Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Big Picture

• Start Topic

Jeff adjusts to the news about Reagan's pregnancy; Jon prepares for the opening of his art gallery; Justin's mother drops some truth bombs; Barry delivers some tough love to his son; Tamica and Reagan's truce is short lived as tensions explode.

Airs July 28, 2019.

(edited)

Perhaps in next week's episode, Rachel will get tagged as:

Everyone's friend.  But Fugazing Reagan.

This show is just fantastic!  It's fun, the relationships come off real.  Like this stuff would happen without the cameras.  But it's not just lighthearted stuff.  They bring up real life in America.  

The men.  Just.  Love.  Them!  And they're mature!  Responsible! Funny. Loyal.  

Also.  I felt bad for Reece tonight.  You know what.  He may be a crawfish, but he's trying.  And I think the group is trying.  But Regan's getting in the way.

I think this has become my favorite Bravo show.  

mardi gras GIF

Edited by dosodog
  • Love 14

My Moody appreciation grows each week. We are from wildly different worlds but I appreciate what he’s doing and how he’s doing it.

Reagan...lawd she is tiring, but not as tiring as Tamica. Looking forward to the neon green danceoffs next week though!

• Love 4

John is growing on me but damn, I need closed captioning to understand half of what he says.

Reagan is insufferable.   She wants to be in with the others but when Rachel is talking to Reece, she goes in hot.

I really do like the men on the show.  Well, except Reece.  Maybe time will tell.

• Love 7

Reagan is such a phony. She's not worth anyone's effort. 

I loved the scene with Justin and his mom at lunch.  She gave him good advice and I was pleasantly surprised to hear her praise Kelsey. I had gotten the impression last season that she wasn't crazy about her at all. 

It was great to see them all having such a good time at Friendsgiving with the pinata. This show is the best of the SC series because these people all have known each other for several/many years and actually like each other. Sure, there's some drama (Reagan 🙄 ) but even the drama feels organic and not producer driven.

Rachel NEEDS to be a full-fledged cast member if there's a season 3. (And I truly hope there's a 3rd!) I like Susan too, although we don't see her as often.

I was uncomfortable watching Barry's discussion with Hunter. Don't get me wrong; that is just the kind of father/son conversation that has to happen. My complaint is having the cameras rolling during it. Barry and Tamica signed off on having cameramen follow them everywhere; perhaps it's just me but I think for something of this nature involving a minor child, there shouldn't be cameras following them. JMO, of course.

Jon Moody is incredibly talented and I love that he's working with local kids. Moody's the baby of the SCNO group. He's really not all that much older than the kids he's mentoring. It makes him so relatable to them. 

This was a really good episode!

• Love 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I loved the scene with Justin and his mom at lunch.  She gave him good advice and I was pleasantly surprised to hear her praise Kelsey. I had gotten the impression last season that she wasn't crazy about her at all. 

I thought she was doing some kind of reverse ploy. Pretend that you like the girlfriend and hope your adult-son, will do the opposite - break up with her.

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Was Reagan for real, being upset with Tamica because everyone was “at my house” for Friendsgiving?  News flash - not your house anymore.

Well Sonja Morgan still brags about P. Diddy partying in the yacht she no longer owns. Reagan is a lawyer. She knows about the doctrine of abandonment. She sure as shit abandoned Jeff and that house. She needs to shut her Sazerac hole.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Rachel NEEDS to be a full-fledged cast member if there's a season 3. (And I truly hope there's a 3rd!) I like Susan too, although we don't see her as often.

I hope Rachel gets bumped up to full cast member too.  Since she's "everybody's" friend, it made sense for her to introduce the idea of a cast trip.  However, I really want the travel budget to be bumped up in S3 (fingers crossed there is one), because Destin in December has got to be about the cheapest place they could go without going wilderness survival mode on some back bayou. 

This show is just so much better than original recipe for many reasons, but one that I really appreciate is far fewer people chew with their mouths hanging open.  I can actually eat dinner while I watch this show.

I'd suggest a drinking game to take a shot every time Reagan whines, "That's not fair!", but I don't want to send people to the ER for alcohol poisoning. LOL

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

I don't know if I'm softening towards Reese or it's just that being stuck with Reagan generates a large degree of sympathy within me.

Reese.  Is a chucklefuck.  Inserted into a group of mature men.  

He'd fit perfectly into Vanderpump Rules.

oh yeah yes GIF

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, dosodog said:

Reese.  Is a chucklefuck.  Inserted into a group of mature men.  

He'd fit perfectly into Vanderpump Rules.

He would fit in with the guys from original recipe SC as well.

I have to admit I did like when he told Reagan that the conversation with Rachel was fine and when he just walked away from Rachel and Reagan. Though it is a very low bar with Reese.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I was uncomfortable watching Barry's discussion with Hunter. Don't get me wrong; that is just the kind of father/son conversation that has to happen. My complaint is having the cameras rolling during it. Barry and Tamica signed off on having cameramen follow them everywhere; perhaps it's just me but I think for something of this nature involving a minor child, there shouldn't be cameras following them. JMO, of course.

I actually thought it was super important because it was somewhat uncomfortable to see.  It's something that a portion of the viewers don't have to think about, really.  I'm white and my parent did explain how to handle yourself if you got pulled over, but it was mostly a pull over as soon as you safely can, turn down the radio, wait with your hands visible, etc.  I'm well aware that for a lot of people, there are far more concerns when being pulled over, but not everyone is.  I know people who just don't believe that it's true, they think what happens to them is what happens to everyone, they can't see outside of their bubble.  So seeing a conversation like that on tv helps to make the point.  I just wish we had a world where it didn't have to be done at all. 

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Well Sonja Morgan still brags about P. Diddy partying in the yacht she no longer owns. Reagan is a lawyer. She knows about the doctrine of abandonment. She sure as shit abandoned Jeff and that house. She needs to shut her Sazerac hole.

Don't forgot John John!

• Love 14
43 minutes ago, smores said:

I actually thought it was super important because it was somewhat uncomfortable to see.  It's something that a portion of the viewers don't have to think about, really.  I'm white and my parent did explain how to handle yourself if you got pulled over, but it was mostly a pull over as soon as you safely can, turn down the radio, wait with your hands visible, etc.  I'm well aware that for a lot of people, there are far more concerns when being pulled over, but not everyone is.  I know people who just don't believe that it's true, they think what happens to them is what happens to everyone, they can't see outside of their bubble.  So seeing a conversation like that on tv helps to make the point.  I just wish we had a world where it didn't have to be done at all. 

Don't forgot John John!

As I said, it's a conversation that needs to happen. I just think it shouldn't have happened on camera. That's what I'm not comfortable with.

2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

As I said, it's a conversation that needs to happen. I just think it shouldn't have happened on camera. That's what I'm not comfortable with.

I personally think that because it is necessary and so important to have it needs to be shown on tv.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

50 minutes ago, smores said:

When it comes to disparate treatment or rules for people of color, there is, quite frankly, not nearly enough time devoted to discussing this across all media. I'm going to applaud Barry and Tamica for bringing it up on camera because Hunter will not be treated the same. I know; I'm a Black woman.

I've had police pull me over for a ton of nonsense, search me, and never been arrested. I've had them follow me as far as 25 miles after pulling me over and finding nothing. I was stopped and frisked while I was, no joke, leaving the opera because I resembled a "suspect" in a burglary, and released when they found nothing on me only to walk one block more and run across the actual burglars who were a bunch of drunk white guys loudly and openly bragging about their crime. I knew these dopes. Not one of them was ever arrested. My 12 year old brother was tackled by a police officer and had a gun held to his head because the officer had simply seen my brother running across a mall parking lot to meet up with my mom. There was no crime committed or outstanding issue the officer was responding to. When my mom saw what was happening and ran over, the officer blurted out that he saw a Black kid running and assumed he must have committed a crime. My brother wrestled at Penn (the Ivy league school). They had some sort of match/meet/ whatever. My brother beat this guy from Harvard who had been trash talking them before the match. After the match, my brother and his teammates were giving the Harvard guy shit because he lost. The white Harvard guy pulled a knife and stabbed my brother repeatedly and slashed his face. The police arrive and immediately handcuff my brother who is bleeding on the pavement, but not the guy from Harvard who was being restrained by the other guys on the Penn wrestling team who managed get the knife away from him. My brother is fine, but has significant scarring from the attack.

So to hear the idea that this kind of discussion shouldn't occur on television makes me so FUCKING LIVID! None of this bullshit goes away because we hide it from the light of day. None of goes away because we don't discuss it in public. This is why Mamie Till had an open casket funeral for her son to remind people what their private discussions get us.

• Love 23

I had to laugh when Reece walked away from the hens fighting and said something like "I just want to go back to the farm". Or country, or ranch or what ever exactly he said. I don't think he cares at all to be friends with any of these people, he's doing it for Reagan and that's going to get old once he has a ring on it and the baby is born. 

I like the way Jeff handled Reagan on the phone. He was basically telling her he didn't give a shit anymore about her problems and he wasn't overly friendly at the art show, either. He's finally getting over it!

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I was stopped and frisked while I was, no joke, leaving the opera because I resembled a "suspect" in a burglary, and released when they found nothing on me only to walk one block more and run across the actual burglars who were a bunch of drunk white guys loudly and openly bragging about their crime. I knew these dopes. Not one of them was ever arrested.

When I was around 20, I was driving home from work one night and was pulled over.  I can't remember why, but I couldn't find the registration and proof of insurance for my car (I don't remember if I had changed wallets and forgot to move them, or I was sure they were in the console, etc).  I did show my license, but that was it and I was clearly upset that I couldn't find the other things.  The cop told me not to worry about it, he had only pulled me over because my car matched the description of one that been used in the commission of a crime and then let me go.  No ticket, no warning, nothing.  And that's exactly the problem with the system.  

So many people assume that because they have an experience like mine, your experiences don't happen.  It's simply not true.  I'm not saying that is the case of anyone here, I do want to be clear about that, but I do know people in "real life" who think that way, and I feel like the more exposure these conversations get, it's the only way they will ever have a chance of getting it.  

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

42 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I personally think that because it is necessary and so important to have it needs to be shown on tv.

Hopefully Hunter agreed to do it on camera because it was so important.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, smores said:

So many people assume that because they have an experience like mine, your experiences don't happen.  It's simply not true.  I'm not saying that is the case of anyone here, I do want to be clear about that, but I do know people in "real life" who think that way, and I feel like the more exposure these conversations get, it's the only way they will ever have a chance of getting it.  

Exposure is a very powerful important tool. So many morally conservative lawmakers who suddenly change their minds about gay marriage reveal that the change was precipitated by the revelation that a beloved friend or family member was gay. Exposure matters.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

he's doing it for Reagan and that's going to get old once he has a ring on it and the baby is born. 

On another note, can we talk about that ring Reagan was wearing?  It was literally a doorknocker on a ring.  Is there a big market for this jewelry?  I did see someone on another show recently wearing her necklace, I wish I could remember what show.  I recognized it right away because it's hard to miss a doorknocker, but, seriously, how is this a thing?

image.png.9e19dba7609460fb9c13094a3ddc84a3.png

This is actually a RING.  Why?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

@biakbiak @HunterHunted 

I completely see your point(s). This type of discussion should be happening all over television. My concern is for Hunter's privacy as an individual, especially as a minor who is just shy of legal age.

15 minutes ago, nexxie said:

Hopefully Hunter agreed to do it on camera because it was so important.

Hunter is a minor. That's my big concern.

Just as I mentioned a couple of weeks back that I wasn't comfortable with Jeff's sessions with his counselor being televised, that's my concern here. Abuse of privacy is a my big issue.  Edited to add: Jeff, of course, gave his own permission. I don't agree with his choice but it is his choice as a legal adult.

Edited by ProudMary
(edited)
37 minutes ago, smores said:

On another note, can we talk about that ring Reagan was wearing?  It was literally a doorknocker on a ring.  Is there a big market for this jewelry?  I did see someone on another show recently wearing her necklace, I wish I could remember what show.  I recognized it right away because it's hard to miss a doorknocker, but, seriously, how is this a thing?

That's Reagan's awful jewelry that she makes, and for which she had her store opening.

If you look at flashbacks of Jeff, he's wearing that stupid doorknocker thing on his lapel.

Ugliest. Jewelry. Ever.

Re:  Barry's talk with Hunter.  Loved. It.

Hunter will get to maybe....25....and realize what a great dad Barry is, having these kinds of father-son bonding moments.  A little b-ball, a little life lesson.  And how much Tamika cares as well.  
Right now, Hunter is a teenager, and is basically like....yeah, dad, got it....but he will look back, and he will do this with his own son.

I'm glad they did it on camera, because it was important to see.  It's not like Hunter was being punished for something, or that there was anything Hunter had done which was private.  It was really all Barry talking, and Hunter doing the typical teenager thing of "uh huh, uh huh".   But Hunter now has it recorded, and one day, he's going to re-watch this and thank his dad.

And BTW, Hunter is enormously cute, and I bet Barry's right that all the girls are after him.  Whew.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

My concern is for Hunter's privacy as an individual, especially as a minor who is just shy of legal age.

But nothing about that convo was about anything Hunter did so I don’t see where his privacy went into it since he didn’t have a problem leaving his speeding ticket out and talking about that.

• Love 6

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Reese and Reagan have been dating for about a year at this point and her supposed best friend Tamica (and really none of the cast) had not met him until they started filming this season? Am I the only one who thinks there was some overlap between Reagan and Jeff and Reagan and Reese?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, smores said:

When I was around 20, I was driving home from work one night and was pulled over.  I can't remember why, but I couldn't find the registration and proof of insurance for my car (I don't remember if I had changed wallets and forgot to move them, or I was sure they were in the console, etc).  I did show my license, but that was it and I was clearly upset that I couldn't find the other things.  The cop told me not to worry about it, he had only pulled me over because my car matched the description of one that been used in the commission of a crime and then let me go.  No ticket, no warning, nothing.  And that's exactly the problem with the system.  

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Exposure is a very powerful important tool. So many morally conservative lawmakers who suddenly change their minds about gay marriage reveal that the change was precipitated by the revelation that a beloved friend or family member was gay. Exposure matters.

In college, we'd do a round robin for designated driver.  There were 6 of us.  5 Caucasians, 1 African American.

Never had a problem with being pulled over.  Until the 1st time TC drove.  No ticket.  We razzed him.  He didn't laugh. Chalked it up to a lack of humor.

6 weeks later, no being pulled over.  TC drives.  We get pulled over.  We joke.  He doesn't laugh. Then?  We got pulled over a second time that same night.

And that was the moment I realized that TC didn't find it funny BECAUSE THAT KIND OF SHIT HAPPENED TO HIM REGULARLY. 

My eyes have been wide open ever since.  

We've had how many cellphone videos of POC being detained, shot at ,yelled at, debased, murdered by law enforcement. But we white people don't think there's a problem. 

Because as smores pointed out, it goes down completely differently.

I'm sorry Hunter and Barry have to share publicly,  these life lessons ONLY BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HAVE A DIFFERENT, TRYANICAL SET OF RULES IN THE FIRST PLACE.   Hunter and the young men from The Son of a Saint organization have a completely different set of rules to follow because we force that on them.

If Barry's conversation with Hunter has even the smallest impact on educating young men to the world they are forced to deal with and to enlightening those of us who don't?  It HAS to be done.

Not that normally I think Bravo is the place to be educated in terms of social issues......but I've decided SCNO ain't our usual sloppy, messy tv.

• Love 19
(edited)
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Just as I mentioned a couple of weeks back that I wasn't comfortable with Jeff's sessions with his counselor being televised, that's my concern here. Abuse of privacy is a my big issue.  Edited to add: Jeff, of course, gave his own permission. I don't agree with his choice but it is his choice as a legal adult.

One reason why all kinds of ugly shit, like spousal abuse/incest and the like happens is because people say "it's private, let's keep it in the family."   I think @HunterHunted made some great points about what happens when stuff isn't brought into the light.

This needs to be talked about over and over and over again until these fucking cops get on the clue bus and stop thinking that every black person is a criminal.  

I don't understand Tamica at all.  She's never been Reagan's friend.  If Reagan was her friend, she'd be in her wedding period.  Tamica won't be anybody's friend unless they act the way SHE wants them to act.   She can't even be happy for her friend, and that says a lot about Tamica.  Sure Reagan talks a lot about herself, but that's because she's happy, she's going to have a baby, let the woman have her moment and stop being such a wet blanket.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5

Perhaps it's just me having an issue with the overall invasiveness of reality TV in general, which seems to be fine with cast members, giving up a good deal of their privacy in order to be reality TV stars. The three Southern Charm incarnations are the only reality TV programs I've ever watched so I don't have a lot to compare this to.

What I want to say is that I agree with everything that's been written above about the necessity of black parents having these conversations with their kids from an early age and getting that information out. We see again and again the difference between the treatment of people who look like Brock Turner vs those who look like Eric Garner, Sandra Bland, Michael Brown, Freddie Gray, Walter Scott and so many others, both by law enforcement officers and by the criminal justice system and it is appalling to me. 

I still and always will have issues with privacy, the sharing of personal information (and data, don't get me started there) but in this case, several of you have changed my mind. If Barry and Tamica were OK with Hunter being on camera during the conversation, very likely because they thought it was an important one for not only Hunter to hear, but also the SCNO viewing audience, then it's not my place to disagree with their choice. I'd also like to apologize to @HunterHunted for my comments that upset her so. I'm very sorry. Invasion of privacy may be one of my big issues, but even it takes a back seat to my belief that white people in the US and around the world, need to listen and truly hear what black people, and other people of color, have to say on issues that only they can understand.

• Love 5

I'm glad Tamica realized that Jeff was being honest and that his reaction was authentic. I thought they collectively handled that situation really well.

Reagan finally being called out for her selfishness. It's okay for her to be consumed with being in love and now jumping into a marriage and baby so quickly but show some consideration that she left people out of her life and the world moved on without her and it's not her right to feel abandoned by them simply because they didn't stop their world to make her the centre of it.

So Tamica didn't even know she was a bridesmaid? lol.

Justin told Kelsey that he was in the process of getting an appointment for a psychologist last episode...but this episode he told his mom he was 'thinking' about seeing a psychologist. Uhhhh...

I really liked Jon's performance art piece. Loved that he involved New Orleans youth.

Reagan was out of line with Racheal and he was too stupid to take Reese's very obvious social cues to back off. She stepped in it.

Can't wait for next week...they all legit poke fun at Jon's neon turtleneck, haha.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, smores said:

12 hours ago, Sterling said:

That's Reagan's awful jewelry that she makes, and for which she had her store opening.

If you look at flashbacks of Jeff, he's wearing that stupid doorknocker thing on his lapel.

Ugliest. Jewelry. Ever.

Her door knocker jewelry is hideous. The door knockers barely work as earrings and pendants. They're disastrous as a ring. 

Did we know that Reagan was on season 10 of American Idol? She even made it to Hollywood Week.

• Useful 1

I fell for Michelle Tur*..

I'm cross referencing this one! I did and she was.

*I was all set to bow down at the wealth of knowledge you have about Bravo shows.  I mean, you had the name of the nice lady who dropped the dog at the shelter......Thank goodness I read the whole thread before posting!  Good one.

• LOL 1

I totally understand that personal injury law is a business, though often a shady one, but it did strike me as odd when Justin was like business is really good we have a bunch of new personal injury clients and his mom was like happy to hear it! Just call them clients!