Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Cherry

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

On 7/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, DarkRaichu said:

Nice insight on Translucent.  According to him, his superpower was observation, not invisibility or diamond skin

I figured he was just full of hot air and hubris. Translucent might've figured himself a keen observer of human nature, but I thought his assessment of Hughie was fairly trite and non-specific. Plus, it ultimately proved fatal. He might've survived if he'd done anything else besides giving Hughie a condescending "attaboy" and slowly sauntering towards the exit.  

• Love 8

Pop goes the weasel! Ewww...

Other than the obvious Invisible Man, what hero with indestructible skin is Translucent modeled after? Colossus? The Thing? Regardless, I was expecting Hughie to figure out how to kill him. I figured putting poison in his water would work too, but that's not quite as graphic and humiliating as exploding C4 shoved up your ass. Though in all honesty, I'd expect the souped innards to be shooting out his mouth, nose, penis, and ass since the skin is impenetrable.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Richness said:

Other than the obvious Invisible Man, what hero with indestructible skin is Translucent modeled after? Colossus? The Thing? Regardless, I was expecting Hughie to figure out how to kill him. I figured putting poison in his water would work too, but that's not quite as graphic and humiliating as exploding C4 shoved up your ass. Though in all honesty, I'd expect the souped innards to be shooting out his mouth, nose, penis, and ass since the skin is impenetrable.

We had the same conversation in our house. Not sure what it says about us. 

5 hours ago, Garden Wafers said:

I figured he was just full of hot air and hubris. Translucent might've figured himself a keen observer of human nature, but I thought his assessment of Hughie was fairly trite and non-specific. Plus, it ultimately proved fatal. He might've survived if he'd done anything else besides giving Hughie a condescending "attaboy" and slowly sauntering towards the exit.  

Yeah, for someone who thinks he reads people well, maybe telling the guy who just lost his girlfriend that he can go back to his life isn't the most insightful comment. Then again, he was feeling pretty confident now that Homelander showed up. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Episode just started but, I have to give a shout out to the Trunk Cam! LOL Oh, I'm going to miss Supernatural.

So, is Homelander in love/obsessed with Stillwater?

2 episodes in and, this is a great show. 

I'm worried about Starlight, there's 2 ways I can see it going. Either she gets so disillusioned she quits or plays Whistleblower or she ends up being the big villain. I really like her and they picked a great actress for the role, she has such a wholesome look to her.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Episode just started but, I have to give a shout out to the Trunk Cam! LOL Oh, I'm going to miss Supernatural.

So, is Homelander in love/obsessed with Stillwater?

2 episodes in and, this is a great show. 

I'm worried about Starlight, there's 2 ways I can see it going. Either she gets so disillusioned she quits or plays Whistleblower or she ends up being the big villain. I really like her and they picked a great actress for the role, she has such a wholesome look to her.

Every time I look at the actress she reminds me sooo much of young Joanna Garcia from the first season of Reba. In fact a lot of the cast kept reminding me of other actors just from looks alone I spent the first couple episodes deciding which of the cast looked like (Hughie is young Rainn Wilson and no one can change my mind). 

• Love 6

Erin Moriarty really reminds me of Anna Paquin. 

I have not read the comics but this show was excellent.

Except for Karl Urban's accent, which started off as mostly his own and descended into Dick Van Dyke  levels of cocknev over the course of the show. He is fab, but that was really distracting.

• Love 4

Inspired use of cherrybomb as the closing song!

For a bunch of super hero killers these guys are really bad at it. My first thought was trying to pour some acid down the guys throat, the second was to stick that high powered rifle up his ass. Would have probably made more than enough damage had that bullet bounced off his skin on the inside and a ricochet a few times.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Miles said:

Inspired use of cherrybomb as the closing song!

For a bunch of super hero killers these guys are really bad at it. My first thought was trying to pour some acid down the guys throat, the second was to stick that high powered rifle up his ass. Would have probably made more than enough damage had that bullet bounced off his skin on the inside and a ricochet a few times.

I kept thinking drown him.  I do like how they're introducing the tea, we got Hughi/Butcher in Episode 1 and now Frenchie in episode 2.  

8 hours ago, Indigo Luna said:

Every time I look at the actress she reminds me sooo much of young Joanna Garcia from the first season of Reba.

You're so right, she does look like Chyanne.  

On 7/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, Garden Wafers said:

He also figured Homelander was outside looking for him so he might have been overconfident at that time.  He did read Hughie as someone who could be manipulated.  Hughie was that person up to a few moment before the big pop.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, Richness said:

Emma Frost with diamond skin is another. 

Translucent's skin is also similar to Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist (minus the invisible part)

• Love 2
On 7/28/2019 at 9:36 PM, Indigo Luna said:

Every time I look at the actress she reminds me sooo much of young Joanna Garcia from the first season of Reba. In fact a lot of the cast kept reminding me of other actors just from looks alone I spent the first couple episodes deciding which of the cast looked like (Hughie is young Rainn Wilson and no one can change my mind). 

I totally thought of  Joanna Garcia too!

• Love 1
On 7/29/2019 at 1:41 AM, dini said:

Erin Moriarty really reminds me of Anna Paquin. 

I have not read the comics but this show was excellent.

Except for Karl Urban's accent, which started off as mostly his own and descended into Dick Van Dyke  levels of cocknev over the course of the show. He is fab, but that was really distracting.

She reminds me of a young Kristy Swanson, especially her voice.

• Love 2

At least we didn't have to wait long to find out the answer to the burning question that the two kids were arguing about at the beginning of the first episode. Since we now know that Translucent has diamond skin, then the Deep would not be able to order a shark to bite Translucent's dick off, and he would thus go down to defeat.

Although, now that I think about it, maybe the Deep could shove an electric eel up Translucent's butt? But then again there still remains the problem that Translucent is invisible, but I wonder if something like a dolphin's sonar would be able to locate Translucent's butthole? Of course, the Deep would have to figure out that Translucent was vulnerable to electricity in the first place, and since he doesn't seem to have a lot going on between his ears, I seriously doubt he would be able to figure all this out. So in conclusion, I would have to say that I agree with the kid that said Translucent would kick the Deep's ass in a fight. On the other hand, I did like Aquaman, so I probably would tend to agree with the other kid, who preferred to see the Deep's movie. Yeah, Invisible Force sounds boring and the bus poster for the movie wasn't all that anyways.

This is an example of the very important thoughts that run through my head when I am trying to fall asleep at night.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, festivus said:

Hughie (Jack Quaid) is Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan's son. I think he looks a whole lot like his mom's original face but when he smiles I can see Dennis.

Definitely see Dennis Quaid in his smile

• Love 2

That business with Doppelganger and the Senator appears nothing but timely to me!

I haven't read the comics, so I wonder: Is there some kind of hierarchy among supes at the corporation? Like the Seven get all the attention, but there are others around?

Frenchy's accent is way too thick. He may have some good lines, if I could only make them out. 

I don't have a good enough ear for accents to know how authentic Frenchy really sounds, but, until I got used to him, he not only sounded like he as speaking in a natural fashion, but he was also exactly as hard to understand as real life immigrants with non-Hollywood accents usually do until I get used to their cadence, so for me it actually helped with suspension of disbelief.

• Love 2
On 7/29/2019 at 12:41 AM, dini said:

I really think they ought to have Dick Van Dyke and Dawn Wells play Butcher's parents at some point. It would explain so much about his horrible Mockney accent!

The PR side of the Seven is actually quite amusing - pre-arranged 'team ups', vetted crimes, supporting narratives, all geared towards getting positive publicity and better exposure. Capitalist superheroism by appointment.

The idea of national defence being outsourced to superheroes, and the politics of it, were interesting. I hope there's more of that in the show.

The Deep whining about only being asked to fight water adjacent crimes was funny, and Starlight calling him "just the fish guy". They're being cagey about Starlight's power levels, so I'm guessing we'll get a reveal that she has the potential to defeat any of the Seven. 

The barely concealed tension between the various members of the Seven is interesting, and not too surprising, given their personalities. Homelander is creepy. A supposedly wholesome, all-american hero who seems to have a case of arrested development and a fixation on Stillwell as an oedipal mother figure.

I'm surprised to see one of the Seven killed so soon, but getting rid of Translucent does deal with one of the biggest plot holes that the show could have - that being, an 'invisible' guy who could be watching anything, without anyone knowing. I'm also surprised it took them as long as it did to figure out that they needed to get something under his skin. Explosives up the arse would have been one of my first thoughts, but I guess I'm more genre savvy than the characters in this.

Hughie took too long to get with the programme. Be more ruthless, kid, you know what these people are like, now. The actor can definitely do cold and ruthless, and I look forward to when he gets to do it in more than just flashes.

Edited by Danny Franks

I finally started watching this and it strikes me that these supes (the homophone makes giggle. How do you kill a supe? You eat it. Sorry.) are not scary for the obvious reasons.

They are not scary because they are superpowered but because they are awful people with too much power. Homelander as the overpowered psychotic child who stares at his own portrait, Deep with the casting couch, Translucent, the peeping Tom, A-train, a regular douchebag.

I will try watching anything Kripke develops, but I'm quite intrigued by this. Sooo much better than Timeless. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 2:03 PM, supposebly said:

Homelander as the overpowered psychotic child who stares at his own portrait,

Well, he's staring at his own portrait because behind it is the wall of Stillwell's office. He's not staring at it he's staring through it. obsessive peeping Tom with mommy issues. lol still crazy, just different type of crazy.

though who knows why HIS portrait is hanging there, and not, say, Deep's. That would have been interesting LOL

• Love 1

I've been meaning to start watching The Boys, but hearing Jensen Ackles will be joining the cast for S3 was my tipping point.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  A little gory for me but it's telegraphed enough that I can close my eyes in time 🙃   I kept wondering why they didn't just drop the cage in the bay and drown Translucent.  Due to his carousing reputation, the Vought people didn't notice he was missing for a long time.  Not as dramatic visually of course.

Homelander's peeping Tom routine watching Stillwater breast pump was truly disturbing.  His comment about a baby at 'her age' was cruel.  

I haven't read the comics so I'm just speculating, but Hughie seems to be harboring a latent superpower of his own.  Is rage going to unlock something in him?  Will a dose of "V" pump up some ability he might have?  Simon Pegg seems wasted in a role simply as Hughie's dad.  I can't help but wonder if his insistence on Hughie being meek is actually done on purpose to keep him from manifesting.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Frost said:

I've been meaning to start watching The Boys, but hearing Jensen Ackles will be joining the cast for S3 was my tipping point.  I'm really enjoying it so far. 

I'm with you on this. I've been hearing people at work talk about how good the show was and it was on the backburner to check out. I started watching after Jensen's announcement because I want to follow him on his next project. It's really good and the dark nature of the supposed heroes makes the show more interesting. Dropping Translucent's cage to drown him seems like a good idea. I was wondering why they didn't just shoot the round that they specially made for him up his ass instead of putting a bomb up there if they were dead set on killing him. I guess the threat of the bomb could work for interrogation purposes but Hughie was the only one that seemed to want to pump him for info.

• Love 1

The "Man on Fire" ass bomb thing is definitely better for striking terror into your target than trying to keep a gun up his ass while threatening him.

From a chemical perspective, dropping him into molten iron at about 500C should effectively break down the diamond skin.

Hey @Frost and @DeeDee79, familiar faces. :)   I've been meaning to watch The Boys for a while too and announcing Jensen Ackles casting was just the spur I needed too.  Really enjoying it and a great cast.  Everyone has already made  all the comments I was thinking of so my comment is probably more silly than anything. 

I haven't noticed if anyone mentioned (and probably missed it if they did) but Black Noir is named "Black Black".  Love the over top "darkness" of the name for a Batman analogue. :)  I know not much has been revealed about the character, due to his being the strong silent type, but is there any sort of background on why that name?  Is it just meant to be a little joke about that kind of "everything is dark and tragic" type of character?

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 1

Just started watching this show and made it through this episode.  So the purpose of killing Supes is...what, exactly?  Vought is a corrupt organization, for sure, and should be taken down but surely not every Supe is "in the know".  Starlight certainly had no idea prior to becoming one of The Seven - and even now she doesn't know how far and deep the corruption goes.  And while it seems that some of the Supes are grade A douchebags, that doesn't mean they deserve to be murdered.  Does Billy Butcher have a system for deciding which Supes should die as opposed to which ones don't?  Or does he (and French dude) want to kill them all?

• Love 1

Just started watching this, though I'm not a huge fan of shows with gore so I sort of have to watch tentatively in case anything gross occurs.  However, the story is engaging and the concept is interesting, so I'll continue.  

Hughie and Starlight are likeable protagonists so far, though I'm a little disappointed he decided to press the button to kill the transparent guy.  I agree with rove4 that it's not right to murder all the Supes just because they're part of the corrupt organization.  

• Love 1