Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

We’re giving a stand-alone Hallmark Movies and Mysteries topic a go*! 

*we do reserve the right to change course if it doesn’t work out. Also, we are not going to spend time moving posts - if it becomes too difficult for posters to go between topics, we will go back to one overall topic.

As always, please PM us, @Athena and @saoirse with questions.

• Love 3

I have been gone from Hallmark for a while and I missed the last two or three Aurora Mysteries. I think the last one I saw was when Martin left.  Do they have different murder club members now?  The previous don't seem to show Perry, the older Black man, or the one that wanted to marry her mother. I thought they were bringing Robin back? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I have been gone from Hallmark for a while and I missed the last two or three Aurora Mysteries. I think the last one I saw was when Martin left.  Do they have different murder club members now?  The previous don't seem to show Perry, the older Black man, or the one that wanted to marry her mother. I thought they were bringing Robin back?  

Yes, there has been a lot of turnover in murder club members. I haven't had chance to watch latest one yet, but Perry seems to have been replaced by his cousin Jason.  John, who was the one who wanted to marry Aurora's mother, was written off a while back as having moved out of town to be closer to family (daughter?) after realizing her mother would never accept his marriage proposals.  Lemaster, the older black man, disappeared with no explanation.  The black woman mayor seems to have joined as a new member.

They brought Robin back for one episode (the last one Martin was in) but then he left again.  There was one movie after that with no love interest, before introducing the Niall Matter character.

Edited by mikeb
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, mikeb said:

Yes, there has been a lot of turnover in murder club members. I haven't had chance to watch latest one yet, but Perry seems to have been replaced by his cousin Jason.  John, who was the one who wanted to marry Aurora's mother, was written off a while back as having moved out of town to be closer to family (daughter?) after realizing her mother would never accept his marriage proposals.  Lemaster, the older black man, disappeared with no explanation.  The black woman mayor seems to have joined as a new member.

They brought Robin back for one episode (the last one Martin was in) but then he left again.  There was one movie after that with no love interest, before introducing the Niall Matter character.

Thanks. 

16 hours ago, mikeb said:

Damn. I liked his character. 

• Love 6
On 8/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, mikeb said:

Yes, there has been a lot of turnover in murder club members. I haven't had chance to watch latest one yet, but Perry seems to have been replaced by his cousin Jason. 

Having watched most of the last two new Aurora Teagarden movies, it looks like both Dell cousins are now gone and replaced by Aurora's cousin (who really is young enough to be her nephew).

Also thought it was strange that in most recent movie, they brought back Sally's father after a long absence, but no sighting or mention of her mother who had appeared in same older movie with her father.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

Having watched most of the last two new Aurora Teagarden movies, it looks like both Dell cousins are now gone and replaced by Aurora's cousin (who really is young enough to be her nephew).

Snort. You're right, though we've heard of no siblings. I wonder how old this Aurora is supposed to be?

In the books Phillip was her half brother. Her father divorced her mother, married a much-younger woman, and had a second family. We see him first as a small boy and then again more frequently when he's old enough to be interesting. I love series that allow their characters to age.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

For the most recent Aurora Teagarden, the motive seems completely implausible. Putting in spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen it yet and doesn't want to be spoiled.

Spoiler

CEO of company is framed for embezzlement by owner's son and is forced to retire with no criminal charges pressed.  Owner realizes son framed him, apologizes and offers him his job back, but CEO conspires with a lawyer and chef to kill the owner and try to frame the son for the murder 'for taking away his job and destroying his reputation' .  Does this make any sense?  Could see if had not been offered job back, but not in these circumstances.   Also, they never established why the lawyer went along with the plan or how the chef could know which glass to put the poison in.

Also, there was a opening scene where the members of the Real Murders club are dressed up in 1920's era costumes that was prominently featured in promos that ended up being brief and pointless other than to introduce some of Sally's family members.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

For the most recent Aurora Teagarden, the motive seems completely implausible. Putting in spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen it yet and doesn't want to be spoiled.

Reveal spoiler

CEO of company is framed for embezzlement by owner's son and is forced to retire with no criminal charges pressed.  Owner realizes son framed him, apologizes and offers him his job back, but CEO conspires with a lawyer and chef to kill the owner and try to frame the son for the murder 'for taking away his job and destroying his reputation' .  Does this make any sense?  Could see if had not been offered job back, but not in these circumstances.   Also, they never established why the lawyer went along with the plan or how the chef could know which glass to put the poison in.

Also, there was a opening scene where the members of the Real Murders club are dressed up in 1920's era costumes that was prominently featured in promos that ended up being brief and pointless other than to introduce some of Sally's family members.

Spoiler

Did I miss what eventually happened to the victim's assistant that was a suspect for most of the movie?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

This bugged me. I was glad to get a new movie, but really bummed that this was absolutely meaningless to the main plot. I wanted it to BE the main plot, even though that's a well known trope. I like that trope.

The story they did was, as you noted, unnecessarily complex to the point of being ridiculous. And Aurora was treating Nick like crap to the point that I thought he should dump her ass.

Wasn't this the first movie where they didn't have a book to base it on? Showed.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jaded said:
  Hide contents

Did I miss what eventually happened to the victim's assistant that was a suspect for most of the movie?

No, you did not miss anything.  She just disappeared towards the end.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mikeb said:

Hide contents

Agree with all you said. Also, honest question - would the new will stand even though the lawyer worked with the criminals? Or would it revert back to the other? They seemed to have the new will mostly stand since Ro's mom had the power to give away the company. But the chef was apparently going to only get the money that was explicitly stated in the first will.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Also, honest question - would the new will stand even though the lawyer worked with the criminals? Or would it revert back to the other? They seemed to have the new will mostly stand since Ro's mom had the power to give away the company. But the chef was apparently going to only get the money that was explicitly stated in the first will.

Pretty sure the new will was legal. The only problem with it in the end that I remember was the typo, and they said there were legal ways to get that fixed.

20 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Pretty sure the new will was legal. The only problem with it in the end that I remember was the typo, and they said there were legal ways to get that fixed.

I think the new will would be tied up in court for years.  You are right that the only problem with it was the 'typo', which was a deliberate mistake on the part of the lawyer as a payoff to the chef.  She did try to cover up and claim it was a typo that could be easily fixed but I could see someone trying to get the entire will thrown out, especially after her involvement in the plot was exposed.

• Love 1

For some reason, the Aurora Teagarden mysteries are my least favorite in the "mystery" genre. Maybe because I just don't care for Candace Cameron Bure...unpopular opinion, I know.  I still miss the Gourmet Detective and Garage Sale mysteries.  

The Mystery Movies are about the only things I watch on the channel; but I get why so many love the romance and Christmas ones.  So, thanks for starting this thread!

• Love 7

Woohoo...our own thread!  I am actually planning my Sunday evening around the new mysteries, working out a little earlier than usual so I can be sure to be home in time.  [Yeah, I know, get a life, right?]  And I saw that last Sunday, they were going to be playing the old Emma Fielding movies, so we timed our return from vacation so I could catch the last showing!

I have really been enjoying having the launching of all the new mystery franchises, and I am also catching up on the old ones that I've been discovering, like Jane Doe and McBride.  And although they were lame, I really liked Signed, Sealed, Delivered, which I consider in the mystery category.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see 'Norman' (Geoff Gustafson) in one of the Emma Fielding movies shown on Sunday. 

If I read it correctly, someone in the Hallmark Movies thread mentioned that there are going to be more SSD movies...I guess that means they will pick up where they left off, with Norman and Rita being newly married and Shane and Oliver building their relationship?  

• Love 2

I've loved getting caught upon the mysteries over the last week or two. We were out of the US for a year, and I fell behind!

I've enjoyed most of the series in general, even though the individual movies aren't always fantastic. I wish they would have more new movies throughout the year and keep the popular ones in perpetual rotation. How about four new movies per year from every franchise?

• Love 5

I wish they would cycle through entire series in order more often. I recently started watching more of the mysteries, but the Hailey Dean seem to be airing somewhat out of order, and it looks like they showed recent Aurora Teagarden movies a couple of weeks ago and then this weekend has the older ones airing.

I believe I saw Gourmet Detective airing this week too. I've heard good things about those so hoping I can catch them on demand or as they air. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

If I read it correctly, someone in the Hallmark Movies thread mentioned that there are going to be more SSD movies...I guess that means they will pick up where they left off, with Norman and Rita being newly married and Shane and Oliver building their relationship?  

Unfortunately (for me at least), the SSD movie is going to air on Hallmark Drama. An unnecessary channel if you ask me. It’s Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. 

I’m so glad we have our own thread! It will be dormant from October-December-but Yay!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, mikeb said:

No, you did not miss anything.  She just disappeared towards the end.

I meant to reply to your reply earlier. I really thought I had missed something since the very end seemed to show so many that were involved in the mystery so I was surprised they weren't there.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:14 PM, VMepicgrl said:

Agree with all you said. Also, honest question - would the new will stand even though the lawyer worked with the criminals? Or would it revert back to the other? They seemed to have the new will mostly stand since Ro's mom had the power to give away the company. But the chef was apparently going to only get the money that was explicitly stated in the first will.

I am an attorney, but I have never done probate law. From what I remember from law school it depends on the state. There is a Uniform and Revised Probate Code that floats around, but unlike the other uniform laws each state either adopts their own totally different version, or a version with pretty big tweaks.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:14 PM, rainsmom said:

This bugged me. I was glad to get a new movie, but really bummed that this was absolutely meaningless to the main plot. I wanted it to BE the main plot, even though that's a well known trope. I like that trope.

The story they did was, as you noted, unnecessarily complex to the point of being ridiculous. And Aurora was treating Nick like crap to the point that I thought he should dump her ass.

Wasn't this the first movie where they didn't have a book to base it on? Showed.

A lot of people were being jerky. Lynn the Chief is the only one who needs to be a little bit of a jerk to sell her hubby/homicide detective's working with Roe as seeming natural as a reaction.

Roe was not directed well here. Even Gladys was being a jerk before. 

Edited by Happywatcher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

For some reason, the Aurora Teagarden mysteries are my least favorite in the "mystery" genre. Maybe because I just don't care for Candace Cameron Bure...unpopular opinion, I know.  I still miss the Gourmet Detective and Garage Sale mysteries.  

The Mystery Movies are about the only things I watch on the channel; but I get why so many love the romance and Christmas ones.  So, thanks for starting this thread!

I'm also not a fan of CCB, so I don't watch the Aurora Teagardens but I'm eagerly awaiting other new mysteries in a couple of weeks :) 

I'm glad they canned Lori Laughlin, but I do miss the garage sale mysteries. I'm glad they are moving forward with so many of the other new mystery series, though I would love some more of the Murder She Baked... but I think the last one seemed pretty final.

• Love 5

I posted most of this info over in the main Hallmark Channel thread when there was only one thread, but now that the mysteries have their own dedicated thread (yay!), I will re-post it here in case people didn't have the time to wade through the other thread's non-mystery posts!

Premiering This Year (2019)

(1) These are the mysteries that are supposed to premiere between now and October 20th of this year -- however, I say "supposed to premiere" because Hallmark has already made some changes to the September schedule, so who knows what will happen with October's schedule?:

***In order of premiere date -- although I am not listing the premiere dates because they might change, and I won't be able to edit this post with the updated dates after a week or two***

(August 2019)

Aurora Teagarden Mysteries: A Very Foul Play (this is movie #12 in the series)

Crossword Mysteries & Friends Preview Special (airing on 8/18, after the Aurora premiere)

Chronicle Mysteries: The Deep End (movie #4 in the series)

(September 2019)

Witness to Murder: A Darrow Mystery (movie #4 in the Darrow & Darrow series)

Mystery 101: Words Can Kill (movie #3 in the series)

Mystery 101: Dead Talk (movie #4 in the series)

Ruby Herring Mysteries:  Her Last Breath (movie #2 in the series)

(October 2019)

MatchMaker Mysteries #1 (movie #1 in the series)

Crossword Mysteries: Proposing Murder (movie #2 in the series -- title could change)

Crossword Mysteries: Abracadaver (movie #3 in the series -- title could change)

Premiering in 2020 and Beyond

(2) Based on what was announced at, around or soon after Hallmark's recent Summer TCA media event, and also what has recently been revealed by actors/writers involved in the assorted mystery series, this appears to be what we can expect, mystery-wise, next year:

***In no specific order***

More Morning Show Mysteries (not sure how many more, but at least one new movie -- #6 in the series)

More Aurora Teagarden Mysteries (not sure how many more, but at least movie #13 in the series, and probably more than that)

More Hailey Dean Mysteries (not sure how many more, but at least movie #10 in the series)

More MatchMaker Mysteries (movie #2 in the series, and probably #3 as well)

More Picture Perfect Mysteries (movies #2 and #3 in the series)

More Crossword Mysteries (starting with movie #4 in the series)

More Chronicle Mysteries (not sure how many, but at least movie #5 in the series)

More Ruby Herring Mysteries (at least movie #3 in the series, if not more)

NEW - Martha's Vineyard Mysteries a.k.a. Mysteries of Martha's Vineyard (this series starring Jesse Metcalfe is reportedly going to include at least 3 installments, but movie #1 is filming very soon)

Gourmet Detective: Roux the Day  (the 5th movie in this series is listed on the IMDB site, and has recently been hinted at by Dylan Neal -- but it is still in development, so it's unknown how long it will take to go into pre-production.   It could possibly be announced in January 2020, at the next TCA event.)

More Signed, Sealed, Delivered (while only movie #13 -- or is it #12? -- has been confirmed at this point, it has been revealed that it will premiere on the Hallmark Drama Channel and not on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel)

NEW -- The Royal Mysteries (this series starring Erin Krakow is still in development, although IMDB lists it as filming, which is not correct -- but it is likely that at least movie #1 in the series will air sometime in 2020)

NEW -- A movie based on Joy Fielding's Charley's Web (starring and Exec. Produced by Susan Lucci) has been in development since 2018, and appears to still be in development now.

NEW -- Destination Mysteries (this was NOT announced by Hallmark, but was just teased by frequent Hallmark writer Rick Garman in June -- so it must still be in development)

UNKNOWN -- So far, no plans  have been announced as far as  Mystery 101 movie #5 and beyond, but Kristoffer Polaha said that if the fans make enough noise about wanting more, Hallmark will listen.

REALLY UNKNOWN -- The Adjuster -- a movie series in the works for 2 years, to be Exec. Produced and inspired by/based on Judy Smith, seems to have fallen off the radar.

Edited by TVFan17
Crossword #4 is not be airing in October after all.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

Thanks for the info, TVFan17,

After airing each of the Gourmet Detective movies multiple times in the past month or so, HMM has a marathon of all four scheduled for tomorrow 8/17, starting at 2 pm Central Time. I assume that means something, even if we won't see a new one until next year.

• Love 4

The Ruby Herring wasn't horrible. The lead played the character a bit too detached and they tried to cram too much family and back story and events into the first movie, but it may calm down into a good series.

The cross word ones are fun. I would like to see another gourmet detective, all but one of the movies were good. Picture wasn't horrible, and hopefully it gets more personal when the lead isn't pregnant. 

Morning show isn't worth watching

5 minutes ago, Happywatcher said:

Morning show isn't worth watching

Is that the one with Holly Robinson Peete? I like here, but dang, Rick Fox is AWFUL. I mean, he's nice to look at, but she has more chemistry with an office chair than with him. He is just dead in that role. I haven't hated the movies... just regretted his casting.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Is that the one with Holly Robinson Peete? I like here, but dang, Rick Fox is AWFUL. I mean, he's nice to look at, but she has more chemistry with an office chair than with him. He is just dead in that role. I haven't hated the movies... just regretted his casting.

He is terrible. Holly is a well loved actress, who is wasted here. The mystery plots are choppy and in one her supporting actress had more emotional range.

• Love 1

I don’t mind the Morning Show Mysteries, but I’m easy to please since there isn’t much else to watch.  I agree that Rick Fox is very wooden... though I like the family stuff and we just started watching Schitt’s Creek and the actress  that plays her Aunt is on that too... I like those little connections. 

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 3

Yay!  I know what I will be doing every Sunday night!  I missed Mystery 101 movie #2.   When did it air?  And...I haven't watched the Crossword mysteries.  Are they any good?  So glad there will be another Gourmet Detective!  I love them, and I believe author Peter King wrote about 12 books in the series so keep them coming, Hallmark.

• Love 4

So I may not be a fan of CCB as a person, but I do feel like she inhabits the Aurora character well.  I am looking forward to tomorrow's premiere embarrassingly much!  As I've mentioned before, I will plan my gym workout to be sure I'm home in time, and will grab a smoothie (shout out to Tropical Smoothie Cafe!) and maybe a sandwich on the way home, to enjoy as I watch my sort-of guilty pleasure!

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, susannot said:

I missed Mystery 101 movie #2.   When did it air?  

Earlier this year, I believe.

56 minutes ago, susannot said:

Yay!  I know what I will be doing every Sunday night!  I missed Mystery 101 movie #2.   When did it air?  And...I haven't watched the Crossword mysteries.  Are they any good? 

I put off watching, because I just wasn't excited about the casting or the premise. Finally caught the first one last weekend and loved it! The casting worked.

57 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

So I may not be a fan of CCB as a person, but I do feel like she inhabits the Aurora character well.

That's how I feel as well! I've been ridiculously excited all month for these movies.

• Love 3

The 2nd Mystery 101 started with a robbery and the female police detective getting hurt when the robbery was on her Jogging route and then also involved a famous actress returning to town to star in a play that our lead was helping with since it was a murder mystery play. 

It was a good movie, though kind of convoluted with the murder and red herrings.... but I was glad it wasn't 100 percent formula and easy to pick out the killer from the start...

• Love 3
10 hours ago, susannot said:

I missed Mystery 101 movie #2.   When did it air?  And...I haven't watched the Crossword mysteries.  Are they any good? 

The second Mystery 101 movie aired at the end of June. It airs Sunday morning.  It's by far my favorite mystery series currently airing. 

I personally liked the Crossword mystery movies.  Not everyone liked them as much as I did but I think they're worth checking out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I personally liked the Crossword mystery movies.  Not everyone liked them as much as I did but I think they're worth checking out.

I thought the mystery was OK, but dislike Lacey Chabert & her little girl voice,

• Love 4
11 hours ago, roctavia said:

The 2nd Mystery 101 started with a robbery and the female police detective getting hurt when the robbery was on her Jogging route and then also involved a famous actress returning to town to star in a play that our lead was helping with since it was a murder mystery play. 

It was a good movie, though kind of convoluted with the murder and red herrings.... but I was glad it wasn't 100 percent formula and easy to pick out the killer from the start...

Oh yes!! I did see that one.  I like the female lead.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, Jaded said:
  Hide contents

I usually enjoy the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries. They are what they are. This one the "an inheritance to die for"  was all over the place. Maybe not all over the place just a dumb plot. Didnt enjoy it. And yeah the assistant just gone? Huh?  

I was also disappointed that the party at the beginning wasn't the main plot,  love stuff like that.

Why is CCB wearing an ugly wig in every movie?

I'm excited about the Gourmet Detective series coming back. I thought it was done.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Why is CCB wearing an ugly wig in every movie?

I'm excited about the Gourmet Detective series coming back. I thought it was done.

Candace posted about it. They have her turning back and forth on the mysteries and the Christmas movies so fast it was damaging her hair going from red to blonde and back.

She didn't say this part, but I suspect with Lori having her legal issues and Jen (and two of the new actresses in the stable) being on maternity time off...

I also enjoyed the Gourmet series. One was off when they had Brooke overplay being bitchy, and some of her character's police non skills were slightly jarring, but overall they are fun and show chemistry. And the murder plots flowed well.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, TVFan17 said:

I posted most of this info over in the main Hallmark Channel thread when there was only one thread, but now that the mysteries have their own dedicated thread (yay!), I will re-post it here in case people didn't have the time to wade through the other thread's non-mystery posts!

Premiering This Year (2019)

(1) These are the mysteries that are supposed to premiere between now and October 20th of this year -- however, I say "supposed to premiere" because Hallmark has already made some changes to the September schedule, so who knows what will happen with October's schedule?:

***In order of premiere date -- although I am not listing the premiere dates because they might change, and I won't be able to edit this post with the updated dates after a week or two***

(August 2019)

Aurora Teagarden Mysteries: A Very Foul Play (this is movie #12 in the series)

Crossword Mysteries & Friends Preview Special (airing on 8/18, after the Aurora premiere)

Chronicle Mysteries: The Deep End (movie #4 in the series)

(September 2019)

Witness to Murder: A Darrow Mystery (movie #4 in the Darrow & Darrow series)

Mystery 101: Words Can Kill (movie #3 in the series)

Mystery 101: Dead Talk (movie #4 in the series)

Ruby Herring Mysteries:  Her Last Breath (movie #2 in the series)

(October 2019)

MatchMaker Mysteries (movie #1 in the series)

Crossword Mysteries: Proposing Murder (movie #2 in the series -- title could change)

Crossword Mysteries: Abracadaver (movie #3 in the series -- title could change)

Premiering in 2020 and Beyond

(2) Based on what was announced at, around or soon after Hallmark's recent Summer TCA media event, and also what has recently been revealed by actors/writers involved in the assorted mystery series, this appears to be what we can expect, mystery-wise, next year:

***In no specific order***

More Morning Show Mysteries (not sure how many more, but at least one new movie -- #6 in the series)

More Aurora Teagarden Mysteries (not sure how many more, but at least movie #13 in the series, and probably more than that)

More Hailey Dean Mysteries (not sure how many more, but at least movie #10 in the series)

More MatchMaker Mysteries ( movie #2 in the series, and probably #3 as well)

More Picture Perfect Mysteries (movies #2 and #3 in the series)

More Crossword Mysteries (starting with movie #4 in the series)

More Chronicle Mysteries (not sure how many, but at least movie #5 in the series)

More Ruby Herring Mysteries (at least movie #3 in the series, if not more)

NEW - Martha's Vineyard Mysteries a.k.a. Mysteries of Martha's Vineyard (this series starring Jesse Metcalfe is reportedly going to include at least 3 installments, but movie #1 is filming very soon)

Gourmet Detective: Roux the Day  (the 5th movie in this series is listed on the IMDB site, and has recently been hinted at by Dylan Neal -- but it is still in development, so it's unknown how long it will take to go into pre-production.   It could possibly be announced in January 2020, at the next TCA event.)

More Signed, Sealed, Delivered (while only movie #13 -- or is it #12? -- has been confirmed at this point, it has been revealed that it will premiere on the Hallmark Drama Channel and not on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel)

NEW -- The Royal Mysteries (this series starring Erin Krakow is still in development, although IMDB lists it as filming, which is not correct -- but it is likely that at least movie #1 in the series will air sometime in 2020)

NEW -- A movie based on Joy Fielding's Charley's Web (starring and Exec. Produced by Susan Lucci) has been in development since 2018, and appears to still be in development now.

NEW -- Destination Mysteries (this was NOT announced by Hallmark, but was just teased by frequent Hallmark writer Rick Garman in June -- so it must still be in development)

UNKNOWN -- So far, no plans  have been announced as far as  Mystery 101 movie #5 and beyond, but Kristoffer Polaha said that if the fans make enough noise about wanting more, Hallmark will listen.

REALLY UNKNOWN -- The Adjuster -- a movie series in the works for 2 years, to be Exec. Produced and inspired by/based on Judy Smith, seems to have fallen off the radar.

I edited the above post ^^ because the 4th Crossword Mysteries movie is not going to air in October after all (as was announced by Hallmark earlier this year).   And MatchMaker Mysteries is airing in October, instead of September.

But Hallmark certainly plays fast and loose with their announcements of schedules.  They almost never stick to a plan after they announce it.   Back in June or July, they specifically advertised that we would see 12 new mysteries over 12 consecutive weeks, from early August to October 20th.    And they had every Sunday filled with a new mystery for that time frame.

However, as soon as I saw that Hallmark moved the new Darrow & Darrow movie out of the September 1st slot (and into September 8th) and did not put another new movie into the 9/1/19 slot, I had a feeling they were going to renege on the "12 weeks of new mysteries" promise, airing 10 or 11 new ones instead.  

Hallmark has already backed out on the "new movie every Saturday night on the Hallmark Channel" promise that they made in December 2018.    They were on a real roll, delivering a new movie every Saturday (and beyond) from September 2018 all the way to early July 2019... and then it all fell apart.  lol   They inexplicably skipped two Saturdays in July -- for no reason, as they had movies they could have premiered -- and now it seems they are skipping September 7th too, even though they have an already-filmed new movie they could easily premiere in that slot.

So if they can break the "new movie EVERY Saturday night" streak, I guess I can't be surprised that they are breaking the "12 new mysteries between August and October" streak either.

Oh, and also... Dylan Neal continues to drop hints about the next Gourmet Detective.  He says in the post linked below: "GD3 is on again tonight if you’re itching for a mystery night curled up in front of the TV. They’ve been airing a lot #GourmetDetective movies lately on @hallmarkmovie, almost like they’re preparing you for something..." 🤔  -- https://www.instagram.com/p/B1R31v-Jeye/

Edited by TVFan17
The mystery of Crossword #4 was solved, and I edited the above post to clarify details
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, susannot said:

Oh yes!! I did see that one.  I like the female lead.

I made the same remark when I watched the Mystery 101 for the first time, which is not something I generally say about the female lead in the mysteries.  So now I'm trying to figure out what it is about her.  When I described her to my husband, I said she seemed like the kind of woman that other women would want to be friends with and that men would want to date.  To me, her character seemed confident but not cocky, feminine but not girly, comfortable in her own skin but not hippy-dippy, intelligent but not a nerdy brainiac, and professional but not rigid.

3 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

Candace posted about it. They have her turning back and forth on the mysteries and the Christmas movies so fast it was damaging her hair going from red to blonde and back.

I cannot quite grasp why Hallmark would care if her hair color was blonde, red, or brown.  Do they think we are so stupid that we won't recognize that it's the same actress if her hair isn't red?  Or that we will boycott because her hair isn't the same color it was after a previous episode, even though in real life women change their hair color all the time?  It would be so easy to add a line in the movie, where another character remarks on her different hair color, and she says something like, "It was time for a change."  Problem solved!  Then CCB could keep her hair whatever color she wanted, and the viewers wouldn't be subjected to idiotic wigs!  Actually, her wigs haven't bothered me that much compared to the monstrosities they put on Lauren Holly's head in the Hailey Dean mysteries.

• Love 4

Overall I enjoyed the new Aurora Teagarden.  But as usual, some things strain credulity, and a few things I was unclear on:

• No one was worried that Lillian (the co-worker librarian) was going to an unknown city to meet an unknown guy from the Internet?  If she had been my co-worker, I would have very strongly urged against it, or at least made her give me some specifics in case something went wrong.
  • So since we know that Andrew (Internet date) wasn't a killer, but was a just a criminal, then does that mean that his reason for getting up from the dinner theater table when he did, and then lying to the police about it, really was that he was overwhelmed by Lillian's wonderfulness and had to leave the table because it made him light-headed, and was too embarrassed to have the police find that out?
  • The Lynn character (police chief) would never have waved at her husband from the stage.
  • I really don't think Philip would have been stupid enough to leave the hotel just because that guy texted him to, and I think he would have kept the note with him rather than leave it behind in the hotel room.
  • Why did Ro keep standing there at the end when she knew that Linda (I think that was her name) would try to kill her with the candle stick?  And when she finally did run, why on earth did she climb up that ladder, which would go to somewhere she couldn't maneuver in, wouldn't have anywhere to escape to, and risked danger?
  • I'm not sure I understood the ending correctly -- did Linda kill the actress (forgot her name) just because she was getting was tired of the actress bugging her to sell, and then she killed the developer because he kept wanting her to sell?  Or was it also because the potential publicity could help save her theater?
  • I will give props to Ro and Nick...their kisses together look like what a real couple would do.
  • Love 2

I think they have one hair (wig) stylist, who only knows one style. And one costumer who shops at the same store for all the male actors.

Just now, LuvMyShows said:

And when she finally did run, why on earth did she climb up that ladder, which would go to somewhere she couldn't maneuver in, wouldn't have anywhere to escape to, and risked danger?

Doesn't Aurora have to climb up on something at least once every episode to save herself from being killed?

• Love 1

I noticed a poor editing job on the Mystery preview special.  Lacey introduced Matchmaker Mysteries as ‘our last movie of the evening’ but they went on to preview a new Darrow and Darrow and a new Chronicle Mysteries, neither of which they mentioned in their intro.  It was also interesting that they listed Darrow and Darrow as being simulcast on September 8th on both Hallmark and HMM while all the others are just premiering on HMM.  Darrow and Darrow is one of their lower rated mystery movie series so surprised they chose that one to simulcast.

Edited by mikeb
  • Love 1