Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Casting Rumors and Speculation

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Kail said:

That, to me, is unforgivable and I don't think he should profit from that. I suspect this is also why Tom objects.

I think it's much ado about nothing, but then again, I understand everybody feels differently about it.  Ray Lewis was charged of murder, so I'm sure there are those who feel the same way about him.   Apparently Tom has no problem with that.  

As I said before, anytime I didn't care for a particular contestant, I'd just FF through their routine, or sit a season or two out.  Honestly, the show has about run its course for me.  I can take it or leave it at this point.  I happened to see Bergeron's comments on the matter and it struck a nerve with me.  He's making it controversial, and I hate to see that happen.  It makes it all the more divisive to me, and it was unnecessary.  I remember the outrage when Palin's daughter was on there, and it was ridiculous.  I guess they should just go ahead and make it 'Dancing With the Stars for the Left,' and do a 'Dancing With the Stars for the Right' if people are going to get so upset with the casting.   It doesn't matter why Tom doesn't like him, he should've left his politics at the door.  He is the host.  He's supposed to remain neutral.  He doesn't speak for the entire audience. 

I liked the show better back when there wasn't so many big production numbers either.  They add too many backup dancers too soon, and that takes away from the celebrity who is trying to improve.  The show has lost a bit of it's luster for me anyway. 

Edited by ChitChat
add a thought
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Respectfully, there's no reason why the show still can't be your "feel-good, joyful show." 

Tom Bergeron doesn't want politics brought into the show, but he's the dumbass that did just that.  Bergeron bitches about it to his superiors because it's not who he wants on the show.   Are they supposed to run every potential celebrity past him so that he can pass judgment on whom he deems acceptable?   Grow up, Tom!  It wouldn't turn political if you didn't make it that way.   Tom was already snarky with him on the preview.  Your intolerance is showing, Tom. 

If people don't like a certain contestant, then they're free to not watch.  I've always fast- forwarded through the ones I didn't particularly care for, but I didn't let their appearance ruin the show for me.   There might be a fair number of the audience who either like or are neutral about Spicer.  Who is Tom to judge which celebrity the audience might like or not.  Sign 'em up, then let the chips fall where they may.  

News flash to Tom:  the U.S. is made of up differing opinions.   I deal with people everyday with differing points of views on many things.  We all get along.  I'd expect that from this kind of show too.  I seriously doubt that Spicer signed up with some kind of political agenda in mind.  Maybe he just wants the money, or to try something different.  Being an ass to him from the start isn't a good look for Tom or this show.   YMMV.

I agree with your entire post. Even if you don't like or agree with them, Trump affiliates and supporters are Americans too. A lot of them are probably also DWTS viewers and are happy to see Spicer on. 

All of the political figures who have been on the show have never brought politics with them. As long as Spicer doesn't either, I don't think his inclusion should be an issue. If one doesn't want to watch him dance, just skip ahead.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Respectfully, there's no reason why the show still can't be your "feel-good, joyful show." 

Tom Bergeron doesn't want politics brought into the show, but he's the dumbass that did just that.  Bergeron bitches about it to his superiors because it's not who he wants on the show.   Are they supposed to run every potential celebrity past him so that he can pass judgment on whom he deems acceptable?   Grow up, Tom!  It wouldn't turn political if you didn't make it that way.   Tom was already snarky with him on the preview.  Your intolerance is showing, Tom. 

If people don't like a certain contestant, then they're free to not watch.  I've always fast- forwarded through the ones I didn't particularly care for, but I didn't let their appearance ruin the show for me.   There might be a fair number of the audience who either like or are neutral about Spicer.  Who is Tom to judge which celebrity the audience might like or not.  Sign 'em up, then let the chips fall where they may.  

News flash to Tom:  the U.S. is made of up differing opinions.   I deal with people everyday with differing points of views on many things.  We all get along.  I'd expect that from this kind of show too.  I seriously doubt that Spicer signed up with some kind of political agenda in mind.  Maybe he just wants the money, or to try something different.  Being an ass to him from the start isn't a good look for Tom or this show.   YMMV.

The Powers That Be.

WELL SAID!!!!!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Kail said:

This isn't about differing political views. I don't share the same views as Bristol Palin or Rick Perry but wasn't bothered by their participation. Sean Spicer is different. He went in front of the cameras day after day to gaslight, obfuscate and straight up lie to the American people. That, to me, is unforgivable and I don't think he should profit from that. I suspect this is also why Tom objects.

I agree. It's pretty obvious which side of the political coin that TPTB are on, and no one was bothered by the many other Republicans who have been on the show. Spicer is a liar, so that is my issue with him. I didn't agree with Bristol Palin and didn't care for her, but I had no issue with her being on the show, except that she was boring. 

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 8

From what I've been reading here and there Spicer has alienated himself from both sides. So it's not "let's cast a conservative politician to dance in the middle of democratic state". It's "who can we find that 90% of people red or blue will hate.

They wanted people to talk about them... well, the got it.

this is not a political affiliation of TPTB, this is not an attempt at humanizing a politician, it's a clumsy and in your face PR move. Casting people threw a rotting  carcass in the middle of a hungry dog pack and are standing back, watching, and laughing. Counting their $$$ at every mention.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Kail said:

This isn't about differing political views. I don't share the same views as Bristol Palin or Rick Perry but wasn't bothered by their participation. Sean Spicer is different. He went in front of the cameras day after day to gaslight, obfuscate and straight up lie to the American people. That, to me, is unforgivable and I don't think he should profit from that. I suspect this is also why Tom objects.

I wasn't initially bothered by Bristol's participation, but I was eventually. Not because of Bristol herself, but for the same reasons that I was bothered by Bobby Bones...voters voting them in despite not being championship-worthy dancers (and in Bristol's case, not having a dynamic personality to make up for it). At least she didn't win, but she still prevented Brandy from making the finals and providing a formidable challenge to Jennifer Grey.

I wasn't bothered by Rick Perry's participation at all, mostly because he didn't bring politics in and didn't go very far. Same with Tom DeLay. If Spicer proceeds similarly then I won't be bothered by his presence either. 

The main issue with politicians being on the show goes back to voting. Politicians on DWTS generally do not bring political matters onto the dancefloor; however, they are practically at professional level when it comes to obtaining votes. The other issue is that DWTS has only had conservative/Republican politicians AFAIK. We haven't seen someone liberal be part of the cast, or libertarian, for that matter. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

The main issue with politicians being on the show goes back to voting. Politicians on DWTS generally do not bring political matters onto the dancefloor; however, they are practically at professional level when it comes to obtaining votes.

The other issue is that DWTS has only had conservative/Republican politicians AFAIK. We haven't seen someone liberal be part of the cast, or libertarian, for that matter. 

Throughout the show's history, I would argue that fanbases of other types of contestants (e.g. football, country music, Olympians) have had much more of a stronghold on DWTS voting than politicians.

Regarding always having Republican contestants, I think I remember reading that the show invited the Clintons and Michelle Obama in the past, but they always declined. And frankly, it seems like Republican figures tend to be more controversial and bring the buzz the show wants.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

He's been with this stupid show from the very beginning and has every right to have a voice when it comes to speaking his mind about who is cast - that's when it comes to speaking out to the audiences and speaking out to his bosses.

Until he owns the show or becomes a producer, he should stick to his hosting duties and remain neutral about his guests.  If he can't handle that, then maybe he shouldn't host a show in which people of differing opinions will be on.   I'm not saying that Tom has to like him, but to simply do his job and host the show and not make a political statement out of it.  The audience can decide for themselves whether they'll watch it or not, and who they'll FF through.

I have strong negative feelings about Ray Lewis, but if I were a paid employee of a show in which he was going to be on, I'd do my job and be cordial and leave it at that.  I expect that Tom should do the same, given the nature of his job.  I wouldn't go out and slam said person that my bosses invited onto the show.   

• Love 3

Why is Spicer even on? He isn't going to bring the ratings they need. The only thing that would have helped in that department was getting a bigger star and going back to ballroom. They definitely didn't bring anyone on worth watching, so here's hoping they dumped contemporary and jazz at least. 

Normally I'd agree that not watching because of some dumbass is silly (hell, Bones won the show and here we all are), but Spicer is just a new low, even for them.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Why is Spicer even on? He isn't going to bring the ratings they need. The only thing that would have helped in that department was getting a bigger star and going back to ballroom. They definitely didn't bring anyone on worth watching, so here's hoping they dumped contemporary and jazz at least. 

Normally I'd agree that not watching because of some dumbass is silly (hell, Bones won the show and here we all are), but Spicer is just a new low, even for them.

Previous Republicans they had on had their base to vote for them but other that Bristol Palin, didn’t go to the end.  But didn’t Spicer more or less get fired, so will he even get any votes from the right?  He won’t get votes from the left.   Unless he is really charming and can dance a bit, he has no voting base.  

• Love 2

Honestly, this show has been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years in getting "celebrities" to come on and compete.   I have come to loathe the special episodes of  "most memorable year," and other such feel-good/heartfelt moments.   It gets a little too sappy for me. 

It's like watching NFL football and having the analysts delve into someone's feelings about their life.  For the love, just play the damn game!!  In this case, just effing dance!!  Disclaimer:  I'm not a cold-hearted person, but I don't care for the tear-jerker kind of episodes.  I'll watch Barbara Walters or Oprah interview somebody if I really want to know their life story. 

• Love 2

I will not watch this season. In the past, I stopped watching while the Golden Boy was still a pro there and when he left, I returned. This season just turned my stomach when I saw the murderer was being glorified. Tom’s temper tantrum indicates to me that Spicer wont get the respect that will be given to other non-murderers. Most of that cast is to me a who’s dat? So why bother. I do hope that everyone  who watches does enjoy the show. I know a lot of us waited a long time for this show to return.

• Love 2

I don't share the same views as Bristol Palin or Rick Perry but wasn't bothered by their participation.

I was. Not Bristol Palin--other than the fact that she had no real accomplishments or fame--but definitely Rick Perry. Also Tom DeLay. They bother me a lot more than Sean Spicer, honestly, who was just a public buffoon. 

I don't think political figures should be on DwtS, as a general rule. There's a difference to me between entertainers being polarizing because of their politics and politicians who actually affect laws being polarizing.

• Love 7

Casting Spicer is a huge mistake.  And I think that's true regardless of what anyone's personal politics are--I think it's a mistake in all cases.  This is different from casting someone named Palin who was at least arguably separate from her mother's decisions and consequences.  Spicer is not related to someone controversial, he IS someone controversial who inherently will bring a firestorm to the show, either because you hate him and the things he said and did, or because you are of a mindset that the things he did and said were necessary, not his fault, or not what people say they were.  It's honestly irrelevant which of those two things is true. Nothing good can come from this.  And there was no good reason to cast him.  Fans of his ex-boss likely weren't chomping at the bit to hear from Spicer again, because he was well and truly replaced by someone filling the same niche.  And detractors of his ex-boss don't need Spicer around to toss barbs at, because if that's the inclination there are so many other places to do that besides this man. All this brings is conflict, and while admittedly TV thrives on conflict, this is not the TYPE of conflict that works with.  As for Bergeron?  I understand the "shut up and just host" point of view in talking about him, but I can't say I agree. Part of the reason he's such a popular host is that there's generally a sense that he's not only witty, but also not a fake or a poseur. Biting his tongue over this and having to see him grimacing and barely able to interact with a person he doesn't respect or want to deal with would totally be even worse than him expressing now, up front, how he feels. If Spicer actually were bringing anything necessary or positive to the show I'd say Tom should suck it up. But there's no way Spicer will.  

• Love 19

Welp, it looks like Spicer is getting a lot of love on the DWTS Facebook page. I guess he's going to be on a lot longer than people want. Well people loved that liar Tonya Harding, so I guess I'm not surprised.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kromm said:

As for Bergeron?  I understand the "shut up and just host" point of view in talking about him, but I can't say I agree. Part of the reason he's such a popular host is that there's generally a sense that he's not only witty, but also not a fake or a poseur. Biting his tongue over this and having to see him grimacing and barely able to interact with a person he doesn't respect or want to deal with would totally be even worse than him expressing now, up front, how he feels. If Spicer actually were bringing anything necessary or positive to the show I'd say Tom should suck it up. But there's no way Spicer will.  

The main demographic of this show is white, female conservatives, which, according to this article, is likely a big reason why Spicer was cast (https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/sean-spicer-dancing-with-the-stars-nielsen-ratings-trump-1203310722/). I doubt a lot of them are even aware of Tom's tweet, but I also don't think it was wise for him to potentially paint himself against a big chunk of the audience.

I'm sure we expect the PRO who will be working with Sean Spicer to suck it up and be a professional. If SHE can, then Tom certainly can too.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Does anyone else think that a surprise contestant will be announced soon and Sharna will be his partner? Haven't they done this before?

If there are surprise contestants, the rumors, according to Pure, are that it will possibly be Rob Gronkowski and his girlfriend Camille Kostek. If that is true, Daniella and Pasha likely become their partners.

53 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

The main demographic of this show is white, female conservatives, which, according to this article, is likely a big reason why Spicer was cast (https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/sean-spicer-dancing-with-the-stars-nielsen-ratings-trump-1203310722/). I doubt a lot of them are even aware of Tom's tweet, but I also don't think it was wise for him to potentially paint himself against a big chunk of the audience.

Why would they be interested in him? He isn't particularly charming, or hot.

Really, if they want a conservative hero, then why don't they go all out and get Tim Tebow? I'm not religious, but I admire him for standing up for what he believes in. He would be great for the show.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Kromm said:

If Spicer actually were bringing anything necessary or positive to the show I'd say Tom should suck it up. But there's no way Spicer will.  

I saw an interview with him in which he will be putting a spotlight on one of his charities (I can't remember which one it is though.)  If something positive comes from that, then it's a win in my book!  For some of these charities, any amount of public recognition is much appreciated. 

23 hours ago, Kromm said:

Spicer is not related to someone controversial, he IS someone controversial who inherently will bring a firestorm to the show,

There have been contestants on this show whom I found controversial.  Tonya Harding, just to name one.  Why celebrate her?   I'm not on board with having Ray Lewis either, but this show simply cannot kowtow to every single one of us!  I've watched many a season where I fast forwarded through everybody except 3 or 4 of them.  Then I've had seasons I didn't watch at all.  I don't expect the rest of the audience to agree with me.  Might I suggest to either A) Don't watch; or B) FF through the ones you don't like?  I understand why people don't like him, but I just don't understand getting so upset over it.  It's just a TV show.  

• Love 4

Whitney and Kel could work. 

Poor Cheryl.

My first choice for Spicer would of course be Jenna, if only because there's no one else on the woman pro side I dislike enough to sacrifice. Maybe Peta?

I'm still not sure what the point is of the two new pros if there's not enough celebrities cast for all the pros they have. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

So no Gronkowski and his girlfriend, I guess. It looks like we are really stuck with this pack of losers 😞

Hey now don't make Dawson James Van der Beek cry

tenor.gif

Edited by shoregirl
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Others have said most of what I would say about Spicer very well already.  In response to the idea that Tom should shut up and do his job, others have spoken much of my mind too.  I would add only that Tom's comments, delivered fairly respectfully, seem to me to serve exactly the same purpose as Spicer's casting in the first place: making a stir.

I find Tom pretty authentic and am not suggesting that I think he was put up to it or anything like that.  I simply agree with those who believe that a primary reason for casting Spicer was to drum up publicity for a flagging show, and Tom's comments will have increased the reach and magnitude of the story.  I doubt the producers are upset.

• Love 4

Tom Bergeron is the consummate professional.  Perhaps in light of his hosting duties, he felt he had to make his opinion clear so that when we see him DOING HIS JOB, we will know that he is demonstrating his professionalism, not supporting Spicer.  Personally, I'm waiting for Tom or Erin to tell Ray Lewis he killed his routine, but maybe that's just too much to hope for?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, magpye29 said:

Tom Bergeron is the consummate professional.  Perhaps in light of his hosting duties, he felt he had to make his opinion clear so that when we see him DOING HIS JOB, we will know that he is demonstrating his professionalism, not supporting Spicer.  Personally, I'm waiting for Tom or Erin to tell Ray Lewis he killed his routine, but maybe that's just too much to hope for?

"Killed it" is one of Erin's favorite expressions so it could happen! 🤣

• Love 2