Type keyword(s) to search

Jerry O - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I seem to remember Wendy saying that Jerry's show would be aired in her time slot on the Fox channel here in NYC.  "Jerry O" doesn't show up on my cable schedule or on the online TV guide I just checked.  Imma set my DVR to the Wendy rerun listed for 8/12 and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I seem to remember Wendy saying that Jerry's show would be aired in her time slot on the Fox channel here in NYC.  "Jerry O" doesn't show up on my cable schedule or on the online TV guide I just checked.  Imma set my DVR to the Wendy rerun listed for 8/12 and see what happens.

It doesn't show up on my cable schedule either (Optimum Long Island) but on Fox 5's local website it had an announcement that it is on Monday at 10 AM.

Edited by druzy

The opening of the show is Wendy's opening with images of Jerry inserted. Wendy walked out with Jerry (to mark her territory and show that it's still HER timeslot) said a few words and left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Quick thoughts on Jerry's first show - will probably be my only one unless Jerry really does something really interesting.

Started with Wendy and Jerry coming out on the stage, then Wendy welcoming him to the fold. Wendy leaves and Jerry starts his schtick.  First:  They spent no money for his set - it's Wendy's w/o the purple chair.  It's awkward - he has a Lucite pedestal about waist high with a laptop on it.  No chair - he stands the whole time.

He spent the first 15 minutes on gossip (Miley's divorce, Olivia Jade dissing the papparazzi, something on Mariah Carey) then showed a video of him trying to rent a Citibike in NYC and his credit card getting declined.  Commercial break

Back from commercial with segment where he does rapid-fire recaps of reality shows (like 90 Day Fiance) while a timer counts down.

Came back from commercial to a segment taped on the streets - asked people what they like and dislike about daytime shows.  Answers varied that they're dumb, tacky.  He asked for advice for his show; got positive reinforcement from most people.  He had a woman clapping while he pretended to control the applause sign.  Silly.

35 minutes into the show, guest Kelly Ripa comes out.   I remember her other visit when Jerry hosted, so I muted their drivel.  They did switch out Wendy's long couch for two chairs.  Halfway into the interview, they tried on ugly hats and sun visors for some reason, then tried to dance in them.  Looked dumb.  Then the rolled out this cake for some reason and broke to commercials.  

Show ended with Jerry in the audience with his arms around about 6 cohosts as he closed out the show.   Jerry wasn't too hyped up like in the past, and I only liked his gossip segment.  That held my attention.  

Edited by patty1h
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, druzy said:

The opening of the show is Wendy's opening with images of Jerry inserted. Wendy walked out with Jerry (to mark her territory and show that it's still HER timeslot) said a few words and left.

Yeah, the first 6 minutes is like a stupid tribute to Wendy (with Jerry trying on wigs and clothes). Then Wendy is prancing on stage with Jerry telling us how she's on her way to meet Andy Cohen and somebody else whose name I don't recall(or care to). Does Wendy OWN Jerry or his new show? Seems like it.

And 10 minutes in....I can't take Jerry. His goofy persona, loudness and poorly written jokes. Seems like a nice guy but I'm heading off to the I.D. Channel. 

I honestly think WW wants someone to ocassionally fill in for her who she feels comfortable won't upstage her. And why can't Jerry sit in the purple chair? He's Wendy's peon who has to stand up at a plexiglass podium! How degrading. 

And I thought this Jerry O show was a preview for a possible new daytime series for him? It's just Jerry filling in for Wendy. And his loud voice is giving me a headache.

Peace out, Jerry.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, druzy said:

Seriously, wtf? She was in the opening montage with her show music and some pics of Jerry thrown in, walked out with him, then there was another montage of Wendy only before they went to commercial.

If this is just Jerry filling in for her, that's one thing, but I thought this was HIS show, or a test run for a possible show. He says Wendy is his Oprah, well you don't see Oprah hogging Dr. Phil's opening so everyone remembers SHE got him his show. 

Anyway, the show was kinda meh and Jerry seems to have toned himself down somewhat, but I'll give him a pass and hope he gets up to speed. And hope that Wendy keeps her thirsty ass out of there. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, CynicalGirl said:

Jerry seems to have toned himself down somewhat

What? This is Jerry toned down? He reminds of those goofy boys in elementary school who think that they're funny when they make stupid faces or pick their nose. Or do chimpanzee imitations. 

• Love 2

Well, I decided to tape the show and give it a chance and watched the first half hour.  Not my favorite comedian but if his ratings can be anywhere enough to show that we don't need Wendy back, I will watch him or at least the first few minutes.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sorry friends. They are showing Wendy reruns instead of this new show. 😼

I don't know what could be worse...Jerry O show or WW reruns. But I feel for you Mindthinkr! You aren't missing much either way!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

If this is just Jerry filling in for her, that's one thing, but I thought this was HIS show, or a test run for a possible show. He says Wendy is his Oprah, well you don't see Oprah hogging Dr. Phil's opening so everyone remembers SHE got him his show. 

Just a second ago, there's a clip with Jerry previewing upcoming guests, and making sure to clarify that he's just filling in for Wendy.  I also got the impression that this was a test run for Jerry getting his own show. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Just a second ago, there's a clip with Jerry previewing upcoming guests, and making sure to clarify that he's just filling in for Wendy.  I also got the impression that this was a test run for Jerry getting his own show. 

Wendy stated that Jerry could use her studio and set up for these three weeks (she’s a producer on his show) while she is on hiatus. If it works out (ratings) then she would give him a permanent studio set up (across town) and they would run the show in another time slot. So this is basically a trial run for him. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Jerry is too fucking old for that sophmoric shit. How does his wife put up with it?!

One can only imagine having sex with Jerry...constant joking, giggling. He's not even sexy. Men that act goofy, no matter how hot looking they are, lose all of their sexiness when they behave like a teenager. 

39 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Could only watch 10 minutes..... nuff said - not for me.  The word that comes to mind is pathetic.  JMO

AMEN to that, Fishy!😁 

• Love 1

It is an eye opener to read all of your thoughts and opinions on Jerry. I’m sure that Wendy is smug that she’s in no danger of losing her show and probably delights in the negativity I see here. 

I’ll come for the snark in case someone here does catch a bit of a show and posts about it. 

• Love 2
On 8/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, chenoa333 said:

And 10 minutes in....I can't take Jerry. His goofy persona, loudness and poorly written jokes. Seems like a nice guy but I'm heading off to the I.D. Channel. 

On 8/12/2019 at 6:40 PM, Fishy said:

Could only watch 10 minutes..... nuff said - not for me.  The word that comes to mind is pathetic.  JMO

Yep. 10 minutes on day two. Can't take it, really bad.

• Love 2

After 4 days of him being on the air, my cable provider has finally changed their online guide.  Instead of the schedule having Wendy reruns in the listing, they now have "NEW Jerry O'" in the Wendy time slot.

Well, I guess I'm the weirdo in this bunch, because I enjoyed this week. The first few days were a little rough, but I think he's getting more comfortable. Yeah, he's a bigtime goof, but that's what I like about him. I certainly prefer him over Wendy. (And it still pisses me off that she's gotta plaster her own mug all over the opening) 

• Love 2

I watched a bit. There are a few fun moments and some gossip that is made more interesting because Jerry has a lot of insider info on Hollywood, BUT he makes every damn story about himself and/or his wife. Did you know that she was a model and always looks super gorgeous!!!!!!! That has to stop. 

He is like a "look at me! look at me!" 7-year old who doesn't have the self awareness to know when to pull back. A lot of his jokes are not funny. A lot of his bits are not entertaining. His impressions are not good. Calm down Jerry, you are not the second-coming of Robin Williams (who admittedly was also too much for me), just give me some good gossip and share some personal tidbits when they are relevant. 

• Love 6

I tuned in for a few minutes today and what I saw made me roll my eyes so hard.  Jerry was doing the gossip segment and started a story about Anne Hathaway for 30 seconds, but then turned her story into a 5 minute history lesson on himself.  He showed pics of himself as a chubby kid in "Stand By Me" and told how his mother got him a trainer as a teen and how this trainer had Jerry write down everything he eats... blah blah.   I zoned out and had to pinch myself because it was almost like listening to a Wendy tangent.

Next thing, Jerry is hypered up about the upcoming mystery guest!! Stay tuned!  Who rolls out onto the stage by stale old Andy Cohen, who was just on Wendy less than a month ago.  That's when I bailed.

ADDED:  Hey @TVbitch, looks like we were typing our comments at the same time.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 4

I can’t decide if I’m missing something or not by it not being available here. I am grateful to y’all who post about it. Sometimes the thread is better than the show and y’all have great humor as well as being no nonsense. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I can’t decide if I’m missing something or not by it not being available here. I am grateful to y’all who post about it. Sometimes the thread is better than the show and y’all have great humor as well as being no nonsense. 

Totally agree. And for those who watch, if there's any new gossip we're missing, maybe post a recap of the good stuff? 😂

• Love 2
On 8/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, TVbitch said:

I can't y'all ...I can't. Let me know if it gets any better. 

Jerry is too fucking old for that sophmoric shit. How does his wife put up with it?!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

People, I have lost a friend over this stupid show.  Background - we have been friends for 30 years.  She always was a little tough chick who cussed and gave up a job to be a roadie......anyways we always kept in touch and about 6 years ago she found out she had brain cancer.  I bought her grocerys for 2.5 years.  I stuck by her even when she was ripping people off.  She would use their phone number to cash in their Kroger gas............She was so excited about Jerry O and I said I had seen it and wasn't impressed.  She went crazy.  She had an 8 hour tantrum with text messages with voice 😖 and I blocked her.  I had no idea she could still leave voice mails.  I deleted 30 lengthy texts with rows of emojis, all read aloud, and 21 voicemails.  So Jerry O can suck it. 

Yes, I get it that the cancer in her brain has changed her, not much though, and I shouldn't have to deal with this.  She called me every name in the book.

Edited by jumper sage

@jumper sage sometimes you need to cut toxic people out of your life. There's just so much one can take. She sounds dangerous. 

There is something different about Jerry this time around. I liked him better when he was filling in for Wendy. 

Edited by druzy
  • Love 1

I think when Jerry was actually filling in when she was out "sick" he was keeping the same format (Hot Topics, shoe cam, Ask Wendy) really just being a guest host, and was really OTT paying "homage" to Wendy. Now he's trying to make his own show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, CynicalGirl said:

He really does know his reality tv. I remember him saying he got into it after his kids were born; his wife was working and he was a stay at home dad and started getting into all the shows. 

My understanding was that this is a 3- week "preview" of Jerry's show, if it gets picked up. He's just using Wendy's time slot now because it's available. It doesn't seem they are auditioning him as WW's replacement, but who knows. She's a producer because of course she wants to take credit if things work out for him. But, again I think WW'S limelight stealing in the show opener is over the top, even for her.

I don't think Jerry's moved his family to NY; they are just there with him for the 3 weeks of filming. 

Oh o.k. Now i get it.  Thanks.  He was using her time slot.  Now, after today, I would love if he took over her whole show as long as he has good guests who seem interested to come on the show. He has a lot of friends, including Andy Cohen.  I’ll bet Jerry and his wife would do great on Beverly Hills.  It needs a big pick me up, but maybe he could do much better with his own show.  IMO, talking about all the reality shows is much better than talking about rap stars who I know nothing about.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I was channel surfing, watched about two minutes, and kept on surfing.  The man is insane.  Also, WTF is up with his hair?  Is it all his?  

😁 I was thinking the same thing! It looked like a really bad wig! 

Other than that momentary chuckle about his hair...I changed channels.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, druzy said:

There is something different about Jerry this time around. I liked him better when he was filling in for Wendy. 

I agree.  He is trying to be like her and it doesn't work for him AT ALL.

14 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

😁 I was thinking the same thing! It looked like a really bad wig! 

See above. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Watched again today.  The husband was hysterical.  Jerry had a good guest on again.  Love the guests.  When’s the last time WW had a good guest?  Show was great .. no tea, cough drops, q- tips, choking, etc., just FUN.  I could never go back to what was.  Jerry knows everybody in show business.  Bet he could get every housewife on his own show.  Maybe in California?  I can’t imagine what’s gonna be when his time is up.

• Love 2
On 8/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, Ohwell said:

I was channel surfing, watched about two minutes, and kept on surfing.  The man is insane.  Also, WTF is up with his hair?  Is it all his?  

LOL!!  I was thinking he needs a haircut...

On 8/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, druzy said:

. She sounds dangerous.

Totally...

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I can’t imagine what’s gonna be when his time is up.

Wendy is coming back. I like Jerry as a person. He seems like a regular guy...no snobbery because he's a celebrity. Just a good soul. I can't watch him for more than a few minutes. He's just hyper and goofy.

HOWEVER, I would take him over WW any day, any time, anywhere!

• Love 4

Omg .. watched again today (Wed) and the show was A+.  We were laughing so hard.  He was talking about his kids and John Stamos.  Then, Gina from Housewives of OC gave him a “talk like a New Yorker”lesson.  Hysterical, both of them.  As a New Yorker myself, I could relate.  The whole show was fabulous.  Only hope he now gets his own show which he deserves.  Never thought I’d say that.  I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten his own show thus far.  How will we know if he does get his own show, and when?  He’s perfect for the morning.😂

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Omg .. watched again today (Wed) and the show was A+.  We were laughing so hard.  He was talking about his kids and John Stamos.  Then, Gina from Housewives of OC gave him a “talk like a New Yorker”lesson.  Hysterical, both of them.  As a New Yorker myself, I could relate.  The whole show was fabulous.  Only hope he now gets his own show which he deserves.  Never thought I’d say that.  I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten his own show thus far.  How will we know if he does get his own show, and when?  He’s perfect for the morning.😂

Im glad lots of people are enjoying Jerry. Maybe in time he'll get better at appealing to more of us. I just know I would like ANYBODY to replace WW. And Jerry deserves it. He's always presented himself as a decent person. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I agree with you 100%. I really enjoyed today's show.

But just wondering, why aren't you posting this in the Jerry O forum?

Today's show was the best one so far, IMO. Really funny.

The Stamos stuff was priceless. Someone here questioned how Rebecca could put up with Jerry, and all I can say is, they definitely must share a sense of humor. Some women might not really like their current husband talking about her ex, but apparently it's not a problem. I remember he had her on once when he guest-hosted WW, and they did a "hot seat" segment when he asked her a bunch of questions about Stamos. She played right along. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, CynicalGirl said:

Because the Jerry O forum is new and some of us don't know which rules apply if we're commenting on being glad WW is gone but we're not yet feeling the Jerry love.

That would be me. So I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. When WW returns next week or whenever she's coming back, some of us are going to comment on the WW thread stating that we aren't happy she's back and we wish Jerry was still on. So now I'm confused. Is that a comment I should post in the Jerry O thread, or here in the WW thread? 

I'm not being disrespectful of your annoyance with some of our comments belonging in the WW thread and some of our comments belonging in the Jerry O thread. It's just new and I'm not stupid...just misplacing my posts. I know you weren't referring to me personally but that's MY explanation as to why I'M misplacing posts. ❤

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, CynicalGirl said:

I’m glad u mentioned that.  Is he under this forum that we are on?  Under “the Jerry OConnel Show?

8 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Because the Jerry O forum is new and some of us don't know which rules apply if we're commenting on being glad WW is gone but we're not yet feeling the Jerry love.

That would be me. So I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. When WW returns next week or whenever she's coming back, some of us are going to comment on the WW thread stating that we aren't happy she's back and we wish Jerry was still on. So now I'm confused. Is that a comment I should post in the Jerry O thread, or here in the WW thread? 

I'm not being disrespectful of your annoyance with some of our comments belonging in the WW thread and some of our comments belonging in the Jerry O thread. It's just new and I'm not stupid...just misplacing my posts. I know you weren't referring to me personally but that's MY explanation as to why I'M misplacing posts. ❤

I’m confused all around, lol.  I’m just barely getting used to the new forum set up as it is.  Therefore, I’m just gonna lay low and see what happens in the coming weeks.  I think we have to see who’s coming back, who’s not, etc.  Who knows what’s going on?  Have to wait and see.

• Love 1

I didn't ask the question out of annoyance, just curiosity! I don't even have 500 posts and certainly no authority around here. I just know the mods set up a separate thread for "Jerry O" (it's here in the "other non-fiction shows" area) but there aren't many posts there. Obviously, there is some overlap between his and WW shows.

I was going to comment on today's show in his thread but then saw Gem posted hers here in WW. I just went ahead and posted mine in his instead of responding here, since it really didn't involve WW at all. *shrugs*

Maybe the mods can clarify.