Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01/02: Masada/The Last Supper

• Start Topic

Jesse is rocked by visions of an apocalyptic future as he and Tulip prepare for an all-out assault on Masada, where Cassidy -- trapped to a torturous fate -- struggles to hang on; Starr and his Grail operatives are ready for them.

It's back! 

Note:  This is the regular episode thread for use after the episode has aired.  Please use the S04 All Episodes LIVE CHAT thread for live chat and speculation.

Original air date 2019.08.04

Thoughts:

I don’t know, eliminating a species because they eat their own shit seems a little punitive. But then again, I’m a dog lover.

Genesis is basically a monkey's paw at this point.

Please tell me Starr didn't use Cass's foreskin for his new ear.

Oh, Featherstone. Will you ever win?

Well. Looks like Preacher will be going for broke as it careens towards the finish line. I mean, we start off with God raining meteors upon the Earth because a dinosaur ignored orders not to eat its own shit. And then Cassidy was repeatedly tortured by a Noo Yawk Italian stereotype who donned a yarmulke and repeatedly circumcised him.We wound up with a shot of a bucket full of foreskin, and it looks like some of it was used to repair Herr Starr's ear. Where else on TV can you see this? On "regular" TV, I mean. I don't subscribe, and I've heard Doom Patrol and The Boys get damn freaky without regulations.

Lots of fighting, lots of death, Tulip shoves Featherstone off a cliff, but she has stuff in her outfit that makes her a flying squirrel. Also, Jesse tries to make two assholes be friends with each other, but they wind up getting killed, and they top off the accompanying camels to boot.

I'm trying to keep track of all of the plots (including Saint of Killers hunting Jesse with poor, poor Eugene in tow), but it's tough. The ride should be epic, though.

Oh, and Eugene's credits shot has his lips on the other side of a glory hound hole. "Preacher: Because Fuck Subtlety, That's Why."

ETA: “Glory hound” was typed on my laptop, so I can’t blame autocorrect on that one. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Anybody else here old enough to remember the Masada mini-series with Peters O'Toole and Strauss? The only thing I remember is the Romans firing people into the side of the mountain with catapults.

31 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

glory hound

Not going to Urban Dictionary for this one.

• LOL 3

Did anyone else think that the backshot of the Mafia 'Foreskin Guy' torturer, was Michael 'Reservoir Dogs' Madsen? man that would have been cool, stuck in the middle with you baby! 🔪

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Please tell me Starr didn't use Cass's foreskin for his new ear.

Oh, he did, after getting inspired by a plate of calamari! My question is, why not just chop off Cass' right ear? Wouldn't that make for a much better replacement? But, then they would've lost one of their precious few "hehe, penis" jokes, I guess.

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, Jesse tries to make two assholes be friends with each other, but they wind up getting killed, and they top off the accompanying camels to boot.

And that child-thief's poor dog! Is it all coincidence, or a new side effect/repercussion of using The Word so much? Interesting that it doesn't work on people who speak English (or, presumably, whatever language the person using The Word is speaking), I would've thought it was more of a divine commandment that transcended language. That means Jesse can only control about 20% of the world's population!

I suppose it makes as much sense as someone being able to negate the power by temporarily deafening themselves. Yet his commands can enable a normal person to somehow mystically transport himself to another dimension, or rip his own heart out of his rib cage. And didn't they work on that girl who was basically brain dead, and thus wouldn't be understanding commands in ANY language?

• Love 3

This show just continues to drive that crazy train right off the cliff, and then glides onto the next crazy thing. 

So are Jessie's powers on the fritz because he isn't using them well, or using them too much for petty things? Or is it because he is all emotionally messed up about his weird sort of love triangle between his mostly girlfriend and undead best friend, and guilty about splitting on them again? Is that why Cassidy didn't come with Jessie, because he feels guilty about his feelings for Tulip, or because he really does have some plan, or is he just annoyed at Jessie? He isn't really a multi-step plan guy, so its hard to tell. I hope they can all get on the same page again soon though, the show is at its best when the three main characters are working together and arent separated or being mad at each other for dumb reasons.

How does the Grail even function when they kill their own people so freaking often just for shits and giggles? Where the hell do they recruit people from anyway? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

What exactly happened to make Herr Starr's ear fall off? It looked like a gun shot did it, but that probably wouldn't make a clean separation.

There was a bullet hole on the front of the earphone, so it's just one of those Preacher things.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

How does the Grail even function when they kill their own people so freaking often just for shits and giggles? Where the hell do they recruit people from anyway? 

Has there ever been a problem recruiting people to join a fanatical religious cause?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

There was a bullet hole on the front of the earphone, so it's just one of those Preacher things.

I just assumed after the bullet entered the headphone it just bounced around till the ear was severed which still doesn't make much sense but you KNEW they needed to do something with the pile of foreskins in the episode. For a second there I thought the Calamari was actually foreskins instead of just a way for Herr to have an idea to use them. Kind of stupid having dozens of dead people with perfectly good ears and using foreskins instead. The plot is pretty much to make specific jokes.

• Love 2
On 8/5/2019 at 12:39 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Did anyone else think that the backshot of the Mafia 'Foreskin Guy' torturer, was Michael 'Reservoir Dogs' Madsen? man that would have been cool, stuck in the middle with you baby! 🔪

Yes ! I even said out loud, "I bet that's Michael Madsen."  Oops, but it sounded like him to me.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Has there ever been a problem recruiting people to join a fanatical religious cause?

Clearly not but I mean logistically, considering its all supposed to be a big secret. Are there wanted ads posted for minions in a fanatical religious cult? On community bullitin boards are there signs up like "Wanted: Torturers for Christ" or something? A website that refers you to Holy Grail: If we kill you, its all good its for God or something? Are people just super into the red and white look? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So are Jessie's powers on the fritz because he isn't using them well, or using them too much for petty things? Or is it because he is all emotionally messed up about his weird sort of love triangle between his mostly girlfriend and undead best friend, and guilty about splitting on them again? 

I think it is if you try to use the WORD on people with bad intentions then bad things will happen to those people, even if you tell then to do good things. The pilot was a good person and he continued to do good things. The child robber and the feuding neighbors were "bad" people and bad things happened.

• Love 2

Any episode that opens with 100 mph car sex has to be good.

It figures that even the secret bad guy base at Masada has a Starbucks in it. At least I assume it's a Starbucks. They're everywhere!

"The Holy Bar and Grail"? Groan.

I will never get tired of the "elevator music in the elevator" gag.

How can Featherstone be dumb enough to let Tulip finish climbing the cliff, yet smart enough to have one of those glide-suits built into her uniform?

So many questions about Starr's new ear:

• One would think that the...bits...that the doctor used would still have a little of Cassidy's blood in them. Is Starr going to turn into a vampire now?
  • If he's not going to turn into a vampire, will sunlight set his ear on fire?
  • If he rubs his new ear, will it get larger?
  • Can we consider the conversation where Cassidy talks about foreskins being used in cosmetics as foreshadowing? Or perhaps "forskinshadowing" would be more apt.
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CynVicious said:

Yes ! I even said out loud, "I bet that's Michael Madsen."  Oops, but it sounded like him to me.

Thank you, it was the voice and the hair and maybe a bit of wishful thinking 😋

• Love 1
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Are there wanted ads posted for minions in a fanatical religious cult?

Iv'e often wondered where the James Bond baddies manage to get so many villainous hench-persons, who seem quite happy to help end the world and themselves along with it. I think The Grail would start work on them as children, kids of existing members, a Hitler Youth style of indoctrination.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Dental plans and nice uniforms go a long way.

They do look rather smart, life expectancy not so good although the torture school has its appeal.

I wonder if they'll go down the oozing green puss and foul stench with Starr's 'appendage', or whether it'll actually take, the vampire blood comment above was a good point, Starr as a nightwalker would be a cool twist.

17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It would be funny if all the Grail members were descendants from the original 12 disciples of Jesus Christ.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:10 AM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: “Glory hound” was typed on my laptop, so I can’t blame autocorrect on that one.

A hound, a hole and a pot of strawberry jam...…….mmmmmmmm 🤔

On 8/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, tennisgurl said:

Is that why Cassidy didn't come with Jessie, because he feels guilty about his feelings for Tulip, or because he really does have some plan, or is he just annoyed at Jessie? He isn't really a multi-step plan guy, so its hard to tell. I hope they can all get on the same page again soon though, the show is at its best when the three main characters are working together and arent separated or being mad at each other for dumb reasons.

I do think fear of bursting into flames was part of it, as we saw when Cassidy made it to the door on his own and then realized it was daytime (which,  although there was sunlight coming through the opening of his cell, he might not have paid much attention to, having gnawed off his leg and all.)  It's a little surprising that Jesse and Tulip planned to rescue Cassidy in daylight but didn't think about how they would actually get him safely outside.  Even a couple of thin black Hefty bags would have made a difference.  Loaning him his jacket would not have been sufficient.

I hope we find out why the angel is imprisoned above Cassidy.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2