Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

She was awesome.  I felt pretty bad for the guy: it's clearly prettymiserable to be out in the wild not even able to help your partner when dealing with all the other stress, includng wondering if you have done major damage to your hand or if its getting infected. 

I will agree that the superfan episode was a neat idea in concept.  And they seemed to get a relatively forgiving environment, which was helpful, (I mean, did they get any bug bites at all?). But I didnt like seeing him nearly take off his fingers with the machete at all.  That's such a "Im not a physical person" issue and in an unforgiving environment, was unpleasant to watch.  I'm glad Gabrielle made it.  I was worried for her during that final swim.  She worked so hard and had a great attitude.  I'm thrilled for her.  (Though I still think choosing to go on this show is insane!)

• Love 2

I thought that girl was really awesome--one of the best I've seen on the show.  She did great as an "amateur" and I'd love to see her on XL.

They just did a bad job picking the guy--he wasn't up to it.  I think last year's superfans made it though the challenge okay.

• Love 6
On 4/9/2017 at 10:04 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

How come Dawn was allowed to bring her mascara and her eyebrow tweezers?  An inquiring viewer wants to know.

I went back to take a look.  My guess is that she had eyelash extentions and also may have had them dyed.  She also appears to have eyeliner --apparently tattood on.   And--quite possible her brows were tattood as well.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, seasick said:

I went back to take a look.  My guess is that she had eyelash extentions and also may have had them dyed.  She also appears to have eyeliner --apparently tattood on.   And--quite possible her brows were tattood as well.  

I think last year Tawny had the same dyed eyelashes and tattooed eyeliner.  It looks pretty strange out in the wild.

• Love 2

Has anyone seen Jungletown?  It's on Vice channel.  There's no forum for it -- and not a general OT category here so posting it on this thread.    Some guy (named Jimmy btw- a little creepy yes)  wanting to build a self-sustainable town in the Panamanian jungle.  Has some paid staff and interns (ages 18-24)  that he charges 5 grand for a 10 week "semester' to brainstorm build etc.   It is a docu-series.   I think Jimmy has a little con-artist in him--vs. then the idealism of the project and the youth...  kinda interesting.    

• Love 3
On 4/10/2017 at 1:43 AM, niklj said:

Tonight's superfan episode was pretty lame.... It's never fun watching an episode where the survival strategy is to basically starve your way to the end.

I just think she must have had more to eat than the frogs.  She lost 11 lbs in 14 days, and never appeared to be avoiding calorie depleting activities.  She really was tough to handle those cold and wet nights.

• Love 1

I just noticed XL is starting tonight.  I haven't been as into the regular N&A this season so I hope I know these people.  I do enjoy the XL's far more than the regular season--I like the way they group them and then the interaction when they become one group.  

35 minutes ago, Christi said:

Umm.....so this is an entire episode of a sneak peek?

Wtf?

Yeah--I didn't realize that myself. but I'm glad at least that I can review the players and their episodes.  Shannon the stone mason  'ballcrusher' is back.  She is teamed up with two pretty capable men so it might go better this time unless she starts getting bossy and critical again.  She is the one personality I remember the most as her episode was recent.  If I recall, I liked the other three women on their episodes.  

The Dan the fisherman/Maria the Buddhist episode was interesting from a couple of standpoints.  Dan's desire to provide was assaulted by the Maria's steady approach.  No fire or water problems, did it even rain?

Was a treat to hear Dan say 'I could not have had a better partner' as they got into the truck.  It's nice when the participants appreciate what the other offers.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

On XL, Amber, who twice before has not completed a 21 day challenge, may be this season's Honora.

Had difficulty placing all of this season 3's participants, a couple of them go back a few seasons, and the Disco website is not really up to date for this.  

As they teased the 'surprise that will change the season', it seemed like the film crew had a drone in the air.  Could be Laura Z and EJ S. on the raft EJ made for that episode. 

A couple of survival school headmasters to plug their businesses this season.  Wonder how successful that was for the Jeff and EJ a couple of season's ago.  Seems that Disco promoted the idea that Russell dated Cassie, his low achieving team mate for the 4 person episode.

Edited by Liberty
3 hours ago, Liberty said:

The Dan the fisherman/Maria the Buddhist episode was interesting from a couple of standpoints.  Dan's desire to provide was assaulted by the Maria's steady approach.  No fire or water problems, did it even rain?

Was a treat to hear Dan say 'I could not have had a better partner' as they got into the truck.  It's nice when the participants appreciate what the other offers.

I enjoyed their ep. too.  Were they both single? They looked like a couple by the end.  

3 hours ago, Liberty said:

On XL, Amber, who twice before has not completed a 21 day challenge, may be this season's Honora.

Had difficulty placing all of this season 3's participants, a couple of them go back a few seasons, and the Disco website is not really up to date for this.  

As they teased the 'surprise that will change the season', it seemed like the film crew had a drone in the air.  Could be Laura Z and EJ S. on the raft EJ made for that episode. 

A couple of survival school headmasters to plug their businesses this season.  Wonder how successful that was for the Jeff and EJ a couple of season's ago.  Seems that Disco promoted the idea that Russell dated Cassie, his low achieving team mate for the 4 person episode.

Honora..  was she the one who tore up the guys' camp on XL?   Curious why you say she will be the "Honora" ?  So far it looks like Lacey is the bitch. I don't recall Amber's personality  from her eps.    

Great call about Laura and EJ on the raft.  I think you're right.  Those two can't seem to get enough of this, and they are fun to watch.  I wish Jake the gay horse trainer would return--he kicked ass and was funny too.  I remember him from "the Alaska Experiment".   

I don't have a problem with survival school teachers here as opposed to the ones we've seen on   "Alone".  I think it was Gabrielle who said it's not so much the skills but one's ability to deal with the 'suck' factor.  Most of the self-promoters there didn't seem to have it,  probably because that was their main motivation to show their skills off and then skedaddle.  Also there is the 'alone' factor that cannot be discounted.   

I like the XL so much more than the regular show, but of course part of that is being familiar with the players before the XL.   It's fun to see how they mix and more personalities to watch.    IIRC they allowed them more gear this season--the bow and arrow, throw net etc.  I do like that addition because it is more fun to see them possibly thrive. 

So far it appears Shannon is quiet and taking a bit of a back seat to her teammates so it will be interesting to see her personality when she is with more competent men.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, seasick said:

I wish Jake the gay horse trainer would return--he kicked ass and was funny too.  I remember him from "the Alaska Experiment".   

Maybe it is Jake and Sally on the mystery raft.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Maybe it is Jake and Sally on the mystery raft.

I don't remember Sally.  I do recall his partner was pretty weak and had a negative attitude for the better part of the challenge--so thinking it's not her.  Which one was Sally?   Jake did have to medivac on his XL IIRC so maybe it is him!  

Sorry to use Sally like that.  In one episode Jake said "See you at the see-saw Sally".  I find Jake one of the best humored and accomplished contestants and remembered that line.  There was no contestant named Sally, just Jake's use of the name.

• Love 2

LOL missed that one.. but my fave was during a bit of a male pissing contest on XL Jake said in his TH that the guy is probably intimidated by him because well.... (glancing back from his package with a knowing look)  

• Love 1

couple of things.  The run up eps to XL are starting.  I tried to start posting under XL here and it is closed.  There is it's own forum page but S3 is not started there yet.  I don't want to lose our little community here so if it opens up we may all be posting there.

I guess these run-up episides are named for the XL participants, but the appear to be just reruns of the old.  . ( I tuned in during the 6 minutes of commercial break--of course so I couldn't tell for awhile)  However good for a reminder, even if I don't watch all of it. 

I thought that was a wonderful idea to show the episodes that the XL participants were in.  I was not interested enough or free enough to watch them however, but it was a good idea to warm things up.

Did they show both of Amber Hargrove's episodes?

• Love 1

Pretty sure it did but I didn't catch it.  Disappointed.     I am seeing Lacey's ep. now.  They will show Giovanna and Shannon next.  .  I  really wanted the refresher on the girls more than the guys.  There are 4 women and 5 men, so--Amber the only one I'm missing.    

On 4/17/2017 at 5:47 AM, Liberty said:

Seems that Disco promoted the idea that Russell dated Cassie, his low achieving team mate for the 4 person episode.

That was one of the eps in the run up.  But actually--just wanted to catch your attention.  I looked on Discover site and see nothing about season 3 XL.Did I miss it somehow?  Bios for season 2 only.    BTW can't believe Russell could tolerate that whiney princess IRL even if she is pretty. 

Thanks.  Yeah I'm 'meh' about the regular show but have enjoyed the Xl.s    It can't exactly be a treat to film it-- you would think they would give it a little more play.   I noticed there's an "all stars' episode may 4th I think.  not sure what that could be.  It's too soon for them to do an aftershow.

So sorry to see Charlie go.. he's one of my favorites.  Once the other guy started with the negativity, I knew he realized he didn't want to do this again.  I have to admit, the place is brutal.  

As far as the regular episode, I was hoping that dick would tap out and so glad he left.  She was a bit chatty and yeah, that would have made me a little crazy, but not the worst thing.  Easy to solve by just asking for some quiet time.   

• Love 4

Wow I felt so bad for Melissa having to deal with Jeff. He ranks right up there with some of the more unsufferable survivalists. While I might have been annoyed by constant chatter, there's a better way to talk to your partner about that than saying "Hey you're annoying me okay good I'm over it and you're over it."

Good job, Melissa.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, seasick said:

As far as the regular episode, I was hoping that dick would tap out and so glad he left.  She was a bit chatty and yeah, that would have made me a little crazy, but not the worst thing.  Easy to solve by just asking for some quiet time.   

Another ex-military male with a crap attitude and poor social skills.  These military people just do not do well on this show, their bravado must be founded on Government Issued resources that are not available to them on N & A.  The good side of these veterans is they are proud of their service.

• Love 4

Maria the native princess was sensational.  For a vegetarian, she was pretty bold with the insects. Look, grubs! Nom nom nom.  Oh, termite larva!  Pop'em in mah mouth! Grasshoppers... let's grill them like hot dogs on a stick!

One good thing about this episode is that they were in a good location where there was fish.  There wasn't much vegetable nutrition but they had meat.  The jungle locations seem the worst for finding food, just an impression I am getting.

• Love 2

Re: XL (why hasn't that forum been updated?), it was funny seeing the clips of the animals after Matt moaned about "no animals here!" Why did he even go on the show? I think if someone gets injured on Day 1, they should have a backup person to step in.

• Love 4

Why don't these people ever make soup? They have bones, and flesh on bones..and those who have a pot? It drives me nuts! They could boil up the carcasses and make something more nutritious than a frog on a stick.  We just got a turtle! Lets cut all the meat out and grill it! Ever hear of turtle soup? Wow.

Edited by Dishin
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Dishin said:

Why don't these people ever make soup? They have bones, and flesh on bones..and those who have a pot? It drives me nuts! They could boil up the carcasses and make something more nutritious than a frog on a stick.  We just got a turtle! Lets cut all the meat out and grill it! Ever hear of turtle soup? Wow.

This comment made me laugh.  I just pictured a mama in a big Italian or Jewish kitchen yelling 'Why don't you make a nice soup!"  But I get the sentiment for sure.  The broth from the bones etc. has plenty of nutrients, not to mention the extra hydration. I've only seen it done once.  It seems foolish not to.   

My question is always 'Why don't they warm rocks by the fire( then wrap them) and lay them on their sleeping platform for warmth?"  Didn't they have bed warmers many years ago that they would heat in the fire and use to warm up their beds?  

9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Re: XL (why hasn't that forum been updated?), it was funny seeing the clips of the animals after Matt moaned about "no animals here!" Why did he even go on the show? I think if someone gets injured on Day 1, they should have a backup person to step in.

It was funny with them showing all these animals with Matt walking by whining,  with his head down.  I think people are probably flattered to be asked and maybe forget the pain until it becomes real.  It's also possible that he didn't like the group dynamic.  The other guy( forget his name) is bright and positive--Shannon is really strong.  Just from his regular episode I think he's fearful being shown-up and that was a big possibility with those two--not intentionally.  He brought a slingshot on his regular ep which proved worthless, yet I think he's pretty capable in his real life world.  Certainly the "are you feeling sorry for yourself?" question was the final blow.

It appears there are more people to come.  I'[m guessing they expect early-outs.--and maybe fun to see some old faves return.

13 hours ago, Liberty said:

Thinking back to last season's XL, the first couple of days saw Carrie Booze quit in the first day or two.  IIRC she sited how dangerous it was.  (Some may have speculated her appearance at all was intended to put a modeling career on a rocket ship to the top).  

I don't remember her.  Maybe I can catch a clip on the website.  I do recall a military woman who's intro showed modeling sexy poses.  Enhanced lips boobs and butt.  I remember reveling over her perfectly perfect round butt until I realized mmm..likely had some help there. 

I don't know why XL has not been updated.  I really don't think it calls for another page--it's not that popular.   I guess I'll try to start a topic on this page.  If the other XL forum opens up we can switch over.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Liberty said:

Another ex-military male with a crap attitude and poor social skills.  These military people just do not do well on this show, their bravado must be founded on Government Issued resources that are not available to them on N & A.  The good side of these veterans is they are proud of their service.

My son is an active duty *US MARINE*. He's been in a about a year and a half. He told me that they are taught that anything they do has a reason behind it. You don't do anything that will put yourself or your unit in harms way. You don't do anything that is unnecessary. Being out in the middle of a rain forest is unnecessary unless you're going to liberate it or for humanitarian reasons.

There isn't any reason  to be in the middle of a rain forest starving/freezing. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Dishin said:

I'm pretty sure I saw them make soup on one of these episodes before, maybe with crab or something. Melissa made tea in this last episode, which I enjoyed.

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 9:46 PM, seasick said:

I just posted new topic for Season 3 XL on this page.  

Are you the mod here? These are two completely different shows. I get that fans of one are probably fans of both but I really didn't want or  expect conversation about XL in this forum. 

14 hours ago, Subrookie said:

Are you the mod here? These are two completely different shows. I get that fans of one are probably fans of both but I really didn't want or  expect conversation about XL in this forum. 

no subrookie--I just started XL S3 on this page because the other was closed.  But it was started late,  after the show started--thus the several XL posts above.

What the heck did I just watch? Was she actually saying she had sex with a demon? Did that happen after calling him her jungle husband? Did I imagine all that? I cannot imagine that it is actually real, but I'm not that imaginative.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/24/2017 at 9:47 AM, Liberty said:
On 4/23/2017 at 10:32 PM, seasick said:

He was such an intolerable jerk, I was relieved when he burst into tears and left, because I was worried he was going to snap and hurt her. I agree, that military often does not do well, here. We have men and women crack quickly and dramatically. They do not seem to thrive having to improvise and take initiative. Although, I can't believe this guy could ever be told what to do either, considering how cruel he was to her when she attempted to collaborate chores. He chilled me to the bone, talking to her that way. I hope his parents slapped the tar out of him when he got home. Military heroes stop being heroes when they become abusive bullies incapable of working with others. The way she held her tongue and attempted to keep the peace made her a class act to me.

The free spirits better handle the spontaneity of this situation. Some inner strength gets them through the marathon. The optimists probably have an edge on the realists, here. It takes a degree of delusion to even come on the show, so it only makes sense that more delusion can keep them going.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:37 PM, stillhere1900 said:

My son is an active duty *US MARINE*. He's been in a about a year and a half. He told me that they are taught that anything they do has a reason behind it. You don't do anything that will put yourself or your unit in harms way. You don't do anything that is unnecessary. Being out in the middle of a rain forest is unnecessary unless you're going to liberate it or for humanitarian reasons.

There isn't any reason  to be in the middle of a rain forest starving/freezing. 

Jeff's attitude was about being a petulant baby, not the lack of humanitarian reasons for behaving like a decent human being in a tough situation. There is no justification for that, no matter who you are. I love the military, but no military can excuse his behaviour. He volunteered to be there, and then took it out on her. He should have known he doesn't play well with others, and that possibly being paired up with someone 24/7 would not be a good idea. I bet that psycho was a lousy marine.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 7
(edited)

When Jeff told Melissa that she's the type of girl he'd normally run away from, I wanted to shout at him that this isn't a dating show!  This isn't marriage!  Suck it up buttercup it's only 21 days.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
It's Jeff, not Matt
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, rlc said:

Was she actually saying she had sex with a demon? Did that happen after calling him her jungle husband? Did I imagine all that? I cannot imagine that it is actually real, but I'm not that imaginative.

IIRC Jeremy said he believed in some supernatural entities in his voice over during his boat ride.  A couple of seasons ago, wasn't there a male character from Utah who claimed that he had an encounter with Bigfoot caving in his tent?

Since the X-Files was cancelled, there has been a void in my Sunday viewing, until last night's episode.

Let's hope that Jeremy's wife and three children do not mind him staying an extra 5 days. 

Louisiana:  Might production have suggested a mosquito net instead of a pot?   Probably would have saved the episode.   

I'm a big scaredy-cat with that supernatural stuff so I FF'd thru the 'sex w the demon' part.  It bothers me that she keeps 'telling ghost stories' so to speak, in that creepy place.  I wouldn't want my partner to be in a panic over an  over-active imagination.  I may be thinking 'Blair WItch",  but would keep it to myself to keep him level headed.

I t was a weird episode, ending before it seemed to even start with a "part 2".  I think they both tap out before long--thus all the built up suspense-- over what I think will be a lost challenge.  Part one dragged--let's face it.  

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

IIRC Jeremy said he believed in some supernatural entities in his voice over during his boat ride.  A couple of seasons ago, wasn't there a male character from Utah who claimed that he had an encounter with Bigfoot caving in his tent?

I recall the 'bigfoot" guy who seemed pretty convinced and believable.  But-- I have since convinced myself that it was likely a big damp smelly dog.  I was camping in the Sequoias ( by myself) with my dog and cat.  It was fairly cool out and they both insisted on sleeping on top of me even though we were in the tent.  I like to camp. Haven't done it in awhile but--NO "Bigfeets".  lol

I think he did mention supernatural legends etc.. and I do think God only knows what's out there--but it's perhaps the "jersey Devil" kind of stuff.  It works for this episode and likely tweaked by his new partner to make a more interesting show.  ( I do predict they will not last)

Good thing the cameramen were there or Jeff may have hit Melissa.  He seemed like the type who would be abusive towards women.  These people are being filmed and the results will be shown on TV for their friends and family to see.  I guess in the moment they don't think about how they're going to come across to viewers.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm from the Deep South and under no circumstances would I ever, ever, ever consider participating in a swamp challenge. Well, let me quantify that I would never consider the show under any circumstances but you get my drift LOL 

I've been on a few swamp tours over the years. I saw the first swamp episode of N&A a couple of years ago, not long before my most recent swamp tour. Anyway, I watched that episode with horror because I couldn't imagine how anyone would have the guts to try it. Sure, all of the show locales are shady in their own ways but the swamps here in lower Alabama scare me when we are traveling adjacent to them in our 17 foot boat. That's nothing like the LA bayou. 

So, when we did a LA swamp tour last May, I saw it through a N&A lens. The tour is an hour and a half and goes deep into narrow fingers of water that the boat barely fits through. There are big *ss snakes hanging out on logs, stumps, overhanging tree branches and swimming in the muddy waters. The gators can be seen moving through the water even without the guide doing the gator calls or bribing them with Vienna sausages on longish sticks or marshmallows. The wild pigs can be seen swimming and walking around in the horrific smelling water. Mind you, there are both occupied shacks and half a million dollar houses interspersed along the banks and there are often snakes laying on the docks and gators hanging near them too. Hell, one nice home had a couple of wild pigs run through their yard into the water when the guide called them. The pigs weren't even theirs. Even the mosquitoes are epically sized and have been swarming on our mid morning and early afternoon tours. No question that dusk to past dawn would be three lifetimes long.

I don't knock anyone's beliefs but to me, the real and present dangers in the swamp FAR outweigh any possible 'hauntings' of past inhabitants. I'll say that the native tribes were hellishly bad*ssed to have called the swamp their home. Is it any wonder that the French paid their settlers 'well' to colonize the area and sent beautiful Casket girls to marry them? 

I am just rambling now so I'll stop. It's just that you couldn't pay me to try one 24 hour period, much less 21 days and these folks don't get one red cent. More power to them.

Oh and I think Jeremy was 100% real when he said he wanted anywhere but LA. In this case, the devil he knew was WORSE than the one he didn't LOL 

Edited by HahYallDoin
Typo x3
  • Love 4