Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion

I'm probably going to do an entire series watch/re-watch.  I'm early in season one right now, and I'm immediately reminded of two things that stuck with me since I discovered this show.

1. THIS is the proper telling of the Anakin story.

2. It brings up my annoyance again about how much better the third movie would have been with a re-casting of Anakin with a better actor.

Well, I retired last month, we're in the middle of a pandemic lockdown, and I just finished binge-watching the most recently-released Star Wars content: "The Mandolorian."  As such, I think it's time for a complete re-watch of the nine core movies with a couple of side quests to finally see:

• Star Wars:  The Clone Wars and
  • Star Wars:  Rebels.

Hold my Spotchka, I'm going in.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Well, I retired last month, we're in the middle of a pandemic lockdown, and I just finished binge-watching the most recently-released Star Wars content: "The Mandolorian."  As such, I think it's time for a complete re-watch of the nine core movies with a couple of side quests to finally see:

• Star Wars:  The Clone Wars and
  • Star Wars:  Rebels.

Hold my Spotchka, I'm going in.

That takes a long time, but it’s fun. My son and I have been doing this for months now, including Solo and Rogue One. We are now in season 2 of Star Wars: Resistance. We’ll have to backtrack when The Mandolorian’s season 2 comes out.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Meushell said:

That takes a long time, but it’s fun. My son and I have been doing this for months now

Months?  Oh you sweet summer child.  🙂  I predict I'll be done by the end of the week.  

Though I will admit that The Clone Wars has slowed me down -- that is a LOT of content.  I just got to the season two episodes set on Mandalore and I'm paying careful attention (given what I know about the future fate of that race from "The Mandelorian").  And wait, what's this?  Obi-Wan had a romance in the past with the Duchess of Mandalore?  Well, well, well.  The plot thickens.

The BEST thing I learned from the episodes I just watched is that Jango Fett STOLE his Mandelorian armor.  Nice save show-runners!  I was wondering about that (i.e., why he fails to observe the Mandalorian rule regarding hiding his face.)

EDITED TO ADD THIS DEEP THOUGHT:  I think Mandalorian soldiers (as depicted in The Clone Wars) are like Batman in that they are highly trained but ultimately "normal" soldiers who have a LOT of cool gizmos that they use in their fights; while Jedi are a little like Superman in that they have supernatural abilities that are linked to an "alien" source (midicholrians for the Jedi and the earth's sun for Kal-El a.k.a. Superman).

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I posted something here in the wrong thread so, in order to make it go away, (since I can't completely delete a post) here's a helpful Star Wars timeline that helped me get clarity as to when The Clone Wars is set within the Star Wars universe.

image.png.d93e86870b72206a9b3fc56d7c2fcb1c.png

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

Ooh that is helpful! I've started Clone Wars for the first time over the weekend because it was recommended to me. I was doing a Mandalorian rewatch in anticipation of Season 2 coming out on Friday. 

So far, I do feel a little bogged down by it. There's A LOT going on. I love seeing all the different Jedi and that we get to focus on others in the universe beyond Anakin and Obi Wan. Having grown up on the original trilogy, the storm troopers cause me a little ... discomfort maybe? It's easier for them to be the bad guy when you don't think about that they were people with personalities etc. I'll be interested when we get there (do we get there?), to see how it works when order whatever that number is executed. I'm a little concerned I'm about to watch 7 seasons of a show that doesn't know the Chancellor is the big bad guy. It has the potential to feel like those bumbling cop shows. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I'm about to watch 7 seasons of a show that doesn't know the Chancellor is the big bad guy.

You get to watch how the Chancellor grooms Anakin. It is horrifying but truly shows how and why Anakin would turn so easily. It's weird, after watching Clone Wars, it's really hard to see the Storm Troopers as bad. That being said, by the time A New Hope rolls around, I have a feeling there aren't many Clones still serving. The only time it feels like a bumbling cop show is when the C3P0 and R2D2 get their own episodes which happens every dang season. And when Jar Jar Binks shows up which happens more than once, too. 

I will also note that the show is an anthology and not told in a linear fashion. So there is an episode in season 1 (I think) Rookies, about Clones. Later on in the series you'll go back and see their training. When we did a rewatch before the 7th season, we did the chronological order. We did watch when it was on TV, so we also saw the anthology order. They are both good ways to watch the show. The anthology style does not make it hard to follow nor does the chronological make it easier. 

We started watching this when my son was younger and we feel it is one of the best version of Star Wars. It's not a perfect show, but I don't think Mandalorian would have happened without Clone Wars. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, frenchtoast said:

You get to watch how the Chancellor grooms Anakin. It is horrifying but truly shows how and why Anakin would turn so easily.

That I'm excited about then, because it always bothered me a bit how Anakin went from Jedi to youngling murderer so quickly and seemingly easily. 

On 10/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, frenchtoast said:

And when Jar Jar Binks shows up which happens more than once, too. 

I'm now partway through season 2 and he is still so painful to watch. I didn't necessarily mind him in the movies, but the episodes make him seem worse somehow. 

Just saw the episode with the clone deserter and his wife and more and more I find the clones' situation sad. Similar to the robots, they're treated as expendable even though they are sentient. I like they are exploring that within the series with the guy who sold out to the Separatists and now this deserter. 

Still in season 2. Watching the episode with the giant creature from underground after they use the bombs that take out the robots. (The Zillo Beast Strikes Back).  I feel badly for the dead animal. Part of the episode had a very King Kong feel to it. I'm now seeing the evil that is the Chancellor.