Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BrainyBlonde said:

This news is a few days old, but I didn't see that anyone had posted it here yet, so I thought I'd share.

I saw that.  I'm a little surprised Hailey Dean isn't getting a final mystery wrap up. As for the Gourmet Detective, there have been years in between those movies so you never know.

2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I truly do not understand Hallmark's decisions sometimes.

They're basically just killing off all their mysteries. Why??? They should just change their name to Hallmark Christmas movies & get it over with.

As far as I know, Aurora Teagarden, Mystery 101, Chronicle Mysteries, and Crossword Mysteries are all still alive. Not sure if I'm missing any (maybe the Ruby Herring? not sure). Those are the better ones that were left IMO, so I'm not that upset about the ones that were cancelled (though I'm holding out hope for at least one more Martha's Vineyard). Plus the new one sounds like it could be good. And they've done more one-off mysteries recently (not sure if any of those were also "auditioning" to be a series).

• Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 10:18 AM, BrainyBlonde said:

The Hailey Dean and Picture Perfect Mysteries are cancelled and the Gourmet Detective and Martha's Vineyard movies may follow suit.

Well that blows.  I really liked Martha's Vineyard, Gourmet Detective and Picture Perfect mysteries.  Kellie Martin (sp?) does nothing for me, but I liked the supporting cast of Hailey Dean. 

I don't understand this channel. 

• Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 12:16 PM, Irlandesa said:

I saw that.  I'm a little surprised Hailey Dean isn't getting a final mystery wrap up. As for the Gourmet Detective, there have been years in between those movies so you never know.

Hailey Dean did sort of get a wrap up with the 3 mysteries last summer (2 summers ago? What is time anymore??) where they figured out the long standing mystery of who had really killed her former fiance. 

Picture perfect mysteries were just okay for me, though they had been setting up some mystery with the detective dudes "dead" fiance.. I was expecting her to show up at some point, like right when the relationship finally got rolling.... 

I agree with others that a final wrap up for Martha's Vinyard would be nice.... 

But really just more mysteries would be nice! I can't do the Teagarden ones since I can't stand CCB.... but I'll take just about anything else.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roctavia said:

Hailey Dean did sort of get a wrap up with the 3 mysteries last summer (2 summers ago? What is time anymore??) where they figured out the long standing mystery of who had really killed her former fiance. 

That's true.  And they did have a lot.

I never got into Picture Perfect or the Martha's Vineyard Mysteries.  I think we just need to wait and see. Some of that article is spec. 

I figured the new executives in charge were de-emphasizing mysteries when multiple love story movies premiered on HMM in the fall (before the Christmas movies started) that in the past I would have expected to be shown on the main Hallmark channel.

I would be disappointed if they continue Morning Show Mysteries after cancelling Picture Perfect and Hailey Dean - I always thought it was the weakest  of the long-running series.

This  also does not bode well for the two new ones that premiered in 2021 continuing - To Catch A Spy and Redemption in Cherry Springs.  The second one seemed to be setting up a new mystery with it's ending that may never get resolved.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, BrainyBlonde said:

The Hailey Dean and Picture Perfect Mysteries are cancelled and the Gourmet Detective and Martha's Vineyard movies may follow suit. 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, MerBearHou said:

I truly do not understand Hallmark's decisions sometimes.

Good grief!  That simply doesn't make any sense, especially in the case of Martha's Vineyard, where we are losing an intelligent heroine and an adult relationship...and they're going to keep the painful-to-watch Danica McKellar in MatchMaker Mysteries?

• Love 3
23 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Good grief!  That simply doesn't make any sense, especially in the case of Martha's Vineyard, where we are losing an intelligent heroine and an adult relationship...and they're going to keep the painful-to-watch Danica McKellar in MatchMaker Mysteries?

Has anyone heard anything definitive about MatchMaker Mysteries?  The assumption most people made when it was announced late last year that she signed contract with GAC network was that she would no longer be appearing in any more Hallmark or HMM movies.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:56 PM, roctavia said:

But really just more mysteries would be nice!

Seriously.  It really bothers me how much emphasis they've been putting on "Movies" lately when the mysteries are clearly what makes the channel stand-out from regular Hallmark Channel. 

I get the feeling that they may be closing up shop on Drama channel in the future and this is a side effect of such a move.  The fact that the last Signed, Sealed, Delivered movie and JL Family Ranch 2 were originally intended to air on Drama and ended up on Mysteries got me thinking that Drama channel is on borrowed time.  The huge slate of boring drama movies on HMM lately has me convinced it's true.

I enjoyed Picture Perfect, so I'm sad we won't get another one.  I thought it was much better than Matchmaker and Morning Show.  I was never a big Hailey Dean fan, but at least they churned out a bunch of those for the people who like it.  It's kind of telling to me though that they air Mystery Woman marathons seemingly monthly while Hailey Dean marathons are far less frequent.

• Love 3
On 12/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, MerBearHou said:

Didn't care for Hailey Dean.  PP ones were okay, but for two leads who are married in real life, I didn't think they had chemistry

Wonder if Crossword Mysteries and Morning Show Mysteries are on the chopping block.  Those I really like (even though I can't buy Lacy Chabert as a leading lady - which is what's going to ruin the Wedding Veil Trilogy for me)  Also Flower Shop and Garage Sale Mysteries are quite enjoyable too

• Love 1
On 1/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, mikeb said:

I figured the new executives in charge were de-emphasizing mysteries when multiple love story movies premiered on HMM in the fall (before the Christmas movies started) that in the past I would have expected to be shown on the main Hallmark channel.

Yes, agreed.  And once covid restrictions became manageable they put the emphasis on cranking out generic Christmas movies, once again treating mystery viewers as an afterthought.  It's a bit depressing, as there are no other cable channels dedicated to original cozy mysteries and I've enjoyed so many of the series put out by HMM. 

At least there's still Britbox and Acorn, for which I'm grateful.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Not sure what this is referring to...what are they, and do they have some 'cozy mysteries'?

They are streaming services that feature shows from other countries.  I think Britbox is exclusively shows from England, while Acorn is mostly shows from England with some from other countries like Australia mixed in.  Yes, they both have large selections of cozy mysteries, a few of which have been re-broadcast on PBS stations in the U.S., like DEATH IN PARADISE and MISS FISHER'S MURDER MYSTERIES.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Not sure what this is referring to...what are they, and do they have some 'cozy mysteries'?

Yes, as @mikeb said, they're streaming services with old and new British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand mysteries (there might be some from other countries as well).  I tend to stick to cozy mysteries but there are plenty of darker series as well.  There is a Detective and Mystery Shows topic under Beyond TV Shows > Other TV Talk > Genre Talk that discusses them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2021 at 1:58 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

Kellie Martin (sp?) does nothing for me, but I liked the supporting cast of Hailey Dean. 

I really liked the supporting cast in those as well. I think the mistake was making her character a therapist, and curtailing any personality with having to work through the tragic loss of her fiancé. Talk about a downer! She was great as “Snoopy” in the Mystery Woman series of movies. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Clawdette said:

North to Home has just started and I'd like to give a shout-out to the casting agent.  Kimberly Sustad, Lyndsey Fonseca, and Erica Durance look like they could actually be sisters.

I thought so too after watching the ad intern times in every commercial break, however IMDBs plot for this says the daughters are adopted, unless the mother adopted 3 biological siblings 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, ctlady said:

I thought so too after watching the ad intern times in every commercial break, however IMDBs plot for this says the daughters are adopted, unless the mother adopted 3 biological siblings 

Yes, the mother and father adopted the 3 biological sisters after their parents died in a horrible accident.

I really loved this movie. Kimberly Sustad is a favorite of mine. The siblings dynamic seemed pretty real to me and I really felt for Posy having to put her life on hold out of a sense of familial obligation. Won't lie; I shed a few years during this movie.

• Love 1

North to Home seems like it belonged on the HMD channel, but I know it’s not included by many providers. Love to watch anything with KS. I liked all the actors cast in this one. One thing just struck me early in the movie. I’ve always recognized that Kimberly Sustad is a larger than average person (not fat, just tall, with skeletal substance). It was really emphasized in the scene where the older sister explains she’s not going to make it to the nieces’ show. The kids are seated at the dining room table, and Kimberly is next to it. The table tops out just above her knees! Part of it was camera angle, I’m sure, but still. I’ve always liked that aside from her physical comedy, she maintains a graceful presence. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Daff said:

North to Home seems like it belonged on the HMD channel, but I know it’s not included by many providers.

I thought so too as it was devoid of the formulaic HM plots.  Had almost a 'hall of fame' quality to it.  I did enjoy it, but thought by the ads that there was going to be more substance as far as the 'family secrets' were concerned

Spoilers below if you haven't watched it.

Younger sister, Posey, wants to travel and climb the world (namely, Switzerland), but doesn't have the heart to tell her adoptive parents that she doesn't want to inherit and run the family cafe

Middle sister Beth wants to go back into the work force after raising two daughters.  This one irked me the most.  The oldest girl looked ready for first grade and I think she said the younger one was ready for pre-school. It was both her and her husbands decision that she quit work to be a SAHM.  her arm wasn't twisted.  But when she started blathering on to her husband how he gets to do what he wants and come home at the end of the day to get 'the best of the girls' after she's been the bad guy who has to discipline and say 'no' all the time - I wanted to smack her.  Sweetie, your husband isn't galavanting with his friends all day having fun.  He's WORKING TO SUPPORT FOUR PEOPLE, but she made him out to be like he's having all the fun and choices while she's stuck at home being a mom.  Stuff it, sista.  Be thankful you didn't have to go back to work after a rushed 6 weeks of maternity leave

Eldest sister Hannah and her husband decided not to have kids, but - alas - when she arrives in Alaska she receives a call from her doctor that she's pregnant.  Her childless life seemed to be a tense point between her and Beth who also dealt a very low blow to both her sisters along the lines of "you two don't have children so you don't know what it's like"  As a childless woman, I can't tell you how infuriating and hurtful that is.  I could probably outraise and out-discipline some parents who really shouldn't be parents.  When Beth flipped out on Hannah because while Hannah walked away for a moment to take a phone call, Beth's girls got cookie frosting all over their faces I wanted to smack her yet again.  They're not toddlers who got into and ingested a dish washer tablet, but Pete's sake.  I felt that was grossly exaggerated to intensify the strain between Hannah and Beth.

Didn't see the spin with Luke coming - and agree that the actor's stringy hair was ick.  For a young guy, he had those unusual 'Luke Perry' deep forehead lines when he scrunched his face up.

Beautiful scenery, pretty house decorated in HMM finest, everyone owing a standard parka, though I don't know how both Beth and Hannah packed all those cozy clothes and coats in what little luggage they brought.

In a nutshell, the 'family secrets' were lackluster - not to mention commonplace.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ctlady said:

but thought by the ads that there was going to be more substance as far as the 'family secrets' were concerned

Yes! It turned out to be simply lack of communication (present) and harboring of old resentment. All very poignant. I’m not really sure how engaging the story was, given all the feelings of loss, but glad needless blame wasn’t thrown around and that it had a respectable ending. The best part was seeing it competently acted. 

7 hours ago, ctlady said:

Her childless life seemed to be a tense point between her and Beth who also dealt a very low blow

Yes, I agree, they could have skipped that entirely. 

12 hours ago, ctlady said:

I thought so too as it was devoid of the formulaic HM plots.  Had almost a 'hall of fame' quality to it.  I did enjoy it, but thought by the ads that there was going to be more substance as far as the 'family secrets' were concerned

Spoilers below if you haven't watched it.

Younger sister, Posey, wants to travel and climb the world (namely, Switzerland), but doesn't have the heart to tell her adoptive parents that she doesn't want to inherit and run the family cafe

Middle sister Beth wants to go back into the work force after raising two daughters.  This one irked me the most.  The oldest girl looked ready for first grade and I think she said the younger one was ready for pre-school. It was both her and her husbands decision that she quit work to be a SAHM.  her arm wasn't twisted.  But when she started blathering on to her husband how he gets to do what he wants and come home at the end of the day to get 'the best of the girls' after she's been the bad guy who has to discipline and say 'no' all the time - I wanted to smack her.  Sweetie, your husband isn't galavanting with his friends all day having fun.  He's WORKING TO SUPPORT FOUR PEOPLE, but she made him out to be like he's having all the fun and choices while she's stuck at home being a mom.  Stuff it, sista.  Be thankful you didn't have to go back to work after a rushed 6 weeks of maternity leave

Eldest sister Hannah and her husband decided not to have kids, but - alas - when she arrives in Alaska she receives a call from her doctor that she's pregnant.  Her childless life seemed to be a tense point between her and Beth who also dealt a very low blow to both her sisters along the lines of "you two don't have children so you don't know what it's like"  As a childless woman, I can't tell you how infuriating and hurtful that is.  I could probably outraise and out-discipline some parents who really shouldn't be parents.  When Beth flipped out on Hannah because while Hannah walked away for a moment to take a phone call, Beth's girls got cookie frosting all over their faces I wanted to smack her yet again.  They're not toddlers who got into and ingested a dish washer tablet, but Pete's sake.  I felt that was grossly exaggerated to intensify the strain between Hannah and Beth.

Didn't see the spin with Luke coming - and agree that the actor's stringy hair was ick.  For a young guy, he had those unusual 'Luke Perry' deep forehead lines when he scrunched his face up.

Beautiful scenery, pretty house decorated in HMM finest, everyone owing a standard parka, though I don't know how both Beth and Hannah packed all those cozy clothes and coats in what little luggage they brought.

In a nutshell, the 'family secrets' were lackluster - not to mention commonplace.

The promos for that movie made me think of this book I read called The Christmas Sisters and after reading your description I am positive it was based on it. The names and the individual problems are the same, but they changed locations. And I guess made it not a Christmas story? Which is weird, considering how many Christmas movies Hallmark makes.

If you get the channel Hallmark Drama is doing a McBride movie marathon. I missed the first two but have the rest set to record through my YouTube TV DVR. The movies are all on regular YouTube too in 480p quality though. I'm watching the first two since I've never seen them before. I've only seen a couple out of the series. 

• Love 1

I really liked the McBride movies.  Sometimes it's hard to believe they premiered so long ago.  Anyway ...

Before covid, HMM looked like they were going to bring back Emma Fielding.  If they're cancelling some of the more recent mystery series like Martha's Vineyard, I don't hold out much hope for Emma.  This makes me pretty sad, actually.

Also, I wish the programmers would run the morning block of Murder, She wrote on a different schedule than the late night block.  I'm not an early riser and am missing so many of my favorite episodes.  This also makes me sad.

Sorry, all.  I'm feeling melancholy tonight.

• Love 4

Looks like they are about to start filming a new mystery series. The site that lists movies filming In Vancouver shows one called Dying For Chocolate. Andrew Walker posted an Instagram story of the script and tagged HMM and Nikki Deloach. It is based on a Diane Mott Davidson mystery book series.

4 hours ago, Dani said:

Looks like they are about to start filming a new mystery series. The site that lists movies filming In Vancouver shows one called Dying For Chocolate. Andrew Walker posted an Instagram story of the script and tagged HMM and Nikki Deloach. It is based on a Diane Mott Davidson mystery book series.

I love these books and will have to put that on my watch list.  Thanks for sharing the info.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Dani said:

These should be interesting!  I started listening to these mysteries on audio while working out and am up to book 9.  Generally they are enjoyable but I wish the ex-husband would die in a fire.

• LOL 2

Danica has confirmed that Matchmaker Mysteries is one of the ones Hallmark decided to stop making.

I’m disappointed they may be making fewer mysteries but the one’s they’ve cancelled were also pretty mediocre. Hopefully they are just developing more interesting ones. 

Edited by Guest
30 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Didn’t Danica M go over to the GAC network? Maybe that is why.

Yes but that deal came months after she said the series was already dead. GAC didn’t even exist in its current form at that time. 

On 1/25/2022 at 1:33 AM, Dani said:

That's one of my favorite series and I was so sad when I found out that she stopped writing.  I wonder who is going to be playing Marla.  She was always my favorite character.

• Love 3

I enjoyed Cut, Color, Murder.  I like the two leads - Julie Gonzalo and Ryan McPartlin - and the supporting cast.  The Hallmark mystery series are always preferable to me over the Hallmark romance movies.  Glad to see a new mystery series and I hope that Hallmark has more in the works.  

• Love 2

I liked Cut, Color, Murder too! It doesn’t have a standout supporting cast right off the bat for me, unlike Aurora Teagarden (love me some Sally, Aida, and Arthur), although the youngish detective was quite handsome and the chemistry between Ali’s family/employees/the older police captain felt easy and lived in.

Edited by lizzbert
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I enjoyed Cut, Color, Murder.

9 hours ago, lizzbert said:

I liked Cut, Color, Murder too!

I've been looking forward to this airing so I can watch it On Demand.  Glad it's getting a positive reaction so far

I'm surprised I haven't heard any comments regarding the upcoming Aurora Teagarden: Haunted By Murder movie that stars Candace and Lexa's real life daughters.  At first it looks like the teens are involved in this along with their mother's characters, but according to IMDB, it appears as if they're playing the teen versions of Aurora and Sally via flashbacks.  I may be late to the game in just figuring this out.

• Love 1

Saw on the HMM schedule that there is a murder mystery movie at 5:00 today starring Wendie Malick called After All These Years. Description says "When a woman is wrongly accused of the death of her ex-husband, she sets out to solve the murder mystery and find the real killer before the day of the funeral, when she is to be taken into custody."  It appears to be a 2013 movie, which was before I knew about HMM, so I will definitely check it out.  Did they make more of these "one-timer" murder mysteries?

Also, Cut, Color, Murder will be on tomorrow at 7 for any who missed it, like I did.

• Love 3

At first it looks like the teens are involved in this along with their mother's characters, but according to IMDB, it appears as if they're playing the teen versions of Aurora and Sally via flashbacks.

Yes, the new mystery is tied to Aurora’s “origin story” as a murder enthusiast. There’s a young Arthur, too!

• Useful 2

I remembered watching After All These Years when it originally aired so turned to it today while working from home.  I think Wendie Malick brings it every time.  I had forgotten the intricacies of the plot so it was a nice reminder. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I remembered watching After All These Years when it originally aired so turned to it today while working from home.  I think Wendie Malick brings it every time.  I had forgotten the intricacies of the plot so it was a nice reminder. 

I caught this little gem of a movie On Demand as well.  They're a nice break from the same ol' same ol' formula of current Hallmark movies.  Also, I strongly recommend Blackwater Lightship  Takes place in Ireland about 3 generations of women and their family issues.  Good story and beautiful scenery.  

On 2/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, LuvMyShows said:

Also, Cut, Color, Murder will be on tomorrow at 7 for any who missed it, like I did.

Saw it last night and loved it!  The lead actress was really good and her sleuthing didn't fall in the annoying category of Aurora Teagarden or Murder, She Baked.  It was really the opposite with the sheriff asking her for help since she's the town hair stylist and her husband was a late police officer.  And by that little reveal at the very end, it looks as thought it may have been set up as a pilot for future movie series.

Little nitpicks (of course - it IS Hallmark after all!)  Whenever Allie cut a guy's hair, she just sat him down in the chair and randomly cut the back only.  My hair stylists always sprays a guy's hair down with water and gives an all over cut.  

I also thought Allie purposefully running into the detective in the coffee shop to make him spill his coffee on himself was not only immature on her part, but could've injured or burned him (even though they use cold coffee or empty cups as props - but still)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ctlady said:

Saw it last night and loved it!  The lead actress was really good 

Little nitpicks (of course - it IS Hallmark after all!)  Whenever Allie cut a guy's hair, she just sat him down in the chair and randomly cut the back only.  My hair stylists always sprays a guy's hair down with water and gives an all over cut.  

OMG the haircut thing bothered me sooo much!  I was not too thrilled with the movie.  It felt like it dragged on.  The new detective irks me...and he doesn't seem to have any personality. However, I was intrigued, though, by the ending with the photo.  Was it showing the new detective being at her late husband's funeral?

I'm also hoping someone can explain the ending, about what specifically happened with the 2 jackets.  Also why did that mother kill the pageant organizer...just because she disqualified her daughter?  And how did the police chief and detective know that something was wrong with Allie, and then something about tracking her with her phone?

7 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

The new detective irks me...and he doesn't seem to have any personality.

Haha. He's gotten better over the years. Both Ryan McPartlin and Eva Tamargo (Allie's mom) were on Passions (the soap opera) way back. He was so wooden in his performance we dubbed him "Hank (his character) the Plank." Didn't help he replaced a fan fav who was shorter and more boyish-appearing since they wanted to take the character "in a different direction." Yeah, that worked. Nice to see Eva not in a maid's uniform. That is a positive development for Latinas.

On another note, I am not a fan of CCB and dragging her (probably talentless) spawn into a series is not a good look. Nepotism should be frowned upon by HMM.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I'm also hoping someone can explain the ending, about what specifically happened with the 2 jackets.  Also why did that mother kill the pageant organizer...just because she disqualified her daughter?  And how did the police chief and detective know that something was wrong with Allie, and then something about tracking her with her phone?

The jacket thing was convoluted.  It seems Missy/Mitzy (pageant coordinator) had on a jacket the same color as the mom of the disqualified girl.  Missy took her jacket off and put it on the back of the chair, but later surveillance shows who appeared to be her with jacket and matching pants on walking in the background, but Missy's jacket was still on the back of the chair.  which means the person walking away wasn't Missy, but the pageant mom dressed exactly the same way

As for the mother who killed her because of the disqualification - do you remember The Texas Cheerleader Mom story from the 90s?  Crazed moms will do anything to keep their daughters at the cream of the crop

And I kind of dozed off when Allie was tied up so I don't know how she was found

9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Was it showing the new detective being at her late husband's funeral?

The photos looked like surveillance ones of when her husband was a cop/detective and being handed something.  Turned out the handee was the new detective guy (I just don't remember his name)

• Love 1

I'm still trying to get back in the habit of watching HMM and forgot this movie was on Sunday.  And I missed the first 20 minutes of it yesterday evening so it took a bit to figure out who was who.  I liked it though.  The leads were completely new to me and were likable, especially Allie, her mom? and her sister.  I also really liked the police chief and his relationship with Allie and the tech guy who started snacking on the cop's french fries.  HMM mysteries almost always have great supporting casts.

Thank you @ctlady for explaining about the photo because I was coming here to post the exact same question. 

Any word on if this is going to be a new series or is it a one off?  A repeat of To Catch a Spy came on right after Cut, Color and I remembered that it was supposed to be a series titled Destination Mysteries and then it never happened.  I'm hoping HMM got the memo that mystery lovers want more mysteries and not more bland love stories. 

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Any word on if this is going to be a new series or is it a one off?  A repeat of To Catch a Spy came on right after Cut, Color and I remembered that it was supposed to be a series titled Destination Mysteries and then it never happened.  I'm hoping HMM got the memo that mystery lovers want more mysteries and not more bland love stories. 

I wanted more To Catch A Spy but they must have decided before it aired that it'd be one and done.  Maybe the international locations were too daunting.

But given that this ends on a cliffhanger, I definitely anticipate that this is intended to be a series.  They don't need an exotic filming locale and they use some Hallmark regulars. 

• Love 1