Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Sam and Bucky In the News!

• Start Topic

Anthony Mackie was on A Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Monday April 26. They also debuted the new full Captain America action figure wings and all.  Mackie said he hadn't seen it before and Colbert said he's in tv so they just give him stuff, so no clue you have to buy seven figures to get all of that one. But the wings looked pretty cool and move up and down. 

More TFATWS merch revealed - Sam's Captain America, more Bucky, and Walker's U.S. Agent...

Anthony Mackie Reveals New Captain America Figure on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert'
BY RACHEL PAIGE   April 27, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/anthony-mackie-captain-america-figures-stephen-colbert

Shop Marvel Must Haves: Sam Wilson (Captain America)
BY RACHEL PAIGE    April 26, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/shop-marvel-must-haves-sam-wilson-captain-america
sam_wilson.jpg 

Shop Marvel Must Haves: Bucky Barnes
https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/shop-marvel-must-haves-bucky-barnes
bucky_0.jpg 

Shop Marvel Must Haves: John Walker
https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/shop-marvel-must-haves-john-walker
john.jpg 

Captain America | Marvel Studios' The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment     Apr 27, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Y’all are not treating her like she’s a princess of Marvel. Sheesh.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Showrunner Explains Sharon Carter's Controversial Turn

https://in.ign.com/news/158216/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-showrunner-explains-sharon-carters-controversial-turn

"A tremendous amount of thought went into this decision, and it begins with Civil War," Spellman said. "Sharon was forced out, and in our mind every scenario we ran on why she hadn't been appearing in the MCU had to do with the fact that when the intelligent community often works is that when they turn on someone, they turn all the way on them.

"You've seen it in Mission Impossible movies, you've seen it in like, Salt, whatever, right? There's even a TV show called Burn Notice — when you've been burned, you are utterly betrayed. These people not only did not ever take Sharon back in, they forced her to become a criminal, and they forced her to be on that trajectory. And with the skillset she developed at SHIELD, she was able to thrive."

We landed on that truth, that was just what we felt like really happened," Spellman continued. "Add to that the delight in that Sharon comes from royalty, but more than that, more than the character being sort of like the Princess of Marvel, [actress Emily VanCamp]  has such a youthful look and vibe. For her to be that edgy really, really played well with the character. But it all came from an honest place. It's not like anyone showed up and said, 'Let's ruin Sharon Carter.' It was, 'What do you think happened to Sharon when SHIELD went bad and the intelligence community turned on her.' And this was it."

3 hours ago, Emma said:

Y’all are not treating her like she’s a princess of Marvel. Sheesh.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Showrunner Explains Sharon Carter's Controversial Turn

https://in.ign.com/news/158216/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-showrunner-explains-sharon-carters-controversial-turn

Seriously! She’s been sidelined since Day Fucking One of Winter Soldier and now this?! And even worse, from what I saw her in the Black Widow trailer,  they stole her white catsuit and gave it to Natasha!

• Love 1

It gets worse. 

Too much to quote in here. You’ll be drunk if you take a shot every time you’re confused by a response/explanation. 

What’s frustrating is they were told to include 3 things when they started to map the season and Sharon as the PB was one of them. And they still couldn’t execute it to make sense.

https://ew.com/tv/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-sharon-carter-power-broker-reveal/

Valid question met with a … wtf response.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/captain-america-4-malcolm-spellman-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-season-finale-interview-1234745383/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

DEADLINE: Sharon Carter as the Power Broker — Can you explain to us why the Power Broker would allow the super serum architect Nagle to be shot and lead Sam and Bucky–guys who are trying to stop the serum–straight to Nagle?

SPELLMAN: You’re being very presumptuous about what you know about the power broker, and you’re assuming the Power Broker’s motives. I can’t speak on where that will go.

• Love 2

Falcon & Winter Soldier's Kari Skogland On The Finale, Captain America 4 & More-The Playlist Podcast
The Playlist   Apr 28, 2021

Anthony Mackie on Becoming Captain America and What Comes Next (Exclusive)
By John Boone? 7:30 AM PDT, April 28, 2021
https://www.etonline.com/anthony-mackie-falcon-and-winter-soldier-finale-interview-164723 

Counting John Walker's doomed tenure, Mackie is now the third player in Marvel's cinematic universe to take on the title of Captain America. Yet his will be closest compared to Chris Evans' Steve Rogers, who served as Cap through Avengers: Endgame. "What Chris was able to do with that character was bring a level of strength and confidence to him," Mackie says. "He really brought even-keeled, well-rounded, three-dimensional character."

"Sam Wilson, because he was a counselor of vets, because of his background with his family, and a lot of people don't realize Sam Wilson is the only superhero who has no superpowers -- he's just a regular guy who went for a jog and became an Avenger -- he comes from a place of humanity and humility," he continues. "I feel like I'll bring the human aspect instead of the super aspect. He's still got them hands though, but he's not a superhero. He's a regular guy."
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier finale ends with an updated title card, one which acknowledges Sam's new moniker: Captain America and the Winter Soldier. What this means for the character's future remains to be seen. Despite reports that Mackie will front his own Captain America movie, to be scripted be series head writer Malcolm Spellman and Dalan Musson, the actor claims he has yet to hear anything.

"Nobody called. I'm like, 'My phone works, dawg! I pay my bill every month!' So, I don't know what's going on," Mackie responds. "They always have some kind of plan. But there's, like, 30 million projects in production right now, so I just wait for the phone call from Kevin [Feige] and Nate [Moore] to tell me what I'm doing."
Whether it's on the big screen in Captain America 4 or in a second season of the series -- whatever it would be titled -- Mackie is hopeful the next outing will still see him teamed up with Sebastian Stan's Bucky Barnes.

"Sebastian is one of my dear friends. I think it's obvious that we work extremely well together. So, the idea of us being a duo, it ain't that bad of a thing," Mackie says. "You get the glaze and you get the chocolate glaze, you know? Everybody gets the donut they want. So, I think we'll all be happy with that."

Captain America | Marvel Studios' The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 27, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

More TFATWS music themes...

Once More Into the Fray (From "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Vol. 2 (Episodes 4-6)...
MarvelMusicVEVO   Apr 30, 2021

Making Amends (From "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Vol. 2 (Episodes 4-6)"/Audio Only)

Leading the Charge (From "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Vol. 2 (Episodes 4-6)"/Aud...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER WRITER HAS BAD NEWS FOR STEVE ROGERS FANS
ALEX WELCH   APRIL 30, 2021
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/falcon-the-winter-soldier-showrunner-talks-mcu-cameos-marvels-steve-rogers-mystery

INVERSE: Was there ever any consideration for having Sam inject himself with the super-soldier serum at any point while you were developing the series?
MALCOLM SPELLMAN:
No. That’s what’s great about Sam, you know? You see how quickly I just answered that? We knew all along that’s not his bit.

The show talks about Steve Rogers a lot across its six episodes but doesn’t ever explicitly reveal what happened to him after Avengers: Endgame. Was it always the plan to keep Steve’s whereabouts vague, or did you ever consider revealing them outright?
I’ve got to tell you the truth, my friend. Marvel won’t tell me what happened to Steve, so we were able to write whatever we wanted because we don’t know. We’re wondering if Steve’s on the moon too, you know what I’m saying? That’s as good a guess as anything because they won’t tell me.

In one of its most powerful moments, the show changes its title to Captain America and the Winter Soldier in its final credits sequence. Did you ever plan on changing Bucky’s title at the end too?
I’ll be honest: I discovered that title change when I was watching a cut of the episode, and it wrecked me. I haven’t spoken to Marvel about whether they considered changing Bucky’s name too, but my gut tells me the reason it still says “and the Winter Soldier” is simply because they wanted to play with the poetry of a title you’ve been hearing. If they had changed too much it maybe wouldn’t have felt the same, but I truly don’t know what discussion went into it. I just know it landed heavy with me.
Do you see Bucky and Sam as a permanent team in the MCU now? Or do you think they can go their separate ways and come together at different points?
I don’t know about them as a permanent team, but I would argue that Bucky does seem like Sam’s family now. I can imagine Sam comes home to Louisiana on occasion and finds Bucky eating at the table and who knows, you know what I’m saying? I mean, him and Sarah (Adepero Oduye) had a little, you know, little flirtation going on.
Are there any Easter eggs in the series that fans haven’t spotted yet that you want to point out?
I can’t think of any. You guys are better than I am at that, you know? I will say, this is not at all an Easter egg, but one thing no one has caught and it’s a failure in our writing I guess was when we were taking Bucky on his journey, we felt like the moment in Episode 6 where he frees the GRC members and one of them stops to say, “Thank you, you saved my life” — we always considered that Bucky’s first hero moment.

That was a huge deal to us, but I have not heard anyone mention it. We were like, “That’s it. Bucky is on his way to freeing himself from this burden of being the Winter Soldier. Now, he gets to go and be a hero for the first time.” That’s not to say that he hasn’t been heroic before, but that’s the moment when he allows himself to feel like a hero. Not many people caught that.

That moment calls to mind the flashback in Episode 4 where we see Bucky in Wakanda. Can you talk about the origin or thought process behind that scene in particular?
The thing is when you know you have an actor like Sebastian, you want to give them moments to really humanize these characters because they can do it. These are Class A actors. So a big part of that scene was knowing that it was a moment at least 80 years in the making for the character and we wanted the gravitas of that moment for Bucky to be felt. A lot of thought was put into constructing it, and that’s all I can say. Yeah, we thought about it a lot.
The show’s finale takes place almost entirely in New York, which is a hub for so many characters in the MCU. Were there ever any talks of a character like Peter Parker having a cameo during the episode?
Of course! Then Kevin Feige tells you, “No. Stop it.” Listen, when you first show up to these projects, in your mind you think you’re gonna get to use everybody in the MCU. But Marvel always asks, “Does this person belong in this story? You cannot just geek out and put all of our characters in your project because you like them. They have to occur organically.” So Spider-Man did not make it.

Yes, There Was More Bucky and Sarah Footage We Didn't Get to See in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Megan Vick   April 28, 2021,
https://www.tvguide.com/news/bucky-and-sarah-footage-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier/

The short clip after Sam and Bucky (Sebastian Stan) stopped Karli (Erin Kellyman) from her next-stage terrorist plot shows the "co-workers" acting more like brothers, with Bucky joining Sam at the pier in New Orleans to enjoy some cake and great food with Sam's community. There was dancing, merriment, and kids hanging off of Bucky's arm, which caused several thousand viewers' ovaries to explode (official numbers still pending). It was exceptional, except we did not get more of Bucky flirting with Sam's sister Sarah (Adepero Oduye) and we think we deserved that. Director Kari Skogland confirmed to TV Guide that there was more between the two that fans did not get a chance to see over the course of Falcon and the Winter Soldier's six episodes. 

"There was a little more flirting, I will give it that," Skogland confirmed to TV Guide. "I loved the dynamic between Adepero and Sebastian, or Bucky and Sarah. I love that dynamic and it was really fun because, of course, you can imagine Sam was just not up for that... We did have a bit more from that scene we decided not to put in, but it was very enjoyable." 

Falcon and Winter Soldier Star Sebastian Stan Urges Marvel to "Release the Bucky Sarah Cut"
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - April 30, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/falcon-and-winter-soldier-sebastian-stan-marvel-release-the-bucky-sarah-cut-flirting-romance/ 

releasethebuckysarahcut-1266538.jpegResponding to the TV Guide story on Instagram, Sebastian replied with the now-trending hashtag #ReleaseTheBuckySarah cut. Fans previously demanded Disney+ and Marvel Studios #ReleaseTheZemoCut, which culminated in the studio releasing online a one-hour "Zemo Cut" exclusively made of footage of a dancing Baron Helmut Zemo (Daniel Brühl).

Whether or not Bucky strikes up a romantic relationship with Sarah, Skogland says the ex-Winter Soldier ends the series in "a happier place" when we last see him surrounded by the Wilson family and friends to end The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

"I think he'll always be troubled because you can't go through what he's gone through and who he's had to be without having residual effects. So, I think he will always be coping with what that is, but he certainly is in a better place," Skogland said in a recent interview. "I can say as a result of his time with Sam, and as Sam says to him, 'You’ve been avenging. What you really need to do is you need to make [the Winter Soldier's victims] feel good. You need to serve them. You've been talking about you, now go out and make them feel okay.' And so as a result, he starts on that path. And, of course, we suggest he's gone through the book, and so he's on the path to heal."

Falcon and Winter Soldier Director Reveals Why There Were No Isaiah Bradley Flashbacks (Exclusive)
By: Liam Crowley    April 30, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/falcon-and-winter-soldier-isaiah-bradley-flashbacks-exclusive

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Direct, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier director Kari Skogland revealed Isaiah Bradley flashbacks were never considered:

“It was always going to be a modern-day retelling because I think you want to see the man telling the story. How it affected him. To flashback is a cinematic paradigm that we’re all used to, but it takes you out of the emotion of the person.”

Skogland doubled down on the decision to tell Isaiah's story in a present-day recollection, emphasizing that the real emotional weight comes through the character himself and that "that compelling story had to be told by him [Isaiah]:"

“In this case, that compelling story had to be told by him, and we had to see the effects on him, because I think just to flashback and see it would be just another series of images that might not have had the same impact as the heartfelt storytelling.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

How The Falcon And The Winter Soldier’s Composer Made John Walker’s Deadly Moment Even More Horrific
ERIK SWANN     MAY. 1. 2021 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2566783/how-the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldiers-henry-jackman-made-john-walkers-moment-more-horrific 

Falcon and Winter Soldier: What Happened to Bucky's Super-Strength?
BY ROBERT VAUX    MAY 2, 2021
https://www.cbr.com/falcon-winter-soldier-bucky-super-strength-diminished/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

''Racism+' Is How You Get Shows Like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier'

... Series like Disney+ and Marvel’s The Falcon and the Winter Soldier speak to what comics fans have long since known since at least the Wesley Snipes’ Blade era. There’s always been interest in Black comic book characters across a variety of media, and after feigning ignorance about that fact under the guise of playing “the long game,” major film studios have capitalized on that interest in big ways with more recent adaptations. But those projects are only a piece of the larger moment in Hollywood, one that’s elevating Black stories in response to the concerted criticism of decades of sub-par representation, and the general public’s heightened focus on ongoing organizing efforts to abolish racist systems that disproportionately harm and kill Black people and other marginalized communities.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier isn’t unique in attempting to tackle these issues through a science-fictional lens, and other series like HBO’s Lovecraft Country and Amazon’s horror anthology Them speak to the studios’ interest in this general kind of approach. But a number of these series have debuted at a time when their messages couple with an uneven grasp of how to explore these themes carefully. It’s something that’s made more than a few of them disappointments when they didn’t have to be.  ...

(edited)

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Considered More Captain America Candidates
By Don Kaye   May 4, 2021
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-considered-more-captain-america-candidates/ 

But according to The Falcon and the Winter Soldier head writer Malcolm Spellman, the path to that singular image of Sam in his new Wakandan-built outfit and wings, shield on his arm, might have gone several different ways: “We entertained a lot of different stuff,” he tells Den of Geek. “I won’t get into what, but maybe different people were going to be holding the shield in other episodes.”
But whether others in the series might have been in the running is kind of a moot question now, according to Spellman: “It fell by the wayside pretty quickly, because there was such poignancy to Sam’s journey that we very quickly did not have to clutter it with a bunch of plot and a bunch of tricks.”

The “bunch of plot” comment is an interesting one. Speculation has been flying around for a while that certain subplots — including one heavily rumored plotline involving the villainous Flag-Smashers unleashing some kind of virus on the world — were jettisoned from the series because of a) production delays and changes due to the real-life COVID-19 pandemic, b) sensitivity to what was happening in the world with regards to that, and c) the slimming of the show from eight episodes to six.

Spellman acknowledges that some aspects of the plot were left undeveloped, but that the conjecture has been blown out of proportion. “There was no downside to it,” he remarks. “It wasn’t significant. I’m trying to figure out what I’ve said with my big mouth that made people think there’s a story here. I must have said something that sounded way chunkier than the truth, which is that it wasn’t a major thing.”
Spellman adds that the show’s reformatting from the originally announced eight episodes to six was simply a matter of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier being the first to go into production (even though WandaVision ended up premiering first) and Marvel figuring out the format for the first time.

“We were first up, so there were no other series going,” he explains. “They were figuring out the model with me. And as we told the story and broke it and stretched it out, it just naturally came to create the energy that Marvel and Kevin (Feige) wanted. Which was yes, go as deep as a serialized story can go, but also have the urgency of a movie. Six became the number because it forced the storytelling. It gave it room to breathe but forced it to get back on track quickly.”
In the end, Spellman (who “cannot confirm” that he and TFATWS staff writer Dalan Musson are writing the script for a little movie called Captain America 4) insists that he got to make the show he aspired to make and tell the story he wanted to tell. “Marvel will, first and foremost, ask you to create what you want to create,” he says. “And they’re working right there side by side with you.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

For the musically-inclined (I only quoted one portion of the Henry Jackman interview)...

‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Composer Henry Jackman Shares His Creative Process for Writing a Superhero Score [Interview]
Posted on Thursday, May 6th, 2021 by Jacob Hall
https://www.slashfilm.com/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-composer-interview/

What makes your score here different from your scores for Civil War and Winter Soldier? At what point did you realize you can’t do the same Captain America thing again and have to find a new identity?
That’s a really good question. I suppose it’s the same in the writing: it’s a combination. It self-evidently isn’t completely new, because we’re dealing with characters we’ve seen before. So it can’t be such a reach from where we’ve come from that they’re unrecognizable. But there’re all heading to different narrative places in their journey. I’d probably start there. Obviously, when you see episode one you don’t know what’s going to happen, but by the time you get to episode six, you’ve seen the full journey of Sam feeling burdened by the legacy of Steve Rogers. Feeling not up to the task of inheriting the shield. Then the whole conversation with Isaiah Bradley, finding out about terrible things in the past. Not in any way diminishing Bucky – who also has an amazingly important journey trying to resolve the person he used to be when he was an assassin, and that’s an incredibly important feature of the show – but I probably started with the track “Louisiana Hero,” which is like a motif that I took from when [Sam] was Falcon in The Winter Soldier and then, knowing where this show was going to go, that was just the beginning of something back then. I wanted to take that motif and turn it into a fully realized superhero thing, but also reflect Sam Wilson’s background, which is why “Louisiana Hero” – there are versions of it in episodes five and six that are the full regular orchestration, but there are moments when I wanted to get some of the fabric of his background in there. Which is why it has this less classical rhythm and guitars and Hammond [organ] and whatnot. But I think knowing where Sam Wilson ends up was a really good starting point. That meant that that track, “Louisiana Hero,” was sort of a destination to get to: the superhero melody is the destination, the Louisiana and the groove part is like where he’s come from.

In the case of Bucky, it was a case of finding a musical identity that reflected his de-programmed – there are moments when he has violent outbursts when he gets triggered, but apart from that, Bucky’s journey is really well reflected in that very emotional scene in the last episode. He’s trying to make amends, confess, and explain what he did in his past. So the main Bucky theme, which probably reaches its climax musically in that scene, was another sort of end point to aim for. Narrative end points are a good indication. If you think where Bucky ends up and where Falcon or Sam Wilson ends up, it’s a long way from Civil War and Winter Soldier. Once you know that narratively, [it’s about coming] up with musical identity and theme to take us to those places.

Why The Falcon And The Winter Soldier Used A CGI Captain America Shield For That Bloody John Walker Scene
ADAM HOLMES   MAY. 6. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2567026/why-the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-cgi-captain-america-shield-bloody-john-walker-scene 

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing The Falcon and the Winter Soldier VFX supervisor Eric Leven, and among the questions I asked him was if there were any moments in the John Walker vs. Sam and Bucky fight that looked practical to the untrained eye, but involved VFX to bring to life. He explained why it was necessary to use CGI for the bloody shield with the following words:

"The one thing that I think was pretty invisible and really successful was that shield needed to be replaced in almost every shot. One of the most impressive shots I thought was at the very end when Sam’s holding up the shield after the fight and wiping the blood away. That’s a CG shield with CG blood on it. Due to the fact that one, it was difficult for people to decide on the day what the blood was gonna look like. People were frankly hesitant to put blood on the real shield, because we’d never done that before, this shield is always pristine. But when they’re fighting, they’re fighting with a rubber shield, they can’t fight with the real shield. So the rubber shields typically don’t look 100%, they flex, so that needs to be replaced… People don’t realize that shield is usually computer generated."
After Eric Leven informed be about the CGI decision for the John Walker vs. Sam and Bucky fight in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I asked for clarification about if the shot of John Walker at the end of “The Whole World Is Watching” also featured a CGI shield. He answered:

"I think it was a CG shield. I’d have to go back and double check, but more often than not it was a CG shield. Just because, for one reason or another, the shield didn’t quite do exactly what they wanted it to, didn’t quite have the right sheen. Even if it was the real shield on set, we replaced it with CG."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Guests were stuntmen Aaron Toney and Gui DaSilva, who talked about the work they did on The Falcon and The Winter Soldier...

Stuntmen React To Bad & Great Hollywood Stunts 32
Corridor Crew   May 1, 2021

VFX Secrets Behind Marvel Studios' The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
Marvel Entertainment   May 7, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

TFATWS is a nominee for Favorite New Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series, Emily VanCamp and Erin Kellyman are nominees for Favorite Actress in a Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series, and Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan are nominees for Favorite Actor in a Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series...

Vote for Your Favorites! The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards (Round 1)
May 7, 2021    Tell-Tale TV
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-round-1/ 

You can vote for up to THREE choices in each of the many categories below from now through Thursday, May 13th at 8pm EST. You can vote once per day until voting closes. All awards are for shows airing between May 2020 and April 2021.
The top 12 nominees in each category (or more in cases of ties) will then move on to Round 2, which will begin on Friday, May 14th. 

The Secret Behind Bucky's Arm
Marvel Entertainment   May 8, 2021

The following podcast includes interviews with TFATWS director Kari Skoagland and actor Desmond Chiam (Flag Smasher Dovich) - starting at around the 20:00 mark...

-- Kari Skoagland said that she and Malcolm Spellman went to see the Endgame premiere at a small theater and, after that, they went to meet TFATWS cast members, including SS and AM. That event was her first sense of terror in realizing how "huge" it all was and what she was getting into (in directing TFATWS). She said that the relationship between Sam and Bucky developed organically out of the natural chemistry between AM and SS. She added that there was a lot of ad libbing on set by the actors, which was "fantastic" because these moments of "spontaneity" happened in the midst of the actors' friendship (she gave a few examples). She also talked about subverting expectations with the female characters: Karli with her "innocent face" as the villain, who has the right ideals and wants to save the world, but has to do something really "heinous" in order to get people to pay attention; and Sharon with her "muscular badassery," fighting all those "marauders" by herself outside Nagel's lab. She said that EVC rehearsed for that fight sequence for three months. She said that EK also worked hard on Karli's fight sequence with John Walker.

-- Desmond Chiam (speaking with his natural Australian accent) talked about how much he loved Steve Rogers' Captain America. He said that Captain America's "I can do this all day" attitude helped him deal with getting "knocked down" repeatedly as an actor "in this industry." He said that "Cap" has had a kind of "shamanistic influence" on him. (He noted that Asian-Americans in particular are going through "a lot of bad things" right now.) So when this MCU opportunity came along, "there was no way" he was going to turn it down. He felt it was "serendipitous." He also noted that his Flag Smasher character took the super serum, although the Flag Smashers are villainous (in contrast to Steve Rogers' heroism). He was in the gym when he got the call about landing the role of Dovich. He hadn't told anyone, not even his wife, that he had gone out for the role. After getting the call, he was a bit "shell-shocked." When his wife asked him if he was okay, he said, "Marvel. Marvel called." She sarcastically asked, "What do you mean Marvel called? They just called you out of the blue? You have Marvel on speed dial?" Then a couple of weight lifters in the gym came over and asked him if he was okay. He had to reassure them that he was okay. He then talked about how his character Dovich's purpose was to demonstrate that the Flag Smashers were not a single, "monolithic" entity, but that the social movement was made up of diverse members who didn't all agree with Karli's decisions. He said that Mama Donya is to Karli what Karli is to Dovich. So it's painful for Dovich to see Karli undergo this "violent transformation." However, he remains loyal to Karli. So he tried to invest his character's fighting near the end with a "violent desperation" because he knows it's not right but he won't abandon Karli. He has a twitter account at https://twitter.com/deschiam.

Disney Shares "For Your Consideration" FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER, WANDAVISION, & THE MANDALORIAN Posters
Josh Wilding   May 10, 2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/falcon_and_the_winter_soldier/disney-shares-for-your-consideration-falcon-and-winter-soldier-wandavision-the-mandalorian-posters-a184632#gs.116hxx

Disney has released the first "For Your Consideration" posters for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision, and The Mandalorian, giving us a better idea of what award categories they'll be pushing these shows in. 

For now, the focus with the two Marvel Studios TV shows appears to be getting them in the "Best Drama" and "Best Limited Series" categories, respectively. That makes sense as they stand a chance of making a real impact there, especially when the Emmys roll around this September. 

932032212.jpg 

Questions are asked in the following interview that have been asked in this forum, like whether Sharon was Snapped and how Sharon became the Power Broker if she was Snapped (Spellman sidesteps answering these questions), and why the closing title card doesn't say Captain America and the White Wolf (Spellman does answer this question)....

‘Falcon and Winter Soldier’ Boss Malcolm Spellman on Making the MCU’s Heaviest Story: “Marvel Never Blinked”
BY BRIAN DAVIDS     APRIL 28, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/falcon-and-winter-soldier-boss-malcolm-spellman-on-making-the-mcus-heaviest-story-marvel-never-blinked-4175442/

In a recent conversation with THR, Spellman also addresses his interest in an Isaiah Bradley (Carl Lumbly) prequel story, as well as Isaiah’s unique role in Sam Wilson’s hero’s journey. He further discusses whether John Walker (Wyatt Russell) is redeemed or not.
Sam and Bucky would get very defensive whenever Zemo (Daniel Bruhl) or Isaiah would challenge or come close to challenging Steve Rogers’ legacy. Did you feel like you were walking a tightrope since the goal was to cast a shadow on the institutions that created Steve Rogers’ Captain America, and not disparage Steve himself?
It was definitely a tightrope. We just tried to be as honest as possible, and if Steve is who Steve is, we should be okay. Zemo, obviously, had very, very thorough talking points and some inescapable truth in what he was saying. But if we’re honest, you never had to try too hard to protect Steve because Steve Rogers really embodied the promise of what you hope Cap would be.
Since Walker has yet to confront the trauma of his past like Bucky has, his heroic act in the finale feels temporary to me. He was still battling his unchecked demons throughout the final confrontation. Until he does the work that Bucky did, should anyone remotely think that John Walker is redeemed?
I will only talk about John Walker in our series because I don’t know where he is gonna go. But I agree, and I think you have an astute observation. Look at the energy from Bucky even when this thing begins. There’s a humility to the scope of what he’s done. John Walker is just beginning his journey; he’s at least 70 years younger than Bucky. He gets taken low, and he does the right thing in the heat of battle in episode six. But look at his energy when he’s talking to Val (Julia Louis-Dreyfus). That arrogance is part of what he embodies.
Fictionally, it’s either late 2023 or early 2024, and Sharon Carter has been on the run since 2016. Endgame also implied that she was snapped by Thanos in 2018. But based on the level of resentment that she has towards the U.S. government, as well as her rise to power in Madripoor, I don’t get the feeling that she was part of the snap since 2.5 years on the lam doesn’t seem like enough runway for her to become the Power Broker. Dr. Nagel (Olli Haaskivi) also said that when he got back from the snap, the Power Broker immediately funded his research, which suggests that Sharon’s business wasn’t upended by the snap. Are you able to say if Sharon was definitively snapped or not?
I bet you if you can get [executive producer] Nate Moore or one of the writers on the phone, they would be able to answer. We have these discussions in the room, but the effort we put into tracking all that is too hard for me to commit to answering right here in this interview. There is a human-foot-tall stack of documents that have been circulated in tracking all this stuff, and I cannot possibly remember right now.
How close were you to changing Bucky’s moniker from the Winter Soldier to the White Wolf?
I got to see that moniker [White Wolf] in watching one of the cuts, and man, it really affected me emotionally. The reason [the closing title card] still says The Winter Soldier is solely based on Marvel feeling like they needed to keep some of the original title in there to land that feeling. I don’t think it had anything to do with where Bucky is going or how Bucky evolved as a character. I think that they felt like if they went too far away from the original title, you wouldn’t feel the impact of those words. But I’m speculating here.

Ayo (Florence Kasumba) told Bucky to steer clear of Wakanda for the time being, and since the Wakandans dubbed him as White Wolf, could the delayed transition be a response to that overall dynamic?
I think there’s still some energy there. I forget what Ayo says, but who’d she bring the suit to when he needed that favor? Again, I’m speculating here, but I believe they wanted the impact of Captain America and the Winter Soldier to land. And I do think that had they done Captain America and the White Wolf, it might not have been as emotional of a landing because it’s too much math and too much evolution. But I don’t know for sure what it was. I got blindsided by that while watching the cut — but I loved it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Are you able to say if Sharon was definitively snapped or not?

I bet you if you can get [executive producer] Nate Moore or one of the writers on the phone, they would be able to answer. We have these discussions in the room, but the effort we put into tracking all that is too hard for me to commit to answering right here in this interview. There is a human-foot-tall stack of documents that have been circulated in tracking all this stuff, and I cannot possibly remember right now.

I recently applied for (and was not selected to interview) a Story Manager position at Marvel. The job description was basically you keep track of everything that happens in the MCU for continuity and reference purposes. I'm still slightly bummed, but maybe it's better to not meet or work for your heroes - heroes being a corp that I have given way too much money to. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Scene Of The Month - April 2021 + POLL
Posted by Justyna Kubica at May 09, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/05/scene-of-month-april-2021-poll.html 

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER, "The Whole World Is Watching" & "Truth", April 9 & 16, 2021, Actors: Anthony Mackie, Wyatt Russell, Carl Lumbly and more, The Scenes: Walker kills one of the Flag Smashers in front of a crowd & Isaiah tells Sam his story & Sam and Bucky take back the shield
Justyna:
From the moment Lemar is captured you can feel a tragedy coming, but still, I did not expect THIS. At least not in such a brutal and sudden way. We've only known Battlestar for a few episodes but he was already one of my favorite new characters on the show. To see him die like this, I can honestly understand how this could break his best friend. But it doesn't justify what follows. The whole scene changes in a second. The fight stops as everyone realizes how powerful one loss can be, especially when you're fighting a man who's calling himself Captain America. The music intensifies, the dialogue almost fades away as we witness John Walker's blind anger turn him into the most terrifying of foes. He becomes focused on a sole purpose - all he wants is to murder everyone who had anything to do with Lemar's death. He can't locate Karli so he's going after her allies, the Flag Smashers, and eventually gets to one of them, Nico. He furiously kills him with the shield, right in front of the crowd of bystanders who record the whole incident on their phones. The visual of Walker striking Nico with the shield is not only unforgettable but it also makes me think of Steve Rogers at his worst. The difference being Steve didn't let his anger control him, while Walker let his rage destroy everything he fought for. And Nico... we don't know too much about his character. In fact one of the few things we do know is the fact he used to look up to Captain America. And here we are. Captain America's fan killed by his shield. Still can't quite get this scene out of my head. Kudos to cast & crew for all their memorable work on the series. Looking forward to where the story takes us next.
Folie-lex: As Isaiah narrates his history to a horrified but unsurprised Sam, Carl Lumbly personifies the anger and bitterness of every black man in America. This is a superhero fictional world, but real life versions of his kind of history I'm sure are in abudance and that's beyond tragic. It's a hard scene to watch (I can attest to that as it brought me to tears) but a necessary one.
Sandi: Sam and Bucky take back the shield.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

13 of the Best Superhero TV Shows to Stream Right Now, According to an Entertainment Editor
By Nakeisha Campbell | May 13, 2021
https://www.purewow.com/entertainment/best-superhero-tv-shows 

3. ‘THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER’ ON DISNEY+

Marvel fans have grown quite used to seeing Bucky (Sebastian Stan) and Sam (Anthony Mackie) on the sidelines—that is, until now. The new Disney+ series takes place six months after the events of Avengers: Endgame, giving fans a more intimate look at the two heroes as they become powerful allies in the post-blip world.

As anyone would expect, the action sequences don’t disappoint, but it’s Stan and Mackie’s chemistry that really shines through. Seeing them go from reluctant, bickering allies to a tight-knit duo is so gratifying—and it’s especially interesting to see how they deal with their inner demons and personal challenges along the way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2021 at 2:42 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously! She’s been sidelined since Day Fucking One of Winter Soldier and now this?! And even worse, from what I saw her in the Black Widow trailer,  they stole her white catsuit and gave it to Natasha!

I think instead of "stealing" Sharon's white catsuit and giving it to Natasha, the white outfit is actually a reference to her white outift in Black Widow: Deadly Origin, which came out around the time that she made her debut in Iron Man 2.  Which makes sense that because in that comic book she's confronting the skeletons in her closet which would fit with the whole "I'm done running  from my past" thing she's got going on. 

(edited)

TFATWS survived to Round 2 and is still a nominee for Favorite New Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series. Emily VanCamp and Erin Kellyman also survived to Round 2 and are still nominees for Favorite Actress in a Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series. Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan also survived to Round 2 and are still nominees for Favorite Actor in a Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series...

Vote for Your Favorites! The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards (Round 2)
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-round-2/ 

For this round, you can vote for just ONE choice in each of the categories below from now through Thursday, May 20th at 8pm EST. You can vote once each day until voting closes. All awards are for shows airing between May 2020 and April 2021. 
The top 6 votes in each category (or more in cases of ties) will then move on to the Final Round of voting, which will begin on Friday, May 21st.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

From last night's 2021 MTV Movie & TV Awards - TFATWS got 2 awards...

(* Sebastian Stan is co-starring with Lily James in an upcoming Hulu miniseries, Pam & Tommy, about rocker Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson. You can see pics of Sebastian as Tommy Lee posted in his Instagram.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

EXCLUSIVE: MARVEL STUDIOS THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER'S NEW HIT EP MALCOLM SPELLMAN!!! 5/10/21
Everyone Loves A Good Story    May 14, 2021

-- Podcaster is Hip Hop Artist & Emcee ILACOIN (born Christian Josiah). He interviewed TFATWS EP/Showrunner Malcolm Spellman on May 10, 2021.

-- Spellman's "favorite Marvel production" is either Winter Solider or Civil War, probably Winter Soldier if he can only pick one. Podcaster's favorite is The First Avenger because he hates bullies, with Black Panther as his second favorite.

-- Podcaster noted a prophetic line in The First Avenger where Red Skull told Steve Rogers that he could have had the power of the gods but instead wears a flag on his chest and thinks he fights for a battle of nations. Red Skull then added that he had seen the future and there are no flags. Steve defiantly responded, "Not my future." Podcaster asked if Spellman wrote TFATWS script to have this dialogue play out as prophecy and if it influenced him to choose Karli Morganthau and the Flag Smashers to be the antagonists in this series. Spellman said that they did not consciously catch that line (none of their writers noticed that line) and did not intentionally make that the "connective tissue" to TFATWS series. However, he added that all of their writers had watched all of the Captain America movies "multiple times" (at least five times), so "who knows" what they might have subconsciously picked up.

-- Spellman explained the "two-hander" concept, which he has studied extensively (including The Defiant Ones, 48 Hours, Bad Boys, Lethal Weapon, etc.). He said that the best ones tackled serious issues, without losing the fun and having some comedy. 

-- Podcaster and Spellman both praised Carl Lumbly's performance as Isaiah Bradley. Spellman said that there was "some discussion" as to whether or not to have Isaiah salute the statue, but decided, 'nope.'  Spellman: "He appreciates what Sam did for him. But he ain't never letting go of what they did to him." So instead of saluting, Isaiah hugged Sam.

-- Podcaster asked what "metrics [they] used on Sam versus Bucky in order to maintain the integrity of each character." Spellman replied that they did not do "one teaspoon here and one teaspoon there." Instead, they spent "hella time defining their baggage and defining their issues," and realized how different they were in terms of issues. He noted that the audience can immediately recognize Bucky's issues from the Wakanda flashback to killing Stark's family and wondering how many people he's actually killed. He said that Sebastian Stan played Bucky "with so much humanity, you knew he was tortured by it." So, without thinking about Sam, they tried to figure out how to unpack Bucky's baggage, how to have him exit the storyline without it, and finding a storyline for it. That Bucky storyline (trauma, neglect, therapy, making amends) "wrote itself." Then for Sam, without thinking of Bucky, they thought of Sam-specific things, like Anthony Mackie and Sam Wilson both being from the South, and having a storyline that Anthony can believe in. If you're a black man from the South and "someone hands you the Stars 'n Stripes," you have to think about it. Sam has to return home to his sister and his community that's being destroyed by the banks in real life. Sam also has to deal with the "specter" of Steve Rogers. Sam as the hero has to confront his fears and overcome them. Isaiah's words resonate with Sam. Once they figured out who does what in each character's story, "the balance of who got what just became organic."

-- Podcaster noted that the "secret ingredient" to the super soldier serum and to being "worthy to wear the shield" was being a good person at heart (like Steve in The First Avenger), which is a "rare commodity." That's what made Sam "shine." Podcaster asked how they make Sam a superhero of the same caliber of other superheroes in the MCU. Spellman said that the famous scene of Sam running behind Steve around the oval showed that Sam is someone "who will work twice as hard, to get half as far," and that Sam accepts that. So they thought it was totally consistent with who Sam is that, when Sam committed to being the new Captain America, he totally worked for it. Spellman said that people root for the hero because of what he goes through (like Bruce Willis' character in Die Hard).

-- Podcaster said that he had nothing to complain about when it came to Bucky, who made him cry in that flashback scene in Wakanda. Spellman said that the one line said everything about Bucky's journey through every movie, because that's what he thinks of himself, adding: "Sebastian... killed it." Podcaster asked how they developed Bucky in the series with "such ambivalence," because you know the bad things that he's done, but he still got a pardon. He freed Zemo and yet is able to walk free.  And yet the podcaster didn't have any problem with it.  Spellman: "Because you know how he feels. That's why. Like, that's - the difference is, nobody got off scot free. If you know this dude is dying inside every day, then you know he didn't get off of doing shit to, uh, T'Chaka, you know what I'm saying?(*) That dude pays the price every single day he wakes up. And I think that's why people didn't butt against him, because they saw, oh, now that we're spending time with Bucky, he's a f**kin' mess. He's a motherf**kin' mess. You know what I'm saying? He ain't got away with nuthin'." Spellman noted that you see how "fragile" Bucky is when you see the fight in Madripoor and Sam asked him if he was okay. "Everybody knows Bucky is a mess."

(* IIRC, Zemo was responsible for T'Chaka's death, not Bucky. Zemo framed Bucky for that murder.)

-- Spellman noted that Bucky's "first hero moment" was in the season finale (when he frees the GRC members and one of them says, "Thank you, you saved my life"), but no one in the audience caught that moment. Podcaster picked up on it, though. Spellman was disappointed that almost nobody picked up on that moment. He said that Sebastian even played it as though Bucky didn't know how to deal with it.

-- Spellman said that Isaiah's lifting up his shirt and showing his wound (which he has to live with for the rest of his life) had as a reference point "a very famous photograph."

-- On Valentina Allegra de Fontaine, Malcolm Spellman: "She entered the show like an Easter egg. ... That was [Marvel's] suggestion. We wrote a shady-ass CIA character. And Marvel’s like, 'It should be Val.' ... And one thing I give Marvel credit for, they are fans just like we are. Like, they be knowin' certain shit because they geek out. They like, 'Oh man, what if it was Val?' Then the whole room is like, 'Oh, fuck! Can we do that? Can we use Val?' You know what I'm saying? Then they know they got one. You know what I'm saying? But I think that's why it hit so hard, is because she appeared like an Easter egg."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Stars of Marvel’s ‘Loki,’ ‘WandaVision’ and ‘Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Join Variety’s Virtual TV Fest
By William Earl    May 18, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/wandavision-loki-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-marvel-variety-virtual-tv-fest-1234975320/ 

Variety is pleased to announce the final programming for its second annual Virtual TV Festival, presented by Amazon Advertising, airing on June 8, 9 and 10. An exclusive panel with the stars of Marvel’s “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier,” “Loki” and “WandaVision” will premiere on Wednesday, June 9. This will be the first time that the stars of all three shows will appear together in one panel. Paul Bettany, Tom Hiddleston, Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan will come together to talk about the three shows and how they co-exist in the Marvel Universe.

VIRTUAL_TV_FEST_2021_SOCIAL_MARVEL_V2.jp

Variety Virtual TV Fest Schedule:
https://virtualtvfest2021v4.splashthat.com/ 

DAY 2 MORNING PROGRAM

9:30 AM PT
MARVEL SUPERPANEL

Stars from Marvel's popular and eagerly awaited TV series WandaVision, Loki and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier talk about their experiences on the set and discuss their characters' impact on the storied Marvel Cinematic Universe.

PAUL BETTANY, WANDAVISION (VISION, THE VISION)

TOM HIDDLESTON, LOKI (LOKI)

ANTHONY MACKIE, THE FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER ( SAM THOMAS WILSON / FALCON)

ELIZABETH OLSEN, WANDAVISION (WANDA MAXIMOFF/SCARLET WITCH)

SEBASTIAN STAN, THE FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER (BUCKY BARNES / WINTER SOLDIER)

Moderated by Adam Vary
DAY 2 EVENING PROGRAM

VARIETY A NIGHT IN THE WRITERS' ROOM
5 PM - 6 PM PT

DRAMA
Moderated by Cynthia Littleton, Co-Editor in Chief, Variety
MALCOLM SPELLMAN
HEAD WRITER & EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
CREATED FOR TELEVISION BY
THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER - Disney

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

TFATWS survived to the Final Round as a nominee for Favorite New Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series, and Sebastian Stan survived to the Final Round as a nominee for Favorite Actor in a Cable or Streaming Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror Series...

Vote for Your Favorites! The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards (Final Round)
Tell-Tale TV     May 21, 2021
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-final-round/ 

You can vote for ONE choice in each of the categories below from now through Thursday, May 27th at 8pm EST. You can vote once per day until voting closes. All awards are for television shows airing between May 2020 and April 2021. 

You can listen to a new podcast interview with Sebastian Stan at the following podcast link...

Sebastian Stan (“The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”)
Just for Variety with Marc Malkin    May 18, 2021
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sebastian-stan-the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier/id1142302785?i=1000522157503 

-- When Sebastian Stan signed on to play James "Bucky" Barnes, it was 2010.  At the time, only Iron Man had been released, and "nobody was saying that you'd be doing it for the next 10 years of your life." The attitude was more that, if we're lucky, we'll get to do another movie. And then another one, etc.

-- Sebastian Stan said that the chemistry between him and Anthony Mackie was spontaneous and natural. He said that they were very different, but that they cared about the same things. He also said that, when they started doing press tours together (for Winter Soldier), Anthony "broke me out of my shell" and showed him not to take things so seriously.

-- Sebastian Stan said that he'll play Bucky for as long as Marvel wants him: "Again, it’s like, ... no idea, man. It’s not up to me. I don’t make these decisions. As long as they’ll keep calling, I’m there... I don’t know. I get old, too. Like everyone in the world, I age! So I don’t know what that means. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything! I have no idea. I’m just going for the ride."

-- When asked about playing Bucky until he's 80 years old, Sebastian Stan: "May I be so lucky. It’s really quite wild, it really is... A lot of people on TV... there are shows that have gone on for so many seasons, Friends... I mean, there’s a lot of where…you get to go and play a character for such a long period of time. It’s like gaining a family member. You gain, like, a brother or something in this case for me. You get to see this character again and again, and then you’re always growing up, and they’re sort of growing up with you in a weird way."

-- Sebastian Stan noted that, in the comics, Bucky can detach his arm and throw it like a shield, and it'll return and re-attach itself. However, when Ayo removed his arm in this series, Bucky didn't know that his arm could be so easily detached and re-attached.

Related news article (with other comments from this podcast):
‘Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Star Sebastian Stan Talks On-Set Injuries and Transforming Into Tommy Lee
By Marc Malkin    May 20, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/podcasts/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-sebastian-stan-bucky-tommy-lee-1234977338/

Stan was filming another project when he was offered the role of Bucky/The Winter Soldier: “It was April 1, April Fool’s Day. I was on set working on something and then this unknown number called me, and I don’t usually pick up unknown numbers. I kept shooting, and then, an hour or two later, I finally looked at my voicemail, clicked on it, and it was [Marvel boss] Kevin [Feige]. He was like, ‘Hey, we’re trying to reach you. Just want to let you know that we’d love to do this with you. We’d love for you to play James ‘Bucky’ Barnes. Give me a call back.’ He was very casual about it all.”

On fans wanting Bucky and Sam’s relationship to turn romantic: “I’m just happy that the relationship is embraced, and it should be embraced in whatever way or fashion that people desire and want it to be.”

He injured his ankle on the first day of shooting “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” while jumping from a dock onto a boat for episode five: “I just landed and twisted my ankle so badly that I thought it was broken. Like I actually couldn’t walk on it.”

He also endured a lot of pain while shooting after breaking his pinky toe when he slammed his foot into a wall following a late-night pee: “In between the takes when we had to do the set-ups, I would run upstairs and two people would help me out of this boot and I would just take my foot and put it in a bucket of ice.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, oliverwendell said:

Hey TvEcho! I just wanted to thank you for posting all these juicy media tidbits here. It's much appreciated!!!!

You're welcome. When I really like a series, I tend to go all out. So why not share with other fans?

• Love 8
(edited)

The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards: Results! ‘Julie and the Phantoms,’ ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ ‘Lucifer,’ and ‘WandaVision’ Among Winners
May 28, 2021     Tell-Tale TV
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-results-julie-and-the-phantoms-greys-anatomy-lucifer-and-wandavision-among-winners/ 

Now, we’re excited to announce all of the winners of The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards below. You can also check out the final results from the last round of voting here
Favorite New Sci-fi / Fantasy / Horror Series:
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Falcon & The Winter Solder VFX with Weta Digital
Literary Joe    May 25, 2021

Charlie Tait from Weta Digital stopped by to chat with us about his visual effects work on Disney and Marvel Studios' The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

We learned about the entire opening scene and how the canyon was built entirely with CGI. Charlie told us about Redwing and his weapon's carousel, building Falcon's new shield wings, and tons of interesting things!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

To watch video of this THR interview with Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Carl Lumbly, Wyatt Russell, Kari Skogland and Malcom Spellman, go to article link below. Or you can watch the video at THR site here. The entire video is worth watching...

“I Had a Lot of Fear Going Into It”: ‘THR Presents’ Q&A With Key Cast and Creators Behind ‘Falcon and the Winter Soldier’
BY RICHARD NEWBY     JUNE 3, 2021 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-videos/falcon-winter-soldier-cast-interview-1234961697/ 

The road to Mackie’s Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America has been a long one, not simply in terms of the character’s journey in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but in getting The Falcon and the Winter Soldier ready to air on Disney+. After production stalled during the COVID-19 pandemic, forcing what was set to be Marvel Studios’ inaugural show to debut later, following WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had to roll with the punches. Luckily, all involved were more than up for the challenge. During a recent  THR Presents Q&A, powered by Vision Media, the cast and talent behind the series sat down and shared their insights into making the event series.
Sebastian Stan, who portrays Bucky Barnes, has earned a bit of seniority on the rest of the cast, having first appeared in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Ten years on, and Stan is still finding new avenues to explore in the WWII hero turned HYDRA assassin turned superhero. “Every time it feels like we’re finding something new, and as long as we can do that then that’s great,” Stan says on continuing Bucky’s journey. Despite his seniority, Stan is quick to point out that Mackie certainly doesn’t cut him any slack when it comes to trading jokes on set. The buddy dynamics onscreen are just as visible off.

The camaraderie is clear among the cast, which extends to newcomers Carl Lumbly and Wyatt Russell, who portray super-soldiers of different generations, Isaiah Bradley and John Walker, respectively. Lumbly is no stranger to the world of superheroes, having played one of the first Black costumed heroes to appear on TV screens in 1994’s M.A.N.T.I.S., and later as the voice of Martian Manhunter on DC’s animated series, Justice League. “I think each time I participate in these universes, I can only bring myself, so having been in the other forms doesn’t necessarily make a difference,” Lumbly says about his approach to Bradley–a characterization that has generated considerable buzz.
Wyatt Russell has the distinction of being the first second-generation actor to appear in the MCU, following his father Kurt Russell’s role as Ego in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 (2017).

Yet that aspect, and the fact that fans loved to hate his character, didn’t affect his experiences. “I approached it just like a normal character and didn’t put too much pressure on the fact that it was Marvel,” Russell says about playing John Walker. In terms of advice from dad Kurt about joining the MCU, Russell says he was told to make sure he could go to the bathroom, noting the difficulties that come with wearing a superhero suit.

Director Kari Skogland and head writer Malcolm Spellman brought their own ideas and styles to what has become a well-oiled franchise, though the stakes could not have been higher. “Malcolm and I went to the premiere of Endgame to see what the prequel was to our show, and at the end of it, the two of us looked at each other and that was the first wave of sheer terror,” Skogland laughs. Despite that terror, Skogland admits she and Spellman were right in their comfort zones, approaching the show from a grounded perspective. Spellman says tracking the characters’ arcs through the season was the result of several months of pre-planning, covering the walls of the writer’s room with timelines of the characters’ emotional and psychological journeys.

The places in which the characters are taken to within The Falcon and the Winter Soldier didn’t always come easy for the actors, particularly Mackie who has always seemed like one of the most gung-ho of the MCU cast. “I had a lot of fear going into it,” he admits. “It was one of the first things about Marvel that I’ve been a part of that I’ve questioned, and I wasn’t really sure that I actually wanted to do it. What Malcolm and Kari were able to do with this character, with this show, and actually with the Marvel Universe, has changed my entire perspective on what Sam can be,” Mackie says, crediting Spellman and Skogland for their fearlessness as leaders.

That fearlessness is very apparent in the series’ introduction of Isaiah Bradley, a character who does not have a relationship with Sam Wilson in the comics yet is someone whom Spellman saw as instrumental to Sam’s journey to becoming Captain America. “One thing the fans should know is even though the MCU veers off from the books, you really do try and be respectful of them,” says the writer. “I was clear on what that character would mean to Sam as he was going on this journey, and that’s the magic of translation from comic to MCU. There’s this almost pre-ordained perfection. Once you allow the adjustments to happen, you feel it was always meant to go this way.”

The discussion ultimately came around to the first day of production, which became the last scene in the series: Sam and Bucky standing together at the docks. Despite the discomfort of filming on a waterfront in early morning, that pre-ordained perfection felt real to the creators and actors alike. Says Mackie: “It was a beautiful camaraderie to start the show.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Full video of Variety's "Marvel Superpanel" - this was a great panel (definitely worth watching, it's 42:50 minutes long)...

Stars of ‘WandaVision,’ ‘Falcon and The Winter Soldier’ and ‘Loki’ Chat About All Things Marvel
Variety   Jun 9, 2021

-- Mod was Adam Vary, Variety's Senior Entertainment Writer. Panelists were Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and Tom Hiddleston.

-- When asked when was the last time the five stars interacted with each other, Paul joked that they've been living together during the pandemic "like the Monkees." Others said that it was three years ago (2018) for Endgame's "big scene," but Tom interjected that he wasn't there. Tom added that this panel was the first time the "specific five" of them have been in the same "virtual lot" together, even though there have been a lot of different connections between them.

-- When asked about headlining their own shows after having been supporting players in the MCU, Elizabeth said that it was initially "intimidating," but after speaking to WandaVision's showrunner, Jac Schaeffer, she felt that Jac really understood the Wanda character. Elizabeth also said that she and Paul were very excited to lead their own show. 
Anthony said that he was called to L.A. to have a meeting and bumped into Sebastian, who had also been called in. Neither knew the reason. At the time, Anthony was disappointed to learn that it was going to be a TV show because he didn't think they could take the scope of what had been done in the MCU and put it into a TV show, and he didn't want to be the first "failed entity" of Marvel: "You have all this amazing stuff and then this one thing sucks, and it just happens to be me." He didn't know about the other shows (WandaVision, Loki, etc.) and thought they were sending him and Sebastian "out to pasture like two old cows." He was "mortified." However, once he heard that Kari Skoagland and Malcolm Spellman were on board TFATWS, and once Kevin Feige reassured him that they weren't going to "dumb down the culture," then he was okay with it. Then they started shooting and it was all the same people who did the movies. So it was like going back to work "with your friends."

-- Mod mentioned that Tom "taught like a Loki 101 course to the creative leaders" of his show. 
Sebastian: "We were not invited." 
Anthony: "Sebastian and I were on the lot, and we were not invited!" 
Sebastian: "Everyone was talking about it." 
Anthony: "Tom Hiddleston gave a six-hour symposium... and we were not invited!" 
Elizabeth: "We were all on the lot." 
Anthony added that he and Sebastian were shooting one of their biggest scenes at the time, so they couldn't "sneak out and crash the Tom Hiddleston symposium." 
Paul: "Tom, did you have a laser pointer?" 
Tom: "There was a white board." (Watch Tom's facial expressions throughout this exchange. He's cracking up.) 

-- Tom: "Let me go back to the beginning... Our show hasn't aired yet, so I have to be careful what I say now... Initially, when Kevin Feige and Louis D'Esposito called me about this - and they were very excited and, um, it was around the Spring of 2018, which was when Infinity War was being released into the world. And they said... 'Disney [is] going to create this streaming platform... We're very excited to present ideas to them. And Loki is one of them, amongst WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Solider.'  So I was like, 'Okay.' And then I was excited. But my first question was, 'How do we do that?' Infinity War was just about to come out and the opening three minutes of that film felt extremely final... (Mod interjected, "You die, Loki dies.") ... They were so kind and generous, but also sort of conclusive about the way that scene was written. I think even Josh Brolin as Thanos says, 'No resurrections this time.' ... There were moments where different people on the production team had lots of different questions about different things from different films - different movies - the six movies I made in the MCU. They were like, 'Why does this costume change to this? And what happened here? And what was the thinking behind - why did this thing end up like that? Why do you use your knives like this in one film and your knives like this in another one?' ... Again, I have to be careful of spoilers. I know you'll be respectful of the need, with two weeks to go.... The show's about lots of things, but it's probably - an element of it being a kind of - it's about identity, in the way that WandaVision maybe is about grief. Digging into lots of different aspects of Loki and, um, you know, the shapeshifter who is constantly changing shape. So what's his authentic shape? Does he have one? ... I was fielding lots of questions from the production team.... (Anthony interjected, "Six hours, Tom! Six hours... Symposium. Six hours!") ... It wasn't six... Two, maybe... Like, an hour , with a Q&A... (Anthony interjected, "Tom! Q&A? There was a Q&A! ... Sorry, sorry. Love you. Sorry!") ... So I said to Kate Herron, our director, I said, 'Would it be helpful if I gave everybody all the information at the same time?' And Kate and Kevin Wright, our producer, were like, 'That's a brilliant idea." ... It then became a kind of Loki lecture... I'm crushed with shame and embarrassment that this thing has even happened and - and is now out in the world... But if you guys want the kind of Cliff Notes on it, I can probably type them up. I can send you a copy - if you really want it."  
Paul then said that he didn't think he could hold a 30-minute lecture on his character, saying: "Oh my God, Tom Hiddleston is so prepared." Paul added that he just did what he always does, "which is, learn my lines and hope for the best."
Anthony: "Swing for the fence, baby!"
Paul also said that it was "kind of intimidating" because he was playing opposite his stunt guy "and he was kind of better than me." 

-- Mod then asked if they have "go-to ways" of avoiding revealing spoilers when answering questions. 
Tom said that the biggest secret he ever kept for a long time was Loki's death scene in Infinity War. Kevin Feige told him about it when Tom was filming Thor: Ragnorak.
Elizabeth said that she told everyone in her personal life but "no one in the press." She then said that she thought Sebastian would be very good at answering this question.
Sebastian: "What? No... Absolutely not. I'm very worried about any trusting whatsoever. Before this Variety call, I had a conversation with Anthony where I was like, 'I just want to know that you'll be on this call.' I can't be alone. I like - I have like - I think I have an attachment issue now to him. Like, I can't even like do this...."
Elizabeth then said that it was a "big brother, little brother" thing.(*)
Anthony: "Why am I not the little bro? ... I might be the little brother, how about that?"
Elizabeth: "I think you're like the big brother and Sebastian likes to let his big brother talk - talk, so he can just -"
Sebastian: "Oh, Lizzie, I'm so happy you're -"
Anthony: "I'm not saying anything else."
Elizabeth: "I'm not like putting either of you down by the way.... I'm just observing and saying how I see it."
Sebastian: "I'm just saying, if you ever want to meet at Aroma Cafe in the Valley, I'm in."
Elizabeth (laughing): "Aroma Cafe?" 
Tom: "Is this where the therapy scene came from?"
Anthony (laughing): "Right."

(* FYI: Anthony is 42 and Sebastian is 38.)

-- Mod asked Paul about the evolution of his character Vision and how it's been for him to keep coming back to the MCU in a different form. Paul said that it's been great and that the last time it happened, his contract was up and his character had "just been killed twice." When he went to see Kevin Feige, he thought he was going to be fired. Instead, he was told about WandaVision. He replied, "Absolutely. Absolutely. I can keep the kids in private school."

-- Mod asked Sebastian if he knew that his character would be coming back after Bucky fell off the train in Captain America: The First Avenger. Sebastian said that he did not know at that time: "At first, they were going to have this green-sleeved arm and I was like, 'oh, perfect.' And then they were like, 'You know what? We don't know.' So then they gave me the real arm back.... Not much after that." 
Mod then asked when he knew Bucky was returning for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Sebastian replied that he got a call from a friend, who said that he was at San Diego Comic Con and told him, "you're in the title of the next film." And I was like, "Oh. Cool... We seem to find these things out in weird ways, I guess."
When Mod asked how playing Bucky for 10 years has changed his life, Sebastian replied: "You're just trying to kind of like still have some sort of a life, I guess, without someone commenting on it... It's like, if I move this piece of paper from left to right, someone's gonna have something to say about it. And I just think that's really funny." Mod: "You just launched like three blog posts about what that means."

-- Mod asked the entire panel how being part of the MCU has changed their lives professionally in terms of the kinds of projects they can do outside of the MCU and the amount of commitment they have to make to the MCU. 
Elizabeth said that they all now have "a number sign above our heads when we make independent films and whether or not we can sell them internationally to help get financing" and that it allows them to do that. So she thought that it was a "great benefit to being part of such a huge international franchise."
Tom said that he "loves these films" and that he's been in less of them than the other panelists. Even before he became part of the MCU, he loved the first Iron Man movie and thought it was an "amazing movie" and that everyone was "amazing in it." At the time, he couldn't imagine being part of something like that.

-- Mod then asked about fan interactions. Tom and Paul made a few comments.

-- Mod asked about the "world building" in the MCU and what it's like stepping onto the sets in these movies. Elizabeth said that she thought about "how important my wigs are to me" and that she had "like 14 wigs" for WandaVision (for the different decades and for the Scarlet Witch). She also said that they did warm-up vocal exercises to get the "right inflections" for the decade's TV shows. She also mentioned the different sets for each decade's TV show.

-- Mod asked Anthony about the different cities and countries in TFATWS and shooting an international show during a pandemic. Anthony said that, when he read the first script, he thought that it was going to be "this amazing experience where they would be traveling to seven different countries... and, you know, Sebastian was going to hurt his toe trying to be Tom Cruise." Then they were told Atlanta and Puerto Rico, but then the earthquakes in Puerto Rico happened, and then they were told Atlanta and "TBA." Anthony mentioned the uncertainty of locations, the pandemic, the earthquakes, and other "speed bumps" in their path to producing their show. He added that it was a "group effort for cast and crew to keep the morale up" and that every location, opportunity, rewrites, etc., was needed to make the show work. He said that the best thing to happen to them was to have TFATWS moved from the first slot to the second slot, because WandaVision was so amazing that it "set the vocabulary for what Marvel was going to do in this streaming universe." When you saw how great WandaVision was and how it "still stood the test of the cinematic universe," it made the audience "fall in line with the new scope of what Marvel was gonna be... So, thank you, Paul and Lizzie." He added that every single show was a team effort, joking: "We'll see about Loki."
Tom: "We had the best crew of all time."
Elizabeth: "No. We had the best crew of all time."
Anthony: "We had the crew that didn't sit through a symposium."
Tom added that about 2/3 of Loki was made after the lockdown: "Coming back, we did about six weeks of Loki. Then pandemic hit. Shutdown. We came back, uh, five months later - four and a half months." He wanted to give a "public salute" to his crew.

-- Sebastian asked Tom if he got to improvise or if he had to stick strictly to the script. Tom replied that, in his every experience with Marvel Studios, it's been a mixture of the two - you start with a written script, but "it can spin off and change," depending on the scene and complexity of the sets and shots. But there's always "room to play."
Sebastian said it reminded him of shooting TFATWS and having to remind Anthony that Daniel Brühl was in the scene. Anthony just laughed.
Tom praised Owen Wilson for being "inventive." He added that the Marvel Studios experience is like working with Kevin Feige, who is willing to try new ideas.

-- Anthony asked Tom how many times he talked to Kevin Feige while shooting Loki. Tom replied that it was about six times and that, beecause of the pandemic, Kevin was in touch about the shutdown.
Sebastian interjected that Anthony was only asking because "Anthony was calling him every Friday night." 
Anthony (laughing): "Okay. Maybe once every two weeks."
Elizabeth: "Paul'd text Kevin every other day."
Paul: "I was booking this trip to Greece and I had to know how much I could spend."

AM also did a panel with Angelique Jackson, Variety's Film & Media Reporter, and General Charles Q. Brown Jr., Chief of Staff of the Air Force, to discuss the importance of Black heroes, both real and fictional...

Anthony Mackie Talks Becoming Captain America and the Importance of Black Heroes
Variety   Jun 9, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Here Are the Best Superhero Shows to Watch on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, and More
Lindsay MacDonald   June 10, 2021
https://www.tvguide.com/news/best-superhero-shows-watch-netflix-hulu-amazon-disney/ 

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
This show, which picks up post-Avengers: Endgame, centers around Anthony Mackie's Falcon, aka Sam Wilson, and Sebastian Stan's Winter Soldier, aka Bucky Barnes, as they work through their differences to form a crime-fighting partnership. They're trying to take down a dangerous group called the Flag-Smashers and doing an Odd Couple-esque bickering routine the whole time. The real draw of this show, though, is the way it delves into Wilson and Barnes' backstories, putting them at the forefront of the action now that Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is gone. Sam is trying to live up to the responsibility that comes along with the Captain America mantle, and Bucky is just trying to figure out how to exist in the 21st century without his best friend. -Allison Picurro [Watch on Disney+]

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Variety Virtual TV Fest's June 9th "A Night in the Writers' Room Drama Panel" included TFATWS showrunner Malcolm Spellman (go to article link to watch one-hour video of this panel)...

-- Malcolm said that the showrunner's job is changing. He is now spending more time producing and less time writing. He also said that there were "way more shows than showrunners" and that, as a result of having so many creators and shows, there are "collectives" running shows now.

-- On becoming part of the "big Marvel machine," Malcolm said that it was no more "daunting" than adapting a novel into a film, because you're pulling from source material. He also said that Marvel "gets a bad rap" of keeping people on a "tight leash." On the contrary, Malcolm said that he was given a lot of leeway and that they just wanted him to do the best story he could. He also said that he wasn't required to stick strictly to the comics. He said that Marvel's reputation as being "draconian" was not true. He found Marvel to be a "resource" and that he was "free to create." He noted that his series was very different from WandaVision and other Marvel series.

Variety Virtual TV Fest Writer's Drama Panel Discusses Storytelling Tricks and Processes
By Haley Bosselman   June 10, 2021
https://variety.com/video/variety-virtual-tv-fest-writers-drama-panel-2021/

The nugget of writing wisdom was part of Variety‘s A Night in the Writers’ Room Drama Panel, which also featured “Lovecraft Country” creator, writer and director Misha Green; “The Mosquito Coast” writer and showrunner Neil Cross; “P-Valley” showrunner Katori Hall; “The Handmaid’s Tale” creator Bruce Miller; “Snowfall” writer and executive producer Walter Mosley; “The Boys” writer and executive producer Rebecca Sonnenshine and “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” executive producer and writer Malcolm Spellman.

The group of television’s top creators discussed the craft of storytelling and reflected on how the COVID-19 pandemic affected their writing processes. A number of panelists noted that while silent spaces were the preferred place of work, they learned to write in the middle of a full house.

From the June 2021 standalone issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine...

Anthony Mackie, Mario Lopez and 3 More Actors Reflect on Finding New Ways to Play Their Famous Characters
BY CARITA RIZZO     JUNE 7, 2021 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/anthony-mackie-mario-lopez-ralph-macchio-roles/paul-bettany-wandavision-disney/

Anthony Mackie ('The Falcon and the Winter Soldier', Disney+)
Anthony Mackie’s reaction to taking his Avengers character Sam Wilson from big screen to small can hardly be described as enthusiastic. “I was horrified,” he says. “I didn’t feel like we would be able to do, on television, the scope of the work that we do in the [movies].” A conversation with Marvel boss Kevin Feige convinced Mackie that this was not going to be the project that ruins the brand, and with creator Malcolm Spellman and director Kari Skogland at the helm, the actor came around to the opportunity of expanding the character he originated in the film franchise. “I was very excited to see what Sam Wilson’s background was and what type of person he was going to be,” says Mackie. “I think you truly know a man by his relationship with his family, so to see Sam’s ties to the legacy of his parents, his relationship with his sister, his love for his nephews, the family home they live in ­— that gives you a lot about this dude. He didn’t become an Avenger and run out and buy a Ferrari and a mansion in Beverly Hills.”

Where Mackie had some doubts about the character’s background was having Wilson originate from New Orleans, the town from which the actor himself hails. “What scared me was that it would make it about me and not about Sam Wilson,” he says. “But after talking to Malcolm, it all made sense. It adds depth. It adds humanity. The community that you see rally around him after he goes back home — that’s a very Louisiana, a very bayou thing. I see what they wanted to achieve by that, and I think they did a great job.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

In case you missed the notice, First Round voting for the 2021 Primetimer Awards opened on June 14 (and will end on June 18) - The Falcon and the Winter Soldier has nominees in the following categories...

Idiot Stick: Dumbest Character Moment
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119708-idiot-stick-dumbest-character-moment

The Pierce Of The Year: Dispensable Character Who Could Vanish And No-one Would Notice
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119697-the-pierce-of-the-year-dispensable-character-who-could-vanish-and-no-one-would-notice

That Nearly Killed Me: Saddest Death Scene
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119692-that-nearly-killed-me-saddest-death-scene

Whaaaat! Are You Effing Kidding Me?: Biggest Plot Point Letdown
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119690-whaaaat-are-you-effing-kidding-me-biggest-plot-point-letdown

Worst Genre Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119689-worst-genre-show

Life On The Edge: Biggest Cliffhanger
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119688-life-on-the-edge-biggest-cliffhanger

Best Stunt
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119685-best-stunt

We Heart Bad Boys: Favorite Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119682-we-heart-bad-boys-favorite-villain

Be Careful What You Wish For: Most Gratuitous Fanservice
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119656-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-most-gratuitous-fanservice

Wow, That Was Amazing!: Favorite Season/Series Finale
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119655-wow-that-was-amazing-favorite-seasonseries-finale

Pass The Brain Bleach: Least Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119653-pass-the-brain-bleach-least-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year

That Guy Used To Suck: Favorite Character Redemption Arc
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119651-that-guy-used-to-suck-favorite-character-redemption-arc

That Anticlimax Tho: Anticipated New Show That Failed Miserably
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119635-that-anticlimax-tho-anticipated-new-show-that-failed-miserably

Worst Writing
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119618-worst-writing

Will You Be My BFF?: Favorite Secondary Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119608-will-you-be-my-bff-favorite-secondary-character

We Go Together: Favorite Couple Or Ship
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119607-we-go-together-favorite-couple-or-ship

Not Just A Prop: Favorite Performance By An Inanimate Object
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119606-not-just-a-prop-favorite-performance-by-an-inanimate-object

It Just Wouldn't Be The Same Without You: Favorite Lead Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119585-it-just-wouldnt-be-the-same-without-you-favorite-lead-character

Asskicker: Favorite Badass
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119584-asskicker-favorite-badass

Ugh, Not You Again: Least Entertaining Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119548-ugh-not-you-again-least-entertaining-villain

Best Genre Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119512-best-genre-show

LMFAO: Funniest Scene From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119510-lmfao-funniest-scene-from-a-scripted-show

My New Happy Place: Favorite New Show Of The Season
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119507-my-new-happy-place-favorite-new-show-of-the-season

Did That Just Happen?!: Biggest What The Actual Fuck Moment From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119506-did-that-just-happen-biggest-what-the-actual-fuck-moment-from-a-scripted-show

Aw Yessss!: Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119505-aw-yessss-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year

Best Writing
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119504-best-writing

The Big Chill: Favorite Binge-Watch
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119490-the-big-chill-favorite-binge-watch

(edited)

Near the end of this Little Gold Men podcast, Variety's Joanna Robinson interviewed Sebastian Stan (he actually did a screen test for the role of Steve Rogers)...

Harrison Ford’s Only Oscar Nomination— And Maybe His Best Performance
Little Gold Men    June 17, 2021
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/harrison-fords-only-oscar-nomination-maybe-his-best/id1042433465?i=1000525852732

-- Variety's Joanna Robinson said that she was "just talking to" Sarah Finn (casting director for many MCU films and TV series), who remembered Sebastian Stan's audition from over a decade ago. Sebastian had auditioned for Steve Rogers in Captain America: The First Avenger. According to Joanna, Sarah told her, "But we saw this darkness in him," so they cast him as Bucky Barnes. Joanna then asked Sebastian what he remembered about his audition back then.
Sebastian: "It was a wild time, because I'd made like three different audition tapes. I was shooting this tiny movie in Germany, and I was making tapes and sending them from there. And I made a tape for Steve - all for Steve... They kept giving me 'no,' so I was redoing them. And then I didn't hear anything for a while. And I was actually going to go to Romania, where I'm from, after Germany. And instead - this is where - life could have gone a very different way if I had gone, I don't know - instead I actually ended up coming back to L.A. And then I heard, they were like, 'Oh, you're in L.A.' ... So then I finally went in for like a fourth audition, you know, in Sarah's office... And I did the audition there with her. And then they called me to do a screen test... which was for Steve. And I was like, 'A screen test?' ... I did one other screen test in my life, which was for Star Trek, JJ Abrams,* and it was like - and I honestly did not get that... And it was like in a regular office. This apparently was - we were actually going to shoot like a scene. You shoot like a whole scene. Put on costume and everything. You know, I put on this 1940s, whatever that suit that Chris has in that movie, in the first Captain America movie. Like, you have hair and makeup done. Like, it's a big tease. But you still don't have the job, you know? It's crazy. Then you go in there and you're like, 'Oh my God.' Lighting and camera - and I remember doing that... It was me and a bunch of other people. And as soon as I got out of that - like, four days later, they were like, 'It's not going to go any further.' (Laughs) You always hear that. 'It's not going any further.' And I was like, 'Ah, f**k.' After all that, you know, I was really bummed. And then I got a call saying, 'Maybe we can talk about this character.' And I never even knew anything about James 'Bucky' Barnes... I never knew anything about Captain America... I never read the comics... And I didn't want to read any of it before the audition anyway. There was no script. There was just a scene. And so I really didn't know anything about Bucky Barnes."

(* I'm curious as to which role that Star Trek screen test was for. As we know, Chris Hemsworth had a small role in that first JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie, playing Jim Kirk's father.)

-- Joanna: "When did you know that you weren't just going to be playing James 'Bucky' Barnes? That you were definitely going to be playing the Winter Soldier?"
Sebastian: "Well, so we had that meeting, right? ... They were like telling me about James 'Bucky' Barnes. Again, I don't have the job... Like, I'm listening... Sounds fantastic... Are they just saying if I'm interested? I mean, yeah, I'm interested. Like, I want to be in a movie. But, um, they were telling me about his story.... and, yeah, he becomes the Winter Soldier, and he ends up sort of being captured, he falls off this train... He loses an arm, gets captured, then they brainwash him, they turn him into this assassin. Then he comes back... Eventually he comes back around, gets his memories. Like, they told me the whole story. But that was it. There was no more... Then we were shooting the first movie. And I fall off the train in the movie. And I realize that, when I went in for a costume fitting, they had given me a costume that was missing the left arm. So I was like, 'Okay, that means that they're gonna do it!' ... And then, suddenly we were going to shoot the scene, and I had the costume that had both arms. And I was like, 'Uh, why is not the arm -?' And they were like, 'Ah, they just decided that they'll see if anything - they'd rather have both arms, just in case and stuff.' And I was like, oh, f**k, maybe they're not gonna do it... So I fell off the train in the movie. And the movie comes out. Everything's, you know, cool.  2011. I'm at the premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger. And meanwhile, like, I'm not - you know, I'm still like really fighting for a job. Like, 2011 was one of the hardest years of my life. Like, you know, I was going to this premiere, but... I needed a job. I was running out of money. Like, all of this stuff was happening. It wasn't until - I want to say, like whenever the San Diego - the  Comic Con in San Diego happened - a friend of mine called me and said, 'Dude, they just let out the new title for the sequel and it says Captain America and the Winter Soldier.' And I was like, 'Great.' ... That's how I found out. And then a call happened. And we were like, okay, we're going to do the sequel. That's how that happened. I mean, I never knew."

-- Joanna asked about playing this same character for 10 years and playing him at different stages in his own life and what's different now.
Sebastian said the difference was the "level of experience" and that he's grown so much as a human being and as an actor over 10 years. So he thought that his work was "deeper" now and also that the character of Bucky has also evolved. He said that Bucky's biggest changes were in The First Avenger, The Winter Soldier and this TFATWS series. His life experience added to his work as an actor. He said that, for TFATWS series, they had all talked about finding a way for Bucky to come back to himself, as a more stable self, and to fit into the world more. He said that Bucky has a "relatable arc" because everyone has had to deal with trauma and sometimes addiction. He added that Bucky also needed to get out of the shadow of Steve Rogers.

-- Joanna asked how difficult was it for him to play Bucky Barnes, whose personality differs from Sebastian's own personality.
Sebastian said that he "knew this character really well" and that he was "very protective" while they were shooting TFATWS. He said that some dialogue wasn't working ("he wouldn't say this"), but that he and Anthony Mackie were given some latitude to bring their previous experience from playing these characters in the movies. He described Bucky as this "old guy trapped in this body, who's trying to figure out what the hell is going on." He said that he had to keep reminding them that Bucky was an assassin, so he was always going to have "this chip on his shoulder" to some extent. He also said that, at the beginning of TFATWS, Bucky was coming from this "defensive" place - he believed that he wasn't a good man, but he also knew that his best friend, Steve Rogers, was a good man, so he was going to do everything he could to make sure that Steve was okay. "Steve Rogers was his moral compass." So when you take that out, Bucky loses his direction and purpose. "What's my GPS?"  However, over the course of the series, Bucky initially punts away questions and fears, and tries to drive an agenda, before he finally confronts the real issues (what does Sam really want, what is my purpose).

-- Joanna asked if Bucky knows what ultimately happened to Steve.
Sebastian said that he always thought there was a conversation between Steve and Bucky before that final scene in Endgame. In that conversation, he believed that Steve said something like, 'Bucky, you don't have to worry anymore. I finally got that life I wanted. I'm taking one for me. I'm good. Now it's your turn to take one for you... We've both done our time. Let's find our life while we still have it." It was essentially a good-bye scene.
When asked if Bucky knows where Steve is, Sebastian: "Maybe. Maybe not."

-- Some talk about the effect of the pandemic on shooting TFATWS

-- Some talk about getting into "Marvel shape" to play Bucky.
Sebastian said that his fitness regimen started with this role (for 10 years now). He said that he always wanted to do as much of the stunts as possible, especially since Bucky doesn't wear a head covering. He noted that Bucky can't fly or throw hammers or spider webs, he has to do a lot of hand-to-hand combat using his artificial arm.

-- Joanna asked about Bucky's connection to Wakanda and filming that flashback Wakanda scene in TFATWS.
Sebastian said that scene is the kind of scene you're very excited to do initially but then it becomes an "iceberg" that you fear as shooting day approaches. 

-- Joanna then asked about the next Black Panther movie. 
Sebastian doesn't know anything, but he would absolutely want to be in it. He then reminisced about Chadwick Boseman being the new guy. Sebastian now "can't wrap his head around" being in that world without Chadwick. He "can't imagine it." He said that, in his "little scene at the end of Black Panther," he was like, "Ah, I'm part of that movie. I felt so good with that little scene." He felt "grateful and proud" to be included. He also said that he loved working with Ryan Coogler just on that one scene. So the idea of working with him again in some capacity "is really cool." So he's willing to do whatever they want to return to Wakanda, even though he has no idea how they're going to do it without Chadwick. He said that once he was on an airplane, flying home, and the stewardess gave him a "tiny piece of paper" and walked away. He didn't know what it was - maybe her phone number? He opened it, and it said, "Wakanda Forever." He turned to look down the aisle at the stewardess and she made the Wakandan crossed arms gesture. So he's happy that Bucky is remembered as being a part of that world. Sebastian joked that he should just email Kevin Feige once a week with the word "Wakanda."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hyundai and Marvel Studios have partnered in what is the first-ever co-branded creative campaign to bring in the 2022 Tucson SUV to new spots featuring Marvel characters from four different Disney+ series, Loki, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision and What If...

Question Everything with Marvel Studios, ABC, and ESPN | TUCSON | Hyundai
HyundaiUSA   Jun 16, 2021

Inside Line: Scoop on Handmaid's Tale, HAHN, Walker, SEAL Team, Chicago Fire, Archer, NCIS: LA, Lucifer and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 17 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/17/handmaids-tale-season-5-spoilers-serena-joy-mark/ 

Any word as to whether WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier and other upcoming Marvel shows will ever be released on Blu-ray? –Jan
Ooh, interesting question, especially for those who love their physical media. Alas, I am hearing that at this time, there are no plans to do so. But never say never!

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

A Q&A with Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Carl Lumbly, Emily VanCamp and Wyatt Russell (and moderated by Jacqueline Coley, Rotten Tomatoes)...

Conversations at Home with THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER
SAG-AFTRA Foundation    Jun 16, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Cinematographer PJ Dillon on Lensing Cinematic Visuals for ‘Falcon’
by Clarence Moye  June 21, 2021
https://www.awardsdaily.com/2021/06/21/cinematographer-pj-dillon-on-lensing-cinematic-visuals-for-falcon/ 

Awards Daily: I have a question around approaching a Marvel Cinematic Universe project. As a cinematographer, is there a visual language that you already can plug into? Or were you designing your own look and feel for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier?
PJ Dillon:
Well, it’s a little bit of both really. For Falcon and the Winter Soldier, because it follows on from The Avengers movies and the Captain America stuff, there is a visual language and a look that has been established. It was also a project unique in itself. What you try to do is you try to lean into aspects of what’s gone before, but also bring your own unique creative take on on the material and try and make it original in that way. Most of the films that came before were shot in anamorphic widescreen. So we decided that, even though this was a TV show, we would continue with that, so we chose to shoot widescreen anamorphic. We wanted to bring that big screen experience, but Kari (Skogland) and I wanted to bring our own visual input as well.
AD: When you’re looking at the interaction between the camera and the characters, there are circumstances within the series where the framing of the character within the image influences how the characters are interpreted? It helps define them thematically? Can you give some examples of how you are framing certain characters to highlight different aspects of them? John Walker is a particular example where I felt like he was placed very strategically within the frame to accentuate certain parts of his personality.
PD:
We shot him quite low a lot. The classic hero framing is to shoot low, you know, so because he’s because he’s a very ‘particular’ kind of hero we sort of wanted to accentuate that a little bit, exaggerate a little bit, you know, and play a little bit with that visual language. We went maybe a little lower than you normally would as a way to deflate the character. Our framing of him was slightly ironic, I think.
AD: What was the most challenging or most difficult sequence to lens?
PD:
Probably Madripoor. At one point, we were looking at going to Vietnam or Bangkok, and we ended up shooting it in a little town in Georgia called Griffin in a back alley. We really were trying to establish a new world. We were hiding a lot of stuff there as well. That really was the biggest sleight of hand that we pulled on the whole show. It was really enjoyable, but, just in terms of being technically challenging, that was probably the most difficult.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

I'm tempted to roll my eyes at the use of "lensing." I've never heard (or seen) "lens" used as a verb before, though I guess it can be. I think I'll still roll my eyes. 🙄

😉

• Love 1

TFATWS nominees survived to Second/Final Round voting for the 2021 Primetimer Awards in the following categories (voting opened today and ends Jun 29)...
https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/3310-annual-awards-show-the-primetimers/

Best Stunt
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120089-best-stunt/

Asskicker: Favorite Badass
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120043-asskicker-favorite-badass/

It Just Wouldn't Be The Same Without You: Favorite Lead Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120042-it-just-wouldnt-be-the-same-without-you-favorite-lead-character/

Music To My Ears: Favorite Musical Moment
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120041-music-to-my-ears-favorite-musical-moment/

Ugh, Not You Again: Least Entertaining Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120012-ugh-not-you-again-least-entertaining-villain/

Whaaaat! Are You Effing Kidding Me?: Biggest Plot Point Letdown
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120010-whaaaat-are-you-effing-kidding-me-biggest-plot-point-letdown

Not Just A Prop: Favorite Performance By An Inanimate Object
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119989-not-just-a-prop-favorite-performance-by-an-inanimate-object/

We Heart Bad Boys: Favorite Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119986-we-heart-bad-boys-favorite-villain/

Aw Yessss!: Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119947-aw-yessss-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year

My New Happy Place: Favorite New Show Of The Season
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119945-my-new-happy-place-favorite-new-show-of-the-season/

LMFAO: Funniest Scene From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119944-lmfao-funniest-scene-from-a-scripted-show

That Guy Used To Suck: Favorite Character Redemption Arc
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119934-that-guy-used-to-suck-favorite-character-redemption-arc/

• Love 1
(edited)

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige Says The Pandemic Only "Twisted" One Planned Element Of Phase 4
Josh Wilding   Jul 5, 2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/black_widow/marvel-studios-president-kevin-feige-says-the-pandemic-only-twisted-one-planned-element-of-phase-4-a186167#gs.51jebr 

During a recent interview with On The Red Carpet at the Black Widow premiere, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige was asked just how much things changed because of the pandemic. Surprisingly, he revealed that only one thing ended up being "twisted" as a result of these delays.

"There's also an Easter egg that originally was going to appear first in Black Widow and then show up in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and because [of] the pandemic, [it's] the only thing in our Phase Four that's twisted a little bit," Feige confirmed.

"So, for fans that watched Falcon and the Winter Soldier, there's an Easter egg waiting for them in this film."

Considering the fact that - SPOILER WARNING! - it's previously been reported that Julia Louis-Dreyfus was supposed to first appear as Valentina Allegra de Fontaine in Black Widow, chances are that's what Feige is talking about here. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Nominations for AM, DB and WR (but nothing for SS)... 😞

HOLLYWOOD CRITICS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS FOR THE INAUGURAL HCA TV AWARDS 
https://hollywoodcriticsassociation.com/ted-lasso-the-handmaids-tale-and-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-lead-inaugural-hca-tv-awards-nominations/ 

Thursday, July 8, 2021 (Los Angeles, CA)Ghostbusters: Afterlife’s Mckenna Grace and Home Before Dark’s Brooklynn Prince announced the complete list of nominees for the 1st Annual HCA TV Awards via a live stream earlier today on the organization’s official YouTube Channel. 
The Inaugural HCA TV Awards ceremony will be held at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles on August 22, 2021. 
Best Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama (5) 
Anthony Mackie – The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+)
Josh O’ Connor – The Crown (Netflix)
Karl Urban – The Boys (Amazon Prime Video)
Pedro Pascal – The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Regé-Jean Page – Bridgerton (Netflix)
Best Supporting Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama (7)
Bradley Whitford – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
Daniel Brühl – The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+)
Giancarlo Esposito – The Boys (Amazon Prime Video)
Giancarlo Esposito – The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Rupert Grint – Servant (Apple TV+)
Tobias Menzies – The Crown (Netflix)
Wyatt Russell – The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Disney+)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

TFATWS comments from Part 1 of a two-part interview with Kevin Feige (recently conducted by Rotten Tomatoes)...

Kevin Feige Breaks Down the MCU’s Phase 4 – Part 1: ‘WandaVision,’ ‘Falcon,’ ‘Loki' & ‘Black Widow’
Rotten Tomatoes   Jul 8, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8Dbk-SLmk

-- Kevin Feige: "Seeing audiences respond for characters - that the characters they were not expecting, or that they were not asking for. I wouldn't say there was a huge contingency of people banging down the door for Agatha Harkness to appear in the MCU. But she's a great character, portrayed by great actress. And by the first few episodes, people are asking, where is she going to show up again? What else is she going to do? I think the same thing's happening right now with John Walker from the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series, and certainly with Mobius M. Mobius, as portrayed by Owen Wilson in the Loki series. So that is something that is so important to the MCU, is including new characters. The comic is filled with many lifetimes of spectacular characters. Uh, and when you find the best actors to portray them, uh, it can quickly go from - from an audience never hearing of a character to them upset with us that we haven't already announced their own standalone movie. And that makes us all very happy."

-- Kevin Feige: "Of primary importance was allowing Anthony Mackie to, um, to show the full range of what Anthony Mackie can do. Such an amazing, amazing actor. And same thing with Sebastian Stan as, uh, as Bucky Barnes. But when Old Man Steve Rogers handed the shield to Sam Wilson at the end of Endgame, you could see the complexity in Anthony's performance there. Old Man Cap says, 'How does it feel?' And Sam says, 'Like it belongs to somebody else.' And Old Man Steve says, you know, 'It doesn't. It's yours.' And that it wouldn't be that simple - it wouldn't be that simple for anyone to step into those shoes, um, that Steve Rogers had worn, but particularly for Sam Wilson wearing the red, white and blue in America would be - would be complex. And - and that is what we were interested in exploring, that's what Anthony was interested in exploring, um, our fellow producers, Zoe and Nate Moore, uh, and - and thankfully when Malcom Spellman, our head writer, came on, is really when all of that, um, turned into the series that you saw. Um, a series that he had written with his - with his, uh, writing staff, um, before the pandemic. We started shooting that before lockdown, so in 2019. ... Some people have asked, um, 'Were you surprised that it became even more relevant after 2020, what we've gone through?' And certainly what Malcom says is, well, it was relevant in 2019 as well. It's been relevant for hundreds of years, which is exactly correct. And figuring out a way to both wear the red, white and blue with pride and acknowledge the past at the same time seemed like a, uh, interesting needle to thread and one that we needed a filmmaker like Kari Skoagland and writer like Malcolm Spellman and his team to pull off."

The 25 Most Heartbreaking TV Character Deaths of the Year (So Far)
By Team TVLine / July 9 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-deaths-2021-major-characters-dead-photos/ 

Lemar, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
John Walker’s best friend and right-hand man met a sudden and thoroughly unexpected end, after a super soldier serum-powered Karli Morgenthau sent him flying into a stone column, killing him instantly. Given Lemar’s history as Battlestar in the Marvel comics, we didn’t expect him to perish so abruptly in the Disney+ series — nor did we expect John’s brutal act of revenge on the Flag Smashers that followed moments later.

Date of Death: April 9, 2021

Edited by tv echo