Type keyword(s) to search

WandaVision In The Media

• Start Topic

This February 18, 2021 The Hollywood Reporter interview with Teyonah Parris (who plays Monica Rambeau) contains spoilers, even in the article headline, I believe...

Spoiler

Monica seems to have an issue with Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel (Brie Larson), and most people surmise that it’s because Carol wasn’t around when Maria got sick. Will the remainder of WandaVision provide any clarity on this matter, or is this thread being saved for later?
What I can say is that we have a couple more episodes to go, and we also know that Monica will be in Captain Marvel II. So there’s quite a bit of real estate left for us to explore that relationship. I don’t want to ruin it for anyone so I’ll just leave it at that.

Captain Marvel II is also a Candyman reunion between you and filmmaker Nia DaCosta. When you found out you were going to play Monica again in Captain Marvel II, was Nia already attached as director?
No comment. I don’t know if I’m giving away anything by saying something. So I’m not going to say anything to that, but I’m really excited to join Nia and for us to come back together again. And to join Brie and Iman [Vellani]. It’s just going to be a wonderful experience, especially with Nia being the first black female to direct a Marvel Studios film. It’s gonna be exciting times.
Since you can’t say anything specific about the remaining three episodes, can you spare a couple adjectives that best describe your reaction upon reading them?
Epic and incredibly sad. I mean, the whole show is incredibly sad to me, but I’m putting those words together.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

WandaVision Episode 8 Runtime Reportedly Revealed
By ADAM BARNHARDT - February 21, 2021
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-episode-8-runtime-revealed/ 

It looks like the longest episode of WandaVision yet will be on your television sets before too long. This coming week, it looks increasingly likely WandaVision Episode 8 will carry a runtime of 47 minutes. The latest reports come from the same WandaVision leaker who revealed that last week's episode was going to be 37 minutes long, a tidbit that proved accurate. Episode 5, "On a Very Special Episode..." is currently the longest of the series, with a runtime lasting 42 minutes.

Should this latest leak also end up true, that means the WandaVision finale would need to carry a 61-minute runtime should Marvel Studios want to meet the six-hour benchmark many fans continue to cling to.

Since initial reports suggesting everything would end around six hours long, Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige has clarified the comments, saying Disney+ shows from the outfit could be anywhere from four-and-a-half to six hours long.

“Well, we're looking a little differently. We're looking at it as developing them as either six hour-episodes, or nine or 10 half-hour episodes,” Feige previously told Collider ahead of the release of WandaVision. “So, for instance, WandaVision started that way and Falcon and the Winter Soldier as 30 minutes, but because it's streaming, it's Disney+, and the rules have blurred over the years, yes."

WANDAVISION: This Week's Episode Will Reportedly Be The Longest Instalment Of The Series To Date
Josh Wilding   2/22/2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/wandavision/wandavision-this-weeks-episode-will-reportedly-be-the-longest-instalment-of-the-series-to-date-a182639#gs.tnqyaz 

According to Reddit user u/Plenty_Echidna_544 (who has been verified by the site's moderators and correctly revealed the runtime of previous episodes), this Friday's will be a whopping 47 minutes long.

Episode five, "On a Very Special Episode...", clocked in at 42 minutes, but it's worth noting that it was 34 minutes without credits. That likely means episode eight will be roughly 39 minutes in length. That's not bad, and leaves plenty of time for some major reveals about what's been happening. 

It’s Been Agatha All Along – An Interview With WandaVision’s Kathryn Hahn
by Dana Abercrombie     February 21, 2021
https://thekoalition.com/2021/its-been-agatha-all-along-an-interview-with-wandavisions-kathryn-hahn 

“In all those classic sitcoms there’s always that person that busts through the doors and sits on the couch but you never [know] their personal life, you never get to know anything about them. In that classic way, I was able to walk in as Agnes with all those beautiful tropes set up behind me to just build on.” But now everything has changed.
... Co-star Paul Bettany describes Kathryn’s casting as instantaneous and serendipitous.

“It was one of those miraculous things that happened. In my memory it all happened very quickly. It was a rare general meeting, which we don’t usually have a lot of time to do, but Kathryn came in and sat down with [Co-President of Marvel Studios] Luigi Esposito and she was a fan of what we were up to and we’re fans of hers and at exactly that same time we were sitting I think in that writer’s room trying to think of who to play Agnes.”

“It probably taken two [or] five seconds for somebody to say, “Wait, what about Kathryn? She was in yesterday.” We don’t usually cast like that. It’s not usually like, ‘Who came in the other day? Let’s cast them.’ It’s almost never like that, as a matter of fact, but it’s usually never as perfect as this. I think it happened very very quickly. I don’t wanna speak for [creator] Jac Schaeffer but I think also solidified the voice of the character [and] is the greatest nosy neighbor in the world right now,” Bettany continued.
While the world of WandaVision was created as escapism from reality, it is a reflection of women roles throughout the decades both depicted on television shows and in society. The way women conducted themselves throughout the decade and how they were forced to change themselves to fit in with society is what Kathryn connected to the most. “I feel like this is the sitcom is always represented; this kind of aspirational view, this comfortable like ideal,” Kathryn said.

“The trick was not only to [represent] each decade but [to] present this kind of comfortable ideal. The structure of a sitcom, the set up, the misunderstanding and the resolution is such a comfortable comforting
structure that we have baked in us.”
“The trick was to not satirize it, but to get inside of each one and that’s what I think was such tonally, such a trick to pull off which I’m still so blown away by [director] Matt [Shakman] and by Jac being able to do that ’cause that’s difficult tonally,” Kathryn finished.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Marvel's Kevin Feige Talks 'WandaVision' Future, Netflix's Heroes and R-Ratings
FEBRUARY 24, 2021 11:27AM by Aaron Couch
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-kevin-feige-talks-wandavision-future-netflixs-heroes-and-r-ratings 

A WandaVision season two, however, is not something currently occupying Feige's mind, as that series will feed into a feature film: Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, due out March 25, 2022 and featuring Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda Maximoff.

"When we start with a movie, we hope there is a part two, we hope there is part three, but we aren't factoring that into the part 1," said Feige, who noted he'd been at Marvel too long to say a definite yes or no to anything regarding WandaVision season two.

"Some of the shows that I mentioned that we are about to start filming, we are keeping in mind a structure that would lead into a season two or a season three in a more direct way compared to a show like WandaVision that goes into a feature," said Feige.

On March 18, Marvel will debut Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan's Falcon & The Winter Soldier, with Feige confirming the series will consist of six, roughly one-hour episodes. Feige noted that six hours is the sweet spot the studio has found for their series. In the case of WandaVision, that meant nine, slightly shorter episodes.
His comments come as WandaVision winds down its season, which concludes March 5. The show was Marvel Studios' first foray into episodic storytelling. While no viewing numbers have been made available to the public, it has garnered the type of positive audience reaction Feige is accustomed to from Marvel's big-screen properties.

‘WandaVision’ Lives Inside TV. Just Like We Do.
By James Poniewozik   Feb. 25, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/25/arts/television/wandavision-pandemic.html 

In early 2021, a streaming series about television as both escape and prison is practically a documentary. “WandaVision,” a pleasantly weird ornament on the narrative megalith of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is TV’s latest diversion from the pandemic and perhaps its best metaphor.

It is also a meta feast for pop culture scrutinizers, a mash-up of two American mass-culture mythologies. It smushes the chocolate of superherodom into the peanut butter of feel-good sitcoms, making for two great empty-calorie tastes that, together, add up to a balanced meal.
Fortunately, “WandaVision” is more than parody. It excels first as bittersweet romance and second as horror, playing off our dual relationship with family sitcoms: that we return to them as a place of familiarity and comfort, even as we know that they’re uncanny and false.
Olsen is a comic chameleon in the role. Her “I Love Lucy”-era housewife is a glowing orb of screwball energy; in a “Modern Family”-like mockumentary, she seems possessed by the spirit of Julie Bowen. Bettany is more of an odd fit — he’s two TV conventions in one, the straight man and the secret alien — but plays both aspects of the role gamely while selling Vision’s slowly dawning unease.
But “WandaVision” has been fun while it’s lasted, turning what could have been a one-joke spoof into something both chilling and relatable. How many of us, spending the past year in our own bubbles, beat a retreat to the virtual comforts of Stars Hollow or Dunder Mifflin? Out there, in the real world, things are sad and cold and wrong. Inside the four corners of the screen, we’re home again.

WANDAVISION EPISODE 8 REVIEW: "WANDA'S GRIEF ON FULL SHOW"
By Jack Shepherd      February 26, 2021
https://www.gamesradar.com/wandavision-episode-8-review-recap-spoilers/ 

Marvel may have just delivered the most traumatic Clip Show of all time. That’s not a sentence I thought I would be writing in a WandaVision review, but here we are, at the penultimate episode of this excellent series that, despite Kevin Feige’s warning, really is weirder than anyone could have imagined.
That one scene adds so much depth to Wanda’s character – her hatred for Stark made sharper, and the reason for WandaVision’s framing as a sitcom made even more devastating. That’s the beauty of this entire show: giving space for a sidelined Avenger to truly develop as an actual, three-dimensional character. 
Whatever happens in the next week’s finale – which looks more and more like it’s going to leave more questions unanswered than answered – there’s no denying that Elizabeth Olsen has been stunning throughout the series, and "Previously On" highlights her acting prowess with Olsen perfectly playing Wanda throughout the decades and anchoring the time-skipping episode. There was already talk of an Emmy hype and this episode seals the deal. Kathryn Hahn also shines as Agatha, though the opening Salem Witch Trials falls slightly flat – the magic doesn’t quite have the same magnificent look on a laptop screen compared to the cinema (a problem that may affect the upcoming The Falcon and the Winter Soldier more than WandaVision).

WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 8 Review
By Matt Purslow 26 Feb 2021
https://www.ign.com/articles/wandavision-season-1-episode-8-review 

Episode 8 certainly has its flaws, then, but there are enough components that worked to prevent itself from feeling truly unnecessary. This largely comes from Elizabeth Olsen herself, who provides a sense of heft to the episode’s emotional sequences. As ever in the MCU, it's in the fleeting, quieter moments that we see the heroes’ most interesting character traits, and for episode 5 that comes in the flashback to Wanda and Vision at the Avengers HQ. Here we see that it’s not just Vision’s death that has caused all this grief, but a life of accumulating tragedy that has “drowned” her. Olsen really conveys Wanda’s exhaustion here, and is wonderfully matched by Paul Bettany, who’s back in classic Vision mode for a lovely tender moment.
Episode 8 is a reminder of the tragedy that sits at the heart of WandaVision. It may be weird magic hostage drama that manifests as a sitcom, but at its core the show is an exploration of how immense sadness can destroy a person. While several scenes successfully carry this emotion, much of this episode feels like a recap. But for all but the most casual viewer, much of these revisited moments will already be known or at least pieced together through the show’s gradually unfolding plot. This structure of flashbacks also means any major development of last week’s Agatha Harkness reveal is sadly sidelined. However, the focus on Wanda herself does develop and double down on her destiny and the idea of the Scarlet Witch, something that the show definitely needed. But with no major twists to alter the pretty straight course that the show has been on since episode one, it does feel like WandaVision has only delayed the start of its big finale with this week’s chapter.

‘WANDAVISION’ AUDIENCE BIGGER THAN NETFLIX’S ‘BRIDGERTON’ IN JANUARY, DATA SUGGESTS
By Kevin Tran    February 25, 2021
https://variety.com/vip/wandavision-audience-bigger-than-netflixs-bridgerton-in-january-data-suggests-1234913691/ 

Despite not even having its entire first season available in January, Disney+’s “WandaVision” was unmatched in U.S. popularity by other titles across major video streaming platforms last month.   

That’s according to data provided exclusively to Variety Intelligence Platform by connected-TV analytics provider TVision, which found that “WandaVision” was the most viewed title of January 2021 across measured platforms. 

(Read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

‘WandaVision’ Decided to Recast Pietro ‘Relatively Early’ in Development Process, Kevin Feige Says
Jennifer Maas | February 24, 2021
https://www.thewrap.com/wandavision-pietro-recasting-evan-peters-aaron-taylor-johnson-kevin-feige/

Marvel boss Kevin Feige said the “WandaVision” team decided “relatively early on in the development process” to swap one Pietro for another on the genre-bending series, which takes place after Wanda Maximoff’s (Elizabeth Olsen) twin brother was killed during the events of 2015’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

“Well, there are discussions on everything, at one point or another,” Feige said during Disney+’s virtual Television Critics Association press tour on Wednesday. His comments came after he was asked if there were conversations about bringing back Aaron Taylor-Johnson (who played Wanda/Scarlet Witch’s now-deceased twin Pietro/Quicksilver in the MCU movie) for Pietro’s arc on “WandaVision,” rather than recasting the role with Evan Peters (who played the character in several 20th Century Fox-produced “X-Men” films, prior to Disney’s acquisition of the studio).

“That’s one of the fun things about developing these things or blue-skying it in the rooms,” Feige continued. “My favorite part of the process is always the very, very beginning when we’re figuring out what something could be and at the very, very end when we’re refining it and putting it out into the world. So there were all sorts of discussions, but I believe we ended up going with what you saw relatively early on in the development process. It’s just another way that certain people were messing around with Wanda.”

WandaVision Finale Runtime Reportedly Longest of Series
By ADAM BARNHARDT - February 26, 2021
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-finale-run-time-revealed-longest-episode/ 

The longest episode of WandaVision looks to be on the way. After the show's eighth episode set the bar higher with a 47-minute runtime, it appears WandaVision Episode 9 will clock in right at 50 minutes. Of course, this is all dependent on the length of the credits from market to market, but the baseline provides at least three more minutes of content than what appeared in this week's episode. The runtime comes from Redditor u/Plenty_Echidna_544, the same one behind the runtime leaks of the past two episodes, both of which turned out to be accurate.

This means the series will technically fall 11 minutes short of the six-hour benchmark most fans still bring up as an overall runtime for all Disney+ shows from Marvel Studios — but close enough, right?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The Performers of the Week (TIE): Lydia West and Elizabeth Olsen
By Team TVLine / February 27 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/02/27/elizabeth-olsen-wandavision-performance-episode-8/ 

THE PERFORMER | Elizabeth Olsen

THE SHOW | WandaVision

THE EPISODE | “Previously On” (Feb. 26, 2021)

THE PERFORMANCE | Truthfully, Olsen has been worthy of Performer of the Week recognition for just about every week of WandaVision‘s run. As the Disney+ series gave us lessons in sitcom history, Olsen dazzled at every turn, keeping us as spellbound as the town of Westview with her charming comedic performance.

And though WandaVision seems to have left the sitcom framework behind for good, Olsen’s performance in Episode 8 was no less compelling, if tonally different, than her many weeks spent as a TV housewife.

During “Previously On,” Wanda was forced to revisit some of her life’s most traumatic and devastating moments, depicting for Agatha Harkness (a delightfully devious Kathryn Hahn) how life inside the Hex came to exist. With each flashback she encountered — her parents’ death, her time at Hydra, a bittersweet memory of Vision comforting her — Wanda looked more and more burdened by her own grief, as if it were a tangible weight hanging around her shoulders. And Olsen, with her weary eyes and quivering bottom lip, managed to portray how deep Wanda’s sadness ran without saying many words at all.

At the end of the episode, upon visiting the patch of New Jersey ground where Vision had planned to build a life with Wanda, her grief and fury quite literally boiled over, bursting out of Wanda in an explosion of red light that transported Westview back to the ’60s. But as effective as Olsen’s full-bodied sobs were in that moment, it was an earlier, quieter scene that left an even more indelible impression on us: Wanda’s heartbreaking visit to Vision’s corpse at S.W.O.R.D. headquarters. We’ve already seen how convincingly Olsen can communicate Wanda’s all-out rage — but here, as a gutted Wanda admitted, “I can’t feel you” to Vision’s lifeless face, the actress proved she can also shatter us with her voice barely above a whisper.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

[background: the line “what is grief, if not love preserving?” got some love on Twitter, then because Twitter is Twitter, backlash soon followed, and so this thread is a response to some of that backlash:]

I understand that "efficient" cinematic dialogue tuned to make sure none of the drunks in the back row [misses it] gets wearing after a while

I am a big brain nerd too, I also love the Coen Brothers, I used to be a frequently seen face in "black boxes" of various kinds 

And while a genius remains a genius whatever idiom they're writing in, clumsy derivative work remains the majority of what you see in any venue, unfortunately

"Writing to avoid a cliché" IS A CLICHÉ

The bag o' tricks to say a thing without saying it isn't that fucking deep 

Yeah, I can sit here too and think of maybe six or seven ways to say something like "What is grief but love persevering?" without actually saying it ("Like a slogan on a Hallmark card, barf")

So can anyone who's come up through this kind of writing community 

The thing being, if you've done it a couple times, the trick to hide the sentiment is as obvious as the sentiment itself

The ways people try to avoid the cliché become the new cliché

There is no escaping the trap of self-consciousness over emotional vulnerability 

And the ability to sneak past someone's defenses and get them to care anyway even though "Ugh, I've been hearing that it's okay to cry at funerals since I saw it on Sesame Street when I was five, LAME" is a subtle thing for which words themselves are often not the best tool 

A big, big part of what makes this scene work is that in context it's about Vision being disarmingly sincere and guileless, that he is a being without insecurity over his own vulnerability and therefore without irony 

Which is part of Wanda's whole shtick, that she bounces back and forth between arch irony and aching earnestness just like the sitcoms she loves 

That Vision, for one thing, has a completely different energy and communication style than Pietro, who constantly hid his emotions behind his need to be an asshole at all times (which, because it was so consistent, Wanda could always see through) 

(Which was the whole deal with Fake Pietro

He was trying to play this aspect of her real brother but he fucked up because he never drew a line around it because he isn't faking, he *really is* just an asshole

Kind of a commentary on 2000s comedy falling down the irony hole) 

But anyway

It is an intrinsic part of Wanda's character that she loves the old mawkish sentimentality of 1950s b/w sitcoms for [what] they are

That's the whole premise

Of course the man she fell in love with would be a guy who says Hallmark platitudes *and really means them* 

(Also, forgive me, I tried to fix a couple of the typos; my changes are in italics)

• Love 3
(edited)

WANDAVISION Storyboards Reveal Much Darker Dialogue From Wanda During Visit To S.W.O.R.D. Headquarters
Josh Wilding   March 1, 2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/wandavision/wandavision-storyboards-reveal-much-darker-dialogue-from-wanda-during-visit-to-sword-headquarters-a182809#gs.uvohwz

Friday's episode of WandaVision took Wanda Maximoff on a trip down memory lane, and revealed what really happened when she visited S.W.O.R.D. Headquarters.

As expected, Director Hayward lied when he claimed Wanda attacked the base and stole Vision's body, and some newly revealed storyboards from the episode feature dialogue that didn't make it into the episode itself. 

Asking where Vision's body is, Wanda says: "I'm sick of everyone acting like Tony Stark is the only person we lost. Like he's the only Avenger there ever was. Too bad then, if you're Natasha, but at least she was flesh and blood, right? But where are the memorials for Vision? No moving tributes for the synthezoid?"
It's unclear why this was changed, but it would have been a cool line to include. Perhaps it was because it perceived Wanda in too much of a villainous light? After all, this flashback was meant to reveal that she's not the villain Hayward led us to believe, so comments like this might have been a step too far.

Larger image of storyboard pic that's quoted in the article above:
EuIpUVUXEAMFaKs?format=jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Who knows...I would have loved it, though, because it REALLY p... me off that all the attention went to Tony. But then, maybe that's why the cut it, too meta in a negative way.

I don't know. Meta yes, but negatively? One of the panels has Wanda very clearly state that she'd just gotten back from being Snapped and that Vision wasn't where she left him. We have to remember that she emerged from that portal straight into the battle with Thanos, but as far as she knew Vision's body was still in Wakanda. 'Please. Please. I don't know what to do. Since we got back I- He wasn't where I left him and -- he deserves a burial at least. I deserve his burial.' Her anger over Tony being the only one to get any attention would have been justified, IMO, but she was also begging for some compassion, for someone to give a damn about his sacrifice. Their sacrifice. Might have muddied up the waters too much, because the one place the writers have failed here is not having Wanda meet some nebulous quotient for feeling bad about what she's doing. If it's explicit in the script that Vision died as a hero trying to save the world and deserves if not a funeral with full honors then at least a ceremonial plaque in his memory, we'd have to think on how his unimportance to people he lost his life for drove her to this, at least a little bit.

• Love 6

I don't think it would have shown Wanda in a negative, let alone villainous light. I don't know why it wasn't included but I don't think it was for that reason Josh Wilding. 

Tony deserves a lot of tributes, but so does everyone else who died trying to defeat Thanos and it's not surprising that Wanda in her initial grief would be yelling that, especially since one of the last things she remembers is having to kill him herself. 

I get why Tony was the focus of the Endgame funeral both in universe and on a meta level and of FFH since he was Peter's surrogate father figure and Happy was in the movie. I assume the other TV shows like this one will focus on other characters ( at least hopefully Nat in Hawkeye please!) 

• Love 4

It is too bad that line didn’t make it. I would have loved for Natasha to get some acknowledgment, plus it would have been a clearer indicator of the magnitude of Wanda’s loss. 

• Love 10

Including that shifts the narrative a bit.  From what actually made it to air it's all about Wanda's desire for closure and to honor Vision herself.  Burying Vision didn't seem to imply the equivalent of a full state funeral to make sure he got the respect he deserved.  Whether or not the rest of the world feels the loss is irrelevant to that, plus for half of them Vision's death was five years ago. 

Plus we see in FFH that while Tony is still the main focus Nat and Vision do get included in the memorial segment (so even if he survives the series Vision isn't going to be Avenging in public like he was before).  No reason to bitch about something that we know won't be entirely true.

The Buick just raises so many questions:

• Did Wanda buy this car? Like, she checked Kelley Blue Book and everything and was like, “I think a reasonably priced sedan is my best option”?
  • Can she not afford, like, a Tesla? Or even a used BMW?
  • Hang on, do the Avengers not have salaries?
  • Are the Avengers unpaid government interns?
  • How does the Avengers program not include company cars?
  • And please don’t tell me Buick is their sponsor. Bruce Banner’s driving around in a green Enclave?

https://www.theringer.com/marvel-cinematic-universe/2021/3/1/22303736/wanda-maximoff-driving-buick-verano-wandavision-episode-8

• Love 2
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Including that shifts the narrative a bit.  From what actually made it to air it's all about Wanda's desire for closure and to honor Vision herself.  Burying Vision didn't seem to imply the equivalent of a full state funeral to make sure he got the respect he deserved.  Whether or not the rest of the world feels the loss is irrelevant to that, plus for half of them Vision's death was five years ago. 

Plus we see in FFH that while Tony is still the main focus Nat and Vision do get included in the memorial segment (so even if he survives the series Vision isn't going to be Avenging in public like he was before).  No reason to bitch about something that we know won't be entirely true.

Far From Home is months later though. Does Wanda know about that? And since they include Tony and Nat, they weren't up five years ago, since they weren't dead five years ago. So how do we know that her actions here aren't what leads to anyone giving a rat's ass about the "dead robot"? Those memorials probably weren't up within three weeks of the return Snap, so she doesn't know that in a movie that takes place a couple months from now there will be a digital memorial. The MCU was so good at keeping things in timeline order that I think people forget that the tv shows aren't strictly in that order with the movies for a bit.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

This was funny, but he had the obvious answer: 99% it was a rental. I mean, she'd been back in existence for about a week.

Probably true, but I could see Wanda choosing that brand of car, too, on the basis that it was safe, familiar, and a comfortable American brand, in keeping with her preference for standard American sitcoms.  Plus, it would be much easier to transform a Buick into a classic sitcom car than a Toyota. 

(edited)

WandaVision Director Answers Big Question About Scarlet Witch’s Powers
ADAM HOLMES     MAR. 1. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2563665/wandavision-director-answers-big-question-about-scarlet-witchs-powers?pv=related_list

As a quick refresher, up until now, we’d been led to believe in the MCU that just like Pietro with his super speed, Wanda Maximoff had gained her telekinetic, telepathic and reality-altering powers when she came into contact with the Mind Stone. But as it turned out, these powers had been latent in her since childhood, and the yellow Infinity Stone instead simply fully awakened and augmented them. When CinemaBlend’s own Nick Venable asked WandaVision director Matt Shakman if it had always been the plan for Wanda’s powers to be explained this way, or if this was something specifically crafted for WandaVision, Shakman answered with the following:

"Yes, I mean, this was crafted as part of the show, for sure. But it was a very early idea to go back and to be able to explore these moments of loss, and to give them the weight that they deserve. And to approach these quiet, intimate scenes that maybe wouldn’t have space in a movie where its runtime is only two hours. We’ve certainly been at Avengers headquarters before and seen them make paprikash together, and it’s charming and wonderful. But what was that one moment? What was that one moment where they really connected? And that was the opportunity to create [Episode 8's] scene at the Avengers headquarters where Vision is able to offer her comfort, and where you get to sense that are completing each other in some way, and finding that connection, that spark. But it’s also, you know, exploring her childhood and why sitcoms, and why does she find so much comfort in them? And being able to explore, also, Hydra – those moments before we get to meet her in Age of Ultron, or in the tag in Winter Soldier."
With just one episode left to go, there are a lot of loose ends for WandaVision to wrap up, including a particularly intriguing vision when we looked back at when Wanda Maximoff was being experimented on by HYDRA. When she came into contact with the Mind Stone, Wanda saw a vision of an unknown figure dressed an awful lot like how Scarlet Witch is garbed in the comics. When questioned about this vision, Matt Shakman responded:

"As I said before, this is a show about looking at the past, but also a show about looking at the future. And Wanda has been on a course where she’s encountered many events that have altered her future, but there is a destiny that awaits her."

Edited by tv echo

Well, I found the soundtrack of the show on Spotify and I am just in a very happy place right now. Not just with all the theme song versions through the decades but the commercial music and the various hits and ambient music. For example, 'Daydream Believer' is playing right now and, come on, it's just wonderful.

• Love 4
(edited)

This is cool (make sure you watch to the end)...

FallonVision with Elizabeth Olsen (WandaVision Parody) | The Tonight Show
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon    Mar 3, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

This is cool (make sure you watch to the end)...

FallonVision with Elizabeth Olsen (WandaVision Parody) | The Tonight Show
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon    Mar 3, 2021

That was hilarious, and the interview afterward was really good.  How does she bend backwards like that?

• Love 3
(edited)

What a lovely interview with Paul Bettany. (Post-finale, so all the spoilers)  https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a35709518/paul-bettany-wandavision-finale-interview/

Turns out that scene in the Avengers compound was rewritten during rehearsal: 

Bettany, by way of Vision, left us with a gift. During WandaVision’s filming, Bettany and Olsen were rehearsing a scene set in the Avengers compound. It’s around the event of 2016’s Captain America: Civil War. Wanda’s mourning her brother, Pietro. Vision doesn’t quite compute this grief. He’s a robot, you know, as much as Bettany's performance would have you think otherwise. 

Something's off with the scene. Bettany goes to Jac Schaeffer, WandaVision’s head writer. "I just don't think the scene in the Avengers compound is doing what we need it to do,” he says. “I think it needs to be somehow about the purpose of grief and that grief isn't all bad." She comes back with this speech.

Edited by arc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Heh, got to love Esquire being "dude, that was us! It was an Esquire video you starting this internet breaking trolling!" 

I really like all the interviews focusing on what an insane journey he's had in the MCU. 

And I love the fact that that line came out of a discussion that the scene wasn't working. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Heh, got to love Esquire being "dude, that was us! It was an Esquire video you starting this internet breaking trolling!" 

I really like all the interviews focusing on what an insane journey he's had in the MCU. 

And I love the fact that that line came out of a discussion that the scene wasn't working. 

He inspired a line of dialogue that's going to long outlive this show.  Admittedly it's not writing it, but it's something to be proud of, since it transforms that scene totally. His acting instincts realized that.  

That line of dialogue is SO good, I think as an actor reading the page the first time, a shiver should have gone down his spine. 

It's probably been discussed, but I didn't learn until yesterday that the team that wrote "Agatha All Along" had a previous hit. An inconsequential little ditty called "Let It Go. 

Still surprised it's an ear worm? 

Here's a bit more about the songwriting. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/wandavision-agatha-all-along-songwriters-1234922920/amp/

They actually wrote ALL the faux TV themes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

If you haven't yet watched the finale, be warned: some of these articles contain spoilers for that finale...

The emotional catharsis of 'Wandavision' in a year of grief
By Scottie Andrew,   March 6, 2021
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/06/us/wandavision-grief-disney-plus-trnd/index.html

For all its fantastical trappings, "WandaVision" is perhaps the Marvel project most rooted in reality. Its depictions of trauma, of grief and loss -- filtered through a mystery-laden, superpower-driven plot, natch -- are moving and resonant.

Wanda built walls -- a contained world, really -- so she could drone out her searing pain with laugh tracks and pratfalls. Watching her slowly start to break them down has been cathartic for audiences living through a year of relentless loss.
Superhero stories are "safe way" for us to broach topics we'd hesitate to explore before -- namely, death -- because their pain is fictional, said Jill Harrington, a clinical social worker who specializes in grief and an adjunct assistant professor at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, among other appointments.
"Superheroes are our modern-day mythology," she said. "We have this curiosity with our own birth and our own demise. Mythology has been a way for us to personify death in a better attempt for us to try to understand it."
"The transformative process they go through is one that we very much go through," she said. "What they find is that they lean on the love they have in their grief and really emerge to use those powers."
The result is a weird, moving and resonant work about grief and trauma and the nonlinear path of navigating both.

TV Had Never Seen Anything Like WandaVision Before
SHIRLEY LI     MARCH 5, 2021
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/03/how-wandavision-became-the-new-appointment-tv/618218/

WandaVision, as a streaming series tied to a massive franchise that rolled out an episode a week, turned out to be the closest thing to appointment viewing that the overcrowded television landscape has had in a while. The show wasn’t just must-see; it was also must-discuss TV. Fans watched not only to keep up with the story, but also—and perhaps more importantly—to be able to take part in the intense theorizing, meme-making, and Easter egg–hunting that tended to start even before an episode ended.
But perhaps what made the series feel so singular is the fact that it was strangely undefinable and uncategorizable. It was neither sitcom nor drama; it was both a self-contained project and the gateway to the next phase of a larger franchise. That ambiguity meant that viewers had seemingly endless material to discuss: Some critics focused on the storytelling, while others concentrated on discussing the state of television and film, an impulse that may have been egged on by WandaVision being an extended homage to sitcoms and TV history. It was intentionally meta and experimental, an “in-between” work that, with its weekly rollout, operated as neither traditional TV nor a bingeable streaming series. “The show is a love letter to the golden age of television,” the head writer Jac Schaeffer said last year. “We’re paying tribute and honoring all of these incredible shows and people who came before us, [but] we’re also trying to blaze new territory.”

The Scarlet Witch becomes the sorceress supreme in the satisfying conclusion of WandaVision
Stephen Robinson    March 05, 2021
https://tv.avclub.com/the-scarlet-witch-becomes-the-sorceress-supreme-in-the-1846414481

When Vision (Paul Bettany) confronted the genocidal Ultron at the climax of the second Avengers movie, he agreed with the villain that humanity is doomed but wisely noted, “A thing isn’t beautiful because it lasts.” The question at the heart of WandaVision is whether Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) could ever see the beauty hidden within her grief. “The Series Finale” provides the answer in a moving final episode that lands with only a few missteps.
- When saying goodbye to Wanda, Vision sheds a single tear. This is a call back to Avengers No. 58, “Even An Android Can Cry.”

‘WandaVision’ “The Series Finale” Recap: What Now For Scarlet Witch, Vision & The Kids?
By Anthony D'Alessandro   March 5, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/03/wandavision-season-finale-the-series-finale-recap-scarlet-witch-spoilers-doctor-strange-captain-marvel-2-1234707220/

While we were all waiting at the edge of our seats for major revelations tonight, WandaVision‘s last episode wraps up in a favorable, although predictable way: Good triumphs over evil, i.e. Agnes doesn’t rule the day; and Wanda transforms into the Scarlet Witch as expected.
... In a teary moment, Vision asks Wanda, “What am I?” She answers, “You, Vision, are the piece of the mind stone that lives in me. You are a body of wires and blood and bone that I created. You are my sadness and my hope. But mostly, you are my love.”

And if that didn’t make you cry, well, then you’ve got the stone cold heart of Thanos.

'WandaVision' Finale Cameo Divides Fans
MARCH 05, 2021 8:18AM by Ryan Parker
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wandavision-finale-cameo-divides-fans

Nothing is certain except death, taxes — and disappointed fans screaming into the void of social media. The WandaVision finale has unsurprisingly left some viewers feeling let down, specifically over the much-hyped guest appearance.
Cameo woes aside, WandaVision was a critical and fan success. And the finale, overall, was well received by many sharing their praise on social media. During the season, the show twice led to a brief outage for some Disney+ users due to the simultaneous streaming demand.

The ‘WandaVision’ finale did what it had to do — not what we wanted it to do
By David Betancourt   March 6, 2021
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/03/06/wandavision-finale-agatha/

“WandaVision” put such a spell on us over these last nine weeks, the internet had many of us believing and hoping that the show was a portal to satisfying the hopes and dreams of Marvel Studios fandom.

The Fantastic Four. The X-Men. A Doctor Strange cameo. The devil of the Marvel Universe: Mephisto. The script to “Spider-Man: No Way Home.” All of that and the kitchen sink was supposed to be in the “WandaVision” finale. Except that none of it was.
“WandaVision” was everything it was supposed to be. A superhero love story packed into the next big Marvel Studios event, with the second post-credit scene hinting that even after a Doctor Strange sequel, we may not have seen the last of Wanda. She’s now the most relevant Avenger around.

Hmm - I think I would still give it to Elizabeth Olsen. Kathryn Hahn's acting always seems a bit too over the top for me...

Performer of the Week: Kathryn Hahn
By Team TVLine / March 6 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/03/06/kathryn-hahn-wandavision-performance-finale-agatha-harkness/

THE PERFORMER | Kathryn Hahn

THE SHOW | Disney+’s WandaVision

THE EPISODE | “The Series Finale” (March 5, 2021)

THE PERFORMANCE | Ever since Agnes knocked on Wanda’s door, houseplant in hand, during WandaVision‘s first episode, Hahn has rightfully garnered praise for her versatile, scene-stealing work as the titular couple’s nosy neighbor. And it’s no surprise, really: Hahn has been the secret weapon of countless comedy episodes during her career, and the kind of acclaim she’s gotten for WandaVision is well overdue.

But after weeks of nailing the sitcom neighbor role in each new decade, Hahn got to go full villain in Friday’s finale, and she clearly relished every moment of it. We can’t remember the last time we had so much fun watching a baddie wreak havoc, but Hahn had us hooked as her line readings — “Ooh, this is awkward: Your ex and your boyfriend together at the same party!” — oozed with wicked delight.

And though Agatha hurled plenty of purple-tinted magic at Wanda during their climactic fight, Hahn’s performance was just as effective without all those fireworks. Agatha’s cruel power was made clear through Hahn’s acting choices, like the way her eyes lit up just before her old coven turned on Wanda, or the pleasure she took in revealing that the Hex couldn’t actually be fixed with a new spell. Plus, that witchy cackle of hers? Top-notch.

It was in her final scene that Hahn did perhaps her best work of the show. Wholly defeated by Wanda (now the Scarlet Witch) and drained of her own magic, Agatha was permanently transformed back into busybody Agnes — but the words she spoke didn’t have Agnes’ previous cheerfulness, nor did they carry the gravitas of Agatha at the height of her powers. This was a new Agnes trapped somewhere in between: seemingly aware of her bleak new existence, but powerless to escape it. And with every sitcom-cheesy line she delivered, Hahn mastered the delicate balance of cheer and pain in Agnes’ voice; the words, “Okey-dokey, artichokey” have never sounded so tortured, proving once more that Hahn is magical in her own right.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

This is an interesting discussion by a panel of experts (mostly doctors, therapists and psychologists) - one panelist said that Elizabeth Olsen deserves an Emmy for her performance in WandaVision (I agree)...

WandaVision Breakdown: The Scarlet Witch and Vision Disassembled! | SAT, MARCH 6TH | 1PM PT/ 4PM ET
Wizard World   Streamed live on Mar 6, 2021

Join us tomorrow (March 6) for WandaVision Breakdown: The Scarlet Witch and Vision Disassembled! with @drtravislangley and his super team of experts for a fun, fascinating, and maybe even frightening look at WandaVision's Wanda Maximoff and the android she loves...

By the way, I've seen a lot of critics' praise for Elizabeth Olsen's acting performance in WandaVision.  FYI, prior to her involvement in the MCU, she won or was nominated for multiple acting awards for her performance in the 2011 film Martha Marcy May Marlene...
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0647634/awards

WandaVision made me fall in love with television again — and proves binge-watching must die
By Rory Mellon     March 7, 2021
https://www.tomsguide.com/features/wandavision-made-me-fall-in-love-with-television-again-and-proves-binge-watching-must-die

While this release strategy certainly worked well for The Mandalorian, it has completely transformed my viewing experience of WandaVision. It elevated what is a good show in its own right, to one of the best viewing experiences I’ve ever had. 

I’ve had more conversations about individual episodes of WandaVision over the last few weeks than I’ve had about basically every single television series I’ve watched in the last five years combined. 

I’ve crawled through internet forums, reading fan theories that have ranged from the plausible to the downright idiotic. Zoom calls with friends have become heated contests of theories and themes, dissecting what big twists could mean for the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). My life has literally reoriented around WandaVision’s Friday episode drops. 

In short, watching WandaVision each week has been the experience that television is supposed to be. Instead of burning through the nine episodes in a weekend, I’ve had time to dissect and ponder how each revelation will ripple through the episodes to come.
It helps that WandaVision was clearly written with the intention of a weekly release schedule, as almost every single episode has ended with a dramatic cliff-hanger. One ending was so impactful that I physically sat up and exclaimed with frustration when the credits rolled such was my desperation to see what happened next — it’s exactly the response that a television show should illicit!

I can genuinely say that my experience watching WandaVision would not have been half as enjoyable had the whole season been dropped at once. I would have binged all episodes over the release weekend, looked up a few fan theories on Sunday night and by Monday morning the show would be far from my mind.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

A “WandaVision” x ULTA Beauty Makeup Collection Is Coming

As noted by Popsugar, Ulta Beauty just announced its exclusive WandaVision makeup collection will be available in stores and online starting March 14, and we are already eyeing more than one product. As seen on the teaser images, the collection features products for eyes, lips, and cheeks. The collection features prices ranging from $10 to $28.

• Love 2
(edited)

Kathryn Hahn Talks About Her Insidious, Perfidious Role on ‘WandaVision’
By Dave Itzkoff    March 7, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/arts/television/kathryn-hahn-wandavision.html

What specifically appealed to you about “WandaVision”?
I was so turned on by the ambition and had mad respect for the fact that it is a superhero story that is ultimately about grief. And that there are so many women involved. And I love a witch, I really do.
How much of the Agnes — or should I say, Agatha — character had already been figured out when you were approached to play her?
They pitched it all to me. I had dipped my toe in it, with “Spider-Verse” [the animated feature “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” in which she played Dr. Olivia Octavius], which was so fun. Then I met with Marvel in a general meeting and it was just a couple days later that they called me back to meet with Matt Shakman [the “WandaVision” director] and Jac Schaeffer [the creator and showrunner], and they had it all laid out. I had never heard of Agatha Harkness in the comic books, but they gave me a bible on her and I went down a deep dive. And I was titillated by the ambition of it. I didn’t understand it. I couldn’t quite see it. But I thought that if we could pull it off, it would just be so thrilling.

In the comics, Agatha Harkness is often depicted as a classic old crone type of witch. Did you think this is how you’d be presented in the series?
No, it made me laugh. I loved that Agatha was like, I’m going land in this world and I’m going to be the age of 47. I imagined that she really enjoyed sticking around and being in these sitcoms. She’s been flying around for a couple of centuries without a coven before she revealed herself, and she’d love to have a friend for a second.

There’s a kind of acting that you’re doing in the sitcom segments of “WandaVision” that’s very heightened and over the top. Where did that come from?
My husband put it perfectly. He was like, seeing you in the sitcom portion of the show, I saw the you that I saw in college. I haven’t seen that part of you in so long — just you, hamboning it. It was so fun to be able to let go in those ways. At the end of every episode, we would try to shoot a little extra portion of it for the theme song [the “Agatha All Along” sequence]. So I could play directly to the camera and that would always make us laugh so hard.

It was also very interesting because [in the sitcom homages] we were all putting these roles on, on top of who we really were. It was so interesting to get to the last couple of episodes, where you see our true selves, who were actually very done-up and very big. And it felt very vulnerable to be at that scale. Those scenes between Lizzie and I, before Wanda embraced herself as the Scarlet Witch and she was still in her sweatpants, I think Agatha and Kathryn were very jealous.
When did you learn that Agatha would have her own theme song?
Oh, I knew about it from the beginning. At my first meeting, they were like, You’re going to get a theme song. And I was like, I’m in. And then they were like, Are you down with singing it? It was like, Yes. I had no hesitation, I was so excited. I was a child who grew up with “The Munsters” and “The Addams Family.” And it took half an hour — that’s what’s so crazy about it.

Does the fate that Agatha meets at the end of “WandaVision” — to have to return to being Agnes for some unspecified period of time — really seem like a punishment?
I actually don’t think, ultimately, that she minds it. She needed to rest for a hot second. She’s been very restless. I think she was very lonely, for a very, very long time. She loves having the companionship — loves the mailman, loves Ralph, loves Dottie. For the moment, I think she’s actually OK to just loosen the corset and sit and have a muffin and a latte.

Was it meaningful for you that “WandaVision” told the story of several women, including Agatha, Wanda and Monica Rambeau, which is not common in comic-book adaptations?
That’s also one of the things that was a big turn-on for me, how many women were involved in it, and it wasn’t shying away from feelings. It wasn’t just action, right off the bat. Wanda’s superpowers are coming from her feelings. There’s something I loved between the relationship of Agatha and Wanda. We talked a lot about Amadeus and Salieri, in terms of their relationship — Agatha wishes that she could make the kind of music that the Scarlet Witch just had naturally. For someone that has spent centuries studying this, to meet a young person to whom it comes completely naturally, it’s maddening and you want to know why.
Despite her ulterior motives, Agatha could be a helpful therapist to Wanda at times.
I think there was that sense. I felt that very strongly too, at the end of that, there was a possibility that we’d join up — that she’d collapse into my arms and we’d fly off together, which I kind of wish would have happened — or she would just hand it off to me.
Will we see more of Agatha Harkness in the Marvel universe?
I have no idea. They keep it really tight.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

The “aerospace engineer” was going to be a bigger reveal but was edited late after fans speculated it was Reed Richards: https://heroichollywood.com/matt-shakman-wandavision-director-finale-changes/ (was this a joke? Did they film alt versions or just cut around the engineer?)

also, the finale had more for Monica and the kids (and Ralph!) to do but apparently CGI couldn’t be completed in time. The base footage was all shot though.

this is all from a summary of a two hour podcast with Matt Shakman and Kevin Smith but I don’t have the mindset to listen to super long podcasts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Great interview with creator Jac Schaeffer in the NYT.

This was my favorite part, to give credit where it's due to a line that clearly resonated with a lot of people.

A speech from Vision in Episode 8 — and particularly his quote, “What is grief, if not love persevering?” — really caught on with viewers. Did it land as powerfully for you when that episode was being written?

In the writers’ room, we had intense conversations about grief and loss. We had a grief counselor come and speak to us. My initial pitch, the structure of the show was mapped to the stages of grief. I did not know that that line would be a sensation, but it did feel at the time that it was the perfect distillation of the show. Laura Donney wrote an extraordinary episode, and as we were moving toward production on the scene, Paul was really hungering for, what’s the thing that Vision can say that will bring her comfort? He wanted a line that, in a very Vision way, would perfectly encapsulate a definition of grief, like in “Age of Ultron,” how he says, “A thing isn’t beautiful because it lasts.”

So I came up with a line that was something along the lines of, “What is grief but love surviving?” We agreed that wasn’t quite it and we were turning it over and trying to figure it out. My incredibly talented assistant, Laura Monti, came up with the word “persevering.” We all believe that the line was born of the enormous amount of collaboration and unity on the show. So many talented women, specifically, came up with it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, arc said:

The “aerospace engineer” was going to be a bigger reveal but was edited late after fans speculated it was Reed Richards: https://heroichollywood.com/matt-shakman-wandavision-director-finale-changes/ (was this a joke? Did they film alt versions or just cut around the engineer?)

Ugh, now I'm cranky again that it didn't pan out. I kept getting irritated that they seemed to be dragging the reveal out on the show, and then cried so much at the finale I was too worn out to care it was never really resolved. It would be nice if it got picked up in whatever future projects Teyonah is in.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Ohhhhhhhh. That’s why no Roseanne: not overtly cheerful/bright/aspirational enough for Wanda’s wish fulfilment world.

In my pitch, the “rewind” episode was a “C.S.I.” episode. I thought, how interesting to do sitcom, sitcom, sitcom, and then shatter that and be in a different genre. But once we got in the writers’ room, we stayed with family sitcoms and sitcoms that were on the brighter, optimistic side of the spectrum because it is a fantasy. That meant things like “All in the Family” and “Roseanne” got shunted to the side. I had an episode that was “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” and it was about Wanda’s work-life balance. Those are spectacular shows and say so much about our culture and ourselves. But we stayed in the zone of aspirational family sitcoms and that helped us find the focus of the show.

This part is intriguing:

Are there plans for a second season of “WandaVision”?

That is one of the things that I super can’t talk about. 

I would have imagined titling ep 9 “The Series Finale” should have answered that, but considering the incredible fan response to the show, and the creative achievement, I guess the main issue is what happens to all the moving pieces over the rest of the MCU’s phase 4. Also, however much the audience might forgive Wanda for taking over Westview once, mostly by accident, the writers probably can’t run it all back again so easily.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, arc said:

Ohhhhhhhh. That’s why no Roseanne: not overtly cheerful/bright/aspirational enough for Wanda’s wish fulfilment world.

This part is intriguing:

I would have imagined titling ep 9 “The Series Finale” should have answered that, but considering the incredible fan response to the show, and the creative achievement, I guess the main issue is what happens to all the moving pieces over the rest of the MCU’s phase 4. Also, however much the audience might forgive Wanda for taking over Westview once, mostly by accident, the writers probably can’t run it all back again so easily.

Maybe they'll do a movie focused on Photon and/or the Scarlet Witch.