Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I meant to reply to this earlier but I forgot.  Signed, Sealed, Delivered was/is one the more reliably entertaining franchises, IMO. It's also one of their longest running mystery franchises but mystery in a less bloody way.  I'm a little jealous you could discover it just now.

It was definitely more impactful being able to binge the episodes and movies back-to-back without having to wait a week or year or however long it was when they were first aired.  I was able to really follow along the story threads without delays and feel the beautiful, slow unfolding and evolution of the relationships.  

• Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 8:25 AM, AAEBoiler said:

Wait, there was a new one released? Did I miss something?

Color me confused as well.  Wiki shows that Heist and Seek premiered on May 17, but I haven't seen a new mystery in about a month, yet the plot summary in Wiki (a stolen crown from a gala) sounds like the plot I saw from some episode where the jewels were emerald and the crime ended up having something to do with the person who installed a security system (I think).  Can someone help explain?

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Color me confused as well.  Wiki shows that Heist and Seek premiered on May 17, but I haven't seen a new mystery in about a month, yet the plot summary in Wiki (a stolen crown from a gala) sounds like the plot I saw from some episode where the jewels were emerald and the crime ended up having something to do with the person who installed a security system (I think).  Can someone help explain?

Yes, the new one premiered a week ago (May 17) and will be repeated today at 5:00 pm.

I don't recall whether the jewels were emerald.

To avoid spoiling those who haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler

The security guard who was protecting it stole it at the direction of a museum board member who ended up killing the security guard.  The motive was ridiculous - he wanted it to win back his estranged wife since the crown was a gift from one of her ancestors long time ago to a member of royal family.

They left a major plot point hanging - it was smuggled out in a garbage bag and was later recovered from a dumpster by someone.  When Sally confronted the killer, she pointed out they must have had an accomplice to retrieve it and he didn't deny it but said that he didn't need to confess anything to her (although seemed to me, he had time to retrieve it himself).  Then the idea of an accomplice was dropped and never mentioned again.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mikeb said:
Spoiler

When Sally confronted the killer, she pointed out they must have had an accomplice to retrieve it and he didn't deny it but said that he didn't need to confess anything to her (although seemed to me, he had time to retrieve it himself).  Then the idea of an accomplice was dropped and never mentioned again.

Putting my thoughts in a spoiler just in case: 

Spoiler

Yes! I thought the same thing - I was ready for them to reveal that Eric had been the accomplice. He wasn't with the group when they were searching the dumpster after the auction, which made me think he was going to turn out to be involved. He still seemed a bit suspicious at the end when he caught the girls in his office, especially since he mentioned the police knowing he was on their suspect list would "ruin everything." I knew eventually he would turn out to be a good guy in order to become Sally's love interest but it seemed like something about him was not yet revealed and just dropped entirely. 

I know they were still in the process of filming when COVID-19 shut down production - I wonder if they weren't able to finish the last few scenes about the accomplice and instead just wrapped it up the best they could with the footage they already had? 

• Love 2
On 5/20/2020 at 11:33 AM, mikeb said:

The original weird younger guy was Perry Dell, who was replaced for 2 or 3 movies by his cousin Jason Dell, who was a more bland version - I seem to recall in the first one there was a reference to him being 'out of town'.  Have not heard mention of why either are gone now - they have been essentially been replaced by Aurora's cousin Phillip.

The writer only came back for one episode - the last one Martin was in and then disappeared again with no explanation.  Then they introduced the current professor love interest.

The older black man LeMaster disappeared with no explanation around same time they wrote out John, who was  her mother's love interest.  At least John got an explanation - he moved away after realizing her mother would never marry him.  There is a woman Terry, who was the mayor until last movie, and a new club member Davis who seem to be filling their roles in helping with investigating.

As far as newest movie goes, they really portrayed Lynn and Arthur as incompetent in how they allowed the theft to begin with and how they handled two of the suspects.

ETA:  Found a chart in this wikipedia article that shows which movies each character has appeared in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_Teagarden

Thank you!  I'm all caught up.  I guess I have watched one since Martin left......

(edited)
22 hours ago, ctlady said:

Heads up - beginning at 11am (EST) today there's a Murder, She Baked marathon

I wonder if they regret having Alison Sweeney switch from Murder, She Baked series to Chronicle Mysteries series.  Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention but it seems they are replaying the Murder, She Baked movies more on weekends than the Chronicle Mysteries movies, which I assume is because they are more popular.

I've also noticed they seem to be replaying discontinued series like Flower Shop Mysteries and Fixer Upper Mysteries a lot, but rarely see Morning Show Mysteries, which is suppose to have a new movie filmed at some point.

Edited by mikeb
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mikeb said:

but rarely see Morning Show Mysteries, which is suppose to have a new movie filmed at some point.

That they're planning on a new MSM movie is bizarre as it's one of their worst series that I can think of.  I see no chemistry between the leads and though HRP is fine.. Fox couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. 

I'd recorded the entire series to watch in order when they were replaying them last year, and deleted the lot after the 3rd or 4th movie as they were so terrible.

There are so many series that would be great to have new episodes but MSM is bad.  The other one that really sucks in my estimation though seems to be a favorite here is the series the Gourmet Detective series. 

And again, for me, the male lead Dylan Neal is the weak point in the series, and there isn't a lick of chemistry between the leads that I can see.    

And one actress who I've been at a loss for understanding why she's always cast as the BFF in hallmark movies instead of as a lead is Rukiya Bernard.  I adore her smile. 

(I just looked her up and I'm glad to see she does a lot more outside of hallmark- unfortunately, she seems to be in genre's that I don't watch so I have no idea how big/little her parts are in those shows though it says she 'stars' in Van Helsing so that's good).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Matchmaker Mysteries are far worse than Morning Show Mysteries, IMO.  Both the leads in that one are terrible (wooden, affected, etc.).  It still boggles my mind that Matchmaker got made over another Emma Fielding or Darrow and Darrow.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Matchmaker Mysteries are far worse than Morning Show Mysteries, IMO.  Both the leads in that one are terrible (wooden, affected, etc.).  It still boggles my mind that Matchmaker got made over another Emma Fielding or Darrow and Darrow.

I know, right? The most recent Matchmaker wasn't nearly as bad as the first, but it wasn't even on the same playing field as Emma Fielding or Darrow and Darrow. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kitty Redstone said:

TVFan17 posted here back in March that there were plans to film a new Emma Fielding.  But with the production shutdowns, who knows if it will ever be made.

• Love 2

Hopefully it will @mikeb!  CTS was in the new sleuth mystery promo HMM was running before the shutdowns hit (old clips from Emma Fielding were used) so I figured they were making at least one more movie.  It's good to hear there were definite plans to do so.  I adored that whole cast and wish they'd made a ton more films.

It would be great if HMM took the opportunity to create even more new series than they had planned before.  Sarah Strange deserves her own mystery series and I'd love to see Jen Lilley in something.  JL would make a great Annie Laurance Darling.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 6/1/2020 at 6:50 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

Matchmaker Mysteries are far worse than Morning Show Mysteries, IMO.  Both the leads in that one are terrible (wooden, affected, etc.).  

I agree that MM are bad.. but that being worse doesn't negate how terrible the MSM are and it boggles my mind that either got more than one shot.  

22 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

It would be great if HMM took the opportunity to create even more new series than they had planned before.  Sarah Strange deserves her own mystery series and I'd love to see Jen Lilley in something.  JL would make a great Annie Laurance Darling.

Oh yes, I agree, Sarah Strange deserves her own series.. I like her when she's playing "quirky" characters so I'd like it to be on that line.  And Jenn Lilley is great too though I think JL tends more toward the main hallmark channel style movies, whether by choice or whether it's because that's whats offered to her.  

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, forumfish said:

Watching the Jane Doe marathon today and they keep running a commercial for "Timeless Love" which isn't a who-done-it, but I guess qualifies as a mystery. Anyway, having not recognized either lead, I looked it up on imdb. It doesn't appear to be a Hallmark production. Same for "Midway to Love," which airs later this month.

I'm so glad I've been recording all the mystery series to DVD through the years, I've been watching Garage Sale mysteries every now and then. I think they only ones I'm missing are the pilot to Mystery Woman (which HMM never runs) and one or two of McBride.

I was just mentioning Timeless Love and Midway to Love in the main Hallmark Channel thread the other day, and you're correct -- neither one of them is a Hallmark movie.  Hallmark acquired rights to air both, I suppose.  I think they just put them on the HMM Channel because they didn't have any other new movies ready to air on HMM in June, whereas they have new movies to air on the main Hallmark Channel in June.   So even if the theme of those two movies seems to fit the main channel better than it fits the HMM channel, I guess they are just meant to be void-fillers.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, forumfish said:

I think they only ones I'm missing are the pilot to Mystery Woman (which HMM never runs) and one or two of McBride.

I wish I could find the Mystery Woman pilot. I assume the reason they don't air it is because they recast two major characters (Cassie and Philby) afterward. Still wish they'd air it, though.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I had been letting some podcasts pile up that I planned to listen to sooner or later.  I finally decided to listen to a few of them. 

The most recent Deck the Hallmark podcast with Nikki DeLoach yielded an announcement -- she is developing a mystery movie series with Andrew Walker!  She did not reveal the name of it.  She just said that it was based on a book series, and that they have a really smart writer working on it.  She said that it's a little different from the other mystery movie series that Hallmark has, in that it is not entirely plot-driven only and is focused on character development.

Nikki said that she thinks that they'll get the script finished this year, and the first movie in this new mystery series with Andrew should film next year. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

The most recent Deck the Hallmark podcast with Nikki DeLoach yielded an announcement -- she is developing a mystery movie series with Andrew Walker!  She did not reveal the name of it.  She just said that it was based on a book series, and that they have a really smart writer working on it.  She said that it's a little different from the other mystery movie series that Hallmark has, in that it is not entirely plot-driven only and is focused on character development.

Nikki said that she thinks that they'll get the script finished this year, and the first movie in this new mystery series with Andrew should film next year. 

Looooove this news!!!  

• Love 2
On 6/7/2020 at 8:38 PM, forumfish said:

I'm so glad I've been recording all the mystery series to DVD through the years, I've been watching Garage Sale mysteries every now and then. I think they only ones I'm missing are the pilot to Mystery Woman (which HMM never runs) and one or two of McBride.

HMM is doing a marathon of 6 McBride movies (out of 10 that were made) this Sunday 6/21.  So this might be your chance to catch the ones you missed,

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not Michael Rady but Andrew will do.  (I like Andrew, I just love her with Michael Rady).

It is interesting it switched to Andrew Walker.  There was an interview she did back in December where she said was developing a series of mystery movies with Lisa Durupt to star Nikki and Michael Rady.  I wonder what changed.

https://www.ibtimes.com/11-hallmark-stars-reveal-their-new-2020-movie-plans-2884055

Also Andrew Walker starred in Wedding Planner Mystery with Erica Durance back in 2014 that used to be repeated a lot, but seems to have disappeared from HMM.  I always wondered if that was intended to be a recurring series of movies

Edited by mikeb
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mikeb said:

It is interesting it switched to Andrew Walker.  There was an interview she did back in December where she said was developing a series of mystery movies with Lisa Durupt to star Nikki and Michael Rady.  I wonder what changed.

https://www.ibtimes.com/11-hallmark-stars-reveal-their-new-2020-movie-plans-2884055

Also Andrew Walker starred in Wedding Planner Mystery with Erica Durance back in 2014 that used to be repeated a lot, but seems to have disappeared from HMM.  I always wondered if that was intended to be a recurring series of movies

I think that Michael was Nikki's first choice, and she was even developing it with him in mind, but he was probably never to the point of being officially involved, sadly.  It likely had not gotten to that stage yet, where he had officially signed a contract.  Anything could have changed after she pitched her idea to Hallmark.  Maybe they didn't want Michael in a mystery series right now, but wanted Andrew instead.  Or perhaps Michael was approached to do it and he had to turn it down for some reason.  Who knows?  Hallmark could have asked her who her next choice would be for a leading man and then she chose Andrew, or she could have just told them that Andrew was her next choice and they agreed because they love Andrew.

The Deck the Hallmark guys brought up Michael Rady at some point, but I don't think Nikki elaborated on why he is not doing the mystery series with her (unless I somehow missed an explanation).  He was the first person I thought of when she mentioned that Andrew is in the movie series, because I remembered her saying in a couple of different places that she wanted to work with Michael again. 

So much time will pass between now and when Nikki and Andrew actually film this thing that I wouldn't be shocked if more changes are made to it along the way. 

If this year weren't so messed up -- with everything getting completely canceled, postponed until much later dates, or just thrown way off schedule, not to mention borders being closed and quarantines, etc. -- they probably would have filmed the new mystery later in the year, for a possible January 2021 premiere or something like that (I am just guessing based on some of Hallmark's previous patterns). 

I think that once Hallmark can get back into a groove with filming under all the new guidelines and protocols, and they can get a sense of how long everything is taking with each production -- for example, they might have to wait for actors to self-quarantine for 2 weeks in certain locations, or wait for borders to open up or whatever new delays they might face -- then they will probably start to schedule more things for production on a more regular basis.  

• Love 2

I enjoyed Timeless Love more than I thought I would. I knew as soon as it showed the married couple in bed together it was not a Hallmark original. 🙄

Though, the woman did come off as bat shit crazy when telling the hero how they had been married (in her coma dream) and she knew all this stuff about him. It had stalker vibes. Lol (I know she didn’t stalk him, but if I were him that’s how I’d be feeling.)

HMM just showed Midway to Love, and it seemed like it should be a regular Hallmark Channel offering.  It was fine, predictable as they all are, but pretty obviously a non-Hallmark made movie.   I didn't recognize any of the actors.

I just caught the latest Morning Show Mysteries movie on Hallmark On Demand 'Countdown To Murder'.  For the life of me, I honestly thought that Phil was going to turn out to be the killer the way they kept having him interact with Billie during the scenes that featured her 'whodunit' board.  That would've been a real twist, as well as a gutsy move.

Not bad.  She and Ian finally kissed.  Man, HRP and RF's implants are blinding white

10 hours ago, Suzysite said:

HMM just showed Midway to Love, and it seemed like it should be a regular Hallmark Channel offering.  It was fine, predictable as they all are, but pretty obviously a non-Hallmark made movie.   I didn't recognize any of the actors.

I actually thought the movie was bad. The little plot it had was only at the beginning and the end, and that plot was very silly and badly acted. Everything felt very forced. The female lead's father's home (her childhood home) was even more outrageous in its grandeur than the other Hallmark homes that make it see like everyone can afford fancy homes. And how could the male lead afford the date in a private section of the castle on a small town teacher's salary? Though I guess they referenced he was doing something before that year and maybe he had a higher paying job. I forget if they specified what it was. It was just boring and silly to me and I barely stuck with it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

And how could the male lead afford the date in a private section of the castle on a small town teacher's salary?

I also wondered how much that evening cost him.  I'll just imagine he was owed some favors by the owners.

11 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

The female lead's father's home (her childhood home) was even more outrageous in its grandeur than the other Hallmark homes that make it see like everyone can afford fancy homes.

Her dad was a doctor, but that house was way too big for one person.  Maybe it was a family estate or something.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I also wondered how much that evening cost him.  I'll just imagine he was owed some favors by the owners.

Her dad was a doctor, but that house was way too big for one person.  Maybe it was a family estate or something.

A medical doctor? I thought he was a therapist like her. So Ph.D. doctor, like of psychology or something similar. Didn't he want her to partner with him and eventually take over when he wanted to retire?

On 6/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, Suzysite said:

And how could the male lead afford the date in a private section of the castle on a small town teacher's salary?

This observation reminded me of one I made (below) in the Lifetime Movie thread (on Sept 14 2019) how unbelievable some of these characters' manners of living are compared to their professions:

Adding my gripes about LT movies - no matter how old these couples, how big their family is or what they do for a living, they all reside houses that looked as if they belong on the cover of Architectural Digest.  I mean, gourmet kitchens complete with bar sinks, marble counters, pristine white cabinets, gorgeous hardwood floors, wine racks, top of the line appliances, etc, etc, etc,.  I mean the husband can be a fledgling author and the wife a hat shop owner and they can afford to live in all that splendor.

• LOL 3

I'm coming to this late.  Very, very late. I'm desperate for new things to watch so I DVRed Mystery Woman: In the Shadows.  Philby says something like he swore he would protect Samantha.  I hadn't seen any of the other movies.  Was she a spy too?  Is she in witness protection?  What is their relationship?  It isn't clear in the movie.  Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm coming to this late.  Very, very late. I'm desperate for new things to watch so I DVRed Mystery Woman: In the Shadows.  Philby says something like he swore he would protect Samantha.  I hadn't seen any of the other movies.  Was she a spy too?  Is she in witness protection?  What is their relationship?  It isn't clear in the movie.  Thanks in advance.

If I recall correctly, Sam was raised by her uncle after her parents' deaths. Her uncle owned the bookstore. Philby was his best friend. What I can't remember is whether the uncle was a spy too. I assume he was! This was sort of explained in the pilot, which isn't shown anywhere anymore, probably because they recast Philby and her DA best friend after it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kristoffer Polaha told the Hallmarkies Podcast that there are 3 more Mystery 101 scripts written and ready for whenever they can get back to filming.

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Kristoffer Polaha told the Hallmarkies Podcast that there are 3 more Mystery 101 scripts written and ready for whenever they can get back to filming.

Oh, I'm so glad! I enjoy this series. He acts about as well as a bag of rocks, but he's pretty to look at, and he has decent chemistry with his co-star. She's good in the role, and they're both likable.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Oh, I'm so glad! I enjoy this series. He acts about as well as a bag of rocks, but he's pretty to look at, and he has decent chemistry with his co-star. She's good in the role, and they're both likable.

Kristoffer is not only really charming, but he's definitely one of the better guests on any of the Hallmark-focused podcasts too, because he is always very engaged and involved in the conversation.  He always asks the podcasters about their own lives and opinions.  He remembers where they live (different states).  He has no problem talking in these interviews, rather than just giving short, non-detailed answers.  He has a sense of humor and doesn't seem to take anything too seriously or have a chip on his shoulder when he is interviewed.  He's always interested to learn about what people like and don't like in his Mystery 101 movies and other movies.  In general, he seems to be a really good guy. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

Kristoffer is not only really charming, but he's definitely one of the better guests on any of the Hallmark-focused podcasts too, because he is always very engaged and involved in the conversation.  He always asks the podcasters about their own lives and opinions.  He remembers where they live (different states).  He has no problem talking in these interviews, rather than just giving short, non-detailed answers.  He has a sense of humor and doesn't seem to take anything too seriously or have a chip on his shoulder when he is interviewed.  He's always interested to learn about what people like and don't like in his Mystery 101 movies and other movies.  In general, he seems to be a really good guy. 

Couldn't agree more!  Kristoffer is a kind of rare soul, IMO -- very genuine, interesting and interested, engaged in interviews and with his co-stars.  That's why I think his chemistry comes across so well with Jill and many other co-stars.  He is in my top 2 faves (Marc Blucas being the other).

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Couldn't agree more!  Kristoffer is a kind of rare soul, IMO -- very genuine, interesting and interested, engaged in interviews and with his co-stars.  That's why I think his chemistry comes across so well with Jill and many other co-stars.  He is in my top 2 faves (Marc Blucas being the other).

I think you're exactly right.  He pays attention to people and is probably just more 'plugged in' to the whole process of making movies for Hallmark (or whatever else he works on) compared to some other actors who might just want to collect a quick paycheck and move on.  Being more tuned in & collaborative, and paying more attention, will lead to better chemistry, for sure!  He doesn't necessarily love the way some things ultimately come out in the finished versions (he has mentioned before that he doesn't like the 2nd Mystery 101 movie "Playing Dead"), but he tries to make them better along the way.

Kristoffer said to the Hallmarkies Podcast that when he did his first movie (the one with Meghan Markle), he wasn't planning for it to become a regular thing.  He figured he wouldn't be with Hallmark for long.  But he ended up doing a second movie (the one with Emilie Ullerup), and the director on the second movie is the one who explained to him that he would be gaining a large new group of fans by his exposure on Hallmark's channels.  She told him that because of how often Hallmark repeats things in a year (as well as the movies being discussed on social media when they air), millions of people would know who he was by the end of that year -- and many of those people wouldn't have known who he was if they didn't follow his pre-Hallmark career.  

So that's another thing that's good about him -- he recognizes the value in sticking with a network and brand such as Hallmark, when other actors might scoff and dismiss such a notion.  And the more reliable and loyal he is to the network, then they are open to doing more things with him -- they'll give him a mystery/movie series, they'll buy his scripts, they'll let him produce, they'll develop certain projects with him, etc.  He's still doing other non-Hallmark work as well (he's in the new Wonder Woman movie), but he can also do more things for Hallmark and take on new responsibilities.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

This press release, which is mostly focused on new Christmas movies, does mention at the end Mystery franchises which will have new movies in 2020 and 2021.  It says they 'include' Picture Perfect Mysteries, Morning Show Mysteries, Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, Mystery 101, and Aurora Teagarden.  Hopefully there are more they left off the list.  Some of the missing include Matchmaker Mysteries, Ruby Herring, Chronicle Mysteries, Hailey Dean, Emma Fielding (which had previously had a new one announced before the shutdown), Darrow and Darrow, and Gourmet Detective.   I figured only a few, if any, would have new movies in 2020 before the Christmas movies take over, but was expecting more to return in 2021.

https://www.crownmediapress.com/PressReleaseList/Details?SiteID=143&NodeID=161&ID=743

• Love 3
(edited)

The reason why I linked to Net's page in the main Hallmark thread (which has the exact same info as what's in the press release) is because the font is easier to read than what's in the press release 🤣 (I have old, tired eyes)--

https://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2020/07/hallmarks-2020-christmas-movies.html

I can zero in on what Hallmark left out vs. what I know is in development, what was previously planned, etc.   I can only assume that they will announce more around the start of 2021 (I don't think there will be a Winter TCA in January).

There are currently no new mystery installments coming this year other than Picture Perfect Mysteries #3.  Everything else appears to be pushed to 2021 because nothing else has been filmed and/or is ready to go.   They'd have to film another mystery by late August to get it on the air sometime in October, and I don't know if they will bother doing that when they're in a scramble to get Christmas movies filmed.

I would not have expected Gourmet Detective to be announced again right now.  That seems to be a "once in a while" kind of thing that Hallmark may call upon every so often.

I expect the same of Darrow & Darrow -- it might be a "once in a while" sort of situation.

Danica McKellar recently said that the script for Matchmaker Mysteries #4 is being written, and movie #3 was supposed to be filmed earlier this year.  I don't know why it was left out of the press release.

Brennan Elliott said that the next installment of Crossword Mysteries is supposed to film in the fall, as far as he knows.  No clue why that was left out of the press release, as that's one of HMM's major series.

Not sure what the status of Chronicle Mysteries might be, although I think Alison Sweeney thought it would go on for a while.

There was another Hailey Dean movie that was supposed to happen this year, but maybe it was canceled?

I would not be shocked if Ruby Herring continued with an occasional random movie, but I also would not be shocked if it's canceled.  I think it can go either way.

I don't know why Emma Fielding was left out, unless Hallmark decided to cancel that 4th movie for now.  

Recently I learned that a couple of Hallmark's people (producers, and people in development) left earlier this year to take other jobs,  Each producer and development person has dozens and dozens of projects to deal with.  So if a producer leaves the company and he or she was, for example, handling the development of the next Emma Fielding movie, then the 4th Emma Fielding movie could be shelved.  I don't know if that is what actually happened, but it happened to Andrew Walker with one of his non-Christmas/non-mystery movies in development -- the producer working on developing it with him left the company, and so his project was shelved.  That could possibly also explain why some of the other mysteries were not mentioned, though that is just a wild guess that could be completely wrong.

Also left out of today's press release:  Destination Mysteries (which is still in the works, per writer Rick Garman), The Royal Mysteries (w/ Erin Krakow) and the untitled mystery movie series with Nikki DeLoach and Andrew Walker.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, GaT said:

Are we ever going to get a new mystery movie?

As I mentioned in my post from last month, there are no new mystery installments coming this year other than Picture Perfect Mysteries #3: Exit Stage Death.   I'm guessing that PPM#3 will be on the air in Sept-Oct because it says "Coming this Fall" on the page for it on Hallmark's website.

While the 14th Aurora Teagarden movie just wrapped up filming, it's not supposed to air until next year.

Nothing else has been filmed, mystery-wise.

And nothing else is scheduled to be filmed yet -- other than the next Martha's Vineyard Mysteries installment.   Now I suppose Hallmark could make a last minute decision to air MVM #3 in October if the filming wraps up without any delays, but I'm guessing it's being lined up for January or sometime early in 2021.  You never know with Hallmark, though.  They add things in at the last minute, and they remove things at the last minute.

However, Kellie Martin and Viv Leacock just recently said on Twitter that they will get back to filming Hailey Dean Mysteries next year!

Edited by TVFan17
Completely forgot about the 3rd Martha's Vineyard Mystery movie, so had to include it!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The 3rd Martha's Vineyard Mysteries movie is now in production (though it seems that it won't air until 2021).  So between that one and the 14th Aurora Teagarden movie that just wrapped up, Hallmark will have at least a couple of new mysteries to start 2021 with.

Meanwhile, Picture Perfect Mysteries: Exit Stage Death is tentatively scheduled to premiere on Sunday, October 11th.   Needless to say, that date can change at the drop of a hat, but it's there right now (according to Hallmark's website)!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mikeb said:

I just saw a commercial that a new Aurora Teagarden will be airing October 18th.  I guess they decided not to hold it until next year.

Oh, that's awesome!  Hallmark just recently said it was coming up in 2021, so it sounds like it was a sudden change (a change for the better).

So if Picture Perfect Mysteries #3 airs on 10/11, according to the Hallmark website, then there will at least be 2 new mysteries in October.  The only other movie they could possibly squeeze into October would be the Martha's Vineyard movie filming right now, but that might be a stretch.

However, based on how they removed a new Crossword Mysteries movie from the lineup in October at the last second in 2019, I don't trust them to keep PPM#3 and AT#14 in October.  I will keep hope alive!  lol

• Love 2

The HMM website is now showing new JL Family Ranch movie premiering on HMM on September 27th.  But it has already been scheduled and then removed at least twice, first on Hallmark Drama and then on HMM.  I hope the new CEO installs someone new in charge of scheduling who can create a plan and stick to it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mikeb said:

The HMM website is now showing new JL Family Ranch movie premiering on HMM on September 27th.  But it has already been scheduled and then removed at least twice, first on Hallmark Drama and then on HMM.  I hope the new CEO installs someone new in charge of scheduling who can create a plan and stick to it.

I spotted that on their website about a week ago, and noticed that they altered the title to include a wedding reference.  While I knew there was a wedding in the movie, the first couple of versions of the title of this movie had no wedding reference.  lol

It was filmed in spring last year, and it was originally assumed that it was going to the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel.  Then Hallmark announced that it would air on the Hallmark Drama channel -- but that was also when they said they would air a new Signed Sealed Delivered movie on Hallmark Drama too.  It seemed like they had bigger plans for Hallmark Drama than what they were prepared to tackle.

Earlier this year, when it was clear that Hallmark didn't have enough new movies in the can to air on all 3 channels, they scheduled JL Family Ranch 2 for an April premiere on both the main Hallmark Channel AND on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries... but not on Hallmark Drama!  lol  So they may have abandoned the Hallmark Drama premiere idea in order to give the movie more exposure on HMM. 

They definitely need someone to get their scheduling worked out, or at least to stop them from announcing or promoting air dates if they are not certain they can stick to them.  Pick a date and stick to it, OR don't announce anything until you are ready to commit to the date and channel.  Other networks may change things behind the scenes a lot too, but we don't know about it because they don't make date announcements until they are ready to stick to them, and they don't change them unless there is some sort of breaking news or whatever.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2