Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Pitch

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, and I need to find that white top Jennie was wearing when Jason came to talk to her.  Any fashionistas recognize it?

I don’t, but I was going to comment that I’m loving Jennie’s wardrobe so far. I’ve liked almost everything she has worn! 

Edited by Lsk02
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, and I need to find that white top Jennie was wearing when Jason came to talk to her.  Any fashionistas recognize it?

Me, too! She looked great in that scene and I loved the shirt.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, OhSarah69 said:

I am surprised (is it weird to say delighted?) at the quality of acting by all the leads.  Gabrielle Carteris is a revelation - so believable and compelling - that scene with her husband was beautiful and moving.  Tori and Jennie crack me up - they are so natural and present during their scenes.  Jason is very good and shows a welcome vulnerable layer to his character.  Brian is really good - he is way underrated, I think, and has come a long way from the squirmy little creep he used to play.

Surprised? No. I think quite a few 90210 series regulars are pretty good actors. 

I just think most 90210 writing, even in the hey day, was pretty damn shallow. With some notable exceptions, that show wasn’t exactly the showcase for the best of anyone’s talent and skill. 

Hell, look at Hilary Swank.

It also helps if you followed some of their work elsewhere. Gabrielle did a lot richer work in some of the TV movies and guest work she booked during and after the show. That was definitely the case with Luke. Same with a few others.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ButIAm said:

It’s more odd to me that people who don’t like Emily Valentine were always baffled by her returns, back in the day, and apparently up to the present.

She’s arguably the most well known, impressionable guest star from the entire run. It speaks volumes that nearly 30 years later a girl who was on for a few months in season 2 and only made 2 short guest appearances later still stands out and, interestingly, still gets under folks skin.

Emily was one of Brandon’s great loves and Christine wrote shows up until season 7.

There’s nothing odd or off about her inclusion.

The only thing about her that gets under my skin are her awful hairdos 😄 

What is baffling is why we are supposed to believe she was one of Brandon's great loves?  They dated a couple times in high school, she drugged him, stalked him and almost set his float on fire before being sent away.  What about any of that makes her "the one who got away"?

That being said - I like the actress and think it's fun having her here to heckle the regulars.  Her hair still looks like shit though.

Edited by princelina
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

When Brandon and Emily reunited in San Francisco that was the first time I feel like JP ever convincingly played Brandon in love with a girl. He poured himself into scenes with CE during both S4 and S5 that frankly made it tough for me to buy him with anyone else.

And I wasn’t even a fan of Brandon with Emily during S2.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ButIAm said:

Perhaps it’s an inside nod to the fact that Christine is the only 90210er to serve behind the scenes as a show writer. She’s also a producer in real life too.

Of, ironically, reality shows.

4 hours ago, ButIAm said:

It’s more odd to me that people who don’t like Emily Valentine were always baffled by her returns, back in the day, and apparently up to the present.

She’s arguably the most well known, impressionable guest star from the entire run. It speaks volumes that nearly 30 years later a girl who was on for a few months in season 2 and only made 2 short guest appearances later still stands out and, interestingly, still gets under folks skin.

Emily was one of Brandon’s great loves and Christine wrote shows up until season 7.

I didn't realize she had been a writer.  That makes casting her as a producer not seem like stunt casting or too much of a coincidence.

Emily Valentine did make an impression in her short time on screen.  And I do like the character, but I don't personally care for Christine Elise as an actress.  She has a very flat affect and her voice and/or delivery are monotone.  

4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I always wondered if that was why they kept bringing her back...him getting her the job. Plot-wise, it made no sense that she returned to his life as some sort of possible OTP at least twice after the drugging and fire-starting shenanigans culminating in inpatient psychiatric treatment.

That could explain it.

3 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

Ian doesn't have any of the playfulness and charm he brought as Steve in the original series, but they are writing him as this cutthroat brand-obsessed jerk.  I get that he's pissed about his wife's infidelity, but he's been written as very cold toward his friends/castmates.

But Ian's not playing Steve, he's playing himself.  Maybe he really is cold toward the other cast members.

2 hours ago, desertflower said:

I’m guessing Christine Elise sent the mangled dolls, since they were left as a gift in the Fox office. But the question is, is she crazy like Emily Valentine or just having a little fun with the cast? Either way I think it’s pretty funny. 

snip for space because I really got carried away with the multi quote thingie

I’m really enjoying the show!

If it does turn out to be her who sent the dolls and they do either a crazy like Emily or a simply having fun with the cast storyline, it could be pretty awesome. 

I'm really enjoying it too.  I wish there were going to be more than 6 episodes.

• Love 2

There is still some confusion here.

This isn’t a reality show. None of these people are playing their “real” selves. This is just as scripted as the original show. I don’t think folks should be taking this all so literally. 

Christine wrote the Jeopardy episode in S5, the love potion episode in S6 and the Christmas episode in S7 when Kelly and Val are each other’s secret Santas.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ButIAm said:

Surprised? No. I think quite a few 90210 series regulars are pretty good actors. 

I just think most 90210 writing, even in the hey day, was pretty damn shallow. With some notable exceptions, that show wasn’t exactly the showcase for the best of anyone’s talent and skill. 

Hell, look at Hilary Swank.

It also helps if you followed some of their work elsewhere. Gabrielle did a lot richer work in some of the TV movies and guest work she booked during and after the show. That was definitely the case with Luke. Same with a few others. 

Agree that the writing on the original 90210 wasn't likely to bring out anyone's Oscar-winning performances.  But I'm just expressing that I personally haven't been particularly struck by the work of the other actors over the years, Luke Perry being the exception (he always had more "there", there).  Not to diminish what they've done in the intervening years at all, though, and I can't pretend I've seen everything they've done.  Just a personal preference.  For me, as another poster described above, they all seem to be better at playing themselves at the moment (granted, somewhat fictionalized version of themselves) than their characters and they all seem to be carrying some life baggage (in a good way), which has made them all more interesting for me to watch this time around.

• Love 3

Tori:  I took a bullet for you!

Gabby:  You shot the gun!

Speaking of Gabby, we went on vacation this summer with a bunch of Mr. Angeltoes' friends who are all in the same union, with one of them having a very high-up position.  This guy was pretty loaded one night and was rattling off all the names of famous people he's met because of his position (he meets many on planes because he always flies first class).  He said he met a 90210 actress at a union conference which was attended by people from all the different unions in the country and they became very good friends. My head swiveled around and I asked which actress, but he was so blitzed that he couldn't remember the name of his "very good" friend.  His wife was not and she said,"Gabrielle" and I said to him,"You know Gabrielle Carteris?!"  He said that she's very smart and very personable.  I immediately texted my daughters and one of them wanted to know when we were going to get to meet her.

• Love 10

Ha - I should have known there would be such a website and gone looking for one.  Thank you, yes, that's it.  It's out of stock at the Club Monaco stores in my area, so I can't try it on, but it's available on their website and can be returned to a store (rather than having to ship it back), so I'll have to give it a whirl - it's not often I'm struck by what someone is wearing enough to want to run out and get it for myself.

• Love 5

Wow that top looks way better on Jennie Garth than on that model. I too immediately wanted that shirt when I saw it on Jennie but I would have scrolled right on by if I just saw that on Club Monaco's website. 

7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I liked BAG when he played Derek Reese in the Sarah Conner Chronicles. 

Yes!!!!!!! 😍😍😍 Loved him in that! Loved that whole show. 

This episode was even better than the pilot, loved it. 

I really hope this gets picked up for more seasons 🤞🤞🤞

I wonder if other guest stars will show up once they start actually filming the show within the show. Like, Janet (Lindsay Price), were her and Steve still together at the end? Claire maybe? Or Gina? It would be cool if they could get Jessica Stroup on as Erin Silver since she played Erin on the other 90210 reboot. 

• Love 6

This was much better. And I was more engaged. Like others up thread said, I need more Shannen.

I thought her short scene with the sea lion was all kinds of adorable.

I will admit I 😒😒at the “execs” at Fox saying they wanted “everyone” to return for the reboot. All of Hollywood knew about Luke’s sudden and shocking death.

So is Brian’s stalker supposed to be his “son”?

I got the warm fuzzies watching Brian and Shannen talking, knowing that both were child actors on two successful shows roughly at the same time.

I know it’s shallow and even mean, but I can barely look at Tori. Her face is too...scary, what with those grotesque lips. She looks like wax. And the last time I saw her was when she was on Smallville, and I’ve never watched her reality shows.

10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know it’s shallow and even mean, but I can barely look at Tori. Her face is too...scary, what with those grotesque lips. She looks like wax. And the last time I saw her was when she was on Smallville, and I’ve never watched her reality shows.

I didn't really mind Tori's face until I saw Jennie's dream and she had her old Donna haircut. That scared me. 

Brian and Shannen were secret friends, he was the only that still said nice things about her after she got fired from the show. They might've kept up that friendship.  I do wonder if they get a season 2 if any of the other actors from the original show would be willing to play heightened versions of themselves for this show for an episode or 2. 

• Love 2

I liked the pilot episode and I enjoyed this one even more. I thought Jason's scene with Gabrielle was very well done. I also liked when Jason and Jennie were talking about her daughter. Then of course Shannon and Brian's convo was excellent too.

I'm looking forward to Shannon finally being with the rest of the gang. I know she has a bad rep, but I always liked her on original recipe BH and Charmed.

I do hope this gets picked up for another season with more episodes.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, OhSarah69 said:

Brian is really good - he is way underrated,

I was telling my brother last night that he was really good in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

edit @jillybean thanks for the link for the sweater!  Adding that to my shopping list.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 3

I’m also glad to see the young actress playing Jennie’s daughter not be a size 0, as someone mentioned upthread. It’s very annoying to see the emaciated actresses like Shenae Grimes and Anna Lynn McCord on the reboot years ago, who made a girl feel guilty every time she ate something. Regular bodies are a refreshing change. The OG 90210 girls also had non 0 sized bodies, except for Tori who was rail thin. 

I want Brian’s stalker to be an actual stalker, as opposed to an estranged son. I think it would be a more interesting storyline, tying in how stalking is easier now and still an issue with stalkers using social media to feel they have a ‘connection’ or relationship with famous stars

Edited by Kdel1079
  • Love 3

Really loving this so far. I didn't know it was only six episodes and now I'm sad because I really wanna see a lot more. This is a lot of fun. I too am looking forward to seeing Shannen back and reunited with everyone.

Ian looks amazing. I can't believe he is 55. If this were the 80s, he could be playing a love interest for one of the Golden Girls. Now you think about that!

• Love 7

Even with the slightly more dramatic tone this episode took after the pilot, I am really enjoying this show and am fully along for this ride. The cast has so much natural chemistry, I can see why their show lasted for so long! You really can tell these are people that have known each other for a really long time. 

So when does Shannon get here?! Or will we just keep cutting to her rescuing cute animals for awhile? Will we get a Charmed reference, or a reference to the Charmed reboot?! 

I especially liked the Gabby/Jason scene with her baby.

I hope we keep getting BH90210 nightmares as a running joke! So I am guessing that all of those things happened to Jenny's character on the show? Holy crap that is some seriously soapy drama!

Edited by tennisgurl

Good grief do I feel bad for Tori Spelling.

Fans have been giving her shit for her face since 1990. Long before she had her current treatments. The woman has always been damned if she does, damned if she’s doesn’t.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ButIAm said:

Good grief do I feel bad for Tori Spelling.

Fans have been giving her shit for her face since 1990. Long before she had her current treatments. The woman has always been damned if she does, damned if she’s doesn’t.

I mean, in her book, Tori said she asked her mother as a child if she was pretty. Candy said, "You will be when we get your nose fixed."

She also mentioned guys coming up to her and making neighing sounds because they were saying her face looked like a horse. I mean, it really is no wonder that woman's natural face doesn't exist anymore.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This, here? Made me 😆😆

5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, in her book, Tori said she asked her mother as a child if she was pretty. Candy said, "You will be when we get your nose fixed."

She also mentioned guys coming up to her and making neighing sounds because they were saying her face looked like a horse. I mean, it really is no wonder that woman's natural face doesn't exist anymore.

Nothing was as bad as Tori’s “whisper acting” in the last 2 seasons...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I've not had the chance to read all responses to I know I will repeat others (apologies):

1. I really am enjoying this. It's the right pace of comedy with some serious. I hope the stalker guy angle does not derail the tone. I have some concerns about that--but otherwise I'm enjoying the humor with actual story.

2. I loved the Jennie dream sequence at the beginning. It was fun to run through all the disasters Kelly had.

3. I really would like Jennie's top in the Jason scene. That was great. I also liked his wife's top when she met with the writer who apparently is the father of her child.

4. I was surprised by some of the acting. Gabbie with her husband was an honestly moving scene. I was impressed by her acting. It felt very real. The opposite of movie of the week tackles a hard subject. . .

On 8/14/2019 at 9:36 PM, kazza said:

Favorite lines (I may not have it entirely correct but I chuckled)

Ian: (about nepotism) Didn't you learn enough of a lesson being on your Dad's show?

Tori: Still here

that part and the lines where Tori mentions good money management skills not being genetic cracked me up

On 8/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, ButIAm said:

I don't see anything odd about her inclusion at all. I was happy to see here. The more people they can write into roles the better in my opinion unless they start creating horrible plot twists to make that happen. Don't get too crazy.

As far as original 90210, I never got why they brought her back as his love of his life to run into randomly in San Francisco (I think). That part was weird and seemed like a retcon--kind of like Dylan's dad no longer being dead.

• Love 5

Ian is well-preserved, indeed, but my cougar proclivities are raised by Brian Austin Green.  Grrr, he's a good looking man.  And his role here is that he's nice and a good husband and a little sad , come to me baby I'll make you happy...oh, I jest, but he is so much more tolerable than Ian or Jason.  And I dislike Christine Elise and her nasally monotone voice.  Don't speak every line through your nose!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 8/15/2019 at 11:45 AM, dvr devotee said:

I agree that this episode sucked me in better than the premiere, and the pacing just seemed better. But that first episode was necessary to set up the rest of the (very short) series. It brought the cast members together 25+ years on for a plausible reason (fan conference; while it's believable that there are individual relationships within the group, it would not be plausible that they're often getting together socially as a group of seven, especially when Shannen is off on another continent) and set up a reason for them to get together again (court), giving Tori enough time to come up with the reboot idea and to pitch the rest of them.

I think if they had this as the pilot, it would feel very confusing. That first episode set up the major storylines for the entire rest of the run.

I guess I disagree because the first episode did nothing for me, and didn't set up anything that had me feeling like this show was going anywhere.  Whereas episode 2, being focused on getting everyone together for a show seemed like a perfect place to start.  I think they could have added a few details for each character from the 1st episode, to episode 2, and would have been good to go.  It wasn't like they couldn't start this show from any point, and it is very plausible it could simply have started from Tori sitting at home, broke, saying I need to get the gang together for a show so I can make money....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I don't see anything odd about her inclusion at all. I was happy to see here. The more people they can write into roles the better in my opinion unless they start creating horrible plot twists to make that happen. Don't get too crazy.

As far as original 90210, I never got why they brought her back as his love of his life to run into randomly in San Francisco (I think). That part was weird and seemed like a retcon--kind of like Dylan's dad no longer being dead.

I think Emily's return in San Francisco is probably the most misquoted 90210 story I've ever seen.

I watched it again recently and it really does take everything that happened in S2 into account. Emily admits she loved Brandon, but Brandon didn't love her. They talk about what happened between them and how Brandon only visited her that once in the hospital. 

No claims that he's been pining after her all those years. Or acting like he was madly in love with her. They just spent a lot of time together in San Francisco and Brandon fell in love with her then. She was healthy and they both were in different places in their lives. He did have feelings for her back in the day, but it just didn't become love until season 4.

This show asks you to buy fast feelings between strangers all the time. Brandon and Emily are a lot more realistic than some of these other overnight couples. At least they did have a history before falling in love.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, ButIAm said:

>

This show asks you to buy fast feelings between strangers all the time. Brandon and Emily are a lot more realistic than some of these other overnight couples. At least they did have a history before falling in love.

fair point and I haven't rewatched that episode in a while so appreciate the context

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Was BAG stalked in real life?

Not that I've ever read, but don't forget this isn't an exact reenactment of their lives, just a heightened version of themselves and their situations. Could have been a kernel of "BAG has a grown son in real life - how can we work that in a storyline? " 

• Useful 1

How could the opening nightmare have run through so many of Kelly's traumas, but omit COKE KELLY?

Donna: Tara's stalking you!

Brandon: Diet pills, Kel!

Steve: Don't go that frat party, you'll get in a fire!

Andrea: The New Evolution is a cult!

David: Kelly was shot at LAX!

But no CokeKelly! Very bad, show!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

As someone who never watched 90210 but knows who the actors are from subsequent years (and all the publicity the show got when it was on) I am loving this reboot. I am impressed with both the acting and writing.

Also love the sets, and wonder if some of the props have a hidden meaning? In Tori's house where she has the doll house, there is a craft table behind her which makes sense, but also rolls of wrapping paper standing in the corner beside it. I wondered if that was a playful dig at Candy Spelling's infamous gift wrapping room in the Spelling mansion. 

I also loved that when the group was doing community service, everyone was wearing their safety vests but Tori's was tied under her chest like it was some kind of fashion statement. Love little details like that. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't feel sorry for her, she choose to be in a profession that is based on judgement whether it's talent or looks. I was a model when I was a kid and quit when I was 14 because the constant judging of my looks is not something I wanted to deal with. She made her own decision to be in the spotlight. Then the thing with plastic surgery is too much of it, well makes you look plastic. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't feel sorry for her, she choose to be in a profession that is based on judgement whether it's talent or looks. I was a model when I was a kid and quit when I was 14 because the constant judging of my looks is not something I wanted to deal with. She made her own decision to be in the spotlight. Then the thing with plastic surgery is too much of it, well makes you look plastic. 

Tori was born and raised in showbiz by parents who obviously placed a great deal of emphasis on looks.  Candi has had a lot of plastic surgery, too, and I suspect that, in addition to her undermining Tori's natural looks, she also raised her daughter to believe that plastic surgery was necessary for women.  Tori also made appearances on her father's shows starting when she was in elementary school and she wasn't even 18 when she was cast on 90210 so I am not so sure it was her choice to go into the business.  However, she is long past her childhood and, if she really is that insecure about her looks, she could've sought therapy long ago rather than resorting to mutilating herself with plastic surgery.  Just like her inability to live within her means, perhaps her parents didn't do a great job with helping her to be happy with her looks and to live on a budget, but she's now well beyond the age where she could've tried to develop a healthier outlook.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Just like her inability to live within her means

IIRC from "Tori and Dean," her husband Dean grew up in a average, even lower-middle-class environment. (They visited his family's house or apartment in Canada in one episode.) Given that they've been together for so long now, I have a hard time still understanding why they are still always in debt and living beyond their means - and why Tori's money problems and issues are all that seem to matter.

Along the same lines, the treatment of "Dean" in this show seems a little passive-aggressive to me! And I'm wondering what he thinks of how he's being portrayed, given that Tori is largely the driving force behind the show. It's obvious that the Priestley, Ziering, and Carteris spouses are supposed to be mostly fictional (although Mr. Gabby comes off well), and "Megan Fox" is being written sympathetically. But Ivan Sergei's character is basically Dean.

I would love if we got at least one line that referred to Facinelli as a "famous vampire" or something similar!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, Steph J said:

Not that it really matters, but why does Ian have to go so far out of his way to prove that his wife is cheating? 5 other people saw her doing it via accidental face time and could swear Affidavits about what they saw.

I think maybe it's because those are people who are friends of his so they might lie for him.  I think he needs concrete proof so it's indisputable  

On 8/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, Chaos Theory said:

If the mandatory group therapy idea that Tori/Gabrielle floated actually happens that ought to be a hoot and a half.

It's going to happen and a familiar face will be leading it.  I saw it in previews, but I won't spoil it here.  

• Love 5

I don't care if you're gay, straight or bi.  If you're married, you don't go around exploring your sexuality with other people.  So, both Jason and his wife cheated on each other. Ian's wife cheated on him.  And Tori's husband is such a jerk, I'm sure he's cheating on her. Can we really hold out any hope for BAG and his wife, the only couple that we are not absolutely sure of at least some level of infidelity?

• Love 4
On 8/16/2019 at 1:56 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Along the same lines, the treatment of "Dean" in this show seems a little passive-aggressive to me! And I'm wondering what he thinks of how he's being portrayed, given that Tori is largely the driving force behind the show.

Penance perhaps  ???

• LOL 1
On 8/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, kazza said:

The familiarity between them (and us with them) makes it so much fun. I love that it's on Wednesday nights, and the only thing that could possibly be even better would be a Melrose Place show within a show on the same night. 

Oh man...how fun would it be to have a Melrose Place reboot (not that I even remember how it ended). But that show was 🔥 

Edit: Whoops, 5 minutes after posting I realized that they did try a reboot in 2009. I feel bad that I don’t even remember that!

Edited by MeLikesTV