Type keyword(s) to search

WandaVision In The Media

• Start Topic

Wandavision - Panel Conversation - Variety Streaming Room
Variety   Premiered May 25, 2021

Actors Elizabeth Olsen, Kathryn Hahn, Teyonah Parris, head writer / executive producer Jac Schaeffer and director / executive produce Matt Shakman of “WandaVision” join Variety’s Angelique Jackson in the Variety Streaming Room presented by Disney+ for an exclusive Q&A discussing clips from the show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

‘WandaVision’ Head Writer Jac Schaeffer Sets Overall Deal With Marvel Studios, 20th Television
By Joe Otterson    May 26, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/wandavision-jac-schaeffer-overall-deal-marvel-studios-20th-television-1234982240/ 

“WandaVision” head writer Jac Schaeffer has signed a three-year overall deal TV deal with Marvel Studios and 20th Television.

Under the deal, Schaeffer will develop projects for both Marvel Studios and 20th Television. Projects for Marvel Studios will go to Disney Plus, while projects for 20th TV will be developed for all platforms.

Schaeffer created “WandaVision” for television and also served as head writer and executive producer. ....

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards: Results! ‘Julie and the Phantoms,’ ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ ‘Lucifer,’ and ‘WandaVision’ Among Winners
May 28, 2021     Tell-Tale TV
https://telltaletv.com/2021/05/the-2021-tell-tale-tv-awards-results-julie-and-the-phantoms-greys-anatomy-lucifer-and-wandavision-among-winners/

Now, we’re excited to announce all of the winners of The 2021 Tell-Tale TV Awards below. You can also check out the final results from the last round of voting here
Favorite Limited Series:
WandaVision

Favorite Actress in a Limited Series: 
Elizabeth Olsen (WandaVision)

Favorite Actor in a Limited Series:
Paul Bettany (WandaVision)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Paul Bettany Has No Clue When ‘WandaVision’s’ White Vision Will Return & Has Mixed Feelings Over That Big Cameo Tease [Interview]
Gregory Ellwood  June 1, 2021
https://theplaylist.net/paul-bettany-wandavision-white-vision-interview-20210601 

The Playlist: I know that you’ve said in interviews before that Marvel had told you they had an idea for a Wanda and Vision series, but when did you find out what the series was going to be, in terms of, “Oh, we’re doing this, and it’s not like anything anyone has even ever tried before in television?”
Paul Bettany:
Oh, wow. Well, I figured that out twice. I figured that out when Kevin and Louis D’Esposito pitched a broad sort of visual idea of what it was going to be. I was blown away and thought, “Wow, that’s fucking crazy and sounds amazing. But how can we go from, hey, we’re going to skip through these decades of different styles of sort of an American sitcom into a coherent show?” Cut to about; I don’t know, a year, year-and-a-half later, I go and have a meeting with Jac Schaeffer, head writer, and she pitches me an episodic breakdown of the whole show. And it was revelatory. I couldn’t believe that they had corralled this sort of mad, lovely, wonderful idea into something that would really hold water and be this exquisite expression of grief if you were a witch and were able to bring people back from the dead. At that point, I thought, this is a pretty magnificent interpret, in terms of their creation before we had really any involvement.
What eras were the biggest challenge for you in that respect?
I guess, really, episodes one and two. Is that right? Yeah, maybe three, but mostly episodes one and two. I had been a big fan of Dick Van Dyke as a kid. In England, we used to get reruns of all those shows, “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” “Bewitched,” “Brady Bunch,” all of them, on Saturday and Sunday mornings, after church and before sports. I had this idea that I knew them and loved them because they were my friends on the weekend. And then I started really digging into “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and was so intimidated by how skillful they were as performers. And I mean, like something quite apart from acting. As performers, it was so abundantly clear that they’d spent years doing vaudeville, and they could sing, and they could dance, and they could do this, and they knew how to do a pratfall. And we’re not really trained with any of those skills or that history. And so, I got really intimidated and really resistant to the idea of shooting it live.
I have to ask this, and I’m not trying to embarrass you, but you did do an interview, where you said, “Hey, there’s going to be this big cameo.” And you were having fun with it, and it just went off like no one could have ever imagined. Do you regret that?
I’ve had all sorts of feelings about it. Initially, it was massive regret, which was people started going because I thought it was a really funny joke and was pleased with myself. And then people were like, “Is it going to be Patrick Stewart?” And then I went, “Oh, my God, that’s a good idea. Oh, my God, people are going to be so disappointed when they realize it’s f**king me again.” [Laughs.] But in the end, I spoke to Kevin Feige about it. And he thought it was a really good joke, a really funny joke. And it didn’t backfire too much. For a second there, I was like, “Oh, no. What am have I done?” But yeah. So I had all sorts of feelings regarding that.
O.K., but when you were doing the show, you realized, “Oh, hey, this isn’t the last time I’m potentially ever working with Elizabeth on this series again.” You knew that there that by the end, there would be more opportunities down the road?
No. I mean, I’m honest with you. I still don’t know that.

Really?
Oh no, no. I don’t have a contract. I don’t know that. I don’t know that at all. And all that I do know is, as far as this sort of traunch of press goes, it’s for an Emmy push, which is for a limited series. So it doesn’t look like that happening again. I mean, I guess it would be difficult to introduce White Vision and not deal with him in some way, but we have not discussed that.
Was there one scene or moment from any of the nine episodes you’re most proud of?
Oh, shit, there’s loads of stuff like that; that was really fun. I was really anxious about the magic show. We came to the magic show during COVID. So we had to shoot it in a different way post lockdown. So we had to come at it a different way. It was a lot of fun to do in the end. Like a company spirit, there are general things that I think we really felt on that show, with me and Lizzie and Kathryn [Hahn] and Teyonah [Parris]. I mean, just a real company of actors and make-up artists, prop masters, a cameraman I’ve [now] worked with four times. The DP [Director of Photography], Jess Hall, is a genius and [director] Matt Shakman and Jac Schaeffer. And we were all together, and we felt like a real community, and that was really nice. So there’s that. And then there are also little individual moments like, “What is grief, if not love persevering?” Which took an incredibly long time to get to, as a moment, and involved a lot of people, a lot of back and forth, and a lot of people with no ego, whatever, trying to figure out this one moment, that I felt it was really, really important. And then there’s right at the end, Jac Schaeffer and I, and Kevin Feige and Matt were all discussing, “How do we make the demise of Red Vision in this also feel triumphant? And is there something wrong with the scene that we have written?”
Bettany continues: And I was really strongly of the opinion that there wasn’t, and Kevin felt like it lacked something. Jac was asking me what I thought. And I woke up one morning, and Pinocchio is what I realized. I’m a real boy now. And there’s a famous panel, famous for Marvel fans, of Vision crying. And he says is, “Even a robot can cry.” There’s this day, and he realizes he’s crying. And I’m like, “What if we put that in? And we have this moment of Pinocchio becoming a real boy? Which is going to feel like a triumph.” And that’s the thing about Marvel and all of those people, is the best idea wins. Through all of these years, I love that Lizzie and I have only ever respected each other and have fun working with each other. I mean, it was a great job, man.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's great that Elizabeth Olsen was included in this roundtable for drama actresses...

FULL Drama Actresses Roundtable: Anya Taylor-Joy, Elizabeth Olsen & More | Close Up
The Hollywood Reporter    Jun 2, 2021

Anya Taylor-Joy (‘Queen’s Gambit’), Elizabeth Olsen (‘Wandavision’), Gillian Anderson (‘The Crown’), Cynthia Erivo (‘Genius: Arthea’), MJ Rodriguez (‘Pose’) and Sarah Paulson (‘Ratched’) join Lacey Rose for Close Up With The Hollywood Reporter for our Drama Actresses Roundtable.   

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Full video of Variety's "Marvel Superpanel" - this was a great panel (definitely worth watching, it's 42:50 minutes long)...

Stars of ‘WandaVision,’ ‘Falcon and The Winter Soldier’ and ‘Loki’ Chat About All Things Marvel
Variety   Jun 9, 2021

-- Mod was Adam Vary, Variety's Senior Entertainment Writer. Panelists were Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and Tom Hiddleston.

-- When asked when was the last time the five stars interacted with each other, Paul joked that they've been living together during the pandemic "like the Monkees." Others said that it was three years ago (2018) for Endgame's "big scene," but Tom interjected that he wasn't there. Tom added that this panel was the first time the "specific five" of them have been in the same "virtual lot" together, even though there have been a lot of different connections between them.

-- When asked about headlining their own shows after having been supporting players in the MCU, Elizabeth said that it was initially "intimidating," but after speaking to WandaVision's showrunner, Jac Schaeffer, she felt that Jac really understood the Wanda character. Elizabeth also said that she and Paul were very excited to lead their own show. 
Anthony said that he was called to L.A. to have a meeting and bumped into Sebastian, who had also been called in. Neither knew the reason. At the time, Anthony was disappointed to learn that it was going to be a TV show because he didn't think they could take the scope of what had been done in the MCU and put it into a TV show, and he didn't want to be the first "failed entity" of Marvel: "You have all this amazing stuff and then this one thing sucks, and it just happens to be me." He didn't know about the other shows (WandaVision, Loki, etc.) and thought they were sending him and Sebastian "out to pasture like two old cows." He was "mortified." However, once he heard that Kari Skoagland and Malcolm Spellman were on board TFATWS, and once Kevin Feige reassured him that they weren't going to "dumb down the culture," then he was okay with it. Then they started shooting and it was all the same people who did the movies. So it was like going back to work "with your friends."

-- Mod mentioned that Tom "taught like a Loki 101 course to the creative leaders" of his show. 
Sebastian: "We were not invited." 
Anthony: "Sebastian and I were on the lot, and we were not invited!" 
Sebastian: "Everyone was talking about it." 
Anthony: "Tom Hiddleston gave a six-hour symposium... and we were not invited!" 
Elizabeth: "We were all on the lot." 
Anthony added that he and Sebastian were shooting one of their biggest scenes at the time, so they couldn't "sneak out and crash the Tom Hiddleston symposium." 
Paul: "Tom, did you have a laser pointer?" 
Tom: "There was a white board." (Watch Tom's facial expressions throughout this exchange. He's cracking up.) 

-- Tom: "Let me go back to the beginning... Our show hasn't aired yet, so I have to be careful what I say now... Initially, when Kevin Feige and Louis D'Esposito called me about this - and they were very excited and, um, it was around the Spring of 2018, which was when Infinity War was being released into the world. And they said... 'Disney [is] going to create this streaming platform... We're very excited to present ideas to them. And Loki is one of them, amongst WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Solider.'  So I was like, 'Okay.' And then I was excited. But my first question was, 'How do we do that?' Infinity War was just about to come out and the opening three minutes of that film felt extremely final... (Mod interjected, "You die, Loki dies.") ... They were so kind and generous, but also sort of conclusive about the way that scene was written. I think even Josh Brolin as Thanos says, 'No resurrections this time.' ... There were moments where different people on the production team had lots of different questions about different things from different films - different movies - the six movies I made in the MCU. They were like, 'Why does this costume change to this? And what happened here? And what was the thinking behind - why did this thing end up like that? Why do you use your knives like this in one film and your knives like this in another one?' ... Again, I have to be careful of spoilers. I know you'll be respectful of the need, with two weeks to go.... The show's about lots of things, but it's probably - an element of it being a kind of - it's about identity, in the way that WandaVision maybe is about grief. Digging into lots of different aspects of Loki and, um, you know, the shapeshifter who is constantly changing shape. So what's his authentic shape? Does he have one? ... I was fielding lots of questions from the production team.... (Anthony interjected, "Six hours, Tom! Six hours... Symposium. Six hours!") ... It wasn't six... Two, maybe... Like, an hour , with a Q&A... (Anthony interjected, "Tom! Q&A? There was a Q&A! ... Sorry, sorry. Love you. Sorry!") ... So I said to Kate Herron, our director, I said, 'Would it be helpful if I gave everybody all the information at the same time?' And Kate and Kevin Wright, our producer, were like, 'That's a brilliant idea." ... It then became a kind of Loki lecture... I'm crushed with shame and embarrassment that this thing has even happened and - and is now out in the world... But if you guys want the kind of Cliff Notes on it, I can probably type them up. I can send you a copy - if you really want it."  
Paul then said that he didn't think he could hold a 30-minute lecture on his character, saying: "Oh my God, Tom Hiddleston is so prepared." Paul added that he just did what he always does, "which is, learn my lines and hope for the best."
Anthony: "Swing for the fence, baby!"
Paul also said that it was "kind of intimidating" because he was playing opposite his stunt guy "and he was kind of better than me." 

-- Mod then asked if they have "go-to ways" of avoiding revealing spoilers when answering questions. 
Tom said that the biggest secret he ever kept for a long time was Loki's death scene in Infinity War. Kevin Feige told him about it when Tom was filming Thor: Ragnorak.
Elizabeth said that she told everyone in her personal life but "no one in the press." She then said that she thought Sebastian would be very good at answering this question.
Sebastian: "What? No... Absolutely not. I'm very worried about any trusting whatsoever. Before this Variety call, I had a conversation with Anthony where I was like, 'I just want to know that you'll be on this call.' I can't be alone. I like - I have like - I think I have an attachment issue now to him. Like, I can't even like do this...."
Elizabeth then said that it was a "big brother, little brother" thing.(*)
Anthony: "Why am I not the little bro? ... I might be the little brother, how about that?"
Elizabeth: "I think you're like the big brother and Sebastian likes to let his big brother talk - talk, so he can just -"
Sebastian: "Oh, Lizzie, I'm so happy you're -"
Anthony: "I'm not saying anything else."
Elizabeth: "I'm not like putting either of you down by the way.... I'm just observing and saying how I see it."
Sebastian: "I'm just saying, if you ever want to meet at Aroma Cafe in the Valley, I'm in."
Elizabeth (laughing): "Aroma Cafe?" 
Tom: "Is this where the therapy scene came from?"
Anthony (laughing): "Right."

(* FYI: Anthony is 42 and Sebastian is 38.)

-- Mod asked Paul about the evolution of his character Vision and how it's been for him to keep coming back to the MCU in a different form. Paul said that it's been great and that the last time it happened, his contract was up and his character had "just been killed twice." When he went to see Kevin Feige, he thought he was going to be fired. Instead, he was told about WandaVision. He replied, "Absolutely. Absolutely. I can keep the kids in private school."

-- Mod asked Sebastian if he knew that his character would be coming back after Bucky fell off the train in Captain America: The First Avenger. Sebastian said that he did not know at that time: "At first, they were going to have this green-sleeved arm and I was like, 'oh, perfect.' And then they were like, 'You know what? We don't know.' So then they gave me the real arm back.... Not much after that." 
Mod then asked when he knew Bucky was returning for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Sebastian replied that he got a call from a friend, who said that he was at San Diego Comic Con and told him, "you're in the title of the next film." And I was like, "Oh. Cool... We seem to find these things out in weird ways, I guess."
When Mod asked how playing Bucky for 10 years has changed his life, Sebastian replied: "You're just trying to kind of like still have some sort of a life, I guess, without someone commenting on it... It's like, if I move this piece of paper from left to right, someone's gonna have something to say about it. And I just think that's really funny." Mod: "You just launched like three blog posts about what that means."

-- Mod asked the entire panel how being part of the MCU has changed their lives professionally in terms of the kinds of projects they can do outside of the MCU and the amount of commitment they have to make to the MCU. 
Elizabeth said that they all now have "a number sign above our heads when we make independent films and whether or not we can sell them internationally to help get financing" and that it allows them to do that. So she thought that it was a "great benefit to being part of such a huge international franchise."
Tom said that he "loves these films" and that he's been in less of them than the other panelists. Even before he became part of the MCU, he loved the first Iron Man movie and thought it was an "amazing movie" and that everyone was "amazing in it." At the time, he couldn't imagine being part of something like that.

-- Mod then asked about fan interactions. Tom and Paul made a few comments.

-- Mod asked about the "world building" in the MCU and what it's like stepping onto the sets in these movies. Elizabeth said that she thought about "how important my wigs are to me" and that she had "like 14 wigs" for WandaVision (for the different decades and for the Scarlet Witch). She also said that they did warm-up vocal exercises to get the "right inflections" for the decade's TV shows. She also mentioned the different sets for each decade's TV show.

-- Mod asked Anthony about the different cities and countries in TFATWS and shooting an international show during a pandemic. Anthony said that, when he read the first script, he thought that it was going to be "this amazing experience where they would be traveling to seven different countries... and, you know, Sebastian was going to hurt his toe trying to be Tom Cruise." Then they were told Atlanta and Puerto Rico, but then the earthquakes in Puerto Rico happened, and then they were told Atlanta and "TBA." Anthony mentioned the uncertainty of locations, the pandemic, the earthquakes, and other "speed bumps" in their path to producing their show. He added that it was a "group effort for cast and crew to keep the morale up" and that every location, opportunity, rewrites, etc., was needed to make the show work. He said that the best thing to happen to them was to have TFATWS moved from the first slot to the second slot, because WandaVision was so amazing that it "set the vocabulary for what Marvel was going to do in this streaming universe." When you saw how great WandaVision was and how it "still stood the test of the cinematic universe," it made the audience "fall in line with the new scope of what Marvel was gonna be... So, thank you, Paul and Lizzie." He added that every single show was a team effort, joking: "We'll see about Loki."
Tom: "We had the best crew of all time."
Elizabeth: "No. We had the best crew of all time."
Anthony: "We had the crew that didn't sit through a symposium."
Tom added that about 2/3 of Loki was made after the lockdown: "Coming back, we did about six weeks of Loki. Then pandemic hit. Shutdown. We came back, uh, five months later - four and a half months." He wanted to give a "public salute" to his crew.

-- Sebastian asked Tom if he got to improvise or if he had to stick strictly to the script. Tom replied that, in his every experience with Marvel Studios, it's been a mixture of the two - you start with a written script, but "it can spin off and change," depending on the scene and complexity of the sets and shots. But there's always "room to play."
Sebastian said it reminded him of shooting TFATWS and having to remind Anthony that Daniel Brühl was in the scene. Anthony just laughed.
Tom praised Owen Wilson for being "inventive." He added that the Marvel Studios experience is like working with Kevin Feige, who is willing to try new ideas.

-- Anthony asked Tom how many times he talked to Kevin Feige while shooting Loki. Tom replied that it was about six times and that, beecause of the pandemic, Kevin was in touch about the shutdown.
Sebastian interjected that Anthony was only asking because "Anthony was calling him every Friday night." 
Anthony (laughing): "Okay. Maybe once every two weeks."
Elizabeth: "Paul'd text Kevin every other day."
Paul: "I was booking this trip to Greece and I had to know how much I could spend."

Elizabeth Olsen was also part of a Variety's Actors On Actors panel with Kaley Cuoco...

Kaley Cuoco & Elizabeth Olsen On WandaVision, The Flight Attendant, and Sitcoms | Actors on Actors
Variety   Jun 8, 2021

ETA: Kaley asked whether Elizabeth thought she would do a second season of WandaVision, and Elizabeth said, "No."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Here Are the Best Superhero Shows to Watch on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, and More
Lindsay MacDonald   June 10, 2021
https://www.tvguide.com/news/best-superhero-shows-watch-netflix-hulu-amazon-disney/ 

WandaVision
The cool thing about WandaVision is that it has a gimmick beyond the usual superhero-ing. Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany) are attempting to lead an extremely normal life in a New Jersey suburb -- they're playing house, they're dressing in period clothing, and they're finding increasingly zany ways to hide their superpowers from their neighbors. The show cycles through the decades, referencing everything from The Dick Van Dyke Show to Modern Family, but as it goes along it begins to become exceedingly clear that things are not as they seem within the confines of this TV world. WandaVision gives two beloved side characters their moment in the spotlight, contains an incredible Kathryn Hahn performance, and is an essential watch for anyone keeping up with the MCU: The events of the series directly set up for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. -Allison Picurro [Watch on Disney+]

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Anthony Mackie, Mario Lopez and 3 More Actors Reflect on Finding New Ways to Play Their Famous Characters
BY CARITA RIZZO     JUNE 7, 2021 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/anthony-mackie-mario-lopez-ralph-macchio-roles/paul-bettany-wandavision-disney/ 

Paul Bettany ('WandaVision', Disney+)
Paul Bettany could not have been more excited about reprising his role as Vision on the Disney+ limited series ­— primarily because he thought the call from Marvel boss Kevin Feige was to let him go from the franchise. “My contract was up, I’d died twice in Infinity War, and I got a call from Kevin saying, ‘Hey, come into the office. We need to have a chat,’ ” says Bettany. “I was convinced I was getting canned.” Instead, he was pitched Jac Schaeffer’s series exploring the uniquely humorous relationship between Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision. “I thought it was bonkers and such a clever way for Marvel Studios to segue into television,” says Bettany. That did not mean the actor didn’t have trepidations about the structure of the nine-episode series, where each installment takes the shape of a sitcom of an era. “I was concerned with how he would remain Vision, if we’re skipping through all of these different genres,” says Bettany. “Then I thought about how he’s always been in a process of evolution. If the core of him is decency and kindness, then it’ll probably be able to withstand a little bit of Dick Van Dyke.” Getting to explore grief, fear, triumph and love through the eyes of an aubergine robot that eventually realizes his journey is complete was, for Bettany, a joyous deep dive. “Really being able to expand and explore all of that history that we’ve only really hinted at in the movies was a fun act of creativity with all of these amazing minds,” says Bettany. “It will forever be one of the joys of my career.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Full video of Variety's June 10th "A Night in the Writers' Room Limited Series Panel," which included WandaVision head writer Jac Schaeffer (go to article link to watch video)...

Variety Virtual TV Fest: Limited Series Writers on the Strength of the Storytelling Format
By Haley Bosselman    June 11, 2021
https://variety.com/video/variety-virtual-tv-fest-limited-series-writers-on-the-strength-of-the-storytelling-format/

-- Moderator: Elaine Low, Variety's Senior TV Business Writer.
Panelists: A Teacher creator Hannah Fidell, Mare of Eastown creator and writer Brad Inglesby, WandaVision head writer and executive producer Jac Schaeffer, Genius: Aretha showrunner Suzan-Lori Parks, and Solos creator and writer David Weil.

-- When asked about how the WandaVision finale changed as a result of pandemic restrictions, Jac Schaeffer said that the finale was a lot longer and there was more dialogue/content for Agatha, and that there were also "necessary logistical" changes in the town street scene. Originally, the Westview residents were supposed to attack Wanda physically (like a zombie attack) but it had to be changed to a verbal attack (shouting at Wanda).

-- On creating a piece of entertainment that still managed to enthrall a juggernaut fandom, Jac Schaeffer: “We would start with these bite-sized episodes that would expand and expand and expand, and then the finale would feel more like a proper Marvel movie... That sort of shattering of form was so enticing to me, especially given where we are in pop culture, and that audiences are so shrewd, they’re so savvy. And they come to the content with so much fandom and so much awareness, so it’s hard to surprise them.”

-- When asked about factoring in the likeability of Wanda, a Marvel superhero who deals with moral and ethical issues in WandaVision, Jac Schaeffer said that "it is a Marvel property," that "entertainment was paramount," and that her series was "mapped to the stages of grief." She also said that she hoped "it would be a Trojan Horse of authenticity of this woman" - that the series would be "frontloaded with all this color and life, the pastiche, nostalgia," and the "charisma" of the lead actors (EO and PB) and their "joined chemistry," with a "Lynchian vibe" bubbling up throughout; and then we'd get "a sense of how deeply complex and flawed and selfish this woman is... and the depth of the wells of anger she has inside of her." 

-- Jac Schaeffer added that her "top priority" was "avoiding the hysterical woman trope." She didn't want to do a thing where Wanda's power overwhelms her and somebody's got to kill her or "a dude in a cape's got to come in and fix it or put her out of her misery or whatever." 

-- Jac Schaeffer found it "gratifying" that audiences had an issue with Wanda's lack of accountability at the end of WandaVision. She said that Kevin Feige wanted that scene where the townspeople are all angry at Wanda. "Trauma begets trauma." Wanda's trauma led to her traumatizing the Westview residents. However, Jac stressed that the story continues, saying: "She doesn't face any reckoning in my story. But we'll see where things go."

In case you missed the notice, First Round voting for the 2021 Primetimer Awards opened on June 14 (and will end on June 18) - WandaVision has nominees in the following categories...

Idiot Stick: Dumbest Character Moment
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119708-idiot-stick-dumbest-character-moment

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do!: Couple You Wish Would Call It Quits
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119696-breaking-up-is-hard-to-do-couple-you-wish-would-call-it-quits

That Nearly Killed Me: Saddest Death Scene
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119692-that-nearly-killed-me-saddest-death-scene

Whaaaat! Are You Effing Kidding Me?: Biggest Plot Point Letdown
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119690-whaaaat-are-you-effing-kidding-me-biggest-plot-point-letdown

Life On The Edge: Biggest Cliffhanger
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119688-life-on-the-edge-biggest-cliffhanger

Best Stunt
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119685-best-stunt

We Heart Bad Boys: Favorite Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119682-we-heart-bad-boys-favorite-villain

Take Me Home Tonight: Best TV Show Home
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119661-take-me-home-tonight-best-tv-show-home

Who’s a Good Boy!: Favorite Performance By a Live Animal
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119657-who’s-a-good-boy-favorite-performance-by-a-live-animal

Be Careful What You Wish For: Most Gratuitous Fanservice
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119656-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-most-gratuitous-fanservice

Wow, That Was Amazing!: Favorite Season/Series Finale
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119655-wow-that-was-amazing-favorite-seasonseries-finale

Head Rekt: Best Season-long Mindfuckery
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119654-head-rekt-best-season-long-mindfuckery

That Guy Used To Suck: Favorite Character Redemption Arc
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119651-that-guy-used-to-suck-favorite-character-redemption-arc

Will You Be My BFF?: Favorite Secondary Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119608-will-you-be-my-bff-favorite-secondary-character

We Go Together: Favorite Couple Or Ship
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119607-we-go-together-favorite-couple-or-ship

Not Just A Prop: Favorite Performance By An Inanimate Object
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119606-not-just-a-prop-favorite-performance-by-an-inanimate-object

Music To My Ears: Favorite Musical Moment
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119605-music-to-my-ears-favorite-musical-moment

It Just Wouldn't Be The Same Without You: Favorite Lead Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119585-it-just-wouldnt-be-the-same-without-you-favorite-lead-character

Asskicker: Favorite Badass
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119584-asskicker-favorite-badass

Ugh, Not You Again: Least Entertaining Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119548-ugh-not-you-again-least-entertaining-villain

Name That Tune: Favorite Opening Credits/Theme Song
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119535-name-that-tune-favorite-opening-creditstheme-song

Best Genre Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119512-best-genre-show

LMFAO: Funniest Scene From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119510-lmfao-funniest-scene-from-a-scripted-show

My New Happy Place: Favorite New Show Of The Season
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119507-my-new-happy-place-favorite-new-show-of-the-season

Did That Just Happen?!: Biggest What The Actual Fuck Moment From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119506-did-that-just-happen-biggest-what-the-actual-fuck-moment-from-a-scripted-show

Aw Yessss!: Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119505-aw-yessss-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year

Best Writing
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119504-best-writing

The Big Chill: Favorite Binge-Watch
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119490-the-big-chill-favorite-binge-watch

Straight Off The Runway: Character With Best Wardrobe
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119478-straight-off-the-runway-character-with-best-wardrobe

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

How ‘WandaVision,’ ‘The Umbrella Academy,’ ‘Harley Quinn’ Subvert the Superhero Genre
By Joe Otterson   Jun 14, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/subverting-superhero-tv-wandavision-harley-quinn-umbrella-academy-1234992069/ 

The Marvel-Disney Plus series “WandaVision” was a noticeable departure from projects Marvel Studios had done in the past. The series kicks off with Wanda Maximoff, aka Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen), and Vision (Paul Bettany) living inside an idyllic sitcom world from the 1950s.

“The design of the show from early on was that we were going to frontload the TV sitcom stuff and the ‘Twilight Zone’ aspects with this Lynchian vibe,” says creator Jac Schaeffer. “Then we would get to the more cut-and-dry superhero fare and the blasty blasty and people flying in the air and all the wire work in the middle of the narrative, and then we would end on this big bang.”

Big swings are always a risk, with some fans more comfortable with the same old tropes, rather than experiencing something new. Schaeffer was well aware of this and made a conscious effort to avoid one trope in particular: “Comics and comic material often have women who have epic powers on a scale that’s so enormous that it could destroy the world,” she says. “Then the narrative often goes in a direction where she comes undone emotionally and can’t control it.” On “WandaVision,” Schaeffer says, “We would never allow the dialogue to be, ‘I can’t control it!’”

Near the end of this Little Gold Men podcast, Variety's Joanna Robinson interviewed Elizabeth Olsen about WandaVision (beginning at around the 1:20:30 mark)...

Harrison Ford’s Only Oscar Nomination— And Maybe His Best Performance
Little Gold Men    June 17, 2021
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/harrison-fords-only-oscar-nomination-maybe-his-best/id1042433465?i=1000525852732

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Hyundai and Marvel Studios have partnered in what is the first-ever co-branded creative campaign to bring in the 2022 Tucson SUV to new spots featuring Marvel characters from four different Disney+ series, Loki, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision and What If...

Question Everything with Marvel Studios, ABC, and ESPN | TUCSON | Hyundai
HyundaiUSA   Jun 16, 2021

Inside Line: Scoop on Handmaid's Tale, HAHN, Walker, SEAL Team, Chicago Fire, Archer, NCIS: LA, Lucifer and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 17 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/17/handmaids-tale-season-5-spoilers-serena-joy-mark/ 

Any word as to whether WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier and other upcoming Marvel shows will ever be released on Blu-ray? –Jan
Ooh, interesting question, especially for those who love their physical media. Alas, I am hearing that at this time, there are no plans to do so. But never say never!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

How Wanda’s Trauma Drove Mark Worthington’s ‘WandaVision’ Production Design
by Shadan Larki  June 20, 2021
https://www.awardsdaily.com/2021/06/20/mark-worthington/ 

Awards Daily: WandaVision marks your first foray into the Marvel world. What was the experience like for you? Did you feel as though you had the freedom to explore versus needing to stay in the already-established visual world of the MCU?
Mark Worthington:
It was extremely collaborative. Kevin [Feige], in particular, is very specific about the things that he thinks are important. He is so immersed in the MCU, and he knows it so well that he understands what the audience is interested in, so that insight is really valuable. There is no book like, ‘Here is the cannon,’ and you must do these things.’ We were interested in expanding the visual world of the show. In particular to this story, our MCU side is what we call the pop-up base, which is a temporary S.W.O.R.D. base that can be used for disaster response. It is meant to look like something you can haul out and set up quickly on site. In that sense, it is different than a lot of what you have seen in the MCU.  

We looked at things like a number of films that have that kind of base in it. I always like to say Marvel is like an indie film company that just happens to make 250-million-dollar projects. [Laughs]. They are really involved. There is no sense of distance. Like, here are the suits. Even if they are creative executives, sometimes you are very distant from that group of people in a given project. That wasn’t the case at all with Marvel, and I love that. They are not dictating anything, but they are there as collaborators, and they have really good ideas. That really meshed, I think, beautifully and really contributed a lot to why the show is as good as it is.

AD: Something you have spoken about in terms of all the sitcoms you drew inspiration from is that you never wanted to replicate anything. Can you talk me through creating a visual palette that is parallel and pays homage without copying? What was that thought process?
MW:
I think the primary driver of how we approached that is storyline. Sitcoms and the sitcom world is created in response to grief and trauma. Her whole story line up to that point has been one of loss. She finally gets to a breaking point with the loss of Vision, and it puts her in this state where she creates this whole sitcom world out of her own memory. As we discover, in the penultimate episode, we see her with her family as a kid watching sitcoms, so we know that she loved that as a kid and that it represented a time before the pain that she is now in a state of denial about. The show has so many themes— grief, PTSD, and denial. One of the great themes and ideas is memory, Wanda’s memory. The sitcoms have to be inflected by the fact that this can’t be a copy because it is coming out of memory. That drives the motive. That is what that is about to me. It’s got to be close. You need to recognize it. You need to be comfortable with it. You need to feel you are in it. But you are also in her memory. You come to understand that as it goes on, so there is a subtly there and a necessity that really drove that, which was a really great guiding light for how to approach doing those during the period sitcoms. But, it was all character-based, all story-based.

AD: It is interesting because you have spoken about the idea of planting Easter eggs. Does the same concept apply, that maybe these visual cues are things that remind her of that Marvel world that she is trying to forget? 
MW:
There are easter eggs if you will, that are scripted; that are part of the story. That drive the story, that drive her character. I think we know what those are. Then there is the stuff that is more environmental. That isn’t about a specific story point. Those are not scripted. Those are sort of easter eggs of opportunity if you will. Like, ‘Oh, we got a bottle of wine that references House of M, for example, which was in the trailers, which is fantastic. There is stuff like that. Russell Bobbitt, our prop master, has been immersed in the MCU since its inception, basically. Russell, is the resident expert of that stuff. There is a lot of stuff with the props that he could bring to me and bring to [director] Matt Shakman and say, ‘Oh I was thinking about this, and we could put this little thing in there, that would be really fun.’ Those little bits—even the magic chest that Wanda disappears into during the magic show has a little bit of imagery there that Russell helped with. He would come up with stuff. Matt would come up with stuff. [Writer] Jac Schaeffer would come up with stuff. Kevin suggested things. They are not just arbitrary signs like, ‘Lets just keep this in there so the fans have something to look at.’ Almost always, they are related to some story point or some aspect of it.  

For example, in the second episode, the 60’s episode, there is wallpaper in one of the sitcoms that is an Italian landscape. I thought, “Hm, there is an opportunity both to reference the sitcom but also reference her past.” It is actually a landscape of Sokovia and two buildings in Sokovia. It is as if these things, the memory of her real world and her real past, can’t be suppressed entirely, and so it expresses itself in the sitcom world in these ways. No, it’s not an Italian landscape, its Sokovia. Stuff like that. It is organic in a nice way. As you are going through the story, you are thinking about these spaces; you are coming up with these ideas as you see the opportunities. It is really fun.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Here's WandaVision's solo commercial for Hyundai...

Marvel Studios’ WandaVision I Question Everything | TUCSON | Hyundai
HyundaiUSA   Jun 24, 2021

WandaVision nominees survived to Second/Final Round voting for the 2021 Primetimer Awards in the following categories (voting opened today and ends Jun 29)...
https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/3310-annual-awards-show-the-primetimers/

Best Genre Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120093-best-genre-show

Best Stunt
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120089-best-stunt/

Asskicker: Favorite Badass
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120043-asskicker-favorite-badass/

It Just Wouldn't Be The Same Without You: Favorite Lead Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120042-it-just-wouldnt-be-the-same-without-you-favorite-lead-character/

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120041-music-to-my-ears-favorite-musical-moment/

Will You Be My BFF?: Favorite Secondary Character
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120027-will-you-be-my-bff-favorite-secondary-character

Ugh, Not You Again: Least Entertaining Villain
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120012-ugh-not-you-again-least-entertaining-villain/

Life On The Edge: Biggest Cliffhanger
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120011-life-on-the-edge-biggest-cliffhanger/

Whaaaat! Are You Effing Kidding Me?: Biggest Plot Point Letdown
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120010-whaaaat-are-you-effing-kidding-me-biggest-plot-point-letdown

That Nearly Killed Me: Saddest Death Scene
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120009-that-nearly-killed-me-saddest-death-scene/

Straight Off The Runway: Character With Best Wardrobe
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120000-straight-off-the-runway-character-with-best-wardrobe/

Name That Tune: Favorite Opening Credits/Theme Song
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119999-name-that-tune-favorite-opening-creditstheme-song/

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119997-head-rekt-best-season-long-mindfuckery/

Wow, That Was Amazing!: Favorite Season/Series Finale
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119996-wow-that-was-amazing-favorite-seasonseries-finale/

Be Careful What You Wish For: Most Gratuitous Fanservice
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119995-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-most-gratuitous-fanservice

Who’s a Good Boy!: Favorite Performance By a Live Animal
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119994-who’s-a-good-boy-favorite-performance-by-a-live-animal/

Not Just A Prop: Favorite Performance By An Inanimate Object
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119989-not-just-a-prop-favorite-performance-by-an-inanimate-object/

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119988-we-go-together-favorite-couple-or-ship

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119986-we-heart-bad-boys-favorite-villain/

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119948-the-big-chill-favorite-binge-watch/

Aw Yessss!: Favorite TV Moment Of The Year
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119947-aw-yessss-favorite-tv-moment-of-the-year

Did That Just Happen?!: Biggest What The Actual Fuck Moment From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119946-did-that-just-happen-biggest-what-the-actual-fuck-moment-from-a-scripted-show

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119945-my-new-happy-place-favorite-new-show-of-the-season/

LMFAO: Funniest Scene From A Scripted Show
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119944-lmfao-funniest-scene-from-a-scripted-show

Best Writing
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119941-best-writing/

That Guy Used To Suck: Favorite Character Redemption Arc
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119934-that-guy-used-to-suck-favorite-character-redemption-arc/

Take Me Home Tonight: Best TV Show Home
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/119932-take-me-home-tonight-best-tv-show-home/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Best TV Shows of 2021 (So Far)
By Team TVLine / June 28 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-shows-2021-list-wandavision-mare-of-easttown/ 

WANDAVISION
With its first TV series for Disney+, Marvel Studios took an enormous (and ultimately worthwhile) creative swing, as Wanda Maximoff’s immense post-Endgame grief was filtered through the lens of beloved sitcoms. WandaVision‘s weekly homages to television, right down to the decade-specific commercials and theme songs, were astonishingly detailed, and the cast’s versatility — particularly Elizabeth Olsen in a career-best performance — made each episode an entertaining, mysterious delight. Bonus points for giving comedic goddess Kathryn Hahn the spotlight she’s long deserved.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Podcast link is in article...

‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — Elizabeth Olsen (‘WandaVision’)
BY SCOTT FEINBERG     JUNE 21, 2021 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/awards-chatter-podcast-elizabeth-olsen-wandavision-1234971072/ 

Elizabeth Olsen is a gifted young actress who, over the course of a decade, has become a major star. She burst onto the scene in Sean Durkin‘s 2011 directorial debut Martha Marcy May Marlene, a Sundance sensation for which she received a breakthrough actor Gotham Award nomination, best actress Critics Choice and Spirit Award nominations, and a BAFTA EE Rising Star Award nomination. She subsequently did standout work in numerous other indies including 2013’s Kill Your Darlings, 2015’s I Saw the Light and 2017’s Ingrid Goes West and Wind River, and on TV in the Facebook Watch drama series Sorry for Your Loss, which ran for two seasons spanning 2018 through 2019. But since 2013 she has been best known as a member of the Marvel family, playing Wanda Maximoff — aka Scarlet Witch, a Sokovian mutant with the power of chaos magic — on the big screen, with limited screen time, in 2014’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, 2016’s Captain America: Civil War, 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War and 2019’s Avengers: Endgame, and then this year on the small screen in the limited series WandaVision, Disney+’s first MCU TV series and the first series in phase four of the MCU, for which she has garnered rave reviews and Emmy buzz.

The 32-year-old recently joined THR‘s Awards Chatter podcast and reflected on lessons learned from her older twin sisters, Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen; the fateful series of events that led to her breakthrough first year in the business, during which she made five films, auditioned for the part of Daenerys on Game of Thrones and battled debilitating panic attacks; and why, despite a frustrating experience with Facebook Watch, she agreed to do WandaVision for another new streaming service.
You can listen to the episode here. Highlights — lightly edited for clarity/brevity — appear lower on the page.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

2021 Primetimer Awards results - WandaVision won the following awards...

Best Genre Show
Winner: WandaVision
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120396-primertimer-award-winners-the-best/

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120394-primetimer-award-winners-non-traditional-the-good/

Winner: WandaVision - "Agatha All Along"
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/120394-primetimer-award-winners-non-traditional-the-good/

Winner: WandaVision - Agatha Harkness

Winner: WandaVision - Wanda and Vision

Winner: WandaVision - Almost everyone in town turned out to be hostages/ victims of Wanda's desperate plot to hold on to Vision

• Love 2
(edited)

A Conversation with Paul Bettany
ACE Universe   Premiered Jul 6, 2021

ACE Universe Presents: A Conversation with Paul Bettany. Join the incredible Angélique Roché as she chats with the visionary Paul Bettany about his career and varied roles throughout film & television. 

Alongside Angélique's discussion, Paul will be answering fan questions from folks like YOU and we learn more about his diverse career, favorite tunes, and just how many sunglasses he owns....with a whole lot of WandaVision of course! 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

WandaVison has nominations in 5 categories...

HOLLYWOOD CRITICS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS FOR THE INAUGURAL HCA TV AWARDS 
https://hollywoodcriticsassociation.com/ted-lasso-the-handmaids-tale-and-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-lead-inaugural-hca-tv-awards-nominations/ 

Thursday, July 8, 2021 (Los Angeles, CA)Ghostbusters: Afterlife’s Mckenna Grace and Home Before Dark’s Brooklynn Prince announced the complete list of nominees for the 1st Annual HCA TV Awards via a live stream earlier today on the organization’s official YouTube Channel. 
The Inaugural HCA TV Awards ceremony will be held at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles on August 22, 2021. 
Best Streaming Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Live-Action Television Movie (5)
Hamilton (Disney+)
Small Axe (Amazon Prime Video)
The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix) 
The Underground Railroad (Amazon Prime Video)
WandaVision (Disney+)
Best Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Television Movie (7)
Bryan Cranston – Your Honor (Showtime)
Chris Rock – Fargo (FX) 
Colman Domingo – Euphoria Two-Part Special (HBO)
Hugh Grant – The Undoing (HBO)
Joel Edgerton – The Underground Railroad (Amazon Prime Video)
Leslie Odom Jr. – Hamilton (Disney+)
Paul Bettany – WandaVision (Disney+)

Best Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Television Movie (7)
Anya Taylor-Joy – The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
Cynthia Erivo – Genius: Aretha (NatGeo)
Elizabeth Olsen – WandaVision (Disney+)
Kate Winslet – Mare of Easttown (HBO)
Michaela Coel – I May Destroy You (HBO)
Thuso Mbedu – The Underground Railroad (Amazon Prime Video)
Zendaya – Euphoria Two-Part Special (HBO)

Best Supporting Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Television Movie (7)
Bill Camp – The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
Courtney B. Vance – Genius: Aretha (NatGeo) 
Daveed Diggs – Hamilton (Disney+)
Evan Peters – Mare of Easttown (HBO)
John Boyega – Small Axe (Amazon Prime Video)
Randall Park – WandaVision (Disney+)
William Jackson Harper – The Underground Railroad (Amazon Prime Video

Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Television Movie (7)
Jean Smart – Mare of Easttown (HBO)
Jessie Buckley – Fargo (FX)
Julianne Nicholson – Mare of Easttown (HBO)
Kat Dennings – WandaVision (Disney+)
Kathryn Hahn – WandaVision (Disney+)
Marielle Heller – The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix) 
Teyonah Parris – WandaVision (Disney+) 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
(edited)

WandaVision comments from Part 1 of a two-part interview with Kevin Feige (recently conducted by Rotten Tomatoes)...

Kevin Feige Breaks Down the MCU’s Phase 4 – Part 1: ‘WandaVision,’ ‘Falcon,’ ‘Loki' & ‘Black Widow’
Rotten Tomatoes   Jul 8, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8Dbk-SLmk

-- Kevin Feige: "Kathryn Hahn has been a phenomenon long before WandaVision and we were all fans of hers at, uh, at Marvel Studios. And she had come in for a general meeting, coincidentally right around the time we were trying to cast Agnes-slash-Agatha. And it was one of those, you know, 'why didn't we think of this before' that - 'oh, we met with Kathryn Hahn today, she was great.' Louis D'Esposito actually sat down and had a general with her, and it very quickly went from that, 'She's great, what could she do for us someday? Anyway, who's going to play Agatha? We really to to cast this part.' Wait a second. It was - it was, honestly, almost exactly like that. Seeing audiences respond for characters - that the characters they were not expecting, or that they were not asking for. I wouldn't say there was a huge contingency of people banging down the door for Agatha Harkness to appear in the MCU. But she's a great character, portrayed by great actress. And by the first few episodes, people are asking, where is she going to show up again? What else is she going to do? I think the same thing's happening right now with John Walker from the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series, and certainly with Mobius M. Mobius, as portrayed by Owen Wilson in the Loki series. So that is something that is so important to the MCU, is including new characters. The comic is filled with many lifetimes of spectacular characters. Uh, and when you find the best actors to portray them, uh, it can quickly go from - from an audience never hearing of a character to them upset with us that we haven't already announced their own standalone movie. And that makes us all very happy."

-- Kevin Feige: "The supernatural sorcery with Doctor Strange, which you saw, not only in his movie, but in Infinity War and Endgame, um, and - and explaining the powers we'd seen, uh, Wanda have throughout the movies, now having this connection to witchcraft and - and magic, um, again right from the Marvel comics - it's always been there - uh, it's fun to be able to figure out a way to - to bring more of that into the MCU."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Here's what it WAS nominated for (although maybe a list of not-nominated-for would be shorter! :) )

WandaVision's 23 noms include

• Limited Series
  • Actor Limited Series
  • Actress Limited Series
  • Supporting Actress Limited Series
  • Production Design for Half Hour Narrative Program
  • 3 Writing Limited Series nods
  • Casting
  • Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes
  • Directing
  • 2 Single Camera Picture Editing
  • Period/Character Hairstyling
  • Main Title Design
  • Period/character non-prosthetic make-up
  • Original Dramatic Score
  • Music & Lyrics
  • Main Title Theme
  • Music Supervision
  • Sound Editing and Mixing in a Limited Series
  • Special VFX

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Very happy to see this show earn some well-deserved Emmy nominations.  While it wasn't always perfect, I think the cast and crew did a great job and WandaVision was just a plain FUN show to watch on Friday's.

• Love 4
(edited)

More info about WandaVision's Emmy Award noms in the major categories...
https://ew.com/awards/emmys/emmys-2021-nominations-list/

Outstanding Limited Series
Mare of Easttown
I May Destroy You
WandaVision
The Queen's Gambit
The Underground Railroad

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
Paul Bettany, WandaVision
Hugh Grant, The Undoing
Ewan McGregor, Halston
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton
Leslie Odom Jr., Hamilton

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown
Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen's Gambit
Elizabeth Olsen, WandaVision
Cynthia Erivo, Genius: Aretha

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
Jean Smart, Mare of Easttown
Julianne Nicholson, Mare of Easttown
Kathryn Hahn, WandaVision
Phillipa Soo, Hamilton
Renee Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton
Moses Ingram, The Queen's Gambit

And WandaVision's Emmy noms in other categories (full list):

• Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour)
  • Outstanding Casting For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie
  • Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes
  • Outstanding Directing For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie
  • Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie
  • Outstanding Period And/Or Character Hairstyling
  • Outstanding Main Title Design
  • Outstanding Period And/Or Character Makeup (Non-Prosthetic)
  • Outstanding Music Composition For A Limited Or Anthology Series, Movie Or Special (Original Dramatic Score)
  • Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics
  • Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
  • Outstanding Music Supervision
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Limited Or Anthology Series, Movie Or Special
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Season Or A Movie
  • Outstanding Writing For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie

The Emmys ceremony will be broadcast on TV on Sunday, September 19, 2021, at 8 pm ET (on CBS). (source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

In this recent D23 podcast interview, Kevin Feige answered two WandaVision questions...

D23 Inside Disney Episode 96 | Kevin Feige on Black Widow
JULY 15, 2021
https://d23.com/podcast/d23-inside-disney-episode-96/

-- Kevin said that it was a total coincidence that June 2 is his birthday and also Ralph's birthday in WandaVision.

-- When asked whether we'll see Kathryn Hahn as Agatha again in the Multiverse, Kevin said: "Great actor. Great [audience] response. Why wouldn't you want to work with Kathryn Hahn again? We do want to." He also said that he wasn't surprised at how great she was as Agatha, but he thought it was "wonderful" how her performance and the "Agatha All Along" song popped.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Elizabeth Olsen and Jurnee Smollett Compare Notes on Genre-Blending Acting and Advocating for Performers on Set
Danielle Turchiano   August 12, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/elizabeth-olsen-jurnee-smollett-wandavision-lovecraft-countrry-acting-process-1235023196/ 

You both had a lot of magical or otherwise surreal elements to interact with on your shows. What did you actually have in front of you to react to on set?
Olsen: For all those little things in the air and stuff in the ’50s, it was really important to our director [Matt Shakman] that we did everything ala “Bewitched.” It was all camera tricks, it was all wires. Our head of special effects had a lineage of a father who [did] special effects before him, and so puppetry and wire work and stuff like that were things that were already in his vocabulary, but we would have our special effect guys who are used to blowing things up and putting things on fire just balancing and making sure things aren’t swinging but they have to move. Even in the ’70s when she’s pregnant and everything’s in chaos, we really had a picture on the wall going in circles; they just figured out things with magnets.

When we were filming the finale, it was during COVID, during the fires last summer, and we shot Kathryn [Hahn’s] side at the beginning of the episode when she has my boys with her magic — we had to shoot them out because you always have to shoot the side with the kid out and also Kathryn was doing wires for the first time and of course it was with a corset and it was really hot and really bad air quality and so she had to be sent home by the medic at the end of the day. And so, on my side we were running out of days, and I think we had 35 minutes to shoot my side and my reactions to all of that, and there’s quite a bit of back and forth and throwing myself to the ground and hitting a different mark that will then stitch with the stunt double being pulled. I did a weird one-woman show sans kids, sans Kathryn. Our stand-ins were such a huge part of our show and I was so grateful to have them they’re reading lines with me, and our director, Matt Shakman, was like, “If you feel like you can’t do this, we’ll just do this tomorrow.” That gave an adrenaline rush to me and it just became, “I’m just going to do it.” There’s a lot of fear when you’re like, “Oh I don’t have the elements and I am on my own, literally.” But I’ve had to do this before and I’m just scared to do it because I feel stupid. But I already look kind of stupid — I’m shooting things out of my hands — so why don’t I just lean into it as full as possible and just do it and find it in some core, guttural space of desperation? That day was bizarre, but I was actually very happy that I didn’t put it off. I feel like sometimes as actors when there are things that make us nervous it’s like, “Oh we don’t have enough time to explore so let’s do it the next day if we can,” and then you’re in your head all night about it. And so, it’s nice to just do it, even if it feels silly.
How did this sense of empowerment affect how you carried your own characters’ power? Was there something your character that inspired you to advocate for yourself or did advocating behind-the-scenes inform in-world behavior?
Olsen:
I felt very lucky coming into this, because this is a world I know. And so, where my voice of advocacy came in was for actors who are coming into the world — like Teyonah [Parris], wanting to make sure that she had everything that she needed to understand where her character was going because this was a character that’s going to continue [and] if she had everything she needed for stunts. And then similarly with Kathryn, she didn’t realize there was someone who she could use to teach her hand gestures for her magic. And so, she was feeling nervous and lost, like, “How do I do this thing?” And I was like, “Oh, how do you not have that information!?” And then having a conversation with whom you need to on the crew up top and figure out how to keep everyone else feeling like they had everything they needed. And luckily, because this was a show with characters that Paul and I had before, the pieces came together and it was a situation where your voice is welcomed and heard.
On the other end of the spectrum, “WandaVision” was a limited series but Wanda Maximoff is a character you have been coming back to for years, Elizabeth. How do you approach that longevity — the changes in her, the changes in you and the interest in revisiting her at all?
Olsen:
I’m 32 and I was 25 — so seven years ago — when I did the first one. There’s so much change that I’ve had, even as an actor and how I approach work and, I think, honor work so much more in the last five years, four years of my life. [Jurnee’s film] “Birds of Prey” feels like such a female-empowered thing, so I feel there’s a really incredible energy to beginning it, but then with me you hear people make comments about Marvel movies and it affects your own process. “WandaVision” really shook that up for me and made me reinvest.
Olsen: Luckily and also frustratingly my character was always this emotional anchor to a piece of the story. It was like the heart, if there’s a heart. Paul and I were the only romance that was really fleshed out in those movies. And so I just treated it like I would anything. And then, we have a really fun time filming “Avengers” And so it’s really goofy and the Russos are great. And so we, it feels light-hearted, and it feels like we have the last laugh at the end of the day. But when it comes to the reinvesting, that’s the whole mind game, right? Because you just hope that it continues to have this quality control, but the more the more things get made, you’re worried about that. Especially because I did a show on Facebook that was scripted, and I didn’t love the way they handled it. And it was hard. And so second season, we went back and we literally, as a team of producers, had meetings with people who ran Facebook Watch about where we thought they could improve. We had a whole presentation for them. And then eventually, they were like, “We’re not doing scripted anymore.” And so I didn’t have the greatest experience being a part of the launch of another streaming service. And so, the Disney Plus part made me nervous and then bringing these characters that are so big to television made me nervous. But Kevin Fiege explained to us that that they were not going to cut corners, and they’re going to try and create the same attention to detail, and they did. And I think it was really important for them to have that care for these first three shows that they were putting out because it was defining a new thing for them. And so, we were taken care of.

I think more for me with this with the reinvestment moving forward, I never had a six-movie or nine-movie thing; it was always two or three at a time — those were my contracts. And so, it’s always a really conscious decision. I wrapped “WandaVision” on a Wednesday and flew to London on a Friday to continue playing this part [in “Doctor Strange 2”]. I could have used getting out of the mindset, though, because they were totally different utilizations of the character and people would have had more time to understand “WandaVision” had we not just wrapped. And so there’s just a lot of, “We covered this in ‘WandaVision…'” It’s bigger than me, there’s lots of threads that are continuing on after me that I’m not aware of, and so it’s always about, “What can I get from this journey with this character that maybe I haven’t tapped into yet with her?” That’s where I keep approaching things from, so that I feel like I have some sort of strap-hang — that I can know that there’s going to be growth of some kind, even though it all maybe looks the same to other people. There is that conscious decision to learn a new element of this woman, or even of myself as an actor — something that I want to explore that I can bring to it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Article includes video of this panel discussion (go to article link to watch)...

How Dick Van Dyke Helped Classic Sitcom-Infused Disney+ Series ‘WandaVision’ Find Its Magic – Contenders TV: The Nominees
By Mike Fleming Jr    August 15, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/08/wandavision-emmy-interview-elizabeth-olsen-paul-bettany-kathryn-hahn-jac-schaeffer-matt-shakman-contenders-tv-1234815364/ 

.... At Deadline’s Contenders Television: The Nominees awards-season event, Schaeffer, director/EP Matt Shakman and series stars Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Kathryn Hahn – all Emmy-nominated – discussed the unusual series, and how it was helped in finding its inner sitcom laugh track courtesy of Dick Van Dyke, whose self-titled show was a pioneering effort given a homage in early episodes.

“I asked him for the secret sauce, what made that show work so well, and he said, if it couldn’t happen in real life it couldn’t happen in the show,” Shakman said. “Carl Reiner would gather everyone around the table on the first day of rehearsal each week and say, so what happened this weekend? He would take it all down and put it in the show. That left room to trip over ottomans and be silly but emotionally engaged. Everyone believed in that relationship between Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke as a couple. That’s what we needed too.”

Shakman and Schaeffer were so taken with his other suggestion that they shot the first episode before a live audience. “They did it in front of a live studio audience but they didn’t go back like we do today on modern sitcoms…back then they did it like a play,” Shakman said. “They rehearsed it. Curtain up, and the laughter you hear was the laughter in the audience. And they were done. It had a real lightning-in-a-bottle feel. We did that for our first show. You are holding hands and jumping off a cliff.”
As for the prospect of retiring his Vision character and ending a run in Marvel superhero movies that began when he voiced Jarvis in Iron Man, Bettany said WandaVision was a wonderful way to wrap up his work with Olsen.

“It was a beautiful culmination for all these things Lizzie and I have done together,” he said. “We really found a lane for ourselves, and this was different in tone from those movies. But you never know with Marvel, whether you’re done, or not. So I don’t want to call it the end yet. This was one of the most creative experiences of my life, joyful and free, making this show. To see it embraced by an audience the way it was, was so wonderful.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Emmy nominee Kathryn Hahn on the making of Agatha and what she really thinks of the WandaVision finale
ByDanette Chavez    August 20, 2021
https://www.avclub.com/emmy-nominee-kathryn-hahn-on-the-making-of-agatha-and-w-1847515042 

The A.V. Club: You’ve been at the center of a few adaptations recently, including I Love Dick and Mrs. Fletcher. WandaVision also has source material that you could draw from, whether you’re talking about the MCU or comic books. What kind of research did you do for the role of Agatha?
Kathryn Hahn:
Oh, I did a ton. At the beginning, I was given a huge binder from Mary Livanos, our producer, who’s kind of worked on all things Marvel. And what she gave me basically covered from the first time Agatha Harkness is mentioned in any Marvel comics. I wish I had them with me, but I believe it was, God, I mean, I think it was in #66 or #61 and all the way through—when she’s in the Fantastic Four with Nicholas Scratch. And so I was able to see how she was represented all the way through.

The way she was presented then, I kind of had to throw all that way because she’s touched on in so many areas in the Marvel comics. I had to create my own bird out of what I was given in these scripts. So, all of that is in there. This is Agatha: she’s still a centuries old witch, she just presents differently. She’s still a nanny, she’s still a mother. She still was in New Salem. She still probably is all those things, but how she manifests in this world, at this time with Wanda, is that she probably felt this unbelievable magic that she couldn’t put her finger on. It was something that she had been looking for probably for centuries and had to get to the bottom of, and found herself in Westview, pretending with Wanda just to try to find out the source of this magic beyond even her understanding of magic.

AVC: We know that magic came naturally for Wanda while Agatha spent years learning and perfecting. Did you see them as opposites, and did you make that part of your performance?
KH:
Yeah, they are. I mean, we talked about the Amadeus/Salieri relationship. [Agatha] was this older witch looking at this young, beautiful, innately, profoundly, perfectly natural God-given talented witch. Magic just came to her; she just had it. And it was something that I [as Agatha] had been studying for centuries to achieve—this chaos magic that she just had and I could never achieve. That was something that we really leaned on. It was really important to us to try to investigate. This wasn’t a typical antagonist-protagonist relationship. They could be friends, they could be mentors, they could be mother-daughter. It could be so many different things all at once; I didn’t just have to be a villain the whole time. There was many, many different layers to this relationship all at once.
AVC: Back in March, you did an interview with The New York Times, and you said you didn’t necessarily see what happens to Agatha in the finale as a punishment. That, after scheming the way she has and stealing magic for centuries, she maybe needs a rest. Do you still feel that way five months after the finale?
KH:
I’m glad you brought that up because I actually don’t. I think it’s kind of the worst. I kind of was making a joke when I said that. I actually do think it’s kind of the worst. I mean, to clip her wings and put her somewhere like that with boring people and not have anything to do. It’s the worst, it’s a nightmare. Yeah. I mean, [Wanda] basically lobotomized her.

Kat Dennings on If She'd Return for Another 'Thor' Movie or Jimmy Woo Team-up After 'WandaVision' (Exclusive)
By VICTORIA MOGHADDAMI - August 21, 2021 
https://popculture.com/celebrity/news/kat-dennings-wandavision-thor-movie-jimmy-woo-exclusive/ 

She's also open to another MCU project fans have been asking for since WandaVision's season wrapped. Marvel fans are hoping Darcy and FBI agent Jimmy Woo (played by Randall Park) will reunite one day for their own spinoff. Dennings loves the idea, but it's all up to the minds at Marvel Studios to make it a reality. "It's always up to the powers that be," Dennings said. "I think they took notice of all the comments. I would do it in a heartbeat!"

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

The Hollywood Critics Association TV Awards held its first ever awards ceremony last night, but it did it virtually - WandaVision won only two awards...

‘Ted Lasso,’ ‘The Crown,’ ‘The Mandalorian,’ ‘Cruel Summer,’ ‘New Amsterdam’ Among HCA TV Awards Winners
By Michael Schneider   Aug 29, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/ted-lasso-crown-mandalorian-cruel-summer-hca-tv-awards-2021-1235051600/ 

Best Streaming Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Live-Action Television Movie
“WandaVision” (Disney Plus)
Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Television Movie
Kathryn Hahn, “WandaVision” (Disney Plus)

You can watch the awards ceremony:
2021 HCA Television Awards - Full Ceremony from Hollywood
Hollywood Critics Association    Streamed live Aug 29, 2021

Edited by tv echo

The Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony will air Sep. 19 on CBS. Meanwhile, the first of three 2021 Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremonies took place yesterday (the other two ceremonies will take place today) - WandaVision won 2 Emmys last night...

‘WandaVision’ Wins First Emmys For Marvel Studios
By Matt Grobar  September 11, 2021 
https://deadline.com/2021/09/wandavision-wins-first-emmys-for-marvel-studios-1234831339/ 

Marvel Studios took home its first two Emmy Awards on Saturday night for its acclaimed superhero series, WandaVision.

The Disney+ miniseries won out in the categories of Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour) and Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes. Production Designer Mark Worthington, Art Director Sharon Davis and Set Decorator Kathy Orlando accepted the former award, with Costume Designer Mayes C. Rubeo, Assistant Costume Designer Joseph Feltus, Assistant Costume Designer Daniel Selon and Costume Supervisor Virginia Burton claiming the latter.

WandaVision earned a total of 23 Emmy nominations back in July. At upcoming Emmy ceremonies, the show will contend for Outstanding Limited Or Anthology Series, Lead Actress In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie (Elizabeth Olsen), Lead Actor In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie (Paul Bettany), Supporting Actress In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie (Kathryn Hahn), Directing For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie, Writing For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie, Original Main Title Theme Music, Original Music And Lyrics, Music Composition For A Limited Or Anthology Series, Movie Or Special (Original Dramatic Score), Music Supervision, Special Visual Effects In A Season Or A Movie, and Casting For A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

During Sunday's Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremonies, WandaVision picked up an additional Emmy (giving it a total of 3 Creative Arts Emmys)...

Robert Lopez, Kristen Anderson-Lopez Win Emmy for ‘WandaVision’s’ ‘Agatha All Along’
By Jon Burlingame   Sep. 12, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/wandavision-robert-lopez-kristen-creative-arts-emmys-music-1235062792/ 

Oscar-winning songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez won their first primetime Emmy Sunday night for their popular “Agatha All Along” song from Marvel Studios and Disney Plus’ limited series “WandaVision.”

Creative Arts Emmys: Complete Winners List For All Three Ceremonies
By Erik Pedersen   September 12, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/09/creative-arts-emmy-awards-2021-winners-list-1234831219/ 

Original Music and Lyrics

WandaVision • Breaking The Fourth Wall / Song Title: Agatha All Along
Disney+ • Marvel Studios
Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Music & Lyrics
Robert Lopez, Music & Lyrics
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes

WandaVision • Filmed Before A Live Studio Audience
Disney+ • Marvel Studios Mayes C. Rubeo, Costume Designer
Joseph Feltus, Assistant Costume Designer
Daniel Selon, Assistant Costume Designer
Virginia Burton, Costume Supervisor
Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour)

WandaVision
Disney+ • Marvel Studios
Mark Worthington, Production Designer
Sharon Davis, Art Director
Kathy Orlando, Set Decorator

ETA: The Primetime Emmys (announcing winners of the remaining categories) will air live Sunday, September 19, on CBS and stream on Paramount+.

DESIGNING THE SCARLET WITCH FOR THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE!
Andy Park Art   Streamed live on Sep 11, 2021

Join Marvel Studios’ Director of Visual Development, Andy Park, in a LIVE discussion of his journey designing Wanda Maximoff aka The SCARLET WITCH from her first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to her recent powerful emergence as the Scarlet Witch in the hit Disney+ show WandaVision! Special appearances will be made by his amazing Visual Development team on WandaVision in Jackson Sze, Jana Schirmer, Anthony Francisco and Phil Saunders! Since this will be LIVE open questions will be welcomed. Join us for this rare opportunity to both hear and interact with some of the visual creators of Marvel Studios!

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Wanda and Vision are #4 on this countdown list...

Best Marvel Studios' Dance Moves | Disney+
Disney Plus   Sep 18, 2021

Marvel Studios knows how to groove! For National Dance Day, we count down our favorite MCU dance moments. All of these and more are now streaming on #DisneyPlus.
Presented by The LEGO® Group.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Disappointed that Elizabeth Olsen did not win an Emmy during last night's Primetime Emmy Awards show...

From ‘The Mandalorian’ to Michael K. Williams, the Emmys Ignored a Great Year of Genre TV
By Adam B. Vary   Sep. 19, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/emmys-wandavision-mandalorian-lovecraft-country-shut-out-1235068783/ 

This year at the Emmys, genre series, especially those adapted from comic books, had their strongest showing ever, with 81 nominations across eight live-action shows. During the Creative Arts Emmys, three of those shows — “WandaVision,” “The Mandalorian” and “Lovecraft Country” — picked up 12 wins between them.
Instead, traditional dramas dominated the night, leaving all the nominated genre series winless for the evening.
Most Emmys pundits had also pegged Kathryn Hahn to win supporting actress in a limited series for her scene-stealing turn as the nosy-neighbor-turned-scheming-witch Agatha Harkness in Disney Plus’ “WandaVision,” but Julianne Nicholson won instead for HBO’s “Mare of Easttown” on the strength of her wrenchingly emotional final scenes as a mother faced with an impossible choice.

But perhaps the most telling win of the evening was for actor in a limited series. “WandaVision’s” Paul Bettany was, again, a favorite to win here, for a performance that ranged from a powerful superhero to a goofy sitcom dad to an empathic loving husband. But instead, Emmy voters chose Ewan McGregor for his larger-than-life performance as the iconic fashion designer Halston on Netflix’s “Halston” — the only win for the series out of just five nominations, compared to “WandaVision’s” 23 nods.

Genre television has always struggled to gain equal footing when it comes to awards season, but over the last few years, several major titles have pierced that prejudice, especially winners “Game of Thrones” and “Watchmen.”

This year, that pendulum swung back to more traditional fare. Certainly, as Marvel Studios’ first ever TV show, the fact that “WandaVision” earned as many nominations as it did is its own accomplishment, especially considering it took 10 years for Marvel to win the same level of recognition at the Oscars with “Black Panther.”

By the same token, it was hard to escape the impression on Sunday that Emmy voters just really did not want to vote for a show based on a comic book or with actual monsters instead of metaphoric ones.

‘WandaVision’ Snub? Why You Can’t Expect Marvel Shows To Win Emmys
Paul Tassi    Sep 20, 2021
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/09/20/wandavision-snub-why-you-cant-expect-marvel-shows-to-win-emmys/ 

We are entering a new era of the MCU, one rooted in an ongoing series of Disney Plus shows to join the blockbusters in theaters, though I do not expect anything to change even if Marvel TV is supposed to be “prestige” in some ways, like with the high-concept WandaVision.

You really only have to look at the Academy Awards ignoring pretty much the entire MCU for almost anything other than technical prizes for its entire lifespan. ....
So, Black Panther won three Oscars, though none of the “major” awards. And across all the other films, a bunch of special effects losses and no other wins.

Only rarely do we see high profile sci-fi, superhero or fantasy blockbusters cross into the mainstream with awards. The early days of Game of Thrones cleared a bunch of Emmys. Return of the King took Best Picture. We all remember Heath Ledger’s post-humous Supporting Actor win for Dark Knight. But these occasions are usually few and far between. And the MCU in particular has long been viewed by the Hollywood elite as not good enough to make the cut in favor of more traditional award-“worthy” productions. But sure, in many instances this seems almost criminal. RDJ never getting a nomination for Tony Stark. Endgame not getting a shot at Best Picture, the list goes on.

The point is, don’t expect any of this to change now that Marvel is moving to television in a big way. The Emmys are no less snobby than the Oscars when it comes to this sort of thing, and you’re just not going to see these projects winning many, if any, awards, even if they deserve to. In this case, I think WandaVision was up against some steep competition where it was nominated, even if sure, I would have loved to see at least Hahn win. But Hawkeye? Loki? She-Hulk? Ms. Marvel? Moon Knight? Keep your awards expectations in check.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Best TV shows 2021: Hacks, Mare of Easttown, The White Lotus and more
Jennifer Bisset    Sept. 22, 202
https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tv-shows-2021-hacks-mare-of-easttown-the-white-lotus-and-more/

WandaVision
Six hours, released over nine weekly episodes, find Marvel's Wanda and Vision hopping through eras of sitcom TV, starting in the black-and-white '50s. Why are Earth's mightiest heroes now a house wife and a suit working a nondescript day job? It might have something to do with -- spoiler -- Vision's death in Avengers: Endgame and a grieving Wanda exploring the full extent of her reality-altering powers. Weird, funny and laden with Easter eggs, WandaVision is an experimental win for Marvel TV.

-- Jennifer Bisset

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Nominees include WandaVision, Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn...

2021 People's Choice Awards: Complete List of Nominees
By ALLISON CRIST      OCT 27, 2021 
https://www.eonline.com/news/1305316/2021-peoples-choice-awards-complete-list-of-nominees 

Take a look at the full list of 2021 People's Choice Awards nominees below and vote now on the official PCAs site.

The People's Choice Awards airs live on E! and NBC on Tuesday, Dec. 7 at 9 p.m.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2