Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CooperTV

S05.E18-19: Chapter Ninety-Nine/Chapter One Hundred

Recommended Posts

Quote

With Jane and Rafael finally getting ready for their big day, Rafael’s desire to help Jane’s writing dream lands him in trouble.  Xo and Rogelio must tell the family about their decision and not everyone takes it well.  Meanwhile, Petra struggles with her emotions.

Share this post


Link to post

Very few shows debut as fully formed as Jane the Virgin did — if you go back to the pilot, with the exception of Petra every character is already recognizably themselves even from five years’ vantage (Rogelio, of course, is hardly in the pilot, but he also, on appearing, is more or less as he would be throughout). The tone of the series, likewise, was pitch-perfect from the beginning. And I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more consistent show, especially not one that wasn’t doing the short season model that has become more common in the age of streaming and premium cable. It’s been a pleasure to watch it these last five years.

The finale is pretty much a victory lap, in the sense that there’s no truly big drama left, apart from the feint about whether Xiomara is going to back out of moving to New York.

It was great to see all the guest stars that they were able to get back for the wedding, so that no notable person who logically should be there was missing (I frankly thought it was unlikely we’d see Rita Moreno, for instance). And pretty much everybody who appeared got their own bit of happy news, including Lina as well as Darci and Esteban (the latter two not even having lines, unless I missed one, but getting a perfect little capstone to their side story).

I predicted that we’d see J.R. again, though, and indeed we did.  As I mentioned before, Petra is the only character who really doesn’t quite feel like herself in the pilot (even accounting for character development, etc., she was accorded far less sympathy in those early days of the narrative than she’d subsequently get), and the changes made subsequently were all for the better.  I’m glad for her happy ending too.  I briefly considered the possibility that the season might end with Petra moving to Texas after her, but I think that’s out because that would mean Anna and Ellie being moved away from their dad and extended family.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

As someone who's never been a big fan of Jane and Rafael, this finale was not for me... and that's okay. I can still appreciate that the show stayed true to itself and sent its characters off on a such happy note. I'd rather see them play it safe than use the finale to blow everything up just for the sake of being edgy.

I did love the few moments we got of the Villanueva women, particularly the scene where Alba went to turn off the lights and we got all of the flashes from the past. That is the show that I'm going to miss.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Even though Chapter 99 was just a retrospective, I didn't see it as filler. I loved that they took the time to give the cast and crew the opportunity to talk about different aspects of the show.

I really liked that they talked about the visual style and the magical realism because that was one of my favorite aspects of the show. Those two things really added to the fun of JtV.

I'm glad that they touched on the diversity that the show brought to television. Although I'm not Latinx, I totally understood what Andrea Navedo said about how meaningful it is to see someone who looks like you on tv. If you've grown up seeing people who look like you on tv and in movies, you can't begin to understand how empowering it is the first time you see someone who looks like you on tv or on a movie screen.

I also enjoyed them looking back on the evolution of Jane and Petra's relationship.

I know it was just a big love fest, but I still liked it. I wish more shows would let the cast and crew do specials like this when the shows come to and end.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

Everything about that ending was expected, and it feels richer for it.

Mateo loves his parents so much he becomes the best person to tell their love story.

Rafael loves Petra so much, so he brings JR to her.

Rogelio loves Rafael so much, so he wants Raf to call him dad. 

Jane, Xio and Alba love each other so much they support each other no matter what, even when they're miles apart.

Jane and Rafael love each other so much they're unable to form full sentences about that.

tumblr_pvjlb4OZmg1rk9yago2_540.gif

tumblr_pvjlb4OZmg1rk9yago4_540.gif

Link

tumblr_pvjjtrw7KK1rk9yago1_500.gif

tumblr_pvjjtrw7KK1rk9yago3_500.gif

Link

Edited by CooperTV
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

I try not to get overly attached to things, but I could understand Jane's emotional attachment to the sofa since it was the first big thing that she and Raf bought together. But I was totally with Raf - just think how happy that couch will make someone else!

Whenever I see actors cry and I can tell that it's genuine emotion (not acting), it makes me tear up. I knew that most of the crying was real because the actors were sad knowing that they were filming the series finale so I knew I was going to be crying throughout the episode.

Jane, $26 per person for a plated dinner is CHEAP! I mean, I'm glad they were sticking to a reasonable budget that was within their means, but still.

Maybe I'm a boring person, but I don't get why so many people place so much importance on writing their own vows. It's okay not to do that, people! I get why someone like Jane, who is a writer, would want to do that but I just don't want everyone to feel like that's something they have to do because IT'S NOT!

Although what happened in the finale was fairly predictable, it was executed beautifully. And I'm not one of those people who needs to be surprised by a series finale. I just want to get closure and see the characters ride off into the sunset with a happily ever after ending. That's exactly what we got here, and it was done in a way that let us celebrate with them and remember so much of what they've been through in the past five years. I will miss this sweet little show.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

“Jane the Virgin” experimented often and deftly with format and tone and form, toying with various conventions and styles, employing and subverting them as needed. But it never abandoned its telenovela self, and the fact that Jane, Xo and Alba so treasured that kind of story informed their lives and behaviors. The way treasuring “Jane” informs mine. Maybe the reason “Jane” is so easy to love is that it’s the rare show that feels like it loves you back.

‘Jane the Virgin’ Ends Much Like It Began

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Over the years, my husband would wander in and out of the room while I watched JtV, and last night he was mostly in the room. Still, I thought it was funny that he was the one to point out to me that it was Jennie who handed the water to Jane while she briefly joined the marathon.

This was a sweet show with a sweet send-off. I enjoyed Chapter 99 much more than Chapter 100.  I usually bawl at series finales, even the ones that suck. This one, eh, I had a tear or two before the ending, but nothing at the very end, and I didn't feel emotional about it afterward. I liked the show and it had so much heart, but I think the telenovela-ness of it all kept me from getting attached to the characters. 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the clips in chapter 99 and wished some had been longer. 

The finale was ok. The first 30 minutes dragged for me.  One time I chuckled at Mateo's antics..unpacking Xo's stuff so she would stay. I know many people had guessed he was the narrator, but I was never certain due to some of his comments. I guess he is a true professional.

Magda was not lying about the triplet. She is far far away though so Petra won't be dealing with that. 

I did not want JR back. The fact that Rafael talking to her is what made her seek out Petra is not a positive. She knew Petra loved her and Petra went through hoops to make it work. JR could not move past what happened. Since this was about happy endings I guess I should suspend reality here. 

After Rafael's insecurities reared their ugly head, the romantic gesture was nice.  I loved the wedding.  It was a satisfying end to the series and I will miss this show.

Edited by miasth
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

50 minutes ago, miasth said:

Magda was not lying about the triplet. She is far far away though so Petra won't be dealing with that. 

The triplet looked like a boy to me and his name was Pyotr (Peter?).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

The triplet looked like a boy to me and his name was Pyotr (Peter?).

It was Yael made up as a boy.  (I loved that part of the finale!) 

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve ducked in and out of JtV over the years, so maybe that is why, but I found the finale kind of flat. The only times I really got emotional like the show wanted me to was when it focused on Alba, Xo, and Jane, and the end of their lives together (which I found moving I think mostly because several times the actors were really crying...I wonder if the scene out on the porch was the last one filmed). Otherwise, it was an episode that was...there? IDK, I just thought the episode wanted to be more epic and grand and magical than it actually was. I was kinda bored tbh. That may be a metaphor for this entire season, come to think of it. The one plot line that genuinely had story left and could have used development in this ep—JR and Petra reuniting—got like 5 seconds.

With that all said, given how many shows have had just AWFUL finales recently, I commend JtV for not trying to have some “edgy” or “shocking” or whatever finale. (No lie, when Alba went to turn off the light I had a brief moment of horror, wondering if the show would have her keel over right then...and then I was like nah, this is not that show!) They played the end straight and gave everyone their HEA and didn’t try to do something ridiculous and that was the right call.

Adios, JtV. You were always uneven but usually fun and charming despite several missteps. I hope most of the cast finds excellent future projects—they are all so talented! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I also really liked that they found a way to include a bunch of the actresses who have played the young Jane over the years in the finale, most notably Jenny Ortega, who contributed a lot to the show's early seasons.  Ortega posted about that scene.

  • Like 13
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed it.  I'm glad everyone got their happy endings.  I didn't want surprises, edginess, or shocks -- just a good ending to a good show.  I loved Alba's shoes at the wedding.  They looked like silver sneakers.

I don't remember -- was Mateo Petra's biological son?  Don't they normally mix the sperm with the egg and then implant it?

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Over the years, my husband would wander in and out of the room while I watched JtV, and last night he was mostly in the room. Still, I thought it was funny that he was the one to point out to me that it was Jennie who handed the water to Jane while she briefly joined the marathon.

Justin Baldoni's real life wife was also in there :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Like many of you, I enjoyed episode 99. I like hearing from the actors about their characters, and this was no exception. You could tell the cast really love each other, and that it transpired into the show many, many, many times. I was surprised that the actor playing Rogelio had the same voice as the character! I know, it's weird to think like that, but I was not expecting him to have the same kind of accent. And the narrator! Too cool to finally see the man behind the voice.

Episode 100, well... It was all pretty much what I expected, and I love the writers for it. I wanted happy endings for everyone, and they all got them. Esteban even seemed genuinely happy and quite tolerable (I had to laugh at the end when they were taking pictures and Ro moved Esteban away from the front). I found myself not really caring that Petra and JR reunited. Not that I didn't want Petra to have her happy ending, too, but she kept going on and on about how she felt happy and fulfilled with her family the way it is and with her work.

I loved, loved, loved that Jane and Rafael just could not tell each other their vows. It was just too cute. And Mateo! I had read he was the narrator, but I still had doubts until the very end... well, until Glamma told him to project and all that.

Absolutely adored the photoshoot at the end, and how wonderful and crazy and weird but so so so loving is this big huge crazy family!

I will most definitely miss that show! I can see myself rewatching it several times in the months to come.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, camom said:

I don't remember -- was Mateo Petra's biological son?  Don't they normally mix the sperm with the egg and then implant it?

Mateo is Jane's biological son, it was artificial insemination, not IVF.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Mateo is Jane's biological son, it was artificial insemination, not IVF.

I would hope so. The principal idea of the accidental insemination was always crazy, but IVF implantation on a Pap smear patient would be completely impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

The principal idea of the accidental insemination was always crazy

According to the show, Jane had 20% chance to get pregnant from it, and it took like, immediately. Speaking of destiny and all that.

Jafael petal related symbolism:

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao1_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao3_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao4_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao5_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao7_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao8_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao9_540.gif

tumblr_pvk8mfypEJ1xeef9ao2_r1_540.gif

Link

Edited by CooperTV
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

According to the show, Jane had 20% chance to get pregnant from it, and it took like, immediately.

Oh gosh, no I don’t meet that the idea of artificial insemination working is crazy. I know for a fact it works pretty well! That’s why I said accidental insemination. I mean that the doctor could do it without consent to a virgin patient who was there for a totally different procedure. 

Since this is the end, it just made me think about how much the whole principle premise of the show creeped me out so much when I first heard about it, I thought I was going to hate watch it - and how surprised I have been over the course of all these years that they somehow made this a really good show, and one that I will always look back on fondly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sad it's over because I will miss these characters and the wonderful job the actors did to make me care about them.  Not completely crushed it's over because I'm not sure there was much story left to tell and I'd rather say goodbye reluctantly than feel sad they destroyed the show on the way out and sour my memories.

I was very dissatisfied with the way they dressed Petra for the wedding.  My daughter says she was keeping her promise to Jane to dress ugly for the wedding so as not to upstage the bride, but I have no memory of that comment and am resentful my favorite didn't get to go out on a high fashion note. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

Oh gosh, no I don’t meet that the idea of artificial insemination working is crazy. I know for a fact it works pretty well! That’s why I said accidental insemination. I mean that the doctor could do it without consent to a virgin patient who was there for a totally different procedure. 

Since this is the end, it just made me think about how much the whole principle premise of the show creeped me out so much when I first heard about it, I thought I was going to hate watch it - and how surprised I have been over the course of all these years that they somehow made this a really good show, and one that I will always look back on fondly.

If you want to be even more creeped out, in the original show, Juana La Virgen, Juana is 17, when she's accidentally inseminated and Mauricio is like 34. They made sure that Juana turned 18 before she had sex with him, though, but still... At least Jane was a proper adult when this whole thing happened.

I was young when I watched it and thought nothing of it, but now I kind of shudder.

  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, natyxg said:

If you want to be even more creeped out, in the original show, Juana La Virgen, Juana is 17, when she's accidentally inseminated and Mauricio is like 34. They made sure that Juana turned 18 before she had sex with him, though, but still... At least Jane was a proper adult when this whole thing happened.

I was young when I watched it and thought nothing of it, but now I kind of shudder.

Ha! Thanks for reminding me! After seeing the first season of this show I actually went and watched the first episode of Juana. And when I figured out the ages involved, I just... switched it off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Mateo being the narrator isn't exactly shocking to me, especially after this season. No wonder the narrator has been team Raf/Jane for most of the show, and there were zero Michael references in the episode, despite all the talk of wedding and him being Jane's first husband,! Although I do feel weird having him referred to as the Latin Lover narrator this whole time when he has been cute little Mateo for as long as we have known him!

While this season has been rather frustrating to me with how the resurrection of Michael was handled and to me, botched, I still loved this show and I thought this was a great way to wrap things up. Lots of happy endings, even for minor characters like Estaban and Darci, Jane getting her book done, and not a ton of drama, more of a fun victory lap for these characters we have known and loved for years now. 

I am glad we had some great flashbacks and scenes with the Villanueva women, who were always the heart and soul of the show. Alba flashing back to all her memories with her family in the house might have gotten a tear out of me, not gonna lie.

JR showing up was random, but its the last episode of a telenovela, everyone gets their happy ending! I really do admire how consistent this show has been in theme, character, and tone. I watched the pilot again not too long ago, and it is very much the same show with the same characters and you can very much see how the characters have changed, but not to the point that they seem like different people. Petra is probably the most changed, as she was a full on villain in the pilot, but most everyone's arcs have a very clear trajectory that got them from there to here. 

Its such a different show than most anything else on now, I will really miss it.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to those who cleared up the IVF vs artificial insemination question for me.  Did they ever say why Raf and Petra were doing AF?

Watching the wedding, I thought how weird it would be -- in the real world -- for Petra to be standing with her ex husband while he married the woman who accidentally became the mother of his child.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, camom said:

Thanks to those who cleared up the IVF vs artificial insemination question for me.  Did they ever say why Raf and Petra were doing AF?

Rafael had cancer. He and Petra had problems conceiving as well. So they decided to freeze some of his sperm so that after the cancer treatment, they could try and have children.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

I was very dissatisfied with the way they dressed Petra for the wedding.  My daughter says she was keeping her promise to Jane to dress ugly for the wedding so as not to upstage the bride, but I have no memory of that comment and am resentful my favorite didn't get to go out on a high fashion note. 

Oh gawd yes, Petra was a hot mess from that ghastly dress to those fugly shoes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Loved the episode.... it could have ended with Alba turning off the light and it would have been perfect, though I did love the wedding. Absolutely did not like anything between the light and the wedding.... not a fan off those wild goose chase type scenes.

I’m on team hated Petra’s dress too....

Share this post


Link to post

Can anyone help me out? I'm drawing a blank.  At the rehearsal dinner, there was one person I couldn't place. Asian (maybe?) man, sitting at the far left of the table in a lot of the shots...?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can anyone help me out? I'm drawing a blank.  At the rehearsal dinner, there was one person I couldn't place. Asian (maybe?) man, sitting at the far left of the table in a lot of the shots...?

Lina’s husband 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

After binge watching Season 4 of Veronica Mars two weekends ago, I was protecting my heart regarding all "dramedy" finales. I know JtV loves a cliffhanger, but was so relieved when they spelled out at the beginning that this will not leave anything left unresolved (that matters). 

It was very satisfying. I feel like the finale justified my 5 years of investment in this wonderful show. I hope there are more characters like Jane Villanueva on other shows to come, I suppose Amy Santiago (Brooklyn 99) is the closest I have to my favorite Type A WOC feminine badass who loves a pro/con list. 

More representation, thanks JtV for showing how to do it right. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Lovely end to a wonderful show. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched a show in which I didn’t hate at least one character. Did a character annoy me at times? Yes. Did I get exasperated with certain storylines? Yes. But I’m so glad I gave this show a chance. It was truly a joy and pleasure getting to know all the characters and watching them evolve.  Farewell JtV you will be missed.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, camom said:

Thanks to those who cleared up the IVF vs artificial insemination question for me.  Did they ever say why Raf and Petra were doing AF? 

I think Petra at some point had a miscarriage, Raf had cancer. In the pilot, however, Raf wanted a divorce and Petra wanted to trap him via surprise baby because of her 10 million prenap.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

After binge watching Season 4 of Veronica Mars two weekends ago, I was protecting my heart regarding all "dramedy" finales.

Same here!  The VM finale was such an utter disappointment...I just have no words for it.  It's rare that a tv series finale can ruin me for ever watching reruns but VM and Rob Thomas managed it.

I loved this finale!  All the major plot lines were resolved in chapter 98 so this was really just about putting a nice bow on everyone's HEA and saying goodbye.  But it's the kind of goodbye where I can still picture all these beloved characters going about their daily lives, loving and supporting each other all the while.  Perfect.

I've seen the video of the cast doing the table read for this last episode and they're all sobbing as they say their lines.  The emotion is absolutely genuine and it shows in this episode.  What an awesome cast!  Best wishes to all of them.  (link for table read video)

I wasn't thrilled about the return of JR.  That's mostly because I'm not a fan of Rosario Dawson...and I don't find her particularly attractive.  I know we're all skin pulled over skulls but it's like her face has no padding whatsoever.  She looks like a female Skeletor to me. 

Goodbye, JtV.  I'll admit to being extremely skeptical of your premise when I first heard about it, so much so that it took me a couple of seasons before deciding to check you out.  Then I binge watched to catch up as fast as possible.  I loved the magical realism, the texting, all of it.  Thank you for a truly heart warming journey.  

Edited by rove4 · Reason: additional thought
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

No wonder the narrator has been team Raf/Jane for most of the show, and there were zero Michael references in the episode, despite all the talk of wedding and him being Jane's first husband,! Although I do feel weird having him referred to as the Latin Lover narrator this whole time when he has been cute little Mateo for as long as we have known him!

While this season has been rather frustrating to me with how the resurrection of Michael was handled and to me, botched, I still loved this show and I thought this was a great way to wrap things up.

I loved the final 2 eps and the show overall, but the ending with no Michael as well as the (rare) poor job of how they included Michael in the final season stuck out to me.  If he wasn't going to be himself, they shouldn't have even bothered.  In addition, he was way too important to the story overall to not merit a mention or a cameo in the finale.  He was a part of their family for so long and it ended as if he never existed.  Maybe that's a result of the time jump, but it's still seems like an empty place at the table.

I loved the Mateo/Latin Lover Narrator reveal.  

I'll truly miss the show, the writing, and the great cast of actors that I'd never seen before.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The story with Michael this season, the back-from-the-dead and the amnesia, it's all such classic telenovela stuff though.  That's the spirit of the whole show, the whole concept that drives it.  If there's a blueprint for telenovelas that stuff has to be in there otherwise it'd be like writing a romance show with nobody being in love, or a murder mystery show with no red herrings.  There are elements for every genre that help define it as being of that genre.  If you watch a bunch of telenovelas it doesn't take long to spot the tropes.  I've never much cared for telenovelas myself (yet another reason why I was sure I wouldn't like this show at first) but my mother and my aunts watch them all the time - and text their frustrations to each other as they watch.  Anyway, when I was pregnant with my first child and we were staying with my parents while our house was being built, I was stuck watching a telenovela (Luz Clarita, I think it was called) with my mother.  Sure enough, there was a character who was thought to be dead but who wasn't...and who had amnesia.  Yes, it's silly but that's part of the charm of this show, how it embraces the over-the-top, bizarre plot points and runs with them.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

I loved this finale!  All the major plot lines were resolved in chapter 98 so this was really just about putting a nice bow on everyone's HEA and saying goodbye.  But it's the kind of goodbye where I can still picture all these beloved characters going about their daily lives, loving and supporting each other all the while.  Perfect.

My sentiments exactly. 

And the LLN even dropped some nuggets about how there's a lot of joy in their future. The whole thing was a beautiful celebration of the family. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This article above comes off as so strange to me, and not particularly insightful, to be honest. Especially after the another rewatch of the show. They say that it's insulting for Michael to be treated as a plot device in season 5, as if he was ever anything but one in all of those previous seasons. He was the biggest obstacle for Jafael, both in season 1 when he was "safe", familiar choice and in season 3 when he was dead but Jane was so scared to actually choose Rafael and admit she's madly in love with him, she tried to run away via Michael's "meant to be" letter that led her to Adam, of all people.

BTW, I'd suggest that the author of the article should write more about other interesting topics, like the treatment of said Adam. Remember Adam? The dude with his own Latin Lover Narrator shtick and the special connection to Mateo? He, after all, was such a big part of Jane's life, her first love, the person she wanted to marry for the first time. Isn't it insulting for him to be treated as plot device to stall Jafael in season 4?

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nice article but I'd argue that it's been more some of the fans who have spouted the whole "Rafael is second choice" nonsense.  I've never seen it that way myself but if the writers maybe felt the need to set the record straight to make that clear, I can hardly blame them.  Shippers can be stubborn.  I think the show did a great job of showing Jane mourn Michael and slowly move though that to a place where she's ready to open herself up again, to learn that a person can have more than one great love in a lifetime and that one does not diminish the other.  Jane didn't speed through her mourning even despite the three year time jump.  She still had moments of sadness and of feeling that loss even years later.  But no one mourns constantly and life moves forward, not backwards.  I think the show did an admirable job of showing that. Mileage on that varies, apparently. 

Edited by rove4
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

This article above comes off as so strange to me, and not particularly insightful, to be honest. Especially after the another rewatch of the show. They say that it's insulting for Michael to be treated as a plot device in season 5, as if he was ever anything but one in all of those previous seasons. He was the biggest obstacle for Jafael, both in season 1 when he was "safe", familiar choice and in season 3 when he was dead but Jane was so scared to actually choose Rafael and admit she's madly in love with him, she tried to run away via Michael's "meant to be" letter that led her to Adam, of all people.

BTW, I'd suggest that the author of the article should write more about other interesting topics, like the treatment of said Adam. Remember Adam? The dude with his own Latin Lover Narrator shtick and the special connection to Mateo? He, after all, was such a big part of Jane's life, her first love, the person she wanted to marry for the first time. Isn't it insulting for him to be treated as plot device to stall Jafael in season 4?

In terms of story structure and character archetypes, yes, Michael was basically the big obstacle to Jane and Rafael. However, I don't think the show treated him that way previous to season five. Michael was just more or less an extension of Jane, but, as far as I remember, he was a "real" person and his relationship with Jane WAS taken very seriously. They were about to be married when the show started, and the show, imo, did go out of their way to show that he was an "epic" love of Jane's, specially after they decided that she would marry him. Maybe it was to make it seem like she and Rafael really wouldn't end up together, but they went on and on about how they met, the magic kiss, how much Michael knew Jane, how happy they were together after they married... and when he died, Jane mourned him for years. She didn't even go out on a single date for years. Her pain was real, because her love for him was real. She really thought that she was going to spend the rest of her life with him.

So, I think that Michael was a huge part of the show and Jane's journey, and I do think that how they treated him and their story this season was appalling. This year he was just a plot device no one really cared about (the characters, I mean) in a rushed plot that wasn't even needed, and their systematic destruction of Jane&Michael's story was just mean spirited. Letting her fall in love with Rafael all over again after she mourned Michael and they were both (she and Rafael) different people was more than fine, but noooo....

Regarding Adam, he came very late in the show and wasn't on very long, so it's not surprising that he might not have had the same impact, even though in theory he too had an important place in Jane's life. Much like how we don't feel much for Michael and Charlie because we didn't see squat (even though in theory she's his destiny now *eyeroll*), it's hard to feel much for Adam & Jane. That's how it works with stories. People will always care more about the story that they're seeing right now, than they do about the backstory that they didn't see much of.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/1/2019 at 3:22 PM, tennisgurl said:

Mateo being the narrator isn't exactly shocking to me, especially after this season. No wonder the narrator has been team Raf/Jane for most of the show, and there were zero Michael references in the episode, despite all the talk of wedding and him being Jane's first husband,! Although I do feel weird having him referred to as the Latin Lover narrator this whole time when he has been cute little Mateo for as long as we have known him!

So the LLN's accent - I guess that was all acting? Because after 6 or 7 years of being around people without a noticeable "LLN" accent, it doesn't seem like he'd possibly sound like that, even if he'd been stranded on a desert island with grandpa Ro for the next 50 years!

Oh well.  I guess if all those Brits and Aussies can do American accents, Mateo should go for it!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So the LLN's accent - I guess that was all acting? Because after 6 or 7 years of being around people without a noticeable "LLN" accent, it doesn't seem like he'd possibly sound like that, even if he'd been stranded on a desert island with grandpa Ro for the next 50 years!

Oh well.  I guess if all those Brits and Aussies can do American accents, Mateo should go for it!

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be acting. Mateo would be like Jane herself, for example. She doesn't have an accent because she grew up in the US. In fact, when Mateo says that great grandma says that he would be great at voice over work and the narrator says "and for the record, I am", he sounds like an average American dude. Then he changes his voice again.

Edited by natyxg
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, natyxg said:

If you want to be even more creeped out, in the original show, Juana La Virgen, Juana is 17, when she's accidentally inseminated and Mauricio is like 34. They made sure that Juana turned 18 before she had sex with him, though, but still... At least Jane was a proper adult when this whole thing happened.

I was young when I watched it and thought nothing of it, but now I kind of shudder.

In the original pilot script for this version, Jane was originally like 14/15/16 (I forgot which one) when she first kissed Rafeal. But it was changed to 18. On this American remake, Rafael is only 7 years older than Jane. She was 18, he was 25 when they first kissed. Some would still view that as uncomfortable but at least she was of a legal age everywhere. 

Edited by Simba122504 · Reason: Removed word
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Simba122504 said:

In the original pilot script for this version, Jane was originally like 14/15/16 (I forgot which one) when she first kissed Rafeal. But it was changed to 18. On this American remake, Rafael is only 7 years older than Jane. She was 18, he was 25 when they first kissed. Some would still view that as uncomfortable but at least she was of a legal age in everywhere. 

What I remember about the pilot script I read was that Luisa was going to die by episode three. And I think Rose was very different in some way that I can't remember right now.

Share this post


Link to post

My heart is full. The wedding was beautiful. They got me. 😭 Jane and Rafael not being able to to read their vows, "Una Flor" playing when Jane steps off the bus, all versions of Jane walking down the aisle and the opening lines coming back to include Rafeal. I'm a mess. The wedding felt real. The series does weddings well but this one felt real once you remove the television hijinks leading up to it. I love that the entire extended family was there. The first time this has ever happened at a JTV wedding. I also love that all of Jane's living grandparents were there. Also never happened before. 4 grandparents. Alba, step grandpa Jorge, Rita and Rogelio's father. Mateo Sr. was there in spirit.  I always knew Mateo was the LLN. Hint after hint after hint was dropped since S1. I knew JR was returning. It's a telenovela and of course social media. Rafeal parents were normal people! Of course if there was S6, we would have found out that the accident was really murder or some other soap opera shit. Thank God it was announced in the series finale. His late parents were regular folk. They joked about the Rose theory. Telenovelas are predictable. Television in general is predictable. JTV had a perfect telenovela ending. After all the shit Rafael and Jane went through. They deserved a happy ending with no drama. They're the main couple. Good characters get happy endings. Petra is really a triplet? She has a brother too! Classic soap trope. I'm going to miss this unique, brilliant series. I'm going to miss Jafael more. But I have always believed nothing should go beyond 5/6 seasons and Jennie's plan was 5 seasons. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, natyxg said:

What I remember about the pilot script I read was that Luisa was going to die by episode three. And I think Rose was very different in some way that I can't remember right now.

Those things are correct too. A few things were different. You can download the whole thing online. Just *Google* it and it pops up. That's what I did. If you never read the original season 3 draft. You can find it on Reddit. If you want me to send you a link I will. I won't be able to do it until tomorrow. You can download that too. Things were also changed. Some subplots in that season was removed or changed. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size