Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E13: Live Results 1

• Start Topic

The acts from the previous night's show learn who will move on to the semi-final round of competition. Viewers will also have one last chance to send their favorite performer to the next round.

4 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I don't always watch this, so I don't know who that blond...I hesitate to call her a singer...is, but she isn't a former winner, is she?  She stinks!!! Just my opinion, of course...ymmv

Do you mean the judges? The blonde is Julianne Hough. Best known for Dancing with the Stars and a forgettable remake of Footloose.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Do you mean the judges? The blonde is Julianne Hough. Best known for Dancing with the Stars and a forgettable remake of Footloose.

No,I meant that girl croaking out "You're No Good"

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

No,I meant that girl croaking out "You're No Good"

Oh!...I already forgot who sang. Or what color her hair was...That was Bianca Ryan. She was the first season winner (when she was 11). Then she came back for the champions season.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Oh!...I already forgot who sang. Or what color her hair was...That was Bianca Ryan. She was the first season winner (when she was 11). Then she came back for the champions season.

Oh, ok...wow...Well thanks for the reply!!

• Love 1

The judges didn't look particularly happy that Alex Dowis is moving on. What the hell was that reaction? (And Gabrielle looks like a fuzzy Jackie O.)

Luke Islam vs G-Force, no contest there.

Jay Leno freaking out over helping Shin Lim was...fun. He was probably just excited he doesn't have to judge this shit this time.

"I know the math 'cuz I'm Asian." lol

Kodi Lee vs Voices of Service - BOTH OF YOU!!!! I had a feeling. Simon acting like this kind of "surprise" is something new is just stupid.

Messoudi Brothers vs Bir Khalsa vs Greg Morton: Huh. Just based on comments here, I though Bir Khalsa would go over Greg. What "material" is Greg supposed to get written? He does movie quotes. Not exactly a stand-up comic.

Dunkin Save: Ansley Burns vs Emerald Belles vs Sophie Pecora. Meh. I didn't care (or vote) but she was my guess. Oh, god, stop crying. Sure, Simon, "the public" brought her back. Uh huh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Wow, Sophie's Youtube army didn't come to her twitter rescue. It wouldn't shock me if she's the one WC to be asked back into the Semifinal rounds. Who voted for Ansley? Cause she was barely tolerable last night...

I'm reasonably impressed that America managed to vote for the Strength Brothers, Greg Morton, and Alex Dowis. I was completely expecting tonight to be an avalanche of singers and maybe Greg getting the one non-singer spot.

Wonder what the technical difficulty with the voting was that made them go Top 6 instead of a judges save?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Wonder what the technical difficulty with the voting was that made them go Top 6 instead of a judges save?

I dunno but I wish they'd keep it that way. If it's supposed to be audience vote the judges shouldn't have a say.

• Love 5

I missed the results show because some idiot decided today would be a good day to shoot six Philly cops. Thankfully, they all survived. Fool still hasn't surrendered.

Looks like I actually voted for two of the acts that went through. Yay me!

• Love 2

Didn't Brian King Joseph have some degenerative disease last year. He was losing his ability to play?  Were we supposed to forget about that? 

I like the movie guy. I was so relieved that I don't have to fast forward through anymore salt in the eyes and melon smashing. 

Ansley isn't good, but she wasn't up against much in the Dunkin' Save round. 

I don't remember who Alex was up against, but the judges didn't look very happy about him going through over the other act.  They were all like "What the hell".  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Didn't Brian King Joseph have some degenerative disease last year. He was losing his ability to play?  Were we supposed to forget about that? 

I like the movie guy. I was so relieved that I don't have to fast forward through anymore salt in the eyes and melon smashing. 

Ansley isn't good, but she wasn't up against much in the Dunkin' Save round. 

I don't remember who Alex was up against, but the judges didn't look very happy about him going through over the other act.  They were all like "What the hell".  

Yes, BKJ was diagnosed with neuropathy.  Hopefully the disease hasn't progressed and is even in remission.  It was nice to see him again!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Messoudi Brothers vs Bir Khalsa vs Greg Morton: Huh. Just based on comments here, I though Bir Khalsa would go over Greg. What "material" is Greg supposed to get written? He does movie quotes. Not exactly a stand-up comic.

See this is an issue I have with this show. They try to act like a lot of these people have no prior history, however, in this case Howie knows better. Greg is no newbie he has been around for a while and actually is a standup comic. He mixes the voices into the routine:

I think Howie is basically trying to tell him you need to do a routine instead of just random voices if you want to advance farther.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

As far as the results go the 75 year old network executives  America got it wrong. Trying to save the results for the end of the post is stupid, since tonight especially, I am not like one in a sea of other reporters each with an audio recorder up to a hockey player's face giving you the exclusive details. Ansley Burns, Emerald Belles and Sophie Pecora are in the bottom 3, which is more or less accurate in terms of objective stink. Simon had to be asked what he thought of the results twice, since he was daydreaming of being anywhere but there (I wonder if he'd prefer this gig or going back to sitting beside an overweight and sweaty Randy Jackson for hours a day).

The act comprising of Brian King Joseph, Sofie Dossi, and Bianca Ryan (who I literally thought was 40, since I had never heard of her) was kinda lame, especially since Sofie was hanging from the ceiling and barely shown. Sofie being so familiar with a ring that size likely means she'd laugh at my proposal with my Grandmother's wedding band (nothing to do with me not knowing her at all, of course). The song was "You're No Good", though the song's meaning couldn't be fully comprehended, as Bianca was not singing directly at Ansley Burns.

Carmen Carter getting eliminated is no surprise at all, as soul music in a business or record player sense doesn't move the needle, however it does cause me to inject one into myself seeking relief from auditory pain. I don't see the appeal in Alex Dowis, especially since last night it looked like he was painting with radioactive material.

Luke Islam going through was obvious - talent wise he's good, but to be completely serious, he should lose some weight. When I was his age, one of my friends weighed like 230 pounds and his poor health was really obvious even back then. It might affect his singing career if it continues, so "lose weight" shouldn't be seen as a diss or anything. G-Force will likely dissolve so there can be 5 solo careers that do absolutely nothing.

I wasn't a fan of Shin's trick at all - the outcome was good, but it was like 5+ minutes of b.s., especially if you were in the majority of people at home who didn't run to go ruin what was probably your only deck of cards just to participate.

Kodi and Voices of Service both go through due to the guilt trips of varying degrees employed. I look forward to this season being over so there is no more rabid clapping for sob stories.

Massoudi Brothers go through, proving that they would've been eliminated in the first round if they had fat sunken in recessed hook nosed mouth breather faces - I'm not surprised or annoyed that it's quite likely a lot of women vote for them because of their looks, especially since I rave about every attractive girl on here and do a baseball slide into my TV's off button when a woman over 30 appears. Greg Morton going through was really surprising, because the vibe of his performance yesterday seemed very underwhelming - he'll get eliminated next time for sure. Bir Khalsa going home sucks, especially for them, as that might mean a 20 hour flight in a coach seat for the giant.

Ansley ends up going through, which instantly starts the flow of tears for her as well as the tortured viewers at home (though I'm sure tears turned into rage for them). I actually wanted Sophie to stay, despite not liking any of her performances, however that works. If any of the 18 year old Emerald Belles want to take out some frustration by kicking me in the teeth, I can consult my dentist on a treatment plan and we can go from there.

Show was boring, but what do you expect. Somehow this hour long show felt way longer than yesterday's, probably because yesterday had actual acts, compared to today's consisting of 45 minutes of spotlights lowering on acts staring off into space and Terry cramming doughnuts in his mouth.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
Typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

- Gabrielle looked dressed for a funeral, which is appropriate for this lame season.

- Every time Simon is polled about the contestants up for the Dunkin' Save, he genuinely can't believe those were the results. Does he expect everyone to deserve to make it through and have the show continue in perpetuity? (please, God, no)

- Bianca Ryan and Brian King Joseph did a great duet, while accompanied by Sofie Dossi who looked like a kid stuck in the monkey bars awaiting help from a stage tech. I thought Bianca was a young looking 35 year old, not 24.

- GForce probably took their loss in stride because Uncle Simon wants to sign them ASAP. I wonder who will be the Kelly Rowland of the group? Which is to say, they'll all flop.

- When Luke made it through, Terry said to Julianne "what do you think? he's your golden buzzer" as if pressing a button to say the audition was good means the judges become their individual mentors. I'd wish the "cancel recording" button on my remote was golden to easily identify my escape route from this show, pretending my addiction to torment wasn't already too far gone. While America has come a "broad way" in their treatment of men in the arts, I still don't get who the target demo for Luke could be.

- I wish the show went out on a Lim by having Shin perform instead of dragging the results out even longer. Well, kind of, since I thought this was disappointing. The setup took forever and the payoff was underwhelming. Did Shin keep saying there were 3 million people watching? A bold but possible prediction that 9 million viewers are going to soon call it quits.

- Voices of Service continues to make it through based on anything but their voices, which makes me wish some of the voting public confused the term "band of brothers" with the Messoudis. Anyways, VoS' patriotism reminds me to give thanks for the 50 varying states of apathy, boredom and time-checking delirium that their music inspires.

- A real question: if Kodi gets eliminated, would he understand what's going on? I assume he would, but sometimes it seems like what he says is kind of rehearsed.

- Doesn't Ansley know that her frequent tantrums are going to strain her voice? Maybe that's part of her plan, to be put on vocal rest and carried through to the finals based on pity. Greg Morton should do a brief impression of her in his next performance, that's all of her we ever need to hear again. If her outbursts keep getting amped up, she'll fall on the floor and Bir Khalsa might think they have a volunteer. They should've gone through, by the way.

Edited by Neet
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

especially since Sofie was hanging from the ceiling and barely shown.

Granted, I wasn't totally paying attention during the performance, but I saw her at the beginning and then by the time they were done and Terry came out to talk to them I glanced up and had totally forgotten she was in even it. "Oh, yeah, she was doing something, wasn't she?" And I even liked her a lot during her season.

6 hours ago, Neet said:

- Doesn't Ansley know that her frequent tantrums are going to strain her voice? Maybe that's part of her plan, to be put on vocal rest and carried through to the finals based on pity.

Not trying to rag on a kid, but I feel like her tears are all part of the manipulation along with Simon’s “Stop! Doing something else!” shenanigans. She’s 13. Most of the even younger kids we’ve seen take the news (either good or bad) with more maturity. I feel like the producers figured out she can cry convincingly on command and told her to play it up.

• Love 2

I know she's a kid, but Ansley is pretty dreadful IMO. Granted, I hate country music, but overlooking that I still didn't think she would beat the other two acts. My husband said, "Oh yeah, she'll win." to which I replied, "Why would you think that? She was terrible?!" and he simply said, "Texas."

Yup.

I was shocked that the Massoudi Brothers and Greg Morton beat out Bir Khalsa - though I kind of get it. I was squirming watching them and it seems America doesn't have the stomach to put acts like that through very far. This is only my second season watching, but that seems the pattern. I thought Greg Morton was pretty terrible - he wasn't really even doing impressions, just saying movie lines in a loud voice through most of it. I don't find that entertaining at all. 

I personally really like Alex Dowis. I find what he does endlessly more entertaining than say...Greg Morton or Ansley. 

G-Force is so contrived and horrible that I felt almost offended watching them. I'm so glad they are gone. 

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 4

I haven't watched yet, since I don't have tv service I have to wait a day for HULU. I've been reading the post and thank god GForce is gone but I can't believe the wild card girl went through, the other night I couldn't understand a word she was singing. 

I don't vote even if I had tv service I wouldn't vote but those high kick girls probably get a lot of votes because if each person can vote 10 times  just think that's mom, dad, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends plus general population that likes them. That's a lot of people.

Well after reading who went through I'm in no hurry to watch. I'll see how bored I am when I get home from work.

• Love 1

I HATED G-Force, but my 8 year old daughter LOVED them, so...

Super surprised the brothers & Alex got through, but happy. I couldn't deal with those G-Force girls one more second. Ansley is super annoying, another one my kids love. But her & Luke hugging at the end was very sweet. 

9 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Ansley Burns, Emerald Belles and Sophie Pecora are in the bottom 3, which is more or less accurate in terms of objective stink.

They were actually the middle 3. Carmen, Bir Khalsa, & G-Force were in the bottom. 

• Love 1

I don't vote even if I had tv service I wouldn't vote but those high kick girls probably get a lot of votes because if each person can vote 10 times...

I thought this before about big-group acts (like the year the tap-dancing Dads were on.)  It doesn't seem to work out that way, though; the connections might give them a few thousand more votes--and might be why they were eligible for the Dunkin' Save, but not enough to win--which is why they donut go through.

Because InternetToughGuy doesn't have a monopoly on puns (his are better, though.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The best moment for me, by far, was when everyone was marveling at Shin's trick and Gabby's cards did NOT match!  Several in the audience had the same experience.  Ya can't fix stoopid.

I was happily stunned that Morton was not a Dunkin save deal.  It was great to not have the jidges have any part in the decision (at least ON AIR).  You can bet the ranch Simon had a say prior to air.  Remember...votes ultimately do not matter.  They are mere suggestions.  Absolutely everything is legally subject to TPTB whims.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Keekski said:

They were actually the middle 3. Carmen, Bir Khalsa, & G-Force were in the bottom. 

I stand corrected 🙇‍♂️ - odd about Bir Khalsa being in the bottom, especially in a country with 40% obesity levels, you'd think an act consisting of destroying fruit would resonate.

• LOL 2

Wow, was I wrong about the high kicking girls. Thanks for explaining the way that works marketdoctor :-) I thought for sure such a large group would have an advantage.

I wished Bir Khalsa made it through instead of wild card crying girl.

Shin Lim's act was boring and I noticed Simon, Gabby and Howie didn't hold up there cards at the end. But at least Jay Leno was awake lol.

Is only 3 million people watching AGT? I don't think your math is correct Shin ;-)

9 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Is only 3 million people watching AGT? I don't think your math is correct Shin 😉

Since the viewing numbers are usually around 12 million, he was probably self aware enough that 9 million had already fallen asleep during his act.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I can't believe the wild card girl went through, the other night I couldn't understand a word she was singing. 

You won't be able to understand a word she's saying after she's "saved by America" either.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:12 PM, ams1001 said:

Dunkin' Save...well, I'd send 'em all home. Ansley looks like she's crying already..

Totally agree with this. I was pleased to see my three least favorite acts in the bottom and was bummed to find out one of them would be saved. I decided I'd rather see the dancing girls again if I HAD to, and was going to vote for them but my Internet picked that time to go down. After I saw the voting progress I figured my votes would have made no difference anyway.

As for the other pairings, the right ones were sent home IMO. The only time I yelled "HECK NO!" was when the Massoudi Brothers were declared the winner. Then I wondered why the three hand-balancing bros were all hugging. That's when I figured out Massoudi Brothers was their name, not the name of the fruit-smashing Indian guys.

I guess I should pay more attention to the names of these acts.

I was a huge Shin Lim fan last season, but hokey smokes that card trick was looooooong and booooooring. Plus I wasn't impressed by his skinny high-water pants, no socks and high-top dress shoes.  I kept wondering if he was wearing Peds or if those shoes hurt his feet when he's not wearing socks. What's up with no socks these days anyway? The high-water, bare-ankle look is not a good one for men IMO. And his hair is approaching Bello Nock proportions. I liked it before, but now I spent more time wondering if he blow dries it upside down than paying attention to his magic.

Jay ... way too OTT when Shin called him to help. Tone it down a bit pal.

The violin guy needs to be reminded about flying insects and other things that might find their way into his wide-open mouth. I don't think he shut it once the entire time he was playing. Distracting, yes.

I thought Julianne looked nice last night, and I didn't mind Gabrielle doing a fashion flashback to the 60s, even if it was a bit off putting.

Not a bad night overall, with the exception of knowing I'll have to see Crying Girl again.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

See this is an issue I have with this show. They try to act like a lot of these people have no prior history, however, in this case Howie knows better. Greg is no newbie he has been around for a while and actually is a standup comic. He mixes the voices into the routine:

I think Howie is basically trying to tell him you need to do a routine instead of just random voices if you want to advance farther.

Well, that explains a lot, thanks. I saw a reference somewhere to him doing voice work and having an IMDB page but not stand-up. Are they planning to surprise us with a real routine in the next round? Or do they have a policy of no decent stand-up comedians allowed?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I just saw ratings, the results show got 7 million or so. Easily winning its time slot.

Whenever I read articles about TV ratings and they mention winning time slots, I always wonder if this actually still matters - of course things like America's Got Talent and American Idol will be the most watched thing of the night, but other than something like football or Game of Thrones/Big Bang Theory, what else is there? Apparently in 1990 or so, a show getting 7 million viewers would make it like the 50th most watched program of the week. Even though Netflix and all that is more convenient, I miss the cable TV model of having to wait for a certain time to watch things, as well as TV being the only place you would be able to watch something - something being created just for YouTube or Amazon just feels cheap to me.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That's when I figured out Massoudi Brothers was their name, not the name of the fruit-smashing Indian guys.

If they were related, what are the odds that one brother would be 2+ feet taller than the others unless their Mother had an affair with Bigfoot? 👏

• LOL 4
On 8/14/2019 at 6:01 PM, ams1001 said:

Dunkin Save: Ansley Burns vs Emerald Belles vs Sophie Pecora. Meh. I didn't care (or vote) but she was my guess. Oh, god, stop crying. Sure, Simon, "the public" brought her back. Uh huh. 

I think Greg Morton has to do a real comic routine, because three appearances in a row of stringing random impersonations and movie lines together is enough. This week I was actually bored and hoping for him to stop.

Mixed feelings about the voting. Pleasantly surprised that G Force didn't go through. I thought America loves that kind of thing. Also pleasantly surprised that America didn't buy the judges' hype about Sophie Pecora. She's the kind of pretentious, gimmicky, minimally talented person these shows always try to make us believe is an "artist." 

If you want to see what a real artist looks like, that would be Kodi Lee. I'm all about him for the win. As a pianist/singer myself I have tremendous admiration for his skill. And that's just about his music, not the disabilities. Such a beautiful tone, and he sings with the soul of a Ray Charles, and that's about the highest compliment I can give. 

Would have much rather the Belles got the save then Ansley Burns. Boy, Simon is pulling out all the stops trying to make her happen. Cute as a button, but that's where it ends. Just not a good singer, even for a little girl.  Hasn't she had literally three extra chances now? She may be the first person to literally cry themselves back on to the show.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Sorry Bir Khalsa fans, but I was very glad to see Bir Khalsa go.  It’s surprising to me they made it this far.  Guess I don’t like death-defying acts with blindfolded people smashing watermelons with sharp, pointed objects narrowly missing someone’s face.  It’s harrowing stupidity and not entertaining to me at all.  Thankfully, they are good at what they do.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Sorry Bir Khalsa fans, but I was very glad to see Bir Khalsa go.  It’s surprising to me they made it this far.  Guess I don’t like death-defying acts with blindfolded people smashing watermelons with sharp, pointed objects narrowly missing someone’s face.  It’s harrowing stupidity and not entertaining to me at all.  Thankfully, they are good at what they do.

Yes, if it goes right - they are just destroying fruit.  If it goes wrong - do you really want to see someone die right before you?

• Love 3

Really surprised Alex Dowis made it through, as those kinds of acts tend not to last very long. The judges did a terrible job in hiding their disappointment that he went through and Carmen Carter didn't. I don't know why--I really don't think she's anything special--but a poker face is a valuable thing to perfect, folks.

I found the on-the-bubble grouping very strange for a lot of reasons. Emerald Belles I could see going either way so they made sense, but I'm surprised Sophie Pecora didn't fly through and Ansley didn't get the boot immediately. So then I was even more surprised when Ansley won the vote and Sophie didn't. I'm fine with Sophie leaving (there's a certain pleasure in seeing the producers' completely miss the mark in who they think people will like) but I can't believe we still have at least one more week with Ansley. She's this season's Daniel Emmett. I fully expect her to be on the bubble in the semis and get through to the finals with the Judges' Save, only to end up in the bottom five in the finals. You heard it here first!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I can't believe we still have at least one more week with Ansley. She's this season's Daniel Emmett.

I forgot I made up something to do with that while watching, but it's gone now - it's funny how someone can be so bad that he is still an inspiration a year later when struggling to come up with a way of phrasing mediocrity

I've noticed a huge shift towards TV shows being more attentive towards YouTube and Facebook clips than the actual television show itself. A lot of late night shows have the monologue up before the show airs on the east coast. I've noticed a lot of AGT clips from past seasons resurfacing on Facebook lately.

Or maybe the people I'm Facebook friends with are not all that current. Who knows.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Really surprised Alex Dowis made it through, as those kinds of acts tend not to last very long. The judges did a terrible job in hiding their disappointment that he went through and Carmen Carter didn't. I don't know why--I really don't think she's anything special--but a poker face is a valuable thing to perfect, folks.

I found the on-the-bubble grouping very strange for a lot of reasons. Emerald Belles I could see going either way so they made sense, but I'm surprised Sophie Pecora didn't fly through and Ansley didn't get the boot immediately. So then I was even more surprised when Ansley won the vote and Sophie didn't. I'm fine with Sophie leaving (there's a certain pleasure in seeing the producers' completely miss the mark in who they think people will like) but I can't believe we still have at least one more week with Ansley. She's this season's Daniel Emmett. I fully expect her to be on the bubble in the semis and get through to the finals with the Judges' Save, only to end up in the bottom five in the finals. You heard it here first!

Do we get to bet whether or not she breaks down in tears again?  Will Simon rush up to hug her?  Will there be all four judges consoling her with a group hug?

• Love 3

I was at this show. I didn’t realize it was a results show when I signed up for it so that was disappointing (took first time guests). There was a ton of Belle parents in the audience. They were not happy. Was happy to see Shin Lim, as I saw him last season (went to two shows). Everyone on the first level got playing cards to do the trick. I did it with my daughter, we each ended up with a half of the same card. So close. The trick worked for the Texas parent next to me. Jay Leno was ridiculous. Simon was his usual charming self off camera. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Readalot said:

I was at this show. I didn’t realize it was a results show when I signed up for it so that was disappointing (took first time guests). There was a ton of Belle parents in the audience. They were not happy. Was happy to see Shin Lim, as I saw him last season (went to two shows). Everyone on the first level got playing cards to do the trick. I did it with my daughter, we each ended up with a half of the same card. So close. The trick worked for the Texas parent next to me. Jay Leno was ridiculous. Simon was his usual charming self off camera. 

What kind of a process is there to go to a show? Even though the shows are in New York or LA (so millions of people have the option), I have always wondered how there can be thousands of people on any given night who want to get all dressed up to go see an array of mediocre acts for hours.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

What kind of a process is there to go to a show? Even though the shows are in New York or LA (so millions of people have the option), I have always wondered how there can be thousands of people on any given night who want to get all dressed up to go see an array of mediocre acts for hours.

I went multiple times when it was in New Jersey and NYC. First you request a voucher on the on camera audience website which either gives you an guaranteed voucher or a non guaranteed one. If you have a guaranteed one you are good just gotta show up  before the show starts (starts about 6pm or so) however they will let you in a bit later than that if you have the guaranteed ticket. If you don't have the guaranteed one you have to go about 6 hours before, hope you get a guaranteed one from the box office then come back about 6pm. Most times I got one no problem, but one time they did run out, but gave us a guaranteed one for the show 2 weeks later.

Anyway so about 6pm they pre-tape some acts for time because they would run too long otherwise. Ones that were pre-taped for me were Loop Rawlins and D'Angelo & Amanda. The reason for this is both of them did acts that were around obstacles as Loop had fire around him and D'Angelo & Amanda had water. Once those are over they basically tell you to hang around the lobby for the next hour (which you can come in at this point if you couldn't make it at 6), then about 7:30 you go back in the seats and a comedian explains to you how the show works gives a rough rundown of the order of who is coming on encourages you to clap etc. Sometimes the judges talk to you, sometimes not. 

Anyway its a lot of fun. These acts always are more entertaining in person for whatever reason its also free. 

I've heard champions was a nightmare though, because its not live they were taping for like 8-10 hours as they would do multiple shows in one day etc. Also, any of those outside acts you need a separate ticket and they are taped a separate day, BUT the act does come on stage on the live show to get judged.

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Thanks for that info @anthonyd46. I like hearing behind-the-scenes stories. I'd go in a heartbeat for every taping/live show if AGT ever came to my cow town. I might be in the minority here, but I don't find the show boring in the least, nor the acts "mediocre." I enjoy watching and like the variety. It would be great fun to see it IRL.

ETA: Where were the auditions held? They didn't travel around the country as in the past, and made a big deal out of telling acts they were "making it to the Dolby." The live acts look like they are in the same place as the auditions ... was everything done in the Dolby?

Edited by saber5055
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: Where were the auditions held? They didn't travel around the country as in the past, and made a big deal out of telling acts they were "making it to the Dolby." The live acts look like they are in the same place as the auditions ... was everything done in the Dolby?

They were at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, just a block South of the famous Colorado Blvd.  There's a nice shopping area across the street (Paseo).  I love it there.  American Idol used to have "Hollywood Week" there each year.  

• Useful 1
On 8/15/2019 at 6:22 AM, Lunula said:

I know she's a kid, but Ansley is pretty dreadful IMO. Granted, I hate country music, but overlooking that I still didn't think she would beat the other two acts. My husband said, "Oh yeah, she'll win." to which I replied, "Why would you think that? She was terrible?!" and he simply said, "Texas."

Yup.

I was shocked that the Massoudi Brothers and Greg Morton beat out Bir Khalsa - though I kind of get it. I was squirming watching them and it seems America doesn't have the stomach to put acts like that through very far. This is only my second season watching, but that seems the pattern. I thought Greg Morton was pretty terrible - he wasn't really even doing impressions, just saying movie lines in a loud voice through most of it. I don't find that entertaining at all. 

I personally really like Alex Dowis. I find what he does endlessly more entertaining than say...Greg Morton or Ansley. 

G-Force is so contrived and horrible that I felt almost offended watching them. I'm so glad they are gone. 

A big thumbs up to all your comments. There really is something dreadful about Ansley, beyond all the crying. which I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's putting a 13 year in a short skirt and cowboy boots and having her imitate grown-up expressions. It felt like watching the talent portion of one of those little girl beauty contests. 

I'm not surprised that Bir Khalsa didn't go through, but there was something oddly endearing about them. They were actually one of the only "danger" acts I've ever seen on this show that gave me a real sense of danger, and had me on the edge of my seat. Could the guy with the chain saw have been able to see through that flour (or whatever it is) and blindfold? Otherwise, how could he know to stop less than an inch from the big guy's nose? 

I find Greg Morton staggeringly unfunny. Even when Robin Williams did his rapid fire imitations there was some stream of consciousness connecting them. It wasn't completely random. 

• Love 1
On 8/18/2019 at 6:50 AM, anthonyd46 said:

I went multiple times when it was in New Jersey and NYC. First you request a voucher on the on camera audience website which either gives you an guaranteed voucher or a non guaranteed one. If you have a guaranteed one you are good just gotta show up  before the show starts (starts about 6pm or so) however they will let you in a bit later than that if you have the guaranteed ticket. If you don't have the guaranteed one you have to go about 6 hours before, hope you get a guaranteed one from the box office then come back about 6pm. Most times I got one no problem, but one time they did run out, but gave us a guaranteed one for the show 2 weeks later.

Anyway so about 6pm they pre-tape some acts for time because they would run too long otherwise. Ones that were pre-taped for me were Loop Rawlins and D'Angelo & Amanda. The reason for this is both of them did acts that were around obstacles as Loop had fire around him and D'Angelo & Amanda had water. Once those are over they basically tell you to hang around the lobby for the next hour (which you can come in at this point if you couldn't make it at 6), then about 7:30 you go back in the seats and a comedian explains to you how the show works gives a rough rundown of the order of who is coming on encourages you to clap etc. Sometimes the judges talk to you, sometimes not. 

Anyway its a lot of fun. These acts always are more entertaining in person for whatever reason its also free. 

I've heard champions was a nightmare though, because its not live they were taping for like 8-10 hours as they would do multiple shows in one day etc. Also, any of those outside acts you need a separate ticket and they are taped a separate day, BUT the act does come on stage on the live show to get judged.

My experience has been about the same. Last year I went to the semi final and BTS was the preshow that was taped (insane with all the fans!  They did their song twice). The next week it was the Shin Lim act that was pretaped and I forgot who it was that was post taped for the next day. Lots of fun, I hope to get tickets to the final this season.