Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Their Last Bow

I want to re-watch also but since WCBS in New York didn't show the finale except for the last 15 minutes! and I was only able to see it away from home I am hoping CBS has pity on us fans and re-runs the finale with a little more than 2 days warning so I can Tivo it here.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2019 at 6:32 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Also,  why does anyone think this show had any "shout-outs" to "House"? Was there an actor connection I missed?

paigow, I'm sure you meant to say that you matriculated at Hudson University!

Ironically, I think this show had a couple Law & Order: Criminal Intent shout outs, in that two former cast members, Kathryn Erbe and Eric Bogosian, were guest stars. Not because of that, necessarily, as actors from other shows guest starring is very common, but Erbe's Alexandra Eames was the Watson cop character to Vincent D'Onofrio's Sherlockian Robert Goren, whom Dick Wolf based Goren on and has said so. 

Bogosian played their police captain in the show's later years.

Goren even had his Moriarty in Nicole Wallace played by Olivia D'Abo.

So casting may have made the connection?

The Hudson University quip above reminded me how it was basically the portal to hell for the Law & Order franchise. LOL! Go to Hudson University and either become a criminal, or be raped and/or murdered. Sherlock and Joan would have been plenty busy just investigating there alone.

The above makes me wonder just how many shows/books/movies/whatever have used Sherlock Holmes and Watson as inspiration, if not the actual characters themselves, as this show did...

I mainly just lurk in the forum, but while the fake-out funeral scared me a bit, I ultimately was satisfied with the ending. No spitting on the audience, which I welcome! (Looking at YOU even today, How I Met Your Mother!) I'm glad the show ended on an up note. No small feat in today's TV climate, where dark seems to be the "in" thing.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I mainly just lurk in the forum, but while the fake-out funeral scared me a bit, I ultimately was satisfied with the ending. No spitting on the audience, which I welcome! (Looking at YOU even today, How I Met Your Mother!) I'm glad the show ended on an up note. No small feat in today's TV climate, where dark seems to be the "in" thing.

Ha, Wendy, I was mentally comparing this finale to that of my last two favorite shows, one being Law and Order Criminal Intent and the other LeverageL and O CI had what I'd call a "satisfying" ending, with a decent case and some of Eames' famous wit returning, and a nice walk off of Goren/Eames, though I could have done without the Goren analysis scenes Warren Leight had to drag in 🙂    Still a good ending.

Leverage, I won't go into detail for those who haven't seen it, though I will say

Spoiler

there is a major fakeout

, it did have a good final episode that the producers had planned from season one, and certainly had a dramatic conclusion, but I will say that Elementary had the best episode of the three, in spite of having to rewrite the show's conclusion after being unexpectedly renewed!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Also a guest star on this show at Mycroft's ex-fiancee.

There were a lot of guest stars who came from other crime shows.  I don't know if it was planned but it was interesting.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

There were a lot of guest stars who came from other crime shows.  I don't know if it was planned but it was interesting.

The other reason for this is that most of the aforementioned crime shows were shot in NYC. A lot of TV shows do not shoot exclusively in NYC anymore, but Elementary and the L&O shows did. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

this show had a couple Law & Order: Criminal Intent shout outs, in that two former cast members, Kathryn Erbe and Eric Bogosian, were guest stars. Not because of that, necessarily, as actors from other shows guest starring is very common, but Erbe's Alexandra Eames was the Watson cop character to Vincent D'Onofrio's Sherlockian Robert Goren, whom Dick Wolf based Goren on and has said so. 

Bogosian played their police captain in the show's later years.

Now I'm wondering if D'Onofrio was ever offered a part on Elementary.

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Someone above also pointed out, as I had forgotten, Olivia D'Abo also appeared as Mycroft's ex-fiancé. So I am guessing someone on Elementary was a fan of L&O: CI.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I mentioned either here or on Previously, or its earlier version, that I wished he would come on Elementary, he would have been a great guest star.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2019 at 11:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

Sherlock: We are opposite magnetic poles, repellent to each other.....

Goren as Odin: [Snorts loudly, then laughs loudly and uncontrollably]

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2019 at 1:02 AM, roseha said:
On 8/27/2019 at 10:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

I mentioned either here or on Previously, or its earlier version, that I wished he would come on Elementary, he would have been a great guest star.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:51 AM, paigow said:

Sherlock: We are opposite magnetic poles, repellent to each other.....

Goren as Odin: [Snorts loudly, then laughs loudly and uncontrollably]

Maybe there were concerns that D'Onofrio would literally chew the brownstone scenery/props, but a true cameo (like 5-second, man-on-the-street sighting of D'Onofrio) would have been cool/fun —albeit a departure from the style of the show.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • LOL 1

The two things I think I enjoyed the most:

1.  The headstone being a "break in case of emergency" model.

2.  Joan remodeling and redecorating like crazy, but keeping the $800 paper lamp (yes, I looked for it specifically).

• Love 1

Did they say who inherits Moreland Holmes's businesses, etc.?  There are probably some things that Sherlock wouldn't want to be involved in.  I vaguely recall something about Moriarty but I don't know how she connects.

48 minutes ago, Driad said:

Did they say who inherits Moreland Holmes's businesses, etc.?  There are probably some things that Sherlock wouldn't want to be involved in.  I vaguely recall something about Moriarty but I don't know how she connects.

In a previous season, Morland and Sherlock settled his affairs as a precaution because of Moriarity's threats. Sherlock only wanted the brownstone (which he bequeaths to Joan) and he asks that the rest goes to charity. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Athena said:

Sherlock only wanted the brownstone (which he bequeaths to Joan) and he asks that the rest goes to charity. 

Thank you.  Presumably Moreland had employees who were capable (I'm trying not to say "good") to handle the untangling of his rather complicated businesses.  

What charities might Sherlock choose, besides helping turtles and homeless people?

On 9/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, Driad said:

What charities might Sherlock choose, besides helping turtles and homeless people?

Maybe helping human trafficking victims in the sex trade....he is an ethical consumer - similar to fair trade coffee / tea etc.....

• Love 2
On 8/16/2019 at 6:29 PM, possibilities said:

I also thought it was a bit ridiculous for Joan to be nervous about whether Marcus would take them back. C'mon! Since when has Joan been trembling and insecure about their working options? Never. But they felt the need to diminish her in order to build Sherlock up. Sad.

I didn’t think that was the issue.  I thought that she worried that he wouldn’t let her back because he was worried about her health and was too protective.  That’s why Sherlock had the email.

• Love 4

Late to this topic, but I binge watched the back half of the season recently.

Great finale. I loved the headstone signal - and that cemetery fakeout was a bit annoying, but the last lines of the series were great.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:49 AM, call me ishmael said:

I didn’t think that was the issue.  I thought that she worried that he wouldn’t let her back because he was worried about her health and was too protective.  That’s why Sherlock had the email.

That is also how I interpreted it.

Rewatched the finale today-and had tears in my eyes (again!).  I miss this series and the relationships amongst the main characters.  Still didn't like the funeral fake-out at the end, but otherwise this was an exceptional episode and finale in my opinion.

• Love 4

THEY GOT ME! After all the switcheroos in the course of this series, I should have seen it coming. And I did, briefly, consider that the funeral might have been Jamie's, except for McNally's remarks. All I have to say is that I'm so glad I was wrong? Was prepared to hate this show like I've never hated any show before. In the end, this was very very sweet if unrealistic.

• Love 3