Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: It's Going Down

Drogo
Message added by Bort

NO SPOILERS HERE.  Click HERE to read the rules before posting.

Clairvoyant comments about who makes show group, point and the final team do not belong here.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

Don't forget, she worked with a choreographer in California to get that solo.  They had to show most of it so she could get her money's worth:)

That's really sad. I understand that choreo isn't everyone's forte - but if you get someone to help you with choreo, it's usually someone who knows what your strengths and weaknesses are.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, chabelisaywow said:

That's really sad. I understand that choreo isn't everyone's forte - but if you get someone to help you with choreo, it's usually someone who knows what your strengths and weaknesses are.

And usually they are in your home state:)

• Love 2

But she can do kick line, correct?  Or is she relying on the girls on either side of her?

Kickline is a whole different animal - I was basing my opinion on her position going into the turn she slipped on and how she "hopped" in the solo. I have found her dancing to be "noodly" - but she has gotten better.

Kickline, I would think requires you to be in control of yourself. You have a girl on your left and right and if you make a wrong move, they go down too. They aren't a safety net. .

• Love 3

Did anyone else think a lot of the choreography looked identical? It seemed like every single girl did that leap/turn with bent leg; arial; horizontal split with hair toss. Either they're all using the same choreographer or the show agrees to feature only Michelle Keys or whoever's choreo it is.

I wonder how do the vets all show up at once, together as a group  outside of the stadium for solo. Do they meet up somewhere off-site and then carpool or follow each other?

• Love 2

I have not missed Kitty at all and I could honestly do without her in future episodes as well. A few thoughts on this episode:

None of the rookie candidates really stood out to me in a good way. I didn't care for Victoria's solo and I'm surprised Kelli was so blown away by it. Do the DCC even do lyrical outside of show group? I didn't think it was the best routine for showcasing that Victoria can do DCC style dancing.

I'm glad they didn't take Malena back. She hadn't improved and unfortunately with her inability to retain choreography, she isn't ever going to be a fit for this team.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how Christina continues to keep her spot (or how she made it in the first place). There must be something really special about Christina that just doesn't come across on TV. I don't see how else she could bomb in her interview, get outdanced by the rookie candidates as a veteran for the second year in a row, and still keep her spot. 

I like Kristin but I think she looks a lot heavier than she was last year. I wonder if this will be an issue.

Hip Hop Maddie sure does think she's a big deal. She's good but IMO nowhere near as good as she thinks she is.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rungirl46 said:

I'm definitely team Kat.  Unfortunately she's getting a tough edit.  I have a feeling producers are telling her to be super expressive in her talking heads but her energy is not resonating with some of the audience.

Along with Christina's chest looking lumpy, she's always the victim.  "This is my 7th time in finals, etc, etc..."

Agree with Malena.  Please don't come back.

Hannah is a total rockstar.....her solo - WOW.  And I've never noticed Amber until this episode but she's an amazing dancer too.

Has anyone seen clips of Hannah’s solo online? I’ve been looking, because the small clip they showed really impressed me. I was hoping to see the whole thing.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, blairwaldorf said:

None of the rookie candidates really stood out to me in a good way. I didn't care for Victoria's solo and I'm surprised Kelli was so blown away by it. Do the DCC even do lyrical outside of show group? I didn't think it was the best routine for showcasing that Victoria can do DCC style dancing.

The idea behind the solos is for each lady to showcase her showmanship and strengths, be it tap, lyrical, jazz, etc.  It's not necessarily to show off the DCC style.  That comes when doing the DCC choreography, like they did in semis and later in finals when everyone performs on the field.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Here's a small clip of Gina's we didn't get to see.  I know they can't show everyone but I was hoping to see Gina's.

Edited by go4luca
missing a few letters. stupid me.
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Could someone post a video of a dancer (female) doing actual hip hop? Cuz I’m as basic white girl as they come and even i know what Maddie does isn’t hip hop. Show me real hip hop!!!! 

As far as I'm concerned, just watch any clip on YouTube of the Rhythm & Blue dancers.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, tdp1117 said:

I don't see Kitty like this  I think she's just saying what she does for shock value.  I'd liken her to Simon Cowell. Just curious - are you a millennial or a gen x'er? 

Gen X! I just can’t deal with her unkindness anymore, she’s mean for the sake of meanness. As we saw last season (eg. VK is amazing & deserves respect), it’s not connected to truth anymore, or woman is blind, or both - therefore she is of no use in the process. And I’m not a snowflake (I have had coaches who were even more blunt). It’s just not constructive. And it is game-playing, untruthful meddling.

11 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

At one point I thought Kitty was funny and full of shock value, but over the years (two kids later), I have found her edit less humourous and just plain mean. I wouldn't tolerate my daughters to treat others with such disregard.  Kitty change with the times! Please offer real critiques without the put downs. 

This!

10 hours ago, Bubbetv said:

In What Universe could she demand respect for that buffoon, then claim editing was not legit?! Media backlash was a hard truth too hard for Kitty Carter? Smh

People in glass houses, amirite?? 

I find it amusing that she is having a sook about people expressing a direct opinion about her. #SheGivesItButSheCan’tTakeIt #GoodRiddance 

Perhaps she feels silly for being taken advantage of by the Kalinas last year, who put her up to running to tattle on other girls that VK didn’t like. 

10 hours ago, tdp1117 said:

She's playing a character.  

Maybe so - but her byline is the “tEcHnIcAl CoAcH” who “HeLpS K&J mAkE obJeCtIVe DeCiSiOnS wITh FrEsH eYeS” .... ummmm, not. Each year she’s increasingly straying into snark about the girls hair and overall appearance instead of focusing on her supposed mandate, which simply isn’t even valid anymore.

Maybe she could be brought back as the “resident washed up hot mess who screeches shrill mean stuff” that is sometimes based on a true story, but usually playing favourites to boost her own $$$ bottom line.

Edited by Pinknblue
  • Love 6

Wow Kelli had an actual orgasm during VK’s solo. 

I wish Jemilah made it to camp! The clip of her singing, then her dance, was really impressive. 

Katy has those squinty smiley eyes that Bridget has, which makes them look like they are really enjoying themselves. If she tones up that gut I think she would be a really great addition to the team next year! 

I love Kristi Scales and appreciate that she isn’t afraid to argue with K & J & C in defense of a vet. We’ve seen multiple instances over the years of her sticking up for one vet or another. I bet she is a really loyal friend. 

Sorry but the skills VK did in her solo were ones any 2nd yr dance student can do, and she did them sooo bad. She was off her axis in her turns like it was her first day learning them. How is that possible? Hasn’t she been dancing since she was like 5 or something? 

Regarding the DMs “that weren’t the loveliest.” I think she took a page out of auntie kelli’s exaggeration playbook. I’m sure 99.9% of DMs she received were adoring fanmail and/or positive encouragement. Surprisingly, lots of fans LOVE her (except in this board, because we aren’t stupid). She has so many adoring admirers at least judging by comments on social media. Sure, a negative comment or two on a pic or post, but seriously how many people that dislike a person from a tv show actually send them a DM about it? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

This really isn’t very good.   A lot more trashy than sexy if you ask me and her legs are short compared to her torso.  I guess she’s considered a rock star now, but just in those few seconds I can see why they passed on her those couple times she tried out before.

Erica, and other true rock stars, a million times better at this style.

And yeah the shoes are awful. 

• Love 7

Some random thoughts about this episode:

- Did Briana walk in with a platter of cookies when all the vets arrived?  Did anyone else see that?

- I love Katy and hope she tries out again next year.

- Did anyone see Victoria almost step on Bridget and Madeline M when she began her solo?  And how she almost fell out of her turn towards the end of her routine?    

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

I can’t believe there are so many Maddie haters! She’s been one of my favorites since her first audition. Say what you want about her routine being similar to last year, she’s got style, power, energy, and is a really great performer. I don’t see the weight issue that others have mentioned, her body looks good and she’s adorable. Team Maddie all the way! 

I agree! I have always loved her!

• Love 3
Just now, KickPretty said:

Maddie’s solo.  If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.  Lacey seemed to do the same lyrical piece every year... why?  Because it worked!  Color me still #teammaddieastheONLYpoint

Also Jinelle and Erica seemed the recycle the same moves in their solos.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ThreaLevelMidnight said:

I love Kristi Scales and appreciate that she isn’t afraid to argue with K & J & C in defense of a vet. We’ve seen multiple instances over the years of her sticking up for one vet or another. I bet she is a really loyal friend. 

I like it too, but I don't think I have ever seen her agreeing to cut someone. It makes me wonder if it becomes a null vote then.  Versus Jenn who would say (I don't like it, but here are the 2 weaker vets IMO )

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

Did anyone else think a lot of the choreography looked identical? It seemed like every single girl did that leap/turn with bent leg; arial; horizontal split with hair toss. Either they're all using the same choreographer or the show agrees to feature only Michelle Keys or whoever's choreo it is.

If you're talking about the Veterans, there's a "Veteran move" that's used by all the re-auditioning vets each year.  I think it's revealed/decided upon when the Vets go in to learn their Finals choreo (someone correct me if I'm mistaken pls)

Edited by DCCFanInKy
clarity
  • Love 1
Just now, scorpio1031 said:

Nope, you're right and the other vets are supposed to cheer during that move:)

Yup! Did you see that I linked to a scene where Jenna and Jinelle were teaching the VM for that particular years auditions?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

6 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

If you're talking about the Veterans, there's a "Veteran move" that's used by all the re-auditioning vets each year.  I think it's revealed/decided upon when the Vets go in to learn their Finals choreo (someone correct me if I'm mistaken pls)

@Route66 correct me if I'm wrong but I take your post to be referring to seeing the same type of moves used over and over in the finalists solos.  IE: from the floor one leg extension towards the ceiling, the jump into splits in second onto the floor, the leg hold turns up to their ear, yada yada.

Watch Erica Wilkins rehearse one of her DCC audition solos.  You should see several moves that look very similar. 

The veteran move is a separate entity unto itself.  An added but separate move just for the vets.

• Love 4

Well I was hoping we were on the short intro for good but I guess not.

- I had no idea Charlotte was Jerry's daughter.

- I know y'all don't like her but I'm still caught off guard by how pretty Victoria is this year. 

- If you told me Ashley was actually made in one of Mattel's factories and somehow came to life I'd believe you. She straight up looks like a barbie.

- What's tea on the Dallas mavericks? Did they move? Go bankrupt? It seems weird that they talk about it like we should know.

- On second thought I don't like Meredith's hair. It's too dark for her and also makes it look greasy. I'd like a light brown I think.

- Christina is not doing so crash hot in this interview. I thought she was pretty good usually.

- Did they lose a veteran between semi finals and finals? I thought it was 29 not 28.

- That receptionist lady's jacket is very ugly.

- You know someone's gorgeous when they can even make a yellow turtleneck dress work.

- Lisa's routine looked 🔥🔥 I wish we had more of it.

-  Kat was a mess. I hope she can recover but I'm not sure.

- Kristin's solo was pretty smart on her part.

- I like Madeline saying "I'm a daughter of a dcc but not a legacy." that just shows how humble she is.

- I was really disappointed by Meredith , Christina and Malena.

- I can't decide if Maddie's solo was good or bad. I think because it is so different to what everyone else did that there's nothing to compare which is probably a great idea.

- Kristin actually has improved.

- Bret seems sweet but I get "last couple of cuts" vibes from her.

- I love how they decorated the tables. It's so tacky but a fun tacky.

- I really like Madeline S.

- Are veterans allowed to re audition next year if they get cut? Or are they done?

- Lily's winning me over and she's FIT.

- I really hope Malena doesn't come back. I wish her well but she's devastating to watch.

- I think there's going to be a butt ton of cuts next week.

5 minutes ago, Primeallthetime said:

- Did they lose a veteran between semi finals and finals? I thought it was 29 not 28.

Lauren had to retire just before auditions due to an ongoing hamstring injury.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Primeallthetime said:

Well I was hoping we were on the short intro for good but I guess not.

- I had no idea Charlotte was Jerry's daughter.

- I know y'all don't like her but I'm still caught off guard by how pretty Victoria is this year. 

- If you told me Ashley was actually made in one of Mattel's factories and somehow came to life I'd believe you. She straight up looks like a barbie.

- What's tea on the Dallas mavericks? Did they move? Go bankrupt? It seems weird that they talk about it like we should know.

- On second thought I don't like Meredith's hair. It's too dark for her and also makes it look greasy. I'd like a light brown I think.

- Christina is not doing so crash hot in this interview. I thought she was pretty good usually.

- That receptionist lady's jacket is very ugly.

- You know someone's gorgeous when they can even make a yellow turtleneck dress work.

- Lisa's routine looked 🔥🔥 I wish we had more of it.

-  Kat was a mess. I hope she can recover but I'm not sure.

- Kristin's solo was pretty smart on her part.

- I like Madeline saying "I'm a daughter of a dcc but not a legacy." that just shows how humble she is.

- I was really disappointed by Meredith , Christina and Malena.

- I can't decide if Maddie's solo was good or bad. I think because it is so different to what everyone else did that there's nothing to compare which is probably a great idea.

- Kristin actually has improved.

- Bret seems sweet but I get "last couple of cuts" vibes from her.

- I love how they decorated the tables. It's so tacky but a fun tacky.

- I really like Madeline S.

- Are veterans allowed to re audition next year if they get cut? Or are they done?

- Lily's winning me over and she's FIT.

- I really hope Malena doesn't come back. I wish her well but she's devastating to watch.

- I think there's going to be a butt ton of cuts next week.

The Mavs got rid of their dance team this year like many nba teams have done 

1 minute ago, hereforthedrama said:

They can re-audition, but I don't think there's been a case of it in recent history. Most girls move on with their life. 

I can recall two vets that were cut and came back -- made it to finals but not to training camp  (during the time MTT has been filmed - before then, not sure).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Route66 said:

Dance, like hair, makeup, and fashion, has trends. There are moves that become so popular that they're ubiquitous if you show up to any dance competition or recital. Calypso leaps have been pretty popular for competition dancers for about twenty years. For some reason, people think it looks good to do a calypso leap into a roll on the floor. I have no idea why. The first time I saw someone do it, I thought they had messed up and rolled out of it. 

Honestly, it doesn't really matter who you hire to choreograph your solos or competition routines. 99% of the time you'll get the same 15-20 moves.

Related note: certain songs are popular every competition season too so if you go to a dance competition, you'll know what the it song after the first five times you hear it. One year it was Bang Bang, which isn't the worst song I've ever heard, but when you hear it a million times in one day, it really starts to grate.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

The Mavs got rid of their dance team this year like many nba teams have done 

hold up.. other NBA clubs to ??? For the same reason ?

I guess I like the style of NBA dancers as there is always something a little exciting about their performance/dance.

And that would mean more dancers trying out for DCC... Kelli's 400+ count, for first round, will grow to

Edited by sATL
9 minutes ago, sATL said:

hold up.. other NBA clubs to ??? For the same reason ?

I guess I like the style of NBA dancers as there is always something a little exciting about their performance.

And that would me more dancers trying out for DCC... Kelli's 400+ count, for first round, will grow to

Never mind 

Edited by Holly85
33 minutes ago, hereforthedrama said:

They can re-audition, but I don't think there's been a case of it in recent history. Most girls move on with their life. 

Erica Perry was cut and came back to make the squad.  She was shown on Season 2 being named to SG after coming back.

12 minutes ago, Primeallthetime said:

May I ask what are those reasons?

here is a story on the Magic's reasons ( link ) .

This whole issue would make a good DCC media training question.. I can see Brenda? (the new anchor who asked about MeToo last year) going after this question with a vengeance.. All we need is a NFL club to follow suit

BTW - I wonder if she broke down again this year when Victoria did her solo... she was almost weeping last year

Edited by sATL
2 minutes ago, sATL said:

BTW - I wonder if she broke down again this year when Victoria did her solo... she was almost weeping last year

We just saw Kelli freaking out this year.  I want to know what Judy was thinking cause as usual she "just had no words"

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

think that Bret and the show want me to think that she's feisty and driven because she's dancing despite having this joint issue, but all I can think about is how much damage she's doing to her body

THIS ^^^ She will ruin her body doing this. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Primeallthetime said:

May I ask what are those reasons?

not entirely comparable, but in Formula one racing, the grid girls lost their jobs because 'it was deemed inappropriate". Same goes for the kiss-misses at many pro-cycling games. 

Its new owners banned the use of grid girls in January, saying that it would no longer use female models in opening ceremonies at grands prix because the practice was inappropriate. It instead honors children involved in youth racing during the ceremonies

source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/sports/autoracing/grid-girls-f1.html

same goes for the walk-on girls in professional darts.
source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7970218/world-darts-championship-no-walk-on-girls/

Edited by Loodicrus
addition
11 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

And usually they are in your home state:)

Who says they have to be in your home state?  My niece is a competitive swimmer.  I live in California where the best swim coaches are.  My niece lives in the Southeast, and her coaches are great but they've not coached Olympians like the ones here have  You can bet if there's a chance to get her coaching here when she visits, I'm going to take it so she gets better.  If Victoria's family has access to a good coach in a different state, then why hate on them for taking advantage of the resources they have?  Maybe Gina turned them on to someone.  There's no shame in it.  The hate for this girl is scary sad.  She can't help who her family is and how many connections they have.  She has a dream and is just trying to pursue it.  It's obvious they're not playing favorites or she'd have been on the team last year.  And to think people DM'ed her hateful things is just disgusting.  You don't have to like someone but don't be mad when they take advantage of opportunities.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Route66 said:

All the money spent on those DCC prep classes is probably showing up in the auditions  If you have a half dozen girls taking the same prep class, I'm sure it's going to come out with all their choreography looking the same or at least similar.  The only way to avoid it is to hire someone to teach you who doesn't teach other girls.  

42 minutes ago, tdp1117 said:

It's obvious they're not playing favorites or she'd have been on the team last year. 

11 lbs kept her off the team last year, not lack of favoritism. 

Edited by Mardo2044
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, go4luca said:

Here's a small clip of Gina's we didn't get to see.  I know they can't show everyone but I was hoping to see Gina's.

IMO Gina is the best one out there.  She's also coming off more likable now.  If you remember Kelli and Judy were concerned about her because she came off stuck up when she was first in TC.  Now she's point of the triangle material for me.  I love to watch this girl perform.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4