Type keyword(s) to search

Lights Out with David Spade - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed it. A bit rough, but to be expected with a premiere episode. The bit with his driver doing stand up made me laugh out loud a couple of times.  I've been a fan of Spade's since Just Shoot Me! and I love his Instagram stories. Looking forward to seeing comedians I like and getting to know new ones.

• Love 6

I'll be watching. Spade seemed a bit nervous but that's to be expected. Scheduling 12 guests a week might be tough for a half hour show; two panelists should be sufficient and allow each time to shine, especially if there are also going to be regular sketches.

The audience for the stand-up looked quite befuddled!

This could be a good replacement for @midnight with comics riffing on current events.

• Love 3

Ugh, Jim Jeffries. Not for me.

I've enjoyed all the sketches so far and Spade's throwaway cell phone video jokes going into commercials. The sketch with Chris Harrison cracked me up, but I've put in my time with The Bachelor franchise and enjoy seeing it mocked.

• Love 1

I just don't...get this show. And I kind of want to. There are parts I sometimes like--like David Spade's stories and some of his videos before/after commercials can be humorous. But with the panel they never get into anything enough. I'm not expecting deep and meaningful, but I guess I wanted more than just some throw away lines. I had real high hopes with the Dana Carvey episode but it fell completely flat for me. And of course it seems like a lot of boobs! tits! ha ha! Yes, I guess I'm a prude, but who is this show aimed it? These types of things are all we can give the panel to work with? I've liked most everything that has aired in this 11:30 slot but I'm not sure this one is for me.

• Love 2

I'm surprised how much I don't like this show, because I like David Spade. But it doesn't seem like even he likes it. He's tired and listless and not really into it. His act always has been "the jaded observer" but you always felt like he had fun being the jaded observer, that he had the confidence that his jaded observations were funny. Now, he just doesn't seem to be having a good time. Sadly, it's probably his very smartness that allows him to see the show he's in isn't working. Hard to watch.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4

Spade's audio book of his autobiography is awesomely funny!  He reveals a lot of issues in his personal life and getting up there on comedy,  and seems appreciative of the help from other SNL alums and true friendship with with Chris Farley.

I've always liked his snarky jokes and movies.  

On this show, it looks like he trying to disguise his nerves with overly laid back attitude,  but I still like it and will give him time to settle in.  

Buh-bye.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Tosia said:

On this show, it looks like he trying to disguise his nerves with overly laid back attitude,  but I still like it and will give him time to settle in. 

You've persuaded me to wait a couple weeks and tune in again.

• Love 2
(edited)

I laughed the most at Kevin Nealon and Pete Holmes this week; it points up how important the panelists are. I know @midnight also had three guests but it seems like they had more of a chance to get some jokes in because of the rapid fire answers. I like the skits here and Spade's phone videos, but they take time away from the discussion.

I assume David is holding the Solo cup so he has something to do with his hands? It's a little odd that he needs that crutch after decades of stand-up.

Thanks for the audiobook recommendation, @Tosia. I got his first memoir from the library and started listening to that tonight. Fun to hear it in his voice.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

I’m someone else who wants this show to work but I’m also uncomfortable with how nervous he seems and because  of that he doesn’t seem to allow his guests to shine. Kevin Nealon and Pete Holmes were good but they really had to push to get their jokes in. He’s going to have a hard time getting guests if he won’t allow them to be showcased effectively.

• Love 2

It is probably pretty hard to do a daily show unless you are really committed to it. You have to spend a lot of time in the writer's room with the writers and your guests to make any of the jokes flow naturally.

• Love 2

I'm still hanging in and like the loosey goosey atmosphere. The prerecorded bits and Spade's cellphone videos usually get a chuckle out of me.

But what I really like is that none of the jokes or panel commentary have been about politics! Such a relief, truly.

• Love 4

The guests seem kind of redundant since there are 3 and they hardly get to say anything. More than half the show is Spade bits where the guests don't participate. Spade should either reduce the number of guests or give them more time.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Spade should either reduce the number of guests or give them more time.

It does seem like a size 9 foot shoved into a size 7 shoe.

Lose the monologue and reduce to two panelists to give them time to, if not shine, at least speak more than a few sentences.

I didn't imagine these words would ever come out of my mouth, but Rob Schneider was funny.

• LOL 1

I'm enjoying the all over the place format, it keeps it from getting boring. Last night's segment on Spade recording audio to GIFS made me cry with laughter, especially his High C. 

Not sure how long the season will be? I know there was a crack two weeks ago that it would go on indefinitely. I seem to remember Chelsea Lately ran with nightly new episodes for several years.

• Love 3

I see that this show is not on tonight - is that all week or just tonight. Why do we need hours and hours of “South Park”and yet any original programming gets lost after a few weeks. I won’t spend a lot of time searching for a show I’m not that invested in so I lose interest.

8 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I see that this show is not on tonight - is that all week or just tonight. Why do we need hours and hours of “South Park”and yet any original programming gets lost after a few weeks. I won’t spend a lot of time searching for a show I’m not that invested in so I lose interest.

Per David Spade's Instagram story, his "Precious Lights Out" is not filming this week because the Daily Show is dark. We should get new episodes soon!

• Love 2
On 8/27/2019 at 4:43 AM, AManfred said:

Per David Spade's Instagram story, his "Precious Lights Out" is not filming this week because the Daily Show is dark. We should get new episodes soon!

What does one show have to do with other?

5 hours ago, MsTree said:

It would be interesting to know if a precedent for this was established when The Colbert Report followed The Daily Show. 

If yes, it gives the stated reason some credibility.

If no, then the stated reason might just be a cover for Lights Out being given a time out.

It's very standard TV practice to do stuff like this, especially with a new show trying to establish an audience following an existing popular show. 

They look at the shows as a pair. 

I'll give you a completely different network and type of shows as an example I just witnessed. Over on HGTV, they gave Christina from the established show Flip or Flop her own show and promoted the heck out of it. As expected, it got pretty good ratings (despite the quality.) They then put a brand new show, Unspouse Your House on after it directly after that show. They only showed the second show on the weeks where the first show was on. And the ratings for the second show got better as it went along, as it kept more and more of the first show's audience. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

It would be interesting to know if a precedent for this was established when The Colbert Report followed The Daily Show. 

Yes, the did it with the Colbert Show, The Nightly Show, and The Opposition with Jordan Klepper. It is a common practice.

• Love 2

I have no idea who Bhabie is and refuse to look it up, but she was the classic example of someone who ruins a panel format by screeching over everyone.

Guy Branum, when she interrupted: "I was working up to my punchline, but you go ahead."

The awful Sklar Brothers are on later this week. Sigh. They already infected @midnight. (Apologies to those who enjoy them.)

• Love 1

Ok, i think David doesn't give a shit at this show. 

Jizz jokes?  Really?

Plus, his blase' demeanor is too dismissive of the announcer yellibf/interrupting a bit, criticizing jokes he just uttered, blaming the writers, and lack of energy is a drag. 

I love (d) David since SNL and his autobio was super funny and enlighteningly honest.  (Listen to it for his great snarky delivery.) 

But this show sucks.

Anthony Jeselnick looked cringey just being there.  

David, snap out of it! 

Or are you really too famous/rich to even try anymore to put some life  into your own show?  

Over it.  Dang. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the show with Jay, Norm McDonald and the woman who was on with them. I’m trying to put my finger on what I don’t like and I think it’s a combination of David’s “I’m better than my audience and guests” attitude and the lack of organization.The show is really sloppily produced.  I like David’s humor but I’m wondering if he’s not cutout to be a host. He doesn’t seem to like kissing butt and to a certain extent you have to. Once he runs out of friends and low level comedians, who will come on his show?  

• Love 1

I gave the show another try last night and it's a weird combination of sloppiness and over-produced-ness. The pre-recorded iPhone bits aren't funny and they smack of desperation. (They seem there because he's afraid he won't be able to fill the time by talking to his guests, and in an attempt to feel "current.") Moments that pretend to be off-the-cuff (like the remarks from the guy in the car, whoever that was) are painfully pre-scripted.

I understand that audiences like a format, but this one isn't working.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

I agree the show could be a LOT better, starting with guests NOT interrupting the monologue. It can be funny when it's a quick jab or eyeroll, but when you have Norm McDonald rambling incoherently...please No! 🙄

On 9/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I gave the show another try last night and it's a weird combination of sloppiness and over-produced-ness. The pre-recorded iPhone bits aren't funny and they smack of desperation. (They seem there because he's afraid he won't be able to fill the time by talking to his guests, and in an attempt to feel "current.") Moments that pretend to be off-the-cuff (like the remarks from the guy in the car, whoever that was) are painfully pre-scripted.

I understand that audiences like a format, but this one isn't working.

Agreed. I was horrified as I kept watching over the last few weeks and realized just how rehearsed this is (and *this* is what we get)? I get they need to have some control, but I actually think a little spontaneity could go a long way. I think the episode with Henry Winkler was one of the best* because he didn't stay within the confines they gave him.

*and by best I don't mean great, but I think there was a little more life in that episode than others.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:17 AM, 2727 said:

I have no idea who Bhabie is and refuse to look it up, but she was the classic example of someone who ruins a panel format by screeching over everyone.

Just glad to hear I wasn't the only one who had no idea who that was and why she was screeching the song of her dolphin people. UH UH! UH UH! UH UH! I'm all for people I've never heard of, but that was awful. She was...not good. But so many others are also not good. I don't know if they are stifled under the strict parameters of the show or just more uninteresting than I ever thought. And I actually at first liked the final 2 minutes where David just spoke about some story in his life (that I assume? was true, but at the very least it was generally amusing), but he's already given that up it seems.

As I wrote a few weeks ago, I do want to like this but they are making it so hard. Maybe have only 2 guests and maybe they don't have to always talk about whatever weird celebrity thing is happening. I couldn't care less about Lebron and Taco Tuesdays. And when you do discuss whatever weird celebrity thing is happening or photo you post, let it be a surprise to the guests or something. I get that it's not a talk show, but, damn, let your guests talk for a second before you move on to the next (dumb) topic!

(and seriously, enough about pussies, camel toe, titties, jizz, etc. It's just...tired. If that makes me a prude, fine. But is there anyone who is of an age to have watched David Spade when he was originally on SNL that finds that hilarious? If so, I'm sorry.)

• Love 5

Why am I not surprised to see a segment devoted to how woke PC millennials were out to get a comedian who used slurs only last year. 

If I thought David Spade actually gave a shit, I'd probably be more bothered, but he hasn't cared about anything ever, so I'm not that bothered. 

Bill Burr, who is for some reason treated as some kind of comedy god, is the one who annoyed me most, particularly since he seemed to be absolutely desperate for audience reaction and validation. 

Can't wait for him to have Shane Gillis go on tour with him and let his fans wash in all that brave, daring comedy material, rather than just posturing on a talk show to look bad-ass. 

• Love 2

So...I was rubbed wrong by the guy who shot Osama bin Laden joking about killing Osama bin Laden. I realize he wasn't the one coming up with the jokes, and I don't mean to say bin Laden was any sort of good guy--and I even understand gallows humor!--but I was a little surprised they went there. I don't feel like killing should be hilarious fodder for jokes, even if that person deserved to be killed. But maybe that's just me.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, Tosia said:

Spade's audio book of his autobiography is awesomely funny!  He reveals a lot of issues in his personal life and getting up there on comedy,  and seems appreciative of the help from other SNL alums and true friendship with with Chris Farley.

I've always liked his snarky jokes and movies.  

Buh-bye.

The Almost Interesting or Polaroid Guy? Thanks 

This show is perfect for the DVR. Every so often, Spade or one of the guests throws out a random line that makes me LOL for several minutes, but most of the bits are awful, and the panel discussion can get meandering, so it's good to have the FF button available. But it's worth recording and skimming the episodes for that unexpected hilarious moment.

And BTW show writers, 'whiskey pod in my puss' is much funnier than 'dick in my hand'. 

• Love 3

I pretty consistently get a chuckle or two every episode. I also like David's cell phone footage jokes going into commercials, and his rehearsal outtakes. I don't ask for much.

At least David ditched his Solo cups during the monologue and the set department made the guest chairs swivel.

My only minor gripe is panelists who talk over others and try to monopolize the conversation.

Each time I see that something new has been added to this thread, I half-expect it to be about the show's cancellation. But maybe it's doing OK. Does anyone know how the ratings compare to other CC shows that have been in that time slot since The Colbert Report?

This reads like the site has copy/pasted a press release, but this was after the first week of the show:

"Overall, LIGHTS OUT WITH DAVID SPADE generated massive ratings growth for Comedy Central compared to the same time slot last year and compared to the previous four weeks."

• P18-49: .27 rating, up +49% from the previous four weeks, up +84% from a year ago
  • M18-49: .33 rating, up+ 39% from the previous four weeks, up +72% from a year ago
  • W18-49: .21 rating, up +69% from the previous four weeks, up +107% from a year ago
  • P25-54: .32 rating, up +76% from the previous four weeks, up +107% from a year ago
  • M25-54: .38 rating, up +66% from the previous four weeks, up +102% from a year ago
  • W25-54: .25 rating, up +95% from the previous four weeks, up +115% from a year ago

Bella was legitimately bad/drunk/high, but the bookers also need to be mindful not to load the panel with three loudmouths at a time. Monday's show was an example, but at least I learned I need to now avoid anything featuring Adam Ray.

This applied to @midnight as well, but a few panelists still insist on playing to the studio audience rather than the cameras. Stop turning your faces away, numbnuts!

I generally don't mind the sloppy casual vibe the show has going on, but Spade's polyester mesh trucker hat on air was a step too far for me. He still has plenty of hair so there's no excuse.

• Love 1

I LOVE David Spade and I love this show.  I especially like that it’s 30 minutes, and that the format is different than Tonight Show, Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert. His guests are comedians, no musical acts or movies/tv shows promoted. 

• Love 3

I like the show and have found that if he has one or two funny people on it is better than if all four of them are going for huge laughs. I liked Vanessa Bayer because she quietly stole the how.  I am not familiar with Diplo but I’m hoping he’s a musician and not a comic because he lacked a lot of humor.

• Love 2

Bella Thorne appeared to be comatose but also wouldn't shut up, which is a weird combination. She had to weigh in on every topic, but was incoherent while doing so. Diplo wasn't annoying, he just wasn't funny. 

Also not funny, that pot-bellied stagehand who's always in his underwear. I can't remember his name, because I always hit the FF button whenever he shows up. I did very much enjoy, however, the appearance this week of Tim Dillon, the shouty PR guy. He was hilarious! Hope to see him again. 

• Love 2

I enjoy this show. Spade is silly and funny and I generally get a kick out of it. Does anyone know what kind of device he throws to the audience before the monologue?  It is like a GoPro but a different shape. It has been driving me nuts. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, SuzWhat said:

Does anyone know what kind of device he throws to the audience before the monologue?

I've been wondering that, too. Someone has to go and clue us in! 

I think I'd almost like to sit in on a rehearsal instead of the show.

Jeff Jeffries, ugh.

• Love 2