Type keyword(s) to search

Show Recommendations Topic: Ask Or Give

• Start Topic

Anyone watching Bodyguard? Just started on BBC. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyguard_(2018_TV_series)

I squealed when I saw Keeley Hawes was in it. I’m about halfway through the pilot. Decent tension building; a bit light on the dialogue and the director is WAY in love with the lead actor’s face, but good.

It’s apparently doing quite well in the UK so I assume it’ll get it’s own sub forum when it airs in the US in some fashion.

• Love 1

Totally recommend Cobra Kai!  A continuation of the original Karate Kid films, it brings back Daniel (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny (William Zabka) as grown men and their old rivalry reignited after a series of events.  It is proof that old properties can be revived the right way - with respect to the original source material, organic characterization and respect to fans old and new.

It's available on Youtube Premium (aka Youtube Red) but the first two episode are free on YT.  I guarantee you will not be able to stop at just two episodes.  It runs a total of 10 episodes and season 2 will be filming later this fall. 

• Love 2

I started watching You based on the recommendation of a TV critic. It’s a gritty drama on Lifetime (Lifetime!) about a man whose love crosses boundaries. Pretty good writing and a great cast, including Shay Jackson and Penn Badgley. Badgley is nothing short of amazing. The show is towards the end of the first season, but episodes are still available On Demand. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

I started watching You based on the recommendation of a TV critic. It’s a gritty drama on Lifetime (Lifetime!) about a man whose love crosses boundaries. Pretty good writing and a great cast, including Shay Jackson and Penn Badgley. Badgley is nothing short of amazing. The show is towards the end of the first season, but episodes are still available On Demand. 

I need to catch up with this. 

Just a general recommendation: if you've been avoiding Schitt's Creek because you figured the title meant it was going to be crass and offensive: stop. It's fantastic. The first two seasons are broad comedy as the pretentious and bewildered Rose family try to get used to losing their fortune and having to relocate to rural community Schitt's Creek. In the third and fourth seasons the show gets a warmer, softer, Parks and Recreation type vibe that still delivers on the laughs. Not to mention a romance is that is possibly the sweetest and most romantic one I've seen on television in a long time - it's simply the best. I can't recommend it enough. It's on CBC and Netflix in Canada, and airs on POP in the States.

• Love 7

I'm always finished season 3 of Community and even with one character that I actively hate and one that irritates me most of the time, I'd still recommend it.  It's really clever and fun and, so far, their occasional, special, quirky episodes, which I thought I'd hate, have been really funny (except the first season Christmas episode. That wasn't one of my favorites).  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

The one I hate is

I hate that character too, but I have realized after seeing the actor in a number of other roles that it's the actor I can't stand.  I almost never feel that way about a performer, that they make anything they're in worse.

• Love 2

The Community character I didn’t like is Winger. I could never wholeheartedly recommend the show because of his stupid ass commentary at the end. 

I thought Chang was funny the first season. A little went a long way, though. 

I need a new lady show. I watch a lot less TV than I used to (because of life stuff and also because I don't have a lot of access to the TV so if I want to watch something it's usually something on my laptop and it's easier to watch a quick movie than fall down a hole binge-watching a show). So yeah, preferably this show is on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu though if it's Hulu, I need to sign up for that again.

I'm open to anything as long as there is a focus on the female characters and they're not terribly written. 

I'll take a punchy action show like Xena, Charmed, or Agent Carter. Or a wacky comedy like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Ugly Betty. Or anything else as long as it's good. But I'd prefer to stay away from serious drama if it's mired in misery. No rape and abuse, please. 

3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I'm open to anything as long as there is a focus on the female characters and they're not terribly written. 

Have you tried Call the Midwife? At least part is on Netflix. For comedy the first season of I’m Sorry is hilarious and on Netflix.

28 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I need a new lady show. I watch a lot less TV than I used to (because of life stuff and also because I don't have a lot of access to the TV so if I want to watch something it's usually something on my laptop and it's easier to watch a quick movie than fall down a hole binge-watching a show). So yeah, preferably this show is on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu though if it's Hulu, I need to sign up for that again.

I can't remember if I've seen you on the Jane The Virgin or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend boards but those two are options.  They're CW shows entering their final seasons but all previous seasons are on Netflix. 

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is on Amazon, although there's only so much I can take of Amy Sherman Palladino's writing.   I love Agatha Raisin on Acorn which stars Ugly Betty's Ashley Jensen and is just a fun cozy mystery show.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I need a new lady show.

Have you watched Glow? I haven't had time to watch the second season yet but I loved the first one and I've been told the 2nd is really good. It's on Netflix and the episodes were about 30 minutes long, so doesn't take a lot of time to binge it. 

• Love 2

@Irlandesa Jane the Virgin is really not for me. I gave it a chance (I can't remember if I made it through all of season 1 or not) but I watched enough to know it's not for me. Too many reversals between Michael and the other guy and I didn't find it progressive/feminist in the way I wanted it to be. You've probably seen me on the CEG board. It's a little messy but I'm sticking with it. 

I'm going to catch up on Maisel now that season 2 is finally out but I'm not that thrilled with that show. 

I don't think Agatha Raisin is for me. I used to love police procedurals but it's going to take something special to get me invested these days. For a while it was iZombie but that also went off the rails.

Seconding the recommendation for GLOW. If you know anything about pro wrestling, it adds a layer of meaning, but it is really good even if you don't.

I've enjoyed the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel although it definitely has some flaws.

Have you considered Dark Matter on Netflix? Several prominent female characters in that, including the leader of the crew.

• Love 2

I love Grace & Frankie on Netflix.  Each season has had at least one "well, that was just so-so" episode in terms of writing, but I always still enjoy them because, hello, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin.  I didn't love events in last season's finale and am mildly apprehensive about how they'll be handled next season (which is almost here), but it's definitely a show I'd recommend. 

I doubt the short-lived Playing House is available anywhere, but if it is, that's most definitely worth your time.  It's about a long-term friendship between two women, and quite funny. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

doubt the short-lived Playing House is available anywhere, but if it is, that's most definitely worth your time.  It's about a long-term friendship between two women, and quite funny. 

I miss this show so, so much! Several behind the scenes people are involved with I’m Sorry.

• Love 2

Oddly enough, even though they dropped the show like last year's fashion, USA Network is still streaming the entire series (26 episodes) of Playing House here.  AND, they actually list the Available Until date, which is January 1, 2021.  So, about thirteen hours of show and two years to watch it.  For me the greatest thing about this show is that all the characters are real people, not Trope-ish Stereotypes.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 4

Catastrophe isn't female focused, but one of the co-leads is a woman and there are a bunch of female characters who are all different. And it's a British show so all the women look like normal people. It's hilarious. All 3 seasons are on Amazon Prime.

4 minutes ago, Rockstar99435 said:

Catastrophe isn't female focused, but one of the co-leads is a woman and there are a bunch of female characters who are all different. And it's a British show so all the women look like normal people. It's hilarious. All 3 seasons are on Amazon Prime.

Also, the female lead and her male counterpart are the creators of the show and it was her idea.

I bought the Playing House DVDs. It's that good, in my opinion.  It's very funny without being heartless.

Orphan Black is a female-centered thriller. There's some gross stuff, because there's some crime. But it's not just a gore-fest. It's very deep and Tatiana Maslany's acting blows your mind and never gets stale, as she keeps coming up with new ways to be amazing.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I bought the Playing House DVDs.

Ooh, I didn't realize it was available on DVD.  But, damn, I can only find season one.

I miss it, but am sure glad it existed for the short time it did.  The real-life friendship between the creators/actors led to something really great.  They even managed to give one of the main characters a serious boyfriend and have that not only be something better than an annoying distraction, but a truly enjoyable storyline and character (having him played by Keegan-Michael Key definitely helped).

• Love 3

Broad City is a female-led comedy. It's the kind of thing where, whether you like it will REALLY depend on your particular sense of humor, so I can't predict if it's what you'd be looking for @aradia22, but it might be worth checking out, depending on your sensibilities.

If you're looking for a new show to binge and can get into a soap opera/telenovela scenario that features a diverse set of LGBT and straight characters, check out the Netflix Spanish-language series La Casa de las Flores (The House of Flowers). It stars Mexican TV stalwart Veronica Castro as the matriarch of a seemingly-perfect family trying to maintain the facade while secrets and lies are exposed left and right. All characters, regardless of orientation or circumstance, are shown living their lives as complex, fallible human beings. For those that are familiar with the New Zealand series Outrageous Fortune, this show reminds me of a telenovela version of that highly entertaining show. There are 13 episodes in Season 1, and Netflix has already renewed the show for Seasons 2 and 3. Here's the trailer:

• Love 2
On 1/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, aradia22 said:

I need a new lady show.

I am currently really enjoying Good Trouble, about a group of young adults dealing with their first jobs after college, independent living, friendships, romances, etc. It's a spin-off of The Fosters, but the tone is completely different. To give you an idea, I find it, in a way, more adult, more realistic/gritty and overall better than The Bold Type, which I also enjoy.

Even people on the forum who disliked Callie and/or Mariana, the two spin-off characters, on The Fosters, say they enjoy them on Good Trouble.

So far, the two sisters are clearly the leads, but there's a whole cast of people living with them in a communal living type situation, who are slowly getting fleshed out as well. And the main focus is on the girls' jobs, which is interesting, as Mariana is dealing with bro types at a tech job and Callie is trying to navigate the treacherous waters of clerking for a judge. With the latest developments at her job, it's almost becoming a bit of a legal drama too!

Anyway, the show was just renewed for a second season despite some very low ratings, so we need to bring some new people on board. Everyone come join us!  😄

• Love 1
On 11/11/2018 at 10:52 AM, Miss Dee said:

Just a general recommendation: if you've been avoiding Schitt's Creek because you figured the title meant it was going to be crass and offensive: stop. It's fantastic. The first two seasons are broad comedy as the pretentious and bewildered Rose family try to get used to losing their fortune and having to relocate to rural community Schitt's Creek. In the third and fourth seasons the show gets a warmer, softer, Parks and Recreation type vibe that still delivers on the laughs. Not to mention a romance is that is possibly the sweetest and most romantic one I've seen on television in a long time - it's simply the best. I can't recommend it enough. It's on CBC and Netflix in Canada, and airs on POP in the States.

It’s also on Netflix in the US & on Hulu in the US as a “Watch with Live TV” offering.

• Love 1

I need some advice from Mr. Robot fans.  Not long after it was available for streaming, I watched the whole first season and two or three episodes of Season 2 and found that I just didn't care anymore, so I quite watching.  It was too weird and a bit boring, although I could agree that Rami's performance was really good.  After this year's success of BoRhap and continued talk of how good Mr. Robot is, I thought I'd try it again.  However, I'm now have one episode of Season 1 left and I am, once again, finding that I don't care to go back to it.

My question is this:  Did others think that the first couple of episodes of Season 2 were a bit off, but stuck with it and found that it got better?  Or, if I wasn't into it then, will I probably not be into it now because the entire season is more of the same as the first couple of episodes?

• Love 1

Yeah I'm interested to see what people say about this. I did almost the same thing; watched season one back when it was airing and I liked it but for whatever reason I've never felt the need to continue watching the show. It's weird.

• Love 2

I don't remember thinking the episodes were off. I've watched the show in its entirety and I think S3 kind of fleshed out the show universe more and revealed the motivations of all the main characters and how Eliot is kind of caught up in the tide. There's a really great reveal towards the end of S3 that knocked me off my chair. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

My question is this:  Did others think that the first couple of episodes of Season 2 were a bit off, but stuck with it and found that it got better?  Or, if I wasn't into it then, will I probably not be into it now because the entire season is more of the same as the first couple of episodes?

I don't watch Mr. Robot.  I gave up after the second episode.  But I remember reading quite a bit about its sophomore slump from critics I follow.  I think it may have rebounded in the third season but I don't remember reading as much about it.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I've watched the whole way through. I found season 2 a bit off the rails but it got better towards the end of the season. And, season 3 was good. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 1/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, aradia22 said:

I need a new lady show.

You need to watch "Dead to Me".  That goes for everyone here.  I also really like the show "Mom".  And "Younger".

More women shows:  One Day at a Time, The New Adventures of Old Christine, The Good Fight, Gilmore Girls.

I'll take a punchy action show like Xena, Charmed, or Agent Carter. Or a wacky comedy like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Ugly Betty. Or anything else as long as it's good. But I'd prefer to stay away from serious drama if it's mired in misery. No rape and abuse, please. 

"Dead to Me" is the only one that's kind of a serious drama, so you might want to steer clear.  Although The Good Fight kind of veers towards drama?  The rest, you'll be fine.  There's no rape or abuse in either, though.  I deleted my The Handmaid's Tale recommendation because that's all there is in that one.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

More women shows:  One Day at a Time,

That reboot is a great show.  I didn't watch it until shortly after Netflix had already canceled it, so I almost didn't even bother, in case I was setting myself up for an unfinished ending, and I'm so glad I went ahead and watched.

It has three generations of great female characters (two of whom are played by Rita Moreno and Justina Machado, so it's a real treat) and explicitly confronts women's issues, including the specific experiences of Latina women.  I heartily second the recommendation.

• Love 3
(edited)

To bring up our "lady show" recommendations again, @aradia22

In the "Dead to Me" topic, I asked for recommendations.  Reason being, I went absolutely crazy with that show and binged it in 2 days.  Have not been so obsessed with a show since Broadchurch Season 1 (don't watch that if you want an easy going lady show.  Heh.)

So a few people recommended "Good Girls".  I started it and I looooooooooooooooooooove it!  However, there's some violence FYI.  It's not exactly light.  It's like light but mixed with some darkness and violence.  I really like it.  It stars 3 women, so if you're okay with the themes it fits the bill.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So a few people recommended "Good Girls".  I started it and I looooooooooooooooooooove it!  However, there's some violence FYI.  It's not exactly light.  It's like light but mixed with some darkness and violence.  I really like it.  It stars 3 women, so if you're okay with the themes it fits the bill.

It's definitely a dark comedy; though I've found it to be more dark than comedy lately.

I still miss The Americans like crazy, and I’m trying to find its replacement. 

I love political and global dramas, so shows like The Man in the High Castle and Chernobyl intrigued me initially. 

But what made me love The Americans was that it also had compelling family and relationship drama. I felt like I knew Elizabeth and Philip and the rest of the gang, mysterious though they all were. The Americans was must-see TV for me, even during its less than perfect seasons (Wheat, anyone?).

I keep starting shows then stopping. Starting shows then giving up. Even if they were well-written, well acted, and critically acclaimed, I just didn’t love them. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I love political and global dramas, so shows like The Man in the High Castle and Chernobyl intrigued me initially. 

But what made me love The Americans was that it also had compelling family and relationship drama. I felt like I knew Elizabeth and Philip and the rest of the gang, mysterious though they all were. The Americans was must-see TV for me, even during its less than perfect seasons (Wheat, anyone?).

I keep starting shows then stopping. Starting shows then giving up. Even if they were well-written, well acted, and critically acclaimed, I just didn’t love them. 

Maybe X Company? It's a Canadian series about a team of spies during WWII. Heavy on both plot/ tension and character development. Season one starts a little shaky in terms of believability, but is still highly entertaining. Season two is one of my favorite seasons of television ever; the writing and acting are both stellar. The third and final season falls off a little in terms of quality, but is still good, and has a fitting ending (they knew it was the last season ahead of time and planned accordingly). And the whole series is only 28 episodes, so fairly easy to get through.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 8:38 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe X Company? It's a Canadian series about a team of spies during WWII. Heavy on both plot/ tension and character development. Season one starts a little shaky in terms of believability, but is still highly entertaining. Season two is one of my favorite seasons of television ever; the writing and acting are both stellar. The third and final season falls off a little in terms of quality, but is still good, and has a fitting ending (they knew it was the last season ahead of time and planned accordingly). And the whole series is only 28 episodes, so fairly easy to get through.

Sounds great. Never heard of this, but I will certainly check it out. Thanks!

ETA: It’s got Warren Brown! (Justin from Luther). Hot damn.

Edited by topanga
On 6/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, topanga said:

I miss The Americans, too! I can't believe that it's been almost eighteen months since it finished.

I'm watching We Are The Wave, and was looking for a forum, but I suppose I don't have to talk about every show. It reminds me of something, it feels familiar, the whole story and the characters, I don't know why. 

• Love 1

If you miss Harlots, I can recommend The Great, also on Hulu. It’s a semi satirical and totally OTT take on Catherine the Great. (But if you’re into that period of history, I understand it’s not terribly accurate.) Period costumes, F-bombs galore, irreverent and anachronistic dialogue, and at least dabbles with colorblind casting. Stars Elle Fanning and Nicolas Hoult. (Hoult is hilarious.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1