Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: First Impressions

Drogo
Message added by Bort

NO SPOILERS HERE.  Click HERE to read the rules before posting.

Clairvoyant comments about who makes show group, point and the final team do not belong here.

• Start Topic

Seriously, does production have a stock apartment they show these girls "at home" in? I swear I've seen this same apartment shot--girl dancing in front of kitchen island--every season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Tootie said:

2019-08-02 (145) - Copy.png

I'm no dancer, but I remember commenters last year on here saying she lacked control. Too big in her movements. Maybe that's it. She looks very slimmed down and tone though.

• Love 3

What was also interesting about Victoria’s fall was that she was not even remotely concerned when they interviewed her afterwards. Like “yeah I fell...as if I won’t make it to semis 🤷🏽‍♀️😁” 

Edited by milehigh
  • LOL 5
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, milehigh said:

What was also interesting about Victoria’s fall was that she was not even remotely concerned when they interviewed her afterwards. Like “yeah I fell...as if I won’t make it to semis 🤷🏽‍♀️😁” 

Of course not, TK wouldn't have allowed her to audition again without some assurances that she'd make the team.

• Love 12

T&J keep Pooh poohing VK falling out of turns, but she’s a hazard on the sidelines.  You already have to keep your eyes out for the players running off the field, now I have to watch out for my fellow cheerleader? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Caught a re-run because let's be honest---the premiere of Descandant's 3 was way more important to my kids then the DCC. Here is the only thing that stood out to me...

Kelli: "You could be sitting next to your roommate, your bridesmaid...etc, etc..."

Cut to Lexie's video with Alexis, Madeline & Savannah. 

40 minutes later...

Kelli: "I didn't realize until she was dancing that she [Madeline S.] was a legacy...her mom cheered with me."

Okay, so these women won't be BFFs4Eva because you're either lying about knowing Madeline S was going to try out or you're lying to these girls about the 'family' aspect of the team.

Didn't Madeline S. try out last year as well? (didn't make it to camp, don't know about finals) -- Kelli had to know who she was.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, hannahbanana said:

Didn't Madeline S. try out last year as well? (didn't make it to camp, don't know about finals) -- Kelli had to know who she was.

I don't think so...but maybe? They did mention 3 legacies, but only talked about Victoria and Dayton so she could have been the 3rd. But I remember seeing a SM post about a special send off with some of Shannon's former teammates and I don't recall seeing something like that last year---I feel like if that existed, we would have known about it. 

• Love 3

Impressions... unlike others here before the show aired, I was not all that impressed with Amanda's look (she has wide set eyes, much like Jackie Kennedy did and I just personally never cared for that, no idea why!), BUT listening to her backstory and seeing her dance has me hoping for her success.

Kat.... wow! I thought she was lovely from the photos I had seen of her, but watching her during auditions, she is captivating. She definitely has the dance skills and the "it factor".

VK.... annoying and not at all ready last year, I still wanted to give her a second chance and look at her with neutral eyes this year. She still is a mini tornado, but made a rather charming recovery from being off balance and slipping on the pom poms. She was definitely in better physical shape.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, beagledog100 said:

A4C997E0-C143-4FF8-B048-8C7863DEC22F.jpeg

This cracks me up

You get my 2nd place MVP award! 

5 minutes ago, Agent Gully said:

Impressions... unlike others here before the show aired, I was not all that impressed with Amanda's look (she has wide set eyes, much like Jackie Kennedy did and I just personally never cared for that, no idea why!), BUT listening to her backstory and seeing her dance has me hoping for her success.

Kat.... wow! I thought she was lovely from the photos I had seen of her, but watching her during auditions, she is captivating. She definitely has the dance skills and the "it factor".

VK.... annoying and not at all ready last year, I still wanted to give her a second chance and look at her with neutral eyes this year. She still is a mini tornado, but made a rather charming recovery from being off balance and slipping on the pom poms. She was definitely in better physical shape.

I really love Amanda.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

They did mention 3 legacies, but only talked about Victoria and Dayton so she could have been the 3rd. 

Do the girls HAVE to sign a release to be featured on MTT or can they opt out of having any of their audition shown?

Thoughts so far...Lily looks boring. Not a huge fan of Julia’s look AT ALL. I love Kristen a ton, I’m a huge fan but she looks heavy this year. Dear God NO with Malena. I have to say Veruca does look a lot better this year. That fall, though...Jesus Christ. Kelli’s “only Victoria!” Almost seemed like a joke it was so cheesy. 

• Love 7

Finally getting to watch it.  I don't think I've ever seen Judy and Scott fight over the same girl before:)  Can't say I blame them.  Kat was awesome.

I love Kristen and Lily.  Bret is pretty in her pictures, but very telegenic.  I like Amanda and Julia.

Madeline - how could Kelli not know she was a legacy?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nombre said:

I don’t think the fall was that bad.   She didn’t go all the way to the ground and only slipped because she landed on a pom. 🤷🏽‍♀️

1 hour ago, Mercurialsteph said:

Actually her turns were nice until she lost her balence and slipped. She just needs control. Just reign it in a bit girl...

Her turns were . . . ok, but she STILL fell out of them which led to her stepping on the poms and falling.  Falling out of turns indicates a lack of core strength as well as a lack of GOOD solid technique and teaching. It's always obvious to see who has the good technique and teaching and who doesn't.  From what I've seen so far (and including last year's Training Camp as well as the time between then and now), Victoria's turns have not only NOT improved, dare I say they've gotten worse?

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

@ShellyB you're up because I have no clue if opting out of the MTT release is an option. 

If my memory's correct there WAS someone previously who sued (I think) to keep their cut from being shown...of course when someone reminds me of her name I'm gonna totally kick myself.....going to bed now 🙂

3 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

If my memory's correct there WAS someone previously who sued (I think) to keep their cut from being shown...of course when someone reminds me of her name I'm gonna totally kick myself.....going to bed now 🙂

Erica?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Amy Reese allegedly sued

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
Just now, Loves2Dance said:

Erica?

Somebody downthread answered....Amy Reese  thx for replying.  Goodnight!

1 minute ago, scorpio1031 said:

Amy Reese allegedly sued

What yr was that again? Thx and goodnight for now 🙂

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, chrishunt said:

I love Kat and Amanda! Bret is also absolutely gorgeous. Meredith still sounds stoned. In fact, every time she talks I feel like a lose some brain cells. 

It’s the vocal fry. I wonder if some of these young women will have issues with their vocal chords when they’re older. I really do. It seems like such an odd thing to do to your throat. But I’m a former smoker who vapes constantly, so who am I to judge?

• LOL 4

I have an opinion (not that anyone asked):

-Okay, the new song/opening sucks

- Love that Phil and Shelley were both given a full credit when they appeared

- Kelli looked good. Good dress

- Lexie’s wedding message was ridiculous

- Once again, VK cannot stay in her space

- Music was horrible...once again.

That’s it. 😕

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, nrskim said:

HATE...can you say HATE? Despise, loathe, abhor..the new opening song. It's the worst song I've ever heard, right up there with last season's SNF song. Makes my ears bleed, I'll be muting that for sure, AWFUL!!!! Horrifying

2 hours ago, Dnst1973 said:

I’m with you. It’s really bad! The new song is painful 😣 to hear. MUTE 🤐 

2 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but Marshall posted the new intro on his IG stories:)  Don't like it.

2 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Me too!  It’s awful—both music and voice!  

IIRC, @ShellyB said that is Cassadee Pope singing.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Lily80 said:

Honestly, I think as long as she’s slim enough and not a hot mess, she’s in. Lower standards for her, but she does have the DCC body now and she can dance

Well, at least she can flail around . . .

Isn't "a hot mess" the very definition of Victoria?

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, go4luca said:

She started slim last year too.  Then by week 11 of TCC she looked like this.  

1776495176_VKweek11.jpg.8904312225c96f44d8f1af182cf1a50f.jpg

True... but she looks slimmer to me than at last year’s auditions. Hopefully she has changed her lifestyle and isn’t just yo-yo dieting. No denying she looks good!

Marlena seams exactly the same as last year. Beautiful, sweet, over-eager, soft dancer without power.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lily80 said:

True... but she looks slimmer to me than at last year’s auditions. Hopefully she has changed her lifestyle and isn’t just yo-yo dieting. No denying she looks good!

Sure.  For now.  Hope she isn't using pills. 

But there's also no denying that just like last year at finals, she fell out of her turns.  Only that time, it was caught on the jumbotron during Finals.  TPTB all went "awww..."  Why is this acceptable for Vic but no one else?

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
51 minutes ago, chrishunt said:

I love Kristen a ton, I’m a huge fan but she looks heavy this year

She looks ripped though. Those abs! Were they real or sprayed on? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, go4luca said:

But there's also no denying that just like last year at finals, she fell out of her turns.  Only that time, it was caught on the jumbotron during Finals.  TPTB all went "awww..."  Why is this acceptable for Vic but no one else?

Oh, for sure. The favoritism is glaring. 

• Love 14

Not thrilled with the new opening...don't care for Cassadee Pope on a regular day. Loved Kelli's shoes, thought her dress was too long...I'm considerably older than she is and my dresses hit mid knee...loved Judy's blue dress...Neal McCoy is always a blast.

Ah Victoria...she'll be fine. Malena doesn't stand a chance and it shows. Chandi stood out for me. So so on Amanda. Loved Kenya even though she wasn't going to make it. Not a Meredith fan...not a Kristen fan either...didn't like her last year.

Onward to Week 2

• Love 2
2 hours ago, FLAfan said:

What a disappointment to previous years, especially Season 3 (2008)

where they had so many rockstars.

I can’t believe this year is even worse than last. 

Maybe they just want mediocre talent so everyone blends together.  When you have rockstars the weaker dancers are noticed more. It is weird that the skill level has gone down some, it’s like they are looking for just good kickers. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Jazzmom said:

Maybe they just want mediocre talent so everyone blends together.  When you have rockstars the weaker dancers are noticed more. It is weird that the skill level has gone down some, it’s like they are looking for just good kickers. 

Except their kicks aren't always that great either.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I think the shade of Lily’s hair ages her. So I was watching her but wishing it was different—maybe darker. 

Yes, I think a darker blonde.  I like Lily but I always felt her hair was not fixed last season and was lacking refinement, as Judy would say "maybe a brush!"

• Love 5
3 hours ago, go4luca said:

Glaring favorite, of course.  But I honestly don't think it would be enough to knock someone out of semis if the rest of their dancing was strong.  That said, I immediately thought of the veteran who had a cheering background and cut her trick short on finals so she didn't kick someone in the audience.  They cut her because of that and weight.  It was a trick and not a turn, but their reactions were really harsh and not understanding at all about her falling out.  That is honestly who I thought of, the girls who get NO forgiveness. smh.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, PBSLover said:

I have an opinion (not that anyone asked):

-Okay, the new song/opening sucks

- Love that Phil and Shelley were both given a full credit when they appeared

- Kelli looked good. Good dress

- Lexie’s wedding message was ridiculous

- Once again, VK cannot stay in her space

- Music was horrible...once again.

That’s it. 😕

Vk falling out of her space was a pet peeve of many last year.  I am not a dancer and never saw it.  The squares on that dance floor really DO show she travels when dancing, so I see it now.  Now the falling out of turns, always obvious!

Kelli does look good, maybe she trimmed down a bit.

Lexie's wedding message with the baby sounds in the edit, very professional.  They probably wanted to show that they film more than Cassie's wedding and have no favoritism on this show! lol

Edited by Mardo2044
Im wordy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Okay, so these women won't be BFFs4Eva because you're either lying about knowing Madeline S was going to try out or you're lying to these girls about the 'family' aspect of the team.

She says 400 (one promo says thousands but it isn't Kelli) try out when we know it isn't true.  How VK deserves a spot.  So lying isn't an issue for Kelli.  She knew Madeline S was auditioning.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Kelli: "You could be sitting next to your roommate, your bridesmaid...etc, etc..."

Kelli: "I didn't realize until she was dancing that she [Madeline S.] was a legacy...her mom cheered with me."

Talk about a manipulative “sell” !!

These girls are so desperate to be a part of it that they put up with emotional abuse galore and yes ma’am the whole way....

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, kevinrm45 said:

GjLVhCs.gif

World class!

7 hours ago, Nombre said:

I don’t think the fall was that bad.   She didn’t go all the way to the ground and only slipped because she landed on a pom. 🤷🏽‍♀️

She slipped because she fell out of her turn so badly that she ended up out of the designated dance area.

7 hours ago, VintageJ said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember hearing about the famous system Kelli devised for judging the girls!  I can’t believe it!

Love Kat!  Love Charm!  

I wish they’ve kept that and cut the “400 hundred girls are trying out/this is the most competitive year”

• Love 9

Loved reading that there are others who strongly dislike the new opening song.........I was ready to call CMT before the song finished.......not good!

i thought there were too many candidate interviews, they tried to put in this first episode........they were really nice though.

The new song is HORRIFIC. SO SO BAD. Who wrote those lyrics? It is humorous how dire it is.

I'm so bored with Victoria but enjoyed the strong dislike vibes coming from Lily.

Charm seems cool but I have no idea why they intro'ed her three times???

Yay Shelly and Phil - also Judy is way better value than Kelli is now, she's way more fun and funny.

LOL on the "these are your future best friends" but "I didn't recognise my rookie sister's kid" - come on Kelli! 

LOVED that we didn't get the yes/no/maybe explanation but didn't love how much they banged on about the board!!!! Literally the most straightforward concept in history. 

TAKE AWAY: I feel like there are so many girls trying out again and so few spots on the squad it doesn't really feel like a new season, just an extension of last season? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I don’t understand why after 14 seasons, they had to go and change the introduction song. 

Isn’t Victoria supposed to be a trained technical dancer? She fell out of her turn so badly my 8 year old said “wow she fell out of her turn which caused her to slip and almost fall mom!” I mean I’m not a Victoria hater but damn. That was funny. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 13