Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought Ryan had already been killed by the Chechens when Barry showed up to kill him. Barry then had the shootout with the Chechens in the car and the dash cam is where the police got the blurry picture of Barry. 

Barry did kill his friend from the war because he knew the guy wouldn’t be able to keep quiet about all the stuff that happened at the airstrip, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is Barry really a "remorseless" killer?

Well, he seems to care about Janice’s disappearance — her murder, as he personally knows — only because it’s interfering with his life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Blakeston said:
On April 8, 2019 at 7:26 PM, shapeshifter said:

Killing enemy combatants and violent criminals is one thing. But the actor who Barry killed in the first season was an innocent. I wonder how frequently he killed innocents? 

Remind me, which actor did Barry kill in season one?

9 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I thought Ryan had already been killed by the Chechens when Barry showed up to kill him. Barry then had the shootout with the Chechens in the car and the dash cam is where the police got the blurry picture of Barry. 

Barry did kill his friend from the war because he knew the guy wouldn’t be able to keep quiet about all the stuff that happened at the airstrip, etc.

Oops. Right. Barry didn't want to kill Ryan because he was a nice guy, but then was going to kill him anyway, but the Chechen gangsters killed Ryan. 

• Love 1
On 4/9/2019 at 3:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

II thought Barry not wanting to act the part of his life of his first kill in Afghanistan was part of his keeping a low profile — but maybe it was just leaving that part behind. Or both.

Gene was describing the scenes that the students would be performing as incidents in their lives that define who they are today. Barry's first kills define him as a killer, he doesn't want to be a killer, he wants to be an actor which is why he wanted to do the scene where he first met Gene

• Love 4
On 4/1/2019 at 12:42 AM, MrWhyt said:

nope and it was 700 yards.

Loved seeing NoHo Hank again and he got to be menacing!, but I think Esther is pretty neat too.

I liked the lightweight NoHo a lot more.  The wig was pretty funny though 😁

Looks like they’re closing in on Barry......do you think he was on to Fuches?

• Love 1

S2.E3: Past = Present x Future Over Yesterday

As part of a class project, Gene tasks Barrywith revisiting his past, and Sally (Sarah Goldberg) reflects on her own history. Barry offers to provide training to NoHo Hank's men. Fuches  finds Barry in an unexpected location.

Promo:

Original air date: 4/14/19

Here's what confuses me about Janice's death (?): I definitely assumed she was dead at the end of last season's finale. In S2 EP1, Gene is definitely mourning her death....BUT he did make a remark to the detective about "why aren't you out there combing the woods"? Errr....combing the woods for...what? Her "killer"? Would he still be hanging out in the woods? Not to mention we haven't seen her body, nor the aftermath of finding it, which normally means 'no murder'...but I would hate to think this stellar show would stoop to such a tired trope. There's still a smidgen of doubt in my mind.

I caught a short interview with Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank) this morning, it's only about 20 minutes if anyone wants to see it: 

https://www.buildseries.com/video/5cb0d70c7a51ca1f37c45567/

I assumed that Barry hid/ disposed of Janice's body so that he'd be harder to catch and prosecute. He's getting rid of any evidence he may have left on her body. I never thought she's alive.

Henry Winkler was interviewed on Fresh Air yesterday and discusses Barry as well as his years as Fonzie. I thought it was a pretty good interview. He's very honest and funny.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Soobs said:

I assumed that Barry hid/ disposed of Janice's body so that he'd be harder to catch and prosecute. He's getting rid of any evidence he may have left on her body. I never thought she's alive.

Henry Winkler was interviewed on Fresh Air yesterday and discusses Barry as well as his years as Fonzie. I thought it was a pretty good interview. He's very honest and funny.

But if there's no body, wouldn't she be considered missing rather than dead?  Maybe there's a plot twist yet to come. 

Henry Winkler was also on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert recently. He's delightful. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, littlecatsfeet said:

But if there's no body, wouldn't she be considered missing rather than dead?  Maybe there's a plot twist yet to come. 

Henry Winkler was also on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert recently. He's delightful. 

Wouldn't she have shown up by now? Is Barry holding her somewhere and sneaking off to feed her? He hit her on the head and she lost her memory? He scared her into leaving permanently? All of those options are pretty lame.

Before our every move was recorded, no body meant the person could be missing but with online banking, cameras everywhere, cell phone data etc if someone is offline for more than a week or so they're almost always dead. Convictions without a body used to be impossible but that's not as true anymore. It's pretty hard to go off the grid these days.

But that's the real world. In the world of TV, I guess it's possible, but it's kind of cheap. I hope they don't go there.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Soobs said:

I seem to recall we heard a shot so I assumed he shot her.  As for getting rid of he body i would guess he put her in the lake or under a wharf maybe....it’s hard to know how much time he had.

• Love 3

Sally’s bullshit story if going to get her ex killed.

but all these wannabe actors are rewriting their backstories.

Meanwhile, I thought Barry was going to notice the bug when he and Fuches hugged it out.

The one Chenchen has skills so Barry will mold that one but Hank’s rival gangs problems won’t go away.

• Love 1

2.3 "Past = Present x Future Over Yesterday"

As part of a class project, Gene tasks Barry with revisiting his past, and Sally reflects on her own personal history. Barry offers to provide training to NoHo Hank's men. Fuches finds Barry in an unexpected location.

Barry's funniest line:

• [SALLY] You seem really tense. . . Who can you talk to to help with your story? What about the marines that you brought to Natalie's party?
  • [BARRY] They don't really talk anymore.

2 hours ago, scrb said:

[in my best NoHo Hank accent] But is that such a bad thing?

2 hours ago, scrb said:

Meanwhile, I thought Barry was going to notice the bug when he and Fuches hugged it out.

I'm not sure that still doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, scrb said:

The one Chenchen has skills so Barry will mold that one but Hank’s rival gangs problems won’t go away.

In the "behind the scenes" bit:

Spoiler

They say that Barry wrestles with whether or not to mold the guy with the potential into a killer like himself.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Wow, that final shot!  I can safely say that when I first saw him on SNL years ago, I never would have predicted that Bill Hader would scare the crap out of me, but here we are!  I would be cowering in a corner if he was ever glaring at me like that.  If Sally's ex was smart, he would already be gone by now!

At this point, the entire Chechen gang might be one of my favorite criminal organizations in all of television.  Even the ones in the smaller roles are just find ways to make me crack up.  Still, no one will ever be able to match NoHo Hank and is polite, Thomas Friedman-hating ways.  Again, the casting of Anthony Carrigan for this role as been one of the best things about this show, which is no small feat.

I actually believe Fuches might have been somewhat real with his feelings during his scene with Barry, but I still don't doubt he will eventually turn on him when given the chance.

Not entirely sure where they are going with Gene's failed attempts to reconnect with his son. 

• Love 11

Gene's face when his son called him out on the cabin -- he clearly isn't processing his own trauma in any kind of healthy way himself.

If Esther is as smart as she seems, Hank completely gave himself up with everything he was saying in Cristobal's office. I do wonder why her hand showed no visible scarring from the knife trick though. I mean, that knife cut across bone. If it actually did... there was no blood, after all.

But why are the Chechens all living at the stash house anyways? Where did they live before that? Surely not at Goran's house, because (1) it was too small for all those dudes and (2) if I remember right, Goran tried to provide a relatively normal situation at the house for his family.

• Love 3

Great episode. The entire scene with Barry getting shot at was perfection.

Anthony Carrigan is hitting it out of the park this season.

I am a huge SNL fan and Hader is my favorite cast member of all time, he's amazingly talented for someone who worked as a PA on Iron Chef America and wanted to be behind the camera only. His range is incredible. Even though I was strangely enough rooting for someone else during the Emmys, Hader earned that Emmy and should probably get it again this year.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, scrb said:

I think the only thing that was bullshit about her story was the part about standing up to her ex and calling him a coward. Sally's friend remembered her having welts on her neck.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I think the only thing that was bullshit about her story was the part about standing up to her ex and calling him a coward. Sally's friend remembered her having welts on her neck.

Yes, which is what I what I thinking when I replied with:

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
10 hours ago, scrb said:

[in my best NoHo Hank accent] But is that such a bad thing?

• Love 5

BUT BARRY DOESN'T GET TO BE JUDGE, JURY AND EXECUTIONER.

AND PROBABLY SALLY DOESN'T NECESSARILY WANT HIM KILLED EITHER.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, trilby227 said:

Sally working on a performance about her abusive marriage, and then guess who suddenly shows up but her ex, seems like lazy script writing to me, especially for this show.

Maybe the "friend" who watches every show but Sally's, and also doesn't have time to watch shows (lol!) mentioned their conversation to the ex.

In any case, that guy is so dead.

I love how this show can be super serious/ very funny/ sad. I want Barry to get caught but I also see him as a sensitive guy who is also a product of a violence obsessed culture and I feel badly for him.  

• Love 4

I have a bad feeling that the series will end with Barry getting killed, and Sally surviving and somehow becoming a celebrity as a result of her connection to him.

I really, really don't want that to happen. Sally's always felt entitled to be a star, and I'll be very bitter if she gets to be one in spite of her lack of talent.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think she has some talent. More so than the rest of the class, certainly. Succeeding in Hollywood takes a mix of luck and talent and work. She’s certainly better than the sort of roles she’s booked so far.

Now, is she also low key a pretty bad person? Yeah, probably. She’s petty and very shallow. But bad people can be talented.

• Love 6

I loved NoHo Hank's team getting relegated to the storage container!  I cracked up when one of the guys suggested a trip to IKEA, "Maybe get an area rug?"

Sally's self consumed entitlement and need to be THE object of attention irks me.  When she walked into Barry's bullet-riddled room without any notice of feathers flying just makes me keep questioning why Barry is sooo into her!  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I loved NoHo Hank's team getting relegated to the storage container!  I cracked up when one of the guys suggested a trip to IKEA, "Maybe get an area rug?"

This was one of my favorite bits too.

If Barry and NoHo Hank and Fuches go to prison, I'd be okay with it if they become part of a prison acting class. Maybe Gene would be convicted of a more minor offense, and to fulfill his community service obligation, he would teach the class in prison.

I'm just not sure how Sally would figure in to such a scenario.

So maybe Barry gets off by turning informant — which is what Fuches is doing already.

• Love 3

Oh shit, Barry's already rethinking that whole "no killing people" thing already! Of course Sally would spice up her own tragic backstory to give herself a badass one liner and some extra drama. 

NoHo and his team are basically a violent sitcom, its so great. "They're like Seal Team 6. Maybe even 7 1/2?" 

The Braveheart sequence, with Gene and the people in the flashback all making sarcastic commentary on his obvious plagiarism was hilarious. "So you plagiarize Mel Gibson? I`m Jewish Barry what the fuck?!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Totally don't want Barry to get caught OR anything to happen to Hank!

Hank is awesome - this would be a very different show without him.  They must keep Hank.

19 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I have a bad feeling that the series will end with Barry getting killed, and Sally surviving and somehow becoming a celebrity as a result of her connection to him.

Dear God, I hope not.  I have no interest in watching if that happens.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, arc said:

I think she has some talent. More so than the rest of the class, certainly. Succeeding in Hollywood takes a mix of luck and talent and work. She’s certainly better than the sort of roles she’s booked so far.

Now, is she also low key a pretty bad person? Yeah, probably. She’s petty and very shallow. But bad people can be talented.

Sally's better than most of the other people in the class. But the percentage of people pursuing acting careers who are actually able to make a living from it is something like one percent.

She's nowhere near the top one percent of actors, and we've seen nothing special about her (like major connections, or musical talent) that would make her stand out. She has no reason to think she'll become famous, or that she deserves to be famous. (That is, if anyone truly "deserves" to be famous..)

• Love 4
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

NoHo and his team are basically a violent sitcom, its so great. "They're like Seal Team 6. Maybe even 7 1/2?" 

Now that I see this line written out:

• [NoHo about his team] They're like Seal Team 6. Maybe even 7 1/2?

I wonder if Hank thought "Seal Team" was an Olympic team, and "6" was their score.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

She's nowhere near the top one percent of actors, and we've seen nothing special about her (like major connections, or musical talent) that would make her stand out. She has no reason to think she'll become famous, or that she deserves to be famous. (That is, if anyone truly "deserves" to be famous..)

Everyone in this class is wildly delusional! The actors have ambitions well beyond their talent levels. Barry thinks he can just drop his old life. Gene uses the class as a fill-in for the Hollywood glory he thinks he should have.

Meanwhile, Noho Hank has surprisingly small ambitions. He was a good lieutenant to Goran because he apparently never wanted to be the sole guy in charge. He wants to be 50-50 partners with Cristobal but somehow this season he doesn’t want to eliminate the Bolivians. Yeah, in a lot of ways he’s delusional himself about what a life of crime means.

I guess the cop (forgot his name) investigating Janice’s death used to be delusional about the state of his marriage. BTW, it kills me that his wife isn’t even Latina herself (probably) but insisted on opening a quinceañera store in a non Latinx neighbourhood.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, arc said:

BTW, it kills me that his wife isn’t even Latina herself (probably) but insisted on opening a quinceañera store in a non Latinx neighbourhood.

I assumed she was a Latina. How do we know she wasn't?
If not, you're right: Another bit of delusion.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2019 at 11:17 PM, scrb said:

but all these wannabe actors are rewriting their backstories.

This is my biggest frustration with this show. Actors are self-absorbed, and this group is a huge turn off. Even when they appear to be sympathetic, you can't trust it because they act ... they may or may not actually care. So I don't care what happens to any of them, and I want Barry to get away from them.

• Love 3

I think the black actress with the British accent is talented.  She's in Killing Eve.

They could give her more to do but I guess other than Gene and Barry, they give most of the lines to Hank and Fuches.

• Like 1
  • Love 1