Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Sam and Bucky In the News!

• Start Topic

(edited)
18 hours ago, Avabelle said:

What are these awards? Are they televised?

The Hollywood Critics Association (HCA) (formerly known as the Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society) is another critics association that decided to launch its own awards this year - because we don't have enough awards being given out in the entertainment industry (sarcasm).

The first HCA TV Awards ceremony will be held at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles on August 22, 2021.

I don't know if this ceremony will be televised or not. I suspect that it will be - because what's the point of giving out awards to stars if you can't get some promotion out of it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2021 at 7:37 AM, tv echo said:

The Hollywood Critics Association (HCA) (formerly known as the Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society) is another critics association that decided to launch its own awards this year - because we don't have enough awards being given out in the entertainment industry (sarcasm).

The first HCA TV Awards ceremony will be held at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles on August 22, 2021.

I don't know if this ceremony will be televised or not. I suspect that it will be - because what's the point of giving out awards to stars if you can't get some promotion out of it.

I'm confused as to why this show qualifies as "Streaming Series" but WandaVision is a "Limited Series" when they haven't definitely said there will be a Season 2 or not.

The categories for these awards are so weird.... they separate Streaming vs. Broadcast/Cable, not sure why, other than to create more awards.

Primetime Emmy nominations came out and nothing for this show apart from Guest Actor for Don Cheadle.

• Love 1

The show has nominations in the creative end: F/X, Stunt Coordination, Stunt Performance, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, but yes, performance only went to Don Cheadle. What's amazing is that Cheadle didn't get a nomination for his series "Black Monday".  

• Love 1
(edited)

More info about TFATWS' one Emmy nom in the major categories...
https://ew.com/awards/emmys/emmys-2021-nominations-list/

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Courtney B. Vance, Lovecraft Country
Charles Dance, The Crown
Don Cheadle, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Timothy Olyphant, The Mandalorian
Carl Weathers, The Mandalorian

Here are the other categories in which TFATWS got Emmy noms (full list):

• Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Season Or A Movie
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination
  • Outstanding Stunt Performance

The Emmys ceremony will be broadcast on TV on Sunday, September 19, 2021, at 8 pm ET (on CBS). (source)

Don Cheadle's tweet about his Emmy nom...

Anthony Mackie Fans Are Livid Over The Falcon And The Winter Solider Actor's Emmys Snub
MICK JOEST   JUL. 13. 2021 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2570349/anthony-mackie-fans-are-livid-over-the-falcon-and-the-winter-solider-actors-emmys-snub 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
(edited)

In this recent D23 podcast interview, Kevin Feige was asked about Emily VanCamp's Power Broker (no surprise, he was mum about her future)...

D23 Inside Disney Episode 96 | Kevin Feige on Black Widow
JULY 15, 2021
https://d23.com/podcast/d23-inside-disney-episode-96/

-- When asked how Emily VanCamp's character will fit into the future of the MCU, Kevin Feige: "Well, the Power Broker has been revealed - and what was fun about that, again, Emily's a spectacular actor and we hadn't seen her in a long time. She got the short end of the stick when it came to the events of Civil War and was sort of left out in the cold. And it's interesting what she did with that. How she evolves and where she goes, obviously, remains to be seen. But the response to Madripoor and to her as the Power Broker was great."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 7/14/2021 at 8:12 AM, tv echo said:

Anthony Mackie Fans Are Livid Over The Falcon And The Winter Solider Actor's Emmys Snub
MICK JOEST   JUL. 13. 2021 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2570349/anthony-mackie-fans-are-livid-over-the-falcon-and-the-winter-solider-actors-emmys-snub 

I'm still trying to understand why "WandaVision" was submitted as a Limited Series, but going by the nomination of Don Cheadle, it looks like "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" was submitted as an ongoing Drama series?  Is this a confirmation that we might get a Season 2?  I know they renewed "Loki" but so far no news about "TFATWS", or whatever they might change the name to.

I know the show producers had always intended "WandaVision" to be a one and done but not sure about "TFATWS".  I wonder if this show had been submitted as a Limited Series if Anthony Mackie or Sebastian Stan would have been able to get a nomination as Lead Actor.  Both were so much better than Paul Bettany, who I found was merely serviceable, and nothing special.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:24 AM, tv echo said:

In this recent D23 podcast interview, Kevin Feige was asked about Emily VanCamp's Power Broker (no surprise, he was mum about her future)...

D23 Inside Disney Episode 96 | Kevin Feige on Black Widow
JULY 15, 2021
https://d23.com/podcast/d23-inside-disney-episode-96/

-- When asked how Emily VanCamp's character will fit into the future of the MCU, Kevin Feige: "Well, the Power Broker has been revealed - and what was fun about that, again, Emily's a spectacular actor and we hadn't seen her in a long time. She got the short end of the stick when it came to the events of Civil War and was sort of left out in the cold. And it's interesting what she did with that. How she evolves and where she goes, obviously, remains to be seen. But the response to Madripoor and to her as the Power Broker was great."

In what universe is he talking about that the response to that lazy ass writing was great?!

• Love 1

Nominees include The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Anthony Mackie...

2021 People's Choice Awards: Complete List of Nominees
By ALLISON CRIST      OCT 27, 2021 
https://www.eonline.com/news/1305316/2021-peoples-choice-awards-complete-list-of-nominees 

Take a look at the full list of 2021 People's Choice Awards nominees below and vote now on the official PCAs site.

The People's Choice Awards airs live on E! and NBC on Tuesday, Dec. 7 at 9 p.m.

Edited by tv echo

2021 in Review: The Stealthiest Castings and Very Coolest Cameos
By Team TVLine / December 8 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-cameos-2021-top-secret-casting-news/ 

JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS, THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER
We knew someone big would arrive in the Disney+ series’ fifth episode, after creator Malcolm Spellman teased the addition of a well-known actor to the MCU. But even though an exciting cameo had been confirmed, it didn’t ruin the surprise or delight of seeing the eight-time Emmy-winning actress step into frame as Valentina Allegra de Fontaine — a character that was meant to debut in the Black Widow film, but ultimately popped up first on the small screen due to pandemic-related scheduling changes.

• Love 1

The 31 most shocking TV moments of 2021
By EW Staff   December 16, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/most-shocking-tv-moments-of-2021/

Julia Louis-Dreyfus joins the MCU, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Marvel loves a surprise cameo, but it was still a shock to see Selina Meyer herself pop up in the MCU. The comedy legend made her unexpected debut in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, immediately making mischief (and sporting a pretty suave purple-blue streak in her hair) as Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine. Louis-Dreyfus later showed up again in the end-credits scene for Black Widow, so it's probably a safe bet that Marvel fans haven't seen the last of the contessa. —D.C.

Edited by tv echo

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan on How 'The Falcon and The Winter Soldier' Series Explores Sam and Bucky Further
BY CHRISTINE DINH   December 21, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/anthony-mackie-sebastian-stan-falcon-winter-soldier-collectors-special 

Titan Comics, in partnership with Marvel, is releasing a deluxe hardcover, Marvel's The Falcon and The Winter Soldier Collector's Special, which is now available everywhere books are sold. Grab a copy from your preferred retailer!
What was your reaction when you heard that your characters were going to star in their own series?
Anthony Mackie:
When we were told that there was going to be a series, I didn’t know what to expect. As it came together and as I started reading the scripts, I was very happy with the characters and the storylines. I feel like the writers gave me the best vehicle they could, to do the best work I could.

Sebastian Stan: I was really excited that we were going to explore these characters in ways that we haven’t seen before. I think the tricky part was finding the organic way to take them into a different direction in a way that showed growth while continuing to honor the history.

I genuinely love working with Anthony. There are definitely days where I feel like he’s going to kill me – not physically! – with his presence. I feel like we have a very good dynamic and a good rapport. The idea of getting to expand on the scene we had in the car in Marvel Studios’ Captain America: Civil War was really exciting.
How does Sam and Bucky’s relationship evolve in this series?
Sebastian Stan:
There was a tonal shift as we developed the humor between Sam and Bucky.

Trying to bring that natural dynamic between Anthony and I to the characters was the real trick to the whole thing, which I feel we did pretty well. What was challenging for me was the balance between re-introducing the characters in a new way and yet making you aware of where they come from. I’m always thinking, What if a fan sits down and watches Marvel Studios’ Captain America: The First Avenger, The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Marvel’s The Avengers, and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, one after the other? Are they going to be able to see that same character throughout and then see that character evolve in new ways but still be the same character? So, we just continued that as best as we could.
Was it important to you to explore the characters’ personal lives?
Anthony Mackie:
It was. I feel that origin movies are the hardest movies to do correctly, but what we’ve been able to do with Sam and Bucky is show you why they are who they are and why they believe in what they believe in. Adepero Oduye came in and gave an amazing performance
as my sister, Sarah Wilson, and gave that character a backbone that defined the entire history of who Sam Wilson really is from Marvel Studios’ Captain America: The Winter Soldier until now.

Sebastian Stan: It was exciting to find out how Bucky functions in the world: What’s his life like in Brooklyn? How is he meeting people? How is he interacting at coffee shops? Is he dating? Is he thinking about another career? Is he in therapy? There were all these questions I had about this character. There were a lot of fun things that came out of exploring these ideas, which were very exciting to delve into. There’s always going to be a darker side of this character, which I always loved and which is what made him more interesting and complex. I feel like that doesn’t go away – it’s still there in a way, he’s just learning how to deal with it a little bit more.

fws_book_cover.jpg

TV's Best, Worst and Most of 2021 (Part 1)
Team TVLine    December 21, 2021
https://tvline.com/gallery/2021-tv-shows-best-worst-moments-photos/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-34/ 

Lamest Cameo
Don Cheadle, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Edited by tv echo

TV's Best, Worst and Most of 2021 (Part 2)
Team TVLine   December 22, 2021
https://tvline.com/gallery/2021-best-worst-tv-moments-photos/falcon-winter-soldier-bucky-sarah/

Best Couple (In Our Dreams, Anyway)
Bucky and Sarah, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Would you say the Flag Smashers are misunderstood?
Erin Kellyman:
Yes, definitely. What everybody sees of the Flag Smashers is just that they’re causing problems, killing people, and starting fights, but they’re trying to [create] change for good, you know? When it comes down to it, all they want is to help people.

Hawkeye vs. Falcon/Winter Soldier vs. Loki vs. WandaVision: What Is Disney+'s Best MCU Series So Far? Rank 'Em!
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 24 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/24/best-marvel-tv-series-hawkeye-wandavision-loki-falcon-winter-soldier/ 

Refresh your memories of each, vote in the poll down below for your favorite, and then hit the Comments to detail your personal ranking of those you have seen (including the animated What If…? series if you so desire.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Sebastian Stan Loved Bucky's Falcon & Winter Soldier Season 1 Story
BY RACHEL LABONTE    JANUARY 5, 2022
https://screenrant.com/falcon-winter-soldier-bucky-story-sebastian-stan-response/

Screen Rant recently got the chance to catch up with Stan ahead of his new movie The 355. In between discussing that spy flick, we raised the question of Bucky's future. Specifically, Stan was asked where he would like to see Bucky's story go next. Stan admitted he doesn't have much of an idea about that, but he does appreciate Bucky's Falcon and the Winter Soldier arc. He said:

I agree. I mean, we did and I'm not the one to be able to tell you what the next best thing for him is. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I feel that it was nice to get him to a good place, and having kind of, sort of come back around to accepting himself and his past, and find his own place in the world now, and his own sense of family and values. So, we'll see what's gonna top that off. I don't know.

Marvel Star Sebastian Stan Still Doesn't Know When Bucky Is Coming Back
By SPENCER PERRY - January 5, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-star-sebastian-stan-still-doesnt-know-when-bucky-is-coming-back/ 

Speaking in an interview with ComicBook.com about the upcoming movie The 355, we asked Stan if he knows when he'll next be appearing in the MCU, and sadly the answer was a big shrug emoji. "I don't, I really don't. I haven't known that for ten plus years, I always am very happy when I get to live another day, hopefully before I get too old. We'll see, anything is possible." The Winter Soldier previously took to Instagram to post the news of Mackie starring in a Captain America 4, adding the two word caption: "Hell. Yes."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Sebastian Stan on ‘The 355,’ His Next Appearance in the MCU, and Why He’ll Always Love the Three-Way Fight in ‘Civil War’
BY STEVE WEINTRAUB  PUBLISHED 3 DAYS 
https://collider.com/sebastian-stan-the-355-marvel-mcu-captain-america-civil-war-interview/ 

For fans of Marvel, when is the next time Bucky will be making an appearance in the MCU?
STAN: I don't know. Per usual, I can't answer that question. I have no clue, but look, I think it's sort of about seeing what's next for him, right? To some extent, the show, I felt, really graduated him to another level of experience and taking on his past a lot better and gave him another sense of place and sense of family that he's found there with Sam. So he's in a pretty good spot right now. I'd be curious to see what the next interesting thing that we could tell with him would be, and as you well know, that is above my pay grade. There are far wiser men and women who are making those decisions.
I've heard there's a lot of cameos in the Dr. Strange sequel. I was wondering if you were one of them, but we can move on.
STAN: I am not in Dr. Strange 2. I promise.
Dude, it's so good. Listen, I got a wrap, but just real quick, what are you getting ready to film? What's coming out?
STAN: There's nothing really right now that I can talk about. I was very lucky to work on some very interesting projects this past year. One of them I'm really excited about is that I'm going to Sundance for. Looks like Sundance is still going to be happening or hopefully. I can hold back for a second and recharge, because these things believe it or... as you, I'm sure you suspect the older you get, it's like... especially the action. It takes a lot longer to come back from it. So let's see.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

In this video clip from AM's Jan. 9th panel at Fan Expo New Orleans, AM described Malcolm Spellman as "everybody's old, angry uncle."  AM also said that Sam's final speech in TFATWS was "a page-and-a-half mile long" in the script, which he thought was too long. He told Malcolm that nobody was going to want to listen to him talk for a page and a half. So they "went through it, got the bullet points, and made the adjustments."

Anthony Mackie part 2
Joe Brooklyn   Jan 10, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

TFATWS got 1 SAG Awards nomination...

SAG Awards 2022: See the full list of nominees
By Lisa Respers France    January 12, 2022
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/entertainment/sag-award-nominations-2022/index.html

The ceremony will be simulcast live on TNT and TBS from The Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, California on at 8 p.m. EST / 5 p.m. PST on February 27.
Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series
"Cobra Kai"
"The Falcon and the Winter Soldier"
"Loki"
"Mare of Easttown"
"Squid Game"

• Love 1

TFATWS got1 NAACP Image Awards nomination...

NAACP Image Award Nominations: Insecure, black-ish, Queen Sugar and Genius: Aretha Lead the TV Pack
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 18 2022,
https://tvline.com/2022/01/18/naacp-image-awards-insecure-blackish-queen-sugar-tv-nominations-2022/ 

The NAACP Image Awards — which celebrate the accomplishments of people of color in the fields of television, music, literature and film — this year will air live on BET on Saturday, Feb. 26 at 8/7c, and be hosted by black-ish‘s Anthony Anderson.

• Useful 1

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier got 1 Critics Choice Super Awards nomination....

Nominations Announced for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards
February 22, 2022 
http://criticschoice.com/2022/02/nominations-announced-for-the-2nd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards/ 

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2022) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed on Thursday, March 17.
TELEVISION NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2ND ANNUAL CRITICS CHOICE SUPER AWARDS
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPERHERO SERIES*
Paul Bettany – WandaVision
Tom Ellis – Lucifer
Brendan Fraser – Doom Patrol
Tom Hiddleston – Loki
Tyler Hoechlin – Superman & Lois
Anthony Mackie – The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Two Falcon and the Winter Soldier Scenes Censored For Violence On Disney Plus 

https://www.ign.com/articles/falcon-and-winter-soldier-censored-scenes

Disney has censored two scenes in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, removing blood and generally sanitizing the otherwise violent show on Disney Plus.

As first reported by The Direct, and independently verified by IGN, both scenes take place in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier's third episode. The first features Hydra scientist Wilfred Nagel, who is shot in the head by Baron Zemo and shown lying on the ground with blood covering his face. The updated version removes the blood.

The second shot takes place in the same episode. In the original version, Bucky throws a pipe through an enemy soldier's shoulder, while in the updated shot the pipe bounces off the soldier and injures them.

Falcon and Winter Soldier Actor Reacts to Censored Episode
By RIchard Nebens    March 31, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/falcon-and-winter-soldier-actor-censored-episode-reacts

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier star Olli Haaskivi, who played Dr. Nagel, commented on the change to his scene in Episode 3 of the Disney+ show.
"Glad to know that these gorgeous photos of me have had a lot of traction on the internet today..."

"(yes I AM available for modeling gigs, don't all DM me at once PLEASE)"

falcon-censor-1.jpg 

UPDATE (really?):

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Where Was Bridgerton Wedding? Was Idol Flashback a Letdown? Is Servant Character Paralyzed? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby, Keisha Hatchett and Charlie Mason / April 1 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/04/01/bridgerton-season-2-anthony-kate-wedding-tv-questions-answers/ 

19 | Is anyone buying Disney+’s “accidental” The Falcon and the Winter Soldier upload story? Supposing that some staffer at a keyboard was just “fixing a credit,” once done, what, does the dropdown menu offer the options “Save for Release to Select Countries” or “Upload to Disney+ ASAP”?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Noah Mills played Nico, one of the Flag Smashers...

Noah Mills Talks NCIS: Hawaii And The Falcon And The Winter Soldier - Exclusive Interview
BY KATY KROLL    APRIL 18, 2022
https://www.looper.com/835324/noah-mills-talks-ncis-hawaii-and-the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-exclusive-interview/ 

You appeared on "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier." What was that experience like?
That experience was great. I was in a lull workwise. I had done two series for NBC that unfortunately didn't get out of that freshman season, police-driven shows. When I got the job with the Marvel, I was like, "Oh my gosh, I'm stepping into the Marvel universe!" It might not be a huge part or anything, but I was like, "I am going into it." I actually felt that, arriving in Atlanta and going to their studios where they do everything. They have this thing where you stand in the middle of 300 cameras, and they create you digitally so they have your character. I was like, "Wow, this is cool." 

There's very much a fictional universe there that's different than anything I've worked on. The fittings for the masks and everything is very put together. The stunts are always a big deal in films, but there, it really is [important]. They're very mapped out with how they're going to make you appear superhuman.

We shot in Prague, which was amazing. Working with Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie in Prague, running around the streets? I was working with Captain America, getting chased by him, [and] if you've seen the show, getting killed in a square in Prague at 8:00 in the morning with the Captain America shield coming down on my head. There were people around taking photos, and they were pushing them away. I was like, "Wow, that's the bigness of the Marvel universe." You're definitely aware you're in something much bigger than you as an actor. It was fun.

We had a really nice group of people that were the Flag-Smashers. You get close to the cast members that you're working with a lot, and it was really fun to work on something that huge. I was like, "Ahhh, I hope I'm not burning my Marvel card." I might be, you know what I mean? Am I out for playing the Wolverine later on or something?
That's a question I had for you. Since you're now part of the MCU, you never know when they're going to tap you again. Have you daydreamed about taking on a larger role?
Of course. I was a Marvel Comics reader as a kid. You never know, right? There's so many possibilities. Maybe they open up the Flag-Smasher story further, or maybe enough time passes where you can drift away and reappear as a different character. I would love to get into some things that are ethereal and otherworldly. That type of creativity and that type of imagination is amazing. I'm still watching "Dune." I've watched it like four times. It's next level, the story and the set design and the fight choreography and the music and the characters. I love it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Marvel Celebrates Emily VanCamp’s Power Broker With New MCU Figure
By Jennifer McDonough     May 19, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-emily-vancamp-power-broker-mcu-figure

During an Instagram Live, Hasbro revealed several new offerings in their popular Marvel Legends line of six-inch-scale figures. Among those reveals was Sharon Carter as she appeared in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Pre-order the new Sharon Carter Hasbro Legends figure here.

39453372-EA71-4FA4-A36A-CB57AF2E9232.jpg 

• Useful 1
(edited)

While promoting a new FX limited series, Wyatt Russell also commented on his MCU experience...

Wyatt Russell on Getting Into the Mindset of a “Sociopath” in ‘Under the Banner of Heaven’
BY CHRISTY PIÑA   JUNE 3, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/wyatt-russell-under-the-banner-of-heaven-1235158140/ 

You and co-star Andrew Garfield have the MCU in common. Would you ever want to see a U.S. agent-Spider-Man crossover?

Sure. I’ll let you pitch that to Kevin Feige. If you come to Marvel, you can go pitch that to Kevin Feige and see if he likes it. I’ll do a crossover with anyone they tell me to do a crossover with.

I really enjoy playing the character and my experience working with Marvel was an unbelievable working experience and collaborative, working with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan and Kari Skogland. The teams they have there are unbelievable, it’s why they make great things. So, anytime I get the opportunity or hear about the chance to reprise a character or work for Marvel again, it’s very exciting because the people are wonderful. So, hopefully, I’ll get to do it again. We’ll see.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Wyatt Russell Talks 'Under the Banner of Heaven,' 'The Falcon and The Winter Soldier,' and His Love of Filmmaking
BY CHRISTINA RADISH    JULY 10, 2022
https://collider.com/wyatt-russell-under-the-banner-of-heaven-falcon-winter-soldier-interview/ 

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is so big and so wide-reaching now that it seems like, if you’re a working actor, you’ll be considered for a role in it, at some point. How do you feel about the role that you ended up doing, and what has that whole experience been like?
RUSSELL: I feel like every actor says this, but at first, I was very hesitant. If you were a fan of Lodge 49, you weren’t going, “This guy’s gonna play Captain America.” I had that same reaction. I was like, “Are you sure you guys want me to play Captain America?” You don’t know what you’re auditioning for, so I was like, “Okay, I’ll go in and audition and see what it is if I get it.” And then, I got it and I was like, “Okay, cool. Who am I playing?” I had a meeting with Kari Skogland and Zoie Nagelhout at Marvel, and they showed me a picture of Captain America. At first, I was like, “Oh, my God.” Captain America is a very difficult character to play because his moral compass is always pointing north.

It’s a difficult character to pull off. And when you have somebody who was so good at it, just do it, who’s so beloved, you’re going, “I don’t wanna play that guy. That’s impossible shoes to fill. No. No way. I’m just not your guy.” And then, they were like, “No, no, no, it’s this other character.” He turns into this anti-Captain America and bizarro world Captain America. As we started talking about it, I was like, “Okay, I can have some ownership over this character because I can make it what I want, in certain ways.” They gave me the leeway to really do that and put a stamp on it. The working experience was so great because they really listened and they took into account the ideas that you had. Hopefully, I was presenting concise and clear ideas, so that I wasn’t being confusing. I ran with the character and was really happy with the way it turned out. They gave the character some pathos and it was an interesting character in the MCU that hadn’t been done before. It’s always great to do somebody that hasn’t been done before because you get to really put a stamp on it. I had an amazing time. They’re amazing to work with.

What was the most unexpected aspect of doing a Marvel project? Had you heard stories from anyone that you know, that had already worked in the MCU, and did the actual reality of it compare, in any way?
RUSSELL: I knew a couple of people who had done it. The person that I called and that I really listened to the most was James Gunn. We became friendly because he produced a movie that my wife (Meredith Hagner) was in, called Brightburn. James is just a great filmmaker, and I’ve always deferred to great filmmakers. They’re the ones who are making the movies and they’re the ones who have their hands on all the buttons, so they have contact in every area and experience in every area. I really did lean on his opinion of what the character was. I didn’t know much about the character when I got it, and he just gave great advice. He said, “Look, they’re great to work with. They make sure that it’s good.” Coming from him, that vote of confidence really did make me feel like, “Okay, we can make this good. I can make this character fun. I can make him interesting. I can make people enjoy hating to watch or enjoy watching this character because he’ll have many different things going on. And they’re allowing me to do that. They want the conflict.” That was really the person I leaned the most on.

And my dad (Kurt Russell) had done the movie with him (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2). My dad’s a veteran actor of many years, so he’s seen it all. It was just another interesting experience in a big movie, but he also said, “They’re really good. Kevin Feige is a master at knowing what works, knowing how to fix something, and knowing what something needs.” When you’re in good hands like that, you feel very taken care of, and that’s a really good place to be if you’re an actor. If you get the opportunity to work in the MCU, you feel pretty lucky.

It also feels like it’s not done and that we’ll see that character again, at some point. Is it an unspoken thing that, at some point, you’ll come back? Have you actually heard anything about the future of the character? Do they keep you in a secret Marvel training camp?
RUSSELL: No, you never know. They do a really good job of keeping it secret. It’s part of the allure. You always hope that you can come back and you hope that you’ll get the phone call. If I pick up the phone and it’s Marvel on the other end of the line, you’re like, “All right, cool. Let’s go to work.” As for the Marvel secret training camp, that was two and a half years ago, or almost three years ago no, that we like actually shot [The Falcon and the Winter Soldier]. All of the training and everything that I’d done, if I do get the phone call, it’ll take a lot of runway to get back in shape like that. I’ve lost every ounce of muscle and physique that I had, but that’s the fun part. Honestly, that was a big part of taking the role, as well.

I’m an actor who makes my living playing different people. Part of my fear in doing Marvel was that I don’t wanna be one thing. That hasn’t worked for my career. I’ve always played different people with different looks. But they really embraced the fact that he’s different. I don’t have to stay on the diet of 14 chickens a day and seven eggs, every nine seconds, and waking up at five and going to work out for seven hours. I don’t have to keep up with that, thank God. That’s just too much. I can only go in spurts. I’m gonna be 36 years old and I’ve had an entire professional sports career, so I don’t know how much longer I have, doing action films. Everything had broken down before I started acting.
Would you like to see that character lean more into his villainy? Is that something you’re hoping for if you get to come back to him?
RUSSELL: I haven’t really even thought about, if the character comes back, what I hope he becomes. There are so many different ways that you can go with it. I just hope that whatever it is, is continued along this line of this struggle with self. That is something that I can do, as well as I think it needs to be done. As long as he has that conflict within himself, he can have a change of mind and he can go through therapy. There are lots of different ways you can go. I only ever hope that it goes an interesting way, but a certain way, that’s not up to me.

• Love 2

Marvel TV Shows, Ranked: WandaVision, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Loki and Other MCU Fare
By Team TVLine / October 25 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-marvel-tv-shows-ranked-worst/ 

7  THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER
March 19 – April 23, 2021 | 6 episodes

THE HIGHS: Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and Daniel Brühl. Baron Zemo dancing. Isaiah Bradley’s tragic backstory. Flirty Bucky. Surprise, Julia Louis-Dreyfus joins the MCU!

THE LOWS: Sharon Carter is the what broker? Sam’s bulky new Cap suit. Blah Big Bad. That finale, oof.

TVLine reader polls: Season ranked #4 (out of 7), Finale #3

• Love 1

Every Marvel Cinematic Universe TV show, ranked
By Samantha Nelson, Tasha Robinson, and Zosha Millman  Updated Nov 25, 2022
https://www.polygon.com/tv/22561233/mcu-tv-shows-ranked-marvel-cinematic-universe

6. THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (2021)
As a story about how former Winter Soldier Bucky Barnes deals with his many MCU traumas and how Sam Wilson decides to take up the Captain America mantle, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is pretty rushed, and in the end, clumsy. As a story about a network of secret super-soldiers who could be labeled terrorists or freedom fighters, depending on your perspective, it’s well-meaning, but often just graceless. But as a story about two men trying to separately deal with losing their mentor and inspiration, each resenting the other for doing it wrong until they finally bond over what they learned from him, it’s resonant and thoughtful in a way MCU stories rarely can be.

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan, as the titular main characters, bring a vital combination of warmth and prickliness to their roles, which helps make their sometimes broadly drawn characters feel vulnerable, human, and engaging. At its absolute best, this action bromance is so good that it’s actively frustrating when it blows some of its narrative potential by zipping past important plot points with a hand-wave or a stuffy speech. —TR

• Useful 1
(edited)

Andor, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Moon Knight and Obi-Wan Kenobi Get 4K UHD and Blu-ray Release Dates
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MARCH 5, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/andor-obi-wan-kenobi-4k-uhd-blu-ray-release-dates/andor-the-complete-first-season/ 

Andor, The Falcon and Winter Soldier, Moon Knight and Obi-Wan Kenobi will get physical media releases, on 4K UHD and Blu-ray, on Tuesday, April 30.
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier: The Complete First Season
BONUS FEATURES:

• Cap’s Shield featurette – Sometimes a shield isn’t just a shield. Anthony Mackie and the creative team behind The Falcon and the Winter Soldier discuss what Captain America’s iconic accessory ultimately represents — along with the numerous challenges of capturing the cumbersome prop in action once cameras started rolling.
  • Assembled: The Making of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier – Embark on the making of this high-flying, globe-trotting action series with the cast and crew in Assembled: The Making of Falcon and The Winter Soldier.
  • Gag reel

DELETED SCENES:

• Flight Lesson – Sam and Rhodey have a heart to heart and bond over flying.
  • Still Not Funny – Bucky brings a treat to Sam’s family gathering.
Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Anthony Mackie is disappointed The Falcon and the Winter Soldier didn't get season 2
Rob Leane   March 20, 2024
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/anthony-mackie-falcon-winter-soldier-season-2-exclusive-newsupdate/ 

During the interview, Mackie explained that he was somewhat disappointed that The Falcon and the Winter Soldier did not get a second season.
Looking back on it now, Mackie says: "The Falcon and [the] Winter Soldier, I really enjoyed doing that show. I was actually excited to do a second season, just so me and Sebastian [Stan] can get paid to hang out.

"Because it's like me, him and Daniel Brühl. It's kind of like the perfect storm of happiness." You can also see the video of this comment below!
As Mackie puts it: "When they decided to go back to the movies, it is what it is, but I don't have my friends anymore, so it kind of dampens it a little bit."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1