Type keyword(s) to search

Jack Ryan In The Media: The Sum of All Fears

• Start Topic

Last season folks were saying that the Amazon X-ray feature identified John Hoogenakker as Mr. Clark (Snake) the ex SEAL from the books and not Matice as he is listed. While I never went back for a rewatch on season 2 he is now Matice on the Amazon X-ray 

Edited by Raja

Apparently, the series has been renewed for a fourth season, per Variety and THR.  The THR article mentions that Michael Peña is "set to appear in multiple episodes" of season four.

The THR article also summarizes the showrunner musical chairs:

Jack Ryan finished its third season under showrunner Vaun Wilmott. He took over from Paul Scheuring (Prison Break) when the latter stepped aside after a couple of months. Co-creator Carlton Cuse served as showrunner for the first two seasons but stepped down after production on season two, and David Scarpa (All the Money in the World) briefly took the reins before giving way to Scheuring and then Wilmott.

Some significant casting news, via DeadlineAbbie Cornish To Return As Cathy Mueller In Season 4.  As of yet, there are no plot details concerning Cathy, who was "Chuck Cunningham"ed in the second season.

The article also has a summary of the upcoming third season:

Season 3 finds Jack Ryan (Krasinski) on the run and in a race against time. Jack is wrongly implicated in a larger conspiracy and suddenly finds himself a fugitive out in the cold. Now, wanted by both the CIA and an international rogue faction that he has uncovered, Jack is forced underground, crisscrossing Europe, trying to stay alive and prevent a massive global conflict.

Interesting. With the last season it was obvious what they were adapting but with this one, it's getting into some of the later Clancy novels and seems to be a new plot altogether. Having said that, terrorists and drug dealers working together was in "Against All Enemies" which isn't actually even set in the Jack Ryan universe. It is labeled on Amazon as The Campus book one and there is a cameo in the end from a campus character but it also references things that cannot have happened in the Jack Ryan universe. The one specific reference I remember was

Spoiler

something to do with George W. Bush. There is no place where Bush could fit into the Ryan universe's weird perpetual Jack Ryan presidency. Seriously, Jack Ryan has been president in the books since 1993. There are a few brief breaks in his presidency but yeah, he's been President for 30 years and the authors (Clancy died in 2013 but at least 21 Tom Clancy books have been published since with more coming every six months or so) get around this by simply not mentioning it even though they do mention that most of the original characters are now grandparents.

I freeze-framed that bio of Ding Chavez and it says he was in BUDS (their spelling, it should be BUD/S). No, he was not. He was in the US Army (7th Light Infantry Division, "We Own the Night"). His best friend/father in law is a Navy SEAL but he most definitely is not. He is no less badass for this though. I have no idea why the show would change his background other than to make him into this show's John Clark (which I think they are hinting at with his torture of bad guys) or because production-wise the Navy is easier to work with?

The bio also lists CIA - RAINBOW which tells me they didn't read the friggin' book. Rainbow was an international anti-terrorist squad. It was not a part of the CIA or even the US government per se. I know Rainbow is charitably described as "not Clancy's best work" but the organizational structure was something the man had no problems writing about in excruciating detail.

I thought I saw one second of Cathy in there, it will be good to have her back.

Other than that, we'll see how this goes. I wasn't expecting a season 4 so soon after season 3 and I hope this show ends on a high note. I don't want them to end with Debt of Honor's ending which I will spoiler code for those who have not read it yet:

Spoiler

Debt of Honor ends with the entire US government wiped out (by a jet crashing into the Capitol no less) and Jack Ryan, the new Vice President, being the only survivor.

If we're not coming back for more, let's have this end with him getting married to Cathy and buying a house out in Chesapeake Bay. I'd be okay with that.

(edited)
5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I freeze-framed that bio of Ding Chavez and it says he was in BUDS (their spelling, it should be BUD/S). No, he was not. He was in the US Army (7th Light Infantry Division, "We Own the Night"). His best friend/father in law is a Navy SEAL but he most definitely is not. He is no less badass for this though. I have no idea why the show would change his background other than to make him into this show's John Clark (which I think they are hinting at with his torture of bad guys) or because production-wise the Navy is easier to work with?

The US Navy being easier to work with for support is an interesting theory. It reminds me of Clint Eastwood back in the day changing US Army Rangers into Marines to make Heartbreak Ridge.  But I think it is more audience expectations. I have often mocked the presence of the ex Ranger SEAL in every American TV police detective squad. How so few, a fraction of the number of the previous favorite Few and  Proud Marines, can be everywhere is simply amazing.

While in an earlier Jack Ryan season "Uber" was recruited when the Clark stand in Matice didn't care that he dropped out of BUDS as he couldn't sit in the cold surf. edit to add And he did mess up in his mission being out of place and Jack had to work around him

I would say for a few generations, since Magnum PI and Charlie Sheen, "SEAL" has been encoded as the best warriors of the US. A similar kind of cultural title US Marines held from WWI until the special operators took the cultural championship  belt after the 1980s. While Tom Clancy made it a point to honor all soldiers and cops, to the point of making sure Ding wasn't even in the 75th Ranger Regiment when he was selected for the Clear and Present Danger mission in the cultural shorthand that makes him "tier 3", not one of the best (SEALs) to the casual viewer.

Edited by Raja
Remembering Uber's contribution

Season 4 finds Jack Ryan on his most dangerous mission yet: facing an enemy both foreign and domestic. As the new CIA Acting Deputy Director, Jack Ryan is tasked with unearthing internal corruption, and in doing so, uncovers a series of suspicious black ops that could expose the vulnerability of the country. As Jack and the team investigate how deep the corruption runs, he discovers a far-worse reality—the convergence of a drug cartel with a terrorist organization—ultimately revealing a conspiracy much closer to home and testing our hero’s belief in the system he has always fought to protect.

JKRY_S4_UT_402_220110_SZVATT_00053R_Crop