Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Reunion

• Start Topic

It feels a bit awkward so far.  It is kind of odd that they are using their names, and their stories, but the supporting characters are fake.  I get why but it makes it feel odd.  I think some of their interactions are off as well.  Again, it makes sense but it lacks a good flow.  

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, alexa said:

It feels a bit awkward so far.  It is kind of odd that they are using their names, and their stories, but the supporting characters are fake.  I get why but it makes it feel odd.  I think some of their interactions are off as well.  Again, it makes sense but it lacks a good flow.  

28 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

This really isn’t good in my opinion , but I’ll watch it for the nostalgia . I’m trying to figure out if it’s supposed to be a comedy or not . 

Playing versions of themselves with fake supporting characters is breaking my brain.

I think not knowing what this is supposed to be exactly is happening with the actors too and that is why it feels so awkward.

Brian Austin Green and Ian Ziering feel familiar.  I'm not sure if its that they are just straight playing their public personas or if they are playing it as David and Steve (or Fin).  But they are the only two that aren't making me distracted by how unfamiliar they are.

Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth are definitely playing this off as a spoof.  They are basically doing the unauthorized 90120 tv movie, except they are the actors.

Gabrielle Carteris and Jason Priestley seem to be playing versions of themselves but are going for some level of realness or gravitas.  Not succeeding, but trying.

Its disorienting.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 21

Well, and further it isn’t really a spoof with someone like Tori because these are her real problems.  So if she thinks it is funny or a play on a pretend problem, it is not which makes it confusing.  This is bad, and also without Luke it is missing something.  

• Love 2

I'm not crying at young Luke Perry, you're crying.

Other than that, I can't decide...it had some laugh out loud moments.  I know enough about Tori, Jennie, and Brian in real life to get their lives in this version.  I don't know enough about JP or Ian. 

Edited by BrindaWalsh
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, alexa said:

I get why but it makes it feel odd.  I think some of their interactions are off as well.  Again, it makes sense but it lacks a good flow.  

I felt the same way. I get it, and I get what they're going for, but it's not really flowing right yet.

I also think the stalker THINKS that he's Brian Austin Green's son, but he's going to turn out to be Jennie and Jason's lovechild. They're paying homage to the secret child storyline from Soapdish. I mean, c'mon, look at the hair:

latest?cb=20190314151657

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this. I didn’t have any expectations, but since Wednesday night television isn’t that great, I decided to check it out. My only complaint was that when they did the tribute to Luke Perry at the end,  I wish he would have gotten the entire screen instead of Brandon and Dylan together. 

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Moxie Cat said:

Man, I loved it....totally enjoyed all the callbacks and nostalgia. That's OK, I can hang out in the Unpopular Opinion corner!

I do wish I knew more about their (real) personal lives because I think a lot was going on there. Didn't Ian really have a a hot, younger blonde wife years ago whom he divorced? And I don't know anything about Jason's real family situation or how many times JG has been divorced.

Tori and the kids were spot on, though there was quite a bit of digging at "Dean's" lack of ambition/employment!

Sorry, Tori....that may be the same red dress but it was definitely let out! She's obviously still slender but if you watch "Spring Dance," TS was absolutely tiny back then.

I don't see how Tori, when she was writing this (with Jennie) didn't ask herself, "Why am I still with this bum?"

• LOL 11
  • Love 10

I actually loved this and I'll be tuning in next week, lol.

I figured out they were playing fictional versions of themselves when "Brian Austin Green" was married to "Shay" when we know he's married to Megan Fox and we know Jason Priestly is not married to Vanessa Lachey.

I'm trying to figure out if Tori Spelling is dragging her real life husband by having "Tori Spelling's" husband be a lazy trifling bum on the show.

LOL @ Nate telling "Tori" the kids were watching Mommy on TV but they'd be bored soon.

LOL @ "Gabrielle" getting her lesbian on.  And LOL at "Gabrielle" being a grandmother since she was dern near 30 playing high school Andrea.

Sorry, Tori....that may be the same red dress but it was definitely let out! She's obviously still slender but if you watch "Spring Dance," TS was absolutely tiny back then.

"Ian" dragged "Tori" about the dress and mentioned she could only get into it with 3 pairs of Spanx.

I don't see how Tori, when she was writing this (with Jennie) didn't ask herself, "Why am I still with this bum?"

I'm sure she is.  Tori has 5 kids.  "Tori" mentioned she has 6 mouths to feed.  Tori knows "Nate"/Dean is a bum but maybe Dean is useful to babysit the kids while Tori goes to work and she wouldn't have that if she kicked him to the curb.

Andrea isn't the lesbian, "Gabrielle" is the one exploring the other side...

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 19
3 minutes ago, seasons said:

Not really much of a shock that Andrea might swing the other way.

I don’t know, I think the stereotype of the smart, nerdy girl being a lesbian is pretty cliche.

• Love 11

Tori's face.  Yikes.

Ian has not aged a damn day. 

I didn't HATE it.  But I think this could have been paced and plotted better.  (And they should have gone more meta and let Jason direct this episode.) I did like the mini shout outs to the egg, Color Me Badd and the dress but there were too many awkward pauses in between.

That all said...every tribute they did for Luke my heart broke for them as you can tell he was loved by all of them.  And the final shot of him...I cried.  It hurts that he's gone.  And in two months, he gets honored again on Riverdale.  

I hope this picks up the pace once Shannen and Christine enter the mix. Edit: but for a short term commitment, I’m all in. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 16
10 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

Tori seems to know what her issues are, but she doesn't do anything about them.

As someone who really loved "Mother, May I  Sleep with Danger?" I really loved the callback by having Ivan Sergei play the husband. Can Kellie Martin show up as an obsessive fan?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

I'm not crying at young Luke Perry, you're crying.

How dare you.  I'm not crying.  😢

So far the parts I like most are Brian and Ian. 

I think there is the potential that Shannen deciding to do this may save the whole thing.

I like the spin that fandom, thirty years later, likes Brenda/Shannen better on a live feed than the rest of them collectively in a room while the cast still hates her.  I was dreading that this was going to be one long 'I hate Brenda' marathon.  It needed to be balanced out.  And I'm kind of intrigued whether Shannen does good works or if she is just screwing with the cast by bringing video of cute animals to fan events.  I kind of think its the latter and I hope she tortures them..  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

The whole thing with her stealing the dress was just ridiculous and that ruined it for me.  Also the predictability.  Ian taking about his perfect marriage you knew wasn’t.  But the accidentally FaceTiming him while having sex and they all saw it.  So stupid.  And the typical lesbian stuff that has to be in every tv show.  I wouldn’t have a problem with it if I didn’t always feel so forced.  And normally you just don’t ask a stranger their sexual preference.   Oh and the cliche after sex scene when they both fall back on the bed.   Please get creative.   

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

And the typical lesbian stuff that has to be in every tv show.  I wouldn’t have a problem with it if I didn’t always feel so forced.

It kind of would have been interesting if they had done that with Brian Austin Green instead because I remember there used to be rumors floating around about him being bisexual.

• Love 3

I liked it. I knew going in that it was going to be similar to Curb Your Enthusiasm. Maybe they haven’t rivaled that show, but it’s nice to see the cast have a chance at some campy humor. Plus, they have promised to have a show within a show that will satisfy those wanting scenes similar to the original show. 

• Love 10

I did enjoy Gabrielle becoming a literal grandma at the beginning of the show, taking a bus to the convention and suddenly wondering whether she might be a lesbian.  

It was a little disturbing seeing present day Tori with the much more normal looking 1990 version of herself in the background while they were watching the first season of the show.  

I'd also like to know what Ian Ziering and Brian Austin Green do to stay so young looking.  I mean, Ian is 55!   

• Love 11

That. Was not good.

Seeing Shannen and then Luke at the end were the only good things. It didn’t help that Gabrielle, Jason and Brian all rolled their eyes and gave Shannen dirty looks when in reality, I think Jason and Shannen mended fences? Too on the nose with that ridiculous drama when Shannen left.

Add me to saying YIKES! To Tori’s face. She’s barely recognizable.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I will be TeamBrenda for life but dayum, Jennie is fucking funny.  I feel like I am betraying Shannen by saying that.

Jennie is my fave so far. She's hilarious and she looks great.

I think Tori is funny also. This style is similar to her, So NoTORIous show and she was very funny in that.

Can't wait for Shannen to get into it.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, alexa said:

It is kind of odd that they are using their names, and their stories, but the supporting characters are fake.

Yeah, and some of the scenes felt personal, but not in a good way, like Tori needing money and some of the interactions on the plane.  With them playing themselves, I kept wondering if this is how they saw themselves, and if so, why would they share that?  If some of it was supposed to be funny, it didn't come across that way.  Jennie and Jason didn't come across looking that great, and I'd be squimingly uncomfortable if I were Jason's RL wife.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I like the spin that fandom, thirty years later, likes Brenda/Shannen better on a live feed than the rest of them collectively in a room while the cast still hates her.  I was dreading that this was going to be one long 'I hate Brenda' marathon.  It needed to be balanced out.  And I'm kind of intrigued whether Shannen does good works or if she is just screwing with the cast by bringing video of cute animals to fan events.  I kind of think its the latter and I hope she tortures them..  

I mean, it seems to be true. Shannen Doherty is getting nothing but a lovefest now by the fandom especially after surviving her bout with breast cancer. For obvious reasons, they're not writing that in, but they are going with the fact that Shannen is well-beloved by the fandom.

I would love it if she absolutely tortures them.

• Love 16

I enjoyed it. It was fun to watch faux versions of people who were famous when we were young doing what we imagine they are doing now. Perfect summer fluff. I think I'd actually enjoy this more than a straight reboot, because we get to be in the joke somewhat. 

• Love 17

TIL that Andrea Zuckerman was the teen lesbian crush of the 90's.

I did enjoy Gabrielle becoming a literal grandma at the beginning of the show, taking a bus to the convention and suddenly wondering whether she might be a lesbian.

Although to be honest, this kind of stuff does happen. Meredith Baxter-Birney and Kelly McGillis spring to mind immediately. I also have a friend in high school who only had boyfriends when I knew her but she's married to a woman.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

How do we know this?

Hmm, good point. I thought if that was in, it would have been mentioned right then and there because it would have gone with the tone of the St. Shannen introduction, but I figured they were swapping out Shannen's real-life breast cancer redemption arc with her being an animal rights activist and gaining love that way.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s also interesting that Jason got bumped from top billing to Gabrielle being the first in the opening credits.

No, the intro made it clear it was going be done alphabetical. I guess to make sure there wasn't a fight about that.

I like part of it but for the most part I didn't enjoy it. I'm just here for Shannen/Branda and JP. 

Dylan/Brenda/Brendon were always the main reason I watch this reruns of this show as a kid. I'm sad one of them won't be in it. 

Anyway, because of Shannen I will give it a chance but I'm one foot outside the door.

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 7