Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Matchmaker Mystery is my least favorite of the mysteries series BY FAR.  I always enjoy Bruce Boxleitner and the story lines are decent for Hallmark Mysteries, but in no way do I buy the Victor Webster-Danica McKellar pairing.  If they ever kiss (as is the Hallmark relationship buildup fashion), I think I will throw up a little.  The (very) big brother-little sister vibe is all I see with those two.  I don't begrudge Danica a career with Hallmark, but IMO she is never a good romantic match with her co-lead.  The Mark Deklin is another pairing that I thought seemed older brother/younger sister and cringeworthy.  Another point where I rolled my eyes -- Victor's character showed up for breakfast and Danica was already in a dress with high heels!  In one scene Danica had on a dress with a jacket and was standing next to the museum assistant who was wearing almost the identical dress and jacket -- it was weird to see!  One of my pet peeves is all of these sky high heels that Hallmark women wear at the most inappropriate times -- walking on gravel or grass, casual breakfast, on the beach boardwalk, etc etc.  I do a little internal cheer when I see a situation-appropriate shoe like a flat, boot, wedge, or a rare tennis shoe!!  

• Love 5

I just found out there is a series of movies based on [b]The Gourmet Detective[/b].  I read all of the Peter King books and really enjoyed them.  I don't get the Hallmark Mystery channel so I'm going to see if I can find these at my library or another library.

I wonder how faithful they will be to the books.  Each book focused on a particular cuisine.  My favourite was the one where there was a recreation of a medieval feast.

• Love 2

I really like Danica McKellar, too...remember her as Winnie Cooper.  Sadly, she is maybe one of the weakest Hallmark actresses...just a couple of facial expressions (happy/sad) and no spark with co-stars.  But she doesn't make me grit my teeth like a couple of used-too-often actresses.  I am surprised they have cast her in what appears to be a new series.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It happened again! I am in the middle of binge-recording Matlock (since we are still in The Year of Covid Where Time Has Stopped I wanted something new to watch) and it looks like as of next Thursday or Friday it's going to disappear from the lineup!

Matlock is also shown on MeTV and fetv (which I didn't even know existed until I searched my guide), so you might be able to catch episodes you missed if you get either of those channels.

• Useful 1
On 4/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, LexieLily said:

It happened again! I am in the middle of binge-recording Matlock (since we are still in The Year of Covid Where Time Has Stopped I wanted something new to watch) and it looks like as of next Thursday or Friday it's going to disappear from the lineup!

When I saw Murder, She Wrote in Matlock's daytime spot I thought for a second that HMM wasn't going to air MSW in it's normal late night run.  Thankfully it's still there.  I watch MSW most every night (even though its annoying it's now from 11-3 instead of 10-2), and I'd be ever so pissed if they pulled it from the late night schedule.

Like some others, Matchmaker Mystery is my least favorite.  The only part that surprised me in the newest movie was near the end when Victor's character tossed his handcuffs to Danica's character to restrain the murderer.  That was well done.  But the rest, eh.  Their relationship is much more believable as friends.  Partly that's due to her not great acting ability, but also because he towers over her.  Maybe if Danica was taller or Victor was shorter they wouldn't look so much like a big brother-little sister duo?  I don't know.  Also, I don't like any of her outfits.  Usually the heroines in these movies have nice coats, sweaters and boots/shoes, but poor Danica get stuck with ugly dresses and pumps.

Whatever.  The real mystery is why this series is being made but not more Emma Fielding or Gourmet Detective movies.

I'm looking forward to the new detective in the Morning Show Mysteries.  I didn't mind the other guy but he was pretty low energy.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

When I saw Murder, She Wrote in Matlock's daytime spot I thought for a second that HMM wasn't going to air MSW in it's normal late night run.  Thankfully it's still there.  I watch MSW most every night (even though its annoying it's now from 11-3 instead of 10-2), and I'd be ever so pissed if they pulled it from the late night schedule.

I wonder why MSW gets two different slots now.

I don't know.  HMM's scheduling has always been strange.  I'd love to see episodes of Perry Mason, Matlock, Columbo, Diagnosis Murder, Monk, etc., every day (and some of the old British mysteries would be great, too), but instead they run blocks of just one show for hours at a time ... and then disappear a series for months or drop it all together. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I don't know.  HMM's scheduling has always been strange.  I'd love to see episodes of Perry Mason, Matlock, Columbo, Diagnosis Murder, Monk, etc., every day (and some of the old British mysteries would be great, too), but instead they run blocks of just one show for hours at a time ... and then disappear a series for months or drop it all together. 

My issue, too.  And on the original Hallmark Channel, they show episodes of Reba and Golden Girls for hours.  GG starts at 10 most nights for a few hours, shifts to Frasier for a bit, maybe back to GG/Reba until the movies start.  Don't know what time that is...1:00?  11:00?  I have to wonder why they canceled the daily home/cooking/ show with the soap star guy..Cameron Mathison?  Seems that would be better than hours of Reba and GG.  And I love Golden Girls...just not for hours at this point. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kitty Redstone said:

It's weird. Diagnosis Murder was dropped for Little House on the Prairie back in January for reasons unknown to all, and the different blocks designated for each show move around at will.  

• Love 1

Finally got through the latest Matchmaker. It took THREE tries. Seriously. This just isn't a good series. Danica isn't a good actor, and I just CAN'T with the matchmaker premise. Every single thing about that character and her job makes my teeth hurt.

I have loved that HMM has come out with two new movies each month lately. While it would be awesome to have even MORE, it has been nice to have new movies on a regular basis. Hope this continues!

• Love 4
On 4/4/2021 at 8:07 AM, Veronica said:

I think both she and Polaha mentioned they would begin filming Mystery 101 in April.

She and her family left their farm in Tennessee a few days ago, and are driving (RV) to Vancouver to quarantine before filming according to her Instagram posts & stories.

They did the same thing last fall when she needed to go up to film the Christmas movie and the last 101. They were nervous about flying with the baby during a pandemic so they bought an RV. 

Yes, they are in Vancouver near the end of their quarantine period. They passed within miles of my home in Washington State on the way there, and stopped to take pictures!

The props budget for the next "Mystery 101" will be huge -- because of the need for many long scarves, cafeteria trays for Jill to carry, and counters for her to stand behind.  She is already very visibly pregnant, looking around six months, but perhaps less.  But that was already three weeks ago when she was taking impending baby pictures out here.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Finally got around to watching the latest Matchmaker Mystery, & I thought it was boring. Danica McKellar has absolutely no charisma, she brings nothing to her character & shouldn't be the star. Also, they're obviously trying to make her look sexy by having everything she wears be body con, but it's not working. She would be better off as the sidekick, not the main character. 

• Love 5

Are the Mystery 101 movies based on Murder 101 by Maggie Barbieri ? Im listening to thr book now and I have to say-- the movie is DEFINITELY better. And it doesnt help that the narrator is not good at all. 

They just wrapped the filming of the new Mystery 101 in Vancouver CA yesterday -- three weeks of filming.  I know that is the Hallmark system, but it seems so fast!    

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, mikeb said:

There is going to be a new original movie premiering on HMM in June - To Catch A Spy starring Colin Donnell, Nathalie Kelley, and Patti Murin.  

Looks like it will be June 20, with the new Aurora Teagarden "Til Death Do Us Part" on June 13.

• Love 1

Enjoyed the new Martha's Vineyard episode tonight.  Having it take place in a real location is kinda neat.  Unfortunately it became obvious that it was going to be the pastry guy, because they introduced him but didn't really follow up much with him the way they did with the other people that they introduced, and that's a pattern these shows do sometimes.  It didn't make sense at the end when Jeff and Zee went to confront him at the bakery but didn't have police back-up...did they just think the guy would confess and willingly come to the station to be arrested, after having already killed two people?  It also didn't make sense that the Boston detective would have let Jeff take that active of a role in the arrest and capture of that guy.  But other than those two things, I was pretty engrossed.  I find it interesting how on such a small island, they find ways to show who already is and is not acquainted with who, and why there would be people who they had never met before, like that orchid guy.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

In that article, there is a quote that says "fans are not happy with the disappearance of Fox!"...they obviously didn't check with the fans here on this forum!

I must be in a tiny group (possibly of one) but I like Rick Fox.  I really respect his changing careers and I think his demeanor is genuine and kind.  I’m sorry he won’t be back, but I’ll still be watching the next MSM.  

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I must be in a tiny group (possibly of one) but I like Rick Fox.

It's not that I dislike Rick Fox.  I think he's fine. I just didn't think he was compelling enough to carry this character or had much chemistry with Holly Robinson Peete. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Enjoyed the new Martha's Vineyard episode tonight.  Having it take place in a real location is kinda neat.  Unfortunately it became obvious that it was going to be the pastry guy, because they introduced him but didn't really follow up much with him the way they did with the other people that they introduced, and that's a pattern these shows do sometimes.  It didn't make sense at the end when Jeff and Zee went to confront him at the bakery but didn't have police back-up...did they just think the guy would confess and willingly come to the station to be arrested, after having already killed two people?  It also didn't make sense that the Boston detective would have let Jeff take that active of a role in the arrest and capture of that guy.  But other than those two things, I was pretty engrossed.  I find it interesting how on such a small island, they find ways to show who already is and is not acquainted with who, and why there would be people who they had never met before, like that orchid guy.

It was still entertaining, but agree with the predictable patterns and illogical police work stuff.

I am kind of annoyed that they walked back the kiss from the last episode, not that I want to watch people sucking face or anything, but these movies are so unrealistic in the relationship aspect of things, just let people date and kiss once and awhile, not just at the very end of the movie or at the very end after like 4 movies or something :P I don't expect them to imply that all of the people are like sleeping together or anything, but a little affection is nice, and I was glad they moved forward with something in the last movie.... 

The mystery itself was complex which made it a little more interesting, and they at least introduced a bunch of new people, not just one new character that somehow would have to be the killer... so hopefully they will keep getting better at this.

Not sure what to think of all of the back in boston stuff, but I suppose that's something that can carry through a few movies before finally getting a resolution... though I expect they will do some stunt casting like they did for the Hailey Dean mysteries that the big name celebrity suddenly in a couple of movies will be the big bad in the long standing case... 

12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not that I dislike Rick Fox.  I think he's fine. I just didn't think he was compelling enough to carry this character or had much chemistry with Holly Robinson Peete. 

This is me exactly. He was fine, but I didn't find him a great fit for these movies. We'll see if the new guy is better acting wise... He's good looking at least, we know that much :P

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree about being disappointed about them walking the relationship back a step — kinda bummed about that but in some ways, I can see how it makes sense from the storyline.  Sarah Lind’s makeup looked gorgeous tonight.  I’m glad to see the Vineyard mysteries back.  Missed the cute Bob the barista — where did they say he was?  Interesting that they had the scene with Jackie Shawl but it was only a little nibble of a plot — we’ll see where that goes.  

Edited by MerBearHou
(edited)

I don't often post but I have to say I was very disappointed in Zee's reaction to their relationship.   She says she's not sure she can trust him even after he has saved her life multiple times, and he's never come across as interested in anyone else.  I'm not sure if Hallmark wants to become the CW of angst, but these writers should take a page from the Mystery 101 team and put a healthy relationship out there.  It really seems like they changed the relationship for no reason and out of no where and it really killed a decent movie.  I hope Jeff ends up with Jackie Shawl after this nonsense!

Edited by publius
Typo

I've said it before, but I really hate the financially-based murder mysteries. Money laundering is just so boring and confusing, and I can't relate to it as a motive. Give me crimes of passion and jealousy! And this Martha's Vineyard movie left me scratching my head because there were so many pieces to it. So, let me get this straight: the guy at the bank was heavily into gambling (which they didn't bother to mention until the last ten minutes), and he was laundering money from a big fish bookie (the baker) through his restaurant, and also through a fake company (why both?), and his employees found out about it and were blackmailing him? So who set up the dead girl to go to the bank as the rep of the fake company: the murderer, the bank guy, or her blackmailing boyfriend? And what was that nonsense about the bank guy's sister purposefully transferring $100k into Zee's account with the intent of getting Zee to start asking questions? When her plan worked, she obstructed Zee and Jeff at every turn when they tried to get information from her. And there was no need to frame her brother with the fake transfer, since she knew he was already up to things that were against his "morals clause." The whole thing just didn't gel for me.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Unfortunately it became obvious that it was going to be the pastry guy, because they introduced him but didn't really follow up much with him the way they did with the other people that they introduced, and that's a pattern these shows do sometimes. 

Absolutely. There was no "reason" to suspect him, but I called it early on, for exactly this explanation.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, LuvMyShows said:

It didn't make sense at the end when Jeff and Zee went to confront him at the bakery but didn't have police back-up

Not to mention that it was in a cafe full of innocent customers. Talk about reckless!

I like this series, and Jesse is nice to look at, so these little things don't bother me too much.

I think the key (for viewers) pointing to the baker was found in dialogue among the detectives (include Zee here) relevant to timing. The money hijinks started around the same time the baker arrived to open his upscale bakery (and Beach House was his very first business customer). So many Murder She Wrote plots were revealed with offhand statements like this. I liked the baker actor-got a Michael Constantine vibe off him (an older actor who could play kindly gramps as well as really evil, manipulative types).
I truly hope the “Boston Baddie” (be it an individual or clandestine group) doesn’t turn into a dragged out Red John. Still not trusting Andy-too quick with the excuses, troubled looks when he hangs up the phone. He knows more than he’s telling or he’s involved. Also hope he can trust his new desk-riding sarge friend. So far, he’s come up aces, so I’ll go out on a limb and say this new character will help solve the shooting mystery. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Hot diggity! I suspected this announcement was coming with Alison and Cameron both being up in Vancouver getting ready to start filming a new Hallmark movie, but it's official. They're going to do another Murder, She Baked movie! This is one of my fave Hallmark mystery series, so I am jazzed!

Rebranded Murder, She Baked

Edited by BrainyBlonde
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Hot diggity! I suspected this announcement was coming with Alison and Cameron both being up in Vancouver getting ready to start filming a new Hallmark movie, but it's official. They're going to do another Murder, She Baked movie! This is one of my fave Hallmark mystery series, so I am jazzed!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/05/18/alison-sweeney-cameron-mathison-and-barbara-niven-reunite-for-a-new-hannah-swensen-mysteries-on-hallmark-movies-and-mysteries-253015/20210518hallmark01/

I am so jazzed too!  Love this duo together.  

• Love 1

This is exciting news for me. I was worried they were going to leave it behind because of Alison's new series. 

But this mystery series just had a higher success rate, IMO, in terms of interesting mysteries and genuine chemistry between the leads.  I think this might be my favorite mystery series--even above the Mystery 101 franchise.

• Love 5
On 5/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, Daff said:

I truly hope the “Boston Baddie” (be it an individual or clandestine group) doesn’t turn into a dragged out Red John.

Me too. I like the idea of an over-arcing mystery, but my main problem is that there is such a long time between movies that by the time the next one comes around I've forgotten which tiny bits of info we were given in the last one. When this finally comes to a head, they really need to do a recap first!

• Love 1

Although, so far, I think they’ve managed to show us a quick clip of that shooting scene in every movie so far. I look forward to the M’sV mysteries more than the others. Maybe it’s the idea of island life (having been stranded on Nantucket with a bicycle and a hurricane coming years ago). There was a lottery for folks with vehicles. They were so concerned about them that it finally took a local to tell us we could easily walk on the last “fast” ferry-and she was correct-it was near empty!

• Love 1

Well, I just watched the newest Billie Blessings movie and.....not great. First they got rid of her restaurant, now she's a "reporter". Second, there isn't any more chemistry between her & the new guy than there was between her & Rick Fox, which leads me to believe the problem is with Holly Robinson Peete. They kept the aunt which is fine, but they got rid of the restaurant, so I don't really know what they're going to do with the aunt in the future, 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, GaT said:

Well, I just watched the newest Billie Blessings movie and.....not great. First they got rid of her restaurant, now she's a "reporter". Second, there isn't any more chemistry between her & the new guy than there was between her & Rick Fox, which leads me to believe the problem is with Holly Robinson Peete. They kept the aunt which is fine, but they got rid of the restaurant, so I don't really know what they're going to do with the aunt in the future, 

I'm willing to give a little more time for chemistry to develop because at least the new detective isn't as wooden as Rick Fox.  I don't like how 98% of the time they are having him be very earnest and serious when he talks...it almost comes across as bad acting because it just seems a little overwrought.  But the few times they actually had him smile and let him be a little lighter, he seemed personable and normal.

When Billie was giving us the summary about the restaurant closing, and she was talking about having ended a long-term relationship, was she talking about the Rick Fox character?  Also, the aunt just seems a little too extra in how she reacts and talks.

Plotwise, I didn't like it...it was too convoluted and I had a very hard time following it.  I also thought it was very weird that the killer would convene a party where the whole purpose was to discuss everything that was going on.  And who tried to kill the woman's father at the beginning, and why?

Big peeve...it really looked like neither Billie nor the detective were wearing seat belts when they were in the car together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

When Billie was giving us the summary about the restaurant closing, and she was talking about having ended a long-term relationship, was she talking about the Rick Fox character?  

Yep, he took another job in LA.

9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I also thought it was very weird that the killer would convene a party where the whole purpose was to discuss everything that was going on.  And who tried to kill the woman's father at the beginning, and why?

They did it so they could frame the other person.

I kind of liked it.  I think the new cop has a more natural acting style compared to Rick Fox and when he smiled, I did see some potential that chem could develop.  It'd make sense if it wasn't right there as she is, after all, mourning that other relationship. (Although I didn't remember them actually getting together which just goes to show you how unmemorable they were as a duo.)

But you know who I thought she did spark with--unintentionally?  Carlos, the new reporter character they added. He started off as obnoxious but he grew on me and they made a great team.

If this series were smart, it wouldn't hold so firm on who her love interest is now that the original guy left.  Test them both.  But the aunt is already pushing Billie towards NuCop. 

On 5/24/2021 at 1:29 AM, GaT said:

now she's a "reporter"

I'd say she's a television personality more than an actual reporter. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd say she's a television personality more than an actual reporter. 

Yeah, but she called herself a reporter.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:29 AM, GaT said:

I thought the new guy who replaced Rick Fox, Colin Lawrence, seemed familiar so I looked him up and it turns out he has also played Holly Robinson Pete’s love interest in the Hallmark Evergreen movies.  

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 5/24/2021 at 12:53 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

So if they're doing a new Murder She Baked....maybe there is hope for an Emma Fielding and Gourmet Detective?

I hope so, too.  While I love all the series (except for the matchmaker ones), these two are the ones I like best. 

Like some others, I'll miss the restaurant in the Morning Show Mysteries.  The chef and his dog were cute.  But, I liked the reporter guy and the new detective. 

ETA:  I'd ***love*** to see some new Darrow & Darrow mysteries, too.  That cast was fantastic.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 4

I started this 3x and quit about 1/3 through each time. Finally slogged through it today. I miss the conviviality of the restaurant, always thinking the “Morning Show” part was lame, but it made sense to have Billie contribute to a local broadcast. I don’t buy that someone like her would give up her enterprise/independence for a TV show run by a bunch of cliche characters. Don’t care about the “star” (in his own mind), don’t care about the exec. producer, don’t even care about the vapid stage manager. The only other real person in that studio is the cameraman.
Conversely, all of the restaurant employees made this show. Max and his dog were a delight, always good for a laugh, a wise warning, or an historical tidbit to help solve the mystery.  Auntie had a vibrant role, making things run smoothly, not just a sidekick, as she is now. Her vocal worrying had an integral place in the restaurant’s function, but now she’s portrayed as just an intrusive relative sounding off. I feel very sorry for the actress having to play this part. 
Moreover, being a small business owner connected Billie to this community in ways that now, being just a face on TV will never achieve. While I liked the new detective, the imported reporter was merely additional cliche and WAY over played. He’s now a “dreaded” entity, run when you see him coming! (The last character I remember on TV like that was Ted Knight, and even his ignorance was at least good for a chuckle). 
The first 5 movies had some difficulties, but this just went from fixable to down the tubes. Feel sorry for HRP. This had such potential, but they threw out all the good and piled on with cliched tripe. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

ETA:  I'd ***love*** to see some new Darrow & Darrow mysteries, too.  That cast was fantastic.

This. It occurs to me that Hallmark has taken an old buzz line from another cable network (was it USA?) and has driven down a dark, irretrievable road with it. The buzz essentially was “watch us because WE have characters (you know, all the ones you want to see)”. I’m ok with the AT mysteries, think the MV’s are currently the best, like and look forward to the Crosswords (but I keep looking for the goats). Although I tolerate Alison Sweeney’s show because I like the setting and characters, it rankles when she uses that ominous tone during her podcasts. Like the 101s, but my attention almost always strays during the redhead’s (Cole?). Archeology mysteries are smart, D&D are smart and witty and, yes, a great cast. As the owner of many power tools, I genuinely appreciated the contractor mysteries (that, and CF- always waiting for him to say, “That can’t be good.”). 

• Love 4

I recently just got a poll from Hallmark Channel and it looks like a new mystery series could be on the way. Melanie Abrams Mysteries. Wonder who the stars will be.

Could it be the mystery series Nikki Deloach talked about? I'm impatiently awaiting her series.

I think I read somewhere To Catch A Spy was originally titled Destination Mysteries. Whatever happened to Erin Krakow' mystery series the Royal Mysteries?

4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

As usual, I am irrationally excited about there being a new mystery movie this weekend...been looking forward to it all week as just a fun/silly diversion to end the week!

I saw commercial for the new Aurora Teagarden movie this weekend.  Her fiance Nick must have led a very lonely life if best he could do was ask her nephew Phillip to be his best man.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, LuvMyShows said:

As usual, I am irrationally excited about there being a new mystery movie this weekend...been looking forward to it all week as just a fun/silly diversion to end the week!

Yeah I got excited about the Aurora Teagarden movie. I usually like those.

• Love 1

LuvMyShowsAurora, Sally, Aida and Nick were in the church talking about flowers (Aida and Sally were feuding a bit) while in the warehouse, a worker was using a jackhammer and found a human skull. Aida is called to the property because she had convinced the owner of the warehouse (a friend of Aurora’s father) to sell, and the police needed to get in touch with him. Aida brought Aurora, so they could talk more about the wedding plans in the car (they had no idea about the body). 

Hope that’s helpful!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, lizzbert said:

LuvMyShowsAurora, Sally, Aida and Nick were in the church talking about flowers (Aida and Sally were feuding a bit) while in the warehouse, a worker was using a jackhammer and found a human skull. Aida is called to the property because she had convinced the owner of the warehouse (a friend of Aurora’s father) to sell, and the police needed to get in touch with him. Aida brought Aurora, so they could talk more about the wedding plans in the car (they had no idea about the body). 

Hope that’s helpful!

Thanks Lizzbert!!

Well that was one of the more disappointing Teagarden mysteries.  It didn't seem like the wife was enough of a major character in the episode to be a 'valid' suspect, and the mystery didn't evolve very interestingly.  I guess that was due to the need to have the wedding stuff and her dad/mom thing take more of a front seat.  Glad they finally got married, though. 

For anyone who read the books, did the concept of switching love interests back several years ago, come from the books or was that something that was added?  Also, was the wedding and the dad/mom thing in the books?

• Love 3

In the books, Aurora dated Robin, then married Martin (who was a much older man in the books). Martin died of a heart attack, and Aurora later married Robin and they had a baby.

In the books, Aurora’s dad left Aida and married a younger woman and had a son, Phillip (who is her cousin in the movies)! Phillip was kidnapped as a boy in part because Aurora was embroiled in a mystery, so they blamed her and moved across the country and refused to let her interact with him. Later, as a teenager, Phillip caught his dad cheating on his mom with a teenager (a friend of his) and ran away from home to live with Aurora. His mom moved away to a commune and abandoned him and his dad was in trouble with some bad people for embezzling or somesuch. Aurora’s dad is an ASS in the books, she basically throws him out of her life.

Aida married John in the books and was very happy.

• Useful 1