Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Broadway Backwards will be streamed for free this year at 8 pm Eastern on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. The free online event can be viewed at broadwaycares.org/backwards2021 and on the Broadway Cares YouTube channel. It will be available on demand through Saturday, April 3.

This year's streaming event includes a star-studded finale with new performances by Amy Adams, James Monroe Iglehart, Cheyenne Jackson, L Morgan Lee, Raymond J. Lee, Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Ruthie Ann Miles, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Jessie Mueller, Kelli O'Hara, Karen Olivo, Bernadette Peters, Sis and Elizabeth Stanley. The finale also includes special appearances by Debbie Allen, Matt Bomer, Brenda Braxton, Len Cariou, Glenn Close, Loretta Devine, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Cherry Jones, Aasif Mandvi, Michael McElroy, Javier Muñoz, Jim Parsons, Eve Plumb, Roslyn Ruff and Tony Yazbeck.

The event will also include special guests Chasten Buttigieg, Anderson Cooper, Ariana DeBose, Don Lemon, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Robin Roberts, Tony Shalhoub and Ben Vereen.

• Love 2

"We have spent the last year getting ready. We have been producing new work, and preparing a safe return. We've grieved, Zoomed, innovated, supported our communities, and connected our city. We've gathered brilliant artists to imagine summer under the stars in Central Park and are planning a return of Free Shakespeare in the Park beginning July 5 through August 29, with MERRY WIVES, a fresh and joyous adaptation, by Jocelyn Bioh, of Shakespeare's MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR directed by our Associate Artistic Director and Resident Director Saheem Ali.

"Set in South Harlem amidst a vibrant and eclectic community of West African immigrants, MERRY WIVES will be a celebration of Black joy, laughter, and vitality. A New York story about the tricks of the heart, performed in the heart of the City.

In partnership with City officials, health and safety experts, and with our theatrical unions, the performance schedule, safety protocols, and free ticket distribution details will be forthcoming over the next several weeks."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Public-Theaters-Shakespeare-In-The-Park-Will-Return-for-Summer-2021-with-Jocelyn-Biohs-MERRY-WIVES-20210316

If everything is safe, this would be a great first step back to theater. I haven't watched any Zoom stuff in months. 

• Love 2

Melvin Van Peebles' musical 'Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death' is set to be revived on Broadway next year.

Producer Lia Vollack is working on the revival in collaboration with the creator's son, Mario Van Peebles, and under the direction of Kenny Leon.

Featuring a book and score by Melvin Van Peebles, Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death blends early hip hop and spoken word, jazz and blues, humor and pain to offer a raucous celebration of - and clear-eyed look at - America.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/AINT-SUPPOSED-TO-DIE-A-NATURAL-DEATH-Will-Be-Revived-Broadway-Next-Year-20210323

It'll be interesting to see what Broadway looks like after all the conversations and reckonings last year in particular. But also, we have no idea what Broadway is going to look like. Company says they're coming back. I assume the long-running shows (The Lion King, Wicked... honestly not sure about Chicago) will be back. But to me, everything else is up in the air. Even like Hadestown and Moulin Rouge. Who knows? It's been so long and I don't know their financials or whether the casts have gotten other work.

• Love 2

The initiative will officially kick off on April 7 with a special performance for healthcare workers. New Yorkers can expect a varied programming slate, including a concert and cabaret series by the Lincoln Center Theater, the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center's annual summer evening concerts, dance workshops led by the New York City Ballet and film screenings by Film at Lincoln Center.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/a-giant-outdoor-performing-arts-center-is-opening-at-lincoln-center-this-april-022621

• Love 2

Grammy-winning country music star, actress and longtime Sugarland vocalist Jennifer Nettles has made no secret of her passion for Broadway – she once said her dream gig would be playing Elphaba in Wicked – and now she’s opening up about her next step in that direction: Nettles tells Deadline that she’s spent the year of the Covid shutdown writing songs for a new stage musical.

The subject: A real-life 17th Century Italian “slow poisoner” named Giulia Tofana, whose skills at concocting toxic potions were such that she is reputed to have helped hundreds of women escape abusive marriages. The husbands weren’t so lucky. A particular specialty was the self-named Aqua Tofana, a popular poison often packaged as a cosmetic powder.

[...] Nettles says she was drawn to the story after reading an article about Tofana, and initially was inspired to write just a few songs, but as pandemic isolation dragged on for a year the number of tunes grew to 12.

[...] As for how she’ll relay that history, Nettles tells Deadline the songs she’s writing for the still-untitled musical might surprise anyone expected her country music stylings, describing some of the work as “anthemic and grand.”

https://deadline.com/2021/03/grammy-winning-country-star-jennifer-nettles-developing-stage-musical-about-17th-century-crusading-poisoner-giulia-tofana-1234720891/

I'm very curious what the style of the music would be. You hear this topic and best case scenario, it sounds like Sondheim or LaChiusa. Worse case... maybe Frank Wildhorn or some kind of contemporary/operatic mix. I've seen a lot of off-Broadway dark musicals by very young composers. But Jennifer Nettles? I have no idea. I always hoped she would take over in Waitress as Jenna and I know she likes Bridges of Madison County. I can see something of that style... big soaring ballads. Her Sugarland stuff can be very big and grand. 

I don't know if it's because there are baby steps towards Broadway coming back or because I just watched the movie version of Pal Joey but I finally felt like listening to a cast album again for the first time in months. I went for The Cher Show.

I didn't think it was that strong when I saw it in person (towards the end of the run) but Stephanie's Cher voice is a little over the top on the album. She sounds a little like she was copying a Cher impressionist more than Cher on "If You Could Turn Back Time." Her voice settles more in "Half-Breed." What I like is when she sings like Cher rather than trying to mimic her voice. When she sings in her lower register and when she throws her voice rather than effortlessly belting, that's when I hear Cher the most. It's the style/technique more than her accent/the idiosyncrasies of her voice. Micaela Diamond's impression of Cher is wonderful. The Cher songs sit in such a wonderful place in her range. I'll be interested to see if she finds more Broadway work in the future. I know she can sing in a higher range but she doesn't seem like the Broadway screlter that's popular now and she has a more unusual look. Teal Wicks disappears on this album. I didn't think the inclusion of a bit of the book did much to tell the story. I wanted more of it or less of it. The bad tracks like "Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do," the rock version of "Bang Bang," "Heart of Stone," etc. stick out. I wish the bits of dialogue had been there to smooth the transitions into songs like this. Also, it would have been nice to have a book scene with her mom or anything about the Cinderella bit. I remember the role some of these songs played but I feel like it would be very confusing for someone who hadn't seen the show. I wish "Believe" (not the finale megamix version) and "Strong Enough" were longer. I think it was mistake to not include the warrior goddess speech or whatever it was if they wanted to include book scenes. It's the mission statement of the show.

This was such a feel good show and it's an equally feel good album. But because of the missing pieces, in some ways, it's confusing. If they weren't going to supplement with book scenes, I kind of wish they'd just performed full length versions of some of the songs. There were a couple tracks where I felt like the vocals were swallowed up by the production but I don't have my good headphones so I don't want to judge too harshly. Overall, very fun as someone who saw the show but I think it has weaknesses as a cast album for anyone who didn't.

RE: Broadway Backwards

The Chita and Tituss performances will forever be iconic. But I also appreciated how gay a lot of the other numbers were (One Boy, Bonnie Milligan, Ariana de Bose, Michael McElroy). I'm still not into Dear Evan Hansen but if they were going to go for such a specific story, I thought they could have done worse than the Jay Armstrong Johnson/Jenn Collela interstitials. It's not universal but it probably speaks to some people who were watching this. 

Side note: I know he has Broadway Inspirational Voices but every year that someone doesn't write a project or even a song for Michael McElroy is a criminal crime.

New York City Center President & CEO Arlene Shuler today announced a new digital program as part of the 2020 - 2021 season, Sutton Foster|Bring Me to Light. Filmed live at City Center, the concert premieres Wednesday, April 28 at 7pm ET, with on demand viewing through Monday, May 31.

Sutton Foster takes over City Center-filling it with her indomitable spirit for a concert with friends celebrating their connections to the historic theater and reflecting on the challenges facing all of us in this time. Through a collection of solos, duets, and group numbers, the cast enlivens the theater with the hope of things to come. Bring Me to Light features performances by Broadway star and fellow City Center alum Kelli O'Hara; Wren Rivera, Foster's student at Ball State University; and reunites Foster with cast members Raúl Esparza and Joaquina Kalukango to reminisce and perform songs from their shared productions at City Center-Anyone Can Whistle and The Wild Party. Featuring music theater favorites from Camelot, Oklahoma!, South Pacific, Violet, and more, the cast is accompanied by Music Director Michael Rafter (piano) and Matt Hinkley (guitar). Sutton Foster|Bring Me to Light is directed by Leigh Silverman, with Jeanine Tesori serving as Creative Producer.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Sutton-Foster-Will-Take-Over-City-Center-for-BRING-ME-TO-LIGHT-with-Kelli-OHara-Raul-Esparza-and-Joaquina-Kalukango-Wren-Rivera-20210407

• Love 1

Former Secretary of State and avid theatergoer Hillary Rodham Clinton will participate in Classic Stage Company's event Tell the Story: Celebrating Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman's Assassins, delivering remarks about the timely and timeless American musical.

She joins a stellar lineup featuring cast members of the original Off-Broadway company, the Broadway revival, and Doyle's highly anticipated upcoming CSC production; and will culminate in a discussion with Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman.

This free virtual evening of performance and conversation premieres Thursday, April 15, at 8pm EST, and will be available for viewing until Monday, April 19 at 8pm EST. Registration is required, and can be made at classicstage.org/tellthestory.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Hillary-Clinton-Joins-ASSASSINS-Event-Tell-The-Story-from-Classic-Stage-Company-20210407

• Love 1

Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts today announced that Mimi Lien, celebrated set designer and MacArthur Genius grantee, has been commissioned to physically reimagine Josie Robertson Plaza as part of Restart Stages. "The GREEN" will transform the approximately 14,000 square feet of open, concrete expanse surrounding the Revson Fountain into an environment that invites New Yorkers to relax and enjoy the open, park-like space.

[...] 

"When invited to consider how the physical space of Josie Robertson Plaza could be re-envisioned to be a more inclusive and inviting environment, I immediately thought that by changing the ground surface from hard paving stones with no seating to a material like grass, suddenly anyone would be able to sit anywhere," said Mimi Lien.

[...]

Books will be available for borrowing provided by the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts; a small snack bar is planned for the northeast corner; and pop-up performances of all kinds will be offered throughout the summer and fall-including music, dance, and a series of family performances and workshops.

"The GREEN" will be constructed of recyclable, biobased SYNLawn, provided by SYNLawn New York. The grass-like material has a high soy content, fully sourced from U.S. farmers. Fabrication is being provided by Hudson Scenic Studio.

Lien continued, "In the past, Josie Robertson Plaza has been a space that you walk through in order to see a performance, to get to the Library, or even to admire the fountain for a bit, but I dreamt of making it a space of inhabitation, of pleasure, and of rest. I wanted to make a place where you could lie on a grassy slope and read a book all afternoon. Get a coffee and sit in the sun. Bring your babies and frolic in the grass. Have a picnic lunch with co-workers. I hope that this curved grass surface will feel like an embrace and an expanse at the same time, and will reimagine the Plaza as a site of social infrastructure, like a town green - a place to gather, a common ground."

[...] 

Adhering to accessibility guidelines, the grass-like SYNLawn, ramps, and curved elements are designed so that people with different levels of mobility can access the space. Cane detection for people who are blind or have low vision is integrated into the architecture.

At the close of Restart Stages, SYNLawn New York will upcycle "The GREEN" material to new homes on playgrounds for at-risk youth in upstate New York.

"The GREEN" will be open May 10 through September 2021, 9 a.m.- midnight. A variety of safety protocols will be in place, following recommended guidelines as the public health situation evolves-including, but not limited to, required face coverings, social distancing, and regular cleaning of the space.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lincoln-Center-Will-Transform-Josie-Robertson-Plaza-Into-Green-Space-20210413

Karen Olivo, a 2020/21 Tony nominee for her performance in Moulin Rouge!, has just announced via Instagram that she will not return to the show when it reopens on Broadway.

"Social justice is more important than being the sparkling diamond," she said. "Building a better industry is more important than putting money in my pockets. The silence about Scott Rudin... unacceptable."

They continue: "I don't need to be onstage. I need to be out here. People are more important than your pocketbook... I want a theatre industry that matches my integrity. Come on, ya'll. It's not here, obviously. Let's go make it."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Karen-Olivo-Announces-She-Will-Not-Return-to-MOULIN-ROUGE--I-Want-a-Theatre-Industry-That-Matches-My-Integrity-20210414

• Love 2

From Entertainment Lawyer Blind Items site - April 2021:

159. ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 04/16 **4**

Mr. X: I’ve always heard rumors about the authenticity of its existence, but it does indeed exist. It is a professionally shot color film of the star-making Broadway musical ("My Fair Lady") (and eventually film) ("My Fair Lady" starring Audrey Hepburn) that would win its star, a permanent A++ list singer/actress/icon (Julie Andrews) several big awards. In order to prepare for the show’s West End opening after the star left the Broadway show to go overseas, the play was filmed in its entirety so sets, costumes and choreography could be duplicated. After the film was seen by the London producers, it found its way into the hand of the show’s star who promptly shoved it into a storage locker never to be seen again... that is until recently. While she was preparing for an auction of her personal memorabilia in the mid 2000s she found the film in that storage locker and had it screened. It was in bad shape and she personally paid to have it restored. Whether or not the general public will ever see it remains up for grabs. 

"My Fair Lady"/Julie Andrews (Julie Andrews won Academy Award in 1964 for "Mary Poppins", Audrey Hepburn was not nominated for "My Fair Lady")

Anyone know if this is legit? And if so, what are the chances the film will ever be available to the public? I'd definitely pay good money to see that performance.

• Love 2
On 4/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, giovannif7 said:

From Entertainment Lawyer Blind Items site - April 2021:

Anyone know if this is legit? And if so, what are the chances the film will ever be available to the public? I'd definitely pay good money to see that performance.

My mother would love to be able to see this. My whole life she has been talking about her adoration of Julie Andrews and the cast album and how wrong it was that they cast anyone else in the movie. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So my local theater announced their new season for 2021-2022...I hesitate to talk about what’s coming because I don’t want to jinx it...let me just say that it looks like a good lineup!!!!

So far the San Francisco 21-22 season looks like it's going to be everything that was supposed to be the 20-21 season. They have been trying to get me to renew my membership since last March right after everything shut down and I haven't yet because there seemed to be no point in forking over all that money when we had no idea when anything would reopen. Next season's line up is currently Hadestown, Ain't Too Proud, Oklahoma, Moulin Rouge, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Prom, and an as yet to be determined seventh show (it was originally supposed to be The Cher Show). I already saw Ain't Too Proud before it hit Broadway so I really only interested in seeing Hadestown, Moulin Rouge, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

There are still three shows from the 19-20 season that have been rescheduled (Mean Girls, My Fair Lady, and The Band's Visit). They originally moved The Band's Visit from June 2020 to April 2021 and it's already been rescheduled for January 2022. Mean Girls got moved from July 2020 to July 2021, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen either (which is fine with me because the capacity for that theater is 2300 and I'm not ready to sit indoors for three hours with that many people just yet). The only tour that might happen for me this year is My Fair Lady which was moved from August 2020 to November 2021 but realistically the national tours aren't going to resume until theaters can open at full capacity so I'm not holding my breath about seeing My Fair Lady this year either.

I also had tickets to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in April 2020. The box office keeps being wildly optimistic and rescheduling my seats for specific dates. I'm now on my fourth set of tickets. I'm currently scheduled for June 2022. They're saying that performances are suspended through November 28th of this year so I guess they're finally being more realistic about how soon they can reopen.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Next season's line up is currently Hadestown, Ain't Too Proud, Oklahoma, Moulin Rouge, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Prom, and an as yet to be determined seventh show (it was originally supposed to be The Cher Show). I already saw Ain't Too Proud before it hit Broadway so I really only interested in seeing Hadestown, Moulin Rouge, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Hadestown and Ain’t too Proud are part of my theater’s season too! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Love 1

Next season's line up is currently Hadestown, Ain't Too Proud, Oklahoma, Moulin Rouge, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Prom, and an as yet to be determined seventh show (it was originally supposed to be The Cher Show). I already saw Ain't Too Proud before it hit Broadway so I really only interested in seeing Hadestown, Moulin Rouge, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I don't know how Oklahoma will play with a different cast but I think this production is worth watching at least once. I don't know how The Cher Show would have played without Stephanie J. Block and Michaela Diamond. I remember so much of the ensemble numbers being beautiful actors doing the most lackluster choreography. Like, I know you can dance in a way that's more athletic and impressive. 

I still need to see Hadestown on Broadway (saw it at NYTW) but it's so hard to adjust my expectations now. I feel like it can only live up to the hype or be a huge disappointment. And I did like the NYTW production. But my #1 is still Company. 

A workshop of new musical The Danish Girl, adapted from the book by David Ebershoff in turn based on the true story of Lili Elbe, will run at New Theatre Peterborough later this month.

Taking place from 26 to 30 April, the piece, created by writers Katie Lam and Alex Parker alongside director Tinuke Craig, will follow the Danish painter Elbe, who was the first person to undergo gender confirmation surgery in 1930.

She will be portrayed by by American transgender actress L Morgan Lee, alongside Laura Pitt-Pulford as Gerda, with Sharif Afifi, Kelly Agbowu, Jo Eaton-Kent, Siubhan Harrison, Chloe Hart, Chris Jenkins, Freddie King and Harrison Knights also involved in the workshop.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/the-danish-girl-musical-workshop-cast_53864.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=22april2021

7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I don't know how The Cher Show would have played without Stephanie J. Block and Michaela Diamond.

I didn't think Wicked would survive without Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth but apparently I was wrong. I was fine with the idea of seeing The Cher Show when it was part of the new season, but not enough to convince me that I needed to buy a full subscription. Now that it's being replaced with another show, I'm not heartbroken. I'm hoping the new seventh show will be a must see that will convince me to get a season subscription. If not, I'll just buy tickets for the three shows I want to see once they figure out when everything can reopen.

• Love 1

@ElectricBoogaloo I think the difference is that (for me) Wicked can stand alone without the lead actresses. Yes, there are some super cringe lyrics, but the score is showy enough for any of the actors who can handle the vocal demands will do fine. With The Cher Show, Stephanie, and to a lesser extent Michaela, elevated the lackluster material with their performances. Otherwise, you're just getting a Cher impersonation concert. It's why I also want to try to see Tina with Adrienne Warren. 

Sorta reminds me of Summer. The three Donnas are all amaaaaaazing singers, but if you ever thought "gee I'd watch that actor read the phone book and it'd still be engaging", Summer will put that hyperbole to the test. Cuz, dang, did those women deserve a better show.

• Love 1

I decided to listen to the Head Over Heels album. I don't have the good headphones but I don't love the sound mix. It sounds very thin on Spotify. I can see why it was a hit with the people who loved it. It's fun and poppy and also VERY theater kid in every way (earnestness, tone, choreography, etc.). I don't know if it would be cleared for school performances but I can see kids loving being in a production of this show. It's not for me... but I can see who it would appeal to. I don't think it's a great show, but, for it's demographic, I think it works with only the minor jukebox musical issues. I kind of wish I'd seen it in person if only because I don't think the album sounds nearly as good as it would have sounded in the theater. 

I think it has the jukebox musical (that isn't a biomusical) problem of forcing songs to fit a purpose when they weren't written to do the job of moving the story along. However, I do think the album does a pretty good job of telling the story (with a plot synopsis at hand). I appreciate the snippets of dialogue that were included. I feel like the story has big Hairspray energy but more radical in the way it challenges views of gender and sexuality. It's less about defined villains and more of a resistance to change but the parallels between "We've Got the Beat" and "You Can't Stop the Beat" were very apparent to me. I guess both shows are similarly size inclusive though Head Over Heels goes farther with no one thinking Pamela (Bonnie Milligan) is unattractive or making fun of her weight. It definitely leans into farce but with more modern irreverence. That kind of humor doesn't usually work for me. 

Also, I should really see the next Rachel York Broadway show even if it's another Disaster or Head Over Heels. Worth it to see her live at least once. 

5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I should really see the next Rachel York Broadway show even if it's another Disaster or Head Over Heels. Worth it to see her live at least once. 

I saw her live in Head over Heels and Kiss Me Kate. She was fantastic in both shows!

Head over Heels is something I thought would do well on Broadway because it's bright and fun and full of familiar songs. I think the cast recording on its own is probably okay (I haven't listened to it) but the performances were fun to watch because of the costumes and the choreography and the great dancers in the ensemble. I saw it on opening night in SF so I got to see the Go-Gos which was an added bonus. If I had to choose between Head over Heels, Ain't Too Proud, and Summer (all of which I've seen), I'd recommend Head over Heels because even though jukebox musicals have the task of making songs fit the narrative, I found the story more interesting. The last biomusical I really enjoyed was Beautiful.

14 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Sorta reminds me of Summer. The three Donnas are all amaaaaaazing singers, but if you ever thought "gee I'd watch that actor read the phone book and it'd still be engaging", Summer will put that hyperbole to the test. Cuz, dang, did those women deserve a better show.

I saw the national tour of Summer and while everyone in the show was clearly talented, the show felt like it just dragged. I kept waiting for the next big dance number.

I saw her live in Head over Heels and Kiss Me Kate. She was fantastic in both shows!

I loved her leaning into the 50's/60's voice for This Old Feeling but otherwise, I didn't think she had that much to do. I am jealous that you got to see her in Kiss Me Kate. I watched the recording of that production SO MUCH growing up. I have managed to see Brent Barrett and Nancy Anderson perform live. 

I don't think the average person knows that many Go-Go's songs. And I read elsewhere that Mad About You and Heaven is a Place on Earth are just Belinda Carlisle solo songs so if you subtract those, I barely knew any of the songs. If the goal is nostalgia/familiarity you need to find a real singles artist/band. 

Some terrific news for when POTO reopens in London--Lucy St. Louis has been cast as the first black Christine. She's actually not the first overall, as a black actress once played Christine in the South African production, but it's a huge feat for there to be one in a major venue like the West End.

If this isn't repeated on Broadway soon, I might just go to London specifically to see her.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/lucy-st-louis-to-play-christine-phantom-opera_53902.html

• Useful 2

A musical adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s legendary novel The Great Gatsby is coming to Broadway. The Great Gatsby, A New Musical will feature lyrics by Grammy-nominated singer Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine and music by Welch and Oscar and Grammy Award nominee Thomas Bartlett. Pulitzer Prize winner Martyna Majok wrote the musical's book and Olivier nominee Rebecca Frecknall is set to direct. Jeanie O'Hare will serve as the story consultant.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/200701/florence-welch-and-thomas-bartlett-to-score-broadway-bound-the-great-gatsby-musical/

I love her music but it's more abstract and atmospheric... but also loud and anthemic and big. That doesn't strike me as a perfect fit like Sara Bareilles with Waitress. But then Sara also wrote comedic almost-patter songs which I wouldn't have put in her wheelhouse so maybe Florence is a secret theater kid too. With so many women on the creative team, I hope they do SOMETHING with Daisy.

Speaking of ALW... hrm...

I definitely understand it better. It seems to be going for pop and contemporary musical theater. Not sure about the story. Could be good commentary or it could be a heavy-handed mess. "Plastic surgery bad" is not really the most incisive or controversial feminist idea. I feel like this would be perfectly fine as like... a Disney channel original movie. Even a little off-Broadway show aimed at a younger audience. But a Broadway musical at Broadway prices? 

On 5/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, DisneyBoy said:

...but is the physical production changed?

I've heard Cameron has tinkered with the show...made it more like the awful tour....

I really hope not, because the few clips I've seen on YouTube have been AWFUL. The only thing that the tour does better is the overture and chandelier crash. Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

It's interesting how I've liked most of the non-replica productions from Hungary, Poland, etc, but the tour sucks.

Coming to Broadway in Fall 2021 is Jeanine Tesori and Tony Kushner's CAROLINE, OR CHANGE starring Sharon D Clarke, directed by Michael Longhurst, and choreographed by Ann Yee at Studio 54. Previews begin October 8; opening night October 27.

Guess I'll be back in a theater October 2021. 

Did anyone watch the Norm Lewis thing tonight? I couldn't get it to start on the Lincoln Center website, so I switched to youtube. And then it did finally start but I decided to go make dinner and I only watched half of it when I came back before the video cut off. From what I saw, I liked the Porgy and Bess number and the Johnny Mathis song. I just feel like he wants to be a tenor/crooner so bad and that's not the best place for his voice. 

Sutton Foster Replaces Megan Mullally in London Revival of Anything Goes

Sutton Foster, who won her second Tony Award for her work as Reno Sweeney in the 2011 Broadway revival of Anything Goes, will again step into the role created by the late Ethel Merman this summer at London’s Barbican Theatre. The Broadway favorite replaces Megan Mullally, who has withdrawn from the show due to an injury.

Performances begin at the London venue July 23 with an official opening August 4. Directed and choreographed by Tony winner Kathleen Marshall—who helmed the 2011 Broadway revival of the Cole Porter musical—the limited run will continue through October 17.

Foster, who will be making her West End debut, will star alongside the previously announced Tony and Olivier winner Robert Lindsay (Me and My Girl) as Moonface Martin, Evening Standard Theatre Award winner Felicity Kendal (The Good Life) as Evangeline Harcourt, and Gary Wilmot (Chicago, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) as Elisha Whitney.

• Love 2

Jeremy Jordan Will Star in Return of Off-Broadway Revival of Little Shop of Horrors

Broadway favorite Jeremy Jordan will take on the role of Seymour when Little Shop of Horrors resumes its run at the Westside Theatre beginning September 21.

Jordan was originally slated to join the production March 17, 2020, succeeding Gideon Glick, when the musical was temporarily closed due to the pandemic. Jonathan Groff originated the role of Seymour in this production.

Original cast members Emmy Award winner Tammy Blanchard and Tony Award winner Christian Borle will return in their roles as, respectively, Audrey and Orin Scrivello, D.D.S.

Completing the cast are returning members Tom Alan Robbins (The Lion King, Head Over Heels) as Mushnik, Aaron Arnell Harrington as The Voice of Audrey II, Salome Smith as Ronnette, Joy Woods as Chiffon, Aveena Sawyer as Crystal, Eric Wright, Teddy Yudain, Stephen Berger, and Chelsea Turbin.

• Love 1

Miscast was great this year. I preferred it to Broadway Backwards. Not only were they all new performances, but I thought the blend of people in their homes and some segments with really high production values made the whole show feel more natural. There's still a limit to how much Zoom stuff I can watch.

• Love 1
(edited)

Re: Miscast

FYI - skip the first 37 minutes (it's just a countdown to the beginning). Then there's a pre-show with trivia questions and performances from previous years. The actual show begins at the 1 hr 4 minute mark.

PERFORMANCES (in order of appearance)
RENÉE ELISE GOLDSBERRY performing THOSE MAGIC CHANGES from GREASE
MELISSA BARRERA and LESLIE GRACE performing WHAT YOU OWN from RENT
CHEYENNE JACKSON performing IF I WERE A BELL from GUYS AND DOLLS
JAI’LEN JOSEY performing OUT THERE from THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
ROBIN DE JESÚS performing NOTHING from A CHORUS LINE
PATRICK WILSON performing THINK OF ME from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
LACHANZE performing WAIT FOR IT from HAMILTON
ANNALEIGH ASHFORD performing MISTER MISTOFFELEES from CATS
KELLY MARIE TRAN performing YOU AND ME (BUT MOSTLY ME) from THE BOOK OF MORMON
BILLY PORTER performing DIVA’S LAMENT from SPAMALOT
AARON TVEIT and GAVIN CREEL performing IN HIS EYES from JEKYLL AND HYDE
KELLI O’HARA performing BEAUTIFUL CITY from GODSPELL
IDINA MENZEL performing MORNING GLOW from PIPPIN

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
(edited)

Trailer for the movie adaptation of Dear Evan Hansen:

It looks like Ben Platt is the only one from the OBC who will be in the movie. The only other actors with Broadway experience are Colton Ryan who was an understudy for the original Broadway cast and Isaac Cole Powell who plays Rhys. The main cast is Kaitlyn Dever (Zoe), Amandla Stenberg (Alana), Nik Dodani (Jared), Danny Pino (Larry), Julianne Moore (Heidi) and Amy Adams (Cynthia). Other cast members include Liz Kate (Gemma), Avery Bederman (Isabelle), Gerald Caesar (Josh), DeMarius Copes (Oliver), Tommy Kane (Greg), and Marvin Leon (Skye).

I had to laugh at the production people thinking that giving Ben Platt some floppy hair will somehow make him look young enough to be in high school.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Broadway's Best Shows has just announced a musical extravaganza with dozens of Broadway stars performing the title songs from over 20 beloved musicals. "Show of Titles" will be available on June 8, 2021 for a limited time only. All proceeds will benefit The Actors Fund.

With performances by: Annaleigh Ashford, Glenn Close, Len Cariou, Darren Criss, Santino Fontana, Kelsey Grammar, David Alan Grier, Jake Gyllenhaal, Joshua Henry, Isabelle Huppert, Norm Lewis, Patti LuPone, Rob McClure, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Melba Moore, Jessie Mueller, Eva Noblezada, Kelli O'Hara, Laura Osnes, Steven Pasquale, Michael Rupert, Ernie Sabella, Lea Salonga, Phillipa Soo, Will Swenson, Aaron Tveit, Leslie Uggams, Vanessa Williams & Patrick Wilson. And Special Appearances by: Broadway Inspirational Voices, Candice Bergen, Danny Burstein, Bryan Cranston, Sheldon Harnick, John Kander, Angela Lansbury, John Lithgow, Lindsay Mendez, Phylicia Rashad, Ben Vereen, BD Wong & Florian Zeller.

"Show of Titles" is directed by Emmy Award winner Lonny Price ("Best Worst Thing That Ever Happened," PBS' "Harold Prince: The Director's Life," Sunset Boulevard starring Glenn Close) and Emmy & Grammy Award winner Jason Howland (PBS' "Handel's Messiah Rocks" & Broadway's Little Women & Beautiful) is the Music Director/Supervisor.

"Show of Titles" will be livestreamed on Stellar at 8M EST/5PM PST and available for a strictly limited amount of time. Starting May 17, tickets will be on sale for $29. Starting May 21, tickets will be $39. Proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to The Actor's Fund.

It sounds like a fun idea for a concert but even for charity, $29 is on the higher end for a livestream concert. What are the production values? I think it's different when you pay to watch the Sutton Foster concert at NY City Center or one of those concerts filmed at Birdland vs. more Zoom stuff. I think it's interesting that it's only available for 4 nights starting June 8 but you pay less if you buy the tickets early. That... seems suspicious. 

This video is very interesting, because it brings up South Pacific and Miss Saigon using the Lotus Blossom stereotype when it comes to its portrayal of Asian women; specifically how the male characters fall for them because they’re sweet, innocent, demure, exotic and Not Like Other (re American) Girls, playing into the White Savior Trope. But at least the new production of Miss Saigon tried to emphasize how abusive American soldiers were the nightclub girls/hookers and how messed up it was that they were taking their war frustrations on them.

I’d like to think that more people today see Kim’s suicide not as a “selfless sacrifice” but a last act of desperation she was forced to do because Chris couldn’t man up and do right by Tam unless she was out of the picture. Because the only other choice was scrapping by in post-Vietnam War Bangkok, and whatever “stay away” money Chris and Ellen would have sent them probably wouldn’t help that much.

• Love 2