Type keyword(s) to search

Lights Out with David Spade - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don’t know whether it’s because a David can’t get A list guests or whether he’s a nice guy helping out not as famous comedians, but I appreciate that his guests are not writers or actors just their to promote their latest projects.

• Love 1

I've really been enjoying this lately. I feel like he's settled in and more comfortable now, so things flow better. I normally hate Dennis Miller, but he's tolerable and actually funny here. I liked last night's SNL Weekend Update sort-of reunion, with them reminiscing about Chris Farley and SNL shenanigans. I also liked when Martin Short and Maya Rudolph were on together. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I've really been enjoying this lately. I feel like he's settled in and more comfortable now, so things flow better.

I agree. My only complaint is that I wish some shows, like last night's, were an hour.

I could listen to those guys reminisce and snark on each other for a lot longer than 10 minutes total. I also appreciate that Spade laughs at the gibes at his expense (or pretends to, which is the same to me).

Because of trending topics and rotating panelists, I don't get the sense that several episodes are recorded at once and wonder how long comics will be willing to drag themselves out to the studio for such little airtime.

I'm also enjoying the segments with Spade's mother, as long as they stay infrequent treats. I felt the same about Letterman's mom.

The pieces with Spade directing newbies during a comedy set is not a premise that holds up for me and I'm already kind of bored with it.

• Love 2

Agree that Spade is getting more comfortable and so that makes it more enjoyable to watch. I do think that having mostly comics on riffing is fun, but people like Rob Lowe who “ get it” are great guests because they enjoy the talk without feeling like they have to compete.

• Love 3

I'm tired of female comics like Annie Ledeman who rely almost entirely on "I'm such a slut" humor. Get another joke!

After screwing up some of their names, I've noticed that David now introduces the panelists by first name only and lets the chryons do the heavy lifting.

I thought he looked the nicest he ever has last night with the shirt and sweater outfit. Casual but not sloppy.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2019 at 1:44 AM, Caseysgirl said:

Agree that Spade is getting more comfortable and so that makes it more enjoyable to watch. I do think that having mostly comics on riffing is fun, but people like Rob Lowe who “ get it” are great guests because they enjoy the talk without feeling like they have to compete.

Yes, Rob Lowe is just commenting and being himself, which is enjoyable.  Annie kept jumping in with weird, unfunny "jokes" and it was really annoying. 

On 12/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, 2727 said:

I'm tired of female comics like Annie Ledeman who rely almost entirely on "I'm such a slut" humor. Get another joke!

Thank you.  It is funny if it is peppered in a little bit, and I do like Amy Schumer's slutty jokes.  But Annie Lederman was really aggressive with it, and it was awful.  She is trying really hard to be Whitney Cummings.  Maybe I just don't like her.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 1

I am mostly loving this show.  I already love David Spade, just his low-key, self deprecating self.  I did not see when Bhad Bahbie was on, but wish I had seen it.  She is the girl, Danielle something, who was on Dr. Phil’s show some years ago as an out-of-control teenager.  Famous for yelling, “Catch me outside, how ‘bout DAT?” at an audience member.  🙄

• Love 1
14 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Noooooo! Cristela  Alonzo. The first time she was on she was laughing hysterically during his opening and then every comment by anyone. I don’t know if I can sit through it again. She’s not funny and had such an irritating laugh. Trying too hard. 

I'm five minutes into watching this episode and the cackling is driving me nuts. And she's not funny this time around either. 

• Love 2

I think this show has continued to grow on me. Spade seems more comfortable now & allows his panel to shine and if he enjoys a joke will give them props. It’s also a great way to see newer comedians and old favorites (Kevin Nealon is a great guest who doesn’t always have a platform on other talk shows). This is on my DVR playlist now.

• Love 4
On 1/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, Caseysgirl said:

I think this show has continued to grow on me. Spade seems more comfortable now & allows his panel to shine and if he enjoys a joke will give them props. It’s also a great way to see newer comedians and old favorites (Kevin Nealon is a great guest who doesn’t always have a platform on other talk shows). This is on my DVR playlist now.

I am LOVING this show! Some nights/ panels are better than others, but I think it’s pretty consistent. I’m a huge fan of Spade’s, as well as Nealon’s. They’re both smart and self-deprecating. I really enjoyed the episode last month with the former Weekend Update hosts: Nealon, Norm MacDonald, and Dennis Miller. 

I like Annie Lederman. She was on tonight with two other comics I wasn’t familiar with, and I genuinely laughed out loud many times. I have my favorites but I also enjoy discovering new comics. Spade is very generous and encouraging to newbies, sometimes taking them right out of the club and giving them a “tight five” minutes on the show. Definitely a new favorite ❤️

ETA: Kevin Nealon has a show, I think on YouTube (?), where he interviews guests while hiking. My brother loves it. I need to check it out. 

Edited by 7isBlue
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

Spade is very generous and encouraging to newbies, sometimes taking them right out of the club and giving them a “tight five” minutes on the show.

It's a very, very cool thing to do. I've enjoyed all of them so far. 

• Love 3
On 2/7/2020 at 2:13 AM, 7isBlue said:

I like Annie Lederman. She was on tonight with two other comics I wasn’t familiar with, and I genuinely laughed out loud many times. I have my favorites but I also enjoy discovering new comics. Spade is very generous and encouraging to newbies, sometimes taking them right out of the club and giving them a “tight five” minutes on the show. Definitely a new favorite ❤️

I thought Spade may be a little annoyed with her.  He (jokingly) shut her down right out of the gate, and she would not laugh at ALL during the opening monologue.  I could tell she was pouting, and Spade did go out of his way to kind of tease her out of her mood.  I don't think it is a good decision on her part to get pissy with the host of the show, even if what he did was rude. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2020 at 8:14 AM, heatherchandler said:

I thought Spade may be a little annoyed with her.  He (jokingly) shut her down right out of the gate, and she would not laugh at ALL during the opening monologue.  I could tell she was pouting, and Spade did go out of his way to kind of tease her out of her mood.  I don't think it is a good decision on her part to get pissy with the host of the show, even if what he did was rude. 

Ah...I forgot about that bit at the beginning. I didn’t make much of it, just because it did seem like lighthearted teasing by Spade. Spade encourages heckling by his guests, and it’s pretty funny. Norm MacDonald and Jay Leno were especially ruthless. 

On 2/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, heatherchandler said:

I wonder if what happened got to Spade since he stopped doing the opening monologues.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

Ah...I forgot about that bit at the beginning. I didn’t make much of it, just because it did seem like lighthearted teasing by Spade. Spade encourages heckling by his guests, and it’s pretty funny. Norm MacDonald and Jay Leno were especially ruthless. 

It was just like, he immediately shut her down and then she looked SO ANGRY for the rest of the monologue.  I have been there, I know that feeling when you are angry and sad but cannot pull it together even though you know you need to.  So I felt for her, but I was like, omg pull it together.

I think they all heckle, but Spade shut her down so fast and then let the other guy speak.  I could just read it all on their faces.  And then during break, he threw his cards down and walked away from her, so I couldn't figure out if they were ok and he was kidding or what.

I am obviously giving all of this wayyyy too much thought!

• Love 1

Nice having Jim Carrey on. Some good stories there.

Still enjoying this show. It's light and the rotating panel definitely reveals some favorites. I miss the monologue at the beginning especially when there are some heavy hitter panelists that really rib Spade. It does give more time for the panel though.

One thing I don't like is when a panelist has their prewritten joke for a subject which they interject when the other panelists have clearly gone off script and are riffing. It always brings the energy and momentum to a halt and David is forced to move on. The grumpy girl with the straight black hair is a recent example. 

Favorite recurring bit is the non-standup standup where they feed the jokes. Some of those were gold.

• Love 5

The interview with Jim Carrey was the first time I’ve been able to enjoy him (Carrey) in a while. For some reason being with another comic seemed to calm him down a bit and I didn’t feel the need to fast forward through the whole interview. I believe that they actually respect each other and that was refreshing.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 9:55 AM, heatherchandler said:

It was just like, he immediately shut her down and then she looked SO ANGRY for the rest of the monologue.  I have been there, I know that feeling when you are angry and sad but cannot pull it together even though you know you need to.  So I felt for her, but I was like, omg pull it together.

Can you recap what happened here for me?  I delete the episodes after I watch them but haven't noticed any real tension since that Bhabie girl was on & the other panelists/chair sitters made subtle digs at her that she obviously didn't pick up on.  I've always got the impression Spade is supportive of the newbie "tight 5" people. but could be wrong here.

Agree with the above post about Carrey.  I don't generally enjoy him, even though I like maybe half his movies, but he was calmer here - not his usual over-the-top, always on, annoying self, & so I thought the interview was entertaining.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2020 at 3:59 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:

Can you recap what happened here for me?  I delete the episodes after I watch them but haven't noticed any real tension since that Bhabie girl was on & the other panelists/chair sitters made subtle digs at her that she obviously didn't pick up on.  I've always got the impression Spade is supportive of the newbie "tight 5" people. but could be wrong here.

So Spade came out and started his first monologue joke, and Annie started to say something, and Spade said something like, "uuhhh right away you have something to say?"  So she stops talking, and the other guest, who I can't remember who it was, says something and Spade laughed at it.  So Annie was like, "oh he can talk, but I can't?"  And Spade just kind of ignored that.  So he continues with the monologue and she sits there with a hurt, sad look on her face and doesn't say a thing or laugh the whole time.  I only notice this because I have been there - oversensitive about something, and once you are upset it is hard to just joke and forget it.

So, he notices she is upset and tries to tease her into laughing, and she does kind of come around but seems not herself most of the show.  At one point during break you see him talking to her and throwing his cards down which could mean he was like calm down, or jokingly throwing them.  Who knows.

I just don't think it is a good idea to get pissy with Spade, it's his show!  I actually don't like her very much so if she isn't on the show again that would be ok with me.

• Love 2
On 3/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, candall said:

I took The Jim Jeffries Show off my DVR, but seeing him now, I remember that he's lightning quick and brutally funny.

Yeah it is a shame they ended it last year. He started doing single topics similar to Last Week Tonight except he would travel to the place. Some good stuff.

Nice to see him on Lights Out.

That sucks. At least they are shopping it around. He seems to be killing it on youtube right now. If he wanted to he could run his own channel on there with those zoom style interviews and panels.

• Love 1

Why doesn’t Comedy Central give their newer shows enough time to gain an audience, instead of cancelling within a few months?   Do they really think their audiences are happy to be watching hours of “Southpark” and “The Office”?

• Love 4