Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Breaking Point

• Start Topic

On 8/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, RealReality said:

Also, was she wearing a nightgown to the park?  With heavy eye makeup?  Confusing!

Holy hell, that frock was a dead ringer for a hideous bridesmaid gown I had to wear as a kid to my cousin's wedding...in 1972, no less.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, renatae said:

Apparently, there was a character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer named Drusilla. I think Deaven spells it Drascilla.

Every time I hear the name, though, I can't help but think of Drusilla, sister of Caligula and rumored to have been his lover and partner in his heinously cruel reign. Brrr.

ETA: I checked and found that one of Cinderella's step-sisters was named Drizella which has often been misspelled as Drusilla, so you were right.

Yes, Drusilla was Spike's vampire sidekick and she was a pretty fun character.  And as a trivial note, her actress is the daughter of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, renatae said:

Apparently, there was a character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer named Drusilla. I think Deaven spells it Drascilla.

Every time I hear the name, though, I can't help but think of Drusilla, sister of Caligula and rumored to have been his lover and partner in his heinously cruel reign. Brrr.

ETA: I checked and found that one of Cinderella's step-sisters was named Drizella which has often been misspelled as Drusilla, so you were right.

Same thing I think of. 

1 hour ago, Dobian said:

Yes, Drusilla was Spike's vampire sidekick and she was a pretty fun character.  And as a trivial note, her actress is the daughter of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

I always liked him. 

• Love 2

good lord, the TLC script writers are getting lazy. How many times did we hear, "I have GIVEN UP EVERYTHING to be with Aladin/Jihoon/Evelin"??  Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? It is interesting that in the intro episodes, the speaker of the above line is giddy with joy (picture Laura, gleefully declaring that she will leave behind her dear son, her dogs, her cozy Florida home) in comparison to her deflated, weepy countenance in the car as she says, "I didn't realize how much I would miss my home! I'm homesick!"  C'mon, these people aren't middle schoolers; surely they must think a little tiny bit about what it might be like to dump everything and everyone they know to cavort to some country where the living conditions and social norms are somewhat (radically) different than theirs?

• Love 9
On 8/20/2019 at 3:25 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Please forgive me if this seems insensitive, but, Jenny's reaction to seeing her daughter....OMG...it was sweet, but, my goodness.  No matter the love, I can't imagine being that hysterical at seeing someone, unless I was starving in a deep hold and a rescuer arrived. lol  So maybe, that's how Jenny feels.  Oh, I know what Jenny and Submit talk about. He says, "Jenny, I love you".....over and over. I wonder if she gives him little gifts that say, "I love you more." Not sure what else they discuss.  Oh, yeah, cooking spices. 

I totally got Jenny's reaction.  As I love as they think they are, I'm sure they all feel incredibly isolated, miss home, and feel unsure of what they are doing.  So a surprise visit from your kids have to be incredibly emotional.

• Love 10
On 8/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, Nowhere said:

I’m no Deavan fan and I think she needs some serious parenting classes. However, I’m kind of disturbed by the overwhelming opinion that she got herself pregnant somehow and she trapped poor innocent jihoon. I think Jihoon is a nice guy so far, but he took part in impregnating a woman. She didn’t do it herself. I’ve taught my own son that even if a woman says she’s on the pill or has an iud, you still wear a condom if YOU, my son, do not want a child. Women forget pills, they take antibiotics which makes the pill ineffective, and pills do not prevent std’s. I’m kind of put off by the fact that even women do not ever hold a man accountable for a woman’s pregnancy. Jihoon is smart enough to wear a condom. If he decided not to, it was probably because he wanted the full sexual experience. Selfish. That’s on him. Both Jihoon and Deaven are to blame for the pregnancy. Not just Deaven. She did not trap him anymore than he may have been trapping her by ejaculating inside of her. Can’t get pregnant without sperm, and women don’t produce that. 

Condoms are for slut people! 

But seriously you are right.  Both of them should have been protected.

I understand better when it is teenagers that get pregnant.  But adults?  You know how to prevent pregnancy.  Try not to make a baby with a stranger you barely know that lives across the globe.  Especially when you have no idea if they will ever be able to financially support a growing family.

• Love 9
On 8/20/2019 at 2:25 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Please forgive me if this seems insensitive, but, Jenny's reaction to seeing her daughter....OMG...it was sweet, but, my goodness.  No matter the love, I can't imagine being that hysterical at seeing someone, unless I was starving in a deep hold and a rescuer arrived.

Her reaction seemed completely normal to me. My Identical twin and myself live very far from each other, so that we only see each other two or three times a year. Sometimes even only Once a year. It’s always emotional when we get together, especially when it’s time to say goodbye. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Hellohappylife said:

Her reaction seemed completely normal to me. My Identical twin and myself live very far from each other, so that we only see each other two or three times a year. Sometimes even only Once a year. It’s always emotional when we get together, especially when it’s time to say goodbye. 

I thought it was sweet and quite emotional. For me it wasn't over the top. She has been having a tough time adapting and maybe feeling a bit alone and then boom there is her daughter. And its nice to see the two of them have such a sweet and close relationship, her daughter in law as well. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Jihoon is naïve about one thing and that is the benefit of using Chapstick and various other lip balms.

Oh man would I love to introduce jihoon to the joys of chapstick.  It would be sheer ecstacy to see that dry, chapped lip get the petroleum based protection it's been asking for!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 8/21/2019 at 7:57 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

I read that and instantly thought that makes perfect sense.  But then I thought why would he go on TV? I realize he still has family that will find out but if he has another wife, and televises it, he risks losing both. 

Not if his wife is in on the scam.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Oh man would I love to introduce jihoon to the joys of chapstick.  It would be sheer ecstacy to see that dry, chapped lip get the petroleum based protection it's been asking for!

Also a haircut with some mousse?

• Love 2
On 8/22/2019 at 4:07 AM, RealReality said:

Jihoon is in his 20s and he comes off as extremely sheltered and naive to me.  I don't know if kpop stars are a reflection on the general knowledge of the average young Korean.  Unless what you're saying is that the loop stars are giving out safe sex messages in their music the same way shows teen and preteen entertainment here often has a message about sexual protection? No one in Hollywood is reflective of me in really any way at all, but there are messages through the entertainment medium that I'm sure reach me.  

But what I've seen of jihoon leads me to believe he is extremely naive.  I would not be shocked to learn that jihoon had never had a girlfriend before or if he did it was one and it was relatively brief and involved getting no further than second base.

The fact that he hasn't once mentioned or questioned paternity makes me think he is naive.  I think the average 20 something man in the US would ask a few questions after a woman showed up pregnant after a two week sexcapade.  

It never once occured to him that the baby might not be his....which doesn't seem very savvy at all. 

Were they even in a "committed" relationship when she flew from another country for a two week sexcapade?  A savvier man would have asked a few more questions about why she was doing this when she was young and looked pretty able to get a guy in the US.   And even if he didn't ask a few questions be would have been suspicious enough to wrap it all the way up no matter what.

And if he knew she had a kid, she was so hot for his dick that she put her kid off on someone to fly to another country?  I think a savvier man....even a young one would have asked the question or would have been much more suspicious.

And he just comes off as incredibly naive to me.  He does not seem slightly savvy, in any way.  From his job to his dorky jokes to his slipping the engagement ring in the champagne.  

ETA: I don't know if jihoons naivete and the fact that I think devan had a plan functionally makes jihoon any less responsible for the pregnancy.

Condom use is very low in South Korea. Sex education is non-existent. Women use abortion as a method of birth control as opposed to getting on the pill (which you can get OTC here) or getting an IUD (which is usually not offered to women if they aren't married- the first doctor I went to refused to provide me with birth control because I was single at the time). 

JiHoon was probably surprised Deavan didn't abort after he had sex with her. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Worth it if you’re hiding your sperm from Deavan? 

That would probably require a cleanse with fire type scenario, especially for a Korean dude.

15 hours ago, RealReality said:

just wanted to shake her and say....the danger is real, don't put yourself in real danger to punish a man.....you're worth more than that.  If he doesn't want to come home....you do you and go home.

It's a stupid game to play. You win by ... getting raped, possibly to death ... yeah that'll teach him.

14 hours ago, renatae said:

The character was an insane, violent vampire.

9 hours ago, Dobian said:

Yes, Drusilla was Spike's vampire sidekick and she was a pretty fun character. 

She was batshit nuts in large part due to the fact that she witnessed a lot of fucked up shit that Angel did, after being given to him as a gift to torture. She wasn't Spike's sidekick though; she was his sire and lover, although she also maintained a sexual relationship with Angel for quite a while after that. Dear god I know too much about the Buffy-verse.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I think Jihoon is a nice, not too bright, kind of sheltered/spoiled 29 yr old. 

As sweet as he’s been, he’s made no secret that this situation is not what he planned on or even wanted. He’s caught up in it because, “Hey, I banged a hot Amrricam girl and I’m having a son” 

2 things make me think this relationship is doomed.

1. His reaction to her asking him to change his flight to be there for the Csection. He barely thought about it before telling her No. 

2. When she asked him how he felt about his visit with the baby in the USA. His answer was that he didn’t get enough sleep.  An underwhelming answer IMO.

iMO, he’s a basically nice guy, without any ambition or drive. He’s trying to be supportive because he knows it’s what expected of him. But Deavan is pushing him to suddenly be an adult because he’s a father. Ironic, because she’s been a mother for all this time and has done nothing but live off her parents. My guess is that she can’t drum up the money she needs to qualify for a K1 visa. That’s why she’s going to S.Korea. I’m also pretty sure her folks have no intention of sponsoring Jihoon. I haven’t even heard her mom or dad express any concern over the fact they’ll be losing a daughter/grand daughter and new grandson. They haven’t said anything about her move or if they plan to visit S Korea. They seem quite young themselves and probably glad to be done supporting sad sack and her kid. 

Deavan  expects Jihoon to have a job and an apartment when she gets there in a month. She better be ready to live at his folks place without hot water cause I doubt he even has a job by then. 

22 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

That would probably require a cleanse with fire type scenario, especially for a Korean dude.

It's a stupid game to play. You win by ... getting raped, possibly to death ... yeah that'll teach him.

The character was an insane, violent vampire.

She was batshit nuts in large part due to the fact that she witnessed a lot of fucked up shit that Angel did, after being given to him as a gift to torture. She wasn't Spike's sidekick though; she was his sire and lover, although she also maintained a sexual relationship with Angel for quite a while after that. Dear god I know too much about the Buffy-verse.

I never watched that show...  yet somehow I thought it was a comedy. I guess not. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

For people wondering about housing in Korea. 

There are two systems Jeonse and Wolse. 

Jeonse is the expensive system where you pay the owner 2 years of rent at the beginning of the housing contract but you get the money back once you leave the apartment. The idea is the owner uses your money to invest in the market. I do not live in Seoul, so housing is cheaper here. But, a 104m squared apartment (3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms) can cost anything between $150 000 to $300 000. You can get a loan from the bank (Jeonse loan) and you pay the interest during the loan period and the bank gets the money back after 2 years. 

The Wolse system uses Key money (a deposit) and then monthly payments. You can rent the same size apartment for a month for a deposit of around $20 000-$30 000 and then monthly payments of $800-$1200. 

Smaller "one rooms" (studio apartments) are available and the Jeonse is around $60 000 for a 24 m squared apartment or a deposit of $5000 and monthly payments of $300. 

It is common for newlyweds to live with the husband's family though (so JiHoon isn't being strange for thinking they would live with his family)... especially if the family doesn't have a lot of money as it is traditional for the husband's family to provide the newlyweds with an apartment and the duty of the wife's family to furnish the apartment. 

Well I doubt Jihoon is going to come up with that kind of money in a month or two. He already said he fucked up his finsnces with credit card debt. So I guess they will be living  with his folks. 6 people in a tiny cold water only apartment. Deavan will be even more of a sad sack than before. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Condoms are for slut people! 

But seriously you are right.  Both of them should have been protected.

I understand better when it is teenagers that get pregnant.  But adults?  You know how to prevent pregnancy.  Try not to make a baby with a stranger you barely know that lives across the globe.  Especially when you have no idea if they will ever be able to financially support a growing family.

And you’ve already done it once before! Figure it out!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, toodles said:

Plus they have a camera crew following them around.  Pretty stealth these two are.

That was something I found amusing in the Jenny's Night Out scene.  It looked like the crew was hiding behind things to film her.  To help with the illusion that she was alone I guess.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, KateHearts said:

good lord, the TLC script writers are getting lazy. How many times did we hear, "I have GIVEN UP EVERYTHING to be with Aladin/Jihoon/Evelin"??  Are we supposed to feel sorry for you?

I always start thinking...you mean you will never call or skype your family and friends back home?  WOW!

Secondly, say when Jenny gets visited by her daughter...OH! I guess NOT ALL GIVEN UP after all.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

For people wondering about housing in Korea. 

There are two systems Jeonse and Wolse. 

Jeonse is the expensive system where you pay the owner 2 years of rent at the beginning of the housing contract but you get the money back once you leave the apartment. The idea is the owner uses your money to invest in the market. I do not live in Seoul, so housing is cheaper here. But, a 104m squared apartment (3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms) can cost anything between $150 000 to $300 000. You can get a loan from the bank (Jeonse loan) and you pay the interest during the loan period and the bank gets the money back after 2 years. 

The Wolse system uses Key money (a deposit) and then monthly payments. You can rent the same size apartment for a month for a deposit of around $20 000-$30 000 and then monthly payments of $800-$1200. 

Smaller "one rooms" (studio apartments) are available and the Jeonse is around $60 000 for a 24 m squared apartment or a deposit of $5000 and monthly payments of $300. 

It is common for newlyweds to live with the husband's family though (so JiHoon isn't being strange for thinking they would live with his family)... especially if the family doesn't have a lot of money as it is traditional for the husband's family to provide the newlyweds with an apartment and the duty of the wife's family to furnish the apartment. 

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive explanation.  That puts a lot into perspective. 

Just for reference, is it relatively easy to get a jenose loan?  And what is the normal monthly interest payment?  Would someone like jihoon need a cosigner because he seems to have bad credit and works for himself?

Are the payments under the wolse system of $800-$1200 affordable for someone with an average job?  I live in the Bay area and rental prices in the city are absolutely bananas and ridiculous and unless it's rent controlled almost no one with an average income can afford an apartment on a single income.  Is it like that?

Sorry for all the questions.  Feel free to ignore ...I can Google but I'm not always good at it.  

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive explanation.  That puts a lot into perspective. 

Just for reference, is it relatively easy to get a jenose loan?  And what is the normal monthly interest payment?  Would someone like jihoon need a cosigner because he seems to have bad credit and works for himself?

Are the payments under the wolse system of $800-$1200 affordable for someone with an average job?  I live in the Bay area and rental prices in the city are absolutely bananas and ridiculous and unless it's rent controlled almost no one with an average income can afford an apartment on a single income.  Is it like that?

Sorry for all the questions.  Feel free to ignore ...I can Google but I'm not always good at it.  

I’m an English teacher here so my housing is provided for by my school (this is standard practice or a school will give you a housing allowance of $200-$500 a month) but it means you generally live in a studio apartment or share an apartment with friends. 

Housing is ridiculously unaffordable here and the reason why many Koreans are delaying marriage (they can’t afford to move into their own place so they save money and stay with their parents). 

JiHoon would not qualify for a very big jeonse loan.  I know some couples don’t qualify for loans because the Korean is a SAHM and the foreigner is the one bringing in the income (it’s pretty much impossible for foreigners to qualify for loans regardless of their status or time spent in country). 

ETA: I have no idea what the interest payment is... I tried to get a loan last year and was refused because I’m a foreigner. But, I believe taking out the jeonse loan and making the payments works out cheaper than making monthly payments to the owner. 

Edited by watchingtvaddict
  • Useful 5
4 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

Jihoon said he did not have a good visit this time. I'm betting Deaven had two babies in the bed, and no jiggy-jiggy was happening. She was also two weeks out from a cesarean section. He's an immature dude.

I saw it slightly differently.  She asked if he had fun.  No.  This was not a trip for fun.  It was for trying to figure out being a dad.  I think he was taking it literally.  He didn't have fun, doesn't mean it was a bad trip.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 8/22/2019 at 9:44 PM, Shieldmaiden said:

And you’ve already done it once before! Figure it out!

I don’t think getting pregnant was a surprise to Deavan at all. I think she planned it, she wanted to get pregnant. 

Just before he leaves, she suddenly “senses” she might be pregnant and needs to take a test or multiple tests. She either knew she was pregnant before hooking up with him or really hoped 3 solid weeks of fucking bareback did the trick. 

Why she was desperate to hook a foreigner and look to move to their country I have no idea. The fact that her folks don’t seem at all bothered ny her moving is odd  too.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, iwasish said:

I don’t think getting pregnant was a surprise to Deavan at all. I think she planned it, she wanted to get pregnant. 

Just before he leaves, she suddenly “senses” she might be pregnant and needs to take a test or multiple tests. She either knew she was pregnant before hooking up with him or really hoped 3 solid weeks of fucking bareback did the trick. 

Why she was desperate to hook a foreigner and look to move to their country I have no idea. The fact that her folks don’t seem at all bothered ny her moving is odd  too.

I guess her folks just want her to be happy so they let her go 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 8:58 AM, Rt66vintage said:

Jihoon said he did not have a good visit this time. I'm betting Deaven had two babies in the bed, and no jiggy-jiggy was happening. She was also two weeks out from a cesarean section. He's an immature dude.

That’s what I thought - no sleep meant no jiggy in his mind.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

My I guess her folks just want her to be happy so they let her go 

Wanting her to be happy is fine, but I would still think they would voice some concern over her moving so far with a basic stranger and taking their grandkids. They haven’t been on the show much so that may be a sign of their disapproval, I still think it odd that she hasn’t even commented on their concerns. Let’s see if they go to the airport with her when she leaves. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

Wanting her to be happy is fine, but I would still think they would voice some concern over her moving so far with a basic stranger and taking their grandkids. They haven’t been on the show much so that may be a sign of their disapproval, I still think it odd that she hasn’t even commented on their concerns. Let’s see if they go to the airport with her when she leaves. 

As long she and the grandkids comes back, that is all that matters 

Usually by the time I watch this you guys have covered everything I was thinking. I just want to add if anyone noticed mama Aladin sitting on the bed scowling in next weeks preview? I wonder if she would be happier if her son was gay or marrying a wrinkled up old white lady?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, suziespend said:

Usually by the time I watch this you guys have covered everything I was thinking. I just want to add if anyone noticed mama Aladin sitting on the bed scowling in next weeks preview? I wonder if she would be happier if her son was gay or marrying a wrinkled up old white lady?

Aladin's mother is going to be a charmer I can already tell!  

Wrinkled old white lady is preferable I'm sure.  Especially since she has a steady retirement check coming in every month.  

I wonder if aladin will make enough to open up a store?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, RealReality said:

Aladin's mother is going to be a charmer I can already tell!  

Wrinkled old white lady is preferable I'm sure.  Especially since she has a steady retirement check coming in every month.  

I wonder if aladin will make enough to open up a store?

Aladdin should open a sex toy store. He's already one step ahead of the competition, because he knows where Qatar is!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Aladdin should open a sex toy store. He's already one step ahead of the competition, because he knows where Qatar is!

I know it’s not culturally acceptable to open a sex store there but is it even legal? I can just imagine Laura getting carted off in handcuffs and Aladin laughing his ass off when she expects him to bail her out

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DVDFreaker said:

As long she and the grandkids comes back, that is all that matters 

From what she says, it looks like she has no intention of returning. I did laugh when she said she is sacrificing everything she has to go to S Korea. What exactly did she have? A car? Probably supplied by her parents.. It looked like she was living in a big house, I guess that also belongs to her folks. So her big achievement is probably her child. And she taking her, so no sacrifice there. 

If she comes back, it will be with two (at least!) kids and nothing else. Mom and Dad will be thrilled!! 

Did anyone else notice that Avery’s Mom and Zied have the same greasy lank hair?

Edited by iwasish
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, suziespend said:

Avery is as nutty as a fruitcake for fantasizing about living in a war zone and basically relinquishing all your rights to someone you don’t even know

She told her friends they already argue over her “ past” and that she isn’t dressing  “modestly enough”.  She seems so desperate for this to happen, I just can’t shake the feeling that she is running from something. Who does a 180 in personality/persona overnight the way it appears she did? It’s almost like she was out of control and needed something that would give her the structure and control she couldn’t maintain on her own. 

She has made a few comments that seem  to suggest that if this marriage doesn't take place or doesn’t last, then she “ did all of this for nothing”, that she will revert back to her previous lifestyle. 

• Love 4
On 8/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, Mothra said:

We don't know if the other Muslim guy, the dentist, is working or is a full-time student, but at least he has the ability to make some serious money, if there is a market in a war-torn nation for dentistry and if patients are able to pay.

He is from Latakia - and Latakia is the Russian-protected province where they have their military bases. In Latakia is, and hasn't been, war at all (except for a few occurences some years ago). People even can go there today and have a nice holiday, the beach hotels have been open for years. :-)

The groom might be from a not so poor family anyway, there are quite a few over there...

• Useful 8
On 8/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, renatae said:

From Wikipedia:

"Drusilla is an English female given name coming from the Roman Drusus which itself derived from the Greek drosos (dew). It has the meaning "fruitful" or "dewy-eyed". As a name appearing in the Bible it was adopted by English speakers in the 17th century. The name has never been very popular in the United States where, according to Social Security Administration records, from 1880 to 1914 its highest ranking of girls' names was 612 out of 1,000 in 1886. Variations are Drucilla and Druscilla."

• Love 1
9 hours ago, RealReality said:

It depends whether or not the family is very traditional AND can impose that on their son as well OR the family is wealthy. In this case, a young tunisian girl is being preferred, or, more precise, required. In all other cases, a rich western woman which will be preferred and replaced by the young tunisian woman as soon as residency and establishment in the western country has been achieved.

Oh yes, there are exceptions from that rule, but their chances are similar to a main strike in a lottery. :-)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, suziespend said:

I know it’s not culturally acceptable to open a sex store there but is it even legal?

It probably would fall under the one-fits-all law of public indecency. Cannot be determined 100% though, because the offical and unofficial jiggly houses did and do not fall automatically under this law either (basically, it depends on whom you offer how much money and whether you keep the activities under the counter or in a backroom...).

But culturally acceptable? Which culture are you exactly referring to? The Islamic elements, the Berber, the French, the Turkish? The one that old people in the hinterland keep, or that of the young people in the big and tourist cities? :-)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, WWalter said:

It depends whether or not the family is very traditional AND can impose that on their son as well OR the family is wealthy. In this case, a young tunisian girl is being preferred, or, more precise, required. In all other cases, a rich western woman which will be preferred and replaced by the young tunisian woman as soon as residency and establishment in the western country has been achieved.

Oh yes, there are exceptions from that rule, but their chances are similar to a main strike in a lottery. 🙂

9 hours ago, suziespend said:

Usually by the time I watch this you guys have covered everything I was thinking. I just want to add if anyone noticed mama Aladin sitting on the bed scowling in next weeks preview?

I wonder if she would be happier if her son was gay or marrying a wrinkled up old white lady?

I thought my options were wrinkled old white lady or a gay man?!?!!! 

LOL, this isn't a Sophie's choice if young Tunisian woman from a good.family is am option and in such a case I demand a redo!  🤣

1 minute ago, WWalter said:

It probably would fall under the one-fits-all law of public indecency. Cannot be determined 100% though, because the offical and unofficial jiggly houses did and do not fall automatically under this law either (basically, it depends on whom you offer how much money and whether you keep the activities under the counter or in a backroom...).

But culturally acceptable? Which culture are you exactly referring to? The Islamic elements, the Berber, the French, the Turkish? The one that old people in the hinterland keep, or that of the young people in the big and tourist cities? 🙂

Are jiggy houses whorehouses or are they places where any two unmarried  people can go to jiggy?

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, RealReality said:

No, gay man is the one thing impossible in Tunisia, this is not an option at all. :-)

1 minute ago, WWalter said:

No, gay man is the one thing impossible in Tunisia, this is not an option at all. 🙂

Not legally or socially possible, that is. In reality, there are quite a few there, and some are looking for male tourists...

• Useful 2
6 minutes ago, RealReality said:

LOL, this isn't a Sophie's choice if young Tunisian woman from a good.family is am option and in such a case I demand a redo!  🤣

Are jiggy houses whorehouses or are they places where any two unmarried  people can go to jiggy?

You can find all 3 kinds. Offical brothels, inofficial ones and hotels where you can rent for a few hours or the night no passports asked. Most of the first ones (they were even protected by the old regime) have been raided by some islamist groups during the uprising in 2011, though, the second and third still exist and thrive. :-)

• Useful 1
38 minutes ago, WWalter said:

You can find all 3 kinds. Offical brothels, inofficial ones and hotels where you can rent for a few hours or the night no passports asked. Most of the first ones (they were even protected by the old regime) have been raided by some islamist groups during the uprising in 2011, though, the second and third still exist and thrive. 🙂

That's really interesting because it means that Laura and aladin could have had sex in qatar as an unmarried couples when she first went to visit and therefore they did not need to get married in like nine days so they could have sex.  

Laura has made it seem like aladin told her that in order for them to have sex, to even get a space to have sex... they'd have to be married. 

If aladin told her that they couldn't have sex even though they could it seems like he may have really wanted to get married to her to get at that money. 

• Useful 4
9 hours ago, iwasish said:

From what she says, it looks like she has no intention of returning. I did laugh when she said she is sacrificing everything she has to go to S Korea. What exactly did she have? A car? Probably supplied by her parents.. It looked like she was living in a big house, I guess that also belongs to her folks. So her big achievement is probably her child. And she taking her, so no sacrifice there. 

If she comes back, it will be with two (at least!) kids and nothing else. Mom and Dad will be thrilled!! 

I bet she will come back, she will be homesick, I will be surprised if she does not 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, iwasish said:

She told her friends they already argue over her “ past” and that she isn’t dressing  “modestly enough”.  She seems so desperate for this to happen, I just can’t shake the feeling that she is running from something. Who does a 180 in personality/persona overnight the way it appears she did? It’s almost like she was out of control and needed something that would give her the structure and control she couldn’t maintain on her own. 

She has made a few comments that seem  to suggest that if this marriage doesn't take place or doesn’t last, then she “ did all of this for nothing”, that she will revert back to her previous lifestyle. 

People used to just join the military if they felt they needed structure.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Spike said:

People used to just join the military if they felt they needed structure.

I'm wondering what Avery means by not dressing "modestly enough" , she's wearing a burqa. 

Not familiar with Islam enough to understand what she could mean.

• Love 2