Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Name of the Game

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

When a Supe kills the love of his life, A/V salesman Hughie Campbell teams up with Billy Butcher, a vigilante hell-bent on punishing corrupt Supes -- and Hughie's life will never be the same again.

Premiere date: July 26, 2019

That was a hell of a strong start. None of that "It's just a pilot, so be patient and wait for it to get better" shit; it's just honestly coming out of the gate as strong entertainment. And I didn't even want to like it, because I can't help but think that choosing this show had something to do with not renewing The Tick. And I do love me some Tick, but, whatever. I'm already invested in this new series. The only reason I'm not binging forward right into the second episode tonight is that I am very tired and would not retain enough details, so I'm gonna slow my roll just enough of a tad to enjoy this thing properly.

• Love 9

I liked it, a very cynical but probably way more realistic take on what a real life superhero business would become. 

I've only seen the first episode so far but I'm going to space it out I think.

Poor Starlight, where she's explaining why she didn't fight even though she certainly could have broke my heart.

The bit at the beginning with Robin being vapourised really got me, ahh. Is A-Train's speed actually out of control so he couldn't navigate or was he in such a rush that he didn't look where he was going. 

I clocked the mayor was going to die from his first scene and that something was obviously going to involve Homelander the "Saint" but interesting...

Always nice to see Karl Urban, with an extra side of crazy this time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Is A-Train's speed actually out of control so he couldn't navigate or was he in such a rush that he didn't look where he was going.

Or was he drunk or high?

• Love 2

It's not TV, it's HB Oh wait. This is Amazon Prime, though it felt very much like Game of Thrones but with superheroes.

While Thrones focused on naked women, this show seemed to focus on naked men. That's not a complaint, just an (leering) observation. As a result, it reminded me of This Is Us's gratuitous butt shot to start the series. It was done simply for the shock value and to lure people in. Granted, there are further nude scenes in later episodes, but nowhere near as blatant as the premier.

However, I was way more repulsed by all the gore, which they do continue to showcase throughout the series. Some of the gore required that I look away.

Otherwise, the story and acting are fine. I was hooked and had to binge the entire series in one setting. I'm not sure if there's anything unique or different about the shows premise: that superheroes can have a dark side, and that corporations can be evil, manipulative empires. It's been a long time since I've seen the Watchman (and I've never read the comic), but it seems similar to that. Nor have I seen or read much of the Justice League Dark or other alternative versions of them. Speaking of comics, it wasn't until I came here that I discovered this was based on a comic.

I suppose that's my biggest concern is most of the Seven are DC hero homages/parallels/archetypes. Where are the Marvel based heroes? Let's see, we have HomeLander=Superman (though he's also 50% Captain America fusion), Queen Maeve=Wonder Woman (movie version), Deep=Aquaman, A-Train=Flash, Black Noir=Snake Eyes, Translucent=Invisible Man. Granted, the last two aren't DC heroes, but that's neither here nor there. Not sure who Star light is though (maybe Captain Marvel?). Don't forget that the retired Lamplighter=(Golden Age) Green Lantern, at least in appearance if not powers.

Oh well, like I said, I enjoyed this show enough to binge watch. It wouldn't be enough to get me to subscribe to Amazon Prime, but I'm finally glad to see a show that I enjoy. I'm sure some of their other offerings are just a good if not better, but I'm not interested in seeing any of them. I never liked any previous incarnations of the Tick, so I never watched Primer's version, though I might need need to give that a try next.

Also, I've tired limiting myself to discussion about just this episode, though I find that difficult to being able to binge watch the entire series. Apologies if I strayed.

6 hours ago, Richness said:

It's not TV, it's HB Oh wait. This is Amazon Prime, though it felt very much like Game of Thrones but with superheroes.

While Thrones focused on naked women, this show seemed to focus on naked men. That's not a complaint, just an (leering) observation. As a result, it reminded me of This Is Us's gratuitous butt shot to start the series. It was done simply for the shock value and to lure people in. Granted, there are further nude scenes in later episodes, but nowhere near as blatant as the premier.

However, I was way more repulsed by all the gore, which they do continue to showcase throughout the series. Some of the gore required that I look away.

Otherwise, the story and acting are fine. I was hooked and had to binge the entire series in one setting. I'm not sure if there's anything unique or different about the shows premise: that superheroes can have a dark side, and that corporations can be evil, manipulative empires. It's been a long time since I've seen the Watchman (and I've never read the comic), but it seems similar to that. Nor have I seen or read much of the Justice League Dark or other alternative versions of them. Speaking of comics, it wasn't until I came here that I discovered this was based on a comic.

I suppose that's my biggest concern is most of the Seven are DC hero homages/parallels/archetypes. Where are the Marvel based heroes? Let's see, we have HomeLander=Superman (though he's also 50% Captain America fusion), Queen Maeve=Wonder Woman (movie version), Deep=Aquaman, A-Train=Flash, Black Noir=Snake Eyes, Translucent=Invisible Man. Granted, the last two aren't DC heroes, but that's neither here nor there. Not sure who Star light is though (maybe Captain Marvel?). Don't forget that the retired Lamplighter=(Golden Age) Green Lantern, at least in appearance if not powers.

Oh well, like I said, I enjoyed this show enough to binge watch. It wouldn't be enough to get me to subscribe to Amazon Prime, but I'm finally glad to see a show that I enjoy. I'm sure some of their other offerings are just a good if not better, but I'm not interested in seeing any of them. I never liked any previous incarnations of the Tick, so I never watched Primer's version, though I might need need to give that a try next.

Also, I've tired limiting myself to discussion about just this episode, though I find that difficult to being able to binge watch the entire series. Apologies if I strayed.

There are no marvel type characters because this was never meant to riff on Marvel. This comic book (and now tv show) was designed to riff on DC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Richness said:

I'm not sure, why would that be a concern? The Seven is pretty clearly a Justice League clone. Black Noir is loosely a Batman analogue. Starlight roughly Stargirl. Translucent, no real direct connection, but he fit the plot and allowed for some invisibility gags. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Richness said:

It's a scene straight from the comic, and if anything it was toned down considerably. Which, considering it's Garth Ennis, shouldn't be surprising. His whole shtick is shock value. The comic series was originally sold as something that would "out-Preacher Preacher" in terms of violence, sex,and shock value 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Richness said:

I suppose that's my biggest concern is most of the Seven are DC hero homages/parallels/archetypes. Where are the Marvel based heroes?

7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

There are no marvel type characters because this was never meant to riff on Marvel. This comic book (and now tv show) was designed to riff on DC.

The comic does go after some Marvel characters eventually, the X-Men in particular. But the Justice League analogues are the ultimate adversaries because they are the most powerful and famous of the heroes in the comic's universe.

FWIW, I found the comic wildly uneven, and therefore ultimately a bit of a disappointment.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Richness said:

Except The Boys is actually entertaining.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Except The Boys is actually entertaining.

Games of Thrones has now entered the long list of well love shows that become punching bags because they don't nail the landing in many peoples eye. I never want to be a showrunner on a TV show.

2 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

The comic does go after some Marvel characters eventually, the X-Men in particular. But the Justice League analogues are the ultimate adversaries because they are the most powerful and famous of the heroes in the comic's universe.

Well this series, at least right now, is not about the later on. They are not trying to tackle all if comics and riffing on the justice league has always been the most well known element of it.

Enjoyed the pilot. Feels like they pumped a ton of money into this. 

• Love 6

It's interesting that butcher doesn't seem to know that homelander is pretty much the worst of them. In the comics he knows full well. I figured the shows writers wanted the viewers to find out over time and be shocked (also why they didn't have him in the blowjob scene), but that didn't last long...

Also in the comics Butcher had some ties to the government, but here he seems to be a full on vigilanty. That might be interesting.

I guess they couldn't get Simon Pegg full time and/or he's too old for the role now, but I thought it was a nice nod that they had him as the dad.

All in all, really good episode. Looking foreward to more.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:52 AM, Richness said:

They cancelled the Tick?! Those bastards!

But I don't think that has anything to do with this show. They are different genres, the Tick being comedy and this, not, very much not...

Also Amazon has been distrubiting Preacher internationally, which is a show by Seth Rogan based on a Garth Ennis comic, just like this show and I guess that went well for them. It just makes sense that they would want to build on that, with Preacher coming to an end soon.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:11 AM, CletusMusashi said:

And I didn't even want to like it, because I can't help but think that choosing this show had something to do with not renewing The Tick. And I do love me some Tick

This is a show based on a Garth Ennis comic. What did you expect? Just be glad it isn't Crossed. ;)

9 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Games of Thrones has now entered the long list of well love shows that become punching bags because they don't nail the landing in many peoples eye. I never want to be a showrunner on a TV show.

These guys didn't just not nail the landing, they blew up the plane with everybody in it. After they ran out of books, Game of Thrones bacame a massive shitshow and that was in season 5, not just at the end. People just gave it a pass for way too long.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Miles said:

I guess they couldn't get Simon Pegg full time and/or he's too old for the role now, but I thought it was a nice nod that they had him as the dad.

Simon is definitely too old for Hughie now, and while I like the nod, it kinda just just makes me disappointed in the Hughie they got. Maybe it's that I have a young Simon in my minds eye as Hughie, maybe it's making him a New Yorker(I'm sure it's much easier on the production and budget), but he just feels off. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, moonshine71 said:

Simon is definitely too old for Hughie now,

I mean too old to be exactly like in the comics, but he could have still been a guy with a fiance who loses her and has to overcome his fears to do something about it.

20 minutes ago, moonshine71 said:

and while I like the nod, it kinda just just makes me disappointed in the Hughie they got. Maybe it's that I have a young Simon in my minds eye as Hughie, maybe it's making him a New Yorker(I'm sure it's much easier on the production and budget), but he just feels off.  

Yeah, I feel the same. I really like Butcher and Frenchie, but Hughie doesn't quite work. Pegg has a unique brand, that I guess is impossible to capture by anybody else.

I think they should have just cast him as Hughie, even if he's older than in the comics. But I still think the main reason probably was that Pegg would have been too expnsive full time. I mean dude is a movie star now. So lets hope the Hughie we've got gets better with time.

21 hours ago, Miles said:

I mean too old to be exactly like in the comics, but he could have still been a guy with a fiance who loses her and has to overcome his fears to do something about it.

Yeah, I feel the same. I really like Butcher and Frenchie, but Hughie doesn't quite work. Pegg has a unique brand, that I guess is impossible to capture by anybody else.

I think they should have just cast him as Hughie, even if he's older than in the comics. But I still think the main reason probably was that Pegg would have been too expnsive full time. I mean dude is a movie star now. So lets hope the Hughie we've got gets better with time.

Idk, I think Pegg could handle it in a vacuum, but it would change his dynamic w/ Butcher a lot and even more w/ Annie(who I thought was great. I never really cared for her in Jessica Jones, but she nailed this). I can't see pairing a 50ish Pegg w/ 25 yr old Moriarty(who plays younger than that), and I don't think an aged up Annie would work, more so than an aged up Hughie.

Urban is perfect as Butcher. I like the actor they have playing The Frenchman, but I kinda wish they wouldn't have changed his personality so much. There was something great about this ridiculously over the top affectionate Frenchman that was also a brutal killer.

• Love 1

Between this and the episode on the X-Files where the genie granted that guy his wish of becoming invisible and Deadpool 2, I'm starting to think that maybe invisibility isn't that great of a superpower to have...

• Love 1

I'm unfamiliar with the source material so Hughie doesn't seem weird to me except occasionlly when Jack Quaid pulls an expression that looks so much like his dad that it pulls me out of the scene a bit.  I'm hoping it gets less jarring to me as it goes on.  I mean clearly all of these actors have moments where they look like their parents I just don't know what their parents look like, so....    

Elizabeth Shue!   

I enjoyed this.  I'll watch the rest.  I think I'll hold off on the comic until, I have seen the first season... maybe.

• Love 3

I just watched this and wanted to know if anyone else caught that star girl had a bit of a blue tinge to her mouth when she was sitting on the bench talking to Hughie? Were we supposed to notice that and was it from the aqua man because.....that was kinda....detailed. Maybe I imagined it or the actress ate some candy before the scene?

Why on Earth are they setting this in New York when it's clear that the production was nowhere near NY, and that the writers had never set foot in the city (hint: no one calls Rockefeller Center just "Rockefeller")?

• Love 1

I'm finally watching this, after having it on my 'I might watch this' list for a while. I'm not a big fan of Garth Ennis' nihilistic take on superheroes, it often veers into the juvenile, gross out stuff (like most of his work), but I enjoyed this first episode. The character analogues for the Seven are very on the nose, but hopefully they'll be more than just riffs on DC's Justice League.

The superheroes are not explicitly evil, just selfish assholes who are caught up in their own specialness. The world is geared around constantly validating their specialness, and freeing them from any consequences of their actions.

I really liked Erin Moriarty in the first season of Jessica Jones, and I like her so far in this. The casting couch stuff was nasty, but sadly predictable and realistic. It would be nice if she got to play someone who isn't a victim, so hopefully Starlight becomes a part of taking the Seven down.

Hughie was a bit of a sadsack, but I guess that's the basis of the character, and he obviously had plenty of reason to be mopey. The scene with his girlfriend was shocking (particularly so, after just seeing the actress in The Expanse, where she had a much bigger role), and served as a great hook for viewers.

There were a lot of familiar faces in this. Simon Pegg, obviously, and it was nice to see Elizabeth Shue as the Val Cooper of this universe and Dominique McElligott, who was really good in Hell on Wheels.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, Richness said:

Know this is a old post but only just discovered this show. Perhaps could of reviewed the whole season in the last episode of the season discussion not the first. Or at least declared spoilers I had stop reading