Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Their Last Bow

It’s the official episode summary provided by the show. I don’t think they’re typically considered spoilers. The wording is also interesting and makes me question whether the person actually appears. 

• Love 5

For anyone in the US, there is preseason NFL football scheduled to delay the planned start of the finale!

I won't be home so I have scheduled a long manual recording on my Tivo.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

SERIES FINALE!

Promo:

Original air date: 8/15/19

Honestly I did wonder if that was part of Sherlock's plan after his "death". There was that deal in place and it always seemed like that person would do something if any harm ever came to Sherlock.  Maybe all three or four conspired together to take down Odin?  

8 hours ago, roseha said:

For anyone in the US, there is preseason NFL football scheduled to delay the planned start of the finale!

I won't be home so I have scheduled a long manual recording on my Tivo.

I'm in the NYC area and saw a promotion that WPIX (11) will be carrying the regular CBS line-up. 

This freaking show! I am writing this through the tears. I will miss my consulting detectives. And Captain Bell. 

At one point I thought they were trying to make us believe there was some off scene shenanigans and Arthur was their child. And I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. Then the real reveal came and the hug and the staying and the feels. I lost it. So good. Thank you show for a great wrap up 

Edited by Kanner
  • Love 18

A bit sweet, a bit somber, and a bit silly.  On the whole I liked it.  It was good to avoid a convoluted case and spend time with the characters.  I'm so glad that to the end they kept these relationships about friendship.

I liked the publication of the Casebook of Sherlock Holmes.  Another nod was Marcus's poisoning case, which appeared to be a reference to The Adventure of the Dying Detective.

I did miss Clyde and Alfredo.  I wish they wouldn't namecheck Moriarty in a synopsis when she doesn't appear; it reminds me why I try to avoid them.  I also think it's a bit sudden for Det. Bell to be a Captain.  However, it was a nice send off.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

"As long as we're together, what does it matter?"  Probably the best line to end the series on.

Yes, I'll give you that was a great ending line, but I will probably always prefer the season 6 finale.

15 minutes ago, aemom said:

Thank GOD we got Joan with her dark hair back.  I love that haircut - she looks fantastic in it.

Thank you show for never putting them together romantically.  I love their relationship.  It was unique on TV.

Yes, loved Joan's short dark hair and loved the platonic hug. 

Thank you show, for being something I could be comfortable with and relate to.

Heh, I too would have chided Sherlock for spending $500 on not-dead-Moriarty's grave-side flowers --although they looked wonderful and appropriate -- especially since for a moment we were supposed to think they were for Joan. 

6 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

It was good to avoid a convoluted case and spend time with the characters. 

Also true.

• Love 9

Pretty good ending.  I loved that we got so many ACD references.   I loved the tweed herringbone coat Sherlock wore when he visited Gregson and the almost deer stalker was good.  I didn't like Joan's redecorating the brownstone, but I did think it was funny that her bedroom still looked the same.  Disappointed that we didn't get a Morland's alive reveal and that nothing was said about the Holmes family money.  Wasn't everything supposed to go to Joan if Sherlock died?  What'd she do with all that money??

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Disappointed that we didn't get a Morland's alive reveal 

I think it's appropriate that Morland really was dead
--for a number of reasons, including so as not to cheapen that Sherlock, Joan, and Moriarty were alive, and also because he is a gentleman of a certain older age.

14 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

and [disappointed] that nothing was said about the Holmes family money.  Wasn't everything supposed to go to Joan if Sherlock died?  What'd she do with all that money??

Now that you mention it, I like to imagine that Joan used a lot of the Holmes money to endow foundations to benefit orphans and addicts.

• Love 7

A finale worthy of the immortal character Sherlock Holmes, of whom I've been a fan for over a half-century. 

I really wish this show could continue, be resurrected, as it were, to the surprise and delight of us aficionados, rather like its eponymous hero. 

(I can see Sherlock's spending $500 for the fake-out flowers display, but why the risky actual appearance at a grave he believed empty? Unless it's where he had arranged to meet the NSA chief.)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

I wasn’t sure where this was going at the start of the episode, but that ended beautifully. Just —

• Joan’s clothes (as always)
  • Marcus as captain
  • Adorable Arthur (and Sherlock’s equally adorable greeting to him)
  • Gregson being his calm, wise self (his comment about loving someone enough to allow them the choice to be with you applied to both Sherlock and Joan, introspect)
  •  The way Sherlock’s voice caught when he confronted Joan about letting him leave, and then him hugging her despite her protests
  • The perfect last line

I would have liked to have seen Moriarty again, but I wouldn’t sacrifice these final scenes for her. I’m plenty happy with what we got. I stayed up past my bedtime to watch my recording — totally worth it. (Hope I still think so in the morning.)

• Love 21
15 hours ago, Alistaire said:

You’re not the only one, and, yes, I think the boy’s parentage was intentionally ambiguous.

I'm sure Arthur is adopted. He's at least six and it's been just three years since the last episode. An episode a couple of seasons ago involved Joan wanting to adopt, didn't it?

A fitting series wrap-up. All good things, etc. Dang, the title theme playing as Sherlock and Joan meet with Captain Bell -- the game is afoot, and we can't be in on the chase!

Edited by Bobbin
Extraneous word
  • Love 16
55 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

I'm sure Arthur is adopted. He's at least six and it's been just three years since the last episode. An episode a couple of seasons ago involved Joan wanting to adopt, didn't it?

A fitting series wrap-up. All good to things, etc. Dang, the title theme playing as Sherlock and Joan meet with Captain Bell -- the game is afoot, and we can't be in on the chase!

They said he was adopted on the show. I forget who actually mentioned it but something was said about Joan adopting him. 

• Love 3

Well,  feeling kind of ambivalent about the ending. I was surprised by the 3 year jump, & after spending so much of the season on Reichenbach, just saying he was convicted & going to jail is kind of crap IMO. I think they needed to make the ending 2 episodes, not try to jam everything into one.

• Love 6

Sniff... I don't want it to end!

All in all, I thought it was a pretty good series finale, although I did feel like they left the door slightly open if they ever do a TV movie or a possible revival (because that is happening more and more often) down the line, with Moriarty getting name-checked and her operation thriving.  Not to mention McNally still popping in and out of the shadows, who is someone I totally don't trust anymore.  But if this is the true end, I'm find with it.  Glad Bell is Captain, Gregson retires and at least got to have a few good years with Paige, and Sherlock and Joan are back together doing what they do best: solving crazy-ass cases!

Even though it might not be a romantic one, I'm glad Gregson used to word "love" to describe what Sherlock and Joan feel for each other, because that really is what they have.  Again, it might be different from the norm (for TV land, at least), but it truly is an unbreakable bond between the two.

Little bit surprised that Odin was basically brought down off screen.  Thought for sure he was the one behind everything at first.  I'm guessing he never made bail at least, because I'd imagine he would have had the resources to get the hell out of the country in those three years.

I'm guessing Clyde might still be in London with Kitty, so hopefully he'll make a trip back to NYC soon.  Bummed we didn't get a final Alfredo appearance though.

Overall, I'll miss this show, but I'm glad we got seven seasons and over 150 episodes of it.  I still remember when it first came out and some (understandably) thought it might fall on its face, but I think it ended up being a very interesting adaptation of a famous series and its characters.  Not perfect, of course, but there was never really a moment where I felt the show lost its way, and it was truly sold through and through.  Congrats to everyone involved, but special recognition to Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, who really made Sherlock Holmes and Joan Watson their own, and have become one of my favorite pairs in quite some time.  I'll truly miss this show and its characters.  And Joan's outfits, of course! 

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

What are we supposed to do now for a Sherlock fix?😞

I highly recommend Miss Sherlock, a brilliant Japanese adaptation wherein Sherlock and Watson are both female characters. Their relationship is as wonderful as the Sherlock/Joan relationship on our beloved Elementary. Watch the trailer here.

Thoughts on the finale which I stayed up to watch (I very rarely watch live TV but I felt I had to make an exception and watch the finale in real time):

Thank you to the poster who said Joan's kid was named Arthur in honor of ACD. Of course! That was perfect.

Definitely bawled my eyes out during the last 15 minutes of the episode and I regret nothing.

The Sherlock and Joan relationship was showcased perfectly and THIS is how you write a beautiful relationship between a man and a woman without it turning into a sexual relationship. Elementary is proof that you can make a compelling show and not have the male and female characters be involved. It all comes down to how you write said characters and from the very beginning, this show has excelled in adding in so many layers to this relationship and it has paid off many times over during the show's run.

The hug was beautiful and that's when the tears started to flow. I was ready to lose it when we saw the coffin but thank God it was a misdirect. I should have known! I'm happy Joan is cancer-free and has Arthur and now has Sherlock back in her life. The two of them co-parenting Arthur in their own unique way makes me smile.

Captain Bell definitely has a nice ring to it. Loved seeing Gregson as well and how he asked Sherlock why he's leaving if the one person he loves the most is in NY. Yeah, I teared up during this part, too.

The only thing that I was disappointed with and this has everything to do with getting my hopes up that Moriarty would somehow make an appearance. For all the times they mentioned her name, I really thought she would make a brief appearance. Guess they couldn't get Natalie back at all or maybe her schedule didn't allow her to appear on the show. This is why we should all lower our expectations, kids, because they only lead to disappointment.

Thank you to this show for seven absolutely amazing years. It has been a fantastic ride and I'm going to miss the hell out of this show, for sure. I don't think we'll ever get another relationship on TV similar to Joan and Sherlock's relationship. That's the one thing I will surely miss the most.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I'm sure Arthur is adopted. He's at least six and it's been just three years since the last episode.

They said he was adopted. But he can't be six because at one point, Joan said that he was at nursery school,  so he's younger than kindergarten age at least.

• Love 3

So many of the shows I have been invested in have ended or are coming to a close. I am just hoping that the ones still to come bring me the satisfaction this one did. (With the understanding that I don't think I could be satisfied with the end of Supernatural just because Dean Winchester will be leaving my TV screen 😪).

I will also second all the comments about Joan's clothing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, unicorn23 said:

I highly recommend Miss Sherlock, a brilliant Japanese adaptation wherein Sherlock and Watson are both female characters. Their relationship is as wonderful as the Sherlock/Joan relationship on our beloved Elementary. Watch the trailer here.

Thoughts on the finale which I stayed up to watch (I very rarely watch live TV but I felt I had to make an exception and watch the finale in real time):

Thank you to the poster who said Joan's kid was named Arthur in honor of ACD. Of course! That was perfect.

Definitely bawled my eyes out during the last 15 minutes of the episode and I regret nothing.

The Sherlock and Joan relationship was showcased perfectly and THIS is how you write a beautiful relationship between a man and a woman without it turning into a sexual relationship. Elementary is proof that you can make a compelling show and not have the male and female characters be involved. It all comes down to how you write said characters and from the very beginning, this show has excelled in adding in so many layers to this relationship and it has paid off many times over during the show's run.

The hug was beautiful and that's when the tears started to flow. I was ready to lose it when we saw the coffin but thank God it was a misdirect. I should have known! I'm happy Joan is cancer-free and has Arthur and now has Sherlock back in her life. The two of them co-parenting Arthur in their own unique way makes me smile.

Captain Bell definitely has a nice ring to it. Loved seeing Gregson as well and how he asked Sherlock why he's leaving if the one person he loves the most is in NY. Yeah, I teared up during this part, too.

The only thing that I was disappointed with and this has everything to do with getting my hopes up that Moriarty would somehow make an appearance. For all the times they mentioned her name, I really thought she would make a brief appearance. Guess they couldn't get Natalie back at all or maybe her schedule didn't allow her to appear on the show. This is why we should all lower our expectations, kids, because they only lead to disappointment.

Thank you to this show for seven absolutely amazing years. It has been a fantastic ride and I'm going to miss the hell out of this show, for sure. I don't think we'll ever get another relationship on TV similar to Joan and Sherlock's relationship. That's the one thing I will surely miss the most.

If you are interested in seeing this show it is on On-Demand from HBO.

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

So I guess Moreland really is sincerely dead.

Yes, but it's been four years now so I've come to terms with it.

Seems like McNally is basically a good guy even though he was led astray by Reichenbach.

Loved Marcus becoming captain after Gregson retired.  Also liked Marcus punching Sherlock - he did deserve it.

I was so upset when I thought Joan had died.  Fortunately I realized pretty quickly it wasn't her funeral.  For one thing, lots more people would have been there.

It would have been nice to see Clyde but I know he is either living with Kitty or already back at the brownstone.  We haven't seen or heard of Alfredo for so long I would have been surprised if he did show up.

Also wasn't surprised or disappointed that Moriarty didn't actually appear.

Nearly forgot, Bell is now a husband and father; Sherlock seemed so pleased for him.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5

It was a good ending, and important to show two people that love each other without it being romantic or sexual.  Thank you CBS and show people for keeping it that way.  My heart stopped for a second at the funeral too. I hope Miller and Liu find another project to work together on, they have excellent chemistry.

• Love 11

All the fake-outs were driving me crazy -- Joan at Sherlock's gravesite, Sherlock at "Joan's"/Jamie's.  I loved that Odin's evil ears did not darken my door again, but I also didn't like that the NSA was actually the bigger bad behind Odin's technology.  We wasted too much time with Moriarty's flunky at the opera (had we ever seen her before?) and not enough time was spent on Marcus' family situation.  I did call that Marcus would punch Sherlock upon seeing him in the flesh.  Loved the reference to Joan still having that godawful blonde hair, as well as her stylish black wig at the end.    Of course Joan would remodel the brownstone, but leave parts of it as before, in memory of Sherlock.

I'm so glad I had such a good show to watch from beginning to end; POI and this were my last ones.

• Love 6

Near the beginning, when Joan went and demolished Sherlock's headstone, I had no idea what was going on.  I thought she must have hated Sherlock, somehow connected to the lawyer showing up with a package from Moriarty.  Then, when Sherlock did show up, he says "Someone is trying to kill you?  Maybe I can help.", sounding like he meant he would help the person trying to kill her.  I thought it was going to be a dreadful finale.  But it all turned around and it was great.

It did amuse me that Sherlock thought everyone believed he was dead when so many people knew, or figured out, that he was still alive.

I didn't mind not seeing the whole three years of Reichenbach's trial but a little glimpse of him being led away to jail for a 148 year sentence would have been nice. Or was there one, and I missed it, on the news show where they interviewed Joan?

17 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I did miss Clyde and Alfredo.  I wish they wouldn't namecheck Moriarty in a synopsis when she doesn't appear; it reminds me why I try to avoid them.  I also think it's a bit sudden for Det. Bell to be a Captain.  However, it was a nice send off.

Definitely. As I said in another thread, if it was money, I would have contributed to a Go Fund Me to get ND on screen in the finale.

17 hours ago, aemom said:

Thank GOD we got Joan with her dark hair back.  I love that haircut - she looks fantastic in it.

Wasn't that a wig due to going bald from chemotherapy?

17 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Wasn't everything supposed to go to Joan if Sherlock died?  What'd she do with all that money??

Well, we know she didn't invest in any takeout places. I guess we should wonder how much Arthur's martial arts lessons cost.

15 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I think there was a specific line Sherlock told Gregson that he didn't contact Joan b/c he heard that the adoption had gone through. And Joan's adoption storyline took up a good number of episodes in season 6. There was even a picture of Joan and Sherlock pushing a pram which looked like it could be one of the final shots of the series before they got a season 7.

13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Even though it might not be a romantic one, I'm glad Gregson used to word "love" to describe what Sherlock and Joan feel for each other, because that really is what they have.  Again, it might be different from the norm (for TV land, at least), but it truly is an unbreakable bond between the two.

Absolutely this. You see TV PTB, you can have a platonic yet loving relationship b/w two main characters, even if they are of the opposite sex. (Because we've seen many shows where main characters are the same sex and don't end up in a relationship.)

All in all, a wonderful finale. Good to see Gregson and Marcus happy. Knowing that Joan is cancer-free and that she and Sherlock will still be working on cases (can't wait for Joan's next book on their cases - I'm sure Sherlock will do something that she will need to get revenge on him for), and I just must assume that Clyde is having his own detective adventures. 

Edited by Loandbehold
To get Arthur's name correct.
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Steven Roussos said:

Yeah, FU to WKRC in Cincinnati. Finale of one of the best series EVER shunted off to 1:37 AM Sat (after midnite today, Friday.)

That SUCKS. The episode is available for purchase on Amazon now (without commercials) if you don't want to wait.

Did anyone in NYC watch yet, was the whole show run on delay as I hoped?

Really CBS should have had the respect to schedule the series finale on another. night if they have to have preseason football.

• Love 3

I kept worrying that something would go wrong, but I ended up loving the finale. Happy endings for Sherlock, Joan, Marcus, and Gregson, and after several fake deaths, almost real deaths, and time jumps, Joan and Sherlock are back to doing their thing, consulting for the NYPD and being together. What a great line to end the show on. "As long as we're together, what does it matter?" And, maybe best of all, Joan finally went back to her regular hair color, and the short cut looks great! 

Lots of fun shout outs to the books, most notably Joan writing her own book about her adventures with Sherlock, and her son being named Arthur, and I admit I got a bit worried about Joan for a second, but I was thrilled to find out that she was fine. 

So did Clyde also fake his death to run off (slowly) to Europe to solve pet based international crimes? "You wont get away with your illegal animal trafficking this time, Lord Snuggles!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

The series ended how I knew it would end, but not how I wanted it to end.  I completely missed that Bell is now a husband and father and did squee with delight when I saw he was captain.  Completely missed Arthur being an homage to ACD.   There was nanosecond of me believing Joan was dead then said "no, that wasn't in the books."  Was there ever a resolution re: Hannah killing <I forget his name>?  And who shot Gregson?

I confess the stifled romantic in me wanted the series to end with a Holmes/Watson wedding with all our favorites (including Pam the snow plow driver and Clyde as ring bearer) in attendance, then an insinuation that the wedding and subsequent adoption of Arthur was so the Holmes name would continue. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

Wasn't that a wig due to going bald from chemotherapy?

It was, and I'm glad she didn't get a blonde wig. The short, dark cut is LL's current style and color.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I didn't mind not seeing the whole three years of Reichenbach's trial but a little glimpse of him being led away to jail for a 148 year sentence would have been nice. Or was there one, and I missed it, on the news show where they interviewed Joan?

They showed him being led away in an orange jumpsuit during the interview. 

1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

We wasted too much time with Moriarty's flunky at the opera (had we ever seen her before?)

Yes, several seasons ago Sherlock/Joan/both had approached her in a coffee shop she managed as a front for Moriarty. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roseha said:

Did anyone in NYC watch yet, was the whole show run on delay as I hoped?

No. I was livid! They picked up the last fifteen minutes or so (starting with the scene where Sherlock and Gregson are talking, followed by the emotional Sherlock-Joan hug scene). So I watched the ending with no context of what was going on, and will watch the rest on CBS's website when I get the chance. Don't know why they couldn't have just shown it in its entirety and bumped everything back like they used to with national football broadcasts. And whoever said it was going to be on WPIX instead-- wasn't there, either (at least not during the 10 o'clock hour).

25 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

No. I was livid! They picked up the last fifteen minutes or so (starting with the scene where Sherlock and Gregson are talking, followed by the emotional Sherlock-Joan hug scene). So I watched the ending with no context of what was going on, and will watch the rest on CBS's website when I get the chance. Don't know why they couldn't have just shown it in its entirety and bumped everything back like they used to with national football broadcasts. And whoever said it was going to be on WPIX instead-- wasn't there, either (at least not during the 10 o'clock hour).

It was WLNY channel 55 that aired the show last night. And CBS is rerunning it at 11:35 (yes, 11:35pm) on Saturday. And I don't know why CBS ran the show after football! Football always runs late, and timing of shows always get screwed up 

• Love 2

I liked it overall, but I didn't care for the death fake-out at the end, I thought that was beneath them. I did like the time jump though, and while I wasn't crazy about Joan's cancer scare I suppose it was the most efficient way to get Sherlock to stay.

My one nitpick is that initially, Sherlock thought Moriarty had tricked Joan into luring him out into the open. That being the case, you would think he would take care to stay hidden, since at that point they were still trying to keep up the ruse that he was dead. Yet when they went to meet Marcus they were just walking down the sidewalk, out in the wide open, without Sherlock in a hoody or anything. If he doesn't want anyone to know he's still alive why is he just walking around in public undisguised?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, rainsmom said:

That SUCKS. The episode is available for purchase on Amazon now (without commercials) if you don't want to wait.

Got to watch it this morning on On Demand. I loved it. Finally a finale that made sense and tugged on my heart strings. Watson survived and looked great. Smiled when she asked how her wig looked. My step-daughter is a cancer survivor and I remember how she felt when she got a beautiful wig.

• Love 6

I sincerely hope that you guys who got stuck with later viewings because of FAKE FOOTBALL THAT DOESN'T COUNT will e-mail, write (don't send Clyde, he's way too slow) and otherwise shower your local stations with complaints.  

• Love 7