Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I remember Jeremy from his last try & liked the way he worked with his partner & the way they tapped out together. So far his attitude is impressing me again. As for the sex with the demon, growling face voodoo scare. I dunno. I tend to think producer shenanigans could be at work. 

• Love 2

Not sure why they don't cake themselves in mud to help keep the bugs off. I had a mosquito net break on me many years ago when I was canoeing in northern Manitoba. The mosquitoes there were just as bad as they're showing in the show. I can speak from experience, the swarming and biting will drive you insane even if it is just for one night. 

If they're worried about animals at night, why not build a bush fence around their campsite with trees and brush? You'd think a guy from Louisiana would know what large animals were in the swamps.

• Love 4

I second the idea of covering yourself with mud to help with the mosquitoes. Also, is there some rule that they can't make clothing from the plants? I'd slather mud all over myself then stick leaves to it. At least that would leave less bare skin exposed to the bugs at night.  I really hope Jeremy makes it. He seems like such a stand-up guy. 

• Love 4
On 4/24/2017 at 11:14 PM, seasick said:

My question is always 'Why don't they warm rocks by the fire( then wrap them) and lay them on their sleeping platform for warmth?"

This is a great point. Warming rocks never would've occurred to me, but I am no survivalist. Are there brains so fuzzy that they don't think of these things? I've always wondered why they don't at least cover up with a bunch of palms. That seems obvious. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, diana said:
On 4/24/2017 at 10:14 PM, seasick said:

My question is always 'Why don't they warm rocks by the fire( then wrap them) and lay them on their sleeping platform for warmth?"

This is a great point. Warming rocks never would've occurred to me, but I am no survivalist. Are there brains so fuzzy that they don't think of these things? I've always wondered why they don't at least cover up with a bunch of palms. That seems obvious. 

I slept in a lot of tents in Africa with hot rocks to keep warm, but I never tried it naked. I wonder if prolonged exposure would cause burns?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

slept in a lot of tents in Africa with hot rocks to keep warm, but I never tried it naked. I wonder if prolonged exposure would cause burns?

I don't know--but I bet one could fairly easily think of a way to prevent that--no?  People lay hot rocks into their sleeping bags--maybe not burning hot-- just to pre-warm the bag.  I"m sure there is a way to use them to get some warmth benefit on N & A.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, seasick said:

I don't know--but I bet one could fairly easily think of a way to prevent that--no?  People lay hot rocks into their sleeping bags--maybe not burning hot-- just to pre-warm the bag.  I"m sure there is a way to use them to get some warmth benefit on N & A.  

Maybe wrapping them in leaves, so they don't touch your skin. All I know is when we pulled rocks off the fire, they were scalding, and we wrapped them in fleece so we didn't burn. We also had a tool to handle them, so we were not roughing it at all.

1 hour ago, niklj said:

That huge deer they caught before they left was once again suspect hmmm...

Just another day 20 food miracle.

Too bad they did not check out that 'white face' the next day when the sun was out and they were safe.

• Love 7
(edited)

Am I the only one who thinks that Melanie was RAPED and she now thinks it was "sex with a demon?" That story WAS scary, but not for any supernatural reason. I don't believe in ghosts, demons, or any of that shit, but I do believe that she was sexually assaulted and now remembers it as a "demon" probably to protect herself.

Sorry, this whole episode when they were freaking out about the scary things happening and the "white face" they saw, I just rolled my eyes. People. Come on. You are grown adults. 

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Liberty said:

Just another day 20 food miracle.

Too bad they did not check out that 'white face' the next day when the sun was out and they were safe.

Yes, I was telling them through my tv not to worry!  Food will arrive day 19 or 20 and lo and behold it did.   Why didn't they just leave a bucket a chicken and a bag of  doritos and claim the swamp bogey-man left it.  Every night was another demon sighting or scare that they never resolved.  A little deer caught in that flimsy snare?  Highly doubt it.  Plus they never spotted any deer at all--then production gave us one shot of a buck IIRC to justify the 'kill'. 

I admit I predicted they would tap out so they proved me wrong there.  

I cannot explain Melanie's account of the demon rape but I do know there have been accounts of people who take certain sleep meds having hallucinations, sleep paralysis, and suspected of it being the culprit  in murders during sleep-walking episodes.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, seasick said:

I cannot explain Melanie's account of the demon rape but I do know there have been accounts of people who take certain sleep meds having hallucinations, sleep paralysis, and suspected of it being the culprit  in murders during sleep-walking episodes.

Yeah, I really really hope it was just a nightmare or something like a hallucination, IMO worst case scenario is she was raped by a *human* (not a damn demon FFS).

I'm glad they made it but as others have said the late challenge food miracles continue. 

It felt like this episode dragged on a bit. Almost like they should have not made it a two episode challenge. I would not be surprised if we saw him someday in a XL season. 

• Love 2

I'm bet Melanie was lucid dreaming. Lucid dreams can seem incredibly "real" and you can believe you are awake during them. I have them and until you get "control" of them you can often have freak out experiences of someone grabbing you, pulling you by the feet, assaulting you, etc. Why your mind wants to scare the shit out of you like that I don't know. Maybe it just natural subconscious fears bubbling about.

OMG, with the little deer. Funny how the cameras caught the c**** by the snare but not any deer. Before that, it seemed like they were eating virtually nothing at all. I mean, put the people where they have a fighting chance at some food for fucks sake! I don't enjoy watching 2 people suffer and starve for 20 days, then be thrown some carcass.  I also think production enhanced the "demon" sights and sounds, and probably told them to talk about the creepy "history" of the area. ...yawn... 

• Love 3

Was vaguely creeped out by this last episode. I understand wanting to cuddle for survival but the way he was going about it was a little off. I dunno. Glad it turned out okay.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, niklj said:

Was vaguely creeped out by this last episode. I understand wanting to cuddle for survival but the way he was going about it was a little off. I dunno. Glad it turned out okay.

Agree.  It was more than survival--he was creepily coming on to her and manipulating. Hopes of getting laid was so obviously on his mind even if his lofty spiritual ideals wanted to deny it.

I think film production went on vacation with this episode.  Most useless and boring episode ever showing extremely little of their time there.  One snake and about a week of cuddle arguments.    

• Love 6

Holy shit, this guy is the whiniest, most petulant child about her not wanting to cuddle. It's amazing to me that there are men who are so willfully ignorant about how women need to think about our safety. The fact is, a man walks down the street and sees a strange woman coming towards him, and thinks maybe "ooh, nice tits." Women see strange men coming towards us and we have to wonder if this fucker is gonna grab our tits. It doesn't matter how nice a guy seems, we HAVE to be careful around them, because we are generally at a huge physical disadvantage against them if they turn aggressive. "Nice guys" like this zen fella take it personally and lash out when they *should* be seeking to make women feel more comfortable around them. When he was saying "we need to cuddle for body heat," she was probably hearing "I will have my boner digging into your back for hours." 

• Love 9

Wow! I was having high school flashbacks and I don't mean it in a good way. First of all, how many times does she have to tell you "NO" before you stop badgering her to cuddle? I bet this guy is a real asshole in social situations. She was trying to be nice about it ("It's not you, it's me") and he wouldn't let up. What a jerk! Then he tries to bully her into sleeping next to him? Really? It reminded me of being at a party and a guy coming onto you, wanting to make out but you rebuff him, and then he starts yelling at you because you won't make out with him, and that's supposed to make you WANT to make out with him? Other than that, this was a boring episode, showed next to no survival techniques other than the fire building which we pretty much see every episode since contestants finally realized it is something you need to know when you sign on and maybe it would have been nice to see how they managed to find food. Just saying.

• Love 8

Yea, I agree with you all. This guy rubbed me the WRONG way. He did not respect her boundaries at all. She should have only had to tell him once that she was not into cuddling. Then she tries sleeping under the shelter, trying something different to see if that helps with the cold, and he acts like she's ruining his entire night. Not only did she not tell you that YOU couldn't try sleeping under the shelter too, she was simply trying to keep herself warm! Ugh. 

• Love 7

Given all the drama about the cuddling, his comment about this turning into an Adam and Eve situation where they may have to repopopulate the world seems to put his motivation into context. 

I thought the episode overall was pretty dull. And, agree with others he was creepy. 

• Love 7

I'm starting to wonder if this season is mostly a mish mash of duds from previuos season that they didn't air originally because they weren't any good. There are so many tap outs, multiple tap outs and boring ass episodes. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

... anybody watching Naked and Afraid XL?  I don't see any new posts in that forum?

There's a season 3 thread in this forum, close to the top. Apparently the XL forum was closed and nobody bothered to open it back up.

• Love 1

Last night there were two episodes on.  I don't know if they were new (my guide said they were), but I thought both of the women were great.  Alana, a pale redhead, and Danielle, a California hippie.  Both very positive, determined, and resourceful.  I would love to see them both on XL next season.

(edited)

They were both on season 1 of  XL.  They both had challenging partners in their regular season episodes.

Dani Julien is one of my all-time fav's.  (Chick with a stick)

It seems like the focus until the new season starts is to feature episodes with people who participated in XL.  Saw Lacey's (from most recent XL) original episode along with that poop Russell's original episode.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1

I have lots of questions about this show. With the fact that the majority of Americans are on at least one prescription medication, does N&A only accept participants that are on zero prescriptions? Or do they give them their meds behind the scenes? Which if they do allow people to be on meds, they would also have to give them food and water to go with those meds. My other question comes from the gutter, but have there been any known instances of participants having sex and/or continuing a relationship after the show ended?

On 7/12/2017 at 3:19 PM, Tammee said:

I've been noticing that they've been  re gifting classic eps, labeled as new, so my dvr picks it up.  Then I get bummed when I already know the ep.

Is the one I just watched called Lost at Sea a repeat? It was new to me. Sarah was incredible.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Is the one I just watched called Lost at Sea a repeat? It was new to me. Sarah was incredible.

That was the first one of the new season.  There is another new one on Wednesday night.

Saw S 8 ep 2 last night.  Really pleasant couple, in Texas.  S 8 ep 1 still had not made it to OnDemand yesterday after I read the previous post.

The Texas episode was interesting, plenty of water and wildlife, but they were not successful in obtaining protein other than a frog.  Not successful until she found a turtle on day 20,  hmmmm.

They were both disappointed in their own skills in obtaining food, but they had good skill otherwise.  The male was one tough fellow yet had a wonderful attitude of cooperation and cordiality.  They worked well together looking for ways to support their partner.

• Love 3
On July 17, 2017 at 4:17 PM, GuyFromMetropolis said:

I have lots of questions about this show. With the fact that the majority of Americans are on at least one prescription medication, does N&A only accept participants that are on zero prescriptions? Or do they give them their meds behind the scenes? Which if they do allow people to be on meds, they would also have to give them food and water to go with those meds. My other question comes from the gutter, but have there been any known instances of participants having sex and/or continuing a relationship after the show ended?

Is that true about the majority of Americans?  For myself, I never took a prescription medication until I was 45 years old and most people I know never took medication (usually for high blood pressure) until they were in their forties.

As for them being naked, I don't get that either, especially since in the US, all of their "bits" are blurred out.  I guess "Underwear and Afraid" doesn't sound too exciting.

Edited by Neurochick

Just watched S8/Ep03 with Sarah and Duck.

Another wonderful couple in the jungle of Belize.  Sarah was pretty clear in her talking heads to the camera crew that she did not think Duck had much to offer as far as knowing how to survive in Belize, but thoughtfully we never saw her discuss her opinion with Duck himself.

I sure appreciated Duck's attitude, but think it would wear me down about the 2nd day together.

Really enjoying Season 8 so far with partners who get along pretty well. 

Sure wish Disco and Comcast would get their crap together for OnDemand. 

Edited by Liberty

Just watched the latest episode with poor man's David Tennant and his partner, Sam. Her desperation over having an alpha man around was annoying. Probably will be the last time the producers screw around with that kind of cold, wet  and raw environment. Hypothermia gets real very quickly.

• Love 5

I felt terrible for how things turned out, but Sam was so annoying. Seriously, why go on a show like this if you are counting on having an alpha male? Don't purposely not do things you are perfectly capable of doing yourself then pout about it. 

• Love 2

At least it was a nice change from that period around season 3 or 4 when every week seemed to be "He's an alpha-male sexist. She's a feminist. We stranded them in the middle of nowhere together."

• Love 2

Just watched Season 8 Episode 5, Stone Cold, with Adam and Samantha.

Since they pulled Adam it is likely we see him again.  He was a pretty nice fellow, and Sam proved to be very effective after she decided to take some initiative.  

It looked like there were two Space Blankets provided for the pair.  Not suggesting it wasn't necessary, but just something we saw in this episode that violates to imaginary "one item and a burlap bag" guidelines.  They were on about day 18 when the end came.  Glad to see them so cordial after their hospital stay before they left Croatia.  She seemed to accept him even though he did not fit her idea of an Alpha.

• Love 1
On August 21, 2017 at 0:40 PM, Liberty said:

Just watched Season 8 Episode 5, Stone Cold, with Adam and Samantha.

Since they pulled Adam it is likely we see him again.  He was a pretty nice fellow, and Sam proved to be very effective after she decided to take some initiative.  

It looked like there were two Space Blankets provided for the pair.  Not suggesting it wasn't necessary, but just something we saw in this episode that violates to imaginary "one item and a burlap bag" guidelines.  They were on about day 18 when the end came.  Glad to see them so cordial after their hospital stay before they left Croatia.  She seemed to accept him even though he did not fit her idea of an Alpha.

This episode showed the reason I don't like this show.  Why were their PSR's lowered?  It was raining, it was cold, there was no way they could get fire.  Samantha was medically evacuated and the producers pulled Adam.  Neither one of them tapped out, so why lower their PSR's?  Stupid show.

• Love 1

I recently read an article about this show which pretty much made me decide not to watch anymore. Lots of behind-the-scenes machinations, the monetary reward that is never mentioned, the editing for the narrative de jour (even worse than what I expected even though these reality shows are rife with it). Not sure how much of the article is true or fake, but I've gotten to the point that I don't even care to find out. I'll waste my time with scripted drama rather than scripted "reality" drama from now on (other than the two that seem much less contrived, The Last Alaskans and Life Below Zero).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

This episode showed the reason I don't like this show.  Why were their PSR's lowered?  It was raining, it was cold, there was no way they could get fire.  Samantha was medically evacuated and the producers pulled Adam.  Neither one of them tapped out, so why lower their PSR's?  Stupid show.

I've always figured the PSR is meaningless anyway, so it doesn't bother me too much.  It's not like they explain exactly what goes into calculating it.  I've also seen people who have survived their whole challenge and only went up a couple of tenths.  So again, meaningless.

I still feel sick thinking about that guy drinking that putrid coconut.  How was he not violently ill?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I recently read an article about this show which pretty much made me decide not to watch anymore. Lots of behind-the-scenes machinations, the monetary reward that is never mentioned, the editing for the narrative de jour (even worse than what I expected even though these reality shows are rife with it). Not sure how much of the article is true or fake, but I've gotten to the point that I don't even care to find out. I'll waste my time with scripted drama rather than scripted "reality" drama from now on (other than the two that seem much less contrived, The Last Alaskans and Life Below Zero).

One thing I always laugh at is, without fail they always find food right before extraction.  However, there are things that can't be faked, like the weather. There was one episode where the rain was so bad, the producers couldn't get to them.  My interest in the show isn't 100% about the survival aspect, it's about  how these two people get along, or don't.

• Love 4

I think last night was a new one. That guy thought he was something else, but since there was no food by the waterfall, they should have moved where there was food. Apparently he contracted malaria which is why he was so sick. But he just was such a know it all. I am in the top 5 of firestarters in the WORLD!!! LMAO okay I didn't know there was a ranking.  The woman was nuts eating that parrot brains- this is what made her sick, I'm sure of it. I don't think the producers planted that parrot head for her either, they usually come up with better Day 20 offerings.