Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Guilt Trip

• Start Topic

I thought this was a really solid ep. 

Loved Sackhoff since BG...since this ep revolved around mostly her, I liked it more than the others seen up to this point. 

Show isn't as bad as I've seen online just now imo

• Love 2
10 hours ago, HC87 said:

Show isn't as bad as I've seen online just now imo

I haven't seen anything online, but I mean, that's online. If a show isn't the best thing ever, then it totally sucks. I like space. This is good enough for me. 

I think I saw something on FB and today when zipping through Netflix I found it. I think it's ok. 

I mean, it's Sackhoff on a spaceship. You have the ace, you bet the 2. 

Sackhoff can still fight though. 

Interesting that they said clean water was really expensive. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

I don't think the show is horrible, but I thought this episode sure was. The dreamscape trap has been done to death, and it makes no sense whatsoever that they wouldn't have someone on board who knew the sleep pods inside and out. Their one medic admitted to not knowing very much about them. WTF. (What are they calling those, BTW? Soma sleep? Whatever.)

The show also really overestimated my investment in Niko and her dead lover. OMFG I had to finally hit the fast forward button because that final kiss over the wailing emo music was just driving me insane, it just went on and on and on and on and on.

You know, if they wanted to have this particular cast of characters, they should have approached the premise in a much different way. Say, for example, that the ship itself had been sent by an alien planet and nobody really knew how to use it. So this was the maybe the very best crew they could scrounge up because nobody else was crazy enough to sign up. Or maybe this ragtag bunch hijacked the ship or something. Anything to explain why a bunch of seemingly green 20-somethings would make up the crew of a ship like this on such an important mission.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Anything to explain why a bunch of seemingly green 20-somethings would make up the crew of a ship like this on such an important mission.

He! I think that's the one thing 'Pandora' has covered by their Space-Hogwarts premise.

• LOL 1
On 8/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, iMonrey said:

I don't think the show is horrible, but I thought this episode sure was. The dreamscape trap has been done to death, and it makes no sense whatsoever that they wouldn't have someone on board who knew the sleep pods inside and out. Their one medic admitted to not knowing very much about them. WTF. (What are they calling those, BTW? Soma sleep? Whatever.)

The show also really overestimated my investment in Niko and her dead lover. OMFG I had to finally hit the fast forward button because that final kiss over the wailing emo music was just driving me insane, it just went on and on and on and on and on.

You know, if they wanted to have this particular cast of characters, they should have approached the premise in a much different way. Say, for example, that the ship itself had been sent by an alien planet and nobody really knew how to use it. So this was the maybe the very best crew they could scrounge up because nobody else was crazy enough to sign up. Or maybe this ragtag bunch hijacked the ship or something. Anything to explain why a bunch of seemingly green 20-somethings would make up the crew of a ship like this on such an important mission.

Yes to everything you just said. 

My two cents:  I simply do not understand the casting decisions on this show.  The Asian crewmate that Niko had an affair with on The Pilgrim spaceship who died due to her decision to split the ship in half, just didn't work for me. He (the actor) was doing a fair job on looking interested, but they were a mismatch (in my opinion) and the actress could not generate any chemistry with him. It was actually painful to watch.  The same thing with her husband back home - she struggles to show any feeling for him while manically obsessing over the daughter.  I keep wondering if that is a plot point yet to be revealed or just bad writing.   

A thought I had - they mentioned that The Pilgrim disaster was 9 years ago, and that Niko's daughter just celebrated her 8th birthday.  Does this mean Asian Love Interest was the father?  Was she married back then to Erik or no?  Is Niko's current husband (Erik) aware of her affair with Asian Love Interest?  If they were not already married, did he agree to marry her after The Pilgrim disaster as an act of compassion and friendship to help her raise her daughter?  Is that why he is OK with her lack of interest in him and why they show her constantly asking her husband about the daughter rather than asking him how he is?  So much Jana? Jana? Jana?  

It actually bothers me how much disinterest she shows towards her husband thus far.

In the dream scene where she is at her daughter's birthday party - whose decision was it to put Niko in that dry, garish red lipstick with the pastel dress?  No one else was wearing that color.  Was there some significance to it?  It appeared that it was a 50's theme based on the women's clothing, but if so, all of them would be wearing red lipstick, not just Niko.   Katee the actress looked gaunt, manic and macabre in that scene.  I think the actress has lost too much weight in her face and looks almost as if she is grimacing most of the time.  Her body looks terrifically fit, though.  

I'll keep watching if only to find out if these incongruities mean anything in the end or if they are just poor writing.

• Love 2
On 8/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, Casually Observant said:

Yes to everything you just said. 

My two cents:  I simply do not understand the casting decisions on this show.  The Asian crewmate that Niko had an affair with on The Pilgrim spaceship who died due to her decision to split the ship in half, just didn't work for me. He (the actor) was doing a fair job on looking interested, but they were a mismatch (in my opinion) and the actress could not generate any chemistry with him. It was actually painful to watch.  The same thing with her husband back home - she struggles to show any feeling for him while manically obsessing over the daughter.  I keep wondering if that is a plot point yet to be revealed or just bad writing.   

A thought I had - they mentioned that The Pilgrim disaster was 9 years ago, and that Niko's daughter just celebrated her 8th birthday.  Does this mean Asian Love Interest was the father?  Was she married back then to Erik or no?  Is Niko's current husband (Erik) aware of her affair with Asian Love Interest?  If they were not already married, did he agree to marry her after The Pilgrim disaster as an act of compassion and friendship to help her raise her daughter?  Is that why he is OK with her lack of interest in him and why they show her constantly asking her husband about the daughter rather than asking him how he is?  So much Jana? Jana? Jana?  

It actually bothers me how much disinterest she shows towards her husband thus far.

In the dream scene where she is at her daughter's birthday party - whose decision was it to put Niko in that dry, garish red lipstick with the pastel dress?  No one else was wearing that color.  Was there some significance to it?  It appeared that it was a 50's theme based on the women's clothing, but if so, all of them would be wearing red lipstick, not just Niko.   Katee the actress looked gaunt, manic and macabre in that scene.  I think the actress has lost too much weight in her face and looks almost as if she is grimacing most of the time.  Her body looks terrifically fit, though.  

I'll keep watching if only to find out if these incongruities mean anything in the end or if they are just poor writing.

I thought Niko and her former commander Hudson had plenty of chemistry - it's a mileage varies thing I guess. I also think that they're showing that her husband is more than likely not the love of her life, but someone she chose because she'd never be handed a life and death decision that could kill him. Except, now she has (in a broader sense - the fate of the Earth- and her husband and daughter - may be in her hands). I also don't see any issue with a mother asking her husband how their child is doing. It's a fairly common conversation between parents when one's away - even when things aren't dire.

I did wonder whether or not the daughter is Hudson's. I think she just might be.

Though I didn't like the garish lipstick on Niko - this is a dream sequence and it (and the 50's theme) don't need to make a lot of sense for me.

I don't love the show, but I don't hate it either. I don't mind the cast being young - we have very capable young people in our armed forces right now, and very capable young people in our technical fields. So it's not a that much of a stretch to me.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:51 AM, iMonrey said:

Oh, you mean sort of like Dark Matter. :-)

I liked the *premise* of this ep. It was taking us back to understand the dark place in Niko's life. But it was done so ham-handedly, and the continuing annoyance of the millennial characters and the ugh music choices also dragged it down. With betters et up, and a more delicate (and mature) hand, it could have been a home run.

And BTW, if that last version is what really went down, with her lover on the other side of the door/window, slowly freezing ... how awful.

• Love 2