Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: First Impressions

Drogo
Message added by Bort

NO SPOILERS HERE.  Click HERE to read the rules before posting.

Clairvoyant comments about who makes show group, point and the final team do not belong here.

• Start Topic

Thank goodness for the Fast Forward button when watching on cmt.com....that's all...

Guess I'm just not into the show this year like I used to be

Edited by DCCFanInKy
Added something.
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, dotdot 37 said:

I did not watch the show still waiting to find out if its another VK MTT I watched the promo it VK face showed up more then 8 time.  So tell me how many time did you see VK face in the show

VK likes to be front and center no matter what, so even if they aren't focusing on her, you see her.  The promos and social media don't help at all.  However, they didn't do a backstory on her and you get to know other candidates, so that is worth watching for.

• Love 2

Watching Kristen dance, reminded me of something my husband once said.  In a recital, my husband remarked about another dancer, "did she drop her keys?"

Kristen, though, won my eye roll of the evening for the look on her face when VK came to sit with them.

There were a lot of dancers who were out of their league - so much falling out of turns.

• Love 3

If Victoria wasn't the only one who fell out of turns (and I must admit I might have missed a few of the others who did or they weren't shown), then wasn't she the only one who moved on to semi's?  If she was, then right there shows at least some partiality, especially if the others who did fall out of the turns were just as pretty, just as talented, just as [fill in the blank] as Victoria.  It would make sense if they weren't, but if at least ONE (or more) of the girls were and are but their only mistake was falling out of a turn or making another dance mistake, yet they didn't move on when Victoria DID. . . . 

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2

When they showed the dancers who did not advance to semis, I think I saw Lindsay Waldrop (former Spurs Silver Dancer) walking out while holding a blue Yeti cup and pulling a blue suitcase.  Her hair was much lighter than it was last year when she made it to finals.

In the speculation of who would audition this year, I don't remember seeing her name.  So I am actually wondering if that really was her in the episode.  Does anyone else think that was her?

12 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

World class!

She slipped because she fell out of her turn so badly that she ended up out of the designated dance area.

I wish they’ve kept that and cut the “400 hundred girls are trying out/this is the most competitive year”

Lindsay in the background next to VK looks bigger and always sloppy with her claws, I mean .. hands (who have a mind of their own )

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, GeorgieNY said:

Surprised no one has laughed hysterically at Kelli’s claim that is is the hardest, most comprehensive dance audition in the entire entertainment industry. Hahahahahahahaha!!! Clearly she has never been to a Broadway callback, or even final callbacks for Disney world! She really does have delusions of grandeur. Not saying these women don’t have to work their butts off, but please. 

Also I am currently watching So You Think You Can Dance, and those auditions are ACTUALLY hard and comprehensive. And you get cut immediately. I love Kelli and the DCC but they live in their own oblivious bubble. 

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, GeorgieNY said:

Surprised no one has laughed hysterically at Kelli’s claim that is is the hardest, most comprehensive dance audition in the entire entertainment industry. Hahahahahahahaha!!! Clearly she has never been to a Broadway callback, or even final callbacks for Disney world! She really does have delusions of grandeur. Not saying these women don’t have to work their butts off, but please. 

I can never understand why these ladies voluntarily undergo such incredibly intense scrutiny for what is basically a minimum wage job. Even if they do make the team, not everyone is going to have the same level of success Muhlissuh does. Some of the crap they have to do is right up there with demeaning. I catch myself wishing these ladies would have more self worth and aim for bigger and better things. Yet. I. Keep. Watching!

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

When people were talking about Kat just from the pictures posted here, I thought she was pretty but didn’t understand the fuss. But she wowed me on the show last night, she is beautiful and charismatic. She definitely has that “it” factor and I hope she makes the team.

As for Amanda, I think she is a good dancer and I hope she makes it but I felt like her makeup and hair looked dated last night, hopefully she gets those fixed in training camp if she makes it. She does seem a bit thirsty for fame of any type. 

Edited by MelissaB326
Edit
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, wait.what said:

Did VK’s “I’m so proud of y’all!” Statement to the returning TCCs sound patronizing? Like her approval means anything? Why didn’t she say, I’m so proud of US, having the guts to come back after being eliminated last year ?

It just rubbed me the wrong way. 

Me too. Comes off as condescending to me. It's usually something that a parent says to a child, a coach or teacher  might say  to a student  or maybe even one spouse to another because they feel as though they have an investment in their growth or accomplishments. I never get it when it said amongst equals.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here but I think Lily has a nasty evil streak in her. I wouldn't let let her get behind me in the locker room. I saw her response last year when she got cut saying something to Kelli about how " it must be hard to break people's hearts". And she had a nasty ass look on her face during the returnees interview. I think she could be a real cut throat, not that that's not fun to watch.

Wondering that since there's only six or so spots available if they're still going to bring the usual 20 + girls into training camp. I think it would be rather cruel. I do wonder if Kelly has some veterans in mind to cut because in her initial statement she said there was 30 returning vets and only 6 to maybe 10 spots available. Hmmm.

• Love 5

I both hate and love getting/having to watch episodes late. Love it because I get to read everyone's responses. Hate it because I'm behind in getting my thoughts/opinions out there, but oh well.

Like most (all?) here I absolutely LOVE Kat and think she's a great dancer who would be a wonderful ambassador for the team (not to mention give them some diversity just thought I would mention 😉 )

Victoria ....um.... still doesn't impress me. I guess I'll just leave it at that.

I  am so happy Kristin Dodd returned and will be cheering her on this season. Very pretty, kind and seems to improved enough to make the squad hopefully.

Malena? No

A bit on the fence with Amanda. I'll have to make up my mind as the season progresses. But so far dancewise I like her.

L-O-V-I-N-G that Lily is back to claim what is rightfully hers and can't wait to watch her wear the uniform like, ya know, she was SUPPOSED to be wearing last year. Also liked her deadpan "Victoria, come sit with us" 😂

• Love 4
On 8/2/2019 at 11:38 PM, scorpio1031 said:

Madeline - how could Kelli not know she was a legacy?

Maybe Madeline didn't put it down on her application.. I.m not convinced that it helps for K&J to know- as they will constantly bring it up.

Being a legacy doesn't seem to carry or even imply the same power as a legacy on a college application. The ladies who cheered with /prior to Judy are almost old enough to be grandmothers of an DCC potential. Being a 2nd generation legacy surely isn't going to help catapult them in.

And it's also possible that the mom was just one of the lessor remberances during her tenure of being a DCC- for example only dancing for 1 or 2 seasons.

Also I know a couple  athletes who were "stars" in HS/college and 20 yrs later, who are a little embarrassed about their current physical physic/health status and don't want to be reminded of " the good old days when..". They just want to be the proud parent of___, and let their offspring make their own story.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, sATL said:

it's also possible that the mom was just one of the lessor remberances during her tenure if being a DCC

Right.  Saying "these are your future best friends" doesn't literally mean they all will be.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 8/3/2019 at 4:34 AM, Mardo2044 said:

Glaring favorite, of course.  But I honestly don't think it would be enough to knock someone out of semis if the rest of their dancing was strong.  That said, I immediately thought of the veteran who had a cheering background and cut her trick short on finals so she didn't kick someone in the audience.  They cut her because of that and weight.  It was a trick and not a turn, but their reactions were really harsh and not understanding at all about her falling out.  That is honestly who I thought of, the girls who get NO forgiveness. smh.

I agree with what you are saying and your choice of words is very interesting.

“The favoritism is glaring” sentence from @Lily80 has not the same meaning as “Glaring favorite”.

The emphasis is on the favoritism shown towards a candidate which is more than obvious (glaring), not that a candidate is showing (glaring) that it is a favorite.

It is certainly a small semantic difference but Victoria has not shown anything to be a glaring favorite, she has it without having done anything to merit it, hence the very apt phrased ‘the favoritism is glaring’.

The favorism is glaring and it is staring everybody right in the face and we, the people, are struck by it. Some more than others.

I just see big issues coming up with Victoria on the field. Tina’s baby or not, it will be unworkable for K&J to have her mess up routines all the time. The glaring favoritism will eventually succumb to self preservation!

Edited by Pau84
Typo
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Pau84 said:

It is certainly a small semantic difference but Victoria has not shown anything to be a glaring favorite, she has it without having done anything to merit it, hence the very apt phrased ‘the favoritism is glaring’.

I stand corrected.  Now if only someone would correct Victoria....

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

When people said VK lost weight and looks good, I thought she would look REALLY good.  IMO she has toned, but not done a significant transformation like Vivian.

I really like Meredith, I think her voice can be off-putting and she is slow in her speech but she is beautiful and I think her dance technique is strong. She may need to find some power, but she has the Judy seal of approval.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

I noticed that too. Lindsay W. looked thick.

If she was the girl behind VK I agree!  Now I want to be total conspiracy theory and wonder if they surrounded VK with the fuller figure girls for her audition.... likely not but fun to speculate!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I am imaging...

VK walking around during break. She made no friends during prelims. 

Cameras on returning girls talking, VK sees this and walks by. 

In monotone voice from one of the returnees:  “Victoria, come join the party.”

Dead. 😄

I am rooting hard for Lily, Kristen and Amanda. 

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
23 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I can't pinpoint why but I can't stand Melissa Rycroft (which I know goes against popular opinion).  She reminds me of popular high school girls who act like they're your friend but behind your back are saying,"Can you believe she's wearing that?"

Mr. Angeltoes doesn't like Judy because she's "mean."

Kelli has definately lost weight.

I can't stand Melissa the mentor... I wish they'd stop using her.  She gives off an ultimate mean girl vibe to me. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, JerseyGirl said:

Did anyone see Scott the Weatherman?  I am afraid TPTB didn’t invite him back this year for calling it the way it was (and we all saw the disaster) in VK’s prelims from last year. 

I saw him at the greeting of the judges near the beginning of the episode.  So he is there!  I like Julia the weather girl,  so maybe Scott will put in a good word for her at deliberation!

On 8/3/2019 at 12:12 AM, Loves2Dance said:

I don't think so...but maybe? They did mention 3 legacies, but only talked about Victoria and Dayton so she could have been the 3rd. But I remember seeing a SM post about a special send off with some of Shannon's former teammates and I don't recall seeing something like that last year---I feel like if that existed, we would have known about it. 

We’ll Gaebri Anderson tried our last year... so we consider her a legacy?

I counted 20 across and 7 rows, so my tabulation is 140.  Wow, that seems so low!  Someone check me please.  They said 101 made semis, so clearly cut just the obvious won't fit uniform or not DCC face.

• Love 2

I used to watch this show years ago and am happy that it's still on.  There are a few things I wonder about.

Do the girls who are featured receive any compensation for being featured on the show?  Do they get paid by the episode?  I know this isn't a "reality show" but I was just curious.

How many times can someone try out?  If a girl keeps coming back and never makes training camp, will someone gently tell her that maybe DCC isn't for her?

Just wondering.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

When people said VK lost weight and looks good, I thought she would look REALLY good.  IMO she has toned, but not done a significant transformation like Vivian.

I really like Meredith, I think her voice can be off-putting and she is slow in her speech but she is beautiful and I think her dance technique is strong. She may need to find some power, but she has the Judy seal of approval.

I think VK is right on the edge she does look good but can't afford even 5 lb. She'll get that little belly flab back.

Meredith is so glassy-eyed that it really makes me wonder. I'd really be surprised if she has the energy to show a lot of power in any sustained way.

2 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

If she was the girl behind VK I agree!  Now I want to be total conspiracy theory and wonder if they surrounded VK with the fuller figure girls for her audition.... likely not but fun to speculate!

I considered the same thing! When I saw the girl that was behind her who was heavy and wearing granny panties I purposely rewound to see the rest of the group. They all looked like Melissa Rycroft's "favorites". I seriously wouldn't doubt that it was rigged that way.

Edited by seasick
Typo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I counted 20 across and 7 rows, so my tabulation is 140.  Wow, that seems so low!  Someone check me please.  They said 101 made semis, so clearly cut just the obvious won't fit uniform or not DCC face.

Does anyone have picture of board? Are we sure it was actually 101 that made it to semis? I mean if they lie saying 400 showed up, they also may be misrepresenting how many made it to the next round. 

13 hours ago, seasick said:

Me too. Comes off as condescending to me. It's usually something that a parent says to a child, a coach or teacher  might say  to a student  or maybe even one spouse to another because they feel as though they have an investment in their growth or accomplishments. I never get it when it said amongst equals.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here but I think Lily has a nasty evil streak in her. I wouldn't let let her get behind me in the locker room. I saw her response last year when she got cut saying something to Kelli about how " it must be hard to break people's hearts". And she had a nasty ass look on her face during the returnees interview. I think she could be a real cut throat, not that that's not fun to watch.

Wondering that since there's only six or so spots available if they're still going to bring the usual 20 + girls into training camp. I think it would be rather cruel. I do wonder if Kelly has some veterans in mind to cut because in her initial statement she said there was 30 returning vets and only 6 to maybe 10 spots available. Hmmm.

Disagree about Lily. She seemed (rightfully so) completely caught off guard last year. I hope she makes the team this year--I think she'd make a great addition to the squad.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Pebbles116 said:

Disagree about Lily. She seemed (rightfully so) completely caught off guard last year. I hope she makes the team this year--I think she'd make a great addition to the squad.

Same.  Lily handled her exit with understandable emotion but also grace.  No major meltdown.  I get nothing but team player vibes from her so I am definitely pulling for her to make the squad this year.  From the photos and comments I've seen on IG, existing DCC ladies seem to very much like her.  I think they would be very happy to welcome her to the team.

• Love 14

Oh and I figured out the skipped numbers and inflated number of hopefuls...There are several check in stations...who probably have a specific set of sequential numbers (1-75, 76-150, etc)...so there will be left over numbers at each station...they may have had numbers available for 400 but only 175 showed, so if Victoria checked in at Station 4, she got a high number (300+) but maybe only 50 people checked in there starting with #301.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I used to watch this show years ago and am happy that it's still on.  There are a few things I wonder about.

Do the girls who are featured receive any compensation for being featured on the show?  Do they get paid by the episode?  I know this isn't a "reality show" but I was just curious.

How many times can someone try out?  If a girl keeps coming back and never makes training camp, will someone gently tell her that maybe DCC isn't for her?

Just wondering.

I don't get the impression applicants get paid, but don't honestly know.  I am pretty sure I read that they are encouraged to sign the release for filming from CMT.  Tryouts are open, so anyone can try out that is over 18.  There is a 50 year old doctor that comes and trys out frequently just because she can.  I have always heard they do not get feedback for why they did not make the next level in the process (semis or finals), so the only people that receive feedback would be those in training camp and they get dance notes and at times called in the office.  

Now, I do think they have relationships with some of these studios, etc. and Texas schools,  so should one of those coaches call and ask for feedback I do wonder if there might be a conversation between directors and Kelli might say "issue of flexibility, kicks" or whatever.  Also based on nothing, just guessing.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

Oh and I figured out the skipped numbers and inflated number of hopefuls...There are several check in stations...who probably have a specific set of sequential numbers (1-75, 76-150, etc)...so there will be left over numbers at each station...they may have had numbers available for 400 but only 175 showed, so if Victoria checked in at Station 4, she got a high number (300+) but maybe only 50 people checked in there starting with #301.

Yes a girl who auditioned a couple years ago confirmed that on here. It’s probably buried about 10000 posts ago. I think Shelly also confirmed that it makes the check-in process go quicker. 

3 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

Did anyone see Scott the Weatherman?  I am afraid TPTB didn’t invite him back this year for calling it the way it was (and we all saw the disaster) in VK’s prelims from last year. 

Yes! He is there in Kat’s dancing segment. When she did the “come-hither,” and Scott’s like “Yep, I’ll go with you.” And Judy’s resounds “I’m about to come over the table,” I literally lol’d.

Kats my favorite. Her It-Factor is off the charts and she’s so well-spoken.  

Lily is my next favorite with her deadpan delivery of “Victoria, come sit with us.” If that played out in emoji: 😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐🤮. That was my second lol. Interesting since Jasmine was also there with them and last year it seemed like Jasmine and Victoria were friends? Maybe not anymore? 

Very unpopluar opinion, so be warned: I do not find Amanda attractive. At all. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
Additional info
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

Did anyone see Scott the Weatherman?  

Oh yes - fangirling over Kat:)

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

How many times can someone try out?  If a girl keeps coming back and never makes training camp, will someone gently tell her that maybe DCC isn't for her

There is that one girl who is trying out for her 7th time this year:/

27 minutes ago, Spunkyyy said:

Does anyone have picture of board? Are we sure it was actually 101 that made it to semis? I mean if they lie saying 400 showed up, they also may be misrepresenting how many made it to the next round. 

They have never lied about how many are going to semis.  However, since the number of girls auditioning has dropped severely, they always exaggerate those numbers.  It used to be what - over 1000 girls auditioning?

25 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I get nothing but team player vibes from her so I am definitely pulling for her to make the squad this year. 

That is one big difference between VK and the others - being a team player.  If she makes it, will she accept these girls as her teammates, or will they always be her competition?  Some use it to make themselves a better, stronger dancer, but can build a friendship on top of that.   Last year, VK didn't quite bond with the other TCC's, so if she makes it into TC, will she try?  Will it happen organically or will she be coached by CMT?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

That is one big difference between VK and the others - being a team player.  If she makes it, will she accept these girls as her teammates, or will they always be her competition?  Some use it to make themselves a better, stronger dancer, but can build a friendship on top of that.   Last year, VK didn't quite bond with the other TCC's, so if she makes it into TC, will she try?  Will it happen organically or will she be coached by CMT?

VK does struggle with connecting with others. I think she means well, but has never had to be the 'wannabe' position so doesn't know how to form healthy relationships. I get along well with most people, but don't form real friendships easily. The 'clique-y' people usually annoy me more than make me want to be one of them. 

Just rewatched Episode 1. Lily's forced, "Victoria, come join the par-teh." makes me wonder if she was "directed" into saying that, or something somewhat welcoming. Her gaze looked slightly askance, like she wanted to look anywhere but at VK.

• Love 7