Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Last night was apparently an hour long preview of the new season, then the first episode.  I saw the preview but the new episode started too late, so I recorded it.  Things are looking even more bleak than ever with the conditions.  I really don't think it's necessary to make things any more difficult - let's give the survivors a chance!  One guy gets stung in his "junk", another eats something and seems to get pretty drunk/high/hallucinating.  Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I'm pretty bummed to come here to no comments!  Is anyone still watching ? ? ?

• Love 2

I watched! Skipped most of the preview show but saw the actual first episode.  Productive and drama free pair of people.  That sting had to hurt! Why wait until day 19 to set snares? How was their firewood dry after a hurricane? Shame they didn't see the baby alligators earlier - nice meat there.

All very good points Kelda Feegle!  Also, why did the dude think it was a good idea to go out of their shelter at night with a bear nearby?!?  I think it was a N&A first to have them spend the night of the hurricane in a hotel room, even though they didn't get to sleep on a bed or eat anything.  They were a great couple with great attitudes and I would bet they will remain friends. 

More previews, it looks like a really horrific season.  I can't figure out why I watch, but I do!

The show bought back memories of Irma which was in September. I can’t imagine them being out in it. Crazy. We lost electric for 5 days. 

The preview show did make the world seem bleak with all the weather changes impacting our land.  I will continue watching this show. Much better than Survivor

• Love 1

I'm watching!  Just haven't had a chance to comment.

I watched an episode last night (don't remember their names) where both participants tapped out on Day 19.  They had 2 days left and they both bailed.  The guy said he just didn't believe he could make the 4-5 mile hike to the extraction point and was so unsure on his feet now that he didn't want to risk falling.  I think the woman lost 30 pounds.  It's a rough diet and you know they gain it all back as soon as they get home and start eating again.

I like the couple (not a couple-couple) where the guy got stung on his weenie.  They both had a good sense of humor.  I missed the reason why the woman and her family lived in the desert for 2 years in Iran (Iraq?).  Could somebody fill me in.  I thought she was so pretty.

The poster above said it's much better than "Survivor".  It's definitely more honest and realistic than "Survivor".

• Love 2

So I was watching the Croatia episode (right after the new one ) and on the first episode they said that the temperature was 108 Fahrenheit; was this a record high?  Because the weather over there is supposed to be 82 at the height of summer  (I checked)

As for the new episode 

Spoiler

It sucks that she got injured on the exact spot where she just had surgery.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2018 at 1:56 PM, slasherboy said:

I missed the reason why the woman and her family lived in the desert for 2 years in Iran (Iraq?).  Could somebody fill me in.  I thought she was so pretty.

When she was around 8-years old she and her family were refugees and lived in the desert until they they were sponsored and were able to come to the U.S. I also thought she was very pretty. I liked them both!

• Love 2

Epi 1: Worried guy was going to be a jackass from the intro video, but ended up thinking they might make a nice couple. 

Epi 2: No way in fuck would I stick it out with that kind of bug action, that is just torture. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, niklj said:

Duke reminded me of Ralph Macchio. They were a good team although I wonder how much notice the producers had that there would be a hurricane in that area...

I liked Duke and Amal too.  It looked like the producers knew there would be a storm, but weren't sure where it would go.  I liked how both of them were gung-ho to get back out there.  

Watched several episodes of a marathon today (still on) and I'm wondering just how realistic this show is.  I mean, I realize they get terribly bug-bitten and lose a ton of weight and have some injuries, but do they really not get a sip of clean water now and then from the producers and camera crew?  Not a bite to eat?  Help with anything?  Do they sit around and talk with the crew at night, just to shoot the shit?  Since everything they do is being filmed, the camera crew obviously has to do the same things they're doing, and yes, I know the crew has food and water and clothes, but still, today they were in a Mayan cave and things couldn't have been that horrendous if the crew was ahead of them to film them walking through.  And filming them tromping through water, the crew is already there.  Also, does the crew have a rifle in case some of the predators actually attack?  I know some of them get close to their camp.

Can somebody clear this up for me?  

Thanks!

• Love 1
On March 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM, slasherboy said:

Watched several episodes of a marathon today (still on) and I'm wondering just how realistic this show is.  I mean, I realize they get terribly bug-bitten and lose a ton of weight and have some injuries, but do they really not get a sip of clean water now and then from the producers and camera crew?  Not a bite to eat?  Help with anything?  Do they sit around and talk with the crew at night, just to shoot the shit?  Since everything they do is being filmed, the camera crew obviously has to do the same things they're doing, and yes, I know the crew has food and water and clothes, but still, today they were in a Mayan cave and things couldn't have been that horrendous if the crew was ahead of them to film them walking through.  And filming them tromping through water, the crew is already there.  Also, does the crew have a rifle in case some of the predators actually attack?  I know some of them get close to their camp.

Can somebody clear this up for me?  

Thanks!

I think the show is as real as it legally can be.  The bug bites are real, the weather is real, they really do lose weight.  This show can't be 100% real; producers aren't going to leave them 100% on their own; if that were to happen, there would be serious injuries and even deaths.  

What I've seen on the show:  A woman was injured when a log fell on her already injured shoulder and a medic came running, so there is medical staff onsite.  A pair was in Florida and a hurricane was coming, so they got them out and put them up in a hotel room until it had passed.  Another time the producers had to pull a pair out because of a rainstorm that was coming.  So I think there are people monitoring the weather, watching for floods, etc.  I'm also sure that someone in the crew probably has a rifle or something in case predators get too close.  I think the producers probably make sure they don't get lost when they're going to extraction.

What I wonder about is, if there is some sort of statue of limitations with the show.  There was a woman who came down with dengue fever after coming back from the jungle.  They showed her and how she was suffering (She appeared on a NatGeo show, called The Walk, I think, years later).  I wondered if the show paid for her medical care.  Then I wondered how long would the show be responsible for someone's medical care.  I'm thinking about those bug bites, could someone develop an autoimmune disease from those bites, years later?  What happens then?  Most of the participants are in their thirties; what would happen if twenty years later, someone develops a medical condition either from the bug bites or exposure?  By that time, the show won't even exist, so what would happen, could they sue Discovery?  That's why I wonder about a statue of limitations.

• Love 5

Neurochick, thanks for your response.  You brought up some really good questions, too, about what may happen down the road.  I would think Discovery would pay for their immediate medical care, but I feel certain there's a statute of limitations on the future.  That's probably one of the things written in small print that people kind of skip over.

I thought of some more things that make me wonder.  Does the production crew set up some fancy schmancy tent to live in for those 21 days, or do they have a more permanent structure to live in?  I can't imagine they would live in some makeshift something or the other, plus they have to protect their equipment.  Also, do they eat right in front of the participants.  How strange, to be snarfing down a hoagie while some woman is literally keeling over from hunger right in front of you.  Or a man keeling over, for that matter.  And the crew is knocking back a beer or two while the participants are licking rocks and leaves, hoping for rain water.

I wish a participant or two would get online here and answer these questions.

I know I sound obsessed, but I'm not ..... really, I'm not.  It's just that sometimes I'll get into a show, watch the hell out of it for a couple of months, then let it go for a year.  I did that with "Say Yes To The Dress" one time and freaked my sister out because I'm the type who would get married barefooted in jeans.

Last night I watched the two fans of the show ... one was a YouTube personality and the woman was a surfer ... who went in for a 14-day stay.  It was on late and I kept falling asleep, but the girl was out in something like 4 days (I'm surprised she lasted that long) and the guy bailed on something like day 11.  I liked him a lot (can't remember their names) and thought he did great for that long.  She didn't lift a finger the entire time.  The bugs got to her.

Would love to see more discussion on her, if anybody's of a mind to do that.  Happy Easter or Passover or whatever, if you acknowledge at all.

• Love 2

See, I wonder about that too, Kelda Feegle.  I have so many questions!

Here's something else I've been obsessing wondering about.  How could the producers seriously allow these naked people to go traipsing through unknown waters that is home to caimans, deadly snakes, and other such creatures.  The humans don't know where these critters are lurking, do they?  And the cameraperson is obviously ahead of them in the water to film them walking through, and some are even under water.  How can they take such a risk?

I've noticed they're now providing an item to the participants along with their personal choices for an item, usually a fire starter or machete.  Also, if someone taps out early, they give them their clothes to wear out of the campsite.

I would love to run around naked outside for a few days, but I'm thinking more of a private beach with white sand, clear blue water, and a swim-up bar.  The only caiman would be a blow-up swan to float around in.  But I digress.

• Love 4

Did anybody watch last night?  It was a first for the show.  The man came across the medic tent and went back with the woman and stole food.  Well, they obviously got caught and were immediately kicked off the show to great humiliation and embarrassment.  It was epic!

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Did anybody watch last night?  It was a first for the show.  The man came across the medic tent and went back with the woman and stole food.  Well, they obviously got caught and were immediately kicked off the show to great humiliation and embarrassment.  It was epic!

I DVR'd it and we watched it this morning.  Sorry, sir . . . you were there for LESS time than most participants.  The object of the game is to survive when given nothing.  Encouraging your ill partner to tap out - and then going with her in a show of solidarity - would have been more honorable.  

• Love 1

Literally, the moment I saw her first partner, I knew he wouldn't make it very long.  He was too big to go any significant amount of time without nourishment.  Also, he could barely walk on the rocks and she was, again, literally, skipping across them.  I don't use the word literally without knowing, literally, what it means.  

Their campsite was horrific.  It was the mouth of a cave, dark and dank and I didn't see any sunshine the entire time.  There were bats.  

Did anybody else notice how intimately he touched her?  Creepy.  She seemed oblivious to everything and I'd bet money that he touched her in a sexual way when the cameras weren't on.  Strictly my opinion, but I got that distinct vibe.  

How could he think they wouldn't get caught stealing the food?  Idiot.

But I loved it!

• Love 3

We sat and laughed about the attempt to steal food. I totally would have tried it too! We also noted how handsy he was with her... then when he said he would do just about anything to get her protein...I blurted out ‘on your knees..it’s for your own good!’ 

• Love 1

Finally, an episode that is totally different.  A couple are in Canada and I'm really enjoying it.  At the beginning the man, Greg, said he hoped his partner wasn't a blonde because he hadn't met a blonde woman yet who could put a sentence together.  He said all blonde women are morons.  Thankfully, his blonde partner, Cassie, is proving him wrong big time and he admitted it.  I'm glad I'm getting to see some that I hadn't previously seen.

Before that was a couple in the path of a volcano.  He fell and hurt his shoulder and left on day 5 and she couldn't stand the solitude and left on day 9.

Oh, and the couple where the woman, Laura, threatened to kill her Swedish partner, Nickolas (I don't blame her) and they evicted her.  He went on to make it the 21 days alone.  She was 47 and that's a lot older than the usual females on this show, isn't it?  She was rough looking.

Oh, oh, oh!!!  The vegetarian woman who finally caved and ate rat!  HAHAHAHAHA   I liked her partner a lot, Matt.  At the end they said he conquered Thailand, and he really did.  She was a mess.  I didn't like her at all.

6 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Question:  The necklaces they wear, are those microphones?

Yes.

The new show tonight was interesting.  The woman was strong and competent, even when her partner tapped out and she was alone for a few days.  But when a strong, competent partner showed up to join her she fell apart and became the weak one and gave up and tapped out.  The second guy was 50 years old and totally conquered Nicaragua.

• Love 4
On 4/16/2018 at 11:10 AM, slasherboy said:

What? That's totally legit! Bears do it! The Afraid-testants should be allowed to get away with it if the run away fast enough to avoid being tackled by the crew.

• Love 7
On 4/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, mla40 said:

We sat and laughed about the attempt to steal food. I totally would have tried it too! We also noted how handsy he was with her... then when he said he would do just about anything to get her protein...I blurted out ‘on your knees..it’s for your own good!’ 

This was an episode of Naked, Afraid and In Love!

• Love 2

The most recent episode screwed with us.  They kept promoting it as love at first sight and a romance and I was expecting some hot monkey love in the jungle.  Yes, they were initially attracted to each other but after a very short time, she was sick of his lazy ass and was so happy when he left.  I liked her.

And they had an episode where they put two couples out there at the same time, but 6 miles away from each other, with the intent of them meeting and either joining forces or staying as they were.  They joined forces.  Cassie was the star, in that she did absolutely nothing and was also lazy and in way over her head.  Well, the other 3 ganged up on her big time and I was really surprised at how they layed into her.  It was fun to watch though, and she deserved it.

Anybody else see these?

• Love 1
On 4/26/2018 at 8:34 PM, slasherboy said:

Are the women allowed to have tampons or sanitary pads, or do they have to fashion those from nature's bounty as well?  I can't imagine having to be out there while on my period.

I think they just have to bleed.  I remember one woman saying "my period started today" during her time in the challenge.

However, I've often wondered if the stress and lack of food might delay a period for most women.  

• Love 1

Well the episode last night was the most disturbing by far. They put this redheaded pale pale white woman who lives in Alaska on the equator. She burned to a crisp and got sun poisoning and she was in horrible pain from sunburn and then her body shut down. She was so tough, tougher than most but this was not fair.  She could not sleep her ass was burned so bad. She was just really really white. They said they were 60 miles from the equator in a forest that had burned down so there was no shade.

She had horrible sun blisters, plus the usual bug bits. her skin looked horrific. She was alone too, she was not going to quit but then she got so sick from her skin failing and she got hypothermia and would have died. She was alone because her partner had dengue fever. The 2 of them would probably have made it somewhere else.

• Love 3

I thought that was a really unfair episode as well.  That was a horrible place to send anybody, and the last person who should be there was the redheaded woman.  I was disgusted that they did that to her but I guess they thought her horrible burns would make great television.  Makes me re-think watching this show.

• Love 1

I felt really bad for the redheaded woman as well.  She had no fire and could barely move.  I'm thankful someone came to her camp to check her out then evacuate her.

Do the producers watch these people 24/7 somehow to make sure they're ok, or do they just wait for someone to should "Medic!"  I noticed the redheaded woman used a radio of some sort to call the medic for her partner, but they seemed to just come on their own to check on her.

I've never watched XL before but might give it a try this time around.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

I felt really bad for the redheaded woman as well.  She had no fire and could barely move.  I'm thankful someone came to her camp to check her out then evacuate her.

Do the producers watch these people 24/7 somehow to make sure they're ok, or do they just wait for someone to should "Medic!"  I noticed the redheaded woman used a radio of some sort to call the medic for her partner, but they seemed to just come on their own to check on her.

I've never watched XL before but might give it a try this time around.

The story goes that the camera crew is with them during the day, and at night they are left alone with a radio for emergency contact.

When they are in a really dangerous place like the new XL program in Africa, I have a hard time believing they leave these people alone at night without protection from the lions and hippos.

Thank you, riverblue22.  It seems like nighttime brings out the big animals, though (in lots of places) so it seems risky to leave them completely unprotected then.  I wish I could talk with someone who was actually on the show.  You'd think someone would have been chomped on by now.

• Love 1
(edited)

I did read how the crew is close by and about how much they are alone etc.  They cannot be that remote because they can always need to be somewhere that they can get a truck into the camp. They have to bring all the crew supplies, which is a tent, their food etc. You cannot carry all that stuff, food and water and clothing and camera and medical equipment miles thru the jungle.  The crew has a big advantage with insect repellent, sunscreen, food and water and clothing and shoes. But it still must be difficult no running water or toilet- camping for 3 weeks. But they have to carry all their bottled water and supplies, and camera equipment into the crew tent. Then they get a truck in if there is an emergency. Sometimes they are trekking across a water feature and climbing up these rocks, so how is the crew following them? How are they getting a truck and all their supplies into this area? Then on the way out they are also being followed and I read giving hints if they go off course.  The only thing is it looks much more remote than it actually is, they have to be near a service road. 

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 2

This season the locations are worse than ever due to storms and changes in weather. Makes the first two seasons look like a party

i think they are usually in a small area in a state or national park but it comes across as if they are in the middle of nowhere. Previous contestants have come across natives of the country, disco clubs and little huts. 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:10 AM, Lion18 said:

This season the locations are worse than ever due to storms and changes in weather. Makes the first two seasons look like a party

i think they are usually in a small area in a state or national park but it comes across as if they are in the middle of nowhere. Previous contestants have come across natives of the country, disco clubs and little huts. 

Lion18, I'm relatively new to the show.  Are you serious that participants have come across other people (not involved with the show), discos, and little huts?  That's crazy!  Yes, it does look like they're in the middle of nowhere.  What did they do when they encountered these things?  And they showed it in the episode?  How funny!  Here I thought it was wild when that one guy came across the medic's tent.

I'm starting with season 1 watching them all On Demand and can't wait to see these.

16 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I'm watching xl 4, some interesting returnees, don't leave me alone in that forum!

Note - only the sneak peek has been shown so far. 

Kelda Feegle, I've never watched a minute of XL but I plan on watching the upcoming one.  I've seen the sneak peek (twice).  Does the actual show start this Sunday?  I'll be watching and discussing with you in the forum, so worry not.  Maybe I'll even watch it naked.  You too?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

Kelda Feegle, I've never watched a minute of XL but I plan on watching the upcoming one.  I've seen the sneak peek (twice).  Does the actual show start this Sunday?  I'll be watching and discussing with you in the forum, so worry not.  Maybe I'll even watch it naked.  You too?

The last time XL was held in Africa it was a truly astonishing show.  I think that was Season 2.  I recommend watching it.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2018 at 5:02 PM, riverblue22 said:

The last time XL was held in Africa it was a truly astonishing show.  I think that was Season 2.  I recommend watching it.

Thanks for the heads-up, RiverBlue22.  I'll absolutely check it out.  As I said before, I've never watched an XL so this will be a fun new experience for me.

(edited)

Watching Gabrielle kill that snake in the Mississippi swamp was darned impressive! She had it down ... everything from hunting to execution. She looked as calm as a cucumber while doing it, too!

On 5/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, Lion18 said:

LOL! Imagine the bewilderment of the locals when two naked and rugged Americans cross paths with a discotheque! Too bad they don't show that. 

I'd ask for a sandwich, but then I'm not exactly survivalist material.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
On 4/30/2018 at 8:11 PM, riverblue22 said:

I thought that was a really unfair episode as well.  That was a horrible place to send anybody, and the last person who should be there was the redheaded woman.  I was disgusted that they did that to her but I guess they thought her horrible burns would make great television.  Makes me re-think watching this show.

I just saw that episode on this tough mother marathon that I'm watching with my husband. She was tough, and it was a cruel situation for her.

If she would consider going back, they should definitely give her another chance!

I wouldn't want to go back, but then I wouldn't want to go out there in the first place. I know the people on the show find more of an intrinsic reward from it that I don't fully grasp.

On 4/30/2018 at 12:13 AM, 88Keys said:

I think they just have to bleed.  I remember one woman saying "my period started today" during her time in the challenge.

However, I've often wondered if the stress and lack of food might delay a period for most women.  

I wonder what the censorship rules are for showing that sort of thing. Would they have to pixellate any visible signs of it?

• Love 1
On 4/30/2018 at 12:13 AM, 88Keys said:

They are supplied tampons. There are quite a few articled out there about this very topic. If they take meds on a regular basis then the medic doles them out, along with a sip of water to take them with.

A good friend of mine appeared on both a regular show and an all-star version.

• Love 2

Wow- that woman OWNED that challenge tonight in Brazil!  

Not only did she eat well, and appear to enjoy her time in nature, she also looked so chic on the trek out: hand-woven wide-brimmed hat, mosquito netting wrap dress, corded sandals...she was rocking that look!  

What a beautiful place.

I was sorry to see the man go - I think that the two of them would have figured out how to be effective survival partners had he stayed.

• Love 7