Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Reichenbach Falls

I thought they would wrap up the Reichenbach plotline in this episode then use the last episode for the denouement of the Reichenbach case and to wrap up any other loose ends, coughHannahcough. And whatever else there might be, such as will they stay in NY or return to London, will Bell finally join US Marshalls, etc.

• Love 2
On 8/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Trey said:

I am guessing that the title means the end of Reichenbach. 

It's more a nod to Conan Doyle, I think -- Reichenbach Falls was a waterfall where his Holmes had his final confrontation with Professor Moriarty...

Spoiler

… and both men fell to their deaths, at least until Conan Doyle brought Sherlock back due to popular demand.

• Love 3

Two opposite poles of magnets (north and south) attract, not repel.

Did anyone else expect that they would do a DNA test to ID Moreland's body, and it wouldn't match Sherlock?  Then Sherlock could wonder if the body wasn't Moreland, or if Moreland wasn't his father.

Altamont was an alias that ACD Sherlock Holmes used in "His Last Bow."

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Odin rigging the car with Morland's body inside it to explode and kill Sherlock and Joan was ice-cold as hell.  Dude might still think he's some justice crusader, but he really is just a bastard.  

I'm guessing we didn't see Morland's body simply because they didn't want to pay John Noble to play a corpse for a few seconds, but I guess that could be a set-up for something more.  But the only thing I can think of would be Odin keeping him alive for some kind of leverage, so I'll just stick with the "He's totally dead" option for now.

"Reichenbach Falls" this go around is basically Sherlock faking his death, in order to finally bring down Odin.  But I imagine that Joan and probably Bell and Gregs will discover the truth next week.  

Glad we got a potentially final appearance from Eugene!  I just hope they find a way to work in Alfredo next week.

Curious to see how this all will play out.

• Love 9

I wasn't surprised when Sherlock showed up alive.  I won't be surprised if Moreland shows up alive.  Does Joan know Sherlock is alive?  I guess Sherlock was the murder him and Joan planned?

It always annoys me when people spend time chatting about how it's a bad idea to kill them.  I end up saying, "Oh just kill the idiot already."

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Driad said:

This bugged the shit out of me when Sherlock said it.

As soon as Sherlock went into the water I figured it was a nod to the ACD story in more than just a name and he was still alive.  Literally falling to his "death" into a body of water and not being found was pretty direct. 

Unless I misunderstood something, I'm fairly sure Joan knows what's happening.  

Sherlock says they need to plan a murder of their own.  The next time we see him, Sherlock lured Reichenbach to the bridge posing as Agent McNally with a cloned phone.

However, Joan told Bell and Gregson that Odin contacted Sherlock. The only reason she would lie about that is if she was participating in Sherlock's plan to set Reichenbach up for first degree murder.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 13

The only surprise this episode provided was when the Italian lady opened the French windows and the view was not the Canal Grande - but Florence is nice too 😉

That was a great nod to ACD with Sherlock disappearing into a body of water. In the original Watson truly believed Sherlock was dead - not so sure that applies here too. Sherlock's line about 'planning a murder of our own' was ambiguous enough to leave the door open for both interpretations for the time being. I do have a hard time thinking Watson could straight up lie to Bell and Gregson though (and that Sherlock would ask her to).

The one thing that struck me as odd was how a feeble old guy on chemo was able to kill three mercenaries, but maybe I missed some details. And why would a Google search by Eugene not trigger Odin's all seeing eye? 

Aidan Quinn got some juicy material for a send-off and I liked both stare-downs between him and James Frain. 

I'm sad to see the series go but I think it's the right decision. Too many shows are being kept on life-support way beyond their time and it taints their legacy. 

• Love 7

Excuse my ignorance, but was this the last show?  I know Joan knew about the fake murder when she burst into the station.  Her acting was fake distress.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I still think he might be.  

Me too.

As they approached the body in the car I thought "Now, we'll find out for sure if Morland is dead".  But, no.  The car explodes so we are still left wondering.

I'm afraid I didn't catch that Sherlock meant his own murder when he told Joan they had to plan a murder of their own.

I was expecting some hand to hand combat on the bridge and that they would both go over the edge.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Odin said he wrestled the gun away and then used it to defend himself. How does that work? You disarmed the guy, so he's no longer a threat!

Excellent point!

Don't actors enunciate anymore?  Maybe it shows up more with closed captioning, but everyone says "gonna" instead of "going to". 

This may not have been the best season but I still loved having some more time with Sherlock and Joan, Gregson and Bell.  This has been one of my all time favourite shows and I will miss it when it's gone.

• Love 8

I just hope that Joan was gentle when she broke the news to Clyde! Nice shout outs to the original story where *spoilers for a story that was published a VERY long time ago*

Spoiler

Sherlock and Moriarty "died" by both going over Reichenbach falls, but it turns out Sherlock was actually alive and faked his death, mainly because Victorian era fans lost their shit and wouldn't stop bugging Sir Arthur to undo it, because no matter the time period fans are fans. 

So Sherlock faked his death to finally stop Odin, because even if he beats the murder rap (which as a super rich and powerful guy,  he very well might) all of his secrets will come out, including his murder of the family just to prove a point to Sherlock, and his plans will never be the same again and he will presumably have to put his murders on hold, possibly indefinitely. I dont know if Joan knows or not, he seems like he might have told her what he was planning and asked her to lie, but I dont know if he would ask her to lie like that to Gregson and Bell (and Clyde!) about something so big. 

That was a great stand off between Gregson and Odin at the end, Aidan Quinn was just great in the whole scene. He just nailed that combination of quiet fury and grief when he told Odin that he killed his friend. He was trying so hard to keep it together but was practically trembling. Really, everyone's reactions to Sherlock's "death" was really well played, although its hard to tell with Joan how much she actually knows. 

This season has had its ups and downs, sometimes struggling with balancing the greater arc with the case of the week stuff, but I enjoyed several aspects of the season, especially a lot of the character work between Joan and Sherlock. I will miss this show, but I think this is a good place to end things. The well is clearly running dry, but there is still enough water in there to end on a decently high note.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure Joan knows Sherlock is alive, because she was avoiding Bell's questions like crazy. I think Bell is probably suspicious now, too.

Tim Guinee (Agent McNally) needs to lay off the dark brown hair dye. I found it so distracting.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm sad to see the series go but I think it's the right decision. Too many shows are being kept on life-support way beyond their time and it taints their legacy. 

Heh Heh, She said taints.

I thought it was strange that Sherlock said to Watson that we need to have a private conversation and they moved from one room of the brownstone to another.

Oh my God, they killed Sherlock!!!!!!   No wait, he's over there.

Marcus, widen the search for Sherlock's body to the canals of Italy.

Is "Chemo" slang for "Tiger's Blood"? How does an old man with cancer, can barely move and has one month to live, kill 3 assassins, chop them up and then burn them up. I can barely find the strength to take out the trash once a week (and I don't have cancer). What did Odin promise that guy?

I thought for sure that Sherlock would add some fake people to Odin's "kill list" to trip him up.

• Love 6

I knew Sherlock couldn't be dead, but I'm at a loss to see how they're going to wrap all this up in an hour. I think there's a good chance I'm going to wind up wishing they had ended the series after Season 6 with Joan and Sherlock together in London.

A lot of the charm of the series comes from the silly stuff like Sherlock waking up Joan in the morning in various alarming ways, or all of his quirky experiments. That charm has been sadly lacking in these last couple of episodes, unfortunately. This just isn't the kind of show that should take itself too seriously.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was strange that Sherlock said to Watson that we need to have a private conversation and they moved from one room of the brownstone to another.

I was amused by that, too, but I think they were moving away from the detective who had been stationed to protect them? (I missed the first 15 minutes, but there seemed to be a guy around, right? He came in with the pizza...) Either that, or they have a designated anti-bug room upstairs...

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

but I dont know if he would ask her to lie like that to Gregson and Bell (and Clyde!) about something so big. 

Oh, come on, Clyde's definitely in on it!

• Love 6
Just now, dargosmydaddy said:

I was amused by that, too, but I think they were moving away from the detective who had been stationed to protect them? (I missed the first 15 minutes, but there seemed to be a guy around, right? He came in with the pizza...) Either that, or they have a designated anti-bug room upstairs...

Most of the time protection details stay outside. I figured he stopped the pizza guy at the door, ate what he thought was his portion of the pizza and brought the rest to Joan.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Is "Chemo" slang for "Tiger's Blood"?

I wish. 😞

9 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:
50 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was amused by that, too, but I think they were moving away from the detective who had been stationed to protect them?

That's what I thought, too. You could see a guy in the window when they were in the kitchen, and then there was the fellow that Sherlock so rudely dismissed when he delivered their pizza.

• Love 6

The ACD allusion was a big clue that Sherlock didn't perish off that bridge. 

But I don't believe there's any reason to think that Morland is also alive. There was really no place to take his relationship with Sherlock, IMO. 

May I just add: I love Tim Guinee, and have loved him ever since I saw him as "Savage John" in "Brave New World"!

• Love 3

A big "Duh!" to me, then, dubbel zout, but a bigger Bronx cheer to the writers of the penultimate episode, because that bridge scene was thus rendered utterly impotent in terms of tension. Plus, it's not like anyone would have cared enough to press charges had it been OR over the bridge with no resurrection. 

Is there an ACD literary connection to Florence? I read the stories too long ago to recall.

Heh. I just realized that "Odin Reichenbach," myth and literature aside,  might subliminally remind one to make popcorn. 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

It went where I expected it to go, other than that I expected Sherlock and his bees to be hiding in the countryside.  I agree that Joan and Clyde are in on it.

I think we're now faced with a time jump.  I noticed they titled the next episode "His Last Bow" and not "The Empty House."  That could imply a longer jump.  I wonder if they will have a funeral for Sherlock.  That would be an opportunity to bring in a lot of characters.

16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And why would a Google search by Eugene not trigger Odin's all seeing eye? 

At the moment, Odin only sees what his software and devices pull in.  Google is not under his control.  It's the less sinister of the two tech companies in this scenario.  This episode Odin was trying to get McNally to give him NSA level access to everything, cementing his powers.

We've been comparing him to Finch from Person of Interest, but maybe we should be comparing him to Greer.

20 hours ago, RachelKM said:
On 8/8/2019 at 11:02 PM, Driad said:

Same.  Completely took me out of it for a minute.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The one thing that struck me as odd was how a feeble old guy on chemo was able to kill three mercenaries, but maybe I missed some details. And why would a Google search by Eugene not trigger Odin's all seeing eye?

10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

o" slang for "Tiger's Blood"? How does an old man with cancer, can barely move and has one month to live, kill 3 assassins, chop them up and then burn them up. I can barely find the strength to take out the trash once a week (and I don't have cancer). What did Odin promise that guy?

When he said that he'd been getting chemo treatments on the Wednesday when the murders took place, Sherlock (or Joan, I forgot which one) was looking at his chart and commented that he hadn't been there for treatments in weeks (they might have even said months). So it had actually been quite some time since he had taken any treatments. And, obviously, he was playing up the 'feeble, old man' card for Bell, Joan and Sherlock.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

"His Last Bow" -- as in bowing out or as in a bow you use to play the violin, which Sherlock does?!

Since it's the final episode I guess the former - it's also another shout-out to canon. But according to IMDB the title is 'Their Last Bow'. Word of warning if you go there to check: the episode summary contains a massive spoiler.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought Sherlock must have installed a Faraday Cage in one room of the brownstone when he said that line.

• Love 3

I thought it was strange that Sherlock told Joan, after she tried to comfort him, that it helped that he hated his father (maybe he just said "didn't love") and reiterated all the reasons for his feelings in a very matter of fact voice.  As though he knew his father was still alive so it was okay to say those things, according to the phrase "de mortuis nihil nisi bonum".

But I could just be reaching.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Since it's the final episode I guess the former - it's also another shout-out to canon. But according to IMDB the title is 'Their Last Bow'. Word of warning if you go there to check: the episode summary contains a massive spoiler.

Thanks for the spoiler warning.  I'm not even going into the episode thread until I've seen it.

I did not catch that at the time but it makes me feel very disappointed in the writing.  Someone should have caught it, even maybe one of the actors.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
On August 9, 2019 at 1:59 AM, RachelKM said:
On August 8, 2019 at 10:02 PM, Driad said:

Now that both of you and others mention it ("Two opposite poles of magnets (north and south) attract, not repel"), I'm wondering if when the camera broke away from Odin and Sherlock (to Joan et al. in hot pursuit) Sherlock managed to remind and convince Odin of his original aim to do good, and to convince him to participate in the ruse of Sherlock's death in exchange for…?

But there was also a careful choreography of Odin moving step by step closer to Sherlock until at one point Sherlock started to move away (towards the side of the bridge??) as if to lure Odin.

But I'm really confused by why so many of you say Sherlock went into the water. I didn't see that. Did I miss it?

Regardless, Joan is definitely part of the plot Sherlock concocted, and I really want it to end with a sort of repeat of last season's final scene, but this time with adjoining living spaces in Italy.

On August 9, 2019 at 4:30 AM, Alistaire said:

Lucy Liu deserved and deserves so much praise. She brought back Della Street and reinvented her for the twenty-first century. Many have tried before; all failed. I'd wager that because of Lucy Liu, 90% if not more of BBC "Sherlock" fans forgot that sorry series ever existed

Great observations about Joan as a type of Perry Mason's Della Street — which makes me now see Della + Paul = Watson.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I'm really confused by why so many of you say Sherlock went into the water. I didn't see that. Did I miss it?

Nobody saw it on screen. Whatever happened, it was all over when we got back to the bridge. I think Odin did shoot Sherlock or at least at Sherlock and seems to think he killed him. Not quite sure how Sherlock 'fell' into the river with all those railings on the bridge. But I'm pretty sure he did go into the river or Odin would have said otherwise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

We heard it. There's the shot and then the sound of a body hitting the water.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

We heard it. There's the shot and then the sound of a body hitting the water.

Sherlock must have been standing on top of the railing.

• Love 3
On 8/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Odin rigging the car with Morland's body inside it to explode and kill Sherlock and Joan was ice-cold as hell.  Dude might still think he's some justice crusader, but he really is just a bastard.

I'd say he's more like a Dexter - he's a murderous sociopath but channels it into something he can justify as noble intentions - both to himself and others.

I thought my recording ended abruptly! My recording ended not too long after the watch guy gave Marcus the phone number and address (?) of the guy with Morland's watch. Sigh...

7 hours ago, Trey said:

Sherlock must have been standing on top of the railing.

Rewatching the scene doesn't help.  The railing is tall, the camera angles are odd, and the flashes of the shots are just aimed at empty air.

Sherlock might have instigated a struggle that saw Odin push him backwards onto the railing to get the gun.  Or, he could have pretended he was trying to pull Odin into the water, and forced himself back on to it.

Spoilers for another Holmes property. 

Spoiler

I'm thinking of the second Robert Downey Jr. Holmes movie, which also has a railing in this scene.  If midway through one of the two scenarios, Odin ends up with the gun and shoots, then Sherlock lets go and drops.

• Love 2
On 8/9/2019 at 2:13 PM, basiltherat said:

Oh, yeah, Clyde's definitely undercover -- Ms. Hudson knitted a cozy that makes him look like a river rock, and he was right under the bridge, signaling to Alfredo to bring in the boat for Sherlock!

You made me wonder if a Russian tortoise can swim.  According to the vast wisdom of the interweb, he cannot.  So if Clyde was out there, I hope he found a safe place from which to direct the maneuvers.

• Love 3

Anyone else notice that Moreland’s last scene in the recap was different than his last scene in the previous episode? In the recap you saw the guy approaching with the gun, in the same frame as Moreland. In the previous, you just saw his resigned expression, with him alone in the frame. 

Seems like usually the recap has the same shots from the previous episode. 

Edited by kay1864
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2