappointment in my opinion. I wasn't wild about the format...I guess I like one with more a 'naturalistic' premise. Also, I'm uncertain how the police were able to corroborate that the other woman died as the result of an accident. All they had to go on was the word of the other woman who was with her.  I don't recall the details of how she said the woman fell, but it was on a beach, so it's unlikely that she fell just from having slipped.  And I don't recall there being any rocks big enough to have done enough damage to kill her, so that would mean it wouldn't have been accidental.

29 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

And I don't recall there being any rocks big enough to have done enough damage to kill her, so that would mean it wouldn't have been accidental.

I do agree it was probably difficult to prove or at least let go so easily but the person with her said she was reaching for the proof she was blackmailing her with, they struggled over it, and Lucia fell backward and hit her head on a rock.  If she hits it just right, a rock doesn't need to be big to cause damage.

Ultimately, I thought Mystery Island was kind of fun even if the ending became predictable the minute we discovered the deceased's secret. 

I also liked Harmony in G Major and hope we get more of those.  Ireland was gorgeous and the ghost was fun.  Plus, I thought she had a lot of chemistry with the Irish cop--which likely means the person she had less chem with IMO, the teacher, is the main love interest.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I also liked Harmony in G Major and hope we get more of those.  Ireland was gorgeous and the ghost was fun.  Plus, I thought she had a lot of chemistry with the Irish cop--which likely means the person she had less chem with IMO, the teacher, is the main love interest.

I also liked the Irish cop, but I assume the teacher will be the main love interest since he's the known actor. 

Her friendship chemistry with the ghost was great. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn’t intend to get engrossed in Harmony in G Major but it caught and really held my attention.  Enjoyed the cast, story and scenery very much!  

• Like 2

I thought Mystery Island was very entertaining and well done.  Like the friend, I love murder mystery games but I can never figure out the killer.

I love Elizabeth Henstridge from Agents of Shield, and she was very good here.  I didn't realize that Charlie Weber was from How To Get Away With Murder.  He looks even more handsome now and especially good in tux.  The only dark spot for me was the actress who played Morgan.  She was not good.

I kept it on my DVR to watch again.

I thought Mystery Island was very entertaining and well done.  Like the friend, I love murder mystery games but I can never figure out the killer.

I love Elizabeth Henstridge from Agents of Shield, and she was very good here.  I didn't realize that Charlie Weber was from How To Get Away With Murder.  He looks even more handsome now and especially good in tux.  The only dark spot for me was the actress who played Morgan.  She was not good.

I kept it on my DVR to watch again.

• Like 5

We've got three weeks in a row of new mysteries! Building off of this past weekend's Mystery Island, we've got a Hannah Swensen movie this coming weekend, "A Zest for Death". And then the next weekend it's a Curious Caterer movie, "Fatal Vows".  Not really sure why they wait to release a bunch in a row, with looong stretches without new ones. But I'm glad that they're at least still making them!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

We've got three weeks in a row of new mysteries!

Four weeks.  Harmony in G Major kicked it off a week ago.

17 hours ago, Snow Child said:

Like the friend, I love murder mystery games but I can never figure out the killer.

The actress who played the friend reminded me so much of Emily Blunt.

• Like 3
On 10/2/2023 at 5:54 PM, Irlandesa said:

Four weeks.  Harmony in G Major kicked it off a week ago.

Thank you sooo much for mentioning this...I completely missed it!  Looks like there will be one more showing, this Wednesday at 9:00.

• Like 1

It was a very enjoyable night for me last night with the Murder She Baked and then a repeat viewing of Mystery Island which I’d missed the first time around.  Great to see Hannah and Mike again and there was a little humor thrown in which amused me.  A few moments were “off” in the pacing and acting, I thought, but overall, I will take another Murder She Baked any day.  I thoroughly enjoyed Mystery Island due to the terrific two leading ladies and the detective.  Well done.  Beautiful setting and I love anything Agatha Christie-esque.  Hope it becomes a series.  

• Like 3
On 10/1/2023 at 9:46 PM, Irlandesa said:

Finally watched it, and I have a question. Clearly I missed something, because at the end, I think she was in a graveyard, and she called someone's phone to prove who the killer was, and it was the lady doctor with the crush on the ghost guy. How did she solve the mystery and how did she know the doctor was at the graveyard when she was? 

• Like 1

I’m really liking Mistletoe Lane Mystery (only a bit into it). I have to say, given the size of the nutcracker, and the fact that objects sometimes move on their own volition, I would have used kitchen tongs to fetch that reindeer out of its mouth!!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Daff said:

I’m really liking Mistletoe Lane Mystery (only a bit into it). I have to say, given the size of the nutcracker, and the fact that objects sometimes move on their own volition, I would have used kitchen tongs to fetch that reindeer out of its mouth!!

I just finished watching it on Peacock.. it was very cute and I liked the scavenger hunt element to it.

• Like 2

Did anyone make it through 'A Season for Family'? I usually like Brendan Penny and decided to give it a try.  Big mistake, the plot is so ridiculously implausible that it is hard to even follow it.

Brendan is a widower living in a ski town with his son who is 8 or so, I guess.  Stacy Farber comes to town to visit her family for Christmas, bringing along her son who is around 10.  Now here's the kicker:  Stacy adopted her son as a single parent.  Great.  Her son has known for a while that he was adopted although, weirdly enough, it seems like she waited a while before telling him.  Anyway, her son is interested in finding his genetic family despite the fact that he is just a little kid.  So, she sends his sample into a 23 and me site and, despite the fact that the kid is still a minor; they discover her son has a brother and he lives in the same town as Stacy's parents!  Brother is also a minor and how his data got into the bank, let alone matched him genetically to another little kid is not clear.  

And now it gets really interesting because, guess what?  Stacy's son decides that what he really wants for Christmas is to meet his brother and she decides that is a fabulous idea because what could possibly go wrong?  So, she hauls the kid out to the ski town to meet his brother for the holidays.  Well, guess who his brother is?  The kids meet before the ID is made and become friends, of course.  And Brendan, being a stellar parent, exposits that he and his now dead wife decided not to tell his son he was adopted until the kid turns 10, because that makes sense.  Until then, they let him believe that he is their biologic child.  So, when Stacy finds out that Brendan's kid is her kid's brother, Brendan doesn't want to tell his son because his wife, now dead, wanted to wait for the kid to turn 10. And he promised her.  And of course, Brendan and Stacy are falling for one another.

The whole storyline sounds like some sort of bad mad libs.  I turned it off after an hour because I kept dozing off.  Turned it back on for the finish and, of course, Brendan's kid has figured out he is adopted mainly because all of the idiot adults in his life have been discussing it while he was in the next room.  The kid, meanwhile, has no problems with being adopted or with the fact that his adoptive parents didn't get around to telling him sooner. And they all live happily ever after.

This one belongs in the Hallmark Hall of Fame for really bad movies

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
On 11/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, chitowngirl said:

Watching Mystery on Mistletoe Lane now…I’d love to move and be all unpacked instantly!! 😆 Otherwise, I’m enjoying it very much.

I enjoyed it, too. 

I’m watching A World Record Christmas. I know it’s inspired by a true story. It was nice enough to watch. 

Edited by DanaMB