Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Patti LuPone, Vanessa Williams, Laura Benanti Part of Live From the West Side: Women of Broadway Concert Series

Live from the West Side: Women of Broadway, a three-part virtual concert series, will kick off October 24 with two-time Tony winner Patti LuPone. The live streams, a co-production of Dallas Summer Musicals and Entertainment Benefits Group, are being shared by more than 20 nonprofit arts presenters around the country.

The series will continue November 14 with Tony winner Laura Benanti and conclude December 5 with Tony nominee Vanessa Williams. Expect show tunes, pop songs, and personal stories from each artist. Performances will take place at The Shubert Virtual Studios on Manhattan’s West Side. At-home audience members will be invited to email questions to be answered during the concert.

[...]

Interested viewers are encouraged to purchase tickets through their local partner nonprofit organization, which include Boise State University, Broward Center, Cleveland Playhouse Square, Dallas Summer Musicals, Denver Center, Fox Theatre, Hennepin Theater Trust, Marcus Center, Northlight Theatre, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Overture Center, Paper Mill Playhouse, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, RiverCenter, Segerstrom Center, Shea's Performing Arts Center, Straz Center, Tennessee Performing Arts Center, The 5th Avenue Theater, Theatre Under the Stars, University of North Carolina School of the Arts, and Texas Performing Arts.

Passes for Live from the West Side: Women of Broadway include access to the live performances plus an additional 72 hours of on-demand viewing. Proceeds will support the nonprofit arts presenters.

• Love 1

new musical comedy series on Apple TV has cast full of Broadway stars

Alan Cumming, Kristin Chenoweth, Jane Krakowski, Aaron Tveit, Ariana DeBose, Ann Harada, and Jaime Camil are among the Broadway actors who have been cast.

The series centers Melissa and Josh (Cecily Strong and Keegan Michael Key), a couple who are on a backpacking trip designed to reinvigorate their relationship when they discover a magical town in which everyone acts as if they're in a musical from the 1940s.

Kristin Chenoweth plays Mildred, the reverend's morally superior wife who is in everybody's business; Fred Armisen will play the reverend himself.

Alan Cumming plays Mayor Menlove, the welcoming town leader who harbors a secret (and a song) in his heart. Ann Harada is Florence, his oblivious and dutiful wife.

Aaron Tveit joins the cast in the role of Danny Bailey, the town bad boy who is "trouble with a capital T" - especially once he sets his sights on Melissa. Dove Cameron plays Betsy, the farmer's daughter who instantly falls for Josh.

Ariana DeBose plays Emma Tate, a more modern school teacher who struggles to fit into the town's strict mold; Jaime Camil is Doc Lopez, the handsome town doctor with an icy heart; and Jane Krakowski plays The Countess, a stunning and sophisticated woman determined to marry Doc Lopez.

• Love 2
(edited)

@ElectricBoogaloo Something tells me this is going to be poorly thought out like Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. Or full of lame humor like Galavant. I'll be happily surprised if it's more like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but I'm not holding my breath. I'm getting SNL musical skit energy. Also, I hope the Betsy/Josh thing is a joke that's quickly dropped because the age difference is gross. 

Will I try to remember to DVR it for the actors I like? Yes. Will I probably fill the forum thread with comments every week about how the show is terrible and driving me crazy and full of wasted potential? Also, yes.

ETA: Nevermind. It's Apple TV. I'm not subscribing to watch it.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2

“A Moment for Broadway” is organized by volunteer organization NYCNext as part of a series of pop-up performances designed to bring renewed vibrancy to New York City. Broadway Inspirational Voices, with special guests, will sing a socially distanced ensemble performance of Stephen Sondheim’s “Sunday” from Sunday in the Park With George on the TKTS Red Steps on Wednesday, October 7. The chorus includes Kate Baldwin, Sierra Boggess, Charl Brown, Andréa Burns, Carolee Carmello, Danielle Chambers, Casey Clark, Kris Coleman, Gavin Creel, Jennifer Damiano, Allyson Kaye Daniel, Brandon Victor Dixon, Eden Espinosa, Lucia Giannetta, Jason Gotay, Erika Henningsen, Marcus Paul James, Telly Leung, Norm Lewis, Zonya Love, Anastacia McCleskey, Javier Muñoz, Jon Eric Parker, Bernadette Peters, Andrew Rannells, Kris Roberts, Desiree Rodriguez, Eliseo Roman, Ben Roseberry, Stark Sands, Ari’el Stachel, and Virginia Woodruff.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

It's fine for a performance like this but I hope there aren't any producers thinking they can put on a play if the cast just wears face shields. Can you even imagine what that would look like?

Beetlejuice Stars Will Reunite for Broadway for Biden Pep Rally

A Beetlejuice cast reunion is among the roster for the Broadway for Biden Pep Rally October 14, with stars Alex Brightman, Sophia Anne Caruso, and Dana Steingold all set to appear during the virtual event. Joining them are Tony winners Leslie Uggams, Donna Murphy, Joel Grey, James Monroe Iglehart, and more Broadway stars.

Festivities begin at 8 PM ET on the Broadway Podcast Network.

Hosted by playwright and performer Eric Ulloa, the special event also includes appearances from Harolyn Blackwell, Telly Leung, Caissie Levy, Lesli Margherita, Patti Murin, Zachary Prince, Brandon Uranowitz, stage manager Matthew DiCarlo, and NYC City Council member Ritchie Torres, the Democratic nominee for US Congress, NY-15.

The Fates of Hadestown to Release New Holiday Album

Jewelle Blackman, Yvette Gonzalez-Nacer, and Kay Trinidad (collectively known as The Fates), will release a new holiday album digitally and on CD November 20.

If The Fates Allow: A Hadestown Holiday Album also features guest appearances by the entire cast of the Tony– and Grammy Award-winning musical singing beloved holiday classics as well as songs composed by Gonzalez-Nacer, Hadestown’s Tony-winning songwriter Anaïs Mitchell, and Hadestown music director Liam Robinson, all in the vein of Hadestown’s signature mix of blues, folk, ragtime, and jazz.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2020 at 7:42 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

FYI - Phantom of the Opera is available on YouTube again this weekend (the Sierra Boggess/Ramin Karimloo version):

It says that if the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan

Tony nominations:

Spoiler

Best play:
Grand Horizons
The Inheritance
Sea Wall/A Life
Slave Play
The Sound Inside

Best musical:
Jagged Little Pill
Moulin Rouge!
Tina

Best book of a musical:
Jagged Little Pill
Moulin Rouge!
Tina

Best original score:
A Christmas Carol
The Inheritance
The Rose Tattoo
Slave Play
The Sound Inside

Best revival of a play:
Betrayal
Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune
A Soldier's Play

Lead actor in a play:
Ian Barford - Linda Vista
Andrew Burnap - The Inheritance
Jake Gyllenhaal - Sea Wall/A Life
Tom Hiddleston - Betrayal
Tom Sturridge - Sea Wall/A Life
Blair Underwood - A Soldier's Play

Lead actress in a play:
Joaquina Kalukango - Slave Play
Laura Linney - My Name Is Lucy Barton
Audra McDonald - Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune
Mary-Louise Parker - The Sound Inside

Lead actor in a musical:
Aaron Tveit - Moulin Rouge!

Lead actress in a musical:
Karen Olivo - Moulin Rouge!
Elizabeth Stanley - Jagged Little Pill
Adrienne Warren - Tina

Featured actor in a play:
Ato Blankson-Wood - Slave Play
James Cusati-Moyer - Slave Play
David Alan Grier - A Soldier's Play
John Benjamin Hickey - The Inheritance
Paul Hilton - The Inheritance

Featured actress in a play:
Jane Alexander - Grand Horizons
Chalia La Tour - Slave Play
Annie McNamara - Slave Play
Lois Smith - The Inheritance
Cora Vander Broek - Linda Vista

Featured actor in a musical:
Danny Burstein - Moulin Rouge!
Derek Klena - Jagged Little Pill
Sean Allan Krill - Jagged Little Pill
Sahr Ngaujah - Moulin Rouge!
Daniel J. Watts - Tina

Featured actress in a musical:
Kathryn Gallagher - Jagged Little Pill
Celia Rose Gooding - Jagged Little Pill
Robyn Hurder - Moulin Rouge!
Lauren Patten - Jagged Little Pill
Myra Lucretia Taylor - Tina

Scenic design of a play:
Bob Crowley - The Inheritance
Soutra Gilmour - Betrayal
Rob Howell - A Christmas Carol
Derek McLane - A Soldier's Play
Clint Ramos - Slave Play

Scenic design of a musical:
Riccardo Hernández and Lucy Mackinnon - Jagged Little Pill
Derek McLane - Moulin Rouge!
Mark Thompson and Jeff Sugg - Tina

Costume design of a play:
Dede Ayite - Slave Play
Dede Ayite - A Soldier's Play
Bob Crowley - The Inheritance
Rob Howell - A Christmas Carol
Clint Ramos - The Rose Tattoo

Costume design of a musical:
Emily Rebholz - Jagged Little Pill
Mark Thompson - Tina
Catherine Zuber - Moulin Rouge!

Lighting design of a play:
Jiyoun Chang - Slave Play
Jon Clark - The Inheritance
Heather Gilbert - The Sound Inside
Allen Lee Hughes - A Soldier's Play
Hugh Vanstone - A Christmas Carol

Lighting design of a musical:
Bruno Poet - Tina
Justin Townsend - Jagged Little Pill
Justin Townsend - Moulin Rouge!

Sound design of a play:
Paul Arditti & Christopher Reid - The Inheritance
Simon Baker - A Christmas Carol
Lindsay Jones - Slave Play
Daniel Kluger - Sea Wall/A Life
Daniel Kluger - The Sound Inside

Sound design of a musical:
Jonathan Deans - Jagged Little Pill
Peter Hylenski - Moulin Rouge!
Nevin Steinberg - Tina

Best direction of a play:
David Cromer - The Sound Inside
Stephen Daldry - The Inheritance
Kenny Leon - A Soldier's Play
Jamie Lloyd - Betrayal
Robert O'Hara - Slave Play

Best direction of a musical:
Phyllida Lloyd - Tina
Diane Paulus - Jagged Little Pill
Alex Timbers - Moulin Rouge!

Best choreography:
Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui - Jagged Little Pill
Sonya Tayeh - Moulin Rouge!
Anthony Van Laast - Tina

Best orchestrations:
Tom Kitt - Jagged Little Pill
Justin Levine, with Katie Kresek, Charlie Rosen and Matt Stine - Moulin Rouge!
Ethan Popp - Tina

35 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

That's Aaron Tveit for Moulin Rouge, but he still needs 60% of the 800 voters to win the Tony which I hope he does as he's been long overdue for a Tony win.

I think he's liked and respected enough in the Broadway community to get the 60%. I just hope that people don't think, "Ehhh, he'll get enough votes," and then skip voting for him. I don't think Moulin Rouge was his best role, but he definitely deserves a Tony.

Is it wrong that part of me was laughing about the fact that everyone hated The Lightning Thief so much that it was completely shut out of the nominations? I mean, only four eligible musicals this year and that show still got the middle finger. I remember it was near me when it toured a few years ago but it was too far for me to bother with (either Sacramento or San Jose) because I wasn't about to sit in rush hour traffic for two hours to see it. Apparently I made the right call.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Best Play: I feel like it will go to Slave Play and I'm not here for it.

Best Musical: I guess give it to Moulin Rouge? Terrible book but it's a lot of spectacle. 

Best Book of a Musical: PLEASE not Jagged Little Pill. Can you imagine rewarding both Jeremy O. Harris AND Diablo Cody? INSUFFERABLE.

Also, just WOW. So many nominees in the play categories are LUCKY they didn't have real competition. Woof.

ETA: His role in Moulin Rouge is pretty nothing but this HAS to be the year they give the Tony to Danny Burstein, right? RIGHT!?!

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

Still, with so few options and so many categories to fill, the three musicals accounted for a whopping 41 nods: 15 for “Jagged,” 14 for “Moulin Rouge” and 12 for “Tina.” (In 2016, by contrast, “Hamilton” garnered 16 and won 11.) [...] As a result, this year’s awards may go down in history as the taken-with-a-grain-of-salt Tonys. The pandemic that shut down Broadway on March 12 meant that some of the most interesting shows of the season could not be considered: Not enough Tony voters had been to the haunting Bob Dylan musical “Girl From the North Country,” director Ivo van Hove’s radically rethought “West Side Story” or the bubblicious new musical “Six,” which was forced to shutter in previews, just as critics were pressing the “send” buttons on their reviews.

It's hard to see how you don't put an asterisk next to these Tonys. The number of nominations a show gets is particularly meaningless this year. You don't get to boast about it Jagged Little Pill or Slave Play when they needed you to fill out the nominations.

If she can secure the win, the one person I'd definitely leave out is Adrienne Warren as she was already a competitive favorite early into the season.

http://bway.ly/gl71fr#https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/the-2020-tony-nominations-have-been-announced-and-theyre-the-weirdest-ever/2020/10/15/884dd802-0efe-11eb-8074-0e943a91bf08_story.html

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

It's hard to see how you don't put an asterisk next to these Tonys.

It's like bragging about how many medals the host country won in the 1980 or 1984 Olympics; it's rather meaningless when half of the world didn't show up. 

• Love 1

2020 Olivier winners:

Mastercard Best New Musical: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Actor in a Musical: Sam Tutty (Dear Evan Hansen)

Best Actress in a Musical: Miriam-Teak Lee (& Juliet)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical: David Bedella (& Juliet)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Musical: Cassidy Janson (& Juliet)

Best Original Score or New Orchestrations: Dear Evan Hansen - Music and Lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, Orchestration by Alex Lacamoire

American Airlines Best New Play: Leopoldstadt

Noël Coward Award for Best Entertainment or Comedy Play: Emilia

Best Actor: Andrew Scott (Present Laughter)

Best Actress: Sharon D. Clarke (Death Of A Salesman)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Adrian Scarborough (Leopoldstadt)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Indira Varma (Present Laughter)

Sir Peter Hall Award for Best Director: Marianne Elliott and Miranda Cromwell (Death Of A Salesman)

White Light Award for Best Lighting Design: Paule Constable (The Ocean At The End Of The Lane)

Royal Albert Hall Award for Best Sound Design: Emma Laxton (Emilia)

Best Costume Design: Joanna Scotcher (Emilia)

Blue-I Theatre Technology Award for Best Set Design: Bob Crowley (Mary Poppins)

Best New Dance Production: Ingoma by Mthuthuzeli November (Ballet Black)

Outstanding Achievement in Dance: Sara Baras (Ballet Flamenco)

Best Theatre Choreographer: Matthew Bourne and Stephen Mear (Mary Poppins)

Magic Radio Best Musical Revival: Fiddler On The Roof

Cunard Best Revival: Cyrano De Bergerac

Best Family Show: The Worst Witch

Outstanding Achievement in an Affiliate Theatre: Baby Reindeer at Bush Theatre

Best New Opera Production: Billy Budd

Outstanding Achievement in Opera: The Children’s Ensemble for their performance in Noye’s Fludde at Theatre Royal Stratford East

• Love 1

West End Production of Olivier-Winning Emilia Will Stream Online in November

An archived recording of the West End production of Morgan Lloyd Malcolm's Emilia will be streamed online.

With a pay-what-you-can model, viewers will be able to contribute as little as 1 pound to see the piece, which was taped in London during its run at the West End's Vaudeville Theatre. Proceeds from the recording will be shared across the entire team from the 2019 production. The piece will be streamed November 10-24, with caption and audio described performances available.

The show tells the story of Emilia Bassano, Renaissance poet, polemicist and contemporary of Shakespeare. Some believe she is the "dark lady" of the sonnets. The production won three Olivier Awards, including Best Entertainment or Comedy Play.

Directed by Nicole Charles, the West End cast is composed of Nadia Albina, Anna Andresen, Christina Bloom, Jackie Clune, Saffron Coomber, Lauren Drennan, Eva Fontaine, Cora Kirk, Adelle Leonce, Jenni Maitland, Clare Perkins, Carolyn Pickles, Sarah Seggari, Sophie Stone, Samantha Sutherland, Rosanna Ter-Berg, Charity Wakefield, Amanda Wilkin and Tanika Yearwood.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

U.K. Lockdown Halts Reopening of London Shows

• As the coronavirus infection rate in the U.K. continues to rise, the country readies for a month-long lockdown November 5–December 2.
  • London's National Theatre began performances of its first in-person production since the COVID-19 shutdown, the solo show Death of England: Delroy, on October 21. Originally scheduled to run through November 28, the play will now end November 4.
  • Other affected shows: Six (which was to start November 14 at the Lyric Theatre), The Play That Goes Wrong (which had planned a November 19 opening at the Duchess), The Show Must Go On! (an all-star concert celebration of several West End shows scheduled for November 11–15), and Everybody's Talking About Jamie (scheduled to resume November 28 at the Apollo). The latter has moved its first performance to December 12.
  • Some West End productions, such as the holiday engagement of Les Misérables—The Staged Concert at the Sondheim Theatre, have start dates after the lockdown.

A bunch of Broadway people have been cast in The Gilded Age, an HBO period drama from Downton Abby's Julian Fellowes.

As previously announced, two-time Tony winners Christine Baranski and Cynthia Nixon will star.

According to Deadline, newly added to the roster as recurring guest stars are Tony winners Audra McDonald, Kelli O'Hara, Donna Murphy, Debra Monk, Michael Cerveris, Katie Finneran, and Celia Keenan-Bolger, as well as Tony nominees Kristine Nielsen and John Douglas Thompson.

Rounding out the company are Tony nominees Carrie C*** and Denée Benton, plus Morgan Spector, Louisa Jacobson, Taissa Farmiga, Blake Ritson, Simon Jones, Harry Richardson, Thomas Cocquerel, Jack Gilpiin, and Jeanne Tripplehorn.

The nine-part limited series will follow Marian Brook, the daughter of a Southern general who, upon being orphaned, moves to New York City to live with her aunts. Baranski and Nixon play aristocrat Agnes van Rhijn and her decidedly less affluent sister Ava Brook.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A bunch of Broadway people have been cast in The Gilded Age, an HBO period drama from Downton Abby's Julian Fellowes.

As previously announced, two-time Tony winners Christine Baranski and Cynthia Nixon will star.

According to Deadline, newly added to the roster as recurring guest stars are Tony winners Audra McDonald, Kelli O'Hara, Donna Murphy, Debra Monk, Michael Cerveris, Katie Finneran, and Celia Keenan-Bolger, as well as Tony nominees Kristine Nielsen and John Douglas Thompson.

Rounding out the company are Tony nominees Carrie C*** and Denée Benton, plus Morgan Spector, Louisa Jacobson, Taissa Farmiga, Blake Ritson, Simon Jones, Harry Richardson, Thomas Cocquerel, Jack Gilpiin, and Jeanne Tripplehorn.

The nine-part limited series will follow Marian Brook, the daughter of a Southern general who, upon being orphaned, moves to New York City to live with her aunts. Baranski and Nixon play aristocrat Agnes van Rhijn and her decidedly less affluent sister Ava Brook.

Okay, I think my mouth started watering when I read that. Audra and Donna and Michael, oh my! And so many more!

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, angora said:

Okay, I think my mouth started watering when I read that. Audra and Donna and Michael, oh my! And so many more!

When I saw the cast list, the first thing I thought was that it will be unforgivable if they don't come up with some reason to let them sing at least once. I don't care if it's a Christmas carol at a party. I just can't comprehend having this many amazing people in the cast and not having them sing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Broadway Cares fundraiser to air on NBC

Mean Girls Tony nominee Tina Fey will host One Night Only: The Best of Broadway, which will air December 10 at 8 PM ET on NBC. Celebrating the resilient Broadway community, the two-hour special will benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

Cast members from several Broadway productions including Ain’t Too Proud–The Life and Times of The Temptations, Chicago, Jagged Little Pill, Diana: The Musical, Jersey Boys, Mean Girls, and Rent will perform. 

Kelly Clarkson, Brett Eldredge, Patti LaBelle, Annaleigh Ashford, Lance Bass, Kristen Bell, Ron Cephas Jones, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Peter Gallagher, Josh Groban, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sean Hayes, Nathan Lane, Camryn Manheim, Alanis Morissette, Jerry O’Connell, Leslie Odom Jr., Billy Porter, John Stamos, Aaron Tveit, Blair Underwood, Vanessa Williams, and Susan Kelechi Watson are scheduled to appear.

• Love 2

I'm on a bit of a R&H Cinderella kick lately. Had no idea Rebecca Luker did the Broadway show. Was she Victoria Clarke's alternate or successor?

Also, I had no idea the Whitney/Brandy soundtrack had never been released. It's a classic film to so many. Apparently their labels couldn't agree on terms or percentages or something. So dumb.

Interestingly, on YouTube there's an audio that seems to be the linked studio track of "Impossible" that has them belting that great last note...but stopping whole bar earlier than they do in the actual film!

Am I crazy or are the endings of these two different?

Edit: Wait, I remember hearing in a youtube essay about the movie that when they were in studio recording that song, they'd exhausted Whitney's vocals and didn't actually get her belting the last note until the mix session afterwards, when she hit it effortlessly. Not that that accounts for Brandy also holding the note longer too. Maybe they spliced different takes together? I don't know.

Edited by DisneyBoy
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm on a bit of a R&H Cinderella kick lately. Had no idea Rebecca Luker did the Broadway show. Was she Victoria Clarke's alternate or successor?

Also, I had no idea the Whitney/Brandy soundtrack had never been released. It's a classic film to so many. Apparently their labels couldn't agree on terms or percentages or something. So dumb.

Interestingly, on YouTube there's an audio that seems to be the linked studio track of "Impossible" that has them belting that great last note...but stopping whole bar earlier than they do in the actual film!

Am I crazy or are the endings of these two different?

Edit: Wait, I remember hearing in a youtube essay about the movie that when they were in studio recording that song, they'd exhausted Whitney's vocals and didn't actually get her belting the last note until the mix session afterwards, when she hit it effortlessly. Not that that accounts for Brandy also holding the note longer too. Maybe they spliced different takes together? I don't know.

I saw Rebecca in it and she was her typical wonderful self and from what I recall it was a temporary gig while Victoria was doing another role.

• Love 1

Such a good question. I mean, come on....who doesn't need some Whitney right now?

If her estate is looking to generate income, how about instead of creepy hologram "concerts" that make me question people's sanity (because really now???) they get the wheels turning on releasing this soundtrack? Or getting Disney+ to feature the film?

Brandy's still alive, seemed to have a good experience with it...and Whitney apparently was always disappointed this soundtrack never got released. What's the hold-up?

....but yeah, anyone have any clue why the note is longer in the film than in the studio session?

• Love 2