Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Breaking Point

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, blubld43 said:

I'm wondering what Avery means by not dressing "modestly enough" , she's wearing a burqa. 

Not familiar with Islam enough to understand what she could mean.

Even though she is covered  her outfits might be a little too form fitting? Or maybe he saw her wearing the bedsheet and told her she needed to get actual clothes and not just wear a makeshift covering? 

Edited by watchingtvaddict
Removed an extra “she”
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, blubld43 said:

I'm wondering what Avery means by not dressing "modestly enough" , she's wearing a burqa. 

Don’t some women show only their eyes or is that only in dated movies?

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yes, that's true. I have seen this on tv primarily in places like Afghanistan but it could be true in any Muslim country I suppose. Some even have veils over the eyes; I can't imagine how claustrophobic that must feel.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, RealReality said:

That's really interesting because it means that Laura and aladin could have had sex in qatar as an unmarried couples when she first went to visit and therefore they did not need to get married in like nine days so they could have sex.  

Laura has made it seem like aladin told her that in order for them to have sex, to even get a space to have sex... they'd have to be married. 

If aladin told her that they couldn't have sex even though they could it seems like he may have really wanted to get married to her to get at that money. 

I think there is a misunderstanding here: I was talking about TUNISIA, not Qatar (Tunisia is where they will go in the next episode and where is parents live).

I am sorry if I did not state that more clear in my previous post. :-(

Qatar is a different pair of shoes. I am sure that they can do, behind the walls of a private apartment, what they please, but their relationship will not be approved of in the society and probably also not by his boss (who most probably has the say in whether he can stay in Qatar or not and is the owner of the accomodation - usually, workers from Tunisia do not earn that much in Qatar to be able to afford a high class apartment...).

1 hour ago, blubld43 said:

Yes, that's true. I have seen this on tv primarily in places like Afghanistan but it could be true in any Muslim country I suppose. Some even have veils over the eyes; I can't imagine how claustrophobic that must feel.

In Syria (and many other muslim countries, but not in all of them), you will find a wide range of women clothing. From no veil at all to nicab to burka. It basically depends on how religious one is, what religious stream one follows and in what social environment they live.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, WWalter said:

In Syria (and many other muslim countries, but not in all of them), you will find a wide range of women clothing. From no veil at all to nicab to burka. It basically depends on how religious one is, what religious stream one follows and in what social environment they live.

If you search for Islamic wedding dresses, you will see that there is an enormous range in terms of modesty, head covering, even color.  Some of them are indistinguishable (to me, anyway) from what we see on SYTTD.  Maybe not Pnina-trashy, but pretty sexy.  And there are some gowns that are as modest as the ones Avery was trying on, and even tighter.  I guess the bride (and her mother) are well-aware of what is appropriate in whichever country they inhabit, and in the degree of adherence to religious limits.  I was surprised by the variety of gowns, especially the beautiful colors of some of them.

• Love 4

Whoever said in another thread, (and I tried valiantly to find it!) said Laura REALLY got the raw end of the deal with her move to Qatar and hasty marriage.  She could have gone with him to a place where unmarried couples can sleep together to try him out.  But no, she had to marry him and now she is stuck in a country where woman have fewer rights, her hubby and her have little in common, she misses her friends, her dogs and especially her son horribly (gee who would have thought?) and the sex is bad.  Ouch.

But I don't feel for one bit - she knew what she was getting into, her friends tried to warn her!

• Love 21
8 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Whoever said in another thread, (and I tried valiantly to find it!) said Laura REALLY got the raw end of the deal with her move to Qatar and hasty marriage.  She could have gone with him to a place where unmarried couples can sleep together to try him out.  But no, she had to marry him and now she is stuck in a country where woman have fewer rights, her hubby and her have little in common, she misses her friends, her dogs and especially her son horribly (gee who would have thought?) and the sex is bad.  Ouch.

But I don't feel for one bit - she knew what she was getting into, her friends tried to warn her!

So many of the Americans are know-it-alls who can’t be told anything, so it serves them right when the totally predictable befalls them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

So many of the Americans are know-it-alls who can’t be told anything, so it serves them right when the totally predictable befalls them.

She is Canadian in all fairness but certainly shows the Ugly American side quite well, no?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Is Omar all that anxious to move back to Syria? He said it was not safe enough  for Avery. Maybe he told her he would like to move back when the war is over and she’s thinking that’s going to happen soon? Or is she getting her thrill fix by shocking people with her announcement. Secretly she wants to maintain her rebel reputation despite her new conservative appearance. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Spike said:

It is not special for Americans to jump into something wearing glasses with deep pink tint. And even when there is a lot of information available in the internet, it will be disregarded using the argument "But my boy/girlfriend is different from what I read about others". In German forums, they coined even a special word for this: "AMIGA" (aber meiner ist anders / but mine is different), which is also Latin for "girlfriend".

In this regard, AMIGAs, women befallen by "love sickness" that comes with an immunity against all information and better advice seems to be rather a worldwide phenomenon ... which is not even limited to women only, as we can see on other 90d episodes. :-)

• Love 9
5 hours ago, iwasish said:

Is Omar all that anxious to move back to Syria? He said it was not safe enough  for Avery. Maybe he told her he would like to move back when the war is over and she’s thinking that’s going to happen soon? Or is she getting her thrill fix by shocking people with her announcement. Secretly she wants to maintain her rebel reputation despite her new conservative appearance. 

Avery screams "look at me"!  This new one is really paying off! 

Checks, travel, hotels, chauffeured cars, gowns, meals!  This family won the jackpot on rebel Avery!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, blubld43 said:

She's covered head to toe, but he objected to one of the Muslim wedding dresses because he thought it was too tight. She didn't care, but her mother was miffed.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Okay, so I am totally on board with Evelin/Corey being staged to an extent. I would bet money that they've been together for years and that they're simply reenacting scenes from earlier in their relationship. I think most of what we've seen has been them "acting", but I do think the fight was real. The way she kept saying "for real" while they were arguing made me think that the argument was staged, but that he took it too far and it either hurt or embarrassed her to be talking about an old wound on camera. 

In other news, guess who I saw over the weekend? (Hiding it because I guess, considering what went on this episode, it *could* be spoilerish.) 

Spoiler

Paul and Kreeny. My son's been very ill and he was at the hospital in Louisville. Saw the happy couple at a restaurant. They had their baby with them and they looked strikingly normal and happy. It was weird. This is probably spoilerish so I'll hide it, just in case. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yup! Grilled cheese guy is having the last laugh!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

*I was so concerned about Dumb@zz and Tween-Jihoon suffocating their baby with that freaking stiff-denim toddler jacket. Stressed. Really, I don’t think Dumbazz knows much more about baby-raisin’ than Ji-ha-ha. 

*The TEEN DRAMA continues— —  starring Jenny-on-the-random-India-Block and WHO-done-dunnit-Sumit. Next week, Jenny will receive a promise ring. But, will Sumit’s parents intervene and prevent these lovebirds from their heartfelt goal... 

*Corey, sell ANY of your money-backed purchases that you legally can then get your ass back to the U.S. of A. ASAP. Now! Really, now. Gooo!  Pitiful.

*Karine+Paul= {blink, blink}

* i don’t understand, can not Laura purchase jiggy-jiggy here in the States? Why purchase it abroad?? Damn! Her poor son.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

Avery and Omar are on Before the 90 Days and not the Other Way. The 90 Day Fiance shows are starting to all run together and it's confusing.

Thanks for bringing this up!  Maybe there could be a list of couples at the top of each show forum.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DiamondGirl said:

Maybe there could be a list of couples at the top of each show forum.

When you're watching television, just look at the name of the show before posting here. 

• LOL 7
On 8/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, watchingtvaddict said:

For people wondering about housing in Korea. 

There are two systems Jeonse and Wolse. 

Jeonse is the expensive system where you pay the owner 2 years of rent at the beginning of the housing contract but you get the money back once you leave the apartment. The idea is the owner uses your money to invest in the market. I do not live in Seoul, so housing is cheaper here. But, a 104m squared apartment (3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms) can cost anything between $150 000 to $300 000. You can get a loan from the bank (Jeonse loan) and you pay the interest during the loan period and the bank gets the money back after 2 years. 

The Wolse system uses Key money (a deposit) and then monthly payments. You can rent the same size apartment for a month for a deposit of around $20 000-$30 000 and then monthly payments of $800-$1200. 

Smaller "one rooms" (studio apartments) are available and the Jeonse is around $60 000 for a 24 m squared apartment or a deposit of $5000 and monthly payments of $300. 

It is common for newlyweds to live with the husband's family though (so JiHoon isn't being strange for thinking they would live with his family)... especially if the family doesn't have a lot of money as it is traditional for the husband's family to provide the newlyweds with an apartment and the duty of the wife's family to furnish the apartment. 

Thank you!  

21 minutes ago, BookElitist said:

Why MUST Deavan move to South Korea??? Why can’t Jihoon 'move’ to the U.S.? 

Probably because she can’t afford to sponsor him, especially now that she has 2 kids. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

There's already a cleaned-up 90DF main forum, a joint live chat, and couples' threads together in one subforum.   There really isn't much else we can do to get everyone to do the right thing other than moderate when it happens. 

If anyone sees comments in one 90DF show about a couple on a different 90DF show, please hit the flag icon under the post to flag it for the moderators.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 8/25/2019 at 6:45 AM, Spike said:

I saw that outfit when changing planes in Kuala Lumpur; there were flights coming in from Saudi Arabia. This was only a couple of years ago. I think that is expected and customary in that country. It was really hot that day and I felt so sorry for them. It must be uncomfortable in the heat.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BoomerRumor said:

I saw that outfit when changing planes in Kuala Lumpur; there were flights coming in from Saudi Arabia. This was only a couple of years ago. I think that is expected and customary in that country. It was really hot that day and I felt so sorry for them. It must be uncomfortable in the heat.

I find a loose fitting dress a lot cooler than say any kind of pants or even shorts which have a lot of fabric touching the skin.  She was probably more comfortable than you were.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, BookElitist said:

Why MUST Deavan move to South Korea??? Why can’t Jihoon 'move’ to the U.S.? 

Because if she wants to be on tv, there’s much less competition for 90DF: The Other Way than there is for 90DF: Before the 90 Days.

Edited by Gobi
Spelling
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I find a loose fitting dress a lot cooler than say any kind of pants or even shorts which have a lot of fabric touching the skin.  She was probably more comfortable than you were.

I find loose fitting dresses cooler as well. I mostly wear dresses in the summer. It helps the ventilation. I can't stand to be hot and have thick fabric, like jean shorts, against my skin. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, readheaded said:

Thank you!  

Probably because she can’t afford to sponsor him, especially now that she has 2 kids. 

I think because he can’t work if he comes here, till he gets a green card. She can’t afford to support him and 2 kids, I think she expects to sit at home while he works in S. Korea. ( I doubt her parents are going to pick up the tab for a family of 4.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

I think because he can’t work if he comes here, till he gets a green card. She can’t afford to support him and 2 kids, I think she expects to sit at home while he works in S. Korea. ( I doubt her parents are going to pick up the tab for a family of 4.)

Quite a mess, isn't it? Geez people, condoms.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

He can apply for a work visa once he enters the US. In our experience, though, it's not worth it. My husband's work visa and green card came within a week apart and we aren't the only ones that happened to. It's not worth the expense. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Bonus scene of Laura making wine. She’s angry that Aladdin won’t make compromises? She wants him to break cultural and legal laws in a country that they are both visitors in. The hair dye has seeped deep into her narcissistic brain.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Bonus scene! Laura is going to make toilet wine since she can’t buy her liquor in Qatar. 

Why is she so desperate for alcohol?  

I saw it. I would die laughing if when he walks out, Aladin ends up anonymously reporting her to the police.

Laura looks like my sixth grade P.E. teacher.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

Yes, but apparently people aren’t doing that.  I’m not personally confused.

I've slipped up once or twice....after DVRing and switching between forums and episodes it can happen. I also like wine. Especially because Rebecca is currently in Tunisia, Jihoon in the US etc. Did I mention I like wine?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PityFree said:

since she can’t buy liquor in Qatar.

From the UK foreign office information about Qatar:

"It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. Alcohol is available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. Don’t carry alcohol around with you (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home).  

You should dress modestly when in public, including while driving. Women should cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts. Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest."

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, BoomerRumor said:

I think that is expected and customary in that country. It was really hot that day and I felt so sorry for them. It must be uncomfortable in the heat.

You are assuming that the dressing rules are the same here and there.

If you wear a long dress with nothing under it, it would beat underwear+t-shirt+miniskirt plus save from a sunburn, trust me. :-)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Drogo said:

There's already a cleaned-up 90DF main forum, a joint live chat, and couples' threads together in one subforum.   There really isn't much else we can do to get everyone to do the right thing other than moderate when it happens. 

If anyone sees comments in one 90DF show about a couple on a different 90DF show, please hit the flag icon under the post to flag it for the moderators.  

Can we get any movement in the suggestion I made below? 

You know.....90DF, B90D, 90DFHEA or HEA, PT, FC, up front in the thread title.

Thanks!

• Love 2
On 8/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, BoomerRumor said:

I wonder if Laura and Jenny have any idea of how dreary and complaining they are. No matter what Aladin and Sumit are after, I can't imagine enduring all the whinging for long.

I totally agree.  It's why I feel no pity for Laura, she has to know that her relationship is transactional, because what exactly does she think she brings to the table......Youth? No. Beauty? Not unless you have a Gilligan's island fetish. A hot body?  Probably not since Reagan was in office.  A great and fun loving personality? Nope.  

On 8/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, Wanda said:

Bonus scene of Laura making wine. She’s angry that Aladdin won’t make compromises? She wants him to break cultural and legal laws in a country that they are both visitors in. The hair dye has seeped deep into her narcissistic brain.

JFC, why is she always so mad?  Give her back the damn vibrator!

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 8/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, iwasish said:

Oh that is 110% what Devan expects and the lifestyle she has been working towards.  Best laid plans of mice and men. 

What the over/under that devans "good job" was at a hooters?  Do they have them in SLC?  It seems like a good compromise for a city that probably doesn't want a strip club. 

Those walls!!! I was scandalized!  I don't know how people control kids but my parents controlled us to the point where drawing all over the walls was never even am option.  Those poor people are going to be delighted to have Devan and drascilla out of their hair. 

Not once did I hear the dad say anything about "well if jihoon doesn't have it together you can come back here"

• Love 8
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

What the over/under that devans "good job" was at a hooters?  Do they have them in SLC?  It seems like a good compromise for a city that probably doesn't want a strip club. 

I read on a reality tv site, that her job was.....

Spoiler

being an online model for ads

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, WWalter said:

From the UK foreign office information about Qatar:

"It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. Alcohol is available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. Don’t carry alcohol around with you (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home).  

You should dress modestly when in public, including while driving. Women should cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts. Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest."

Did you send this information to Nicole? LOL!

Seriously, going to another country where women's rights are minimal is a scary thing so if you go you'd better play along because those governing mean business, remember (years ago) the college student who was caned in Thailand, being an American did not mean a thing.  

Filter Queen should listen to her greasy dough boy and not try to buck the system, the rules are the rules. 

I hate to side with that greasy dough boy.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did you send this information to Nicole? LOL!

Seriously, going to another country where women's rights are minimal is a scary thing so if you go you'd better play along because those governing mean business, remember (years ago) the college student who was caned in Thailand, being an American did not mean a thing.  

Filter Queen should listen to her greasy dough boy and not try to buck the system, the rules are the rules. 

I hate to side with that greasy dough boy.

Not to venture off topic but that American kid who got caned?  I once worked with someone who worked at the same school as American Kid, and he and his parents were given MANY choices, but nope, they chose to stay and fight it.  Overseas, they DO. NOT. PLAY.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1