Type keyword(s) to search

MasterChef: The Professionals (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I saw the "where are they now" episode posted yesterday (Friday) as Episode 22 of M:TP Season 12. However, a few little parts of it, such as  the brief chat with Gary Maclean, had the sound cut. Maybe to comply with Fair Usage requirements? 

After visiting some of the former contestants to see how they were faring, the judges held a competition for them back in the MC kitchen. 

I get that it was a repeat, but I had never seen it. Very enjoyable.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 2

@adhoc, if you can shoot me a PM where you found it, that would be most appreciated. 

@RealityCheck, if that is the UK's idea of controversy, that is hilariously tame! I do not remember him from Bake Off and I've watched them all! That is interesting cuz he kind of came off as a "wide-eyed kid" who'd never done anything like this. 

FYI, I saw an interview with the winner who is opening their own restaurant in the spring! 

Edited by TVbitch
On 12/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, Spunkygal said:

Hey, fellow MC The Professionals posters, hope you all have a safe and very merry holiday season filled with yummy food that “works a treat” as Marcus would say! 🍾🍾🥮🥮🍰🍰 Cheers

You too @Spunkygal, see ya round the forums!

43 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Just FYI y'all, the special that @adhoc spoke about above is not a repeat, it is new for 2019! They did a similar rematch in 2018.

So I guess that the 2018 rematch is S11 E22? I searched for that but didn’t find it. 

On 12/11/2019 at 8:00 AM, PepperMonkey said:

I would love if there were a US version of The Professionals, but we Americans seem to be such dillholes, at least on tv, that I'm not sure it could even TOUCH this version. Especially if they allowed Gordon to "host"...

On 12/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, TVbitch said:

@PepperMonkey, Gordon would try to turn it into some Hells Kitchen bullshit. I've seen forums debating which is the best Masterchef worldwide, and it seems Americans find the low key, drama free nature of this show and its contestants boring, but I find it thrilling! (Don't worry, I set them straight!)  

I think the closest in the US is Top Chef, which has professional contestants.  Unfortunately they do still feature some stupid challenges, which the British MasterChef competitions thankfully do not, not even the Celebrity version

• Love 2

I do like Top Chef the best of the US cookery shows, @Brookside, but the judging can get a bit pretentious and convoluted. 

And yeah, some of the challenges: ....go onto this boat that has a tiny galley and no utensils and the power is cutting out and feed a party of 50!

• Love 2

Good news: Marcus has been practising the skills test and posted recently about going to rehearsals so filming is a go. We may not get it as earlier as previous years, but I am looking forward to having this show back. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Athena said:

Good news: Marcus has been practising the skills test and posted recently about going to rehearsals so filming is a go. We may not get it as earlier as previous years, but I am looking forward to having this show back. 

This is the best news I’ve heard all year!

• Love 1

...Marcus has to practice?!     😲    😄

You've made my day @Athena! Especially with Masterchef AU coming to a close. 

I would think of all of them, the way they do MCUK PRO would be pretty easy to socially distant. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

...Marcus has to practice?!     😲    😄

You've made my day @Athena! Especially with Masterchef AU coming to a close. 

I would think of all of them, the way they do MCUK PRO would be pretty easy to socially distant. 

Marcus's words, not mine 🙂  It's probably more accurate for us to say he was developing the tests.

Marcus's IG has been pretty good to follow during the lockdown. It gave a lot more insights to his non-work life and he had a video filleting a whole turbot. 

Yes, I think the set up they have is conducive to distancing. They'll just have to set up a bigger table for the judges. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

It warmed my sad and battered spirit to see the March 3 pic on Marcus’ IG of him with former MC Pro contestants Craig and Stuart. This show can’t return soon enough for me. 

Craig works for Marcus at Marcus at the Berkeley. I even saw Craig in the kitchen when I got to dine there in 2018. Sadly, I only briefly saw the back of Marcus's head. 

Episode 1 is up! Great as always. Marcus' skills test was tough, very technical. The first chef they chose to go home was clear from both rounds (his signature dishes looked so sad, I was sorry for the guy) but the second one was tougher. I really enjoyed

Spoiler

Phili in both rounds

and I want to test

Spoiler

Sami's dessert it looked incredible!

(I'm not sure what the policy is about spoilers so I put them just in case but let me know if it's not necessary).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sarnia said:

Episode 1 is up! Great as always. Marcus' skills test was tough, very technical. The first chef they chose to go home was clear from both rounds (his signature dishes looked so sad, I was sorry for the guy) but the second one was tougher. I really enjoyed

Reveal spoiler

Phili in both rounds

and I want to test

Reveal spoiler

Sami's dessert it looked incredible!

(I'm not sure what the policy is about spoilers so I put them just in case but let me know if it's not necessary).

I appreciate the spoiler tags! We used tags to discuss the last season. I should have time to watch this later today and I can’t wait! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Has the episode been taken down? I’ve gone to my usual sources and they all have some sort of error message. 

Still available for me...

It was filmed after the pandemic started (in summer maybe?) but so far the impact seems light. More distance between people in the kitchen, Marcus or Monica watch outside on a screen during the skills test but I'm not sure it's due to distancing or because it adds a bit of drama when they enter the kitchen for the tasting. No more eating from the same plate, they break down the dish on three plates before eating. It might get more tricky if they do restaurant service or challenges out of the MC kitchen. Curious to see how it will be handled.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Sarnia said:

Still available for me...

It was filmed after the pandemic started (in summer maybe?) but so far the impact seems light. .... It might get more tricky if they do restaurant service or challenges out of the MC kitchen. Curious to see how it will be handled.

The restaurant challenge isn't awful imo, but my least favorite part is the one where they cook on an aircraft carrier or at a prison or at a call center. I can't recall if the professionals have to do that or if it's just the regular Janes & Joes on MC with Gregg & John. Every season the place they cook at is weirder than the last season.

Watched the first epi. Ah, I wanted both boys to go through. I thought the one deserved another go. His main was pretty and his dessert was good. 

I finally learned exactly what that layer of a beef wellington was.

Is this a shortened season? Usually they have 6 up and 4 go through. Now it's 4 up and 2 go through. I hope not! 

My biggest disappointment is blonde Monica. I prefer brunette Monica. : D

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Sarnia said:
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

My biggest disappointment is blonde Monica. I prefer brunette Monica. : D

Haven't we seen her blonde before?

Yes, she goes back and forth, I just think she looks so lovely with her natural hair color. The blonde makes her look a bit harsh to me. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Yes, she goes back and forth, I just think she looks so lovely with her natural hair color. The blonde makes her look a bit harsh to me. 

I agree. She’s so pretty and that blonde is rather harsh on her.

Been through ep2 and 3. I'm so happy that they kept

Spoiler

both Phili and Victor for the semi-final. They are both clearly talented and inventive, and I want to taste their food. Dave was a no-brainer but sending either Phili or Victor would have felt very unfair.

Now waiting for the next batch of chef and hoping that they will be as passionate and talented than this lot!

• Love 1

I am so happy that this show is back.  Like everything else 2020, it has a surreal quality.  I think I like having 4 contestants to start.  It just feels more relaxed to me.  I think they probably have Marcus & Monica observe on monitor for social distancing, but I like listening to their feedback while they're watching.  It's better than watching them make eyes at each other lol.  They will probably have to modify their outside challenges, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Bring it on!

• Love 2
On 11/12/2020 at 2:31 AM, Sarnia said:

More distance between people in the kitchen, Marcus or Monica watch outside on a screen during the skills test but I'm not sure it's due to distancing or because it adds a bit of drama when they enter the kitchen for the tasting.

15 minutes ago, babs1226 said:

I am so happy that this show is back.  Like everything else 2020, it has a surreal quality.  I think I like having 4 contestants to start.  It just feels more relaxed to me.  I think they probably have Marcus & Monica observe on monitor for social distancing, but I like listening to their feedback while they're watching.  It's better than watching them make eyes at each other lol.  They will probably have to modify their outside challenges, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Bring it on!

23 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Is this a shortened season? Usually they have 6 up and 4 go through. Now it's 4 up and 2 go through. I hope not!

We really liked the change up in having one of the chefs watch in another room. They were able to say good commentary which they couldn't in front of the contestant. I think they did it for social distancing reasons because there are a lot of cameras and crew in the studio. Where they use to have one or two cameras for the judges reactions, they would need more to get their socially distanced reactions and focus on the contestant. There's no moving camera in the judge viewing room.

They probably had to start from the smaller cohort for the same social distancing reasons. There are essential crew who we don't see and adding to the onscreen presence indoors, TPTB probably thought they could only do four contestants max.

• Useful 1

Episode 2 pissed me off!

Spoiler

Harrison deserved to go through! And I think Marcus thought that, too! I undestand they really wanted to keep Victor cuz he was going to be bringing some unusual flavors and spicing, which excites the judges. BUT, he came unprepared and unpracticed to that elimination cook, and did not even complete several elements of his dessert! Okay fine, they see something in him and want to keep him anyway, but let Harrison go through too then. The guy earned it! He had two completed dishes that were widely praised. You could tell Marcus felt bad cuz he gave him extra encouragement as he walked out. 

As for Machalea, I'm glad she got the boot cuz her over the top facial expressions were creeping me out! : D

@TVbitch

Spoiler

I agree that both Harrison and Victor should have gone through. Victor crushed the skills test and Harrison did pretty well on skills. Both did great main courses but I can’t believe Victor didn’t get several of the dessert elements on the plate which were important elements. They could have kept both of them. Remember the long ago season when the final ended with a tie when they couldn’t name just one winner? They can bend the rules when they want. 

I think I’ve said this before but the narrator is welcome to read me the dictionary anytime he wants. I love his voice! 

• Love 1

Episode 3. The return of the restaurant critics!

Spoiler

Poor Sammy. It was clear he was in over his head a bit. But with a few more years under his belt, he will create well thought out dishes. I would have gobbled up his risotto, especially with the horseradish sauce. 
Boo to no Jay Raynor! He is my fav critic. I’m hoping he’ll be on a future episode. I also enjoy William Sitwell and it was nice to have him back. He had some great comments. I did like the new critic, Jimi, very much and can forgive him for wearing such an ill-fitting jacket. 
I wanted to reach through the screen and grab Dave’s lobster dish, OMG! Watch out for him. I may dream about that lobster tonight. I was glad both Victor and Philli went through. Philli surprised me with her cookery because she seems so frazzled but good on her for being so inventive and thinking fast on her feet. Victor really delivers on his spices and seasonings. This season is not disappointing!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Episode 3. The return of the restaurant critics!

Reveal spoiler

Poor Sammy. It was clear he was in over his head a bit. But with a few more years under his belt, he will create well thought out dishes. I would have gobbled up his risotto, especially with the horseradish sauce. 
Boo to no Jay Raynor! He is my fav critic. I’m hoping he’ll be on a future episode. I also enjoy William Sitwell and it was nice to have him back. He had some great comments. I did like the new critic, Jimi, very much and can forgive him for wearing such an ill-fitting jacket. 
I wanted to reach through the screen and grab Dave’s lobster dish, OMG! Watch out for him. I may dream about that lobster tonight. I was glad both Victor and Philli went through. Philli surprised me with her cookery because she seems so frazzled but good on her for being so inventive and thinking fast on her feet. Victor really delivers on his spices and seasonings. This season is not disappointing!

I'm pretty sure we've seen Jimi Famurewa as a food critic on Masterchef before (maybe during the regular series?). I like him also.

2 hours ago, Sarnia said:

I'm pretty sure we've seen Jimi Famurewa as a food critic on Masterchef before (maybe during the regular series?). I like him also.

Thanks, @Sarnia! I don’t watch the regular version so am not familiar with him but would be happy to see him return. Gordon Ramsey ruined the US’s regular version for me so I only watch the UK’s The Professionals franchise. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Thanks, @Sarnia! I don’t watch the regular version so am not familiar with him but would be happy to see him return. Gordon Ramsey ruined the US’s regular version for me so I only watch the UK’s The Professionals franchise. 

All versions of Masterchef UK are really enjoyable. It's all about the food and no drama. Usually nice contestants. Very refreshing. I like the "Celebrity" series a lot because it's a lot of fun (although I usually don't have a clue who the celebrities are, as I'm not from UK and they seem to be mostly national celebrities, possibly a little faded).

• Love 2

@Spunkygal, I agree with @Sarnia that the regular version of MC UK is of almost equal quality to the Professionals. You are really missing out if you don't watch. And yes, even the Celebrity UK version is better than any US version and I have enjoyed watching that too! 

Now on the critic's round: Some great looking dishes. I'm okay with them putting an extra through, but then it makes me feel bad for Harrison who I think more deserved such a chance.  

The way he couldn't stop smiling while watching him work, I think Marcus has a crush on Dave. I love it when Maarcus spots real talent and can't hide his glee! 

• Love 3

Through Episode 4. Can Monica please come to my home to make me a full bowl of that pistachio whipped cream?

On the other hand, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about ants in a dessert, but

Spoiler

I'm curious to see what Jono will bring next time. He certainly has a different point of view.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 2

Jono actually managed to intrigue me about the ants, but I'm not warming to him so far (too much ego?), & the dessert as a whole just didn't look very good to me. However,

Spoiler

either the following night's skills tests were really hard and threw the contestants even into their second round, or it was just a weaker group, and they might been better off taking one from episode 5 and three from episode 4. I've forgotten who came third on Tuesday but I do recall thinking it was close between 2 & 3 and that I was rooting for #3 even though I could tell from the editing that it would probably be Jono who went through. 

• Love 2

I’m a big NO to ants in food. Some may find it interesting and good for them but I’m not intrigued enough to try it. A contestant on Halloween Wars put crickets in a tasting element and those judges weren’t having it. 

Episode 5:

Spoiler

I wasn’t surprised that they chose Santosh over Ash. He has a very interesting cuisine and I look forward to seeing what he brings. I liked Monica’s comment that the spices weren’t too “in your face.” That monkfish looked awesome and I would love to try his bitter melon chutney. It was sweet to see how much this means to Ross. Those skills tests, especially Marcus’s, are tough, especially while Gregg is chatting you up while you’re trying to execute the steps. Can’t wait for restaurant critics!

• Love 1

Is it just me, or did it seem like the camera person in ep 5 was drunk or on drugs or something.  There were some really bizarre camera angles!  I've never seen such unprofessional camera work on this show.  Fortunately it seemed like an isolated issue.  All the other episodes have been fine.

Episode 6:

Spoiler

You could tell they really wanted Jono to go through, even though his bone marrow brûlée was strange, so they are taking three chefs. The dessert sounded yucky to me. I would love to try Santosh’s octopus. I’ve never had well-prepared octopus and they all raved about how tender it was. Ross is a good chef but needs to up his creativity. 

I don’t think there’s a restaurant critic on this show that I don’t like. It’s interesting to hear what Grace will say when she closes her eyes as she takes a first bite. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Episode 6:

Hide contents

You could tell they really wanted Jono to go through, even though his bone marrow brûlée was strange, so they are taking three chefs. The dessert sounded yucky to me. I would love to try Santosh’s octopus. I’ve never had well-prepared octopus and they all raved about how tender it was. Ross is a good chef but needs to up his creativity. 

I don’t think there’s a restaurant critic on this show that I don’t like. It’s interesting to hear what Grace will say when she closes her eyes as she takes a first bite. 

Spoiler

Jono will probably be a better cook in 10 or 15 years when he gets over the pretensions. He's clearly very skilled, and I don't in principle object to using these odd ingredients, but it just feels like gimmickry for an audience. It's too intellectual and performative, even though it's also clearly driven by an understanding of how these things taste and work together. I find myself wishing things didn't work because he's irritating me!

I was glad the other two went through - and went through before him - and rescind my comment about episode 5 that perhaps they should have only taken one chef. Santosh's food looking amazing & he seems like one who can settle into the competition and grow even further. The two from ep 5 (Santosh & Ross) did seem a little rougher in round 1 than the episode 4 chefs, though.  I had started off the episode rooting for Alex (general excellence) and Ross (the clear winner of ep 5 and such a wonderful attitude about bringing joy to his clients at the care home through his cooking), but after round 1, I was definitely rooting for Alex & Santosh, as the two whose food I'd most want to eat.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2020 at 10:15 PM, akr said:
  Hide contents

Jono will probably be a better cook in 10 or 15 years when he gets over the pretensions. He's clearly very skilled, and I don't in principle object to using these odd ingredients, but it just feels like gimmickry for an audience. It's too intellectual and performative, even though it's also clearly driven by an understanding of how these things taste and work together. I find myself wishing things didn't work because he's irritating me!

I was glad the other two went through - and went through before him - and rescind my comment about episode 5 that perhaps they should have only taken one chef. Santosh's food looking amazing & he seems like one who can settle into the competition and grow even further. The two from ep 5 (Santosh & Ross) did seem a little rougher in round 1 than the episode 4 chefs, though.  I had started off the episode rooting for Alex (general excellence) and Ross (the clear winner of ep 5 and such a wonderful attitude about bringing joy to his clients at the care home through his cooking), but after round 1, I was definitely rooting for Alex & Santosh, as the two whose food I'd most want to eat.

Ep 6 continued:

Spoiler

Agreed. I can't warm up to Jono. He's way too overconfident and sure of himself. Everything he does feels too gimmicky. I agree that he has skill and I don't mind the ingredients or ethos, but it always sounds like he is doing it to be flashy. If we compare him to someone like Philly who is also extremely innovative but doesn't come across so pushy.

I prefer Santosh and Alex food wise too. I like Santosh but I worry he won't go very well since he doesn't have the classical French background and all around dessert skills. I like Alex. He is the typical young contestant on this show: full of grit and talent and willingness to learn more.

• Love 2