Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Casting Rumors and Speculation

• Start Topic

and i'm out.

the only person I know (more like know of) in the cast is an AI alum. and even then, I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a lineup.

and no Artem. and "wrong" Pasha.

my Netflix/Hulu/Prime list is way too long for me to waste 2-3 hrs of my time on this cast.

• Love 8

I'm more disappointed in the pro lineup than the less-than-inspiring cast. I don't understand their obsession with Gleb and why he would be kept over Artem. I can't stand Peta and don't know why they'd give her and her husband (because you know Maks will be showing up all over her partnership, riding her coat tails to some publicity for himself to try to stay relevant) a spotlight over Sharna, the reigning champ. I know Sharna's not well liked around here, but I would've rather seen her than Peta, Jenna or even Witney. Why not bring back a couple of old pros? I'm sure among Karina, Tony, Edyta, Anna, Louis, etc. they could have found one or two willing to return for a season. Thank God for Cheryl. I hate to say it but I'd rather see Maks out there with a partner than pretty much any of the other male pros. The male pro lineup is so weak and that's the best they could do --- get rid of Artem? And I guess we're now stuck with Jenna because she's married to Val? Weren't they dumping her just a few seasons ago? Just a complete let down.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Obviously if Daniella or Pasha get someone right off the bat then that throws all of this into chaos. I'd say if that happens then possibly Witney and Gleb/Alan might be in line to take a step down to "featured dancer" or whatever the heck they are calling the non-cast, non-troupe dancers that they keep around this season...

Hmmm, I wonder if Pasha & Daniella are there to demo each dance, in a “show em how it should look” sort of way.

As the ones most recently on the competitive circuit it would make sense and align to some of the “return to ballroom” rumors that have been thrown around.

• Love 3

Toonces,

Gleb must surely be having an affair with one of the producers. I just can't understand why he is still around. And he is still there over Artem?

And why the hell is Ray Lewis on there? Could they not find another football player who wasn't accused of murder? Lord have mercy. When Sean Spicer isn't even the worst person on the cast, that's pretty bad.

Worst. Season. Ever.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, doLLish said:

Cast is underwhelming. I really wanted Katelyn Ohashi! Sean Spicer? How desperate are TPTB?

Rooting for Karamo and Ally Brooke, I guess. Excited to see the new pros, too. Also glad that there’s no Sharna. 

Whats this about the troupe being gone? So who’s gonna perform the in-between stuff?

What TPTB?

I have to hand it to ABC. Either Ray Lewis or Sean Spicer on their own would have been enough for me to say “no thanks” to Season 28 but they gave us both! And added in Lamar Odom to boot! Hard pass. 

Where are they big stars they promised that were supposed to be unlike past seasons?  Let look at what we got:

Retired NFL player/current sportscaster (Ray Lewis) - Emmett Smith, Michael Irvin, Doug Flutie, Calvin Johnson, Kurt Warner all say hello

Bachelor/Bachelorette contestant(Hannah B) - Trista, Grocery Store Joe, Chris Soules, Melissa Rycroft, Sean Lowe and Nick Viall have danced for us before

Grown up Teen TV Star( James Vanderbeek ) - Elizabeth Berkeley, Candace Cameron, Joey Lawrence, Mario Lopez, Ian Ziering, Melissa Joan Hart, Jennie Garth, Frankie Muniz, Nancy McKeon, Danica McKellar

Older music legend (Mary Wilson) - Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, Gladys Knight

Former supermodel(Christie Brinkley) - Kathy Ireland, Rachel Hunter, Paulina Porizkova

Troubled basketball player (Lamar Odom) - Metta World Peace (not to mention all the Kardashian connections)

American Idol runners up and /or borderline successful country singers(Lauren Alaina) - Kellie Pickler, Jana Kramer, Chuck Wicks

Girl group member (Ally Brooke) - Mel B, Sabrina Bryan, Normani, Nicole Scherzinger 

Other reality show personality (Karamo) - Carson Kressly, Barbara Corcoran, Robert Herjavec

Sitcom actor (Kate Flannery) - Drew Carey, John Ratzenburger, Kirstie Alley, Valerie Harper

Nickelodeon or Disney Channel star (Kel Mitchell) - Zendaya, Kyle Massey

Controversial person chosen for controversy factor (Sean Spicer) - Bristol Palin, Kate Gosselin, Tonya Harding

So basically these kinds of contestants have all been chosen before. And I get that DWTS is always going to have the same types of contestants but they tried to pretend that this season would have “big names” and be slightly different from their usual formula but it is basically exactly the same as always. Yawn.

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

And I get that DWTS is always going to have the same types of contestants but they tried to pretend that this season would have “big names” and be slightly different from their usual formula but it is basically exactly the same as always. Yawn.

I agree completely.  I thought they were going to get "big name" contestants this season!  There are several I really like - James Van Der Beek, Mary Wilson, Christie Brinkley - but this is not shaping up to be the season that was promised by ABC teaser quotes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Toonces,

Gleb must surely be having an affair with one of the producers. I just can't understand why he is still around. And he is still there over Artem?

And why the hell is Ray Lewis on there? Could they not find another football player who wasn't accused of murder? Lord have mercy. When Sean Spicer isn't even the worst person on the cast, that's pretty bad.

Worst. Season. Ever.

LOL. Every season is the worst ever.  Every cast is the worst ever.  It's impossible to have every person in the cast that will appeal to every viewer.

DWTS is not going to attract a cast of A-listers.  It is way too time consuming and there is no money in it.

Edited by tealeaves
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

No one said they needed to get A-listers. They could just get a cast free of criminals or liars or racists. Is that too much to ask?

And not pretend that they were taking a different approach to casting this season than they have in the past. They hyped it all up just to give us more of the same. The only difference I can see for this season is that their usual football player contestant may also be a murderer or an accessory to murder. So that’s new and exciting I guess. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

Sigh....I wish people could watch the show, enjoy the dancing and the "stars" progress, and vote for the best dancer, rather than worrying about if they are an athlete, a Bachelorette, etc.  I may skip the season simply because I do not feel like listening to all the bullshit that will go around. (I am not talking about on this forum)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, pally said:

Tom Bergeron isn't happy with Spicer being cast.  This was his statement this morning

image.thumb.png.b2acc1391cb2012481badc5b9d6071c5.png

Tom is a national treasure. Through whatever other changes I may not like, I will stick with the show as long as he’s host.

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

What TPTB?

25 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

The Powers That Be

Thank you! Lol

• Love 13
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I have to hand it to ABC. Either Ray Lewis or Sean Spicer on their own would have been enough for me to say “no thanks” to Season 28 but they gave us both! And added in Lamar Odom to boot! Hard pass. 

Where are they big stars they promised that were supposed to be unlike past seasons?  Let look at what we got:

Retired NFL player/current sportscaster (Ray Lewis) - Emmett Smith, Michael Irvin, Doug Flutie, Calvin Johnson, Kurt Warner all say hello

Bachelor/Bachelorette contestant(Hannah B) - Trista, Grocery Store Joe, Chris Soules, Melissa Rycroft, Sean Lowe and Nick Viall have danced for us before

Grown up Teen TV Star( James Vanderbeek ) - Elizabeth Berkeley, Candace Cameron, Joey Lawrence, Mario Lopez, Ian Ziering, Melissa Joan Hart, Jennie Garth, Frankie Muniz, Nancy McKeon, Danica McKellar

Older music legend (Mary Wilson) - Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, Gladys Knight

Former supermodel(Christie Brinkley) - Kathy Ireland, Rachel Hunter, Paulina Porizkova

Troubled basketball player (Lamar Odom) - Metta World Peace (not to mention all the Kardashian connections)

American Idol runners up and /or borderline successful country singers(Lauren Alaina) - Kellie Pickler, Jana Kramer, Chuck Wicks

Girl group member (Ally Brooke) - Mel B, Sabrina Bryan, Normani, Nicole Scherzinger 

Other reality show personality (Karamo) - Carson Kressly, Barbara Corcoran, Robert Herjavec

Sitcom actor (Kate Flannery) - Drew Carey, John Ratzenburger, Kirstie Alley, Valerie Harper

Nickelodeon or Disney Channel star (Kel Mitchell) - Zendaya, Kyle Massey

Controversial person chosen for controversy factor (Sean Spicer) - Bristol Palin, Kate Gosselin, Tonya Harding

So basically these kinds of contestants have all been chosen before. And I get that DWTS is always going to have the same types of contestants but they tried to pretend that this season would have “big names” and be slightly different from their usual formula but it is basically exactly the same as always. Yawn.

All that's missing is the soap star from GH.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

No one said they needed to get A-listers. They could just get a cast free of criminals or liars or racists. Is that too much to ask?

And viewers will still complain it's the worse season ever, with the worst cast.  If you allow contestants you don't like from watching the show, you are giving them the power.

Edited by tealeaves
  • Love 4

Well I got to hand it to them people are talking about this season. Probably not for the reasons they hoped but really the dont care as long as people are  talking about them. 🤷

Having Sean Spicer on is a gross grab at controversy. He's not a star. Please , please have Melissa McCarthy guest judge .

I will probably watch I like Kamaro , James VanderBeek , Kate Flannery as well as several others

• Love 6
3 hours ago, doLLish said:

Cast is underwhelming. I really wanted Katelyn Ohashi! Sean Spicer? How desperate are TPTB?

Rooting for Karamo and Ally Brooke, I guess. Excited to see the new pros, too. Also glad that there’s no Sharna. 

Whats this about the troupe being gone? So who’s gonna perform the in-between stuff?

Im worried about Ally. I want to root for her but she is byfar the worse dancer from 5th harmony. Dwts already had their best dancer from the group and that was Normani, so I guess its only fair now to have the worse. I hope she does well tho and grow as a dancer.

• Love 2

I like James Van Der Beek.  I thought he was very funny as a hyper-egotistical version of himself in Don't Trust the B* in Apartment 23 and, of course, he was the immortal Mox in Varsity Blues.  Sean Spicer? Was Sarah Huckabee Sanders not available? Spicer should dance to nothing but songs with lie, lies or liar in the title i.e.: Little Lies, Lyin Eyes, Miserable Lie, Every Time You Lie, etc.  As for the rest of the cast, it's the usual mixed bag but hopefully there will not be repeat of the Billy Bones debacle when all is said and done. That would do it for me.

Edited by cali1981
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

If they wanted someone "controversial" then they could have tried to get someone like Megan Rapinoe or Colin Kaepernick. I thought for sure someone from the women's world cup team would be on. If not Rapinoe, then Alex Morgan. Maybe they didn't want to be on, and I sure wouldn't blame them.

• Love 10
Just now, boyznkatz said:

If they wanted someone "controversial" then they could have tried to get someone like Megan Rapinoe or Colin Kaepernick. I thought for sure someone from the women's world cup team would be on. If not Rapinoe, then Alex Morgan. Maybe they didn't want to be on, and I sure wouldn't blame them.

They never get anyone controversial who tried to stand for right, its always someone who is standing for wrong. They like to push them on the show for redemption and were all suppose to have a change of heart for them because they r showing a different side, rolleyes. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Toonces,

Worst. Season. Ever.

Not a fan of Gleb either.  I'm still pissed they let Tristan go.  As soon as I saw Ray Lewis and Sean Spicer's names, I knew people would be complaining.   But, being from Baltimore, new Ravens fans here would be excited.  And they are.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, funandfitpt said:

James VanDerBeek did a TV show called Don't Trust the B** in Apt 23 and was hilarious as himself. One of his story lines was he was a contestant on DWTS. I'm cheering for him and Christie Brinkley. 

If only Dean Cain was on this season as well!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, tealeaves said:

And viewers will still complain it's the worse season ever, with the worst cast.  If you allow contestants you don't like from watching the show, you are giving them the power.

The only way we'll get better contestants is to not watch the show when they have a bad cast.  And I, for one, have no desire to punish myself by watching a show filled with a cast I dislike just to avoid "giving them the power"  The power belongs to the people with the on/off button.

• Love 9

Definitely with those here who aren't happy about Spicer being here. And I don't follow sports, but based off what people are saying about Lewis, I'll agree with the criticisms there, too (surely there were other athletes they could've picked that didn't have that kind of controversy swirling around them?). 

The rest of the contestants I've no issue with, though. 

• Love 7

James Van Der Beek is the only one who I have any interest in watching this season.

Christie Brinkley and Mary Wilson are legends, but I'm 99% sure they are going to bomb. I still remember Christie Brinkley's pathetic attempts at bopping around in the Uptown Girl video so unless she's miraculously learned to dance since then, she's going to be out quickly.

Mary Wilson was coordinated enough to wave her arms around during her time with the Supremes, but she's also 75 so the odds are that she's the sweet older contestant who sticks around two weeks longer than her dancing skills say she should.

The less said about Spicy and Ray Lewis, the better. I feel bad that Tom and Erin will have to interact with them every week.

I'll be watching Dawson's performances on YouTube each week and skipping the rest of this trainwreck.

ETA: I just remembered that Christie Brinkley has been in Chicago (the touring cast and the Broadway show) so maybe she can dance now?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

A quick minute with a calculator tells me that the average age of this cast is 43.25.  Maybe I've forgotten a season or two here and there, but is this not the oldest cast ever on DWTS? I don't intend this as an ageist comment, but I tune into this show to see good dancing. The three oldest cast members, all women, are 55, 65, and 75 years old.  They're probably not going to be able to dance well.  Previous seasons have also included pro athletes who were still competing professionally, and able to learn to dance well. These two 39 and 44 year old athletes are definitely not that. And, as much as many people complain about it, I prefer a season with at least a couple of mildly ringer-y contestants, those with some dance or rythmic movement experience...pop stars, gymnasts, ice skaters, Disney stars, etc...because I enjoy seeing *good* dancing.  It looks like there's not a contestant in sight who could remotely qualify for the description "can already dance somewhat". 

When they told us the show was going to be re-tooled, I didn't expect them to mean even  more tired and boring. I'll probably watch some of it, mostly for Tom B, but this is verrry disappointing.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The less said about Spicy and Ray Lewis, the better. I feel bad that Tom and Erin will have to interact with them every week.

Ray Lewis was an NFL player. That's all Erin needs to fawn all over him.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, nickp1991 said:

ABC should really have Melissa McCarthy on as a guest judge one night

ABC should have just cast Melissa McCarthy impersonating Sean Spicer. Now that would have been fun.

• Love 10
(edited)

If you'd like to take a detour to Tin Foil Hat Land, one of the writer's over at PURE has an interesting theory on Rob Gronkowski's (and by extension, Camille Kostek's) participation/non-participation on the show this season.

Being the football fan that I am, a lot of what they theorize could possibly be true, and if it would play out that way would immediately make the cast a lot more interesting...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Meh. I don’t know many of these folks and there are a few names I unfortunately recognize but don’t want to see. I am quite tired of the Bachelor/‘ettes that keep showing up and I despise anything Kardashian adjacent being on the show. I don’t give two shakes about Spicer but I hate the inevitable political crap that will be dragged along with his inclusion. I don’t want to feel the need to tune out or quit reading boards or social media due to people becoming angry about someone they disagree with politically. I just want my cotton candy fluff of a show with its spray tans, glitter and mirror ball. I watch stuff like this to be entertained and take my mind off some of my life stresses.There’s no one I would particularly be rooting for out of this group and my kiddo that usually watches with me has a jammed full schedule this semester and probably won’t have the time. The only season I haven’t watched was the shortened one. I even made it through the kids version. But, sadly, I think it’s time for me to waltz away from this show. 

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

If you'd like to take a detour to Tin Foil Hat Land, one of the writer's over at PURE has an interesting theory on Rob Gronkowski's (and by extension, Camille Kostek's) participation/non-participation on the show this season.

Being the football fan that I am, a lot of what they theorize could possibly be true, and if it would play out that way would immediately make the cast a lot more interesting...

Interesting read. I'm not a big fan of Gronkowski, but at least he's a legitimate star and would be interesting on the show. That would be a first to get two football players, but the fans love football players, so it's not totally surprising.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Interesting read. I'm not a big fan of Gronkowski, but at least he's a legitimate star and would be interesting on the show. That would be a first to get two football players, but the fans love football players, so it's not totally surprising.

They did have Antonio Brown, Von Miller, and Doug Flutie in S22, so not without precedent. I hope the theory's correct; a surprise twist would be welcome. (Though I'm enjoying the Van der Beek meta.)

• Love 1

I'm wondering who Sean Spicer's target demo is?  Didn't he leave the White House under kind of a cloud which might have alienated Trump's base.  And the Dems don't like him.  Here's to hoping he's gone first.

• Love 3

I can't recall Tom being this outspoken about the casting decisions made by the Big Poobahs.  Maybe he's just running out tolerance for the political and "criminal" selections that have gone way beyond the normal amount of stunt casting that the show has lived on since the beginning.  I guess I'll give the first week or two a spin but if Spicer stays alive and Tom and Erin are forced to fawn over this professional liar, I may be out until he (and some others) are gone. That and not having a troupe this season and, apparently, unceremoniously dumping Sharna (maybe the show runner's response to her winning with Bobby Bones last season and the outrage over that but tarring her with that brush?) make this season not a must see.   I can always watch the dance routines on YouTube.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

They did have Antonio Brown, Von Miller, and Doug Flutie in S22, so not without precedent. I hope the theory's correct; a surprise twist would be welcome. (Though I'm enjoying the Van der Beek meta.)

You're right. I forgot about that. I'm on the fence about even bothering with this season, but I would tune in if Gronkowski and his girlfriend are on. I'm not really fans of either ones, but yes, the twist would be interesting.

• Love 2
On 8/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, Kail said:

I'm furious that they cast Sean Spicer. DWTS is my feel-good, joyful show.

Respectfully, there's no reason why the show still can't be your "feel-good, joyful show." 

Tom Bergeron doesn't want politics brought into the show, but he's the dumbass that did just that.  Bergeron bitches about it to his superiors because it's not who he wants on the show.   Are they supposed to run every potential celebrity past him so that he can pass judgment on whom he deems acceptable?   Grow up, Tom!  It wouldn't turn political if you didn't make it that way.   Tom was already snarky with him on the preview.  Your intolerance is showing, Tom. 

If people don't like a certain contestant, then they're free to not watch.  I've always fast- forwarded through the ones I didn't particularly care for, but I didn't let their appearance ruin the show for me.   There might be a fair number of the audience who either like or are neutral about Spicer.  Who is Tom to judge which celebrity the audience might like or not.  Sign 'em up, then let the chips fall where they may.  

News flash to Tom:  the U.S. is made of up differing opinions.   I deal with people everyday with differing points of views on many things.  We all get along.  I'd expect that from this kind of show too.  I seriously doubt that Spicer signed up with some kind of political agenda in mind.  Maybe he just wants the money, or to try something different.  Being an ass to him from the start isn't a good look for Tom or this show.   YMMV.

9 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oops. I just realized that I made a mistake and meant to say What's TPTB? instead.

The Powers That Be.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Respectfully, there's no reason why the show still can't be your "feel-good, joyful show." 

Tom Bergeron doesn't want politics brought into the show, but he's the dumbass that did just that.  Bergeron bitches about it to his superiors because it's not who he wants on the show.   Are they supposed to run every potential celebrity past him so that he can pass judgment on whom he deems acceptable?   Grow up, Tom!  It wouldn't turn political if you didn't make it that way.   Tom was already snarky with him on the preview.  Your intolerance is showing, Tom. 

If people don't like a certain contestant, then they're free to not watch.  I've always fast- forwarded through the ones I didn't particularly care for, but I didn't let their appearance ruin the show for me.   There might be a fair number of the audience who either like or are neutral about Spicer.  Who is Tom to judge which celebrity the audience might like or not.  Sign 'em up, then let the chips fall where they may.  

News flash to Tom:  the U.S. is made of up differing opinions.   I deal with people everyday with differing points of views on many things.  We all get along.  I'd expect that from this kind of show too.  I seriously doubt that Spicer signed up with some kind of political agenda in mind.  Maybe he just wants the money, or to try something different.  Being an ass to him from the start isn't a good look for Tom or this show.   YMMV.

The Powers That Be.

Thank you again.

• Love 1