Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Three Killjoys and a Lady

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Loved this episode. It had some interesting relationship dynamics. Clearly, D'av is all-in for Dutch, and she seems to be pretty into that too. Last week there was discussion of if Johnny & Dutch were having sex while under the delusion. This ep seemed to confirm yes, and also implied Johnny is NOT over that. Memories of being married to Dutch and losing Lucy may spell trouble for our Thief. 

The chemistry between D'av and Dutch was off the charts. 

Oh, I also loved the naked scene. Johnny & D'av are just SUCH brothers. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xtwheeler said:

Last week there was discussion of if Johnny & Dutch were having sex while under the delusion. This ep seemed to confirm yes, and also implied Johnny is NOT over that. Memories of being married to Dutch and losing Lucy may spell trouble for our Thief. 

The show's creator swears they didn't have sex but I seem to recall someone saying the illusion had been going on for 43 days. It's hard to believe their marriage was that troubled... especially the way they woke up in bed. (So casually intimate.)

But I agree that Johnny isn't as cool with it as he says. That has to hurt. A lot. 

• Love 3

Well, shit!  I actually figured out early on that is was Lucy that was corrupted by the Lady and not any of the main three, but having it end with John having to deactivate her was a sad resolution for both of them.  I hope whatever that chip is ends up somehow saving things, but if this is it for Lucy, I'm glad they at least Tamsen McDonough to appear on camera as a holo version of Lucy, and she (and Aaron Ashmore) really sold their final scene.  Still, poor John.  I don't want to make it a competition since everyone has had bad stuff happen to them on this show, but it really feels like John is the one who just can't ever catch a break or find happiness for very long.

Still think that Khylen is working some kind angle against The Lady, and is plotting a way to save everyone.  Yeah, yeah, it might be unwise to put so much faith on a stone-cold killer like him, but dammit, he's a stone-cold killer that loves his family in his own twisted way!

Finally, on a shallow note, I was certainly happy with whoever decided Dutch should wear those shorts/skirt, because Hannah John-Kamen has some fantastic legs!

• Love 7

Johnny and Dutch had a discussion in the first episode about their 'marriage' and from the sound of it there had been trouble quite some time and once Jaq got sent to 'boarding school' it had gotten even worse. And the way the timeline was set up Jaq had not been gone that long - a couple of weeks. Which would be covered by 43 days. But they did not behave like a couple that has ditched sex for some time over a major disagreement - and those cozy flashbacks this episode didn't help either. Maybe they were fake memories to a time when the 'marriage' was intact. But again: not helping.

Whatever happened or didn't happen Johnny is definitely not okay with it - maybe it's just the realization that he had something he had longed for all his life (not necessarily with Dutch) and it wasn't real. And that he just can't catch a break - as this episode hammered home for good.

Meanwhile: Zeph is slowly bleeding out in the rainy streets of Westerley.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

Oh, I also loved the naked scene. Johnny & D'av are just SUCH brothers. 

That was great. It only takes two naked bodies for Lucy to go into privacy mode and not listen in, but Dutch didn't want anyone to feel left out. Hah! And awwww. 

8 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Finally, on a shallow note, I was certainly happy with whoever decided Dutch should wear those shorts/skirt, because Hannah John-Kamen has some fantastic legs!

For that and also Dutch in nothing but a towel. The imagination runs wild. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

Loved this episode. It had some interesting relationship dynamics. Clearly, D'av is all-in for Dutch, and she seems to be pretty into that too. Last week there was discussion of if Johnny & Dutch were having sex while under the delusion. This ep seemed to confirm yes, and also implied Johnny is NOT over that.

The showrunner and the show creator have explicitly stated in interviews and social media that Dutch & Johnny never had sex.

• Love 1

Damn.  Having to 'kill' Lucy.  That was the ultimate "friend to TAF dies" moment.  (she better not be gone for good.  KJ isn't KJ without 'Lucy'!)

And then making it implicitly clear that Johnny is not cool with having trouble compartmentalizing the memory-faked!marriage to Dutch.   Johnny just couldn't catch a break in this one.

Man, I love this show, but screw these showrunners and writers for the blatant ship-baiting.  Yes, it could be that it was only implied that the marriage itself was what had Johnny longing, and not Dutch, but they need to specify that instead of making it look like it is totally Dutch that was what he was hung up on.  So many ways to make it clear he's not pining for Dutch - if that is the actual case - but they don't do that.  That's what is truly is the heart of the problem I have with the ship-baiting we've been seeing for over 3 seasons now (at least).  And while we're on the subject, if just marriage (the concept & peace of mind) is what Johnny truly longs for, why didn't The Lady have Zeph as the wife?  Or any other random female??  Ship-baiting.  Pure and simple.

So, the space-hickeys.  None of them remember getting them, but all have them.  Do they have parasites in them that are dormant?  Duped marks just to get them to turn on each other??

"His pillow is bigger.  Which, is not to say, that his pillow is bigger than mine."
"My pillow's not bigger.  It's wider."

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

if just marriage (the concept & peace of mind) is what Johnny truly longs for, why didn't The Lady have Zeph as the wife?

IIRC, they established in the first ep that if something is seriously off about the mind wipe world, it would trigger memories. As much time as Dutch and Johnny spend together in close quarters on Lucy, anyone other than Dutch would have Johnny in permanent headache/decom shower mode.

I love Johnny. I love Dutch. I love Johnny and Dutch and no real objections to Dutch/Johnny because the chemistry between AA and HJK is ridiculous, but I love the platonic BFFs as well. I choose to believe TPTB. 

We'll see what the finale brings.

• Love 1

I am really sad about Lucy and I need them to bring her back. 

I didn't love this episode and I think it is just that I miss the humor. This season has been so focused on the one story. I understand they are wrapping it up and they are trying to tell this one last story to do it, but I miss the missions and the humor and the rest of the cast. Also, the Lady feels . . . not that scary. I think after Aneela wandering around a ship making demands and killing off people, the Lady feels like more of the same and a bit less terrifying. When she can use her mind control, sure. She was interesting in the green. But she isn't that powerful in this world and that was reinforced when the torture was . . . making Dutch drink tea, etc. The nail coming off was pretty gross though.

I am hoping that the change in scenery next episode mixes it up a bit. 

I am more than a little concerned about D'av. They are playing up his feelings for Dutch and his son, and I am not sure this story has a true happy ending. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jelaine said:

IIRC, they established in the first ep that if something is seriously off about the mind wipe world, it would trigger memories. As much time as Dutch and Johnny spend together in close quarters on Lucy, anyone other than Dutch would have Johnny in permanent headache/decom shower mode.

I love Johnny. I love Dutch. I love Johnny and Dutch and no real objections to Dutch/Johnny because the chemistry between AA and HJK is ridiculous, but I love the platonic BFFs as well. I choose to believe TPTB. 

We'll see what the finale brings.

I see what you're saying, and The Lady did tell Johnny he was the easiest to pacify because of his fake!memories situation and how much he liked it, but I still feel like if Zeph was the marriage partner, that wouldn't have been toooo much of a stretch to keep twigging Johnny that things weren't right.

So that makes the ship-baiting even that more blatant, IMO.  They're saying its because it was Dutch/Yalena that he was married to, that's why he was the least likely to "wake up" or want to leave the faked dream world.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

Lucy no! Oh my heart hurts, that was so awful and sad. I am holding out hope that maybe Johnny can restart her at some point, but that ending seemed pretty final. What even is the team without Lucy?! Poor Johnny, the guy really just cant catch a break. 

Johnny is clearly struggling with his memories being married to Dutch, and now with losing Lucy, that just makes it even worse. Its hard to tell what exactly is going on here with him, even if I can guess. Is he just messed up because he has conflicting memories of his real life and his fake life, or is it, as its implied, that he does have some romantic feelings towards Dutch and now that he has these memories where she felt that way about him too, its breaking his heart to know that he can never have that, even though now he has had a taste which makes his longing even worse. Its just so sad, and it makes me worry more about the Johnny that Dutch saw in her vision of the future who is all Winter Soldier or whatever. I dont think The Lady is done screwing with Johnny to screw with Dutch. She knows that, while Dutch will raise hell for anyone that she cares about, she will LOSE IT if something horrible happens to Johnny. 

We did learn that Johnny's middle name is Andras, so thats kind of cool!

At least D'av was about to try and have a heart to heart with him about how he is so obviously miserable, but damn it the stupid lady ruined some good bro bonding time! Speaking of, even though it was a pretty tense and tragic episode, the whole naked bit with Johnny and D'av bickering was such sibling, it was hilarious. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how it all shakes out with them, especially when everyone else gets woken up and things start really moving, with all of this semi-unspoken tension and angst and love between the three of them.

• Love 3

Honestly, it feels like there is a boatload of heartbreak on the horizon for all of TAF (currently).....

Johnny's (might be) in love with Dutch, but would never step between her and D'avin to get what he wants.  So that leaves him stewing with his angst and "3rd wheel" status without even Lucy to help out.

And considering the words and emotions exchanged between Dutch & D'avin during the "who's The Lady!?" fracas, that relationship needs some real work to be considered anything like truly 'harmonious'.

• Love 1

Pacing was a problem for me on this one. I immediately guessed the storyline and was so annoyed by it that Lucy's wipe didn't have any emotional resonance with me.

If TAF had figured out it was Lucy by the end of act 1, act 2 was the conflict with Lucy, and act 3 was a trip down memory lane, I think I would have liked it better.

22 hours ago, The Companion said:

I think after Aneela wandering around a ship making demands and killing off people, the Lady feels like more of the same and a bit less terrifying.

I completely agree. This feels like the same conflict as seasons 3 and 4.

Also, I don't get the Hullen are bugs aspect. Then what the hells does the green goo have to do with these monsters?

Season 2 was such a great storyline because we found out the history of the monks was based on fact and everything was interwoven so well. This season just feels like a square peg in a round hole to me. Nothing from this season connects with the previous ones except for the character names and locations.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Pacing was a problem for me on this one. I immediately guessed the storyline and was so annoyed by it that Lucy's wipe didn't have any emotional resonance with me.

I was sure it was Lucy when Dutch said there was only the 3 of them on the ship but the actors, especially AA, sold me.  

• Love 3

I didn't love this episode and I think it is just that I miss the humor. 

I still LOL'd at several things. I loved when D'Av was in the airlock and shouted, "See, Khlyen, told you, HA!" at Dutch. Hee.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shenanigan said:

I still LOL'd at several things. I loved when D'Av was in the airlock and shouted, "See, Khlyen, told you, HA!" at Dutch. Hee.

There were some funny moments, but my favorite thing about this show is when the team is firing on all cylinders and going back and forth. Usually, there are a few one-off episodes to break up the main story, or a few storylines to lighten up the darker stories. I am articulating it poorly, but this season just feels so serious. I wish there were more lighter moments. We almost got there last episode when they were going back and forth while placing the charges, and we got a bit of it with the pillow scene, but I guess what I am going to miss about this show is the banter, so I want more of it!

• Love 4