Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2019 at 6:23 PM, Emkat said:

That couples episode is the most wholesome thing I have seen for awhile.  Had me tearing up! They make a great team.

That was one of the best Naked and Afraid episodes I've ever seen.  I loved how he made a ring out of the tree of life. got down on one knee and proposed.

For me this show isn't about the challenge; sure some stuff might be faked, not those bug bites or the fact they're starving, but the emotions are real; the way the couples relate to each other is real.  Couples might not have to survive something as extreme as the jungle, but they'll have to survive other types of hard times.  I think those two will make it.

• Love 3

Really too bad they don't have subforums here because I'd have loved to read up on the Naked and Afraid XL. I just finished the first season/Columbia/Electric Eel City on demand and I'm starting the second season in Africa. Doesn't seem like the 2nd season cast has as much charisma as the first. Not to mention barely a sustainable water supply and lions all over the gotdamn place. I don't know which is worse. Apex predators constantly threatening with just their presence or getting eaten alive from head to toe by jungle bugs.  

• Love 1
On 4/29/2019 at 2:02 PM, lu1535 said:

I own a dachshund and we had an "incident" last night. If I were ever crazy enough to be on this show, I would have my dachshund in my bag. My partner and I would eat like kings! Dachshund are much better and effective than fish baskets. 

Seriously.  I'm a terrier lover, and it's crazy how hard-wired they are to hunt critters.  Unapologetic anti-squirrelite.  I wonder how common it is for primitive cultures to use dogs to kill small prey for food.

I love the show's ability to illustrate that, given a level playing field, it's the person's innate personality, life experiences, and interpersonal flexibility that predict success on the challenge, not their gender.  It's hard to predict at the beginning of the show.  

(edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Lady Iris said:

Really too bad they don't have subforums here because I'd have loved to read up on the Naked and Afraid XL.

XL has its own thread, but it got buried in the list because there hasn't been any activity there for a while.

Edited by djlynch
  • Useful 1

I watched Sunday's episode.  I don't get this show at all.  In this episode, the woman tapped out on day 2 because of the cold and they didn't give him a new partner.  I'm sure I watched an episode where one person tapped out early on and they were replaced.  This guy went 19 days without a partner.

I watched the Alaska episode and I think they were given some kind of warm skin.  I don't know why these folks weren't given something like that.  True it wasn't below zero but 46 degrees is way too cold to be naked.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

In this episode, the woman tapped out on day 2 because of the cold and they didn't give him a new partner.  I'm sure I watched an episode where one person tapped out early on and they were replaced. 

Yep -- they just replayed an episode where it happened this past weekend, so I had just watched and I wondered the same thing (I'm pretty sure I've seen some where a new person has come at up to 3 or 4 days) . I think in the rerun they were in the US, though, so maybe it was easier to find a replacement on short notice, whereas if they're more remote, they can't? You'd think they'd plan for that, in any case.

• Love 2

I'm watching the "No Safety in Numbers" episode and I think it's one of the most interesting Naked and Afraid episodes ever.  I think they should show this episode to college psychology classes.

Two pairs of survivalists merge and within 24 hours three people tapped out, leaving Max alone and damn, I thought he'd tap out too.  But Max was a fucking rock star.  He was awesome.

• Love 2

I just finished last Sunday's episode and it has left me pondering. Quince is transgender, born female but identified male. I understand that and I understand the process, I applaud him for his bravery during his transition but what I want to know is at what moment during anyone's change process does the network censor say "OK, now we can show nipple!"

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, lu1535 said:

at what moment during anyone's change process does the network censor say "OK, now we can show nipple!"

Hey, I just realize it goes the other way too. At what point does the censor yell "Stop, we can't show that nipple anymore!" This man vs woman shirtless issue is confusing. All or nothing please.

• Love 1
On 6/2/2019 at 2:21 PM, Neurochick said:

Two pairs of survivalists merge and within 24 hours three people tapped out, leaving Max alone and damn, I thought he'd tap out too.  But Max was a fucking rock star.  He was awesome.

He’s part of this year’s XL and killing it there too.  I’m glad he has plenty of people around him but he seems to be turning into the main food provider for the group.  I’m not sure how good that is in case he goes down and has to leave.  

3 hours ago, lu1535 said:

I just finished last Sunday's episode and it has left me pondering. Quince is transgender, born female but identified male. I understand that and I understand the process, I applaud him for his bravery during his transition but what I want to know is at what moment during anyone's change process does the network censor say "OK, now we can show nipple!"

I applaud him as well.  I was concerned for Quince’s toe when he messed it up after he was left alone - but like a trooper he made it through!  I don’t think I would have continued on if I was in the same situation. 

• Love 5

With Naked & Afraid going to 2 episodes a night and throwing Thursday night and XL into the mix, is anyone else as confused as I am about which shows are new and which are reruns? 😵

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

There were a few weeks in a row that I’d tune in on Sunday night for a new episode (at least as indicated by my online listing) and they would show an episode with the woman always saying she’s not into cuddling no matter how cold it gets so I’ve been confused too. 

I know I saw a new episode last night - the young woman kind of reminded me of Megan Markle looks wise and I know I haven’t seen her before, lol.  

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I know I saw a new episode last night - the young woman kind of reminded me of Megan Markle looks wise and I know I haven’t seen her before, lol.  

She DID look like her, so much so that it was distracting. LOL  Poor "Meghan' how many times was she stung by those effing bees, and then a scorpion?!?!  She's lucky she's not having some sort of reaction.   Tough as sh*t that girl.

The jaguars stalking the camp are freaking me out.   This one seems dangerous as all hell.

Part 2 is next week.  

• Love 2
Just now, jnymph said:

She DID look like her, so much so that it was distracting. LOL  Poor "Meghan' how many times was she stung by those effing bees, and then a scorpion?!?!  She's lucky she's not having some sort of reaction.   Tough as sh*t that girl.

The jaguars stalking the camp are freaking me out.   This one seems dangerous as all hell.

Part 2 is next week.  

This pair really seem like two nice and mature human beings.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, lu1535 said:

With Naked & Afraid going to 2 episodes a night and throwing Thursday night and XL into the mix, is anyone else as confused as I am about which shows are new and which are reruns? 😵

It certainly has my DVR confused. They mark the back-to-back hours as single episodes so I get "new" episodes that are two hours that I've seen before or one-hour "new" that I've seen as part of a two-hour block.

• Love 3

So I am watching S10 Ep16 "Strife in Africa " and I can not believe my eyes but this guy named Luke in this episode is Luke from last season of "Married at First Sight" I am amazed 

11 hours ago, Witchz said:

So I am watching S10 Ep16 "Strife in Africa " and I can not believe my eyes but this guy named Luke in this episode is Luke from last season of "Married at First Sight" I am amazed 

Da hell!!!! I have to watch this!

They kind of look similar but the last names and ages don't match. Also, either MAFS Luke has a shirtless pic on his Instagram that doesn't show any of the tattoos N&A Luke has.

I recently watched the Shark special.  The group did surprisingly well, managing to catch a decent amount of fish despite all the sharks.  There appeared to be a couple of really close calls that had me wondering if they were "really" close calls or just editing.  Which led me to ponder, just how dangerous does N&A let this get?  They have evacuated people for a hurricane I know, but how much can they protect these folks from the sharks when the participants are swimming, splashing, etc. in the water just feet away from predatory sharks?  Despite some participants getting seriously injured and ill during filming, no one has yet gotten attacked by a bear, hippo, shark, etc.  Is it that perilous of a tightrope for the producers to determine how dangerous is too dangerous, or is it edited to look a whole lot more dangerous than it really is?   after all these seasons, I'm leaning more toward the editing. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, suzeecat said:

...how dangerous is too dangerous, or is it edited to look a whole lot more dangerous than it really is?   after all these seasons, I'm leaning more toward the editing. 

I think you're leaning in the right direction.  But I still fear that some of these outdoor competition shows will keep pushing the envelope until someone is killed.

• Love 1
On 8/1/2019 at 2:47 PM, suzeecat said:

I recently watched the Shark special.  The group did surprisingly well, managing to catch a decent amount of fish despite all the sharks.  There appeared to be a couple of really close calls that had me wondering if they were "really" close calls or just editing.  Which led me to ponder, just how dangerous does N&A let this get?  They have evacuated people for a hurricane I know, but how much can they protect these folks from the sharks when the participants are swimming, splashing, etc. in the water just feet away from predatory sharks?  Despite some participants getting seriously injured and ill during filming, no one has yet gotten attacked by a bear, hippo, shark, etc.  Is it that perilous of a tightrope for the producers to determine how dangerous is too dangerous, or is it edited to look a whole lot more dangerous than it really is?   after all these seasons, I'm leaning more toward the editing. 

If someone needs a bit of stitches, they cry medic. I don't think they are in any danger. Every time they get the sniffles, someone has help come in. I wish the show was more real, But I don't think it is. If you need the medic, you should tap out. You didn't make it!!!

Jeff Zausch is lame.

Production would not put the participants in situations where wild animals would create danger.  It's amazing how they even let them have sharp objects given the number of people that cut themselves.  We see a few participants get medical help, and there is no telling how many get help that are not shown.

It's contrived, but I must ask, when will we get some new shows?

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

Caught and ad for the new season of N&A.

Seems as if they are trying out a one contestant format, one 'survivalist' by themselves for 21 days.  Sounds strangely like another survival show, but I cant think of the name of it.

They kind of dry ran this with Matt Wright a season or to ago.

My latest "New" episode was Laura Zern's first show.

Let's not forget Jeff Zausch is lame.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:15 AM, Liberty said:

Caught and ad for the new season of N&A.

Seems as if they are trying out a one contestant format, one 'survivalist' by themselves for 21 days.  Sounds strangely like another survival show, but I cant think of the name of it.

They kind of dry ran this with Matt Wright a season or to ago.

My latest "New" episode was Laura Zern's first show.

Let's not forget Jeff Zausch is lame.

Checking the TV schedule the first episode is tonight.  Seeing who it is I’m not impressed however I may tune in just to see how well he does.  I’d be surprised if we see either Jeff or Laura although I guess whoever can participate depends on their availability and interest.  I hope there’s no one that’s tapped out multiple times.  

• Love 2
On 1/5/2020 at 11:30 PM, PaperTree said:

Well that was boring, as expected.

Most of the fun is the interactions of the couple, whether they fight or get along.

Same thing happens when one taps out real early and it's just dull.

Agreed, PaperTree!  Whatever were the producers thinking when they decided on this "one survivalist" theme?!?!? Didn't ANYONE think, "Hmmmm....50% of this show's attraction is how the contestants relate and collaborate with each other!?"  If I wanted to watch a pure 'survival in the wild"show, I'd go for Bear Grylls!  Sorry to say, this new format is lame.  Asking ONE person to "carry the show" is more of a challenge than surviving the jungles, deserts and prowling hyenas!

• Love 3

Gary put on a few pounds before doing this episode. Smart move. He won me over with the little turtle he befriended, little Timmy. That was sweet that he couldn't eat him even tho he was starving. I wouldn't have eaten Timmy either. One thing tho, .. Timmy was obviously a land turtle, some kind of tortoise or box turtle. They only go for a shallow soak in water and are not built for swimming. I hope it found an easy access out of that water or it would have died. Poor little Timmy was straining to get away, and had no where else to go but the water, when Gary let go of him on that fallen tree.

36 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Jan. 19 epi: I really hate that the poor tortoise gave its life for that quitter!

I’m not a Lacy fan from her last appearance on XL (where she quit too) but I watched anyway since she wouldn’t have anyone to not get along with.  So first she’s glad she doesn’t have someone there with her then it turns into how hard all of this is and can’t stick it out for 3 more days?  I hope we don’t see her again. 

Going back to Gary’s episode, I  didn’t care for him during his XL challenge but he redeemed himself in the 2 parter with Matt and the inexperienced partners.  I liked that he adopted that turtle he found on his solo challenge.  He seems really passionate about his beliefs regarding survival.  

• Love 2

So Lacey gets to be a "Naked and Afraid All-Star" and get a solo show, after quitting 2 out of 3 previous challenges😖.

With standards like that maybe Honora will be coming back soon.

Edited by Liberty
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Liberty said:

With standards like that maybe Honora will be coming back soon.

I hope not.  I’d like to see Manu again however given why she tapped out during the last XL the timing may not be good for her.  

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

.... I’d like to see Manu again however given why she tapped out during the last XL .....  

Totally agree.  She was a talented participant.  Was it she who contracted dengue fever?

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

So far, to me, this has been a boring season in which each episode is just like the other episodes , but with different people. 

Walk, find dirty poo water, build a fire, boil it, chop trees, build a bowma (I know I spelled that wrong). Try to kill an animal. Finally have success. Hear the big beasts snooping around your area in the night. Get scared. Walk out on last day. Rinse (in dirty poo water) and repeat.

NEXT!

The lack of interaction with a partner makes it very dull after the 5 shows already presented this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Just watched Ky.  She is one dedicated survivalist, and really worked hard.  I do not believe she knew about the trees of Ecuador's special properties on her own.  (there have been other demonstrations of arboreal knowledge that I find unbelievable over the years)

What I recall from her Louisiana adventure was her supportive attitude for her partner.  In the Liberty rankings she is right up there with Manu.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if its new, but I watched "In Too Deep" last night with Lisa/Joe in the Bahamas.  That was an amazing episode - truly one of the harder challenges I've seen with them having to raft 25 miles and island hop for food and water.  I couldn't watch the egg segment, but Lisa is a truly amazing survivor, in more ways than one!

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, piccolascimmia said:

I'm not sure if its new, but I watched "In Too Deep" last night with Lisa/Joe in the Bahamas.  That was an amazing episode - truly one of the harder challenges I've seen with them having to raft 25 miles and island hop for food and water.  I couldn't watch the egg segment, but Lisa is a truly amazing survivor, in more ways than one!

I’m certain it was a new episode.  This was one of the better episodes of one of the participants repeatedly stating how they’re doing this for so and so.  I imagine Lisa’s deceased friend who she was doing it for was there in spirit rooting her on.  That segment with the eggs was hard to watch - how do you know if the egg in those situations is good until you break it open?

At the end Lisa’s seemed pretty happy about accomplishing her goal.  I wonder if we'll see her again. 

• Love 2

Yeah, Lisa talking to her friend when she needed a sign?  I generally am not built that way but felt like it was what she needed to tell herself to buck up and get through it. 

Re: the eggs...yeah, I don't think you can not open them when you're in that situation.  I'd have felt like her after seeing the embryos and there's likely no way I could have eaten it.

Oh and how Joe got through a few days with a kidney stone?  As someone who has gone through passing a kidney stone once, I cannot imagine going through that without pain meds for more than a day.  HORRIBLE pain.  Too bad that happened or they would have continued to be a good team.

And her hair!  That's a great way to bring a 'tool' without it being your special item.  She can get another dred put in when she gets home 🙂

• Love 3

Just watched S12, E6, Double Down in the Jungle, with Larae and Chris.

Wonder if Chris would have lasted 21 days if Larae had not 'rolled her ankle'.  Seemed like these two found strength in each other in the few days they were together, and might have been a couple who truly supported each other to make it 21 days.

• Love 1

Just watched S11, E18, Biting Back at Africa.

Such a contrast between the "military" pair and the experienced pair.

Lauren & Diggie really made a nice couple, with each demonstrating the necessary skills and temperament to survive.

Danelle & Rod made a miserable couple, each demonstrating an intolerance for the other and having a hodge-podge of skill.  If Danelle's choice of wood to burn was really poisonous she clearly did not have the knowledge it took to be there.  It was funny that she was quick to say '10 years' Air Force, and Rod hid the branch of the armed forces he spent 8 years in. 

Rod did not appreciate the effort Danelle was putting forth, and was not even savvy enough to sooth Danelle's self-pity with appreciative compliments.  Each of these two would have had a more pleasant experience with more submissive partners.

• Love 2