Type keyword(s) to search

Show Recommendations Topic: Ask Or Give

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 7:31 AM, Haleth said:

I came across a lovely Spanish drama on Prime called The Vineyard (La Templanza is the Spanish title).  I'm only on episode 7 but am enjoying it quite a lot, it's filling my need for an epic drama like Outlander or Bridgerton.  It's lush, romantic, gorgeously filmed and the moment the lead characters meet is electric.  (It should be watched with subtitles, the dubbing is terrible, the true voices of the actors gives it so much more emotion.)  Here is the trailer (you don't need to understand Spanish to get the gist):

I liked it too, and it’s definitely better with subtitles and the original language. I’ve been doing Duolingo, and I was that Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme while watching. “Hey I understood that phrase!!”  

During the beginning of the pandemic I also watched a French show called Bonfire of Destiny on Netflix. Neither of these shows are going to win awards, but sometimes you just want some cheesy romance escapism. BoD is the cheesier of the two. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Stuffy said:

During the beginning of the pandemic I also watched a French show called Bonfire of Destiny on Netflix. Neither of these shows are going to win awards, but sometimes you just want some cheesy romance escapism. BoD is the cheesier of th

I did watch that too!  Yeah, kind of cheesy but it was a good story. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
(edited)

In light of the Columbo discussion we were having on here earlier, I saw this today, and it cracked me up. If nothing else convinces you to try Columbo, just know that Peter Falk had to help quell unrest in Romania back in the 70s when they got so pissed about the lack of Columbo they were experiencing that he had to reassure them there would be another season. Like, the Romanian government even asked him for help with the situation, explaining to him that “Columbo is Romania’s Elvis Presley." 

https://www.avclub.com/romania-asked-peter-falk-to-help-prevent-an-uprising-af-1847093587

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Okay now I have to pay HBO MAX a compliment because they now have Cold Case on its site!

I can rewatch and enjoy unedited episodes with the original music. Good thing I watch lots of other shows so this is like icing on the cake for me!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9
On 6/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, Peace 47 said:

Looking for a streaming show or miniseries recommendation to watch with my father while I am visiting him.  He’s older and very conservative in his tastes.  He doesn’t generally like shows with excessive swearing or sexually suggestive content, although he’ll make limited exceptions for true greatness, like “The Sopranos.”  And genre-wise, the best batting average is under the categories of dramas and documentaries (as opposed to comedies or sci-fi/ fantasy, which he tends not to love).  His most recent favorite show is “Yellowstone.”

I see that that “Startup” show on Netflix has been circling in the Top 10 for awhile: do you think that might be okay?  I know nothing about it, but it seemed crime-drama-ish and something he might like.  I also thought maybe “The Flight Attendant” on HBOMax because it stars Kaley Cuoco, and my father really loved “The Big Bang Theory” when it was on, but if there’s a lot of swearing and anything explicitly sexual (I saw the trailer and got a sense of the setup), I know he will not want to watch and get upset.  Is it too “out there” for someone like him?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

"Heartland" is on Netflix.

If you have Hulu as a streaming option and if he likes sports, you can't go wrong with "30 for 30" (documentary). So many brilliant episodes to choose from. 

• Useful 1

I can't find a forum on this show, so I think there must not be any interest in it, but I've watched "Tacoma FD" for the past three seasons, and I enjoy it. The show follows a fire company in Tacoma, Washington. It's on truTV (which used to be Court TV). I think it's one of their first scripted shows.  It's by the guys who did "Super Troopers." The humor gets raunchy, but never overly gross.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

In the last year I got tired/bored of TV shows and I didn’t have the energy to start shows that had been on for multiple seasons or start new shows where I knew the writers would probably try to drag things out as much as possible. Over Christmas I came over some Korean multifandom fanvids on Youtube, and since then I’ve basically only watched Korean dramas (I think the only exception is Peacemaker), and there is so much great content! The shows are usually only one season so they’re a quick watch, and they have interesting and fun plots. It also doesn’t hurt that the actors are very easy on the eyes. Here’s some recommendations (and gifs!):

Her Private Life: A great romantic comedy on Netflix! Deok-mi is a curator at an art museum and in her spare time she’s secretly one of the biggest fangirls of the k-pop idol Shi-an. She and the new director of the museum, Ryan, don't get along when they first meet. When the other fangirls think she’s dating Shi-an and start to harass her, Ryan offers to be her fake boyfriend (because he believes she’s gay and in a secret relationship) to get them to back off. And you can probably guess what happens next! It’s such a fun show with leads that have amazing chemistry together. They’re playful, supportive, mature and talk about things! It’s bright and colorful, and the fashion is *chef’s kiss*. And I would like a Ryan of my own, please and thank you!

tumblr_pqy00hgqy91r0wgtio4_r1_400.gifvtumblr_pq0qvwYS981r5iugro9_540.gifv  tumblr_pr68qn70UJ1u2kcwao7_r2_540.pnj 

Snowdrop: Set in 1987 leading up to the presidential election, a student at a women’s college hides a guy she thinks is a student protester from the police in her dorm, but he’s really an agent from North Korea. It starts out sweet but then the shit hits the fan and it turns into a hostage situation in the dorm. It’s problematic in so many ways but it gave me all the feels and it will stay with me for a very long time (there’s also so many great fanvids on Youtube). It’s on Disney+. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbUJloM9F3M 66bd5cae84a190f4eab27ef17585e09cc630ef63

Chief Kim/Good Manager: Chief Kim is an eccentric accountant that does the bookkeeping for criminals and he’s trying to save/skim enough money to move to Denmark when he gets a job at a huge corporation. He plans to embezzle money from them, but as he gets closer to his colleagues, he ends up fighting for the company employees’ rights instead. It’s a hilarious workplace-dramady that made me laugh my ass off, and the lead's chaotic energy was turned up to 11 and I loved every second of it! It also had some great enemies to friends/irritating brothers-bromances (one even won the award for best couple!). f71fd9aab0224bb0220f1a353691dafdf335ae3ctumblr_p0vb3m6fqd1wkanylo6_400.gifv 

Guardian: The Lonely and Great God/Goblin: Kim Shin is a military general who was betrayed and killed by his king. As both a reward for the good he had done for his country, and a punishment for all the death that he caused, God granted him immortality and made him a powerful goblin who has to see all his loved ones die through the years. The only one who can kill him is the Goblin's bride, who can see and remove the sword in his chest and end his suffering. After over 900 years of looking for the Goblin’s bride he meets a Grim Reaper and a young woman, and he might get a reason to keep living. First of all: Gong Yoo is a man I could look at all day, he is gorgeous (I wouldn't kick Lee Dong-Wook out of bed either!). The show is a mix of drama, romance and comedy, and every episode made me howl with laughter and/or cry my eyes out. And the fashion (give me all the coats!) and bromance is amazing! The great things outweigh the more.. problematic things (can you say 'age difference'?!) for me personally. b058946d88f19a41d2f14b8755ba55bc1ed0fbca3de5453042a5d9db552fa61482aa8f05f00f0e9e478a265d33995337be68684f5407c652a02d4f9d357dcfcd94615a64b4abef8265d8b508f4294eab 

Vincenzo: A Korean-Italian lawyer/consigliere for a mob family goes back to Seoul to retrieve 1,5 tons of gold that’s hidden in the basement of a building filled with some unusual tenants. Babel Group, a huge corporation, uses dirty tricks to get the ownership of the building to tear it down and build their headquarters there, so Vincenzo teams up with a lawyer in the building and the tenants (and the lawyer’s lawyer daughter) to fight the Babel Group. It’s a crime drama with some comedy mixed in, and it has some amazing chaotic energy (it sometimes reminded me a bit of Leverage with some heists/capers). f8a66463b8cf0f8f2a1fd09ab558b90d49fff663  721f7e2bb4ef5fcfcee5e8a298191031cf977eec 67f3d990f96a5ee525e003e9a382bcbacfa186ca

Edited by Silje
  • Useful 5

Abbott Elementary on ABC and Ghosts on CBS are both very funny. The main characters are nice people so if you aren't a fan of Seinfeld they are for you. Both shows have been renewed for a second season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 2/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, RealHousewife said:

I'd love recommendations for something similar to Bridgerton. It is just so visually beautiful. 

Have you watched The Gilded Age on HBO, Real?  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Abbott Elementary on ABC and Ghosts on CBS are both very funny. The main characters are nice people so if you aren't a fan of Seinfeld they are for you. Both shows have been renewed for a second season.

Those are the two new shows this year I've been watching. 

Ghosts like the office was a UK original made into usa version.  Haven't seen the UK ghosts. 

• Love 1

Considering recent events, Netflix is offering the ukrainian TV series Servant of the People, which stars their current president, back when he was still an actor. I hope this is not considered too political to mention here, it's still a TV series after all.

Only season 1 is available now, I have just finished watching it and I strongly recommend it to anyone who likes combination of comedy and political commentary and doesn't mind subtitles. I found it incredibly funny at times, but also think it made some pretty good points about politics, particularly the cycle of corruption. The only downside is that some of the jokes and some lines look quite different now, in light of recent events.

I hope seasons 2 and 3 will be available soon.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
On 3/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Haven't seen the UK ghosts. 

It's wonderful. The writers/actors of the UK original have worked together for years and they're a great ensemble. If you have Hulu (or can tolerate the weird and annoying commercial timing on the free version) check out Horrible Histories. They also made a film called Bill about Shakespeare. They have some connection to the CBS version but I'm not sure how much. Producers? Some of the changes from the UK to US are interesting (also the US husband is so much better than the UK one, I wish they could recast) as they tried to find US equivalents but not perfect matches. Fanny and Hettie (?) are pretty much both sides of the Atlantic, but other ghosts fulfill similar roles but differently, like instead of a WW2 Captain we have a Revolutionary War officer and instead of Robin the caveman we have a Native American and a Viking.

I wish the UK version had more than 6 episodes a series.

Edited by ABay
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

I enjoy both the UK and US Ghosts. I think the US one is a bit "nicer". The UK Ghosts seem a bit more biting and snarky. I agree about the husband. I prefer the US husband. I prefer the UK wife (because I LOVE Charlotte Ritchie) but the US wife is fine. I kind of love all the ghosts on both side of the Pond. 

I am glad we have both shows. Unlike most across the Pond remakes I think both versions of Ghosts are equally good. Unlike the horror show that was the US version of Coupling! YIKES! Talk about British humour that didn't translate. Though the original UK Coupling is forking brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

For those that feel like binging an incredibly funny show. Try @Midnight with Chris Hardwick. It is laugh out laugh funny.

I will say though that it got kind of crappy towards the end as Hardwick got more and more preachy.

• Like 1