Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Sam and Bucky In the News!

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Much more traditional Marvel than WV and it's interesting that in the original plan this would have come out first. 

Yes, it does look a lot more traditional and I have to be honest, I'm sad about that. The weirdness of WandaVision is what I want from Marvel these days. Marvel has always gone down weird trajectories and pathways. To see it play out on screen is a delight.

I mean, they could just have Sam actually be able to talk to birds. That's the kind of weirdness I'm looking for!

• Love 6

I am SO hyped for this!  I love the couples therapy approach (and good call on that fun Michael Early show...I think it was called Common Law...I really enjoyed it), and the action and conspiracy vibe is feels like TWS.  I'm really intrigued...Zemo is a good villain, but mostly because Bruhl is REALLY good.  IMO, our best Marvel villains no matter how poorly drawn are saved by extraordinary actors (like, Zemo, or Loki...Killmonger fits a villain portrayed by a great actor, but he is thankfully drawn super well too).   I'm not as familiar with Agent 13/Sharon, but I would love to see Peggy's niece as a GD badass vs. a lame possible love interest.   

Stan and Mackie have such gorgeous, natural chaotic energy, and I'm here to see how to goes.  The bar is super high, IMO, b/c of the low expectations/high reward payoff scenario coming from Wandavision. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Yes, it does look a lot more traditional and I have to be honest, I'm sad about that. The weirdness of WandaVision is what I want from Marvel these days.

I'm ok with WandaVison but that is about it. I don't think it's really weird but that may be because after shows like Doom Patrol and The Boys, WandaVision is pretty mild.

I haven't read the comics but I guessed the storyline and villain pretty early (waiting to confirm on the villain).

I know people who have read the comics and people who are fans of the MCU and most are giving the show a miss. They weren't sitcoms fans so that wasn't a draw neither is Wanda or Vision. They are however going to watch TFAWS and Loki. 

Of all the MCU shows, this is the show I am most excited about. I love the dynamic of Sam and Bucky in CW and to have it continue on in a series is great. Also I want more of Bucky's story. What I am excited abut the most is seeing Bucky in this time. I can't wait to see how he's adapting to life in the modern world and life without Steve.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I hope the counselor is a recurring character. Because the boys clearly need some adult supervision.

That was Amy Aquino, wasn't it? I definitely hope she's a regular, I've always loved her as an actor and she's great as the no-nonsense voice of reason.

Bucky and Sam as antagonistic jerks who will ultimately become best bros is going to be a lot of fun. I still have a lot of bitterness about Civil War, and Bucky's only role being a macguffin for Steve and Tony to fight over, so actually getting to see him become a real character and deal with his past will be great.

I really hope Sharon is just the third leg of a bickering, sibling triumvirate, and not a love interest for either of the guys.

45 minutes ago, xfuse said:

I know people who have read the comics and people who are fans of the MCU and most are giving the show a miss. They weren't sitcoms fans so that wasn't a draw neither is Wanda or Vision. They are however going to watch TFAWS and Loki. 

I haven't watched WandaVision yet, but I'm under the impression it's not based on any comic book story. Perhaps there are shades of Avengers: Disassembled and House of M in Wanda creating her own universe, as a result of losing Vision and her kids, but it seems very different.

I will watch it, but doubt I'll get many of the sitcom references, as the only classic American sitcoms I've ever watched are MASH and Cheers.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

What I am excited abut the most is seeing Bucky in this time. I can't wait to see how he's adapting to life in the modern world and life without Steve.  

I am totally getting the sense that he is hanging out with Sam because he has nothing better to do. One thing I am already impressed by is how high budget this thing looks. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am totally getting the sense that he is hanging out with Sam because he has nothing better to do.

He tried hanging out with the VA support group but nobody was interested unless he talked about Steve..... 

• LOL 2
20 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am totally getting the sense that he is hanging out with Sam because he has nothing better to do. One thing I am already impressed by is how high budget this thing looks. 

I hope he finds more purpose than that. One of the best aspects of the comic book was that Bucky was driven to protect and carry on Steve's legacy. He had a team around him - Natasha, Sam and, to a lesser extent, Tony and Sharon - who were supportive and helped him come to terms with his past, and with being able to stand in Steve's shoes.

• Love 3

I'm here for the Sharon that stood up to Rumlow, gave the kids their weapons back and tried to kick the Winter Soldier's ass. Hopefully they won't make her a love interest because Marvel's track record in that department mostly sucks IMO.  My noromo self would like it if the story concentrates on Bucky's adaptation to the world now and Sam dealing with the world not wanting a black CA that thinks like the old one did. I'm feeling hopeful about it. Plus, you know, lots of cool fights and shit. I'm loving WandaVision but I hope each show has its own tone.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, paigow said:

He always has a home in Wakanda

True but Wakanda might be going through its own turmoil post Snap and post T'Challa. And whilst he's certainly welcome there he might feel like he's constantly taking people's charity and feel unmoored with everything that's happened. 

With Sam, there's a connection and action, even if their relationship is fraught at first and he lacks his own purpose. 

• Love 2

Emily VanCamp Says The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Is "Good Old-Fashioned Action"
By LAUREN PIESTER FEB 11, 2021
https://www.eonline.com/news/1237518/emily-vancamp-says-the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-is-good-old-fashioned-action 

E! News talked to VanCamp ahead of a particularly distressing episode of Fox's The Resident, just after the release of the latest Falcon and Winter Soldier trailer. Sharon appears briefly in the trailer, kicking ass as she is known to do.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is just the second of the planned Marvel TV shows coming to Disney+, and currently, all we've got to compare it to is WandaVision—a trippy, mind-bending and time-bending series led by a witch with ties to a multiverse. Anything could happen and anyone could appear at any time, and the internet is filled with intricate theories, and we asked VanCamp if we could expect anything similar, surprise-wise, from Falcon

"I think there are elements of that, but I also think that you can kind of count on just good old-fashioned action that people love from those movies," she said. "There are multiple levels to Falcon and Winter Soldier that I think people will appreciate." 
Now, VanCamp just gets to focus on the one job while she waits for the world to get to see The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which premieres March 19 on Disney+.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

How Long Are Marvel's Disney+ Shows? Kevin Feige Talks 'Loki', 'Falcon and the Winter Soldier', and 'She-Hulk'
BY MATT GOLDBERG   JAN 11, 2021
https://collider.com/how-long-are-marvel-disney-plus-shows-episodes/

We spoke to Kevin Feige at the press day for Marvel Studios’ first TV show, WandaVision, and asked what fans can expect in terms of runtimes for the MCU’s upcoming series.
“Well, we're looking a little differently. We're looking at it as developing them as either six hour-episodes, or nine or 10 half-hour episodes,” said Feige. “So, for instance, WandaVision started that way and Falcon and the Winter Soldier as 30 minutes, but because it's streaming, it's Disney+, and the rules have blurred over the years, yes. Some can be 23 minutes. Some can be much longer than that. But She-Hulk, for instance, is being developed as 10 30-minute episodes. Some will be longer and some will be shorter. Loki, Falcon and the Winter Soldier is being developed as six 40-50-minute episodes.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Marvel's Kevin Feige Talks 'WandaVision' Future, Netflix's Heroes and R-Ratings
FEBRUARY 24, 2021 11:27AM by Aaron Couch
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-kevin-feige-talks-wandavision-future-netflixs-heroes-and-r-ratings

On March 18, Marvel will debut Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan's Falcon & The Winter Soldier, with Feige confirming the series will consist of six, roughly one-hour episodes. Feige noted that six hours is the sweet spot the studio has found for their series. In the case of WandaVision, that meant nine, slightly shorter episodes.

"The shows are not inexpensive," said Feige. "The per-episode cost is high to get that bar."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Georges St-Pierre Says Fan Theories Could Be ‘Even Bigger’ in ‘Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Than in ‘WandaVision’
BYJORDAN ROSE    MARCH 9, 2021
https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/georges-st-pierre-fan-theories-even-bigger-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-wandavision 

As Disney+ prepares to unveil its next Marvel original series, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, MMA legend Georges St-Pierre visited Complex’s Load Management podcast to talk about his involvement in the show, and if fan theories will play a part the way they did with WandaVision.

“It could be even bigger,” said about the online sleuthing that might occur once the show debuts “It’s huge. They put so much budget into this thing it’s incredible.”
When asked what fans should expect from his character in the show, St-Pierre was honest in saying that even he was left in the dark about certain aspects of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. “I only know what I needed to know,” he said. “I don’t know the whole story, to tell you the truth. And even if I wanted to tell you stuff, I couldn’t. They’re very good at hiding stuff.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Falcon and Winter Soldier | Marvel Studios Legends | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Mar 8, 2021

Marvel Chief Kevin Feige on Anthony Mackie’s Big ‘Falcon’ Moment, Fate of Captain America’s Shield
By Matt Donnelly     March 9, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/kevin-feige-anthony-mackie-faclon-winter-solider-cap-shield-1234924410/

Ahead of the debut, Marvel’s chief creative officer Kevin Feige connected with Variety to discuss our reigning cover star Anthony Mackie, who is stepping up to leading man status in a way his Marvel character Sam Wilson (the titular Falcon) has never done before.
What is your earliest memory of Anthony? 
The first experience was him being the unanimous first choice to play the character. We just offered him the role, in my memory, he did not audition. That’s only happened a handful of times at Marvel. Mr. Mackie was one of those times. I thought he would be great as this character. As we often do, when we’re casting, you cast for the immediate role at hand — which was Sam Wilson in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” but if it all goes well, that can grow and evolve into numerous things. You want an actor who can do it all, which of course, Anthony can.

What’s interesting about a hero like Falcon is that he is not an alien, or a royal, but someone representing the Black American experience.
Sam Wilson as played by Mackie is different than a Thor or a Panther, in that he’s not a king from another planet or another country, one hundred percent. That’s always what he was from the minute Captain America said, “On your left!” running around the Mall in Washington D.C.

He’s a man, and he’s an African American man. He’s got experience in the military, he’s got experience doing grief counseling with soldiers with PTSD. That’s how Steve Rogers initially developed this friendship with him. What’s so great about the move to Disney Plus long form is that we get to see much more of these characters. Mackie has this amazing presence, whether he’s on screen for six seconds or six hours. In “Endgame,” it was closer to six seconds. All along we’ve been asking, “Where did he grow up? Who is his family?” We want to know more about this guy being thrown into this situation and handling it spectacularly well considering he’s just a man. That’s what the show is about. This man, this Black man in particular, in the Marvel version of the world outside our window.

What has Anthony contributed to the growth of this character over time? 
He’s good with a zinger, an action moment, and is also incredibly poignant. What I think is great, and not dissimilar to the best of our actors, is when they start becoming as inspirational offscreen as they are on screen. I think Mackie, in his press and on set making this series, has become a leader that we look to for guidance in many ways.

I don’t think there’s been much said, anecdotally, about the decision to hand Sam Wilson the Captain America shield in “Endgame.” When did you decide, and what was that day on set like? 
The day we decided, we were in the conference room — the one that feels like we spend half of our lives in in Atlanta — cracking the story. The shield had gone to a few people in the comic books in the past, but four years ago, it did seem like some of the great potential of those storylines and the journey Sam and Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) had gone on over the course of the films, it seemed right that he would hand it to Sam.

When we shot it — everything about those scenes were surprisingly poignant and emotional on the day. We’d done Tony Stark’s funeral, or his “wedding,” which was our code name for it. It was actually Mackie and Sebastian that came up with the blocking for the scene by the bench at the end of “Endgame.” They walk up to Steve Rogers together. As it was scripted, only Sam noticed this older gentleman sitting on a bench. They came up with this notion that they start to walk together, and then Sam steps forward. Even the notion of him holding the shield and saying, “it feels like it belongs to somebody else.”

It really was a wonderful convergence as we were creating the end of the Infinity Saga, Bob Iger told us what Disney Plus would become. What had been a classic passing of the torch from one hero to another at the end of “Endgame” suddenly opened up our potential to tell a whole story about that. What does it really mean for somebody to step into those shoes? And not just somebody, but a Black man in the present day. That’s what Mackie and our head writer Malcom Spellman and all of us didn’t want to shy away from.

With the loss of Chadwick Boseman, it feels like Anthony is the most prominent man of color In the Marvel universe right now. 
The repercussions of losing Chad are vast. Being honest in our storytelling is something that Chad and Ryan Coogler, of course, always want us to lead the charge on, and that’s continuing with Mackie and this show.
What will we learn about Sam Wilson/The Falcon in this project? 
For us it was, let’s learn much more about Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes [Sebastian Stan]. We’ve seen quite a bit of Bucky’s back story over the years, the horrors he went through. Sam Wilson, where did he come from and what is his backstory? What does that mean, especially in a post-blip world, and what is he going to do with that shield? I think there are a lot of expectations and presumptions about — you get handed an icon, you become that icon. Is that easy? Spoiler alert, it is not.
Is there on indelible Anthony Mackie workplace moment that will stay with you? 
There are numerous ones, and they’re all about the duality of Mackie — a gigantically boisterous personality who is also so thoughtful and articulate in quiet moments. We were on a location I will not reveal, and there was a lake. There Mackie was with a fishing rod, fishing about two feet away from a “No Fishing” sign. That image just stuck with me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Co-workers Featurette | Marvel Studios' The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Mar 11, 2021

Plan | Marvel Studios' The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Mar 11, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Falcon Throughout The Marvel Cinematic Universe
Marvel Entertainment   Mar 10, 2021

Winter Soldier Throughout The Marvel Cinematic Universe
Marvel Entertainment   Mar 12, 2021

Exclusive Clip – “What’s The Plan” | The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+ (edited)
Marvel Entertainment   Mar 12, 2021

Does every MCU movie contain the line "I have a plan"?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Is Marvel’s Latest Double Act
By Dave Itzkoff     March 12, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/12/arts/television/falcon-winter-soldier-disney.html

“The Falcon and the Winter Soldier,” consisting of six 45-to-55-minute episodes to be rolled out weekly, offers timely explorations into the nature of patriotism and extremism and the values of inclusivity, diversity and representation, set in a world striving for stability after a global catastrophe.

It is also a series freighted with implications for the Wilson character and for Mackie the actor, who, in a universe with precious few Black heroes, now have the chance to become full-fledged lead characters after long careers as sidekicks.

“I’ve gotten used to being the guy overlooked,” Mackie said. “It’s become part of my brand.”
Barnes, a brainwashed combat veteran who has spent periods of his life in suspended animation, is “someone who is 100 years old and has done nothing but fight,” Spellman said, whereas Wilson has spent his career struggling with “the whole Black excellence thing — the concept of working twice as hard to get half as far.”

“If you want any honesty to them, you cannot avoid all the trauma that Bucky’s been through, and you cannot avoid the fact that Sam is Black,” said Spellman.
As it has with other projects, Marvel is being coy about plot specifics. But the makers of “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” said the series would confront the same questions that the country has been asking itself in recent, turbulent months: Who is an American, and who gets to decide what principles the country stands for? What compels people to take extreme actions in the name of what they believe is patriotism?
“The idea of Captain America is, I am my brother’s keeper,” Mackie said. “Somewhere along the line, we’ve forgotten that. America is the land of opportunity, of freedom, choice and power, and Captain America represents all of that — he represents it for everybody.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Very, very positive media reactions to advance screening of first episode (est. runtime: 48 mins, including credits) - now I'm really excited to watch this series...

CBR:

CinemaBlend:

Collider:

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Some great new interviews...

-- Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan are fun to watch, as always. They both seem like great guys in real life. When asked for a one-sentence description of the series, AM: "Uncovering reality after the Blip."

-- Showrunner Malcolm Spellman's interview is quite insightful - for example, he explains that the one person who could have best guided the post-Thanos world is no longer around: "The fact that Steve [Rogers] is not around keeps the world in chaos." He also noted that Sam and Bucky's relationship was always through their mutual best friend, Steve, even though they've fought numerous battles together, so are they really friends now that Steve is gone? 

-- Director Kari Skogland said that Sam and Bucky are not really friends, they just had a friend in common. She also said that they have two different perspectives about the Captain America shield. She said that Sam and Bucky need each other because of their common experience, even though they have no reason to like each other, so they have to find a way to be friends. She said that Bucky is still "very flawed and unpredictable" and has no family still alive, so he's looking for relevance and family. On the other hand, she said that Sam has family, but questioned whether they've been there for him. She added that both of them need a sense of family and both need friendship and camaraderie, but both don't know how to be vulnerable enough to be open to it.

ANTHONY MACKIE and SEBASTIAN STAN talk 'THE FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER!'
Andrew Freund    Mar 14, 2021

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan on Being Awkward at Parties and More
Black Girl Nerds    Mar 14, 2021

Head Writer Malcolm Spellman on Sam Wilson’s Conflict Between His Identity & Cap’s Shield

Kari Skogland on Sam and Bucky Being Two Sides of the Same Coin

Apparently there was a global press conference yesterday (Sunday) with AM, SS, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, showrunner/writer Malcolm Spellman and director Kari Skoglan...

MY Falcon Winter Soldier Press Conference Interview QUESTION TO THE CAST
The Cosmic Wonder     Mar 14, 2021

‘The Falcon And The Winter Soldier’: Marvel Boss Kevin Feige On Possible Season 2 “Ideas”; Anthony Mackie Teases ‘Black Widow’ Spinoff
By Anthony D'Alessandro     March 14, 2021 
https://deadline.com/2021/03/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-season-2-marvel-kevin-feige-anthony-mackie-black-widow-spinoff-series-1234714048/ 

With the intense fever spurred by Disney+/Marvel’s WandaVision and the anticipation of Friday’s debut of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Marvel Studios President and Chief Creative Officer Kevin Feige was asked again today at the press conference for the new series whether a season 2 is already in the works.

“We get asked (that question) much more in television, because people expect it to be like what they know before: Where’s season 2?” said Feige today, “We approached it like the movies: We better make this great, because we won’t be able to do another one.”

As far as a season 2 goes, Feige simply said “If we’re able to do another one, there’s certainly ideas,” however continued to emphasize the gameplan that he’s already laid out which is like WandaVision, which will continue its storyline into the feature sequel Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, the Marvel Disney+ series and movies will go back and forth” between each other.
... Series director and EP Kari Skogland explained that such movies as the David Lean canon and Midnight Cowboy were influences while for head scribe and EP Malcolm Spellman, his inspirations for the series drew from buddy cop movies like 48 Hours, Rush Hour and the Bad Boys franchise.

“From the beginning, we were making a six hour film,” said Skogland about the six-episode series.
Says Stan about the post-Endgame world of Winter Soldier, “The consequences of Steve missing, has thrown them (Falcon and Winter Soldier) into opposite corners in terms of facing their lives and their demons. They got different things they’re facing, but they’re in similar places in terms of the questions that are asked.”
“He was a fan just like everyone else,” the actor continued, “Sam Wilson was a regular guy who just won the lottery because Black Widow knocked on his door and needed a place to hide.”

Then in a blatant tease, Mackie blurted out today:

“He fell in love, and was hoping to have a spinoff with Black Widow.”

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER Showrunner Explains How The Show Deals With AVENGERS: ENDGAME Fallout
Josh Wilding   March 15, 2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/falcon_and_the_winter_soldier/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-showrunner-explains-how-the-show-deals-with-avengers-endgame-fallout-a183188#gs.vo1vpt 

During yesterday's global press conference for the upcoming Disney+ TV series ahead of its debut this Friday, showrunner and head writer Malcolm Spellman weighed in on how The Falcon and The Winter Soldier will address the fallout from Endgame

"I think what worked out really nicely was that where Endgame leaves off, dispatching Thanos has created a situation where the entire world is dealing with one single issue...which is very familiar to what's going on today," he explained. "Everything is born from that. The villains in this series are responding to that. In fact, every villain in this series would tell you that he or she is a hero."

"The heroes are responding to that in their personal lives, and that A-Story plot is all born from one single organic thing in this continuum from what happened after Endgame," Spellman continued. "That galvanizes and affects everyone on the planet at the same time and creates a nice cohesion and direct lineage to the MCU."

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier: How Anthony Mackie And Sebastian Stan Learned Sam Was Getting The Shield – Exclusive Images
By Ben Travis    March 15, 2021
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/falcon-winter-soldier-anthony-mackie-sebastian-stan-shield-exclusive/

In the new issue of Empire, Mackie and Stan recalled the moment they learned that Sam would be receiving Cap’s shield in Endgame – though they found out in very different ways, with Mackie getting the heads-up from Chris Evans directly while watching a football match with a bunch of other Marvel co-stars, and Stan finding out, er, the day they shot the scene.

“Anthony found out from Chris Evans at a party that I was not invited to,” laughs Stan. As Mackie (who says Stan only wasn't there because he isn't a sports fan) remembers it: “Chris Pratt was holding court, and so [Evans said], ‘Come downstairs, I want to show you something. He was like, ‘Have you seen the final scene?’ I’m like, ‘No.’ So he runs out, gets the script, and he literally sits me on the couch, and the whole time I’m reading it he’s just pacing back and forth like, ‘Oh my God, oh my God!’ It was a fun, emotional moment that we shared with nobody else.” Hence, his co-star had a very different experience. “I found out the day that we were shooting, when someone handed me the scene on the spot in my costume,” says a mock-wounded Stan.
Thankfully, Stan was less worried about who got the shield in that scene, and never expected it to go to Bucky. “It never really made sense to me – he just was not in a place for that, mentally,” he says. “I’m not sure where the character would have gone even if that had happened.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Director Kari Skogland said that Sam and Bucky are not really friends, they just had a friend in common. She also said that they have two different perspectives about the Captain America shield. She said that Sam and Bucky need each other because of their common experience, even though they have no reason to like each other, so they have to find a way to be friends. She said that Bucky is still "very flawed and unpredictable" and has no family still alive, so he's looking for relevance and family. On the other hand, she said that Sam has family, but questioned whether they've been there for him. She added that both of them need a sense of family and both need friendship and camaraderie, but both don't know how to be vulnerable enough to be open to it.

Well then, that sounds like my type of shit lol.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

“Anthony found out from Chris Evans at a party that I was not invited to,” laughs Stan. As Mackie (who says Stan only wasn't there because he isn't a sports fan) remembers it:

I like the not a sports fan thing. My man. 💘

• Love 3

Okay, okay, I'm not made of stone, people. It sounds like they're digging into places I've wanted them to go for a long time and they didn't really have the time to do so before because MOVIES. Now that the herd has been thinned out after the first several phases of MCU they've got some time to dig into some characters a little more.

I still hate Steve's ending in Endgame and wish he were just off in art school while Sam and Bucky take over the super heroing but it's interesting to me that they're delving into Sam's history and recognizing that the blip would be the thing that Steve would have been able to help most with. And Bucky should get some depth too... he's been the MacGuffin for two movies so being an actual character will be a nice change for him.

I was always in but I was so surprised by WV that I wanted to continue down the weird path. Still... there's no reason not to expect some weird here, too.

(Please don't make Sharon a love interest. Please don't make Sharon a love interest. Please don't make Sharon a love interest. Just let her be cool and awesome.)

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Okay, okay, I'm not made of stone, people. It sounds like they're digging into places I've wanted them to go for a long time and they didn't really have the time to do so before because MOVIES. Now that the herd has been thinned out after the first several phases of MCU they've got some time to dig into some characters a little more.

I still hate Steve's ending in Endgame and wish he were just off in art school while Sam and Bucky take over the super heroing but it's interesting to me that they're delving into Sam's history and recognizing that the blip would be the thing that Steve would have been able to help most with. And Bucky should get some depth too... he's been the MacGuffin for two movies so being an actual character will be a nice change for him.

I was always in but I was so surprised by WV that I wanted to continue down the weird path. Still... there's no reason not to expect some weird here, too.

(Please don't make Sharon a love interest. Please don't make Sharon a love interest. Please don't make Sharon a love interest. Just let her be cool and awesome.)

I will be so disappointed if this happens.  There is zero need for romance in this show.

• Love 3

This guy summarized what was revealed during Sunday's global press conference, but apparently they were prohibited from posting video or audio of the entire press conference...

Big Surprises Coming In Falcon Winter Soldier! Full Press Conference Breakdown!
The Cosmic Wonder   Mar 15, 2021

The Falcon and the Winter Solder press conference was held yesterday, March 14th and many important questions were asked in regards to cameos and set ups for the future of the MCU. Big surprises are apparently coming in Marvel's the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series. Could this show introduce new important characters? New organizations like the Weapon X program? This show will explore what it's like for Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes to live without their friend Steve Rogers, Captain America. In this press conference, the cast addresses questions on the show including any surprise cameos and if there's a season 2 coming. 

Intro/Surprises Coming 00:00
Press Conference Opening Questions 2:16
New Falcon and New Bucky 3:55
Q&A Begins 6:10
Season 2 Coming? 6:17
Sam as New Captain America 7:03
Sam and Buckys "Bromance" Without Steve 8:05
Big Surprises Coming 8:37
Will Hydra Return? 8:53
Any Setups for the MCU Future? 9:43
My question - Leading Future Avengers? - 10:26

More media interviews...

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER Interview - Anthony Mackie and Sebastian - Avengers: Endgame
FOX 5 Washington DC    Mar 15, 2021

Kevin McCarthy (Twitter/Instagram: @kevinmccarthytv) spoke with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan for "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier".

I did not quote certain sections of the below article that seemed too spoilery, so you can go to the  link below to read the entire interview (if you want)...

‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Showrunner Malcolm Spellman Wants to Revolutionize What a Marvel Hero Can Be [Interview]
Posted on Monday, March 15th, 2021 by Jacob Hall
https://www.slashfilm.com/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-showrunner-interview/

But showrunner Malcolm Spellman wants to make it clear: this is a show about the here and now. Avengers: Endgame concluded with Steve Rogers handing his shield, and the mantle of Captain America, to Sam Wilson. But what does that actually mean? Not just for Sam – a Black man being asked to wear and wield the stars and stripes – but for the rest of the world? Those kinds of questions power The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Spellman says those kinds of questions will continue to fuel the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
With these two title characters, you’re presented with a gift: two characters audiences already love, but who’ve been supporting characters and who haven’t been fleshed out. So you have characters we’re ready to learn about and there are a lot of questions for you as a writer to start answering. So what were the big questions you knew you had to ask about Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes?
What I loved about it is all the stuff we wanted to tackle for the characters was apparent and boxed up and ready to unpack. Meaning this: we know Bucky has done awful stuff for the last eighty, 85 years, right? We know he’s been manipulated and hasn’t been in his right mind. And we know that he’s never really had a second to breathe or become an actual human being. The audience knows that also, right? On top of that, Bucky is 106 years old and has never been present in one era long enough to be of that moment, so the out of place-ness for him is extraordinary. Again, the audience knows all that, so for us, what we wanted to tackle with him was obvious. It allowed everybody to deal with character issues in a very human way with a shorthand that the audience is going to have.

Same thing with Sam. The reason I came to this project was the idea of a Black man confronting that shield and the stars and stripes, right? And the ambivalent feelings I would have about it, obviously Sam would. That wasn’t lost on [actor Anthony] Mackie or Nate Moore, who is our Marvel exec. We knew when we dove deep into Sam, we wanted to position him in a way that felt relevant to today so that journey about whether he says yes – you’ve seen the pilot – or no, creates great emotion and a struggle and a story that people in the real world can be like, “Man, I get that, and that’s compelling.”

I read some of the recent-ish comics where Sam takes up the mantle of Captain America, and it struck me as powerful, the idea of him having all the power to do this job, but society itself has programmed him with doubt. That was something that I think registers in this episode really well.
We dig deeper and deeper and deeper into that. When you see how it confronts him, and the answer is not the obvious answer, I hope it’s going to be very satisfying. Because yeah, you can’t be honest in your storytelling and just have Sam pick up after Endgame and take off and fight battles, you know what I’m saying? That would be disrespectful to him, that would be disrespectful to our culture, and it would be bad storytelling. So yeah, that doubt is what fuels Sam’s journey, and that doubt is rooted in real stuff.
I think it would be irresponsible to discuss the idea of someone putting on the Captain America costume without talking about what that actually means to people around the world.
That’s exactly right. That’s what this whole journey’s about, and part of what this series is about is, as Marvel moves into this next Phase, we wanted heroes that felt like they are of the times. You know what I’m saying? We didn’t want heroes who felt like they could be fighting crime twenty, thirty years ago. The DNA – how they walk, how they talk, what they believe, and what they’ve been through – needed to resonate with young people and old people alike of the 2020s moving forward. It had to happen. It’s about the next Phase.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Partners | Marvel Studios’ The Falcon and The Winter Soldier | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Mar 16, 2021

Interviews with the Cast of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Versability    Mar 15, 2021

Anthony Mackie & Sebastian Stan Interview: The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
Screen Rant Plus   Mar 16, 2021

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Interview with Director Kari Skogland
Nerdist   Mar 16, 2021

O Captain, my Captain! How The Falcon and the Winter Soldier confronts the legacy of America's hero
By Nick Romano    March 16, 2021
 https://ew.com/tv/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-digital-cover/ 

It was March 2014 when the cast of Captain America: The Winter Soldier assembled in London for the U.K. leg of their international press tour. For some, namely Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson, this wasn't their first rodeo with Marvel Studios. They knew their talking points and how to regale reporters at the press conference by swapping war stories and feeding off each other's energy. Sebastian Stan, only on his second outing in the franchise, was more reserved. He offered warm smiles and laughed along with the group's jokes, but kept his own responses somewhat brief. When asked about any on-set injuries that might have incurred, he said. "I honestly wouldn't feel anything until I was in the car on the way home, when I couldn't get out of the seat. But I'm sure we hurt each other."

On his left, Anthony Mackie chimed in. "You didn't hurt me," he said in a soft, almost amorous tone as they locked eyes. This made the audience chuckle. Stan livened up, volleying back what Mackie served. "You?! This is the first time I'm seeing you," he joked.

Mackie had inadvertently solved a small problem for the Disney publicists managing that tour. "They were worried that I didn't talk a lot. I get very uncomfortable," Stan admits to EW, Zooming in from Vancouver for a chat with his New Orleans-based costar this past January. "They're like, 'Just put him in with Anthony, okay? They're going to talk.' And I was talking!" he says. "By the end, I was very lively, and it really is thanks to him."

Mackie agrees. "I'm the ketchup to Sebastian's French fries."

Stan can't help but smile. "Way to put a button on it, and then some!"

... As it happens, head writer Malcolm Spellman points to a scene from that film [Captain America: Civil War] as "the moment this show was born." Fans know it well: a cramped Bucky in the back of an old Volkswagen Beetle asking Sam, "Can you move your seat up?" Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, also looks to the duo's battle with Spider-Man later in Civil War, which offered an opportunity for more banter. "They're so funny," Feige says. "Those are the two moments that we [at Marvel Studios] would watch and go, 'I want to watch that! I want to watch them together more!'"
The mandate, Spellman recalls of pitching the show, was "this cannot be TV." Instead, he decided with director Kari Skogland and the writers' room to make each episode "feel like an event, not just as far as the spectacle on the screen, but the way you tell the story." Skogland says, "Everybody went into this saying we're making a six-hour feature. We'll break it up so ultimately it will look like television, but it will feel like a six-hour feature." Feige did note on the virtual Television Critics Association press tour in February that these "shows are not inexpensive. The per-episode cost is very high."

Mackie had some reservations, let's say, about this approach when he met separately with Marvel months after Endgame. "I was horrified," he says of "being a guinea pig for the first [TV] spin-off of a Marvel movie." He continues, "You're in this amazing franchise and everything works. The last thing you want to do is be the lead of the first thing that does not work, 'cause that's 100 percent you. I don't want to be the guy that destroys an entire Marvel franchise."

He felt a bit more at ease when Feige caught up with him before the start of filming. "I won't let you suck," he promised his star. But it was watching the finished episodes and what Marvel did with WandaVision that boosted Mackie's confidence. Now, the actor feels like "Marvel has revolutionized the game of cinema" by bringing "the scope and magnitude" of the big screen to the small one. "If Kevin says it won't be s---, I would bank on that," he says.

Spoiler

Spellman and Skogland were greatly informed by Civil War in shaping the arc of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. It's the movie that plays with the Sam and Bucky dynamic, Emily VanCamp's Sharon Carter, and Brühl's Zemo — all of which feature prominently in the series. Zemo was last being carted away to a German prison over a plot to pit the Avengers against each other as recompense for his family who died in Sokovia. "He's had a lot of time in that prison cell to read a lot, to think a lot. So, you can be sure that he's up to no good," Brühl promises."Think about what Zemo's been through and what motivates him," Spellman adds. "Now imagine you have six episodes to dig and allow him to feel the way a person would feel if someone had destroyed his country and his family."
The mask alone changed Bruhl's performance. In Civil War, Zemo was pulling the strings off in the periphery. His new costume, complete with a dramatic collared coat, now hints towards the character's "aristocratic background," the actor says. "I felt like I'm a baron."

While Bruhl can't reveal too much about the villain's next plot, there are some clues. "Superheroes should not be allowed to exist," Zemo declares in the trailers for the Marvel show. Spellman promises that "is not a fleeting line."

"It is true that Zemo in the past, and possibly also in the present, is strictly against super-soldiers, because he has seen the danger that this can cause," Bruhl says. "That is why he has lost his whole family in the Sokovian war. This is something that bothers Zemo and makes him think a lot."

Speaking of masked menaces, actress Erin Kellyman has been spotted in preview footage sporting a black mask displaying a handprint among dozens of likewise adorned allies. This organization, which fans may have already correctly guessed, seems to display similar super-soldier abilities. "Erin's going to be completely different than anyone's expecting," Spellman teases. "I can't go into it, but that'll be fun because people think they know, and they don't."

Skogland elaborates a bit further. "We are embracing the whole notion that it's a slippery slope and that villains don't always look like villains," she says. "You sometimes don't even know you're a villain until it hits you in the face."

These adversaries are "rooted in legitimate human motivations," as well as "where our world is going, both good and bad," Spellman says. He calls Zemo "a foil of the times," in that "it is his opinions on the things that are happening that are going to make people draw connections to the real world."

VanCamp agrees The Falcon and the Winter Soldier feels "relevant" in our current moment. Her character, Sharon, has been on the run from the government since restoring Cap's shield in Civil War, and Spellman promises we'll discover where she's been all this time. "Sharon really gets to… I'll use the term 'grow up,'" he says, "not because of age. Sharon emerges as a grown-up now because her life is being brought to bear through the character."
... Feige confirms to EW that those specific details were "already free and clear" for them to use before the acquisition, but there are certain things coming in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier that will reflect that larger sandbox. He doesn't want to set expectations too high, but teases, "There's a setting in particular that people have already glimpsed in some of the trailers that is a setting from the Marvel Comics that was not previously available to us, but it's more of an Easter egg in and of itself."

Spoiler

The U.S. government has its own set of feelings on the shield, particularly how it pertains to one John Walker. Wyatt Russell enters the MCU in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier as the character known as U.S. Agent in the comics. According to Marvel lore, he's the government's pick to succeed Steve as Captain America. "He's a complicated character. That's what drew me to him," Russell says of the role. "It'll be fun seeing how all three of these guys interact in terms of what their identity is. I think that I can safely say that it's a show about identity and what it means to each specific person."

"That character from the books, what he represents is extremely relevant," Spellman remarks. "We shifted away from the books a little bit, so we added some very, very different dimensions, especially once Wyatt got involved and started really inhabiting the character. But the spirit, all you've got to do is read Marvel comics and then imagine that we didn't do half of what's in the books. That's my way of saying I can't talk about Wyatt."

It's more than a question of what does the symbol of Captain America mean in today's world. It's about, more simply, what is a hero?

"Traditionally, a hero has been painted as being a warrior or a soldier of some kind, and now a hero embraces a whole other layer of responsible citizen, which is first responder, and more so than ever in our today's international story," Skogland says. "Frontline first responders, which is also what Sam is, become very much an integrated part of our exploration of what is a hero."

The answers to these questions will have drastic impacts on the MCU moving forward. Similar to how WandaVision leads directly into the film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Spellman says he can think of three projects off the top of his head that tie into The Falcon and the Winter Soldier that he's "not allowed to talk about." Feige confirmed that Marvel is indeed planning multiple seasons for some of the Disney+ shows, but whether that pertains to this one in particular veers into "the spoiler realm," he says. "We have a future charted for characters post-Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I don't want to say much more than that."

Edited by tv echo

Anthony Mackie & Sebastian Stan Talk About Chemistry and Working Together | Entertainment Weekly
Entertainment Weekly    Mar 16, 2021

Anthony Mackie & Sebastian Stan Talk ‘Falcon and the Winter Soldier,’ Plus: Those ‘Star Wars’ Rumors
extratv   Mar 16, 2021

8 Things We Learned from ‘The Falcon and The Winter Soldier’ Press Conference
BY CHRISTINE DINH    March 17, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/falcon-winter-soldier-global-press-conference-disney-plus 

... Both the original series for Disney+ and the theatrical film releases have equal weight in the MCU narrative.

“Just because it's on TV doesn't mean it's not going to be as big as it possibly could be,” said Feige. “We were working just as hard on it [as the films] and putting all of our blood, sweat, and tears into [it].”
“The idea of Sam Wilson—he’s always evolved in the world of Marvel comic books, and now he's evolved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” stated Mackie. “As African American culture evolved, Stan Lee evolved him in the comic book into different incarnations of himself.  I'm excited for everyone to see the new and improved Sam Wilson.”
Stan credits Spellman for honing in on Bucky’s humor that marries Bucky’s dynamic with Sam and matches his own personal dynamic with Mackie — and that offered more areas of Bucky to uncover. “We’re finally zooming in on his quest for identity and, and in terms of really accepting his past and sort of re-educating himself about the world that he's currently in,” noted Stan. “The ideals and principles he might've lived by and been driven by at one point that perhaps no longer really serve him the same way. He’s kind of in an interesting trajectory when we start out the show and, obviously, that's always exciting for an actor.”
"Tonally, you can go from as gritty as 48 Hours to as comedic as Rush Hour, but in between there's sort of like the first Lethal Weapon and the first Bad Boys,” stated Spellman. “What we liked about it was it allows Sebastian and Anthony to do what they do and create that magic, but also allows the broader creative to — if you need to take on real issues or if you need to get into something very Marvel-y, it's a very, very durable form of storytelling." 
Elaborating on one of the final scenes of Avengers: Endgame, where an older Steve Rogers passes his Captain America shield to Sam Wilson, Mackie explored some of Sam’s internal thoughts, “Sam's whole thing is he went on this journey, this Avenger journey, over six movies with Steve, because of his respect and admiration for Steve. When Captain America shows up at your door, you answer it. That being said, it’s the pain, the idea of not being able to go on these missions. Not being able to help his friend. There's still people out there that really appreciate camaraderie and friendship. Sam is one of those people. He’s just like everybody else, you don't want to see Steve Rogers go away. You don't want to see Captain America go away.  Because just like Captain America was your captain, Captain America was Sam Wilson's captain. That's why he says at the end of Endgame, it feels like when he's holding his shield, it feels like it someone else's. It feels like it's yours.”
Without going too far with the antagonists of the series, Spellman offered, that in the post-Endgame world, “Thanos has created this situation, or dispatching Thanos, has created a situation where the entire world is dealing with one single issue. The villains in this series are responding to that. In fact, every villain will tell you that he or she is a hero. Heroes are responding to that in their personal lives. It's all born from one single, organic thing.  And this continuum from what happens, after Endgame, that sort of galvanizes and affects everybody on the planet the same time and creates a nice cohesion, and direct lineage to the MCU.”
“The consequences of Steve missing has thrown [Sam and Bucky] into opposite corners in terms of facing their lives and their demons,” reflected Stan. “They got different things they’re facing, but they’re in similar places in terms of the questions that are asked.”

“The whole subject of PTSD and the experience that they both share as soldiers, as men who have served, is one of the things that brings them together,” continued Stan. “There's sort of a bit of an honor code between them even though they come from different ideas or opinions about things, there's a mutual respect…And as everybody knows, PTSD is not something you're done with, it's really something that one has to continue to grow with and to become better at dealing with. Obviously, it's a major part of our show and grounds both of these characters in realistic ways.” 
For now, get ready to go deep with Sam and Bucky’s story, starting this Friday. "The characters of Bucky and Sam are essential to the MCU,” Feige said. “As they change, or as they evolve, or whatever they go through, could and should have a big impact on the MCU. There can be character shifts that have massive, massive implications for the stories we're telling in the future,” before including, “Not everything is world-shattering to the point of bringing in some giant element.” Marvel Studios plans to tell stories of all scale.

FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER Writer Confirms The Identity Of Danny Ramirez's SPOILER Character - EXCLUSIVE
KingPatel [Rohan Patel]   3/16/2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/falcon_and_the_winter_soldier/falcon-and-winter-soldier-writer-confirms-the-identity-of-danny-ramirezs-spoiler-character-exclusive-a183247#gs.vuzyx8

With the series premiere nearly upon us, we were recently able to sit down with head writer Malcolm Spellman to chat with him about his first major Marvel Studios project, and in our conversation, he briefly references a previously unknown character played by Danny Ramirez (Top Gun: Maverick; The Gifted) that makes a pivotal appearance in the series premiere. 

Spoiler

While asking him about Ramirez's character, Spellman seemingly confirms that the actor is playing someone named Joaquin, saying "I think Joaquin was asking the same question in the first episode... (more later!)"

While we don't get a last name, the only notable "Joaquin" in the history of Marvel Comics that has any serious ties to Sam Wilson is, of course, Joaquin Torres, who ultimately becomes Wilson's successor as the second Falcon. 

In the comics, Torres is a teenager that is abducted by the Sons of the Serpent and, with the use of Redwing, is later transformed into a bird/human hybrid, which Sam later realizes is a permanent condition. Following the defeat of the Serpent Society, Captain America (Sam Wilson) allowed Torres to become his new sidekick. 

However, it looks like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will be altering his origin story somewhat as they potentially take a more grounded approach to introducing the hero, ageing him up quite a few years and already making him an ally of Sam's when we meet him. 

Warning: this video contains mild spoilers...

ETA: After watching the video, I can report that the above article is incorrect in the following respect -

Spoiler

while Spellman's "Joaquin" quote is correct, it was in response to the CBM interviewer asking if they will explore what happened to Steve Rogers after Avengers: Endgame. Spellman replied that "I think that Joaquin was asking the same question in the first episode" and that Steve's fate "is still a mystery."

Warning: this Malcolm Spellman interview contains mild spoilers...

Falcon and the Winter Soldier explores whether a Black Captain America is ‘even appropriate,’ says creator
By Tasha Robinson     Mar 16, 2021
https://www.polygon.com/22333905/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-captain-america 

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier series creator, showrunner, and head writer Malcolm Spellman says he “fought hard” for the right to do the series: as a Black creator with a career-long interest in Black art and social issues, he saw the show as an opportunity to be frank about race in America. ....
So you chose the characters from a menu? Were you involved in deciding to bring Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes back together?
Not for this one. I believe this series was ordained by Mr. Feige and all the Marvel fans in that 12-second moment of Captain America: Civil War when Sam and Bucky are sitting in a car together. I think everyone knew they had to have something together from that moment on. And it was just about the right time to bring it to life.

How do you spin up an entire series from such a brief joke scene?
In a weird way, I feel guilty. I feel like it’s a cheat code. Because what those guys did in those 12 seconds was so rare, in that you know exactly what it’s going to feel like to have them onscreen. And you know you can lean into it. But as far as actual character work, we did a deep dive. We really processed all the baggage Bucky is carrying around from all those murders, and from being manipulated by HYDRA for decade after decade after decade. We brought that to bear and personified that through one character he’s going to have to deal with, and he’s going to either fail or succeed in absolving his sins through this character. That’s his own personal story that has nothing to do with the A-story.

On top of that, we had all his backstory right there for the taking. We knew he’s 106 years old, which is another thing that makes him feel very much like an other. And for Sam, it was pretty obvious to us that his character needed to begin with dealing with the stars and stripes on the shield, in two ways. Number one, the loss of a dear friend, and those huge shoes that anyone who picked up that mantle would need to fill. And then the other thing being as a Black man, is it even appropriate to have that symbol? That symbol means something very different in Sam’s hands than it does in Steve’s. And I think the audience is going to be surprised to see how he responds to it. Because I think a lot of people are thinking, “Oh, after Endgame, we kind of know what Sam’s gonna do.” And they’re gonna be shocked.

How do you keep up the tension and investment in an MCU story when you’re going from literal world-breaking stakes to a Black family applying for a bank loan?
Well, we wanted to make sure we did this: Don’t show up with an agenda, don’t bog down the natural storytelling, the organic storytelling. That has to lead the way. And within that, the character embodies those things you’re talking about, those serious issues are brought to life through the character, and through the people in his life. Like Sam’s sister, we put her in there because we knew she was going to have strong opinions too, and maybe not be so cool with the idea of [him becoming Captain America], right? And she’s crucial to him. He adores her. She represents his history growing up in the South. So what you do is, you load it up as you load up his personal life, so the issues can exist organically in the show without without bogging it down and making it feel like you’re trying to get in the pulpit.

It seems from the first episode that you’re actively engaging with what it means to have a Black man potentially representing America, symbolizing the best of America, in an era where America is again visibly struggling with its vast racial issues.
I don’t see no way around it. The two go hand-in-hand, there’s no — we would be dishonest if we tried to run from it. And I do think Marvel has proven with Black Panther that you can have substance in MCU stories. As long as you’re having fun and doing it in a way that’s open, Marvel fans will go along with you on that ride.
What kind of emotional journey can we expect for Sam and Bucky here?
It’s huge. First of all, they both have to deal with the loss of Steve Rogers. And the fact that he’s gone is exposing their relationship. It’s almost like they’re feeding off each other as a point of blame for the loss of Steve Rogers. And on top of that, they have this symbol to remind them that their best friend is gone. The world we built is also a world that needs Captain America. Thanos has been dispatched, 3.5 or 4 billion people have reappeared after being gone for five years and spun the world into chaos. So there’s really only one hero that could calm a situation like that, and he’s gone. And no one is there, obviously, to take up the mantle in the right way. So I think that specter of loss exists in the plot, in the world, and in the two characters.

WandaVision was also fundamentally about grief, loss, and recovery. Does it feel to you like this is going to be a major Marvel theme going forward?
So the global theme for this thing is identity. We have five main characters who all have their own individual journeys underneath that. You have Zemo, who is dealing with what he sees in his mind as supremacy in the form of heroes. Whether you call it vigilantism or whatever, Zemo sees himself as a hero, and that’s his target.

Sharon Carter is dealing with being betrayed or abandoned, because she’s been gone since Civil War, and she’s had to survive on her own. Bucky Barnes is dealing with grief. Same with John Walker [played by Wyatt Russell] — they both have different incarnations of a veteran story, in that you do everything for a country, and then who’s there to pick up the pieces for you? And then Sam is dealing with the symbolism of being Captain America, and whether it’s appropriate. Each one of them has an identity that starts them off in a very fraught state of being, because it’s urgent and immediate, what they’re dealing with. And by the end of this series, each one of these characters is going to look at themselves completely differently, and almost be reborn. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Halfway through this Jimmy Kimmel interview, they show a new video clip from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier of an aerial fight scene involving the Falcon...

Anthony Mackie on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier & Captain America’s Shield Handoff
Jimmy Kimmel Live    Mar 18, 2021

‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Interviews with Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and More
CinemaBlend    Mar 17, 2021

00:00 - What Sam has been texting Bucky about between "Avengers: Endgame" and now
00:41 - What Sebastian Stan was most interested to discover in the making of "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier"
01:31 - How Falcon and Winter Soldier’s relationship has evolved since 'Civil War,' according to Anthony Mackie
02:22 - How long after "Avengers: Endgame" is "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" set?
03:04 - Where the Avengers are telling the public Captain America went
03:44 - How the show accomplished the blockbuster-level action scenes 

Spoiler

06:19 - What Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie can tease about Wyatt Russell and Erin Kellyman’s characters
07:27 - The special way "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" is bringing Flag-Smasher to the MCU

08:48 - The films Malcolm Spellman drew inspiration from
09:36 - How "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’s" head writer balanced the show’s differing tones

How Marvel's 'The Falcon and the Winter Soldier' takes on race, patriotism and Captain America
Brian Truitt     March 17, 2021
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/03/17/falcon-and-winter-soldier-spotlights-captain-america-friends/4712374001/

“It's the main character, my man,” says creator and head writer Malcolm Spellman. “The [Captain America] shield is everything in this show.”
“If people think this show is about Sam carrying that shield and being Captain America, it is not.”

Spoiler

The new series finds Sam, an Air Force veteran, working with the military on missions while Bucky, Steve’s childhood best friend and fellow World War II soldier, is having an existential crisis and making amends for decades of subterfuge and murder as a brainwashed assassin. “They're both trying to make the best of it,” Stan says. “One of them doesn't really have a home, but they both have different life issues waiting for them.”

As the post-“Endgame” landscape has thrown the world into geopolitical turmoil, Sam and Bucky have reason to team up again, and the American government decides to get involved when the country needs “new heroes." Yet as much as Spellman liked the bantering duo, he also wanted to dig deeper into Sam’s backstory and mindset.“The thing I most wanted to explore was the conflict of a Black man becoming Captain America or not,” Spellman says. “What does it mean if he succeeds? What does it mean if he fails?”

Spoiler

The new series borrows friends and enemies from previous “Captain America” projects, from former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) to the mercenary Batroc (Georges St-Pierre) and vengeful supervillain Zemo (Daniel Brühl). The newest baddies are the Flag Smashers, masked anarchists with powerful abilities who believe in instituting a unified world without borders. “All the villains in this series believe they're heroes,” Spellman says.

“Falcon” also introduces the character of John Walker (Wyatt Russell), a Marine called upon to team with Sam and Bucky and fight this new international threat. “John Walker wouldn't be in this series if he was causing everything to go well,” Russell says. “There's a dynamic he adds that somewhat complicates the relationship of everybody involved.”
8fe37953-6400-4336-b9d1-8ba0950c6832-TAG  

For Spellman, “Walker speaks to this idea of American exceptionalism and the necessity we have in questioning it.”
Russell agrees that the shield is an integral “Falcon” co-star. “The shield doesn't itself represent something that's singular. It represents what somebody puts on it,” he says. “So one guy puts his own version of what Captain America is on it and another person puts a version of what it is.”

No one’s spilling details about who might be wielding that shield at the end of “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.” However, the examination of whether or not Captain America is still important as a symbol is what Stan, 38, says he “loved” about the series. “It dives into trying to understand that question better because that's a big question we're all asking.”

ETA: There will be a Virtual Launch Event premiering today at 12:00pm ET - check Marvel Entertainment's YouTube channel.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1